PDA

View Full Version : How about a foreign manager?

California-Hibs
02-11-2013, 04:00 AM
why not? Someone with fresh ideas who could bring a completely different style with him. Get some good Spanish, French, Italian (you get the drift) players in.

We always seems to either go with the usual suspects or an unknown or very little known, British manager.

Discuss.

southern hibby
02-11-2013, 04:09 AM
I've mentioned it on several threads now.
I personally would like us to go for Malmo's manager. Had them playing with speed, width and passing was spot on. Players were definitely comfortable on the ball, knew game plan stuck with it and gave us a lesson I'n football. ( however we did make it easy for them).

As someone on another thread said why would he come to us. He's just won the Swedish league. Not sure if he would ( can we afford him) but I think Scotland opens the door for players / managers to Engerland. 3 does he want to manage eventually I'n a top European league?

Not sure he would come but nothing ventured nothing gained. But one last thought for all our terrible football lately no one has spanked us like they did. GGTTH

marti1875
02-11-2013, 04:14 AM
I'm in the same way of thinking too. Try something different as i'm sick of all the usual suspects names being thrown into the ring whenever any vacant managerial post comes up in Scotland.

Maybe a foreign manager with a complete different mindset than the usual run of the mill names.
In saying that i have no idea who right enough, on that i am no expert but i think the idea is certainly worth thinking about. :agree:

Iain G
02-11-2013, 04:19 AM
*Pedant Alert*

Pat was a foreign manager, just saying likes :wink:

Weststandwanab
02-11-2013, 04:25 AM
*Pedant Alert*

Pat was a foreign manager, just saying likes :wink:Foreign being defined as........

Iain G
02-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Foreign being defined as........

Well he's Irish...:agree:

marti1875
02-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Well he's Irish...:agree:

I think you know fine and well what we are meaning, hence yer pedant alert on your original post :greengrin

Tyler Durden
02-11-2013, 07:14 AM
why not? Someone with fresh ideas who could bring a completely different style with him. Get some good Spanish, French, Italian (you get the drift) players in.

We always seems to either go with the usual suspects or an unknown or very little known, British manager.

Discuss.

I don't think your last point is accurate. Who were the usual suspects or unknowns?

I think the logic behind managerial appointments was pretty sound up until Calderwood. It should have been clear to the board that his style of football and (lack of) personality weren't a good fit. Likewise Fenlon who didn't have a pedigree matching the challenge IMO.

I would like someone who is passionate about their football philosophy and hungry to succeed. If that means they have 2 successful years at Hibs and move on then great, it's a win-win. St Johnstone's record with McInnes, Coyle and Lomas is the approach we should look to emulate.

BT58
02-11-2013, 07:32 AM
I like the idea of a foreign coach
However can you imagine RPs response when new foreign coach wants to bring in his entorage (sp)
RP would have a fit having to pay off all the coaching staff then paying for the new staff
Never gonna happen
Im sure thats why we never got SC
We should email RP and tell him .net will have a poll and we will tell him who we want,,that way it will be the fans fault if it goes tits up again LOL

londonhibby
02-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Paulo Sergio. Plays attractive attacking football, has good contacts and knows the Scottish game, we could afford him and he is free, having been emptied by Apoel at the beginning of October.

And: :yw:

The Sea-gull
02-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Not against it but would prefer someone who knows the league. My shouts in the past have been McCall and Mcinnes but we have long since missed the boat on them. Butcher would maybe be a shout and a more realistic target though I get the impression he is well settled in Inverness. I would not be against giving Kenny Shiels a shot but maybe only till end of season initially. Re the Malmo manager - step down perhaps though could see it a a stepping stone to England. Like to think the board will appoint someone on more than just the fact that their team humped us in a couple of games.

Andy74
02-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Mixu and Sauzee were foreign.

Craig_in_Prague
02-11-2013, 08:10 AM

Both 1st job though, in le gods case basically thrown into it.

I read someone say on here though that he would hate it if Hibs played like Barcelona, too boring. Maybe we are an impossible crowd to please.

I am not that bothered where the next guy is from as plenty British guy's know how good football is played and we need to get more youth coming through and change the regression that appears to happen, the culture and style should almost be embedded into the club, but we lack the vision at the top to install anything.

Moulin Yarns
02-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Looking where we are ranked

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

How about Carl Darlington at The New Saints? Better ranked club, European experience, Beat Bohemians 4-0 in UEFA Cup
67,90 % Wins
14,81 % Draw
17,28 % Losses

Has the Pro Licence

hfc rd
02-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Rene Meulensteen?

carnoustiehibee
02-11-2013, 08:18 AM

If only sauzee had been given the same amount of time as fenlon though eh!

marti1875
02-11-2013, 08:21 AM

I think the op is quite possibly talking about EXPERIENCED type of managers....Sauzee had absolutely no experience as it was his first even managerial post and Mixu had spent a full year at Cowdenbeath...both had been in Scotland for a while as you well know.

Andy74
02-11-2013, 08:22 AM
If only sauzee had been given the same amount of time as fenlon though eh!

I would have been happy with that.

Sas_The_Hibby
02-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Looking where we are ranked

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

How about Carl Darlington at The New Saints? Better ranked club, European experience, Beat Bohemians 4-0 in UEFA Cup
67,90 % Wins
14,81 % Draw
17,28 % Losses

Has the Pro Licence

I'm fairly astonished we're as high as 266, TBH!

Viva_Palmeiras
02-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Do we have a group more accepting of a more focused approach to leading the life of a professional footballer? If JC had walked in today would his thoughts on fitness, attitude and approach to the game meet with rebellion or embrace?
Paul le Guen was foreign so was Bertie Vogts also Wim Jansen however. Can we get the right fit with a foreign coach?
Scottish society and it's relationship with/culture of drinking means making inroads into a move away from that is difficult. Doesn't mean we shouldn't go for it. But such a change appears to have met resistance in many instances.

Moulin Yarns
02-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Taken from the BBC....

of our last 9 managers, Pat Fenlon has been our 5th most successful. Just saying. (Surprised Bobby is 4th though)

Hibernian managers

Pat Fenlon Played 87, won 31 - 35%
Colin Calderwood Played 49, won 12 - 24%
John Hughes Played 54, won 19 - 35%
Mixu Paatelainnen Played 62, won 19 - 31%
John Collins Played 54, won 23 - 43%
Tony Mowbray Played 108, won 52 - 48%
Bobby Williamson Played 93, won 34 - 36%
Frank Sauzee Played 15, won 1 - 7%
Alex McLeish Played 164, won 77 - 47%

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Do we have a group more accepting of a more focused approach to leading the life of a professional footballer? If JC had walked in today would his thoughts on fitness, attitude and approach to the game meet with rebellion or embrace?
Paul le Guen was foreign so was Bertie Vogts also Wim Jansen however. Can we get the right fit with a foreign coach?
Scottish society and it's relationship with/culture of drinking means making inroads into a move away from that is difficult. Doesn't mean we shouldn't go for it. But such a change appears to have met resistance in many instances.

I agree 100% on that, and i'd go as far as only signing foreign players from now on. A foreign manager the best we could afford would help in this, they just seem much more professional, have better technique and stronger and fitter.

Until such times as we catch up in Scotland, that's the way i'd be going for the time being.

Keith_M
02-11-2013, 08:36 AM
*Pedant Alert*

Pat was a foreign manager, just saying likes :wink:

Pedantic Pedant Alert: Irish citizens are not considered 'Foreign' in the UK.

Many UK nationality rulings refer to three groups: British Citizens, Irish Citizens and Foreign Citizens. So, Irish people ate NOT included in the third group

:na na:

southsider
02-11-2013, 08:47 AM
I like the idea of a foreign coach
However can you imagine RPs response when new foreign coach wants to bring in his entorage (sp)
RP would have a fit having to pay off all the coaching staff then paying for the new staff
Never gonna happen
Im sure thats why we never got SC
We should email RP and tell him .net will have a poll and we will tell him who we want,,that way it will be the fans fault if it goes tits up again LOL

Stevie Archibald as D O F and someone from FC Barcelona ? Well i can dream.

Oranje39
02-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Denis Bergkamp.

Craig_in_Prague
02-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Ian Murrayinho

Viva_Palmeiras
02-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Ian Murrayinho

Actually Craig what's the deal in he Czech Republic?
if stats are to be believed the Czechs drink the highest quantity of beer per capita in the world (or did at the time of the study).

What's the attitude of footballers/sports people to alcohol and nutrition?

Craig_in_Prague
02-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Actually Craig what's the deal in he Czech Republic?
if stats are to be believed the Czechs drink the highest quantity of beer per capita in the world (or did at the time of the study).

What's the attitude of footballers/sports people to alcohol and nutrition?

Czech's do drink a lot of beer. But, everyone is active and they love sports here. High % of people are in good shape.
Not a big Country but you will see in many sports they have a good representation at high level. The footballers are always fit and appear to condition themselves very well.

Moon unit
02-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Denis Bergkamp.

If not Denis...maybe any of the Ajax coaching staff!.

snooky
02-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Discuss.

Naw ... "if it's no' Scottish, it's crap" :wink:

Moon unit
02-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Remember Ebbe Skovdahl.!...the Danish maestro at The Sheep!

carnoustiehibee
02-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Remember Ebbe Skovdahl.!...the Danish maestro at The Sheep!

I'll see you ebbe and raise you this guy

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Golac

Ticks all the boxes haha

SlickShoes
02-11-2013, 09:47 AM
We essentially tried this with John Collins and look how that turned out. I know he is Scottish but nothing about his football and the way he lives his life is "Scottish".

Franck didn't get a chance, binned swiftly.

Mixu, done OK, deemed not good enough by some, went on to turn Killie around and land a much better job.

Employ someone not Hibs related and you get folk saying "we need a hibs man" employ a Hibs man and you get folk saying "we need someone not involved with the club".

Iain G
02-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Pedantic Pedant Alert: Irish citizens are not considered 'Foreign' in the UK.

Many UK nationality rulings refer to three groups: British Citizens, Irish Citizens and Foreign Citizens. So, Irish people ate NOT included in the third group

:na na:

I know plenty of Irish folks who would disagree with that wholeheartedly :wink:

But they are not British citizens so they, by default, are alien or foreign given Ireland is a foreign country:agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
02-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Czech's do drink a lot of beer. But, everyone is active and they love sports here. High % of people are in good shape.
Not a big Country but you will see in many sports they have a good representation at high level. The footballers are always fit and appear to condition themselves very well.

Thanks C.
What is t with Scotland and team sports. (Bar curling) ..?

hibsbollah
02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/default/verfuegbaremanager/basics_50.html

Some interesting names here. Look at the ages of some of the french ex managers, lots in their thirties. Or how about Amoruso, 39, ex Palermo?

Moon unit
02-11-2013, 03:48 PM
I'll see you ebbe and raise you this guy

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Golac

Ticks all the boxes haha
You win...! He was priceless!

snooky
02-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Always a problem with language and alien accents with foreign managers.
Like with Kenny Dalglish and Paul Lambert for instance.

:wink:

Hibeesforever
02-11-2013, 04:18 PM

Since the Chairman has built a training academy, I would appoint a foreign coach who has real experience both playing and managing within that type of environment.
Fashionable capital city with all the footballing infrastructure in place. The ten year plan to lift a European trophy should start today.
The culture, expectation and professionalism should be based upon this level of improvement.
The Hibernian F.C manager and coaching job has European attraction.
Rod should invest in the appointment on this basis.
The principal shareholder, Sir Tom Farmer should lend public support to this being the desired long term goal of the club.
Players that can't handle that level of expectation or don't have the lifestyle desire to diligently work to improve themselves on this basis are not a fit for the modern Hibernian Football Club.
The culture must benchmark excellence. There is no reason why Hibs cannot aspire to emulate success in Europe like that had by similar sized clubs and fan bases.
Its the boards job to find those persons and convey what the expectations are attached to what should be a good salary, not just the cheap and available at the time Scottish option.