PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck Pat Fenlon

Ozyhibby
01-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I've wanted him gone for a long time but it's not personal and he probably gave his all for the club so I would like to wish him well in the future.
Good luck Pat.

yeezus.
01-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Completely agree, I'm actually quite upset about his departure, hope he is successful elsewhere

patlowe
01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
I've wanted him gone for a long time but it's not personal and he probably gave his all for the club so I would like to wish him well in the future.
Good luck Pat.

Yep, agreed. Good luck Pat, I'm sure you did your best.

Stevie Reid
01-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Good luck Pat.

Yep, goes with my best wishes. Tried his best and we did have some memorable results and performances, but sadly the defining moments were the disastrous defeats.

Leaves behind a much better playing squad than he inherited though, IMO - and one that when augmented with a bit of pace, could do very well. Have thought similar things before though!

Wish him all the best anyway.

DarrenSQH
Wanted him out but liked him as a guy. It just didnt work out here for him.

Bostonhibby
I agree, mostly conducted himself with dignity, respected the club and presided over a major and overdue clearout of deadwood that I did appreciate. Had to go but isn't the whole problem I feel.
Good luck Pat

David_D
Is such a nice guy but wasn't working here. Wish him well

HibbyAndy
01-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Nice guy but just never cut it at Hibs..We had all the experts all the ex pros all and sundry saying how he would be a success at Hibs.He failed with absolute utter eye bleeding boring dull unimaginative defensive football.

The_Exile
He inherited an absolute shambles of a club, got rid of the dead wood, brung in some good pro's, but played some rank fitba, no hard feelings, I appreciate what you did in exceptionally difficult circumstances, but the time was right to step aside, wishing him all the best in any future endevours.

Vault Boy
Worked very hard, largely changed a poor culture at the club and helped to blood some young players into the first team, but the time had come to move on. All the best to Pat.

Fenlon: "I've been privileged to manage this fantastic football club and I really hopes it does kick on now." :aok:

Completely agree, I'm actually quite upset about his departure, hope he is successful elsewhere

This. :top marks

Saorsa
01-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Good luck Pat.Cannae argue with that, he did some good stuff, it would be churlish (and wrong IMO) tae say otherwise, unfortunately he couldnae make it happen on the park and that's what matters in the end.

#FromTheCapital
01-11-2013, 03:14 PM
All the best pat. Sad it didn't work out for him or us but at this point it's the best thing to do. Worked his socks off so can hold his head high as he leaves Easter road for the last time.

cabbageandribs1875
01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
thanks for doing this to the pink mutant jambo freaks pat :fenlon

Scooter
01-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah this is a weird feeling he had to go but im really sorry it didn't work out I would have loved him to turned things on the park around

The Sea-gull
01-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Never wanted him in the first place but it was never personal and wanted to give him time. Had always set my own time limit of the end of this season before I would seriously shout for his head and have wavered on that a couple of times and maybe midweek has tipped it for me and many others.

It's not all been bad, he took over us when we were a real mess and saved us from relegation and moulded a side that were at least not involved in a relegation battle last season. Doesn't sound great and not where we want to be but he did progress us and the fact that this is progress shows how bad we became under CC.

Thanks to Pat for results such as an exciting 3-2 win at Dunfermline, the semi win against Aberdeen, the first three months of last season plus beating Celtic at ER last Xmas, the cup wins last season v the Yams, Aberdeen, Killie and the second 45 v Falkirk and the last derby of last season.

Sadly, those are all the good things and they are outweighed by some of the most horrific experiences I have had as a Hibs fan. Sadly it is they that the fans of Hibs and all other Scottish teams will remember Pat for.

LancashireHibby
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
For all the misery of derby defeats, Malmo and the like, he was in charge for some wonderful memories, particularly in the cup runs, and he was an absolute gent putting up with us drunken types in Belgium last year so I wish him the very best of luck elsewhere.

JimBHibees
Overwhelming emotion from me is sadness. He seemed to be a decent and hard working manager who has done his best for the club and genuinely seemed to appreciate the opportunity he was given at Hibs. He also actually looked like he liked to be here and to me has done more good than bad however the style of football and some key results (Wednesday being the worst) has meant this was pretty inevitable IMO. Wish him well in the future.

matty_f
All the best, Pat.

hibee_girl
01-11-2013, 03:22 PM

:agree: I'm gutted for him. It's best he left but it's a shame it's happened this way

R'Albin
01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm glad to see he's left with a bit of class unlike Calderwood. He steadied us, but sadly there was no other choice in the end.

Good luck Paddy :agree:

Andy74
01-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Overwhelming emotion from me is sadness. He seemed to be a decent and hard working manager who has done his best for the club and genuinely seemed to appreciate the opportunity he was given at Hibs. He also actually looked like he liked to be here and to me has done more good than bad however the style of football and some key results (Wednesday being the worst) has meant this was pretty inevitable IMO. Wish him well in the future.

Agree with that. We've been to three Scottish Cup Finals in my time of watching Hibs and he's done it two years in a row. Regardless of how they turned out that is an achievement. I hope to see him doing well somewhere soon. I don't think he can go into the disaster category as we have improved since he arrived, just not enough.

FranckSuzy
01-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Pat, you are no doubt a man of integrity so thank you for doing 'the right thing' and walking away when it was clear you could take the club no further. I wish you all the best in the future. GGTTH.

bigstu
Was just thinking the same myself. Good luck Pat :agree::thumbsup:

Thecat23
Good luck to you Pat, hope you do well back home.

Gatecrasher
Agree with most on this thread, good luck in the future Paddy!

Hibs7
01-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Is such a nice guy but wasn't working here. Wish him well

As you said ...pity I did hope he could produce a good team .

Waxy
Good luck Pat.

Eyrie
Fenlon came with a good reputation but wasn't able to replicate his success in Ireland with us. Although he wasn't good enough here, there is no questioning his commitment and he's a decent guy, so I wish him well for the future.

jacomo
01-11-2013, 03:30 PM
All the best Pat. Sad it ended this way but I think Wednesday was the last straw.

WestEndHibee
01-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Yeh good luck pat! Had a heck of a job to do when he came in and he definitely did steady the ship. Would've loved to have seen him take it forward but it wasn't to be. Hopefully we can both go on to better things.

JustSimplyHibs
01-11-2013, 03:38 PM
All the best Pat

You done a good job off the field! Getting rid of alot of deadwood, players seemed to like you so i would imagine you were a no bad guy behind the scenes, good man-management skills and helped shape the future of a leading Scotland forward and club idol in Leigh. Instilled a bit of discipline behind the scenes.

You've left the team in good shape and some would argue the 2nd best squad in the league - on paper. Just a shame they didn't do it.

Much appreciated for what you done, honorable man and resigned after giving it one last go following the start of the season.

Good luck for the future.

Bronson
01-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Nice guy, wish him all the best. Felt a large section of our support were awfully harsh on him with the protest the other night, i didn't enjoy seeing that.

He steadied us and fixed the damage Calderclown inflicted, just couldn't take us any further forward. The hoofball tactics were unbearable as well, just a case of out his depth i think.

I wanted him to go but I find myself feeling quite sad about it, his comments tweeted by the hibs twitter showed how much he valued the club. The players clearly loved him, hope he's back in a job soon.

SMAXXA
01-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Wish you all the best Pat, thanks for everything you gave to our club. Dignified man who tried his hardest. Wish you every success in the world pal.

Hedlund12
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Nice guy but just never cut it at Hibs..We had all the experts all the ex pros all and sundry saying how he would be a success at Hibs.He failed with absolute utter eye bleeding boring dull unimaginative defensive football.

Andy, the title of this thread is Good Luck Pat Fenlon:

I chose to read this thread hoping I'd read some complimentary posts about the good things Pat has done at Hibs.

He deserves some credit for a lot of the good things he has done at the club.

I'm sick to the back teeth of all the negativity that has been aimed at this guy. He is a human after all!

If some of the mud that has been slung his way had been done in a national newspaper - I'd say he'd be within his rights to sue for defamation of character. Cut him some slack he has done the decent thing and gone now. Lets give the guy some respect.

All the very best Pat Fenlon - I wish you every success on your next appointment.

brog
01-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Wish you all the best Pat, thanks for everything you gave to our club. Dignified man who tried his hardest. Wish you every success in the world pal.

:top marks, but at same time I feel considerable relief. Every thing PF did in his time at ER he did with dignity. I wish him every success in the future.

Aldo
01-11-2013, 03:54 PM
A genuine nice guy. All the best Pat. Cheers

CallumLaidlaw
01-11-2013, 03:54 PM
I echo the above. I'm sad it hasn't worked out. He seems a genuine, honest, hard working man. He has improved the squad, and although some may disagree, there HAS been progress. Just not enough with the budget and time he has had. I wish him well in his future.

Liams
01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
His time had come, but i have to thank him for what he done to the club, got us away for cc style, we started to deffend better being harder to beat, got us big ben and mainly a spine and got us two finals.

scuttle
01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Could have had a go at the support before he left and would have been entitled to do so as hes had a tough time on here but has left with dignity. It just wasnt to be for Pat so good luck in your next venture Paddy

Wilson
01-11-2013, 03:58 PM
He took us as far as he could. We have a better squad and are in a better place than when he joined us. It was time for a change but you cannot fault Pat for effort.

Thanks Pat. Good luck.

Waxy
01-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Must admit i feel sad at Pat leaving.I know it's for the best but he did care about Hibs and our supporters.
Can't say that for every manager we have had.Some just didn't give a damn.
Pat Fenlon, one of the nicest guys ever to manage Hibs.

fat freddy
01-11-2013, 03:59 PM
despite the obvious bad results under pat...we had some cracking ones as well

the away day at killie in the cup was brilliant

beating aberdeen at hampden was unexpected

cup tie against aberdeen with deigans 25 yarder was memorable

going unbeaten against the yams for the whole of last season...5 games!...thats never happened since the early seventies

beating celtic at e.r.

winning 4-0 at motherwell on a friday night...we looked like we were going places at that point

good laugh down in ayr sticks out as well

feel free to add your favourite memories...good luck pat.

WestEndHibee
01-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Must admit i feel sad at Pat leaving.I know it's for the best but he did care about Hibs and our supporters.
Can't say that for every manager we have had.Some just didn't give a damn.
Pat Fenlon, one of the nicest guys ever to manage Hibs.

Yeh, I agree. It was a change to have someone who wouldn't put his ego in front of the club. Great guy, shame he couldn't step us up to the next gear.

jdships
01-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Yep, goes with my best wishes. Tried his best and we did have some memorable results and performances, but sadly the defining moments were the disastrous defeats.

Leaves behind a much better playing squad than he inherited though, IMO - and one that when augmented with a bit of pace, could do very well. Have thought similar things before though!

Wish him all the best anyway.

:top marks:agree:

The Tubs
01-11-2013, 04:06 PM
It says in the official statement that he's going to give an interview to Hibs TV about his resignation. I've got to say that that shows balls as well as a lot of respect for the club and fans.

andy1875
01-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Wee Paddy,

You came in, steadied the ship, kept us up, got us to two SC finals (albeit horrible results) and have left us with a far better squad than you inherited.

There might have been a small argument for giving you more time, however football is a harsh business and in the end, the general feeling was that you'd taken us as far as you could have done.

A good honest man who did a decent job.

All the best mate.

WestEndHibee
01-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Wee Paddy,

You came in, steadied the ship, kept us up, got us to two SC finals (albeit horrible results) and have left us with a far better squad than you inherited.

There might have been a small argument for giving you more time, however football is a harsh business and in the end, the general feeling was that you'd taken us as far as you could have done.

A good honest man who did a decent job.

All the best mate.

:top marks

capitals_finest
01-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Thank you Pat and all the best to you and your family for the future.

As others have said I would definitely say you have left us in better shape than when you found us. You have always represented our club in the way it should be as a true gentleman and an honourable one too.

hibby rae
01-11-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm sad to see him go. In my opinion he saved this club and I'll be eternally grateful for that Thank you Pat, I'll get you a pint if I get the chance.

Dashing Bob S
01-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Pat, all the best to you.

I think everybody wanted him to succeed, as he came over as a good guy who cared about the club - a huge contrast to what we had before.

PeeJay
01-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Good luck to him wherever he goes - I'm sad and glad to see him go - think he made the right decision.

Northernhibee
01-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Top bloke who I'd liked to have had longer all in all.

Thanks for your efforts Pat, top guy and a good manager.

Allan45
01-11-2013, 04:16 PM
All the very best Pat.
hope you succeed if you are going back to football management..:flag:

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
All the best Pat, you made some tough (correct) decisions that your predecessors weren't up to. Hibs are in a better place now than when you joined us and I thank you for that and wish you all the luck o the Irish in your future endeavors.

zitelli62
01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
all the best pat you changed the culture at the club good luck in your next appointment.

Capt Mainwaring
01-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Best decision for all parties, but I wish him all the best for the future

Time to move on

weonlywon6-2
01-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Since wednesday i was hacked off and just wished hed move on,now he has i feel disappointed.
Shame it didnt work,all the beat pat,will keep an eye on where you go next

Fergus52
01-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Cheers for all the good memories Pat, wishing you all the best.

Both runs to Hampen were amazing, would rather get to the final and lose than not get there at all.

He changed the George street culture among the players and managed to instill discipline into them.

He went a season unbeaten against hearts.

He managed to get Leigh to buckle down and become the player he is just now.

He set up the basics of a good squad for his successor to hopefully have success with.

Fair play to him as well, for realising when it was time to leave, instead of taking a wage until August.

hibby rae
01-11-2013, 04:29 PM
As Hibs managers go, he's one of the best I've seen. We bang on about Mogga etc. but he had most things in place when he started. McLeish did a similar job but he was able to shell out 5 grand a week wages. Pat took on a horrible job at the time and he's actually left quite an attractive prospect for a manager.

GlenrothesHibee
01-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Im gutted for Pat. The first 45 minutes on Wednesday was the best ive seen us in years. On another night we're 3-4 nill up at half time and the mans a hero. Alas we didn't score and the rest is history. He had a monumental job when he came here and like others have said, leaves us in far better shape than when he took over. Thanks and all the best

Elephant Stone
01-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Well done everyone, you won.

hibbydog
01-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I respected his character and integrity more than him being a nice guy ( which I also admired btw)

Could have walked after various embarrassments but fought on and did his utmost to turn things around. He made progress and in the end was smart enough to realise that the best thing for everyone was for him to leave.

Steadied the ship, made improvements and has left a decent squad.

Really wanted it to work out for him.

Leaves with our thanks.

All the best pat.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Just a pity Pat couldn't eh?

HibbyAndy
01-11-2013, 04:58 PM

So its our, The fans fault ? Behave yersel eh.

Bob Box Fish
01-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Can't wish a man good luck after he will be leaving us with nightmares for a long time to come.

Onion
01-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Prize for the most stupid comment of the day :rolleyes:

mjhibby
01-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Good luck indeed pat.It always seem to be the fans werent behind probably because of the 5-1 defeat and i doubt whether he would ever have won over those who were so vocal in getting him out.Be careful what you wish for though as i dont see a queque of top class managers wanting the job.Ruling out anyone with a hertz connction and who have been overlooked before the only candidates i can see are ian murrayn,alan archibald and terry butcher. Mowbray i doubt would come back and mcnamara i believe isnt interested either.I know many people have reservations of giving ian murray the job but i think we could do a lot worse.He is a very driven guy and has performed miracles at dumbarton. He also likes to play attacking football.Whoever gets the job we need to get right behind as we seem to suffering the same way spurs are and not doing the business at home but picking up results away.No doubt rod will surprise us but surely he must have known fenlon going could have happened a while earlier and has people in mind.Cue the outrageous speculation.

The Sea-gull
01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Prize for the most stupid comment of the day :rolleyes:

Aye. Matter of time before someone posted something of that ilk. Nobody has "won" out of all of this. Not Pat, not the fans and certainly not the team. Didn't win enough anyway.

Bobby's Cinema
01-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Not so sure I can thank him for the memories.

All the best Pat :aok:

Saorsa
01-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Well done everyone, you won.aye, whatever :aok:

Borderhibbie76
01-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Nice guy and wish him well in the future but had to go. In hindsight should have gone after Malmo as he has been on a hiding to nothing since that night with most of us. U always felt we were just 1 defeat away from everyone turning on him after that debacle.
Has changed some things for better in his 2 years but tactically inept

Treadstone
01-11-2013, 05:17 PM

http://ppcdn.500px.org/35156124/47c949f684801a154cb61aef82d3c2dc34702f2c/3.jpg

Saorsa
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Can't wish a man good luck after he will be leaving us with nightmares for a long time to come.Better just saying nothing on this thread then as it was tae wish him good luck? It wisnae working, it's done.

lapsedhibee
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Good luck indeed pat.It always seem to be the fans werent behind probably because of the 5-1 defeat and i doubt whether he would ever have won over those who were so vocal in getting him out.Be careful what you wish for though as i dont see a queque of top class managers wanting the job.Ruling out anyone with a hertz connction and who have been overlooked before the only candidates i can see are ian murray,alan archibald and terry butcher. Mowbray i doubt would come back and mcnamara i believe isnt interested either.I know many people have reservations of giving ian murray the job but i think we could do a lot worse.He is a very driven guy and has performed miracles at dumbarton. He also likes to play attacking football.Whoever gets the job we need to get right behind as we seem to suffering the same way spurs are and not doing the business at home but picking up results away.No doubt rod will surprise us but surely he must have known fenlon going could have happened a while earlier and has people in mind.Cue the outrageous speculation.

Well, since you mention it, I saw IM coming out of Hardengreen Tesco at about 1.30 today with what I presume was his wee boy. However, he wasn't carrying any shopping. If that's not proof that he was interrupted by something very important during his visit, I don't know what is. Clearly the 'tache phoned him up and invited him to ER/EM for some very urgent talks.

WhileTheChief..
01-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Cracking interview from him. Leaves with head held high. Hibs class.

thebakerboy
01-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Im gutted for Pat. The first 45 minutes on Wednesday was the best ive seen us in years. On another night we're 3-4 nill up at half time and the mans a hero. Alas we didn't score and the rest is history. He had a monumental job when he came here and like others have said, leaves us in far better shape than when he took over. Thanks and all the best

Was speaking to a Celtic fan today who said the first 25 mins. on Wednesday was the best he had seen from Hibs for several years , and I sort of agreed with him but the inability to convert this into a winning score was still hurting , but now I feel slightly uncomfortable that Pat has left but maybe it's for the best. Anyway all the best for the future Pat and thanks for not hanging around where you might have ended up being disliked. Think you leave with the best wishes from all Hibees , so good luck in whatever you do in the future.

steviehibsleith
01-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Cracking interview from him. Leaves with head held high. Hibs class.
Totally agree good luck Pat for the future

Thecat23
01-11-2013, 05:31 PM
If only Pat had played the way we played that first half when he came in or in either of the finals and Malmo game. He wouldn't be gone.

Watching his interview I honestly felt so sorry on him. He's really tried and he has held up his hands and said he's just not good enough. That takes guts. Nothing but praise to us as well even after the abuse. Calderwood couldn't care less when he left.

Pat I personally hope you get another job soon and hope it suits you and you do well.

andy1875
01-11-2013, 05:36 PM
That interview on STV was absolute class from Fenlon.

Honest, heartfelt and conducted with dignity.

As i said earlier in this thread, a real shame things haven't worked out but how refreshing to see a Hibs manger leave with his head held high.

Fenriz
01-11-2013, 05:39 PM
All the best Pat. Sad that it's come to this, wanted so much for things to turn around for you, but without a doubt it's a welll done for making the right decision. Unlike a couple of your predecessors, I've got a few joyous memories from your time in charge- sincere and warm best wishes for your future. GGTTH!

Thecat23
01-11-2013, 05:39 PM

Really? It's not about the fans winning it's about the best for Hibernian FC. Pats big enough to admit he can't take us further. You need to have a wee look at yourself as well.

Leishy1995
01-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Compare the way he has left, talking up our club to the sour taste left after Calderwood. He's a man who I guess only now understands how much we demand. Cheers for saving us from relegation, thanks for placing the foundations to build on.

.Sean.
01-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I wanted him out but I wish him every success in the future. Seems a very decent and dignified guy who thinks highly of the club and he leaves with my best wishes. He inherited an absolute shambles, a club in turmoil and he tried his very best. Very different feeling from when Coco the Clown was emptied. He was imposter and Fenlon most certainly wasn't. All the best, Pat.

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Can't wish a man good luck after he will be leaving us with nightmares for a long time to come.

Then why post on a good luck thread, there's plenty other threads where you can stick the boot in.

hibsbollah
01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
It was time for you to go, but you clearly cared and put the effort in. In amongst the disappointment we're all feeling about recent results and style of play, many Hibs fans appreciate you steadying the ship post 5-1, tightening our defence and improving the squad. I wish you well for the future.

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Agreed. I certainly enjoyed his tenure more than Calderwood and even Hughes, good luck Pat

bigwheel
01-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Wish him all the best . He cared , and he never shirked any of the challenges . Sad that it didn't work out for him. He has left us in a far stronger position than he picked up. All the best for the future Pat.

Peevemor
01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Wish him all the best . He cared , and he never shirked any of the challenges . Sad that it didn't work out for him. He has left us in a far stronger position than he picked up. All the best for the future Pat.

This.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-11-2013, 05:57 PM
All the best pat, although things didnt go your way, thank you for giving it your all and saving us from relegation two seasons ago. Wherever you may end up, I wish you the best of luck!

hibsbollah
01-11-2013, 05:57 PM
It was time for you to go, but you clearly cared and put the effort in. In amongst the disappointment we're all feeling about recent results and style of play, many Hibs fans appreciate you steadying the ship post 5-1, tightening our defence and improving the squad. I wish you well for the future.

Purehibee_MYB
01-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Good Luck Pat with the most sincerest hopes. I feel that he has been very unfortunate to be ousted at this point when he was on a good run until a few weeks ago, In my opinion it should have been in August after Malmo, Motherwell and the Derby then if it was going to happen this season.. Really worried that this season could be a write off indefinitely now, but just my opinion.

hibsbollah
01-11-2013, 06:01 PM
That interview was Hibs class.

BarneyK
01-11-2013, 06:06 PM
All the best, Pat. It just wisnae to be.

Bishop Hibee
01-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Good luck Pat. He should take a leaf out of Mixu's book and look at different coaching methods, clubs etc and come back to Management a better tactician.

Hedlund12
01-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Just a pity Pat couldn't eh?

So its our, The fans fault ? Behave yersel eh.

BH and HA no disrespect guys but don't you tire with the nature of your posts?

The mans done the decent thing and gone now.... what more do you want - blood? :confused:

h1bs4life
01-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Listended to his interview on the way home from work. Wanted him gone a while ago but you can't help but like the man. Very dignified , it didnt work out for you Pat but good luck in the future.

Leithenhibby
01-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Pat was always on a hiding to nothing when Calderwood was sacked. I believe that CC set us back years and years. That said, we accepted PF to be the man to take us forward and man, did he have his work cut out.

A nicer man you won't meet, and it wasn't all bad. When we dumped them out the cup last year it's fair to say we had a good night in the "morning glory"

You'll be fine Pat. Good luck.

OsloHibs
01-11-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm actually upset. Good Luck Pat, all the best. :aok:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Got upset watching this, he is an absolute gentlemen, just a shame things didnt work out. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJJjctHH6I#

neil7908
01-11-2013, 06:38 PM
I was quite impressed by his statement, fair play to him and I wish him luck wherever else he may end up. Be curious to see what he makes of the rest of his managerial career.

tamig
01-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Was willing PF to turn it around but it just wasn't going to happen. He leaves us with a very decent squad though. His interview on Radio Scotland was top class. What a great guy and he showed total respect for our club. I wish him all the very best for the future.

hibsbollah
01-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Got upset watching this, he is an absolute gentlemen, just a shame things didnt work out. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJJjctHH6I#

I agree with his assessment of the high points of his tenure. 'The madness' of the Falkirk semi and the Aberdeen semi stand out in the last two years. Strangely as well just a few weeks ago vs St Mirren was the best Hibs 90 minutes id seen for about 18 months and I thought we were finally heading somewhere at last.
Funny old game...

Swedish hibee
01-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Good Luck Pat. I'm sad it's ended like this. All the best.

MoscowHibs
01-11-2013, 06:47 PM

:agree:. Hear Hear.

jabis
01-11-2013, 06:47 PM
all the best Pat :aok:(not sarcastic)

Purehibee_MYB
01-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Anyone got a link to the interview?

Shields Hibee
01-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I always thought he was a nice genuine guy as a person but football is a results business and that was Pat's overall downfall. Shame it's not worked out for him as I genuinely believe he wanted to give us a trophy if he could have done so.

I agree that Falkirk semi was madness and my blood pressure must have been sky high by the end of full time in extra time. I said to my mates then had he not turned it round, he'd have been walking on the Monday.

We have been left with what is a decent squad & in all seriousness, I wish Pat well for the future.

eastterrace
01-11-2013, 07:06 PM
despite the obvious bad results under pat...we had some cracking ones as well

the away day at killie in the cup was brilliant

beating aberdeen at hampden was unexpected

cup tie against aberdeen with deigans 25 yarder was memorable

going unbeaten against the yams for the whole of last season...5 games!...thats never happened since the early seventies

beating celtic at e.r.

winning 4-0 at motherwell on a friday night...we looked like we were going places at that point

good laugh down in ayr sticks out as well

feel free to add your favourite memories...good luck pat.

think you will see alec mcleish only lost one derby when he was with us, its a shame how it ended but his record against that lot 2 wins in 10 also the 7-0 malmo and the 5-1 he will be remembered for these games.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-11-2013, 07:07 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJJjctHH6I#

staunchhibby
01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Good luck for the future You gave it your best but did not happen for you.

ManBearPig
01-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Totally agree sir

Purehibee_MYB
01-11-2013, 07:14 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJJjctHH6I#
:aok:

cleanyman
01-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Thank you Pat for your hard work. You steadied the ship and you have left us in a better position than when you first arrived.

Adniston Burn
01-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Good luck Pat and all the best for the future.

Jonnyboy
01-11-2013, 07:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJJjctHH6I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXKLs14yjDc5s7GJ1txkWxw

Good luck for the future Pat

VickMackie
01-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Hopefully he's laid the foundation of improving the culture at the club that someone else can build on.

All the best.

kaimendhibs
01-11-2013, 07:44 PM
I am glad Pat has walked away with dignity. Comes across as a really nice man who was out of his depth. Hope he has a successful future

Sent from my iphone

AlbertK86
01-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Good Luck Paddy.

Good Guy. Very likeable but style of football wasn't good enough.

Think the doing off them in cup final made him ultra cautious

Sure he'll get a decent job back in his homeland and hopefully he makes a success of it.

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2013, 07:51 PM
think you will see alec mcleish only lost one derby when he was with us, its a shame how it ended but his record against that lot 2 wins in 10 also the 7-0 malmo and the 5-1 he will be remembered for these games.He wasn't even to blame for the 5-1 so he wont be by me at least

IberianHibernian
01-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Excellent interview and I wish him all the best in the future . I was one of the 5% here who backed him before we started our good run of results in September and was still backing him after last 2 defeats and am really sorry to see him go. Am expecting results to be good whoever`s in charge in next few months though I can`t see many decent managers wanting to risk their reputations after seeing way recent managers have been treated by part of the support .

johnrebus
01-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Good grief, all this hand wringing is fair giving me the dry boak.

Whether PF is a nice guy, blah blah blah is completely irrelevant.

Give me a nasty ******* who can get his team playing decent football and winning the odd match, that's all I ask for.

:na na::na na:

PapillonVert
01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
I agree, mostly conducted himself with dignity, respected the club and presided over a major and overdue clearout of deadwood that I did appreciate. Had to go but isn't the whole problem I feel.
Good luck Pat

Good luck, Pat. You had a big burden to bear. Thanks for all your hard work. GGTTH

:flag:

Hibby D
01-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Good Luck Pat and all the best from me.

That was a dignified interview and leaves me more than a little sad it didn't work out for Pat and for Hibs.

hibee_nation
01-11-2013, 08:18 PM

Give me a nasty ******* who can get his team playing decent football and winning the odd match, that's all I ask for.

Not Hibs class i'm afraid.

HappyHibby93
01-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Shouldn't be forgotton what Fenlon achieved at Easter Road, completly changed the ethos around the club, a turned an absolute shambles of a club into a club with some good pros, however, i think it would be fair to say that he took the club as far as he could. Always gave 100%, shame it didn't work out.

All the best Paddy!

S4uzee
01-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Bit of class shown there by Pat, all the best for the future

sleeping giant
01-11-2013, 08:31 PM

That was a dignified interview and leaves me more than a little sad it didn't work out for Pat and for Hibs.

I completely agree. Found it sad to watch.

Craig_in_Prague
01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJJjctHH6I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXKLs14yjDc5s7GJ1txkWxw

Good luck for the future Pat

Cheers for your efforts Pat. You do have integrity and an admirable spirit.
I hope the club remains close to your heart and all the best personally and professionally in the future,
Sadly you will be remembered for the negative stuff but you done your best and acted in the clubs best interest by stepping aside, given us a platform to move forward both this season and beyond.

All the best Pat!

youngyno1
01-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all your hard work pat wish you all the best for the future

trev the hat
01-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Not seen interview, but I'll choose to remember Pat being dumbstruck SOL sheep semi Hampden SC acknowledging the East after herehavethecupback Spoony.
& St Pats plaque unveiling Cannongate.
Best wishes Pat

The Harp
01-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Good luck Pat. I'm sure you'll be back home and working again in management in no time. Sorry it didn't work out at Hibs. Thanks for all the effort you put in and the dignified manner of your departure.
All the best for the future.

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Can someone get this thread printed off or sent to him? Being serious btw. Hate that his final memory of his time at Hibs is the protest screaming for him to leave :-(

The_Todd
01-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Good luck Pat, hope he comes back as a spectator from time to time. You maybe didn't get it all right at Hibs but you didn't get it all wrong, either.

More than can be said for CC .

weecounty hibby
01-11-2013, 09:53 PM
I think he made the right decision. I have seen a lot of managers come and go but there was something about Pat that made me want him to succeed so much. Very disappointing that it never worked out. Thanks and good luck

Sir David Gray
01-11-2013, 09:53 PM
I am quite sad that he has gone and as someone who had never completely lost faith in him, I wish him all the best in his future career. It wasn't a surprise that he's left today but, in my opinion, some people on this board should feel ashamed of themselves as some of the personal abuse I have read that's been aimed towards Fenlon has been quite disgusting and totally unwarranted.

I won't be surprised if he's back in the game very shortly and he's a success at his next club. I believe that he is a man of great integrity and also a good man manager as well.

There's something rotten to the core at our club and changing the manager (again) will do nothing to improve our situation in the long term - people might start to realise that in the not too distant future.

Good luck, Pat. :aok:

Tollhouse Hibee
01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Good luck Pat in whatever you do next. It was a really good interview, and shows he actually cares about Hibernian. He has obviously realised the pressure he was under, and deep down realises that he has sorted the club out, brought in some decent players, but just does not have what it takes to raise the team to a top 3 or winning mentality.

Lets see what the next manager brings, hopefully unifying the support, and a more expansive style of football - also maybe a right back would be nice in January.

HibeeHendo
01-11-2013, 10:18 PM
The interview is Hibs class.

Hibernia&Alba
01-11-2013, 10:23 PM
I really hope he enjoys the rest of the career and is happy in whatever he does. I hold no personal animosity against him, it simply became clear it wasn't going to work. Good luck, wee man.

stoneyburn hibs
01-11-2013, 10:31 PM

I agree with your first two sentences, the next manager disney have to be nasty just let us see some fitba.

Speedy
01-11-2013, 10:54 PM
:top marks

All the best Pat, and well done for doing the right thing. I genuinely believe he is going because he thinks it's the best thing for the club.

Peevemor
01-11-2013, 11:10 PM
What a fantastic interview! I can't remember seeing any football manager giving such a balanced, honest assessment of his time in charge of a club while giving his sincere best wishes for the future.

Top man Pat. :aok:

Holmesdale Hibs
01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
I feel pretty gutted for him after seeing that. Decent guy that done his best, which is a lot more than we can say for his predecessor. It was the right time for him to move on but I wish him all the best. And fair play to him for being so gracious, many others would not have been.

Keeping in mind how pish we were when he took over, he also deserves a thanks. He built a good squad that should do well in the SPL. Onwards and upwards.

:flag:

RIP Bestie
01-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Not Hibs class i'm afraid.
I don't see how it's not Hibs class. Johnrebus is making a valid point that there is a culture at Hibs that we have become a soft touch. That has to change. I agree that Pat Fenlon has improved us in the two years he has been here in comparison to where Calderwood was taking us. He never slagged Fenlon off but made the point that the gushing towards him was over the top. Most Hibs fans wanted a change in manager at this stage. It doesn't mean johnrebus is any less a Hibee cos he doesn't feel sorry that Pat has taken us as far as he can and simply had to go.

Captain Trips
01-11-2013, 11:44 PM
I was no fan of him as a manager however I know he gave it his best and his best fell short. All we can ask is for the manager to do best and he did, good luck.

IberianHibernian
02-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Good luck Pat, hope he comes back as a spectator from time to time. You maybe didn't get it all right at Hibs but you didn't get it all wrong, either.

More than can be said for CC .Why single out CC ? Turnbull`s team was relegated and Mowbray`s blew it in all semis just to mention 2 supposedly successful Hibs managers . Would love to see him back at Hibs some time but not as a spectator ( I`d imagine he`d rightly consider invite condescending ) but maybe as manager again or as general manager in a few years`time .

Gerard
02-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Why single out CC ? Turnbull`s team was relegated and Mowbray`s blew it in all semis just to mention 2 supposedly successful Hibs managers . Would love to see him back at Hibs some time but not as a spectator ( I`d imagine he`d rightly consider invite condescending ) but maybe as manager again or as general manager in a few years`time .

Good luck Mr Fenlon. Thanks for doing your best for Hibs

Islington Hibs
02-11-2013, 07:27 AM
It is ironic that we have got what we wished for and in the moment such sentimentality from the support.

Of course I wish Pat well and we will never know if it was the right thing now or not that he has gone. What he has done is leave a stronger squad than he inherited. My concern is that the underlying defeatist culture at the club remains. The problems lie higher than Pat, in my view. Good luck to him.

James70
02-11-2013, 08:09 AM
What I find so sad is the fact that he cared so much for the club and put in a lot of very hard work without being able to produce the goods on the park which is the only bit the supporters get to see and, quite frankly, are bothered about.

Thanks for all your efforts Pat and all the best for the future.

Sammy7nil
02-11-2013, 08:14 AM

totally agree good luck Pat

calmac12000
02-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Thought PF conducted himself with the utmost dignity and decorum, but as has already been said decency etc. does not necessarily translate to being an effective manager. If our recent track record with managers shows anything it shows that it would be sheer folly to rush in to appoint a new manager. If Petrie has not already lost credibility totally, then he is very much in the last chance saloon. There is absolutely no need to rush as I'm sure Jimmy Nichol can do a reasonable job as caretaker, till we appoint safety net, a new manager. Fortunately, we are safe in the league and even if we were to go on a disastrous run, we've always got the Hertz, as they are doomed to meet their big cousins next year in whatever they call the First Division now. Its absolutely vital we take our time and appoint a manager for the long tern who'll rid us of the dead wood and lack of character in our squad. Its no point getting a new manager if we're not willing to give him time, so we the supporters must show patience (again!).
Finally, I'll once again wish Pat all the best in the future.

rcarter1
02-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Thought PF conducted himself with the utmost dignity and decorum, but as has already been said decency etc. does not necessarily translate to being an effective manager. If our recent track record with managers shows anything it shows that it would be sheer folly to rush in to appoint a new manager. If Petrie has not already lost credibility totally, then he is very much in the last chance saloon. There is absolutely no need to rush as I'm sure Jimmy Nichol can do a reasonable job as caretaker, till we appoint safety net, a new manager. Fortunately, we are safe in the league and even if we were to go on a disastrous run, we've always got the Hertz, as they are doomed to meet their big cousins next year in whatever they call the First Division now. Its absolutely vital we take our time and appoint a manager for the long tern who'll rid us of the dead wood and lack of character in our squad. Its no point getting a new manager if we're not willing to give him time, so we the supporters must show patience (again!).
Finally, I'll once again wish Pat all the best in the future.

this. no rush - get it right!!!!

Brizo
02-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Pat could have sat it out till he got the tin tack and guaranteed a compensation for loss of office or sat it out until his contract ran out. In the money grabbing self serving world of fitba for him to walk shows the mark of the man.

A thoroughly decent guy who has shown a level of honesty and dignity generally missing from the game.

It didnt work out for him and he has made the right decision but he leaves with a lot of respect and my best wishes.

Hedlund12
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
It is ironic that we have got what we wished for and in the moment such sentimentality from the support.

Of course I wish Pat well and we will never know if it was the right thing now or not that he has gone. What he has done is leave a stronger squad than he inherited. My concern is that the underlying defeatist culture at the club remains. The problems lie higher than Pat, in my view. Good luck to him.

Excellent post (IMO)

Couldn't agree more with your comments about defeatist culture. Hibs squad need to have belief in them selves and want it more. Sadly for me something our city rivals have in abundance.

Pat touched on negativity at the club in his interview, whilst he was dignified to the end and didn't have a pop at (some of) the supporters IMO he'd been well with in his rights to do so. Just another measure of what a decent guy he is and the respect he has for the club. Shame really that (some of) the support couldn't have treated Pat with the respect he deserves.

Lastly I can't wait to see what happens from here - something tells me it will be evident before long that Pat leaving wont be the answer to all!!

And..... I'll say it again all the best Pat and thanks for the good things you achieved.

cabbageandribs1875
02-11-2013, 09:51 AM
admin have tried to wipe out all memory of PF by getting shot of his smilie :giruy: 'kin booooooooooooooooo :greengrin