PDA

View Full Version : A Chance To Make A Name For Yourself

HFC_NYC
01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
With regards to the managerial vacancy, I firmly believe that we might be surprised by the calibre of the applicants. Fantastic stadium and training ground, on paper, a pretty decent squad, the POTENTIAL to attract crowds of 15,000 - but most importantly, the real opportunity to finish second and a guarantee of European football.

hopefully we'll start hearing about some bigger names applying for the job.

gorgie greens
01-11-2013, 10:26 PM
with the demise of our horrible neighbours and no Huns next year, i agree we need to be up there,and getting in to europe is not a good enough return,we should be there ,not saying were going to beat Celtic for the title but we should be finnishing above the other teams in the League

judas
01-11-2013, 10:31 PM
With regards to the managerial vacancy, I firmly believe that we might be surprised by the calibre of the applicants. Fantastic stadium and training ground, on paper, a pretty decent squad, the POTENTIAL to attract crowds of 15,000 - but most importantly, the real opportunity to finish second and a guarantee of European football.

hopefully we'll start hearing about some bigger names applying for the job.

Totally agree. Hibs are in 'move in condition'. An infrastructure to die for. I really believe many managers will throw themselves at the opportunity.

Hibernia&Alba
01-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Everything the OP says makes sense, but how many times have we said this before, only to be disappointed? There must be someone out there who can make something of such an opportunity and finally deliver the goods.

monktonharp
01-11-2013, 11:02 PM
I always remember my best mate texting me and saying....Tony f/kin Mowbray, who is he? as the new manager was announced. turned out not too bad, and yes he did inherit a bloody good mob of young guys. nevertheless he brought us some good ideas and performances. that was one of the best moves that Rod Petrie ever done, and I would never fault him for McLeish although the players he brought in, just hiked up the wage bill. but if either of those young managers(at the time ) had been given a bit more scope, who knows. we could have done special things.

O'Rourke3
01-11-2013, 11:12 PM
In the poll thread no-one really excites me(apart from Zod). With Jiimmy N at the helm for a few weeks we'll probably hold our own so advertise the job and see who applies. We have some time and a decent enough squad. Sticking out of work managers in place within 24 hours because they were at the game on Wednesday fills me full of dread. I was always going to the game this Sunday. A quick appointment would make me think twice.

Shields Hibee
01-11-2013, 11:15 PM
I agree that with our stadium, size of potential crowds, squad at the disposal, push for 2nd place etc that we should be looking at attracting a decent name manager. I'd love us to get someone who could get us challenging year on year and going to cup finals regularly plus playing football that people want to see.

However, we've all said this before and been disappointed but who knows, Rod may surprise all and make us happy.:scarf::scarf:

monktonharp
01-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Everything the OP says makes sense, but how many times have we said this before, only to be disappointed? There must be someone out there who can make something of such an opportunity and finally deliver the goods.:agree :It will happen, one day. we are miles ahead of any club in Scotland, when it comes to infrastructure, which obviously includes training etc, with the exemption of the Glasgow Giants. the Gorgie mob are still living on borrowed time, the Dons don't know where they will be playing in a couple of years, the Arabs are like a team in a timewarp. we should be pressing on at this time and that makes it all the more frustrating. We, the fans , are all champing at the bit, waiting on the next man that can take us to the next level. we have the fanbase, we have the hope, we have the will, the dreams.......but we also have a boardroom full of blazers that don't see what we expect, want, or deserve! I better get off this orange box, I've had a few vino's, but ye ken what ah mean!

IberianHibernian
01-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Certainly hope job is advertised and we don`t suddenly find a Shiels / Nicholl partnership that was probably planned since the summer ( if we`re looking for a cheap appointment with someone already at club Alan Maybury comes across very well in interview on Hibs TV ) . Nicholl etc can do the job for a month or so at least until a successor is found though I doubt club have not been looking for a manager since summer at least ( surely every club is always looking for a manager in case present one leaves ? ) . 2 posts above mention target of 15000 home fans and being at cup finals regularly - even if we won the league 3 years in a row I doubt we`d average 15000 fans and 2 SC finals in 2 years will take a lot of beating ( with Mowbray we lost a few semis and with Turnbull we reached 2 SC finals but it was 2 in 8 years ) .

Deeklipse
02-11-2013, 03:13 AM
even if we won the league 3 years in a row I doubt we`d average 15000 fans.rubbish

Jack
02-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Certainly hope job is advertised and we don`t suddenly find a Shiels / Nicholl partnership that was probably planned since the summer ( if we`re looking for a cheap appointment with someone already at club Alan Maybury comes across very well in interview on Hibs TV ) . Nicholl etc can do the job for a month or so at least until a successor is found though I doubt club have not been looking for a manager since summer at least ( surely every club is always looking for a manager in case present one leaves ? ) . 2 posts above mention target of 15000 home fans and being at cup finals regularly - even if we won the league 3 years in a row I doubt we`d average 15000 fans and 2 SC finals in 2 years will take a lot of beating ( with Mowbray we lost a few semis and with Turnbull we reached 2 SC finals but it was 2 in 8 years ) .

I agree with Deeklipse with the demise of the yams and us playing good football at the right end of the league we will have very good crowds.

We've seen on a few occasions even recently that there's 1,000s of Hibbies desperate for Hibs to do well and turn out to watch us - just a pity when that's happened we've all left the stadium with sair stains :-(

SlickShoes
02-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I think people are deluded if they think Hibs are attractive to outsiders.

I like Hibs because I have done since birth, someone looking at our last 6 years would do well to steer clear.

People that think any successful SPL manager would be daft enough to come and join us in this condition have to be insane.

rcarter1
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM

We averaged 14K+ around 5 years ago. If we were to win the league three times in a row, we would sell out the home end easy peasy for every game. The fact that it will never happen is another thing entirely.

NAE NOOKIE
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
I think people are deluded if they think Hibs are attractive to outsiders.

I like Hibs because I have done since birth, someone looking at our last 6 years would do well to steer clear.

People that think any successful SPL manager would be daft enough to come and join us in this condition have to be insane.

Theres two ways of looking at that.

Our last 6 years would mean that any manager getting us into the top 3 would be doing a great job.

Terry Butcher and Stuart McCall are both doing well at clubs who will never get crowds much bigger than they do now and as a result the chances of a sustained challenge or growth are limited. At Easter Road the skies the limit for any manager who can make it work on the park.

Its all about ambition. Would you rather sit in the dugout of a ground with 3 stands and 3,500 watching, or a ground where for big games you were guaranteed that the away team would have a bigger support than your team.

Or do you want to manage a club where as long as you are doing well the home support will outnumber the away support 3 to 1 for big games. Where for away cup matches you will have thousands at your back as opposed to a couple of hundred.

Butcher likes the life in Inverness which might put him out the picture and McCall might be thinking about down south. But I would guess there are few clubs in the UK never mind Scotland where not only are the pieces in place off the park for success, but the potential for success being rewarded are so obvious.

I would have thought that this was an opportunity any brave manager confident in his ability would walk over the cold dead body of his granny to grasp.

greenlex
02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
NO NO NO. We are on the road to nowhere dontcha know

mutley
02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
NO NO NO. We are on the road to nowhere dontcha know

You mean WERE on a road to nowhere, new manager and we might get on the road to somewhere