PDA

View Full Version : what would we expect from a new chairman/owner?

Hibbyradge
02-11-2013, 11:00 AM
What would people expect from a new Chairman/CEO?

Hibernia Na Eir
02-11-2013, 11:03 AM
those who hated pat better hope that their new chosen one succeeds.

londonhibby
02-11-2013, 11:08 AM
I would want to see a business-minded chairman who either knows football inside out or knows himself well enough to know that he needs a director of football to take care of that side of the business, thus freeing him up to grow revenues etc.

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Someone with real drive and gusto, who can lead us forward.

Someone who can engage with supporter feelings.

Someone who can lead and direct the Club to much better success levels, will show real ambitions, and wont accept continued mediocrity.....

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 11:13 AM

:confused::confused:

matty_f
02-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Someone who can lead and direct the Club to much better success levels, will show real ambitions, and wont accept continued mediocrity.....

Completely agree. We need someone who wants success and drags the club up with them.

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Completely agree. We need someone who wants success and drags the club up with them.

:aok:

AgentDaleCooper
02-11-2013, 12:12 PM
like many, i don't have much faith in Rodders...but what are we expecting of him that he isn't delivering? He has made a few seriously crap appointments, but aside from that, what i'm wondering is if what the fans/club actually NEEDS in order to survive is a period of speculation and accumulation - we have the infrastructure in place, and if we were to bring in really good young players we'd be able to sell them on afterwards...

obviously i have no idea what i'm on about, but i suppose my question is - how does the chairman, whoever he may be, make it exciting to be a hibs fan again?

Sir David Gray
02-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Pretty much bang on for me. The current board has continually shown that they're incapable of delivering any of the above so it's vital that we bring in people who can.

Gordy M
02-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Is it just his managerial appointments that folk want rid of rp. I agree that this is his most important job, but if he gets this one right then would there still be a need for change? Im genuinely interested in what other things rp should be doing, or isnt doing at the mo, that people want him gone?

AgentDaleCooper
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM

no offence intended, but IMO that's not much of an answer - 'i expect our chairman to be good, and to make hibs better, because he wants hibs to be better'.

in fairness to petrie, he has sacked a bunch of managers who were mediocre - so it's not entirely fair to say that he accepts mediocrity. as far as i can see, the purse strings are the main problem with him - but is a reduced responsibility-in-spending a responsible way to run the club? i'm not saying it's not, i'm just suggesting that that is the main thing that can bring genuine excitement back to hibs, save for a great bunch of youngsters and a surprise success story in management...

Beefster
02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Some folk see the man in charge of Hibs as having the job of appointing the manager and giving him enough money. That's an important part but it's only part. The man in charge sets the ambition and morale of the club. He is ultimately in charge of stuff like the recruitment of players and staff, the catering at ER, the shop, the public face of the club, the interaction with the support, the ticketing operations etc etc.

So everything is dandy then?

Onion
02-11-2013, 12:47 PM
We need an experienced business man who can get on with people, can construct and manage a 5 year plan, a good communicator, can set a positive, high performing culture, doesn't suffer fools gladly and can take tough decisions. Someone with drive and ambition, influential and able to attract new lines of funding for the club, and rewards employees and himself for success both on and off the pitch with emphasis on the team's performance.

Alfred E Newman
02-11-2013, 01:02 PM

Do you mean sack the manager quicker?
Surely the drive to success has to come from the manager with the help of his players.

RIP
02-11-2013, 01:19 PM
There is absolutely NO NEED for a new Chairman. Rod is only part time (he has numerous other directorships) but as a football administrator he is very well thought of in the SPFL and SFA. There is no need to throw that baby out with the bathwater.

However due to cost-cutting he has being trying to do two jobs. As a non-executive chairman he is a steady pair of hands. What we need is younger, energetic Chief Executive to:-

Halt the decline of the club that's been evident since 2007
Make better use of the infrastructure generated under Rod
Inspire all staff under his management
Create targets and share these openly with stakeholders - the supporters
Run effective board meetings and be an effective manager of people
Regenerate the club with great leadership
Create a performance culture from top to bottom
Build strong links and meet regularly with the Hibernian Family
Communicate well, openly, honestly and frequently
Deliver results on the park
Deliver entertainment
Ensure happy customers
Rebuild the reputation of Hibs in the media
Put energy and commitment into working with the HSA and LWT
Deliver the 'Winning the Hibernian Way' Programme in full

There are good candidates around (see link)
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leeann-dempster-survived-sexism-become-2049539

--------
02-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Do you mean sack the manager quicker?
Surely the drive to success has to come from the manager with the help of his players.

I would have thought that the CEO/chairman and owner sets/set the atmosphere and culture of the club as a whole.

What Beefster says in #12.

If that's wrong, the team coach/ manager's on a hiding to nothing.

IMO the real problem at Hibs is with Petrie and the Invisible Godfather.

southfieldhibby
02-11-2013, 01:26 PM
There is absolutely NO NEED for a new Chairman. Rod is only part time (he has numerous other directorships) but as a football administrator he is very well thought of in the SPFL and SFA. There is no need to throw that baby out with the bathwater.

However due to cost-cutting he has being trying to do two jobs. As a non-executive chairman he is a steady pair of hands. What we need is younger, energetic Chief Executive to:-

Deliver entertainment
Ensure happy customers

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leeann-dempster-survived-sexism-become-2049539

Added bonus is he's actually a Hibby.Minus points for joining BT campaign

--------
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM

Deliver entertainment
Ensure happy customers

[QUOTE=southfieldhibby;3791336]

I would agree with your list of 15 points, but as far as I can see if Petrie's still around, whoever's appointed as Chief Executive under him will be working with his/her hands tied.

And I don't think we should be appointing just another suit who happens to be a "good Hibbie". I'd rather have someone who's really effective regardless of his/her team allegiance.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2013, 01:43 PM

Who are these people? :confused:

Andy74
02-11-2013, 01:46 PM

There's an out though. Petrie will be to blame if the change didn't work because he didn't pick well again for whoever the successor is.

Andy74
02-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Who are these people? :confused:

There were lots of people saying during the week that they hated him or almost hated him. Lots of blanked out words used to describe him. I would hope people would only use those sorts of words to describe people that they hated.

The Falcon
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
There's an out though. Petrie will be to blame if the change didn't work because he didn't pick well again for whoever the successor is.

That base is being particularly well covered.

HibbySpurs
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure now that RP needs to go. To be fair to him (& STF) which other club in the spfl paid £200k for a player this year (Celtic excepted)?

Our board has backed managers with as much funding as is financially viable for the club to sustain. Is it then their fault that the football manager used it to sign a bit of a dud (at present?)

Short of a real sugar daddy coming in who genuinely has bottomless pockets what more can we expect?

Do we seriously want to follow the hearts business model for success? I hope not.

The only other thing that makes me think a change would be good is the philosophy that it may bring a breath of fresh air but that person would have to be as astute a business man as RP with a massive knowledge of football and I suspect people like that are pretty rare.

Rod maybe isn't ideal but he's still the best option at this time (IMO).

We have an infrastructure and stable financial base that is the envy of nearly all other Scottish clubs and I suspect many others south of the border also.

IF & it's a big IF the chairman and board get the next appointment right and that man brings the right coaching and scouting network with him I firmly believe that Pat has left that man with a squad and foundation that will allow him to propel us back to the top end of the league this season. Maybe I'm just an optimist now that change is coming but that's how I see it.

GGTTH

southfieldhibby
02-11-2013, 01:55 PM
And I don't think we should be appointing just another suit who happens to be a "good Hibbie". I'd rather have someone who's really effective regardless of his/her team allegiance.

Do you know who it is Doddie?...my mentioning of his team was just an aside

greenlex
02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Presumably Petrie would appoint a successor and if it didnt work out he would get pelters? Maybe we could get the LWT Team on the case?

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2013, 02:48 PM
There were lots of people saying during the week that they hated him or almost hated him. Lots of blanked out words used to describe him. I would hope people would only use those sorts of words to describe people that they hated.

Really, i never saw them? :confused: I thought he was a crap manager, one who's virtually been canonized because HE realised he'd failed then spoke well in his resignation speach.

I dont hate him, i personally thought he spoke well at times during his reign, but he is ultimately judged on how his team plays and results.

I also dont know anyone who hates him.

HibbySpurs
02-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Really, i never saw them? :confused: I thought he was a crap manager, one who's virtually been canonized because HE realised he'd failed then spoke well in his resignation speach.

I dont hate him, i personally thought he spoke well at times during his reign, but he is ultimately judged on how his team plays and results.

I would think that PF is the type of bloke who it's almost impossible to hate. Partly why he was given so much time I reckon.

Jones28
02-11-2013, 03:36 PM

Did anyone hate Pat? :confused:

Jones28
02-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Well, what I would like to think is that a new OWNER would be someone who is football orientated. Farmer saved the club but did it more for charitable reasons than wanting to own a successful football team. If we were a EPL club people would be queuing up to put offers in, what with our infrastructure and stadium. Even the squad is decent.

A CHAIRMAN would have to have a football brain for me. This is why we should keep Rod on and employ a director of football instead of a whole new CEO.

Beefster
02-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Nah, it'll definitely be the fans' fault if the next manager is pish too.

Saorsa
02-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Nah, it'll definitely be the fans' fault if the next manager is pish too.Well it'll be somebody's fault apart from his, that's for sure, because it's never him.

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 03:51 PM
no offence intended, but IMO that's not much of an answer - 'i expect our chairman to be good, and to make hibs better, because he wants hibs to be better'.

in fairness to petrie, he has sacked a bunch of managers who were mediocre - so it's not entirely fair to say that he accepts mediocrity. as far as i can see, the purse strings are the main problem with him - but is a reduced responsibility-in-spending a responsible way to run the club? i'm not saying it's not, i'm just suggesting that that is the main thing that can bring genuine excitement back to hibs, save for a great bunch of youngsters and a surprise success story in management...

He hired all the manager's who under achieved, surely the time to hold him accountable has arrived?

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Well it'll be somebody's fault apart from his, that's for sure because it's never him.

He ain't called Teflon for nothing:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
He hired all the manager's who under achieved, surely the time to hold him accountable has arrived?

SHhhhhhhhhhhsshhhhh, we are not allowed to mention this, and its irrelevant anyway because he built the ground and East Mains with his own hands.

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
SHhhhhhhhhhhsshhhhh, we are not allowed to mention this, and its irrelevant anyway because he built the ground and East Mains with his own hands.

Sorry my mistake, all hail Sir Roderick:greengrin

lucky
02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
I would like an oil rich Arab to come in and do a Man City. Imagine out spending the Old Firm and EPL.

Keith_M
02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
A commitment to have Sexy Cheerleaders at every home game. Oh and free Prawn Sandwiches in the West Stand.

Saorsa
02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
He ain't called Teflon for nothing:greengrinaint that the truth, mr. untouchable.

http://i40.tinypic.com/296kfv6.jpg

NAE NOOKIE
02-11-2013, 04:28 PM
I want to see an owner / chairman who understands the correlation between performance on the pitch and the clubs finances.

It seems to me that for many years now the club has almost been divided into two parts. The business part whos job it is to see that the club continues to operate and the football part whos job it is to get results on the pitch.

The team to my mind are almost looked upon by the business part as a drain on the clubs finances and a barrier to the good health of the business. As I have alluded to many times, its almost as if its been forgotten by those in charge of Hibs that the reason for existance of every part of the club, from Rod Petrie to the cleaners is to make the club a success, or if not, at least attractive to watch on the pitch. Nothing more, nothing less.

If it is the case that the club has had to lay off staff due to a down turn in financial results then that is a failure on the part of the board and can be directly attributed in a large part to on field failure. If they fail to address that, they are failing the business at every turn.

This current boards strategy as far as getting folk through the gates appears to be based on annual appeals to the fans loyalty at season ticket renewal time. That is something every club relies upon and there is no shame in that sort of approach. But in every part of the entertainment business it must be recognised that the product has to be right or people will be turned off, no matter how strong their loyalty to the brand.

I'm no business man, but as far as I am aware risk taking is an accepted part of business strategy. In order to grow a business will identify gaps or opportunities in the market in which it conducts its business and act accordingly. If it is a well run business it will have a contingency plan for things not working out, but will take a calculated gamble based on the fact that the rewards could be great if things work out.

Two of the major brands in our market have fallen on hard times The Rangers and Heart of Midlothian. This has left a huge gap waiting to be exploited by any club with the guts to have a go.

At the moment that club appears to be Aberdeen. They have signed Willo Flood, Barry Robson, Russell Anderson, Johnny Hays and a few others recently. I would highly doubt that these players are on less money than our players. But you get what you pay for and going by the way they outplayed us two weeks ago that is a team heading for 2nd in the league and a possible cup win at a rate of knots.

A club whos owner appears to be willing to put his hand into his pocket to attract that wee bit higher quality in the hope that it will pay off. I would be most surprised if at the end of this season AFC dont show an increase in attendances TV money and prize money and might even have a cup winning DVD to flog to the fans to boot.

Thats better than just existing ..... is it not ?

RIP
04-11-2013, 12:37 AM
I want to see an owner / chairman who understands the correlation between performance on the pitch and the clubs finances.

It seems to me that for many years now the club has almost been divided into two parts. The business part whos job it is to see that the club continues to operate and the football part whos job it is to get results on the pitch.

The team to my mind are almost looked upon by the business part as a drain on the clubs finances and a barrier to the good health of the business. As I have alluded to many times, its almost as if its been forgotten by those in charge of Hibs that the reason for existance of every part of the club, from Rod Petrie to the cleaners is to make the club a success, or if not, at least attractive to watch on the pitch. Nothing more, nothing less.

If it is the case that the club has had to lay off staff due to a down turn in financial results then that is a failure on the part of the board and can be directly attributed in a large part to on field failure. If they fail to address that, they are failing the business at every turn.

This current boards strategy as far as getting folk through the gates appears to be based on annual appeals to the fans loyalty at season ticket renewal time. That is something every club relies upon and there is no shame in that sort of approach. But in every part of the entertainment business it must be recognised that the product has to be right or people will be turned off, no matter how strong their loyalty to the brand.

I'm no business man, but as far as I am aware risk taking is an accepted part of business strategy. In order to grow a business will identify gaps or opportunities in the market in which it conducts its business and act accordingly. If it is a well run business it will have a contingency plan for things not working out, but will take a calculated gamble based on the fact that the rewards could be great if things work out.

Two of the major brands in our market have fallen on hard times The Rangers and Heart of Midlothian. This has left a huge gap waiting to be exploited by any club with the guts to have a go.

At the moment that club appears to be Aberdeen. They have signed Willo Flood, Barry Robson, Russell Anderson, Johnny Hays and a few others recently. I would highly doubt that these players are on less money than our players. But you get what you pay for and going by the way they outplayed us two weeks ago that is a team heading for 2nd in the league and a possible cup win at a rate of knots.

A club whos owner appears to be willing to put his hand into his pocket to attract that wee bit higher quality in the hope that it will pay off. I would be most surprised if at the end of this season AFC dont show an increase in attendances TV money and prize money and might even have a cup winning DVD to flog to the fans to boot.

Thats better than just existing ..... is it not ?

Good to see more and more of these posts. It is NOT Rod's job to balance the books. That is Jamie Marwick's job. Rod's job as Non-Exec Chairman of the Board is to find someone to work for him full-time to run the club and rebuild a badly underperforming business. The books could balance with a 5,000 average attendance if you cut enough cost. The quality of the product would suffer and more customers would be lost

That's why we are in a downwards spiral. We need an talented entrepreneur as chief executive to capitalise on the fabulous infrastructure set up by Rod

Hibercelona
04-11-2013, 01:18 AM
I want a Chairman that goes through the same motions as the fans do. Someone who can step into the fans shoes and see it from our own perspective.

As far as i'm concerned, Rod Petrie is incapable of this.

A loss to Hearts simply means a loss of revenue to him. He doesn't feel what we feel.

RIP
04-11-2013, 01:23 AM

Added bonus is he's actually a Hibby.Minus points for joining BT campaign

Phil Anderton - a Hibby. Do you know the guy well. Never came out when he was at Hearts?

HoboHarry
04-11-2013, 01:29 AM
I want a Chairman that goes through the same motions as the fans do. Someone who can step into the fans shoes and see it from our own perspective.

A loss to Hearts simply means a loss of revenue to him. He doesn't feel what we feel.
How do you know this?

Hibercelona
04-11-2013, 01:45 AM
How do you know this?

Because if he felt anything like we do, he'd have stepped down quite some time ago.

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Because if he felt anything like we do, he'd have stepped down quite some time ago.

A question for those of you studying English.

The above is a fine example of a straw man argument. True or False?

RIP
05-11-2013, 07:23 AM

There is not a single Hibs Board member who does not love this club. As Hibs supporters - be it third generation, watched the Famous Five or converted Hibbies they all hurt deeply when we lose.

There is no doubt in my mind that every Board member at Hibernian works very hard for this club, the vast majority of them in an unpaid capacity. It's a labour of love.

I've worked for a boss that demonstrated the same qualities - hard working, passionate, dedicated. Unfortunately he did not do a very good job in areas such as strategy, targets, communication, people development, motivation, engagement, empowerment - all key characteristics of the modern boss

I think Rod is perfect in the role of Non-Exec Chairman e.g. Safe pair of hands, hugely experienced administrator, well-connected in Scottish Football, good contacts etc. My observations are that he struggles to be as effective in the dual role of Chairman and Chief Executive. AT a club the size of Hibs these are two separate jobs and I think we need to fill the latter vacancy asap

jacomo
06-11-2013, 11:57 AM

There was some very intemperate language on here following the Hearts game. Out of order really.

But I wouldn't take such comments made in the heat of the moment all that seriously.

jacomo
06-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Back on topic, could we get some sort of Vincent Tan figure at Hibs? I'm a bit bored of green... maybe we should rebrand with a bright yellow strip and call ourselves the Leith Lions? (The Lynx can GTF, nowhere near hard enough).

Thoughts?

Scouse Hibee
06-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Massive investment,worldwide media campaign, influx of expensive foreign players, several managers over a short period of time, the elusive SPL title followed by Champions league glory......................