PDA

View Full Version : Fenlons duds

Last Minute
31-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Let's see how many players this guy has signed since he has been here who are duds and should never wear a Hibs shirt . I'll start with vine. A disgrace to the famous number 9 shirt

WestEndHibee
31-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Let's see how many players this guy has signed since he has been here who are duds and should never wear a Hibs shirt . I'll start with vine. A disgrace to the famous number 9 shirt

Claros, what a shocker of a player should never ever play in a hibs shirt again, fearful, timid, shocking first touch, no fight, doesn't care. Fenlon is Useless.

(fast forward 6 months)

Claros, what a player, deserves man of the match most games, never gives up, so much fight...

SteveHFC
31-10-2013, 07:14 PM
http://irishnewsreview.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/doh.jpg

SaulGoodman
31-10-2013, 07:17 PM
http://irishnewsreview.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/doh.jpg

Who's that?

SteveHFC
31-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Who's that?

The Famous Matt Doherty :aok:

TRC
31-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Kuqi Soares done

Liams
31-10-2013, 07:22 PM
I feel fenlon had made more decent signing than duds, claros turned good robertson turned good, maybury is a helpful squad player.. However of the top of my head...

Kuqi - too old
Kajabi
Clancy - only based on injury prone
Docherty
Vine
Deegan after his jaw got broke

Perhaps re signing of oconnor and sproul ( are they cc signings) cause my views have changed on them now.

One thing his signings do take a long time to gel: griffis, claros, robertson, doyle

hibbymick
31-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I feel fenlon had made more decent signing than duds, claros turned good robertson turned good, maybury is a helpful squad player.. However of the top of my head...

Kuqi - too old
Kajabi
Clancy - only based on injury prone
Docherty
Vine
Deegan after his jaw got broke

Perhaps re signing of oconnor and sproul ( are they cc signings) cause my views have changed on them now.

One thing his signings do take a long time to gel: griffis, claros, robertson, doyle

was kujabi no signed by hughes ??

Andy74
31-10-2013, 07:29 PM

Probably far less on average than most of our recent managers.

Mowbray had a range of shockers too so he's included in that.

Bostonhibby
31-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Hard one as some of the "duds" are players that were doing okay elsewhere and were generally welcomed here as being a positive move. I think we need to look at what happens to them all when they do arrive.

For me its how we set ourselves up/use/motivate the players. We do seem to persist with something that ain't right for a long time - failure to address the key full back positions, our use or misuse of Lewis, no real winger for a long time, erratic introduction of youngsters - they are in then they're not - are they any better than the duds at first team level - how will we know? ...............Did we manage Sean Welsh situation properly?

What happens at East Mains? I could go on but no one is really accountable to the fans so am starting to wonder what the point is when we have an ownership structure that is not capable of any meaningful challenge and seems content to avoid relegation and balance the books in line with whatever our turnover is irrespective of the product on the pitch.

Pete
31-10-2013, 07:30 PM
What's the point?

Beefster
31-10-2013, 07:30 PM
I know Doherty is a tit but he wasn't actually that bad a player for us.

Francombe on the other hand...

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Kujabi
Doherty
Saores
Done
Francombe???
Kuqi
O'donovan
Deegan
Vine

Theres probably a few more...

hibbymick
31-10-2013, 07:46 PM
My memory is worse than i thought, Kujabi defo a Fenlon signing. Ah well heres a wee clip of the great man.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU92bJdIROM

J-C
31-10-2013, 07:49 PM
It was the shot by Kujabi that nearly hit the corner flag that was a clue to how good he wasn't

Albion Hibs
31-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Let's make this thread a little easier. In his entire time at hibs what decent players has he signed...says it all for me.

Bostonhibby
31-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Let's make this thread a little easier. In his entire time at hibs what decent players has he signed...says it all for me.

Williams, McGivern, Heffernan, Many were clamouring for Thomson, OTJ was a very good player at Inverness, Craig the same as St Johnstone. Suppose I am going back to my point about what we do with them when we get them..................

ScottB
31-10-2013, 08:37 PM

I think he's had quite a few to be honest.

Williams, Nelson, Thomson, Heff, resigning Griffiths on loan, Doyle wasn't bad etc.

Transfer wise he's probably done the best of our recent crop of managers.

Albion Hibs
31-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Williams, McGivern, Heffernan, Many were clamouring for Thomson, OTJ was a very good player at Inverness, Craig the same as St Johnstone. Suppose I am going back to my point about what we do with them when we get them..................

williams yes, craig yes and heffernan maybe. Thomson will have been a rod signing. That's not a good return out of the number that have come and gone...tbh I have no idea how many that is!

I think he's had quite a few to be honest.

Williams, Nelson, Thomson, Heff, resigning Griffiths on loan, Doyle wasn't bad etc.

Transfer wise he's probably done the best of our recent crop of managers.

i would say the likes of Hughes and even calderwood has been better. Griffiths was a calderwood signing, resigning can't count for me.

IMO his transfers / ability to spot a player is terrible.

Bostonhibby
31-10-2013, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=Albion Hibs;3788135]williams yes, craig yes and heffernan maybe. Thomson will have been a rod signing. That's not a good return out of the number that have come and gone...tbh I have no idea how many that is!

Won't be arguing much with you, I did like his intial emptyings out though, mind you 99% of us on here knew who had to go and why as well so that doesn't make a manager. FWIW I have moved into the please go camp..........................

Albion Hibs
31-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Won't be arguing much with you, I did like his intial emptyings out though, mind you 99% of us on here knew who had to go and why as well so that doesn't make a manager. FWIW I have moved into the please go camp..........................

What at worries me is if Danny Galbraith or agogo were still at the club they would have been on the pitch last night.

ScottB
31-10-2013, 09:05 PM
i would say the likes of Hughes and even calderwood has been better. Griffiths was a calderwood signing, resigning can't count for me.
Mc
IMO his transfers / ability to spot a player is terrible.

Griffiths was pretty rubbish under Calderclown, Fenlon definitely helped turn him around and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

Williams is by far the best keeper we've had in years, McPake was great when he was still fit, Nelson seems a solid defender, McGivern is good, Robertson, Craig and OTJ should, in theory at least, come good. Claros was top notch, Thomson obviously, Maybury seems to have had a positive impact at the club as a whole...

I'd say overall he has a higher standard of signing than Hughes or Calderwood had by some distance.

Bostonhibby
31-10-2013, 09:09 PM
What at worries me is if Danny Galbraith or agogo were still at the club they would have been on the pitch last night.

Well, any good groundsman will tell you that you that its important to get out there at half time and put all the divots back in, someone has to do it.

Paisley Hibby
31-10-2013, 09:13 PM

Shoud the heading of this thread not be Fenlon's a dud?

NadeAteMyLunch!
31-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Fenlon has made some good signings. He's brought in some experienced spl players-something we were all crying out for. He signed our best keeper for a decade. Every manager gets a few wrong. Certainly every Hibs manager in my lifetime has. We'll be criticising Fenlon's choice of specs soon

The Voice Of Reason
31-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Fenlon has made some good signings. He's brought in some experienced spl players-something we were all crying out for. He signed our best keeper for a decade. Every manager gets a few wrong. Certainly every Hibs manager in my lifetime has. We'll be criticising Fenlon's choice of specs soon

Ok then Pat, thanks for that !!!!!

jodjam
31-10-2013, 09:16 PM

What nonsense. At least if you are having a go at someone then quote facts/stats to back it up. To speculate about who might have played is pointless

Albion Hibs
31-10-2013, 09:25 PM
What nonsense. At least if you are having a go at someone then quote facts/stats to back it up. To speculate about who might have played is pointless

you are missing the point, they would have added something to what was on the pitch.

NadeAteMyLunch!
31-10-2013, 09:30 PM
What have I said that's incorrect?? I'm not defending his tactics(lack of), last night or anything else! I'm saying that I don't think his signings should be another stick to beat him with!! We all still cream ourselves over Mowbray and Collins and both brought in plenty duds!! Fenlon is not using his signings nearly well enough but to suggest he's only signed duds is nonsense

Albion Hibs
31-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Griffiths was pretty rubbish under Calderclown, Fenlon definitely helped turn him around and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

Williams is by far the best keeper we've had in years, McPake was great when he was still fit, Nelson seems a solid defender, McGivern is good, Robertson, Craig and OTJ should, in theory at least, come good. Claros was top notch, Thomson obviously, Maybury seems to have had a positive impact at the club as a whole...

I'd say overall he has a higher standard of signing than Hughes or Calderwood had by some distance.

Happily agree to disagree, far too many "was", "should" and "seems" in there for me.

There is no doubt about about Williams, but I don't think McPake has ever been a player.

NadeAteMyLunch!
31-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Collins was scoring 4 in a game against EPL opponents last season, Vine ripped us to shreds last season and scored some good goals. Utterly depressing that both could still be playing now and they still wouldn't have scored against Hearts. I have no idea how players seem to go so downhill after signing for us

Stevie Reid
01-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Doyle wasn't bad

Doyle was a good player, and someone whom I think we really miss. He had excellent movement, and would have pulled the Hearts back four all over the place the other night, IMO.

Smartie
01-11-2013, 11:08 AM
The one thing that I don't think we can criticise Pat for is his record in the transfer market. Sure he's signed some duds but that's true of all managers. I remember seeing a "Fergie's worst XI" from his Man Utd signings and they were truly honking. If a new manager came in tomorrow, there's not one player we have at the moment that I would say is not good enough (in a sensible formation with the right type of player around him) to play for us. Ok, maybe Vine, but I'd at least give him a chance given it's early days for him and he's been ok at previous clubs. Contrast that to when Calderwood left when I genuinely wondered who the next poor soul would keep.

Tactical knowledge, reading a game and use of subs, attacking intent (or lack of) in most games, instilling the importance of self-discipline at key times in key matches, getting squad together for start of season and not start of September - just off the top of my head, these are the reasons he needs punted, and now. He's certainly not going to learn these skills on the job.

Interesting to read odds and ends about JC over the last few days. Now his transfer record was truly dreadful, but he was immense at all of the above.

If we could amalgamate all of the strengths of JC and PF, we'd have a magnificent manager on our hands.

Amalgamate all their weaknesses though and we'd have somebody who could give Jim Duffy a run for his money.

steviehibsleith
01-11-2013, 11:16 AM
In general I don't believe he his signings are bad the issue for me is does he ever look at balance. The biggest example is why the bell are we playing a totally left footed player at right back . Liam Craig is not a winger he's a attacking center mid , letting Clarosand Griff go and replacing with Collins vine Tudor Jones Robertson. Why bring in 2 strikers and 2 midfielders who at best have done average when griff was banginging them in and Claros was becoming a bloody good midfielder

flash
01-11-2013, 11:20 AM

Absolutely. It's becoming hard to be on the same side as some of the morons on this site.

truehibernian
01-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Had Pat gor a pacy creative midfielder and two fast wide men, then we'd maybe see Collins and Vine scoring - or not playing at all, who knows.

Pat simply missed a trick in not getting players he was after, and that is also down to the Board being miserly at the wrong time.

If the likes of 'Well can source Ojamma, Humphrey and nurture Murphy, and Aberdeen can retain McGinn, Hayes and sign Wylde, and Dundee Utd see the need for GMS and pace, ICT with Doran, Shinnie and McKay - then why have Hibernian been so slow and utterly redundant in signing players that offer blistering pace and trickery out wide and through the middle ?

It is, for me, beyond embarrassing - there is no 'entertainment'. The first game of the season I noticed that Harris was already 'doubled up' on because of his ability and folk were now aware of him - he was having a mare of a game, but we still persisted with getting the ball to him as often as possible as there was no other outlet on the other flank or through the middle - a team cannot rely soley on one pacy player - it has to have 4 or 5 across the park.

Pat has signed decent players, no doubt - but by God he has avoided signing what this side desperately needs and that is pace up top and wide - which is the nail in his managerial coffin for me.

greenlex
01-11-2013, 11:32 AM
What is the point of this? Every manager signs players that are poor. Jeezus pass the razor blades.

Brightside
01-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Mcpake has never been great.

Brightside
01-11-2013, 11:39 AM
What is the point of this? Every manager signs players that are poor. Jeezus pass the razor blades.

Vine can give you some. :aok:

millarco
01-11-2013, 11:46 AM
For me you can only review his signings in the context of the squad as a whole.

Goalkeeper: No major problems with Williams, has issues with crossballs but best we're likely to get. Murdoch is a benchwarmer.
RB: Clancy is an average centre-half and always injured, Stevenson is a left-footed midfielder played out of position, Maybury is a coach, and the less said about Mullen the better.
LB: McGivern is ok, needs to hit the by-line more for me but should be decent enough. Tendancy to go long too often, but maybe a problem with what's in front of him.
CB: McPake and Nelson can generally do the basics OK, but we'll never build from the back with them in the team. Also prone to regular mistakes, and Nelson is a bad age. Hanlon always prone to an error a game, despite playing well the rest of the 90.
Midfield: Completely inbalanced. All CMs, no width, creativity or pace (Harris aside, potentially). Evident on Wednesday-we couldn't get in behind them-Craig and Robertson can't beat a man so we're left with a slow, laboured build-up which usually breaks down through a lack of idea/movement. Thomson, Taiwo, Robertson and Tudor-Jones all decent enough on paper, but haven't shown it enough when it matters. Cairney started well but faded badly, and again is one-paced. Had high hopes for Zoubir, but he seems to be another one that plays in front of defenders and doesn't look to get in behind. Not sure if he's better out wide/central, or impact/starting.
Strikers: No great strength, pace, power. Collins and Heff seem fairly similar in terms of decent link up play and potentially penalty-box strikers, but we don't create chances for them. Vine has no redeeming features.
Youngsters: IMO Harris and Forster have shown potential. I've not seen anything from Handling or Caldwell to suggest they'll be good players at this level, and Stanton has only made fleeting appearances.

The main problem for me is that we don't seem to have a plan A for winning games. Seems to be a case of holding tight and grinding out a point or three if an opportunity presents itself, rather than having a game plan to go out and win it. The team looks like a collection of individuals chucked into a formation and told to go out and play, with little thought for tactics, and that is reflected in the composition of an inbalanced squad. Poor full-backs, no wingers, no pace, no creativity. IMO Fenlon has failed on the signings front by not building a squad capable of regularly winning games through anything other than luck and hard work. His signings on paper have seemed reasonable enough, but we've still been brutal. Mowbray was right when he said we'd win more than we'd lose by playing the way we were playing back then. The way we are just now, our success is based on luck and capitalising on our rare chances. No different to last season, where we got the ball close to Griffiths and hoped that he could do something.

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Can I appose this pathetic and useless circle jerk over how had his signings have been and complement him for his good ones?

James McPake
Leigh Griffiths
Ben Williams
Tom Taiwo
Scott Robertson
Jorge Claros
Alan Maybury
Eoin Doyle
Paul Heffernan
Kevin Thomson
Michael Nelson

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Mcpake has never been great.Blatant lie.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Collins was scoring 4 in a game against EPL opponents last season, Vine ripped us to shreds last season and scored some good goals. Utterly depressing that both could still be playing now and they still wouldn't have scored against Hearts. I have no idea how players seem to go so downhill after signing for us

A clear sign our back 4 are pish, each and every one of them. :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
A clear sign our back 4 are pish, each and every one of them. :rolleyes:Not really, he also scored against Celtic, are they pish too?

Brightside
01-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Blatant lie.

Its not. He was average when we first got him and he's been a bomb scare for a long time.

Killiehibbie
01-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Even the best players will look bad when played in the wrong position or in a team that's set up all wrong.

MWHIBBIES
Its not. He was average when we first got him and he's been a bomb scare for a long time.Not really, he was brilliant when we signed him and has had good and bad games since.

blackpoolhibs
Not really, he also scored against Celtic, are they pish too?

No, he just got lucky that day. :wink:

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
No, he just got lucky that day. :wink::greengrin
But still, your logic is pretty rubbish, any player can score against any team on any day, fairly sure Nicklas Bendtner and Shola Ameobi have score against Barcelona.

Fergus52
01-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Good one

Aldo
01-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Had Pat gor a pacy creative midfielder and two fast wide men, then we'd maybe see Collins and Vine scoring - or not playing at all, who knows. Pat simply missed a trick in not getting players he was after, and that is also down to the Board being miserly at the wrong time. If the likes of 'Well can source Ojamma, Humphrey and nurture Murphy, and Aberdeen can retain McGinn, Hayes and sign Wylde, and Dundee Utd see the need for GMS and pace, ICT with Doran, Shinnie and McKay - then why have Hibernian been so slow and utterly redundant in signing players that offer blistering pace and trickery out wide and through the middle ? It is, for me, beyond embarrassing - there is no 'entertainment'. The first game of the season I noticed that Harris was already 'doubled up' on because of his ability and folk were now aware of him - he was having a mare of a game, but we still persisted with getting the ball to him as often as possible as there was no other outlet on the other flank or through the middle - a team cannot rely soley on one pacy player - it has to have 4 or 5 across the park. Pat has signed decent players, no doubt - but by God he has avoided signing what this side desperately needs and that is pace up top and wide - which is the nail in his managerial coffin for me.

Good post and I'll give you the decent players but they've all been the same or similar type of player. He relied on Harris doing the business this season and when he got injured Plan A was screwed and he had no Plan B etc

Zoubir is not a winger in my books more of an ACM and lacks the pace to get to byline etc.

The new man (that's if there is a new man before the end of the season) will have to address these areas and sharpish.

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2013, 02:15 PM
What at worries me is if Danny Galbraith or agogo were still at the club they would have been on the pitch last night.Probably not considering Fenlon got rid of them

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
:greengrin
But still, your logic is pretty rubbish, any player can score against any team on any day, fairly sure Nicklas Bendtner and Shola Ameobi have score against Barcelona.

I know, just a little fed up of us signing duds. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
01-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Fenlon is the DUD