PDA

View Full Version : What do we want in a new manager?

HibeeHutch
01-11-2013, 07:06 PM
For performances, loyalty, determination, passion, work rate and vision to match that of the Hibs fans and the potential of the club.

As fans we continue to glory in past victories, which were way before my time. Some fans have mocked our crowds over the past 30 years. I'm surprised they have remained relatively healthy given the product we've been used to since I went to my first game in the early 80s.

bighairyfaeleith
01-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Not who do we want, but what do we want. Surely that should be the starting point for the next manager discussion. Once you know what you wnat then you can start to make the right choice regarding who you want.

For me, I want a manager who has some track record but is not old hat, someone with experience of different leagues and playing styles, someone the players will instantly respect, someone who believes in training hard and playing football in the right manner and breeding that rtight through the club from the youngest youth team to first team.

Someone who will take no **** from anyone, but commands everyone's respect.

I have nobody in mind right now, but I suspect the right man isn't currently in the scottish game to be honest.

Now is the time to invest in a good manager, someone who can bring about real tangible progress on top of the good work behind the scenes pat has done. Pat might have not been a great tactician etc but I do believe behind the scenes, the squad etc that we have that we are in pretty good shape overall compared to two years ago

IberianHibernian
01-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Good question . In the 46 years I`ve been supporting Hibs Turnbull , McLeish and Mowbray seem to be the only ones who are considered to have been successful . Turnbull took us to relegation and the other two have been failures after leaving Hibs . Always think it`s better to change managers in close season since we may now be limited to people like Shiels or Calderwood who other clubs didn`t want in summer .

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Good question . In the 46 years I`ve been supporting Hibs Turnbull , McLeish and Mowbray seem to be the only ones who are considered to have been successful . Turnbull took us to relegation and the other two have been failures after leaving Hibs . Always think it`s better to change managers in close season since we may now be limited to people like Shiels or Calderwood who other clubs didn`t want in summer .

And yet Alex Miller was in the job longer, and won a trophy. He also had to keep the team going through darker days than just now. Funny old game.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Its simple for me, i want to be excited about going to our next game.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Bertie Auld was asked to sign a 10 year contract when he took over. I have been thinking back to the stodgy way that he set his teams up and justifying that if I paid to watch that then I can pay to watch anything.

s.a.m
01-11-2013, 09:51 PM
The painful truth is that what we probably need is a long-term appointment , while in reality, the only way we'll get that is if the successful applicant is mediocre. If he's not good enough, he'll be needing emptied after 2 years; looking good, and he'll be head-hunted after two years.

bighairyfaeleith
01-11-2013, 09:54 PM

A stripper sitting on your knee at the next home game may not be the best thing for hibs though, or the person sitting next to you

Jonnyboy
01-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Bertie Auld was asked to sign a 10 year contract when he took over. I have been thinking back to the stodgy way that he set his teams up and justifying that if I paid to watch that then I can pay to watch anything.

He should have got ten years ............... just not on a contract :wink:

marinello59
01-11-2013, 09:58 PM
A stripper sitting on your knee at the next home game may not be the best thing for hibs though, or the person sitting next to you

He's too old for that level of excitement. A free Chinese takeaway at half time would probably be enough.

jonty
01-11-2013, 09:59 PM
He's too old for that level of excitement. A free Chinese takeaway at half time would probably be enough.
Or two.

jodjam
01-11-2013, 10:00 PM
The painful truth is that what we probably need is a long-term appointment , while in reality, the only way we'll get that is if the successful applicant is mediocre. If he's not good enough, he'll be needing emptied after 2 years; looking good, and he'll be head-hunted after two years.

Exactly. The chances of having a long term manager are slim for the reasons you mention. Therefore we need to get it right from the youth set up. Get them playing the correct way and same way at each level. This means that any new manager can slot in easily and keep the tinkering to a minimum.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Or two.

Ah thats the old Blackpoolhibs, since Fenlon bored me to death i put my season ticket money into a membership at Bannatynes health and fitness club, and 2 stones lighter its paid off handsomely.

The women are flocking to me now, i'm batting them off when out on the lash. :na na:

Hibernia&Alba
02-11-2013, 12:06 AM
I want someone who can take the club by the scruff of the neck and make it realise its potential. The malaise needs to be broken, and I want a man with a vision of playing good football whilst consistently challenging for the top three or four. Someone who can get the stadium more than half full. The infrastructure and the fanbase is there, and now we need a man with the talent and charisma to put it all together. He must be out there.

IberianHibernian
02-11-2013, 02:42 AM
I want someone who can take the club by the scruff of the neck and make it realise its potential. The malaise needs to be broken, and I want a man with a vision of playing good football whilst consistently challenging for the top three or four. Someone who can get the stadium more than half full. The infrastructure and the fanbase is there, and now we need a man with the talent and charisma to put it all together. He must be out there.

Sounds great but I can`t think of any manager at any club in Scotland in last 20 years who matches that description . Mowbray`s team was exciting but he inherited great group of youngsters ( saw that there wasn`t even one Hibs player in 27 - player squad for Scotland Under 19s this week ) and of course his teams regularly underperformed in cup semis and other big matches . And would the likes of Murphy or Dean Shiels come from big clubs in England to SPL now ?

Pete
02-11-2013, 02:51 AM

Kenny Shiels:aok:

Onion
02-11-2013, 05:11 AM

:top marks Sometimes the simplest statement says everything. :aok:

Jim44
02-11-2013, 07:04 AM
:top marks Sometimes the simplest statement says everything. :aok:

On that basis, I want someone who can remove negative expectations that we are likely to lose every game we play. I can honestly say that the last year and half under Fenlon and prior to that, the whole of Calderdud's tenure, constantly had me in that frame of mind.

gorgie greens
02-11-2013, 07:41 AM
i wanta team that is better than a run of the mill club, a team that when you go to Parkhead you know they are not going to get 11 men behind the ball and hope for a point,i want the team that goes there and is willing to attack,the Kevin Keegan style of if they score 4 we will score 5.

Andy74
02-11-2013, 07:58 AM
i wanta team that is better than a run of the mill club, a team that when you go to Parkhead you know they are not going to get 11 men behind the ball and hope for a point,i want the team that goes there and is willing to attack,the Kevin Keegan style of if they score 4 we will score 5.

And when that has us losing quite a bit what then?

Free flowing attacking football that doesn't also win won't keep fans happy either.

I'm not sure I know of a manager who will produce both consistently.

I agree it would be great but how likely is it?

Thecat23
02-11-2013, 08:05 AM
And when that has us losing quite a bit what then?

Free flowing attacking football that doesn't also win won't keep fans happy either.

I'm not sure I know of a manager who will produce both consistently.

I agree it would be great but how likely is it?

Have to agree, be great to have that but chances of it happening and working week in week out is slim to none. As much as I want attacking free flowing football sometimes we just need to go to places and defend. Not saying for 90 mins, but Celtic at home are very hard to beat and when you open up to attack they have the quality to split you open. As I say, be nice but can't see it!

londonhibby
02-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Paulo Sergio's free ...

:yw:

Green&White
02-11-2013, 08:14 AM
For me, I want a manager who has some track record but is not old hat, someone with experience of different leagues and playing styles, someone the players will instantly respect, someone who believes in training hard and playing football in the right manner and breeding that rtight through the club from the youngest youth team to first team.

Someone who will take no **** from anyone, but commands everyone's respect.

To me that just describes john collins. Look how the players reacted to the training hard and proper discipline bit. Unfortunately we live in a age of football when the players have a lot more power than the manager and Petrie set the precedent for that back then.

Mon Dieu4
02-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Someone who has me looking forward to going to games and not making it feel like a chore

not asking for Barcaesque football, but someone who gets it on the deck and wants the players to express themselves without any fear

contrary to what many people on here think i think we are a forgiving support and if we can see that a player is trying to go past someone and use a bit imagination we will get right behind them

just want to have fun following Hibs again

Tyler Durden
02-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Just said on another thread....

I would like someone who is passionate about their football philosophy and hungry to succeed. If that means they have 2 successful years at Hibs and move on then great, it's a win-win. St Johnstone's record with McInnes, Coyle and Lomas is the approach we should look to emulate.

Also think we should be looking at the likes of Swansea as an example. Managers come and go but the style remains broadly the same as the board set that model and it's a cultural thing. Personally I would be satisfied with Hibs attempting to play good football as long as we remain top 6 which should be a minimum. With our resources, we absolutely have a right to expect that. As a support I believe we do have realistic expectations and are fair to the manager.

Tyler Durden
02-11-2013, 08:25 AM
To me that just describes john collins. Look how the players reacted to the training hard and proper discipline bit. Unfortunately we live in a age of football when the players have a lot more power than the manager and Petrie set the precedent for that back then.

Collins has to take responsibility - he failed to take the players with him. A manager in any walk of life has to get staff on side, Collins blatantly failed in that regard.

All the best managers, the players would walk over broken glass for.

jarre1875
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Just been wondering what we expect from a new manager. Try ans keep it to 1 sentence.

Personally i would expect a bit more attack minded football.

bighairyfaeleith
02-11-2013, 08:32 AM

Collins was a % of what we need, but unfortunately he couldn't man manage, he failed to get the board to back him as well. A manager needs to rule completely, to do that the board need to be convinced he will do the right thing and the players have to respect him.

I admired collins approach to playing the game, his ideas on fitness etc as well. However I reckon he needs to spend time as a coach before returning to management. I would be delighted to see him involved in some capacity with the youth setup etc, I believe he is doing work on the youths at a national level just now.

I reckon the person I want will not be scottish to be honest

rcarter1
02-11-2013, 08:51 AM

The one good thing that Pat did (after his early mistakes in the loan market), was to get better professionals in the club. There was a high level of bampottery when Collins was around. Collins didnt understand what it is to manage and lead, but a solid experienced coach could take the same ideas he had and stand a much better chance of putting them into place. I would like to see the board (resign) - or invest the cash in getting someone who has real top level experience. Put to them a challenge of turning the club around with the players and limited budget that we have, with the promise of a statue if they win the Scottish cup.. Even if its a short term appointment it could do a world of good. Oh and they need a really decisive strategy for youth development because in the long run thats where the future of any SPFL club is.

:flag::flag:

Jones28
02-11-2013, 08:58 AM

This :agree:

Green&White
02-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I reckon the person I want will not be scottish to be honest

I think I'm in the same boat here.
one of the reasons I liked Collins was that he was basically a foreign manager who was Scottish. As in his management style and philosophy. But going back to the current situation the list of British managers going around just now is shocking. I think I'm correct in saying we have only had one foreign manager(sauzee) and I think now is the time to go that way again and change the way Hibs work.

Gustavo Fring
02-11-2013, 09:12 AM
keep the ball on the deck and pass/run forward instead of sideways/backwards

rcarter1
02-11-2013, 09:13 AM
movement, pace, goals

James70
02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
For the team to no longer under achieve on the park, for top six finishes to be the norm instead of the exception, and in the absence of two other clubs whose names I cannot remember, top four finishes should be expected.

erin go bragh
02-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Entertaining !

Ggtth

Andy74
02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Entertaining !

Ggtth

The 6-6 with Motherwell was entertaining.

The chat about us just wanting to be entertained doesn't stack up. We also expect to win whilst being entertained.

clerriehibs
02-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Two years at most, unfortunately.

erin go bragh
02-11-2013, 09:33 AM

The chat about us just wanting to be entertained doesn't stack up. We also expect to win whilst being entertained.

Entertained every game . Then imo we will win more than we lose , would take a 6-6 over a 0-0 every time .

Ggtth

Craig_in_Prague
02-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Positive play, players on their toes, working hard in a well drilled team.
Defence is important and needs improved. But a more attacking, threatening team which at least looks capable of scoring a couple of goals would be good. Pace, width and more creative midfielders.
More home wins a must.
Harder to beat to me, is a team that scores goals. As I said a committed well drilled team knows it must defend too.
It really isnt impossible to play easier on the eye football, yet defend well too.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2013, 09:40 AM

If you are looking forward to the next game things will be going fine, if you don't even know who we are playing in the next game somethings obviously wrong.

Captain Trips
02-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Finish 2nd, spot good bargain players, use budget wisely, cup runs, no excuses. If all are ticked the more entertaining football would encompass the above.

If a manager in the current setup cannot makers at least top 3 then not fit for purpose. I expect a good manager to get into top 3 this season not next but now.

Andy74
02-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Okay. So anyone know a manager who has done any of this ?

Keith_M
02-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Okay. So anyone know a manager who has done any of this ?

Who would you like as the next manager?

Andy74
02-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Who would you like as the next manager?

I do agree with all the above. I just don't know any managers that have delivered any of it!

None of the names I've seen really stand out.

Mowbray would have the biggest impact on interest and crowds. Don't know if he'd come or if he could repeat what he did the last time.

Keith_M
02-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I do agree with all the above. I just don't know any managers that have delivered any of it!

None of the names I've seen really stand out.

Mowbray would have the biggest impact on interest and crowds. Don't know if he'd come or if he could repeat what he did the last time.

I know, my heart says Mowbray would be a good call but I have this nagging doubt about it.

TheFamous1875
02-11-2013, 09:55 AM
We should be hiring a manager that fits in and complies with our required criteria. These days managers leave after two or so years, and we should make it as easy as possible for a new one to come in with similar beliefs of the club e.g. - Swansea.

We shouldn't settle, it should be like any other job in that sense. We should know what we want (the fans do) and go and get that, not settle for just 'whoever' to take the job because it's available. Hibs are a big club, and it's a big job, a lot of managers around aren't actually good enough for it (last one to move upwards was Mowbray). I hope the board take their time and consider something close to this approach as these last years of no man's land are starting to break the camels back, and I'm not sure we can afford to have more **** ups at the top. Everything's here to push on (even a good squad! Which could be a great squad come January) now it's the new manager that is the most important piece left.

A good manager can get the best out of anything, and we've got something instead of just anything.

southsider
02-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Terry Butcher or failing that Ian Holloway

Aldoo
02-11-2013, 10:02 AM

Nothing entertains me more than winning!!

Beating teams comes first, eye catching football is second.

PISTOL1875
02-11-2013, 10:06 AM
An attack minded plan , likes to play the ball on the deck and a high tempo , also can get the best out of the kids in the youth ranks.

Eyrie
02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
An attack minded plan , likes to play the ball on the deck and a high tempo , also can get the best out of the kids in the youth ranks.

Add to that a pressing game, an assistant who can organise a tight defence and a good eye for a player please. Not too much to ask/expect/demand!

Hainan Hibs
02-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Turn us into a Malmo / Elfsborg styled team.

Would take a complete overall of the mindset ingrained in the culture of Scottish football, and people like Le Guen and Collins have failed, however it is now time to back someone to the hilt (not necessarily in the financial sense) who has the desire and willingness to make such changes.

Hibernia&Alba
02-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Sounds great but I can`t think of any manager at any club in Scotland in last 20 years who matches that description . Mowbray`s team was exciting but he inherited great group of youngsters ( saw that there wasn`t even one Hibs player in 27 - player squad for Scotland Under 19s this week ) and of course his teams regularly underperformed in cup semis and other big matches . And would the likes of Murphy or Dean Shiels come from big clubs in England to SPL now ?

This appointment is a massive call for the club. Get it right and we could finally witness Hibs meeting minimum expectations, which, let's be honest, we haven't done for years. Next season Hearts will join Rangers in the second tier, giving us the perfect opportunity to establish ourselves as serious contenders for second place and to possibly create a dominance over Hearts. This is only possible with the right man at the helm. I don't want another member of the old boys network, whose CV is littered with sackings and mediocrity, being appointed. Nor do I want to hear talk of top six finishes. I want to hear a charismatic manager demand the club chase second place next season, within the context of the SPL composition 2014-15. The remainder of this season will be his opportunity to lay the foundations of his vision, then next season we must see a Hibs that will be taken seriously. No more false dawns, we must seize this chance.