PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone out there unhappy he's gone?

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Does anyone feel upset he's left, does anyone think he should still be our manager?

Jim44
01-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Does anyone feel upset he's left, does anyone think he should still be our manager?

Yes, these 12 (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?273097-Goodbye-Pat-(merged))

scuttle
01-11-2013, 05:24 PM

NO and NO

patch1875
01-11-2013, 05:24 PM
He was gash pure and simple :agree:

Leithenhibby
01-11-2013, 05:25 PM

It doesn't matter now, as he has gone. BUT. IF............. :greengrin

Hanlon's header and IF, Roberson's shot had gone in, I wouldn't be posting this

And IF, my auntie had balls...................................

Kato
01-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Yes, on a personal level for him. Wish it had worked for him. Hibs are more important though and even he saw that. Gutsy as usual. Looking forward to someone astuter tactically and if he's as good a man manager as Fenlon then we are laughing.

Andy74
01-11-2013, 05:28 PM

Given the level of feeling I think it's the best thing.

Not sure it's the right thing and I don't think we will get someone who will deliver the type of football talked about on here with results too.

The next guy will have bad spells and bad results. At some point we need to be supportive and understanding if that otherwise we will just repeat this cycle for some time yet.

erskine-hibby
01-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Erm no!

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I should have added this to my original post, but its not often a team sitting mid table and only 5 points from 2nd would seemingly have a support that is virtually unanimously glad he's gone.

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2013, 05:29 PM

Doesn't matter now does it?

Cameron1875
01-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Nope. The players should take a bloody look at themselves though. Guys like Vine are absolute charlatans who know they will outlast most managers but the style of football we played made it impossible for Pat to stay.

Thecat23
01-11-2013, 05:36 PM
I should have added this to my original post, but its not often a team sitting mid table and only 5 points from 2nd would seemingly have a support that is virtually unanimously glad he's gone.

What shocked me BH was the blind loyalty. I fully back Hibs but some folk just couldn't accept any bad said about him. Whether it's constructive or not. I posted that Hibs was a massive step up from part time football. I said he's took us as far as he could and should leave.

He's issued a statement saying exactly that. It wasn't rocket science nearly everyone could see it. I want to know if these people who were backing him just hours ago feel now he's gone. Do they now admit Pat was right leaving or do they think HES made a mistake and should have stayed on?

Spike Mandela
01-11-2013, 05:37 PM

The Hearts fans.

hibee_girl
01-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Yes, on a personal level for him. Wish it had worked for him. Hibs are more important though and even he saw that. Gutsy as usual. Looking forward to someone astuter tactically and if he's as good a man manager as Fenlon then we are laughing.

:agree:

Saorsa
01-11-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm no sorry he's gone, it just wisnae working and it couldnae continue. I'm sorry it never though.

A bigger problem remains though.

weonlywon6-2
01-11-2013, 05:39 PM

There has been to much frustration over results and performances.

I hope to god the next manager improves the team cause its been fairly pants for a while now

The_Horde
01-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm sad we're back at the transitional stage and that things never worked again. I'm happy pat has left with dignity and we're in a good shape for whoever takes over to push us on hopefully.

onfire
01-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Me. All round good guy, couple of players short of a really good team, got rid of a whole lot of crap players CC left him, bit more luck and who knows. Problems with Hibs is more deep rooted than just the manager. I can understand how some fans didnt want him and am now I'm looking forward to a bit more harmony at ER from now on. Whoever comes in has a very decent squad.

Andy74
01-11-2013, 05:43 PM
What shocked me BH was the blind loyalty. I fully back Hibs but some folk just couldn't accept any bad said about him. Whether it's constructive or not. I posted that Hibs was a massive step up from part time football. I said he's took us as far as he could and should leave.

He's issued a statement saying exactly that. It wasn't rocket science nearly everyone could see it. I want to know if these people who were backing him just hours ago feel now he's gone. Do they now admit Pat was right leaving or do they think HES made a mistake and should have stayed on?

What blind loyalty? I backed him but accepted plenty of the bad said about him. You could say many wouldn't accept any good. That's just the way it goes.

He may be right and you may have been right but I think he's just accepting the support isn't there for him. You can argue that perhaps as a support we should do more to encourage performance than help create conditions that make it even more difficult in bad times.

Hibrandenburg

Considering the villagers had their pitchforks and torches at the ready, I think he had no other choice. I'm disappointed that he didn't see his contract out but mainly because of the message it sends to the rest of the club.

Gordy M
Some of the stuff on the site tonight is way ott, i think his time was up, but i wish him all the best and was impressed the way he has conducted himself. Few folk still wishing to put the boot in and there is no need. Hopefully he has left the foundations of a decent team and someone new will move us onwards and upwards. I actually do think he signed some good players and has left us better than when he arrived. From an outsiders point of view, he has taken us to 2 sc finals, europe and as bh says not that far of 3rd at the moment, tho to those of us going every week, the fpotball was poor. I think we are a really cracking job for the next manager and i suppose part of that, if not all, is down to pf.

Spike Mandela
01-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Me. All round good guy, couple of players short of a really good team, got rid of a whole lot of crap players CC left him, bit more luck and who knows. Problems with Hibs is more deep rooted than just the manager. I can understand how some fans didnt want him and am now I'm looking forward to a bit more harmony at ER from now on. Whoever comes in has a very decent squad.

Do you really believe that? Poor strikers, slow slow slow midfielders and calamitous defenders.I think our squad is limited, with one or two decent players but probably in it's rightful position in the league.

Wee Scottie Dug
01-11-2013, 05:49 PM

It's always a little bit sad when a manager goes, not entirely just sad for him but sad for the club as the reasons for the shove out the door tends to be down to team performances being bad/eye-bleeding and in our clubs case it's the performances at that level that sadden me!

But as supporters we'll dust ourselves down and give the next manager our 100% support through the highlights and lowlights that await us in the next chapter! I just hope that the appointment is a better one than the last one!

Onwards and upwards.

GGTTH

pacorosssco
If fenlon had come in after Mogga or Collins he wouldn't have lasted as long. I think most myself not included hoped longevity was needed to turn things round and weren't wrong after so many managers but I never seen anything to believe time would make him better. He sadly wasnt up to the job.

Thecat23
What blind loyalty? I backed him but accepted plenty of the bad said about him. You could say many wouldn't accept any good. That's just the way it goes.

He may be right and you may have been right but I think he's just accepting the support isn't there for him. You can argue that perhaps as a support we should do more to encourage performance than help create conditions that make it even more difficult in bad times.

We did support him though Andy. The big games the fans turned out and stuck by him in hope only to be let down. Not aiming this at you but some didn't accept any bad said. You would sometimes avoid questions or fire up stats to suit the argument. I think the majority could see he couldn't go further and it was clear to see. Backing him just for the sake of it is like putting money on a 3 legged horse just because you like the Jocky!!

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Do you really believe that? Poor strikers, slow slow slow midfielders and calamitous defenders.I think our squad is limited, with one or two decent players but probably in it's rightful position in the league.

:agree: We dont have a great squad, i agree with you about our defense. Our midfield is flooded with central midfielders, and up top we look poor.

We have no creativity, no pace whatsoever and players playing out of position all over the park.

Not good enough after 30 signings and 2 years.

jeffers
01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
:agree: We dont have a great squad, i agree with you about our defense. Our midfield is flooded with central midfielders, and up top we look poor.

We have no creativity, no pace whatsoever and players playing out of position all over the park.

Absolutely spot on. I don't understand comments that suggest we have a great squad/the best in the league bar Celtic.

cam75
01-11-2013, 06:03 PM
The culture off the club changed under Pat,good luck to him at next club,some of his games were class 4-3 Falkirk,2-1 dons year b4 up there,time to move on and get it right,lots f points to play for.
GHTTH

onfire
01-11-2013, 06:18 PM
I do that's what I meant by couple of players. We've got Cairney, Harris , Stanton, clancy, nelson, forster, Danny h to come back and Heff not cup tied.

Dalianwanda
01-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Glad he's gone but not glad with who will pick his successor

Dashing Bob S
01-11-2013, 06:24 PM

You have to be upset when any Hibs manager leaves, as if they are good, they will be hard to replace, and if they're poor, then we've been watching crap for months or years.

But he should have gone after Malmo and first Hearts game. Wed was probably one of the last tests he gave himself/was given by Petrie, after those earlier debacles. Even a win would only have bought him more time till the end of the season, I think.

Beefster
01-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Given the level of feeling I think it's the best thing.

Not sure it's the right thing and I don't think we will get someone who will deliver the type of football talked about on here with results too.

The next guy will have bad spells and bad results. At some point we need to be supportive and understanding if that otherwise we will just repeat this cycle for some time yet.

The Hibs support has been incredibly supportive of Fenlon. He's had two years and we were still playing safety-first, turgid pish in the main. Not many managers could have survived 1-5, 0-7 and two losses to a bunch of inexperienced bairns who can't buy a win elsewhere.

Considering the villagers had their pitchforks and torches at the ready, I think he had no other choice. I'm disappointed that he didn't see his contract out but mainly because of the message it sends to the rest of the club.

The general tone of yours and Andy's posts is that the Hibs fans are at fault for the departure of Fenlon. Make no mistake, Fenlon is responsible for his departure. His inability to get the best out of his resources and his squad were the problem, not the support losing patience after two years.

onfire
01-11-2013, 06:26 PM

But maybe all the geese are swans but you just don't know it.

clerriehibs
01-11-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm unhappy we've changed manager, again, and expect to be doing so, again, in about 24 months time. And I don't think it's because the 'tache is useless at appointing good managers ... it's because the good ones are like gold dust.

Islington Hibs
01-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Yes to be honest. Sure there were massive disappointments, particularly when it really mattered, but I think Hibs problems are way more endemic than him. I would question the Board's vision and leadership really and I have to say Pat has left Hibs in a better position than when he joined. We simply can't have a constant merry-go-round and while I do think he had lost the confidence of the support and his departure was inevitable there are no guarantees that the new man will do any better (although I hope he does!)

Nuitdelune
01-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Yes to be honest. Sure there were massive disappointments, particularly when it really mattered, but I think Hibs problems are way more endemic than him. I would question the Board's vision and leadership really and I have to say Pat has left Hibs in a better position than when he joined. We simply can't have a constant merry-go-round and while I do think he had lost the confidence of the support and his departure was inevitable there are no guarantees that the new man will do any better (although I hope he does!)

I agree with this and find the constant hounding out of managers and booing/abusing of players disgusting

Capt Mainwaring
01-11-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm sad that it didn't work out for him. I'm sad when anyone loses their job. Pats a decent fella but he ain't a good manager.

Poor signings, woeful tactician, even an unlucky manager if you you like, but I was not prepared to suffer his style of football any longer. Best decision for all parties for him to do the honourable thing and walk.

So not unhappy that he's gone but wish him well. Onwards and upwards for both parties

Shields Hibee
01-11-2013, 06:37 PM
No, I was exstatic when my mate text me to say were looking for a new manager.

Fair enough, he got us to 2 cup finals but overall our performances were awful most of the time. Pat seemed to sign lots of midfielders of which were very similar and make us top heavy in that position. I still think it was a mistake letting Doyle go but fair enough, he wanted to be away so couldn't make him stay.

Don't know what to make of his current signings, they were meant to be good at their former clubs so maybe the new man can get them playing to their potential.

Mark79
01-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Im pretty sad he has gone........and not taken vine, clancy and mcpake with him.

MoscowHibs
01-11-2013, 06:44 PM

:agree:. I agree 100%. I am of the opinion that the tache should have sfa to do with picking a new manager, as it has been one failure after another since Mowbray left, which I put down to him, and him alone. An option would be to get someone hired, Pat Nevin or whoever, that knows a thing or 2 about fitbaw, and let him compile a dossier on who he thinks should be the new boss out of all the applications we will inevitably get. We simply cannot keep going through this gash every other year. Fair enough if a manager get's poached to a higher profile job, but that means only one thing, he has done a good job with us, which I can handle. Oh and in a way I'm sad in a way to see PF go, genuine nice guy. Just wish some folks on here had the decency to thank him for leaving the club in better nick than he found it, instead of the bile some are saying.

Swedish hibee
01-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Just wish some folks on here had the decency to thank him for leaving the club in better nick than he found it, instead of the bile some are saying.[/QUOTE]

conway1875
01-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Some of the stuff on the site tonight is way ott, i think his time was up, but i wish him all the best and was impressed the way he has conducted himself. Few folk still wishing to put the boot in and there is no need. Hopefully he has left the foundations of a decent team and someone new will move us onwards and upwards. I actually do think he signed some good players and has left us better than when he arrived. From an outsiders point of view, he has taken us to 2 sc finals, europe and as bh says not that far of 3rd at the moment, tho to those of us going every week, the fpotball was poor. I think we are a really cracking job for the next manager and i suppose part of that, if not all, is down to pf.

Best post I have read on here in a long time!

carnoustiehibee
01-11-2013, 06:59 PM
He's definatly left hibs in a better place than he found it but that wasn't hard.

The bad times far outweighed the good so he had to go.

Tyler Durden
01-11-2013, 07:18 PM

It's all relative, we're talking about the SPL here. Heffernan and Collins are good strikers at this level - they've had very little service.

Thomson, Craig and Robertson would all walk into most SPL sides. We have Harris to come in and hopefully Cairney can rediscover form.

A new manage can make a massive difference to this squad IMO. We might even make a player out of Fraser Mullen - maybe that's a bit too optimistic but why no....

OsloHibs
01-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Come on, he signed Ben Williams. The best keeper I've seen since Leighton. Fenlon did do great stuff for Hibs too. But he's gone now, so lets all wish him well.

Baldy Foghorn
01-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Delighted he's gone. Disappointed to hear him saying the Board were still backing him.....Sad that Petrie has not walked with him.....

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
But maybe all the geese are swans but you just don't know it.

Or ostriches?

PeeJay
01-11-2013, 07:42 PM

Not upset, he may well have been a decent guy with good intentions, but he was way out of his depth, he presided over some of the most disgraceful results recorded by Hibs teams, he failed to win any of the cup finals he was in, he failed to reach top six, he failed in Europe at the first hurdle in a manner that is inexcusable, he failed consistently to beat top six teams, he failed to beat the current Hearts team, he failed to get us into the League Cup semi final with Celtic gone and at home against Hearts, his team does not play good football, I don't think the squad is that good, it is not well organised, it has no tactical nous, it has no real attacking strategy, it has no pace, he is unable to motivate it properly and he consistently plays players out of position, in one particular case to the detriment of the player involved and the team as a whole, I don't believe that the team is worked hard enough at the training ground (the evidence is plain for all to see on the pitch) - I find it difficult to believe anybody would think he should still be our manager: not even he did.

My main concern now is the people in charge of the club who allowed this state of affairs to last as long as it did: in my opinion they are the real reason we are not progressing as a club and they deserve more anger directed at them from the fans than Fenlon ever did.

B.H.F.C
01-11-2013, 07:50 PM
It's all relative, we're talking about the SPL here. Heffernan and Collins are good strikers at this level - they've had very little service.

Thomson, Craig and Robertson would all walk into most SPL sides. We have Harris to come in and hopefully Cairney can rediscover form.

A new manage can make a massive difference to this squad IMO. We might even make a player out of Fraser Mullen - maybe that's a bit too optimistic but why no....

I agree that a lot of our players would get a game in other sides. Problem is that in the same team they don't all compliment each other well enough. I don't think the squad is well balanced enough.

I think Pat has done a few good things behind the scenes from what I have read. Things like the scouting setup. I think he had all the desire to do well but not the ability, unfortunately. One thing I do wonder about is the whole culture thing. Yes, he may have assembled a group of players who are a bit more together but IMO the mentality is still not right. There is still too much acceptance of poor performances and results from them.

PapillonVert
01-11-2013, 07:52 PM

Yes, I do (i.e. the part that says I'm upset he's left).

I believe he came here with the best intentions.

He has come to our club at a very low ebb. He did his best. So, I am sad to see that yet another manager has left. I take absolutely no pleasure in seeing someone lose his job.

Even before he came, however, I have been on record as saying there's something wrong within the Club itself - witness the appointments of Hughes, Mixu, Calderwood in quick succession with none of them apparently able to make anything of the improved infrastructure.

I can't put my finger on it but our strategy for appointing a manager seems to be fundamentally flawed. We are going for an (allegedly) ambitious 'bright young thing' who will accept managerial minimum wage in return for exposure in the SPL and the hope of (a) keeping the Hibs' fans satisfied and the team in the SPL and the occasional Cup run whilst simultaneously (to keep said incumbent interested)(b) raising the manager's profile and allowing him to move on in due course.

This is the fundamental error IMO. We need someone who wants to do the job of being Hibernian manager. Yes, I know all these jobs are temporary but not that temporary.

The Board needs to re-think totally its recruitment of the next manager.

PeterboroHibee
01-11-2013, 08:02 PM
I am unhappy he has gone.
I would have been happy had he succeeded in the job he was brought in to do, that he failed and has gone is sad.

I feel the same way. My issue has purely been with the quality of football, but I think Fenlon has done alot of good for the club. Its a shame it has never really worked on the pitch for Pat. The best of luck to him wherever he ends up next!

Springbank
01-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Let today be the day when we can finally say there will never be a left footed right back at er!

That's a criticism of the manager not Lewis

IberianHibernian
01-11-2013, 08:06 PM
I agree with this and find the constant hounding out of managers and booing/abusing of players disgustingExactly . Not quite sure what idea of thread is - to say " I was right about manager " ?

The Green Goblin
01-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Just wish some folks on here had the decency to thank him for leaving the club in better nick than he found it.

There are many many posts on here from lots of different posters saying exactly that.

Chump
01-11-2013, 08:15 PM

:confused: surely a good man manager gets the best out of his players

Cropley10
01-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Hearts fans around the world are gutted Pat has left.

Cropley10
01-11-2013, 08:21 PM
considering the villagers had their pitchforks and torches at the ready, i think he had no other choice. I'm disappointed that he didn't see his contract out but mainly because of the message it sends to the rest of the club.

ltyf

Cropley10
01-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Not upset, he may well have been a decent guy with good intentions, but he was way out of his depth, he presided over some of the most disgraceful results recorded by Hibs teams, he failed to win any of the cup finals he was in, he failed to reach top six, he failed in Europe at the first hurdle in a manner that is inexcusable, he failed consistently to beat top six teams, he failed to beat the current Hearts team, he failed to get us into the League Cup semi final with Celtic gone and at home against Hearts, his team does not play good football, I don't think the squad is that good, it is not well organised, it has no tactical nous, it has no real attacking strategy, it has no pace, he is unable to motivate it properly and he consistently plays players out of position, in one particular case to the detriment of the player involved and the team as a whole, I don't believe that the team is worked hard enough at the training ground (the evidence is plain for all to see on the pitch) - I find it difficult to believe anybody would think he should still be our manager: not even he did.

My main concern now is the people in charge of the club who allowed this state of affairs to last as long as it did: in my opinion they are the real reason we are not progressing as a club and they deserve more anger directed at them from the fans than Fenlon ever did.

Best post I've read on here in ages.

It's perfectly possible to be glad he's gone, while thanking him and wishing him all the best.

The Green Goblin
01-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Yes, I do (i.e. the part that says I'm upset he's left).

I believe he came here with the best intentions.

He has come to our club at a very low ebb. He did his best. So, I am sad to see that yet another manager has left. I take absolutely no pleasure in seeing someone lose his job.

Even before he came, however, I have been on record as saying there's something wrong within the Club itself - witness the appointments of Hughes, Mixu, Calderwood in quick succession with none of them apparently able to make anything of the improved infrastructure.

I can't put my finger on it but our strategy for appointing a manager seems to be fundamentally flawed. We are going for an (allegedly) ambitious 'bright young thing' who will accept managerial minimum wage in return for exposure in the SPL and the hope of (a) keeping the Hibs' fans satisfied and the team in the SPL and the occasional Cup run whilst simultaneously (to keep said incumbent interested)(b) raising the manager's profile and allowing him to move on in due course.

This is the fundamental error IMO. We need someone who wants to do the job of being Hibernian manager. Yes, I know all these jobs are temporary but not that temporary.

The Board needs to re-think totally its recruitment of the next manager.

Agree with all of this, including the comments about him leaving. The fact that we are looking for our 10th manager in 16 years really backs up everything in your post. Of course some would argue that`s the fans` fault, but whatever.....

The Green Goblin
01-11-2013, 08:30 PM

What message is that? (genuine question - not a dig)

On the contrary, I would have thought that everything in Peejay`s post above shows that the message the club were sending out was that all of that - including Malmo - was okay with them.

Pete
01-11-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm a little upset but it was finished. Disappointed that it didn't work but thats life and I'm sure he's as relieved as we all are.

I'm also fairly excited as it's a new beginning and it's off into the great unknown again. Time for a drink or two!

(insert swipe at Petrie and the board here to finish)

heretoday
01-11-2013, 08:34 PM
I am sorry he's gone. He is a decent guy. He says he would have gone even he we had won the other night. I find that hard to believe!

Cropley10
01-11-2013, 08:37 PM

On the contrary, I would have thought that everything in Peejay`s post above shows that the message the club were sending out was that all of that - including Malmo - was okay with them.

The boy's a wind up merchant. Villagers and pitchforks. Jeezo.

Duffys13
01-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Whoever comes in has a very decent squad.

This might be the difference this time. I think we have a squad that makes the job more attractive. Not a massive re-building job required.

RedHibby
01-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think that much will change when a new manager is appointed because the problems go a lot deeper than just the manager and players.

Northernhibee
01-11-2013, 10:34 PM
I honestly think he should have had to the end of the season - although slow he did bring us continual progress and three losses in eleven games is not a record to sack a manager - even if it was someone like Celtic - and I do feel that we'd have had a respectable finish in the league under Pat.

I can understand the reasoning in him leaving now but quite honesty I don't agree with it.

silverhibee
01-11-2013, 10:40 PM

:rockin: :partyhibb :banana::nanafunk::nanasplit::nanawave:

Northernhibee
01-11-2013, 10:46 PM
:rockin: :partyhibb :banana::nanafunk::nanasplit::nanawave:

He's been incredibly respectful in his interviews and been hugely selfless in a dog eat dog world by voluntarily stepping down - absolutely nae need.

Sir David Gray
01-11-2013, 10:46 PM
I am unhappy because the biggest problem is still there and Fenlon leaving will change very little at the club.

Fenlon had lost the support of the fans and from that perspective, it was almost inevitable that he would be leaving at some point in the near future. However I feel that he had finally got together a squad of players who, in the main, would have been with us for the next 2-3 years. It's been some time since we've been able to say that, given the number of loan players we've had on our books recently and the amount of players that we've had who were only on short term contracts. We were still a few players short in key areas of the team but I was hoping that could be rectified in January.

I said from day one that he had to be given at least two years to get his team on the park and stamp his authority on the club. He didn't quite make two years with us but he wasn't far away. I think there were positive signs there, although I accept that there were too many negatives to outweigh the positives.

Once again, we're going to appoint a new manager and we're going to have another period of "transition". This can be loosely translated into being a period of time where we'll be told to be patient and not take too much notice of results as the new man finds his feet, assesses the squad and identifies his own players that he wants to bring in.

The problem is we never seem to be out of transition. It seems to be a never ending cycle at the club and, frankly, I'm sick to death of it.

Most people seem to be happy that Fenlon is away but as far as I'm concerned, we're not even close to overcoming our problems.

Squealing pig
01-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Give fenlon his.due he.sorted out the gk.position.where every other manager has failed

IberianHibernian
01-11-2013, 11:16 PM
I honestly think he should have had to the end of the season - although slow he did bring us continual progress and three losses in eleven games is not a record to sack a manager - even if it was someone like Celtic - and I do feel that we'd have had a respectable finish in the league under Pat.

I can understand the reasoning in him leaving now but quite honesty I don't agree with it.Agree with this and suspect that new manager will be considered a success by taking us into top 4 , something I think Pat would have done too if fans had given him a chance . Some of his critics here attacked him before he`d even sat in the dugout ( they`ll know why ) and many of the others only needed a couple of wins in September to change their minds . Anyway , he may have other offers and just have decided that it wasn`t worth the hassle - despite his dignified interview , I doubt his opinión of his time at Hibs is as positive as he says .

Pete
01-11-2013, 11:32 PM
I am unhappy because the biggest problem is still there and Fenlon leaving will change very little at the club.

Fenlon had lost the support of the fans and from that perspective, it was almost inevitable that he would be leaving at some point in the near future. However I feel that he had finally got together a squad of players who, in the main, would have been with us for the next 2-3 years. It's been some time since we've been able to say that, given the number of loan players we've had on our books recently and the amount of players that we've had who were only on short term contracts. We were still a few players short in key areas of the team but I was hoping that could be rectified in January.

I said from day one that he had to be given at least two years to get his team on the park and stamp his authority on the club. He didn't quite make two years with us but he wasn't far away. I think there were positive signs there, although I accept that there were too many negatives to outweigh the positives.

Once again, we're going to appoint a new manager and we're going to have another period of "transition". This can be loosely translated into being a period of time where we'll be told to be patient and not take too much notice of results as the new man finds his feet, assesses the squad and identifies his own players that he wants to bring in.

The problem is we never seem to be out of transition. It seems to be a never ending cycle at the club and, frankly, I'm sick to death of it.

Most people seem to be happy that Fenlon is away but as far as I'm concerned, we're not even close to overcoming our problems.

What are these massive, deep-rooted problems I keep hearing about?

Can anyone explain how the appointment of the correct manager won't solve all our problems?

I think it's people looking too deeply into things for no reason that I can think of. It's almost like negativity is the default emotion and success on the park and the associated feelings would take you somewhere uncomfortable. Or is it all about getting excuses in early?

Not aimed at you personally FH, but I'm fed up of people talking about Easter Road like it's the twin peaks of football with these deep, dark secrets.

We're not that different from anywhere else. If anything, we're in a better position and success can be achieved if we just find that missing piece and let him get on with it!

Simples:aok:

Sir David Gray
02-11-2013, 12:28 AM
What are these massive, deep-rooted problems I keep hearing about?

Can anyone explain how the appointment of the correct manager won't solve all our problems?

I think it's people looking too deeply into things for no reason that I can think of. It's almost like negativity is the default emotion and success on the park and the associated feelings would take you somewhere uncomfortable. Or is it all about getting excuses in early?

Not aimed at you personally FH, but I'm fed up of people talking about Easter Road like it's the twin peaks of football with these deep, dark secrets.

We're not that different from anywhere else. If anything, we're in a better position and success can be achieved if we just find that missing piece and let him get on with it!

Simples:aok:

It's the fact that I don't believe the board is capable of recruiting the correct manager that is one of the reasons why I don't believe Fenlon's departure is going to achieve anything.

I explained on another thread a couple of days ago that I didn't think that the targets that our managers were being set were being communicated clearly enough and I thought that whenever the board were pressed for an answer on what goals we had set for ourselves, the response was often quite ambiguous and lacking in clarity.

We need leadership from the very top of the club and I don't believe we're getting that under the present regime.

We will be revisiting this very topic in approximately 18-24 months time, trust me.

Pete
02-11-2013, 01:20 AM
It's the fact that I don't believe the board is capable of recruiting the correct manager that is one of the reasons why I don't believe Fenlon's departure is going to achieve anything.

I explained on another thread a couple of days ago that I didn't think that the targets that our managers were being set were being communicated clearly enough and I thought that whenever the board were pressed for an answer on what goals we had set for ourselves, the response was often quite ambiguous and lacking in clarity.

We need leadership from the very top of the club and I don't believe we're getting that under the present regime.

We will be revisiting this very topic in approximately 18-24 months time, trust me.

I think Hughes or Mixu would have worked if they had given them time. I believe they were the correct managers but they jumped the gun and I think they realised that and were determined to give the next appointments some time. With Pat I think they took lots of advice and appointed a hotly tipped young manager who they backed with time and money. I'm not sure many people in the know would have predicted that Pat would fail. I'm not going to mention CC. The overall selection process and results have come in for a lot of criticism but I just think we've either got the actual appointment or the time afforded to them wrong in each case (apart from CC). I think we've learned on the issue of time and once we get the right man in it will click.

As for targets, I'm not sure how anyone could know about how clearly they were communicated to the manager. You certainly can't form an opinion on that based on the answers supporters receive. I don't expect board members to release managerial targets into the public domain, especially not in a business like football. It would be heaping pressure on the manager.

As for leadership from the very top, I agree to an extent but what is the realistic alternative to Farmer and therefore Petrie? Plenty have moaned but what are they going to do about it? And by that I mean offer a realistic, alternative ownership model that leaves us in just as secure a financial position.

Imagine instigating a movement to oust Tom Farmer without having a realistic plan or millions to back it up which would ensure financial security. What kind of selfish, self- centred individual would do that?

I don't think anyone would but I'm still waiting to hear the details of these alternatives. They surely must be forthcoming as there are so many on here who clearly know how to run a football club properly.

macd123
02-11-2013, 03:27 AM
6I think it's wrong. Are we such a big club now that reaching cup finals and improving the squad, improving our league position is now a sackable offence?

Pat was the best we have had since mowbray. Look at the players he has bought compared to the previous lot. We now have a very good squad and need to stop signing players and start coaching. We have a good goalkeeper for the first time in more than a decade. We have good quality defenders and plenty of creativity (robertson, zoubir, harris, handling, stanton, craig). We have strikers who will score at this level.

Pat s biggest mistake was over achieving in the cups when we werent ready. Against malmo we played 5 19 year olds in pre season against the swedish champions and lost mcpake early doors. How he dragged us into the derby final god knows! Even then it was 2-1 before the dodgy penalty and red card which was hardly pat s fault.

Anyone who wants John collins, remember the garbage he signed. Anyone who wants kenny shiels, look at where killie were in the league when he left.

We have got to a place where any slump leads to the sack and players are written off after one bad game. We are used to failing managers and we expect the worst. Pat didn't deserve that but at least the bbc sportsound clowns will be happy.

Onion
02-11-2013, 04:07 AM

:top marks Absolutely spot on. The main problems at Hibernian FC remain. Fenlon's departure doesn't change that.

Pete
02-11-2013, 04:31 AM
:top marks Absolutely spot on. The main problems at Hibernian FC remain. Fenlon's departure doesn't change that.

Tell us all what they are then and more importantly, tell me your solution.

You could inflate the Hindenburg with all the hot air on this site.

green day
02-11-2013, 05:05 AM
PF was the manager in charge of a cup final thrashing to 'them', another capitulation to the tic, the largest aggregate defeat in Europe - ever, and two defeats to to a bunch of 20 year olds from 'them'.

How many more like that should we have taken?

Nice guy, sure. Hibs manager, nah.

Beefster
02-11-2013, 06:50 AM
I'm finding it slightly bizarre that pre-resignation folk were pretty unanimous about the damage he was doing to Hibs. One 'farewell' interview later, and some folk are practically getting emotional about him and his reign. Give it a couple of years and he'll be the man who saved Hibs and was undone by the impatience of some selfish fans.

He should have gone earlier and, whilst he has improved the squad, he had no idea how to utilise them effectively and he was driving supporters away with his anti-football. I'm not unhappy that he's gone, I'm just relieved.

Moon unit
02-11-2013, 06:55 AM
I liked Pat ..honest guy, but the Buzz had gone and it was getting to the point that attending ER was becoming a chore! We all need the smile put back on our faces...Petrie get it sorted!

Cropley10
02-11-2013, 07:02 AM
6I think it's wrong. Are we such a big club now that reaching cup finals and improving the squad, improving our league position is now a sackable offence?

Pat was the best we have had since mowbray. Look at the players he has bought compared to the previous lot. We now have a very good squad and need to stop signing players and start coaching. We have a good goalkeeper for the first time in more than a decade. We have good quality defenders and plenty of creativity (robertson, zoubir, harris, handling, stanton, craig). We have strikers who will score at this level.

Pat s biggest mistake was over achieving in the cups when we werent ready. Against malmo we played 5 19 year olds in pre season against the swedish champions and lost mcpake early doors. How he dragged us into the derby final god knows! Even then it was 2-1 before the dodgy penalty and red card which was hardly pat s fault.

Anyone who wants John collins, remember the garbage he signed. Anyone who wants kenny shiels, look at where killie were in the league when he left.

We have got to a place where any slump leads to the sack and players are written off after one bad game. We are used to failing managers and we expect the worst. Pat didn't deserve that but at least the bbc sportsound clowns will be happy.

Step away from the keyboard.

Eye bleedingly bad football, boatloads of players signed, very many of them terrible.

last season Sparky saved us. This season we've scored two more goals than Hearts. That after being given money and the full pre season.

Jambos around the world are gutted he's left.

Golden Bear
02-11-2013, 07:13 AM

A couple of reasonable sentences in there but in the main your post can only be described as bizarre.

In my humble opinion of course.

Kato
02-11-2013, 08:33 AM
:confused: surely a good man manager gets the best out of his players

I think his bad points were purely technical. There's no way the players aren't trying and you could see on Wednesday the dressing room is together.

Ask Sparky about his man management next time you see him.

or

Carry on slating everything about him because you think your opinion is more important than the truth.

macd123
02-11-2013, 08:47 AM
A couple of reasonable sentences in there but in the main your post can only be described as bizarre.

In my humble opinion of course.

Fair enough but which bit is bizarre. I found the sportsound pundits pretty bizarre when saying fenlon was under pressure when we were 4th. Same for the scotsman saying there were 200 protesters. There can't have been more than 40.

Maybe it is the style of play thing. We had the same with mixu who left after finishing 6th. Yet some people want jc back when the guy was a disaster. He won the cup with mowbrays team then replaced them with brian kerr, noubissie, alan obrien, antoine-courier.

I just think we are on the wrong path.

macd123
02-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Step away from the keyboard.

Eye bleedingly bad football, boatloads of players signed, very many of them terrible.

last season Sparky saved us. This season we've scored two more goals than Hearts. That after being given money and the full pre season.

Jambos around the world are gutted he's left.

Name the very many terrible players in our squad.
And we don't care what the jam tarts say. They werent too smug last year.

Leithenhibby
02-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Delighted he's gone. Disappointed to hear him saying the Board were still backing him.....Sad that Petrie has not walked with him.....

"Sad" Really, did you honestly think that that was an option?

Some of the "booboys" are starting to sound like some of THEM.....:rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 09:47 AM
"Sad" Really, did you honestly think that that was an option?

Some of the "booboys" are starting to sound like some of THEM.....:rolleyes:

Mr Petrie should be held accountable for failing after failing...... Do you think he is doing a good job?

As for the booboys comment, have a word with yourself......

Cropley10
02-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Name the very many terrible players in our squad.
And we don't care what the jam tarts say. They werent too smug last year.

Nice try.

Two more goals scored than Hearts this season.

Kuqi Soares Kujabi just off the top of my head. Vine is another candidate.

MrSmith
02-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm sad he's gone! Simply because I really wanted him to work out for us however, it didn't but he has left us in a better state than when he arrived. Ta Pat!

What worries me most though is, what we have become as a support?? I remember the eyebleeding days of the 80's where we witnessed dire negative hoofball and a a horrific run against those who are never mentioned! We supported that whole ten years of AM amazingly, win, lose or draw we, the support, were ******g fantastic! To the death! We were hardened, supportive, encouraging, mental! Now, miserable moaners and happyclappers, never sure of where we are going??

Where is our fight our spirit our never-say-die attitude? Has it left us or has simple lethargy gotten the best of us?

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm sad he's gone! Simply because I really wanted him to work out for us however, it didn't but he has left us in a better state than when he arrived. Ta Pat!

What worries me most though is, what we have become as a support?? I remember the eyebleeding days of the 80's where we witnessed dire negative hoofball and a a horrific run against those who are never mentioned! We supported that whole ten years of AM amazingly, win, lose or draw we, the support, were ******g fantastic! To the death! We were hardened, supportive, encouraging, mental! Now, miserable moaners and happyclappers, never sure of where we are going??

Where is our fight our spirit our never-say-die attitude? Has it left us or has simple lethargy gotten the best of us?

Aye it's the fault of the fan's......Imagine craving success eh:rolleyes:

MrSmith
02-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Aye it's the fault of the fan's......Imagine craving success eh:rolleyes:

Sorry for the confusion, wasn't meant like that. I think we need to look inwardly too, we were the best supporters but now, its dire at games! We used roar like f***, cheer and sing no matter how bad it was! Its just not the same!

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Sorry for the confusion, wasn't meant like that. I think we need to look inwardly too, we were the best supporters but now, its dire at games! We used roar like f***, cheer and sing no matter how bad it was! Its just not the same!

I think on field performances have sapped even the most fervent supporter's enthusiasm.....

MrSmith
02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I think on field performances have sapped even the most fervent supporter's enthusiasm.....

I think that is a big part of it but where has our steely determination gone? WE ARE THE HIBS afterall!

BoltonHibee
02-11-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm finding it slightly bizarre that pre-resignation folk were pretty unanimous about the damage he was doing to Hibs. One 'farewell' interview later, and some folk are practically getting emotional about him and his reign. Give it a couple of years and he'll be the man who saved Hibs and was undone by the impatience of some selfish fans.

He should have gone earlier and, whilst he has improved the squad, he had no idea how to utilise them effectively and he was driving supporters away with his anti-football. I'm not unhappy that he's gone, I'm just relieved.

Agreed, one interview and the man is the Saint.

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
I think that is a big part of it but where has our steely determination gone? WE ARE THE HIBS afterall!

One kick in the nethers once too often, drains determination.....Up to the Club to prove their worth, and get the passion back......

DaveF
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Completely agree. Some of the fawning and praise heaped on Fenlon after that interview is giving me the boak.

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Completely agree. Some of the fawning and praise heaped on Fenlon after that interview is giving me the boak.

Yip, hardly anyone wanted him to remain in situ, his style of football, tactics, results were all being questioned, and suddenly after interview, the man is praised for his dignified exit.....

ian cruise
02-11-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm unhappy it didn't work out, we had done good times during Pat's reign but they weren't enough to make up for the bad results in the games that count. It always felt like we were only a few games away from everything clicking but it never did. I still think he had an eye for player but I'm not sure he knows what to do with them once signed. I think under a different manager some of our recent signings will flourish.

Leithenhibby
02-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Yip, hardly anyone wanted him to remain in situ, his style of football, tactics, results were all being questioned, and suddenly after interview, the man is praised for his dignified exit.....

As a human being and a gentleman, why not? why not be civil, the man has put his hands up and said "enough is enough"

He made it perfectly clear from day one that he would walk if "HE felt he had done all he could. Don't forget, we had ten years of Alex Miller, and boy, was that sore!

Oranje39
02-11-2013, 10:42 AM
I think he should have stayed til the end of the season.

Keith_M
02-11-2013, 10:48 AM

So much of that is just not true that I don't kow where to start....

First, the eye-bleeding days of the 80s actually resulted in the lowest crowds since the 1930s. Did you know, for instance, that the HIGHEST attendance in our 1st Div season in 80/81 was LESS than our LOWEST attendance in 1st Div season 1998/99?

Second, people whinged about Alex Millar for most of his tenure, it's just that we didn't have the Internet for most of that time. When his team were good, we got very good crowds (e.g. over 5,000 for a midweek 3pm kick-off against M/Well) but we got some rotten attendances as well.

Please try not to re-write history how it suits you.

Thecat23
02-11-2013, 10:51 AM
I think he should have stayed til the end of the season.

Can I ask why? And in what basis should he have stayed till then?

silverhibee
02-11-2013, 10:52 AM
He's been incredibly respectful in his interviews and been hugely selfless in a dog eat dog world by voluntarily stepping down - absolutely nae need.

Aye, whatever young chap.

silverhibee
02-11-2013, 11:01 AM

He's a good guy. :dunno:

MrSmith
02-11-2013, 11:03 AM
So much of that is just not true that I don't kow where to start....

First, the eye-bleeding days of the 80s actually resulted in the lowest crowds since the 1930s. Did you know, for instance, that the HIGHEST attendance in our 1st Div season in 80/81 was LESS than our LOWEST attendance in 1st Div season 1998/99?

Second, people whinged about Alex Millar for most of his tenure, it's just that we didn't have the Internet for most of that time. When his team were good, we got very good crowds (e.g. over 5,000 for a midweek 3pm kick-off against M/Well) but we got some rotten attendances as well.

Please try not to re-write history how it suits you.

Probably like you, I was there during the 80's so, as for re-writing history to suit, I don't think so! Facts may prove otherwise however, my point was about us as a unit! although there was some in-fighting with fans during the mid 80's, we cheered and supported some of the ***** we witnessed to the end!

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
As a human being and a gentleman, why not? why not be civil, the man has put his hands up and said "enough is enough"

He made it perfectly clear from day one that he would walk if "HE felt he had done all he could. Don't forget, we had ten years of Alex Miller, and boy, was that sore!

I remember the Miller days, sore indeed. My views on PF are that he was completely out of his depth, was in charge during some horrendous results, the football was awful to watch......

MrRobot
02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Its weird. I wanted him gone and im glad he's gone yet I still feel a but sad that it couldn't work. Seems a genuinely nice guy. Wish him all the best for the future.

Bostonhibby
02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I remember the Miller days, sore indeed. My views on PF are that he was completely out of his depth, was in charge during some horrendous results, the football was awful to watch......

snooky
02-11-2013, 11:26 AM

I'm pitching my tent in your camp, PJ.
Some are saying he's left us in a better shape.
While this may be true, I think anyone with basic managerial skills and PF's budget could have done this given the level we were at under CC.
When all's said & done, Pat's bad results were huge ones and leave us with major scars. I'm also not too convinced about the 'nice guy' tag.
That said, credit where credit's due, he has gone with dignity. He has my respect for that.

Oranje39
02-11-2013, 11:41 AM

I am tired of sacking or managers leaving mid season, we were never going to be relegated and have a chance of finishing top six with a manager that has gotten us to the previous two SC finals.

If there was no improvement then be could walk away at the end of the season with a new guy coming in with a full new season in front of him.

I think some fans need to get real. Top six and a decent Cup run is what we should hope for and we are on target for that this year.

--------
02-11-2013, 11:44 AM

I have a fair degree of sympathy for him personally, bh. I don't think he or even his appalling predecessor was the real problem at the club, and I don't think his resignation/whatever will change things radically. Things will not improve in any meaningful way while Rod Petrie sits smirking in the directors' box match-day after match-day, setting the agenda for the board, the club and the team in accordance with the wishes of his invisible Godfather Farmer.

But I don't think he still should be the manager - for his own sake as much as for Hibs'.

But until the bosses farther up the club waken up and change their attitude RADICALLY, I expect nothing fundamental to change.

Leithenhibby
02-11-2013, 11:52 AM

:agree: 100%

But some of the "nastiness" shall we say, is so ott. He tried, he got it wrong, he has put his hands up and I for one respect that. Nothing more.

Some would call it "Hibs Class" :wink:

Thecat23
02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I am tired of sacking or managers leaving mid season, we were never going to be relegated and have a chance of finishing top six with a manager that has gotten us to the previous two SC finals.

If there was no improvement then be could walk away at the end of the season with a new guy coming in with a full new season in front of him.

I think some fans need to get real. Top six and a decent Cup run is what we should hope for and we are on target for that this year.

I think we're all tired of sacking managers. Doesn't mean we should stop just for the sake of it. If the right man was appointed then we wouldn't be here. We got mauled in both finals, we lost to hearts worst teams in god knows how long twice, our football was nothing short of horrific, we won 2 or 3 home league games in 2013, fans lost interest and were turning their backs. So on that basis, he should have been sacked before now!

Cropley10
02-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Oh aye. Scoring two more goals than Hearts have it was all panning out nicely.

macd123
02-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Nice try.

Two more goals scored than Hearts this season.

Kuqi Soares Kujabi just off the top of my head. Vine is another candidate.

Nice try. You can name one player in our current squad you think is terrible. He has brought in good players.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2013, 01:51 PM

Nice try. You can name one player in our current squad you think is terrible. He has brought in good players.

Vine and Mullen, Owain Tudor Jones. there's 5 to get you started with.

macd123
02-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Vine and Mullen, Owain Tudor Jones. there's 5 to get you started with.

Ok, we are up to 3, one of whom is an academy player. And i really don't think otj is a terrible player. You should ask terry butcher what he thinks of him.

I understand people didn't like the style of play and the malmo game and cup final were traumatic. But you can at least admit he brought in good players.

Hibrandenburg
02-11-2013, 02:22 PM

For the next manager to be able to assert any sense of authority.

We now have another bunch of players who're sound in the knowledge that if they underperform its the manager who gets it in the neck.

I'm well aware that it's normal for under performing managers to get the boot but 9 managers in 11 years? C'mon tae ****, that's just ludicrous.

I'd hoped that we could at least let Pat finish his contract and put an end to this revolving door madness and maybe give the next man the backing and confidence to kick some ***** without worrying he's gonna be the next scape goat.

Just my opinion based on my man management experience.

Hibrandenburg
02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
ltyf

Ooh! I can do acronyms too.

GTF!

Hibrandenburg
02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
The Hibs support has been incredibly supportive of Fenlon. He's had two years and we were still playing safety-first, turgid pish in the main. Not many managers could have survived 1-5, 0-7 and two losses to a bunch of inexperienced bairns who can't buy a win elsewhere.

The general tone of yours and Andy's posts is that the Hibs fans are at fault for the departure of Fenlon. Make no mistake, Fenlon is responsible for his departure. His inability to get the best out of his resources and his squad were the problem, not the support losing patience after two years.

Might be what you read into it Beefster but definitely not what was meant. I would have wished a more level headed approach is all I'm saying, it might not be a popular opinion but I still think it would have been the right one instead of some of the vile accusations that have been thrown around.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Ok, we are up to 3, one of whom is an academy player. And i really don't think otj is a terrible player. You should ask terry butcher what he thinks of him.

I understand people didn't like the style of play and the malmo game and cup final were traumatic. But you can at least admit he brought in good players.

He's brought in some ok players, we still have a defence like a sieve, and no wide men. There is NO pace at all in the team, little creativity and our main summer signing couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo?

I dont think we have a very good side, i dont think we have the 2nd best squad in the league as some folk seem to think. And after Fenlon signing 30 players since coming to the club, are we really that much better than when he arrived?

We are a middling to lower half team again, one thats the most boring i have witnessed in a very long time, if he'd brought in the amount of good players you and others are alluding to, he'd still be in a job and we'd still be in the cup and further up the league in mine and Terry Butchers opinion. :wink:

hibsbollah
02-11-2013, 02:54 PM

I think you're misinterpreting the reaction. The vast majority of us wanted him gone, and were concerned that his previous statements meant that he would attempt to hang on to his employment at all costs. What he did was step aside, probably at a financial and professional cost to himself, and do a classy interview in which he spoke fondly of the club.

Theres no contradiction at all between wanting him gone because of his shortcomings, and then wishing him well because he's behaved in a dignified and classy way. It reflects well on the fans.

Purple & Green
02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Interesting linking low crowds of the 30s, the 80s and now - all periods of recession and depression. Puts what bobby Williamson did to Hibs crowds in affluent times in context.

I think I might graph crowds and recession for trends

Hibrandenburg
02-11-2013, 03:27 PM
ltyf

Ooh! I can do acronyms too.

GTF!

Beefster
02-11-2013, 03:27 PM
I think you're misinterpreting the reaction.

Only because you seem to think that I'm referring to everyone who wished him luck in future.

There's already attempts to paint the support as the bad guys in this saga (which is nonsense btw) so I wouldn't be surprised to see history rewritten some more in a year or two.

hibsbollah
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Only because you seem to think that I'm referring to everyone who wished him luck in future.

There's already attempts to paint the support as the bad guys in this saga (which is nonsense btw) so I wouldn't be surprised to see history rewritten some more in a year or two.

The support as a whole were patient with Pat IMO. There has been some over the top vitriol (gtf fenlon, paddy **** etc etc) which I think some folk were rightly reacting against. I expect in a year or two Fenlon will be remembered as a pragmatic but flawed manager who steadied the ship after Calderwood, made us more organised but who couldnt evolve us into an attacking side.

Beefster
02-11-2013, 04:23 PM
The support as a whole were patient with Pat IMO. There has been some over the top vitriol (gtf fenlon, paddy **** etc etc) which I think some folk were rightly reacting against. I expect in a year or two Fenlon will be remembered as a pragmatic but flawed manager who steadied the ship after Calderwood, made us more organised but who couldnt evolve us into an attacking side.

I agree with you about some of the vitriol. Twitter is particularly bad for that.

I hope you're right about how he's remembered because that's exactly how it was.

3pm
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Interesting linking low crowds of the 30s, the 80s and now - all periods of recession and depression. Puts what bobby Williamson did to Hibs crowds in affluent times in context.

I think I might graph crowds and recession for trends

Wasn't affluent for the football club though B!

Purple & Green
02-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Fair one R - were you at the rose game today? Meant to text you midweek to see if you want a lift back from st pats doh!

3pm
02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Fair one R - were you at the rose game today? Meant to text you midweek to see if you want a lift back from st pats doh!

Aye, was mate. Won 3-0. Musselburgh better for the the first 20, Rose scored then they were the better side. Musselburgh also down to 10 after half time.