PDA

View Full Version : NHC Fernando Ricksen has MND / ALS

Mr Grieves
30-10-2013, 09:38 PM
http://news.stv.tv/west-central/246335-former-rangers-player-fernando-ricksen-has-motor-neurone-disease/

Certainly puts things in perspective

Sir David Gray
30-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Sorry to hear that, I wouldn't wish that sort of illness on anyone.

Still only 37 as well, what a shame.

BH Hibs
30-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Wow hope he can cope. Not wanting to belittle the seriousness of his condition why the need at the end of the article for Rangers cānnot confirm this is true:rolleyes:

leithsansiro
30-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Sorry to hear that, I wouldn't wish that sort of illness on anyone.

Still only 37 as well, what a shame.

That's true, but the bloke was still a Grade A ar$e when he played for Rangers. On the last season of The Last Leg show on channel 4, they posed the question "Is it okay to tell someone in a wheelchair that they're being a twit if they are being?", with the obvious answer being yes, it is.

HibeeMG
30-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Poor guy. Really does put things into perspective. I wish him all the best in his treatment.

As an aside, why would they need Rangers to confirm the story?

Emerald
30-10-2013, 11:37 PM
The man is just a human being like the rest of us and was a good footy player too, how can people hate him? :dunno:. Good luck to him from me. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
30-10-2013, 11:39 PM
That's true, but the bloke was still a Grade A ar$e when he played for Rangers. On the last season of The Last Leg show on channel 4, they posed the question "Is it okay to tell someone in a wheelchair that they're being a twit if they are being?", with the obvious answer being yes, it is.

You don't need to like someone in order to show sympathy towards them when they face a serious illness.

I didn't particularly like Ricksen when he was at Rangers either but I wouldn't wish this on him.

silverhibee
30-10-2013, 11:43 PM
The man is just a human being like the rest of us and was a good footy player too, how can people hate him? :dunno:. Good luck to him from me. :thumbsup:

Deek wasn't to impressed when Ricksen knocked him out, but i doubt he hate him for it, get well Fernando.

LancashireHibby
30-10-2013, 11:49 PM
No doubting he was an arse when he played, but I've got a mate (ex footballer in fact) who has MND and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, so the best of luck to him.

monktonharp
30-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Wow hope he can cope. Not wanting to belittle the seriousness of his condition why the need at the end of the article for Rangers cānnot confirm this is true:rolleyes:

they obviously don't need The Rangers to confirm. the poor guy himself, along with a friend/assistant did confirm and expose the fact that he has been diagnosed with Motor Neurons. I never liked him as a player, a lot to do with his Ibrox connections but nevertheless I do feel for him and his family. there's no way back from that illness, as yet. I worked with a guy who had just been diagnosed, a good bit older than me who once said that he normally went for only 3 or 4 pints at the weekend. He came out of his local, the Bonnyrigg Rose social club iirc and suddenly collapsed. he knew what was going on round about him but was totally immobilised, could not get up and people were giving him a body swerve,thinking that he was a drunk man, just get past him. eventually confined to the house, then, you know the next bit.

monktonharp
30-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Deek wasn't to impressed when Ricksen knocked him out, but i doubt he hate him for it, get well Fernando.he wont get well

leithsansiro
31-10-2013, 12:10 AM
You don't need to like someone in order to show sympathy towards them when they face a serious illness.

I didn't particularly like Ricksen when he was at Rangers either but I wouldn't wish this on him.

I didn't say I wished this on him, all I was suggesting was that it seems a bit odd. His illness certainly does seem like a rubbish situation and I wouldn't want it for myself or anyone I love, but the boy was always came across as an idiot and that won't change just because he is now ill

Kiddo
31-10-2013, 12:32 AM
he wont get well

Four month to live if stories I'm hearing are true. Doesn't make him a better person or make me feel more sorry for him. It's his family I feel sorry for, they're losing someone they love and need. Doesn't matter a f u c k what he done in his career.

Hibercelona
31-10-2013, 12:43 AM
A total welt as a footballer. But this is real life. This is something happening outwidth the game. It's a horrible situation for the man to be in.

I wish the man a miracle, I really do.

Nakedmanoncrack
31-10-2013, 12:49 AM

Well, how could they? The Rangers Ricksen played for no longer exist.

monktonharp
31-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Four month to live if stories I'm hearing are true. Doesn't make him a better person or make me feel more sorry for him. It's his family I feel sorry for, they're losing someone they love and need. Doesn't matter a f u c k what he done in his career. I pointed out a fact, no less

Kiddo
31-10-2013, 01:08 AM
I pointed out a fact, no less

Not having a go at you or anyone with that. Just taking the point you made and expanding on it

number 27
31-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Went out drinking with him one night strangely enough. Bit of a big time Charlie but so are most footballers really.

Sad news, should put last night in perspective but it probably says bad things about me that it absolutely does not.

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2013, 08:59 AM
No point in wishing the guy good luck as its a miracle he needs not luck.

I said in another thread that if we lost last nights game it would be a disaster .... but not a real life one, only a football one. The fact that the guy was an on field tool is neither here nor there ..... All the best to him and his family.

JustSimplyHibs
31-10-2013, 10:04 AM
http://news.stv.tv/west-central/246335-former-rangers-player-fernando-ricksen-has-motor-neurone-disease/

Certainly puts things in perspective

Mum passed away a few years ago with MND... horrible horrible disease and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

There is NO CURE and having watched MND unfold before my eyes - my heart goes out to him and his family.

31-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Never liked him as a player but thats football rivalry for you, would never wish this on anybody. Terrible news indeed, genuinly sorry to hear.

sh00byd00
31-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Never understood internet forums when it comes to posting about dead or seriously ill celebs, footballers or any other person who is/has been in the public eye. It's usually littered with people telling us how great a person they themselves are, that they're able to show kindness, forgiveness etc and anything the footballer/celeb is going through happens to be a footnote highlighting this.

I mean, take this thread for example, it's littered with comments that begin with "I didn't particularly like Ricksen..." type comments and finished off with the usual "but I wouldn't wish that on anyone" that equate to no more than people patting themselves on the back because they can show some faux empathy for all to see. :greengrin

lord bunberry
31-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Never understood internet forums when it comes to posting about dead or seriously ill celebs, footballers or any other person who is/has been in the public eye. It's usually littered with people telling us how great a person they themselves are, that they're able to show kindness, forgiveness etc and anything the footballer/celeb is going through happens to be an aside.

I mean, take this thread for example, it's littered with comments that begin with "I didn't particularly like Ricksen..." type comments and finished off with the usual "but I wouldn't wish that on anyone" that equate to no more than people patting themselves on the back because they can show some faux empathy for all to see. :greengrin

Is it? I think it's just people being honest, I didn't particularly like him as a player but I never hoped that he would get a life ending illness. I can honestly say that I wish him all the best for whatever time he has left. There's no faux empathy there from me or any of the other posts I've read.

sh00byd00
31-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Is it? I think it's just people being honest, I didn't particularly like him as a player but I never hoped that he would get a life ending illness. I can honestly say that I wish him all the best for whatever time he has left. There's no faux empathy there from me or any of the other posts I've read.

But what has your dislike for Ricksen got to do with him suffering from MND? Why do you need to reinforce your positive with a negative? Seriously, i don't get the connection other than you're wanting to appear the bigger man when it's just not necessary at all.

I'm not picking on you per se, because the same holds true for others too, i'm merely answering you directly. It just seems to be the done thing nowadays. It's a truly bizarre habit.

lord bunberry
31-10-2013, 03:36 PM
But what has your dislike for Ricksen got to do with him suffering from MND? Why do you need to reinforce your positive with a negative? Seriously, i don't get the connection other than you're wanting to appear the bigger man when it's just not necessary at all.

I'm not picking on you per se, because the same holds true of others, i'm merely answering you directly. It just seems to be the done thing nowadays. It's a truly bizarre habit.

I can't speak for others but for me it's genuinely how I feel about it. I genuinely didn't like him as a player but I genuinely don't wish him any harm.
What do you think about him? Did you like him as a player? What do you think about him getting mnd?

frazeHFC
31-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Never really knew about MND until I read this article, is such a shame. :( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2480633/Fernando-Ricksen-battling-Motor-Neurone-Disease.html

sh00byd00
31-10-2013, 04:33 PM
I can't speak for others but for me it's genuinely how I feel about it. I genuinely didn't like him as a player but I genuinely don't wish him any harm.
What do you think about him? Did you like him as a player? What do you think about him getting mnd?

I wish him all the best, like i would with anyone unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with such an awful condition, but what i thought of him as a player is neither here nor there. The only people I tend to dislike are those who have personally done wrong by me. Ricksen for me was simply part of a Rangers team that i had little or no interest in other than wanting Hibs to win against.

lapsedhibee
31-10-2013, 05:41 PM
I wish him all the best, like i would with anyone unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with such an awful condition, but what i thought of him as a player is neither here nor there. The only people I tend to dislike are those who have personally done wrong by me. Ricksen for me was simply part of a Rangers team that i had little or no interest in other than wanting Hibs to win against.

If there's going to be a poll, can there be an option "Didn't like him on the football field and don't care about him now"?

I knew someone who lived for 25 years after being diagnosed. Stephen Hawking is 71.

sh00byd00
31-10-2013, 05:51 PM
If there's going to be a poll, can there be an option "Didn't like him on the football field and don't care about him now"?

I knew someone who lived for 25 years after being diagnosed. Stephen Hawking is 71.

He's in the minority, though (not to say Ricksen won't have a long time). Most sufferers die within the first 5 years and even then, 5 years is good going when it comes to MND.

The_Exile
31-10-2013, 06:18 PM
It's pretty much a death sentence and thoughts go out to his family who will have a pretty crappy next few years. Always loved watching him play, he was the type of player you absolutely hated but secretly would love to have him in your team. Remember he was joint player of the year with Hartson one year, he was a cracking player, will always remember him for that pole axe on Deek though, that was utterly horrific.

Winston Ingram
31-10-2013, 06:23 PM
It was horrible watching his interview. I genuinely wish him all the luck in the world

ScottB
31-10-2013, 09:34 PM
It was horrible watching his interview. I genuinely wish him all the luck in the world

Just saw that just now, you could see the emotion in his eyes but already he seems to have problems moving his facial muscles so couldn't really express it.

Can think of few things worse to get really. Wish him all the best under the circumstances.

Jonnyboy
31-10-2013, 09:36 PM

This

Biggie
31-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Agree, what a bloody shame....although there was a guy on who's had it for 5 years so maybe the fact he was a pro athelete will work in his favour.....

Sir David Gray
31-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Never understood internet forums when it comes to posting about dead or seriously ill celebs, footballers or any other person who is/has been in the public eye. It's usually littered with people telling us how great a person they themselves are, that they're able to show kindness, forgiveness etc and anything the footballer/celeb is going through happens to be a footnote highlighting this.

Since you've practically quoted my second post on this thread word for word, I feel I should respond.

I did not intend to make any reference on this thread, as to what my views were on Ricksen when he was a footballer. If you look at my first post, it was a simple message of sympathy towards a human being who was facing up to a very serious illness, one which has no cure and one which will most likely end his life at some point over the next few years.

It is a nightmare for him and for his friends and family. He is only 12 years older than me and the thought of someone that age getting that sort of illness and possibly not making it to his 40th birthday is truly tragic.

I don't know the guy but I know that if someone I loved had that kind of illness, I would be devastated.

The only reason I posted a second post on this thread was because another poster quoted my original post by talking about him being an "arse" when he played for Rangers and another point about how you should still be able to tell someone that they're being a twit even if they're in a wheelchair.

I didn't quite understand the point of that post, which is why I responded with what I said in my second post.

My second post has absolutely nothing at all to do with trying to show how superior I am or with patting myself on the back to congratulate myself on how much of a saint I am and I reject any idea that suggests otherwise.

sh00byd00
01-11-2013, 09:29 AM
No, it wasn't mainly aimed at you nor did i quote directly from your comments. Any similarities are coincidental as it was a general observation. I simply don't get why people have to pre-empt a positive with a negative. It's completely unnecessary and adds nothing to the topic being discussed as far as I'm aware. I'm not sitting here shaking my head nor am i suggesting it's a .net only trait (it's the entire internet), I'm just perplexed why people do it.

Also, calling someone a knob, twat and so on who happens to be in a wheelchair isn't pre-empting a positive with a negative. Two completely different things.