PDA

View Full Version : Michael O'Neill comes home? (Signed 2 year deal with Northern Ireland)

One Day Soon
01-11-2013, 04:30 PM
The Irish manager we perhaps should have gotten last time round.

Well respected, did pretty amazing things with Shamrock Rovers on nil budget, knows that the ball is round and loves a passing game.

And he's worn the green and knows what it means.

Niffy
01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
He comes home ?

He spent as long at Dundee Utd did he not ?

howdenthehibby
01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
:thumbsup:I would go for that

Andy74
01-11-2013, 04:34 PM
No idea what to make of his time with N Ireland. Some shockers, rarely gets a result but poor squad.

Sergio sledge
01-11-2013, 04:34 PM

Well respected, did pretty amazing things with Shamrock Rovers on nil budget, knows that the ball is round and loves a passing game.

Willing to give any manager a chance, but this wouldn't inspire me. Fenlon had a good record in Ireland too. O'neill has won 1 competitive game as manager of N.Ireland.

One Day Soon
01-11-2013, 04:35 PM
No idea what to make of his time with N Ireland. Some shockers, rarely gets a result but poor squad.

Yup, because Eire have been poaching the North's best players for some years now.

heretoday
01-11-2013, 04:36 PM

Good call but I'd think he would be hoping for a job in the Championship at least after N.Ireland.

Gordy M
01-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Mmm not so sure, even with the squad he has, should they really be getting beat by luxembourg and azerbaijan??

One Day Soon
01-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Willing to give any manager a chance, but this wouldn't inspire me. Fenlon had a good record in Ireland too. O'neill has won 1 competitive game as manager of N.Ireland.

He took Shamrock to the group stages of the Europa League on peanuts. See my other post on the N Ireland challenge.

Has good contacts in England and says Gordon Strachan is his main managerial influence.

I think he might do you know.

One Day Soon
01-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Mmm not so sure, even with the squad he has, should they really be getting beat by luxembourg and azerbaijan??

I have an N Irish mate who gives me chapter and verse on just how utterly trashed the NI team is because of the loss of good players to the Republic national side. Trust me, his NI record is not the one to base the judgement on.

Gordy M
01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Fair enough mate, just find it strange that they beat russia and ran portugal close with the same squad but beaten by those two.

patch1875
01-11-2013, 04:44 PM

Sounds familar:dunno:

Springbank
01-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Lives in Edinburgh talks of being a real fan of Hibs, would be a great choice for me, for what it's worth

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Come home? Christ he couldn't wait to get away when he buggered off.

I have no idea how good a manager he is, but lets not get all dewy eyed about this former player who showed no loyalty when at the club.

One Day Soon
01-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Come home? Christ he couldn't wait to get away when he buggered off.

I have no idea how good a manager he is, but lets not get all dewy eyed about this former player who showed no loyalty when at the club.

You're right, let's reject him on the basis of the length of time he spent here as a player rather than anything he's done since...

The Sea-gull
01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Not for me. Lower league Irish football and minor international side experience only. Would prefer spl experience or similar. Not the time for hibs to be trying a clever"outside the box" type appointment. Hasn't worked for us at all. Only yogi came from another spl team. I know he wasn't great but we have only tried it once in recent times. Of the wildcard choices of Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, CC and Pat only Mowbray has been a success. Time for a tried and tested appointment. Who that is, I have no idea.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 04:54 PM
You're right, let's reject him on the basis of the length of time he spent here as a player rather than anything he's done since...

I never said reject him, i said lets not get all dewy eyed over him?

pacorosssco
01-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Not for me. Lower league Irish football and minor international side experience only. Would prefer spl experience or similar. Not the time for hibs to be trying a clever"outside the box" type appointment. Hasn't worked for us at all. Only yogi came from another spl team. I know he wasn't great but we have only tried it once in recent times. Of the wildcard choices of Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, CC and Pat only Mowbray has been a success. Time for a tried and tested appointment. Who that is, I have no idea.

Agree not a stand out candidate.

One Day Soon
01-11-2013, 04:56 PM
I never said reject him, i said lets not get all dewy eyed over him?

I didn't think anyone was. Its a decent bonus if you can pick up the right manager and he's played for the club in the past though.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 04:58 PM
I didn't think anyone was. Its a decent bonus if you can pick up the right manager and he's played for the club in the past though.

The title of this thread sort of suggests otherwise to me?

One Day Soon
01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
The title of this thread sort of suggests otherwise to me?

Really? Maybe 'favoured son' or 'Hibs legend' or 'hibs golden boy' would have given that impression. Perhaps you are a tad emotional over today's events?

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Really? Maybe 'favoured son' or 'Hibs legend' or 'hibs golden boy' would have given that impression. Perhaps you are a tad emotional over today's events?

Maybe you are right, just how i read it? :wink:

silverhibee
01-11-2013, 05:05 PM
As long as Petrie is in charge it won't be O'Neill.

jacomo
01-11-2013, 05:07 PM

Williamson and McLeish both came from other clubs in our league.

I think we have to accept that Hibs is a tough gig.

Andy74
01-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Would he be considered for anything he's done since? Irish football suddenly a decent marker ?

Sergio sledge
01-11-2013, 05:10 PM
He took Shamrock to the group stages of the Europa League on peanuts. See my other post on the N Ireland challenge.

Has good contacts in England and says Gordon Strachan is his main managerial influence.

I think he might do you know.

Fenlon did pretty well in the champions league with one of his sides didn't he?

Whatever is happening with the Irish players, he should have been able to get his team to beat Azerbaijan, Luxembourg or Malta IMHO.

I'm not convinced, but if he comes I'll support him. It was strange that there was such a movement for O'Neill last time even to the stage where there were protests against Fenlon and in favour of O'Neill. In fact was there not some organisation formed who's ambition it was to get O'Neill in as manager?

Sergio sledge
01-11-2013, 05:11 PM

Why?

hibee_nation
01-11-2013, 05:12 PM

I heard he threw a glass of red wine over Rod, no chance he will get the job. :greengrin

Carheenlea
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
I was keen on Michael O`Neil the last time we had a vacancy, but to see how Pat Fenlon, a hugely successful LOI manager, struggle in the Scottish top flight would make me a bit more wary of pinning for O`Neil this time round.
It`s fashionable to stick the boot into Scottish football and compare our top flight as on a par with the LOI, but there is clearly a huge gulf in quality between the leagues, and Pat Fenlon`s tenure at Easter Road should back that up. I have had the misfortune of watching LOI games, and they have been in the main absolutely dreadful and nowhere bear SPL standard, and I would be wary of going down the Irish League route again. Mind you, that has been with the now defunct Galway Utd, and they played in horrific maroon strips which made the experience even more unpleasant, so maybe I`m doing the rest of the league a disservice..!

chrisski33
01-11-2013, 05:21 PM
No way! Fenlon had a good record in ireland. Should look closer to home in scotland or england but some managers could be put off to the fact that the last 3 managers have left hibs in a negative way

Hibbyradge
01-11-2013, 05:22 PM

Zackly!

Jonny1875
01-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Yup, because Eire have been poaching the North's best players for some years now.

Wrong word to use, personal choice, but lets not go there and no he couldn't manage a **** in a whorehouse.

One Day Soon
01-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Wrong word to use, personal choice, but lets not go there and no he couldn't manage a **** in a whorehouse.

You just did.

Jonnyboy
01-11-2013, 09:39 PM

Why? Didn't Levein like him? :wink:

Frazerbob
01-11-2013, 09:49 PM

:agree:

The way Petrie shat on MON when he appointed Fenlon I'd be very surprised if he'd consider coming here this time.

Steven_Hibs
02-11-2013, 08:42 AM
He lives here in Edinburgh, I spoke to him a month or so ago, and I asked him why he never got the Hibs job, he said "its a long story but RP thought PF was the man for the job instead of me, why do you think its coming up soon"

I said "Yeah, its defo coming up" :wink:

NOLA
02-11-2013, 08:16 PM
He lives here in Edinburgh, I spoke to him a month or so ago, and I asked him why he never got the Hibs job, he said "its a long story but RP thought PF was the man for the job instead of me, why do you think its coming up soon"

:greengrin compo to norn iron might be a serious issue id imagine

DH1875
03-11-2013, 12:51 AM

:agree: This is what we're looking for in a manager? God I hope not :confused:. Pretty sure he's been interviewed in the past only for Rod to end up looking else where. Hope it's the same this time around.

blackpoolhibs
03-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Its 1.52 am, i have just got home and nobody wants me. :boo hoo:

DH1875
03-11-2013, 12:53 AM

Pat Fenlon's family still live in Dublin. Maybe he should get the next gig as the Ireland manager :confused:.

ALF TUPPER
03-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Not for me. Was surprised he got the National Team gig TBH.

Hibby_G
03-11-2013, 09:19 AM

It would be good if we got him

ScottB
03-11-2013, 09:26 AM
So someone with a less successful record in Ireland, whose mostly lead NI to a series of humpings?

No thanks.

silverhibee
03-11-2013, 04:54 PM

The way Petrie shat on MON when he appointed Fenlon I'd be very surprised if he'd consider coming here this time.

1875er
04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Well it won't be Michael O'Neill as he has just agreed a new 2 year contract as Northern Ireland manager.

KingFranck
04-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I see he's just signed a new 2 year deal with NI so that's one less for the guessing game lads

Beefster
04-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Its 1.52 am, i have just got home and nobody wants me. :boo hoo:

I know someone else who has that problem.

http://www.femonite.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/lars-and-the-real-girl2.jpg

Stevie Reid
04-11-2013, 12:13 PM

Jesus, that's even worse than Yogi pouring that glass of wine over Rodders :shocked:

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Jesus, that's even worse than Yogi pouring that glass of wine over Rodders :shocked:

:faf:

Future17
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Just to clarify, MON has not yet signed a new deal with NI.

Wheat Hound
04-11-2013, 01:00 PM
So its MON for ROI and MON for NI? On MON 4th Nov. Mon the MONS!

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 01:01 PM
So its MON for ROI and MON for NI? On MON 4th Nov. Mon the MONS!

Hoots! :wink:

cabbageandribs1875
04-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Well it won't be Michael O'Neill as he has just agreed a new 2 year contract as Northern Ireland manager.

pleased :agree: