PDA

View Full Version : Sad but inevitable

down-the-slope
01-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Disappointed for the way things have turned out for Pat. Nice guy who I feel had a grip of the main things that needed tackled - however for whatever reason was unable to move the most important one - results & style on the pitch - forward quickly enough

Viva Palmeiras said some time back that he thought that others would benefit form the changes Pat made in terms of getting rid of the Billy Big Baws / discipline etc...all things that were very wrong..but that he would not ultimately succeed in taking us to the next level (paraphrasing)

Sadly the second part has proved to be true...lets hope the first part is correct and that who ever comes in can build on the good things done, but get the team on the park and playing style right as well...

I must admit to being concerned however that some of the underlying flaws in our club remain that stop managers and players reaching and demonstrating the potential they have....leading to the cycle of under-performance and decline in the stability of the football side of the club we have seen in last 5 + years

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-11-2013, 06:10 PM
The only sad thing is that it took so long.

down-the-slope
01-11-2013, 06:53 PM
The only sad thing is that it took so long.

We will need to disagree then... If we had got the right results last 2 matches we would be sitting 4th (1 point behind 2nd & 3rd) and in another cup semi.......

Things would look a whole lot different - we didn't and therefore given the fine line between these things something had to change....

However there are things out with managers control that have not changed in the last numbers of years that the new manager will have to contend with.....

patch1875
01-11-2013, 06:57 PM
We will need to disagree then... If we had got the right results last 2 matches we would be sitting 4th (1 point behind 2nd & 3rd) and in another cup semi.......

Things would look a whole lot different - we didn't and therefore given the fine line between these things something had to change....

However there are things out with managers control that have not changed in the last numbers of years that the new manager will have to contend with.....

That was his problem he failed in every big game.

down-the-slope
01-11-2013, 07:00 PM

We won 2 cup semi's - were unbeaten in 5 against them last season....I could go on....

It had come to point that a parting was needed...rewriting history is not....

Vini1875
01-11-2013, 07:01 PM
I liked Pat Fenlon, but more as a guy I'd be happy to have a pint with. As Hibs manager, the football was quite hard to watch. Although as has been said our problems relate to more than just PF.

Hibby70
01-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Tell you one thing at least he left without slagging the club or dishonesty. The guy wanted to be here and for that I won't be jumping with joy he's away. He's gone about it the right way. Good luck in your next job Pat.

erskine-hibby
01-11-2013, 07:03 PM

And in most others too. The biggest failing though was to instill confidence in the players and the fans.

Dalkeith Boy
01-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Pat Fenlon was a class act from start to finish....he will succeed...good luck Pat!!

Baldy Foghorn
01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
I lost faith in him at Parkhead match last season.....Malmo debacle should have been enough to see the back of him.....

The only sad thing for me is the Board still remain in situ, and nothing will change unless new people are recruited......Petrie is smug, condescending and treats the supporter's with utter contempt......Not at all healthy

banchoryhibs
01-11-2013, 07:37 PM
I really hoped that he would be a success at the club but the reality is that it was a step too far for him and his tactical naivety was exposed far too often.

Nice guy - a bit out of his depth. I hope he does well in the future but like most he won't be back to haunt us.

Petrie needs to get the next one right.....

down-the-slope
01-11-2013, 09:21 PM
I really hoped that he would be a success at the club but the reality is that it was a step too far for him and his tactical naivety was exposed far too often.

Nice guy - a bit out of his depth. I hope he does well in the future but like most he won't be back to haunt us.
:rolleyes:.....

:rolleyes: you hope

Shields Hibee
02-11-2013, 12:11 AM
I liked Pat,as a person he came across as genuine and wanting to succeed at ER if he could.

His tactical naiveness cost him in the end and that I believe is partly down to the gulf between Irish & Scottish football. Performances more often than not were negative and fans got frustrated at watching the team do very little going forward or creating chances. My mate pointed out after the Ross County game, it was like being at touch rugby only it was played with a round ball.

There were some good times under Pat and we shouldn't forget those. Mine are the 3-2 at EEP over Dunfermline, the 4-0 demolition of Dunfermline in the relegation decider at ER, 2nd half of the Falkirk SF, 4-2 at Killie in QF along with back to back cup finals and going unbeaten against the poor boys from Gorgie in a season.

IberianHibernian
02-11-2013, 12:25 AM
And in most others too. The biggest failing though was to instill confidence in the players and the fans.Players ? During his time , players did come back with good results after bad spells whether it was 45 minutes like in cup semi or after several bad results like August this season . Fans ? One example , here on hibs.net 5% wanted him to stay in September and more than 50% ( I think ! ) after results picked up . Players like LG and Stephenson improved greatly after on field and off field problems while Pat was manager . And first comment about matches doesn`t stand up statistically .

Viva_Palmeiras
02-11-2013, 09:21 AM
I've not seen any interviews. I'm not proud to say I aimed a few harsh words towards the dugout I'm but avoided expletives ;) he had to go. His pretty much remaining in the dugout during a critical period whilst others - even the goalkeeping coach said it all.

Changing the culture and setup of the club doesn't happen overnight.
I get the impression Pat (the studious dude we were told about) looked at what he'd inherited, what was wrong on a number of levels and set about taking steps to address. It was and is a huge job but in time we may just find he laid the foundations for future development of the club whilst taking us to two cup finals in the process.

My hope is that this was the transition to end transitions (for a while). But as I said in a previous post - results dear boy - results!