PDA

View Full Version : How to fix things? It doesn't seem to need much

The Sea-gull
31-10-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm no expert, far from it but it doesn't much to see that things are not right. I don't actually think that it would take as much to fix things as you may first think:-

Sack Fenlon and get a decent manager. Ther are a few who could od a better job than Pat IMHO. Not saying I would absolutley want these guys but Kenny Sheils, Peter Houston, Tony Mowbray, Alex McLeish are all available for starters.

We have a good goalie. For a change. Keep him.

Sign a new RB. Not saying Stevenson has done a lot wrong but he just looks awkward there. Clancy has never convinced through form or fitness and Mullen (questionable signing from Pat to say the least) appears to be way out of the picture and even Fenlon has admitted he hadn't bargained to play Maybury this season.

LB. McGivern is decent on the whoile and one of a few who I tought looked ok last night. Stevenson an able deputy. At LEFT back not RIGHT back.

Central defence. Hanlon has been a constant through all the shight of recent times so needs a rest. McPake was a good loan signing when we needed that type of character to stay in the league. A mistake to sign him permanently but we were all happy at the time. Nelson is no nonsence but we need real quality to play with him when he is fit and alos help bring Forster on. A quality centre half is something we have needed since Jones and Bamba left and we have never got. Pat has continually ignored the need for this. Webster or McManus would have fit the bill. Sign somone like that.

Midfield. Sometimes you have to play to your strengths and not ry and make a formation work. For me, it seems Thomson is perfect for sitting in the middle of a three man midfield with Craig and Robertson either side of him. This would suit them all as neither Craig nor Robertson are best used in wide roles. Playing them more centrally would better utilise Craig's craft and Robertson's energy. I've gone off Taiwo and not too impressed with OTJ. Maybe time for one of them to move on.

Up front. Be bold. Go with three. Pace is everything in the SPL. All the best teams have it. We are struggling a bit with injuries just now but when fit get Harris involved out wide. Handling, Zoubir even give Vine a role in a less central striking role. Sign someone else in January. Play them from the start. Don't worry about being to open. Creating chances and scoring goals will see you win more games than you lose. Tell Heff he is our number 1 striker. Give him service and he will score. Rebuild Collins' confidence by bringing him on a sub when hopefully we are winning more games and scoring more goals, not just when we need goals.

I make that a new manager, a Right Back, a centre half and maybe a pacy tricky creative attacker and we could do something in this league. I'm starting to think the main thing we need to do is get a new manager and get someone in with some fresh attacking ideas. It might see us playing a bit better and picking up a few more home wins.

Brightside
31-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Fenlon out. Try our best to get Butcher or Jackie Mac. If not Collins.
Play Lewis at LB
Promote the young boys for creativty and goal scoring
Get rid of Vine asap.
Let McPake go and play Forster and Hanlon as ou CBs for the next 5 years.
Buy an attacking RB.

Job done.

Waxy
31-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Promote a striker from the u20s to play alongside Heff. Hopefully Cairney and Harris get back shortly. Aytack minded Midfielders.keep Collins as a sub.
Drop Vine off in an off license doorway.

Liams
31-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Hanlon and mcpake just doesnt seem as good as it was, nelson is slow but hes a brute, he gets nothing past him its just slow on counter, thats whyni feel hanlon suits playing with him, nelson marks the CF and hanlon is there to tackle on counter. So i feel foster nelson and hanlon is a decent group to rotate with.

we do have a spine maybe even 7/11 decent starting 11 but its just the fact we have craig and robertson, great players, only players last night who looked like they would score. The problem we have our team has a decent bunch of MF, its just there all central, and thats why sometimes we look good at times but never look creative, but its hard to pick a 2CM.

Up top we have heff no1 striker, colins makes a good player to chase and looks hungry but doesnt look effective. Vine is just a player that needs a goal soooner rather than later. Caldwell looks very very raw, but i doo like him!! Perhaps a loan out would look good!

My team would be

Big ben

Blondie
Hanlon
Nelson
New Rb or foster?(im not sure if he could play there but would gather a good partnership with nelson/hanlon)

Stevenson - he wants to goo forward but just cant at rb
Robertson
Thommo
New Rm or vine/harris/danny

Craig -just behind
Heff

Zoubir on the bench, impact player to go for second goal

Jones28
31-10-2013, 12:37 PM
The problems go deeper than on the pitch guys.

HFC07
31-10-2013, 12:55 PM
My team would be

Big ben

Blondie
Hanlon
Nelson
New Rb or foster?(im not sure if he could play there but would gather a good partnership with nelson/hanlon)

Stevenson - he wants to goo forward but just cant at rb
Robertson
Thommo
New Rm or vine/harris/danny

Craig -just behind
Heff

Zoubir on the bench, impact player to go for second goal

That is a very good shout,
Last night Lewis was constantly getting right up the field and doing it well, why not as you say play him LM.

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2013, 01:01 PM
I think there is a lot more wrong with this team than some folk think. We need a new complete back 4, Maybe McGivern could scrape in perhaps even in the middle, but enough is enough in my opinion. Hanlon McPake and Stevenson are and will never be good enough.

In midfield we need 2 wide men even in a midfield 4 we have no width pace or creativity. And up front we have the Heff and nobody else, plenty of effort all over the park but little quality pace or creativity.

A new manager would still have these problems, with in my opinion little chance of improving them without bringing in new players, again.