PDA

View Full Version : Abuse of our players

GreenArmy1875
31-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Tin hat on......

Some of the abuse i have seen from Hibs fan makes me feel sick. These are human beings who may not be performing to our standards but are still human beings with families. I understand our frustration and i am one who is upset at how our team is playing but targeting players and giving them direct abuse over Twitter etc is not on. This can cause all sorts of bother for our players like depression and the knock on effect it has on their families. Mcpake etc maybe not great now but why the constant personal abuse some fans are giving? If you were a hibs player deemed under performing would you just walk away from the club bet you would not. I understand that some might say these players are getting paid a fortune to deal with pressure but the direct threats, abuse is out of order.

and before anyone adds im not a player or a yam

number 27
31-10-2013, 06:25 PM
They could always come off twitter.

Personally can't understand why the club allows any players to get involved in ridiculous squabbles on social media.

Thecat23
31-10-2013, 06:25 PM
It's sickening the stuff folk were saying. Personal abuse because they couldn't win is unreal. The boy shouting "Craig how did you miss that" FFS he's our top scorer and done superb all season.

I'm glad there was a protest towards Pat and the board but if you were one of the ones abusing players or their wives YOU are the disgrace and YOU can f uck right off.

People really need to channel the anger in the right direction not just for the sake of shouting.

WhileTheChief..
31-10-2013, 06:27 PM
'They're human beings', a tragic phrase used by losers about losers. Load of pish.

Curly1875
31-10-2013, 06:29 PM
'They're human beings', a tragic phrase used by losers about losers. Load of pish.

Are they not then?

allmodcons
31-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Tin hat on......

Some of the abuse i have seen from Hibs fan makes me feel sick. These are human beings who may not be performing to our standards but are still human beings with families. I understand our frustration and i am one who is upset at how our team is playing but targeting players and giving them direct abuse over Twitter etc is not on. This can cause all sorts of bother for our players like depression and the knock on effect it has on their families. Mcpake etc maybe not great now but why the constant personal abuse some fans are giving? If you were a hibs player deemed under performing would you just walk away from the club bet you would not. I understand that some might say these players are getting paid a fortune to deal with pressure but the direct threats, abuse is out of order.

:agree: A fair number of our support don't know the difference between constructive criticism and vitriolic abuse.

green day
31-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Tin hat on......

Dont be a tit. Any player with half a brain must understand that social media is a 2 way street - take the plaudits when it goes well, take the abuse if not - thats the deal, whatever club you are at.

or..........they could just come off twitter / facebook ?

Dont be telling us, who are actually fans, not to abuse players who have caused us huge embarassment at work today - you know something, if they had actually tried a leg in the last 2 derbies, we would have 3 points and been in the semis of the League Cup.

You, my friend are at it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
Personally, I like the retort, well could you do any better?

HibbySpurs
Agree, the utter bile on James's twitter account is shocking. The perpetrators of this sort of abuse are not real Hibs supporters (IMO).

Shouting "that was pish" from the stands at a player is one thing but verbal abuse either to their face or via social media is just wrong.

Problem with social media is it has created a whole generation of "keyboard hardmen" who probably couldn't fight sleep!

Thecat23
31-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Jeezo, what a post that is!!!!!

stoneyburn hibs
31-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Tin hat on......

Take up knitting then precious.
The fans have suffered years of depressing pish football and if Mcpake or any other player have Twitter accounts, then they will get stick from the fans. Be naive of them to think otherwise.

GreenArmy1875
31-10-2013, 06:39 PM

Reaction i expected from some of our support.

So you think its acceptable then?

rcarter1
31-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Tin hat on......

I agree that abusing individual players is nothing more than laziness/nastiness on the part of the abusers. If Fenlon goes as we want him to, how many of our players could give a flying f for the club with some of the abuse they have taken. They are paid to deal with it, but at some point being human they will just say sod this lot. The buck stops with the manager. A proper manager knows when to give a player a dressing down, or drop him from the team. When a player that has given his all like Stevenson gets abuse from fans its totally destructive.

GreenArmy1875
31-10-2013, 06:44 PM
I understand vent anger when they are on the park and show them its not acceptable what we are watching but the fact some adults on here think its acceptable to abuse a player about appearance just puts our club to shame.

WhileTheChief..
31-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Jeezo, what a post that is!!!!!

Yeah ok, maybe a bit harsh but the OP does have his tin hat on ;)

Anyways, the only time you tend to hear that phrase is when trying to defend the indefesible.

"Oh look what they're doing to Gary Glitter, that's no nice, he 's only human" etc etc

**** sake, folk need to man up. It's no just the team that are soft turns out the fans are going that way too. No wonder RP has nothing to worry about and Fenlon doesn't feel the pressure.

The entire 'Hibs Family' (man i hate that phrase too) needs to collectively grow a set :take that

green day
31-10-2013, 06:47 PM
You know what?

How about something novel for a change - the team performs well for an extended period (lets start realistically, say 3 months?) then you might find the fans are a bit 'nicer'.

I used to be a home and away kinda guy, fell out of love with the season ticket during Blobbys era, and have been a walk up fan since - but at least in my youth we had teams with some guts and fans who knew it.

Even during the period when the jambos had 22 undefeated derbies, I still went to Tynie for the giggles / running riots - but now? This team, management and board are soft as *****.

And telling fans to be cuddly wuddly to the poor abused (£100K PA many of them) players is just total pish.

The problems are not with the fans.

WhileTheChief..
31-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Reaction i expected from some of our support.

So you think its acceptable then?

Nah I don't think giving personal abuse is in any way acceptable, I'll give you that.

But I'm fed up of all the sugary soapy namby-pamby chat on here. Sorry!

Thecat23
31-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah ok, maybe a bit harsh but the OP does have his tin hat on ;)

Anyways, the only time you tend to hear that phrase is when trying to defend the indefesible.

"Oh look what they're doing to Gary Glitter, that's no nice, he 's only human" etc etc

**** sake, folk need to man up. It's no just the team that are soft turns out the fans are going that way too. No wonder RP has nothing to worry about and Fenlon doesn't feel the pressure.

The entire 'Hibs Family' (man i hate that phrase too) needs to collectively grow a set :take that

I get what you're saying. Players on twitter need to take the bad with the good. I was talking about the folk who abused Lewis. A guy who gives his all week in week out. If folk don't rate him is that his fault? Does he say sorry I'm ***** better no bother turning up tonight and leave Hibs short.

Twitter fans and players can act like ********s, off the field don't abuse players or their families. That's what I'm meaning.

GreenArmy1875
31-10-2013, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=WhileTheChief..;3787756]Yeah ok, maybe a bit harsh but the OP does have his tin hat on ;)

The entire 'Hibs Family' (man i hate that phrase too) needs to collectively grow a set :take that[/QUOTE

Comparing Hibs players to a beast. :aok: Good one mate

We need to toughen up as a club yes but personally abusing players about appearance or tearing their heads off for missing one chance is not a good fan.

rcarter1
31-10-2013, 06:53 PM
You know what?

How about something novel for a change - the team performs well for an extended period (lets start realistically, say 3 months?) then you might find the fans are a bit 'nicer'.

I used to be a home and away kinda guy, fell out of love with the season ticket during Blobbys era, and have been a walk up fan since - but at least in my youth we had teams with some guts and fans who knew it.

Even during the period when the jambos had 22 undefeated derbies, I still went to Tynie for the giggles / running riots - but now? This team, management and board are soft as *****.

And telling fans to be cuddly wuddly to the poor abused (£100K PA many of them) players is just total pish.

Thats fine, but I think the point is the fans should back up the players on the pitch, and then allow the manager to kick ***** when required. Our real problem is the manager. Get the right man in, and no doubt performances will improve and lighten the mood, but in the situation we are in, it is the board/management who need it tight, not the players.

Scooter
31-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Personal abuse is not on. It's shocking

bingo70
You know what?

Absolutely. Especially when to a man I bet they'd train/work harder if they joined either of the old firm.

If the board had the fans level of expectation we'd be in a better place just now.

GreenArmy1875
Nah I don't think giving personal abuse is in any way acceptable, I'll give you that.

But I'm fed up of all the sugary soapy namby-pamby chat on here. Sorry!

whats "Namby-Pamby" about the effect it has on families or players mental health?

SlickShoes
31-10-2013, 06:56 PM
It's sickening the stuff folk were saying. Personal abuse because they couldn't win is unreal. The boy shouting "Craig how did you miss that" FFS he's our top scorer and done superb all season.

I'm glad there was a protest towards Pat and the board but if you were one of the ones abusing players or their wives YOU are the disgrace and YOU can f uck right off.

People really need to channel the anger in the right direction not just for the sake of shouting.

WOW how could Liam possibly cope with that level of abuse?

DaveF
31-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Personal abuse is not on. It's shocking

You're right of course, but if I was 20 years younger I would have been round protesting and telling them all to **** off.

Football brings out the passion in you and I don't blame any fan for losing the plot last night. At least it shows they care.

Northernhibee
31-10-2013, 06:57 PM
You know what?

So you really think the team turn up and say "We're going to play totally pish today, that's the way forward"?

You only need to see the recent reports about Sparky's state of mind after receiving a ton of abuse (from fans of another team, granted) to see what abuse given to players (who are human beings, I'd love to see anyone claim otherwise) can do.

As for you bringing up their salary, I'd love to know what that has to do with one human being abusing another, I really would. Could do with a laugh after yesterday.

WhileTheChief..
31-10-2013, 06:57 PM
whats "Namby-Pamby" about the effect it has on families or players mental health?

Och wind your neck in. Who's health has been affected by a few rantings on here? You're taking things to the extreme now to try and make a point.

green day
31-10-2013, 06:59 PM

:rotflmao:

Thats exactly it - can you imagine how geebsie would have felt after that game? he would have had the team by the throat in the dressing room telling them its ****** unacceptable - McPake?

Nah

GreenArmy1875
31-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Och wind your neck in. Who's health has been affected by a few rantings on here? You're taking things to the extreme now to try and make a point.

No its the fact like i said in my original post the personal abuse players get is not on. You are a grown man surely you can accept that.

No wonder players reject us for "smaller" clubs if they see the abuse our current players get.

I agree the club is rotten from the top somewhere and we are crap collectively as a club/team.

Phil D. Rolls
31-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Is it abusive if it is true - how did he miss it?

Thecat23
31-10-2013, 07:03 PM

The tone was poisonous to start with. He missed a chance not shot someone. Players miss get ****ing over it.

Hibrandenburg
31-10-2013, 07:05 PM

I don't know where to start with that one, next you'll be comparing Hibs players to pedophiles.

green day
31-10-2013, 07:05 PM
So you really think the team turn up and say "We're going to play totally pish today, that's the way forward"?

You only need to see the recent reports about Sparky's state of mind after receiving a ton of abuse (from fans of another team, granted) to see what abuse given to players (who are human beings, I'd love to see anyone claim otherwise) can do.

As for you bringing up their salary, I'd love to know what that has to do with one human being abusing another, I really would. Could do with a laugh after yesterday.

Nope, thats not what i am saying - clearly (I thought) I was noting that "if the players want fans to stop the bad sweary stuff" they should start doing what they are paid (in many cases handsomely) for.

I understand (I am 45 after all) that hibs wont be cup winners every year (!) but I do think we need some nuts - particularly when it comes to the mutants up the road.

And yes, abuse is wrong - but, as has been stated elsewhere, perhaps they shouldnt be on twitter or reply to idiots who abuse them on social media sites (not me, by the way)

Thecat23
31-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Is it abusive if it is true - how did he miss it?

Should have squared it. He didn't and we lost. Having a go at him oh and I forgot to add shouted after it "Have some desire" WTF???

Northernhibee
31-10-2013, 07:07 PM
I can understand people booing at the game and shouting that the performance has been pish entirely - it's not something I choose to do myself but I empathise with people wanting to vent their frustration about what they're seeing on the pitch. That's natural.

Acting in an aggressive and abusive manner to players at the ground and over the internet is something totally different and if you think it's acceptable then I'd have to question your morality as a human being. The drive up the road last night was brutal but giving out vile abuse to other human beings? Nah, not even near Hibs class.

WhileTheChief..
31-10-2013, 07:07 PM
I don't know where to start with that one, next you'll be comparing Hibs players to pedophiles.

I'd been having a look over on kickback and it was the first name that came to mind!

Paisley Hibby
31-10-2013, 07:08 PM
:agree: A fair number of our support don't know the difference between constructive criticism and vitriolic abuse.

Spot on mate. We're justified in being angry about last night but dear oh dear, some reactions are so way over the top it's embarrassing.

The_Exile
31-10-2013, 07:10 PM
The same folk dishing abuse out are probably the same folk saying it was terrible what Griffiths had to put up with on twitter. Alas, if I was a pro athlete I wouldn't be anywhere near social media unless it was for sponsorship/club events, q&a sessions etc.

Now in saying that, there's the flip side, of the ordinary fan who doesn't earn a lot and going to the fitba is the only vice/release/escape etc, and it does stir your emotions to a heightened extreme win, lose or draw, it's one of the reasons we put ourselves through this. It's a toughie, I wouldn't want anybody to stop getting swept along in the emotions of the game, but also don't want to see the abuse that our own players are getting, even though they do deserve a sizeable boot up the erse.

Hibrandenburg
31-10-2013, 07:32 PM
I can only speak for myself but if I was constantly abused by paying customers then I think at some point I'd probably think "Well **** you" and take them for all I could with as little in return as possible.

Just a thought.

Phil D. Rolls
31-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Should have squared it. He didn't and we lost. Having a go at him oh and I forgot to add shouted after it "Have some desire" WTF???

Yep, you'd imagine the guy sitting at home all week working on that one. Quite bizarre really.

Phil D. Rolls
31-10-2013, 07:36 PM
I can only speak for myself but if I was constantly abused by paying customers then I think at some point I'd probably think "Well **** you" and take them for all I could with as little in return as possible.

Just a thought.

Supposing your job was a Prostitute specialising in S&M?

JJP
31-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Some of these guys on twitter giving McPake abuse are unreal. Would
be hilarious, if they weren't real people. Embarrassed to even support the same team as them.

SaulGoodman
31-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Mcpake deactivating his twitter.

He's took some shocking abuse today

Hibrandenburg
31-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Supposing your job was a Psychiatric Nurse. :greengrin

I know some and even they've got a breaking point, it's also basically the reason I gave up working as a Paramedic, at some point along the way the patients became the enemy and then I knew it was time to throw in the towel.

Hibrandenburg
31-10-2013, 07:44 PM

I would think the "**** you" syndrome in that job kicks in quite early.

hibsbollah
31-10-2013, 07:46 PM

That is the post of a bellend.

Off the bar
31-10-2013, 07:49 PM

James McPake ‏@JamesMcPake6 (https://twitter.com/JamesMcPake6) 16m (https://twitter.com/JamesMcPake6/status/395996663107833856) Shutting this down! Thanks for the positive comments from some today, all the negative ones have been taken on board!Again sorry for the red

rcarter1
31-10-2013, 07:56 PM
James McPake ‏@JamesMcPake6 (https://twitter.com/JamesMcPake6) 16m (https://twitter.com/JamesMcPake6/status/395996663107833856) Shutting this down! Thanks for the positive comments from some today, all the negative ones have been taken on board!Again sorry for the red

Remarkable composure to be fair. Ive never bought into the McPake witch hunt. He was a hero for a while, picked up an injury, the manager needed the balls to take him out the side when his form dropped - but chose to keep playing him. That eroded his and the fans confidence. SInce he has been back he has played pretty well for the most part. The second half from the whole team was poor - that is as more down to the manager than the individuals. Players without a game plan get jittery and start making bad decisions.

A good manager would have had those same players destroy Hearts yesterday.

DaveF
31-10-2013, 07:56 PM

Sense at last from McPake. Why he would be on twitter today was a terrible decision in the first place.

cabbageandribs1875
31-10-2013, 07:57 PM

:tee hee:

Stringer
31-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Griffiths is the only player in the last 5 years who the fans have properly supported.

Just Alf
31-10-2013, 08:13 PM
What gets me about all this is various "other" managers, Butcher etc have stated in interviews time after time ( especially last 2 seasons) how the Hibs support noisy expression of "discontent" towards the Hibs players at ER is a double "gift", on one hand it makes the Hibs players keep second guessing each and very move they make and on the other the negativity towards the home team helps give them an edge against us.

I guess we'll never learn that lesson and therefore probably deserve what we get if we ever lose the 1st goal :-(

As for the abuse on twitter, Facebook etc .... That's just not Hibs class and anyone involved should be deeply ashamed. Full stop.

GGTTH

WestEndHibee
31-10-2013, 08:22 PM
What gets me about all this is various "other" managers, Butcher etc have stated in interviews time after time ( especially last 2 seasons) how the Hibs support noisy expression of "discontent" towards the Hibs players at ER is a double "gift", on one hand it makes the Hibs players keep second guessing each and very move they make and on the other the negativity towards the home team helps give them an edge against us.

I guess we'll never learn that lesson and therefore probably deserve what we get if we ever lose the 1st goal :-(

As for the abuse on twitter, Facebook etc .... That's just not Hibs class and anyone involved should be deeply ashamed. Full stop.

GGTTH

You've said everything I'd like to here. Yesterday was a prime example of when the fans can make the difference. Hibs were playing the right way, hearts score an unsaveable shot, hibs fans start to get boo-ey, hibs players start to panic, long ball football ensues, panicky tackles are made and the downward spiral sets in.

Elephant Stone
31-10-2013, 08:32 PM
There really are some desperately sad individuals in our support. Really disappointed to be a Hibs fan right now and not just because of the result.

jane_says
31-10-2013, 08:34 PM
You've said everything I'd like to here. Yesterday was a prime example of when the fans can make the difference. Hibs were playing the right way, hearts score an unsaveable shot, hibs fans start to get boo-ey, hibs players start to panic, long ball football ensues, panicky tackles are made and the downward spiral sets in.

Thank ****** someone else noticed it. All the folk on here justifying the vile abuse of players have a word eh?

You know there's something wrong when players and managers of other teams come to Easter road knowing if they keep the ball for 20 minutes the crowd turn.

Last years final I couldn't be more proud to be a hibby the way the crowd got behind the team. After 60 minutes last night it was the total opposite. Hopefully a change of manager and a team that goes after games will change that again.

Northernhibee
31-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Well I'd make sure that the customer never came first.

orourke
31-10-2013, 08:58 PM
having read through Mcpakes day on twitter i have to agree that it might not have been wise for him to be on twitter today, that said the guy was no worse on the field last night than many others, i actually still think they were playing fine until they lost a goal, at that stage they need someone to dictate the game plan and change what was going on, time and time again fenlon has failed at this,

on the sending off i think it goes down to sheer frustration and red mist, you can accuse him of many things but he always gives 100%, a lot of the trolls who posted vitriolic crap on his twitter account have more to be ashamed of than the player himself, if a player has a **** game then of course he will get pelter but when the game is finished then we all need to pull in the same direction, remember we are all supposed to be supporting the same club.

Holmesdale Hibs
31-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Griffiths is the only player in the last 5 years who the fans have properly supported.

He had good support towards the end but got it tight in his first season. The only players I can remember never getting it tight are Scott Brown and David Murphy. All our best players have had it: Fletcher (1 footed, lightweight), Whittikar (we need a more conventional right back), Caldwell (error-prone, captain calamity), GOC (first time round when he didn't deserve it), Riordan (lazy)... Some folk will never be pleased.

There's much more to moan about these days granted but people that scream abuse at the top of their voice remind me of children stamping their feet when not getting their own way. Any grown adult shouting obscenities at our own players has some serious personal issues IMO. Maybe they should consider joining a gym, **** the missus or whatever it takes to burn off their negative energy before coming to a match.

Carheenlea
31-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Anyone hounding our players on twitter and subjecting them to personal abuse should be ashamed of themselves. Whatever the solutions to our current woes are to be, this kind of abuse is certainly not going to be one of them.

WhileTheChief..
31-10-2013, 09:53 PM
He had good support towards the end but got it tight in his first season. The only players I can remember never getting it tight are Scott Brown and David Murphy. All our best players have had it: Fletcher (1 footed, lightweight), Whittikar (we need a more conventional right back), Caldwell (error-prone, captain calamity), GOC (first time round when he didn't deserve it), Riordan (lazy)... Some folk will never be pleased.

Is that not just the nature of being a supporter though? I mean , part of the beauty of the game is the diverse range of opinions it generates.

Fans of every club have the same debates, whether Man City, Barcelona, Hibs or whoever. We are no worse then any other clubs' fans.

For every one dissenting voice there were numerous more who praised all of the above players.

In recent years Griffiths has had more support than others probably due to the fact he delivered the most.

NadeAteMyLunch!
31-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Embarrassing

The Voice Of Reason
31-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Embarrassing

Agreed, we have lost twice to the hearts under 20s this season and failed to score a goal.

"Embarrassing" is putting it mildly. :aok:

OsloHibs
31-10-2013, 10:17 PM
I've been very embarrassed reading the stuff that has been on the players twitter pages. The lack of spelling & grammar makes me worry about the Scottish current school system :rolleyes:

Paisley Hibby
31-10-2013, 10:19 PM

GGTTH

:top marks

Jones28
31-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Did sparky not say he had had suicidal thoughts when he received a shed load of abuse over twitter?

Davy Mac
31-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I shouted out last night that Vine is a donkey, I need to have a word with myself, my behaviour was bloody ridiculous last night.

LaMotta
31-10-2013, 10:53 PM
:rotflmao:

Thats exactly it - can you imagine how geebsie would have felt after that game? he would have had the team by the throat in the dressing room telling them its ****** unacceptable - McPake?

Nah

Well if Geebsie was doing that in his many years of derbies at Hibs it didn't work very well did it?

sleeping giant
31-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Well if Geebsie was doing that in his many years of derbies at Hibs it didn't work very well did it?

:hilarious