PDA

View Full Version : A chance to make strides as a club - have we blown it?

patlowe
01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
5-1 was brutal. 3-0 against Celtic was bad. 9-0 against Malmo was embarrassing. However, I would suggest that the two results against Hearts surpass those in terms of sheer disappointment for our support and faith in where our club is going.

What an opportunity Hibs have at this moment in time. Financially sound, infrastructure complete, Rangers out the league and last, but not least, our rivals at their lowest ebb and on their knees. This is the season where all our financial and structural advantages over other clubs (bar Celtic) should finally have come to fruition. We signed almost an entire new team - we spent money on a striker! We talk about false expectations but IMO Hibs fans had the right to EXPECT this season.

We are no better than we were last year, no better at all. We are bottom six in a league missing Rangers and effectively missing Hearts. We rarely create chances, and when we do it's almost always a result of stuffy, percentage football, not the creative, attractive football we all yearn for. We do not score goals. We've played twice against a Hearts youth team and only looked like scoring for about 20 minutes. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen Hibs beat the opposition comfortably in recent years. Every game is a long, hard slog. The players aren't bad per se, in fact some of them are average to decent, but they are certainly not a group that are going to get me in any way excited about going to Easter Road.

Apologies for the negativity folks, I would prefer to be positive believe me, but I can't help feel we are in the process of missing a once in god-knows how long opportunity to really advance as a club and leave the also-rans of this league in our wake. This is (was) our chance to regain a sense of dignity in our club, be it tangible success, a reintroduction of an attractive style of football, or at the very least a period of domination in results over our broken chums from over the road. Alas, this chance is quickly passing us by; maybe it already has.

The Voice Of Reason
01-11-2013, 01:14 PM
5-1 was brutal. 3-0 against Celtic was bad. 9-0 against Malmo was embarrassing. However, I would suggest that the two results against Hearts surpass those in terms of sheer disappointment for our support and faith in where our club is going.

What an opportunity Hibs have at this moment in time. Financially sound, infrastructure complete, Rangers out the league and last, but not least, our rivals at their lowest ebb and on their knees. This is the season where all our financial and structural advantages over other clubs (bar Celtic) should finally have come to fruition. We signed almost an entire new team - we spent money on a striker! We talk about false expectations but IMO Hibs fans had the right to EXPECT this season.

We are no better than we were last year, no better at all. We are bottom six in a league missing Rangers and effectively missing Hearts. We rarely create chances, and when we do it's almost always a result of stuffy, percentage football, not the creative, attractive football we all yearn for. We do not score goals. We've played twice against a Hearts youth team and only looked like scoring for about 20 minutes. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen Hibs beat the opposition comfortably in recent years. Every game is a long, hard slog. The players aren't bad per se, in fact some of them are average to decent, but they are certainly not a group that are going to get me in any way excited about going to Easter Road.

Apologies for the negativity folks, I would prefer to be positive believe me, but I can't help feel we are in the process of missing a once in god-knows how long opportunity to really advance as a club and leave the also-rans of this league in our wake. This is (was) our chance to regain a sense of dignity in our club, be it tangible success, a reintroduction of an attractive style of football, or at the very least a period of domination in results over our broken chums from over the road. Alas, this chance is quickly passing us by; maybe it already has.

Have we blown it ? YES, BIG TIME.

silverhibee
01-11-2013, 01:15 PM

That was my answer too. :greengrin

Spike Mandela
01-11-2013, 01:16 PM

:top marks Pretty much sums up how I feel except I take issue with the notion we have decent players. I think we are severely lacking in star quality and are pretty much where we deserve to be in the league although we could finish lower. We've blown it.

The Voice Of Reason
01-11-2013, 01:17 PM
That was my answer too. :greengrin

If you're not fast (a statement that certainly applies to the Hibs players!) you're last son ! :greengrin

Just_Jimmy
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Asolutely. In fact worse, we've succeed in driving more of the support away and giving the mutants yet more ammunition to beat us with.

GreenCastle
01-11-2013, 01:27 PM

:top marks

This is what is disappointing me the most right now - missing the opportunity - not just missing it - failing pretty badly at it.

We are in the situation where we will look back on these message boards in years to come about the time the league and 2 of our main competitors were weak.

If we had played well for 90 mins and lost a wonder goal then fine-but the fact was it was 25 mins of good play followed by no Plan B and 2nd half we rarely created - as I said on another post 180 plus minutes of not scoring against basically a reserve team.

We say it's the Hibs way or things are improving - but this Hibs way nonsense is glass half empty club -why can't we be a glass half full club and seize these opportunities. The reason being mainly down to 3 key figures - Fenlon - RP and STF.

I believe the myth about the squad being good is over rated - we don't have a proper right back - no creative midfielder or wingers and except Heff who fell on our lap a goal scorer who is reliable - without these you will struggle with an unbalanced team!

We are losing supporters when really we should be becoming dominant in the league and Edinburgh - it's really farcical.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Come on, it wont be long now. Have a little patience the infrastructure is there, we will kick on any minute. :faf:

flash
01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Come on, it wont be long now. Have a little patience the infrastructure is there, we will kick on any minute. :faf:

We could if, and its a massive if, the right appointment was made.

Saorsa
Come on, it wont be long now. Have a little patience the infrastructure is there, we will kick on any minute. :faf:In the meantime carry on regardless and just accept whatever ***** Petrie deems tae be acceptable. Dinnae do anything, dinnae say anything, just get on with it.

SneakersO'Toole
Excellent thread. Couldn't agree more with the OP.

What else can you say except only Hibs...

Keith_M
01-11-2013, 01:39 PM
A chance to make strides as a club - have we blown it?

Sadly, I believe we have, yes.

No Rangers and a crippled Hearts, yet we're still struggling along hoping to get a top six finish, while enduring tedium with endless excuses from the manager and players.

smurf
01-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Outstanding OP. Sadly all so true...

lord bunberry
01-11-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't think it's to late to turn things around this season, if fenlon is punted now and a new man brought in we are still close enough to second place to mount a challenge.

SneakersO'Toole
01-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Also putting aside the immense hurt from losing to Hearts AGAIN on Wednesday, what a chance we have blown to win the League cup this season! This fact has almost been forgotten amongst the embarrassment and pain.

Aldo
01-11-2013, 01:58 PM

G any minute Ha ha yur forgetting bout this 5 year plan that was mentioned?

pacorosssco
01-11-2013, 02:03 PM
:top marks

HibeeHendo
01-11-2013, 02:11 PM
If we get beat off Motherwell on Sunday does anyone think he'll even get the boot?

basehibby
01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Excellent point well made by the OP - it's immensely frustrating because we probably have the second best budget in the league along with Aberdeen right now - the opportunity is there but it's being allowed to just slip away.

Sevco will be in the SPL all too soon and all of a sudden just getting 2nd place will be an almighty challenge once again just like it was before their forebears disappeared off the face of the earth. This season we have the extra bonus of our previously spendthrift neighbours teetering on the brink of self-destruction and, so far we have done a very good job of lying down and letting them shaft us when we should be sticking the boot in hard!

GreenCastle
01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
If we get beat off Motherwell on Sunday does anyone think he'll even get the boot?

We shouldn't even be asking that question - the guy should have gone yesterday so someone else could prepare the team for Sunday and try and rescue our season.

Scouse Hibee
01-11-2013, 02:25 PM
No, we're only one result away from blind optimism.

Paisley Hibby
01-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Agree with most of this. However, losing 0-7 at Easter Road to a middlin Swedish side has to be the lowest point for me. That and the moment I realised Fenlon wasn't going to be sacked for that result.

Craig_in_Prague
01-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I don't think it's to late to turn things around this season, if fenlon is punted now and a new man brought in we are still close enough to second place to mount a challenge.

Not overly bothered about 2nd or even 3rd,
But, maybe
1, better positive football
2. More home wins and entertainment
3, SC still there
4, Build momentum for next season, clearer style of play
5, add a bit pace in January and a wide player

It would not take a whole lot imo to get things going in the right direction

sadtom
01-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Absolutely agree with nearly every point.
A fantastic opporchancity and despite having having an advantage in size, infrastructure, cash than the vast majority of our peers we've f***ed up sensationally.
I would say this (potentially once in a lifetime) chance has already passed us by. In fact the chance is so far gone its a dot on the horizon.
The blame can be laid squarely at the door of the clubs custodians who have shown zero nous, bottle or ambition.

Pack yer bags.

Keith_M
01-11-2013, 02:52 PM
No, we're only one result away from blind optimism.

Funilly enough, after the Aberdeen game, somebody tried to defend Fenlon by saying he had taken us to within one game of the LC Semi-Final.

It wasn't you was it?

lord bunberry
01-11-2013, 02:53 PM
But, maybe
3, SC still there

It would not take a whole lot imo to get things going in the right direction

I agree with all of that, but it must start with the appointment of a new manager.

Craig_in_Prague
01-11-2013, 02:58 PM
I agree with all of that, but it must start with the appointment of a new manager.

agreed, that it was i hope the NEW guy will achieve! :-)))))

ehf
01-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Also putting aside the immense hurt from losing to Hearts AGAIN on Wednesday, what a chance we have blown to win the League cup this season! This fact has almost been forgotten amongst the embarrassment and pain.

Also the fact that we have lost the revenue that just being in the semi-final would bring and gifted it to the yams. Must be worth at least £200K - enough to recoup what we paid for Collins/enough to keep the yams going for another couple of months:grr:

monktonharp
01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
But, maybe
3, SC still there

It would not take a whole lot imo to get things going in the right directionall very well for you to say, as you sit in your ivory tower in Prague:wink: I now demand a victory on 2nd Jan, stunningly I might add. and , with our new manager( whoever is handed the chalise) I expect at least 3rd position approaching the play offs, with 2nd secured one week before the close of season and use the last game to rest regulars for Celtic park, winning the cup on the ground that we last one it in 1902! there, I've said it.

sesoim
01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
We've missed one chance to finish 2nd, and our second chance is starting to fade. But if we make a good appointment, we could easily finish 2nd next season and win a Cup. Look how quickly things took off under Mowbray. But, yes, we have wasted a few years now - we should be firmly established as one of the "best of the rest" outside the Old Firm, and we should be hammering Hearts on a regular basis to improve the horrible record we have against them.

And lets face it, once Rangers are back and Hearts are sorted, we will probably never have another decent chance to finish as high as 2nd. A big chance has gone, and I blame Petrie and his appointments.

Largshibby
01-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Great post but I don't think its too late. Rangers won't be back for a couple of years yet and Hearts are doomed for probably 3 or more. Even when they're in the top division I don't think they will be much better than we are now (Hearts especially) and they will both bring big crowds with them which will help make us financially stronger to push on.

AlbertK86
01-11-2013, 08:02 PM
We've missed one chance to finish 2nd, and our second chance is starting to fade. But if we make a good appointment, we could easily finish 2nd next season and win a Cup. Look how quickly things took off under Mowbray. But, yes, we have wasted a few years now - we should be firmly established as one of the "best of the rest" outside the Old Firm, and we should be hammering Hearts on a regular basis to improve the horrible record we have against them.

And lets face it, once Rangers are back and Hearts are sorted, we will probably never have another decent chance to finish as high as 2nd. A big chance has gone, and I blame Petrie and his appointments.

Are you for real ?

We are only five points of second with 27 games to go for christ's sake !

Get the right man in and playing the right blend of players we can still get 2nd place this season

Believe

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Are you for real ?

We are only five points of second with 27 games to go for christ's sake !

Get the right man in and playing the right blend of players we can still get 2nd place this season

Believe

GGTTH

Maybe its just me, but how are this lot going to suddenly start creating chances? We are a back 4 and 2 wide men and a forward away from challenging for 2nd spot in my opinion.

Shields Hibee
01-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Some people will say reaching back to back cup finals & finishing what was in terms of points last season, a top 6 position is progress after having the previous 2 seasons of relegation scraps. We then though had the Malmo debacle and I knew then Fenlon would be under pressure when the league campaign began if results went against us.

We have excellent training facilities, a ground which is being used for internationals time to time & semis of LC and the Ramsdens final along with the u20s and EOS teams doing well. On that front, we look decent.

If we get the right man who can get the squad playing to its potential, have sufficient time before the Jan window to establish what he needs to push us on & get those players in, we could still make 2nd but we would need Well, Sheep & Inverness to drop a large number of points and us put a good run of wins behind us to achieve this, as at best, 4th or 5th is probably more realistic.

I think Hearts will take some time to recover & Rangers are probably still 2 years away from making a SPL return unless they hit more money troubles. I'd say now that this season top 6 has to be the aim along with another SC run. Next season, we go for broke and push for 2nd, this club shouldn't be behind the likes of Well and Inverness who are small clubs in comparison. All this though is dependent on who is appointed our next manager and RP being prepared to back that person in the transfer market.

Moon unit
02-11-2013, 06:33 AM

Not negative Pat,a very honest assessment of all the issues witnessed at ER in recent times.
first and foremost,the new Guy needs to get the Buzz back!..fans will flock back if they see attacking football.We are able to take some defeats along the way if there is genuine flair and effort on display!