PDA

View Full Version : Negativity in our club

Lanzahibby
30-10-2013, 09:29 PM
I am happy to leave myself wide open here, so feel free to fire away. It's what Hibs supporters do best anyway.

I have followed Hibs since........well, the start of time, as far as I'm concerned - probably about 33 years (I'm 38 now)

All I can remember in that time is a negative, inferiority complex, particularly when it comes to our friends from across the city. I watched every single game in that long run without a win (was it 26?? I try to forget), until Big Geebsie slammed in at the far post at Tynecastle. I watched our fans dance on the pitch in pure joy at full time. I thought that was going to be a turning point, like many at the game that day - it wasn't.

What I have felt in my life as a Hibby is this sad negative atmosphere around the place. Yes Hearts have had the upper hand over the last few decades, probably boasting better squads than us in that time, but I wonder how much of this has been self inflicted. I haven't seen Hibs put in a better 30 minutes of an Edinburgh derby in years than we did tonight, I thought we were absolutely brilliant in this period tonight. And our supporters were amazing too. But then the sucker punch goal. We probably all felt it was going to come, we were playing the ****bos after all, right? And let's face it, this happens in football regularly. What saddens me is the supporters reaction from this point onwards.

We had a half chance after that, and then it was the usual from us. As soon on our OUR players made a mistake, the fans were on their backs. We're all used to this, right? The same morons do this if a Hibs player makes a mistake after 30 seconds in any given match, well at home anyway.

And then to hear booing with nearly 30 minutes to go - bloody hell, do these people want to support Hibs or the other team? This must have been music to the Yams supporters/players/management teams ears. Yes we should have done better, Yes we should have created more chances after the Hearts goal, yes Craig should have scored or squared it for the equaliser, but can you moronic "Hibs supporters" who are all doom and gloom not realise that what you transmit from the stands, has a direct effect on our players?

Hearts are ****. We all know that. Yet they have beaten us twice out of 2 this season, scoring 2 to our nil. Is this down to better players? No. Is this down to better management - No. (Don't start slagging Fenlon please, this is not down to him. Is this down to better supporters? Well, not exactly, but could this be down to the difference between positivity and negativity within the two clubs? I firmly believe that's a yes.

We as Hibs supporters have to give ourselves an effin shake here. How many off you feared the worse after fat Stevensons goal tonight? How many of you really believed we would score that equaliser and go on to win? (I mean truly believed, not just hoped). Our negative energy is transmitting from the supporters to the players to the dug out, and if you don't believe me, then you are on another planet.

Supporting Hibs doesn't just mean turning up and cheering when it's nil nil or Hibs are in front - it means' supporting the team when the chips are down. Hibs fans just don't do that.

kdhibees1
30-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Agree with some (after reading in full) of what you are saying, but it's the same old story time and time again. This is why it's the way it is!

Thecat23
30-10-2013, 09:33 PM
I am happy to leave myself wide open here, so feel free to fire away. It's what Hibs supporters do best anyway.

I have followed Hibs since........well, the start of time, as far as I'm concerned - probably about 33 years (I'm 38 now)

All I can remember in that time is a negative, inferiority complex, particularly when it comes to our friends from across the city. I watched every single game in that long run without a win (was it 26?? I try to forget), until Big Geebsie slammed in at the far post at Tynecastle. I watched our fans dance on the pitch in pure joy at full time. I thought that was going to be a turning point, like many at the game that day - it wasn't.

What I have felt in my life as a Hibby is this sad negative atmosphere around the place. Yes Hearts have had the upper hand over the last few decades, probably boasting better squads than us in that time, but I wonder how much of this has been self inflicted. I haven't seen Hibs put in a better 30 minutes of an Edinburgh derby in years than we did tonight, I thought we were absolutely brilliant in this period tonight. And our supporters were amazing too. But then the sucker punch goal. We probably all felt it was going to come, we were playing the ****bos after all, right? And let's face it, this happens in football regularly. What saddens me is the supporters reaction from this point onwards.

We had a half chance after that, and then it was the usual from us. As soon on our OUR players made a mistake, the fans were on their backs. We're all used to this, right? The same morons do this if a Hibs player makes a mistake after 30 seconds in any given match, well at home anyway.

And then to hear booing with nearly 30 minutes to go - bloody hell, do these people want to support Hibs or the other team? This must have been music to the Yams supporters/players/management teams ears. Yes we should have done better, Yes we should have created more chances after the Hearts goal, yes Craig should have scored or squared it for the equaliser, but can you moronic "Hibs supporters" who are all doom and gloom not realise that what you transmit from the stands, has a direct effect on our players?

Hearts are ****. We all know that. Yet they have beaten us twice out of 2 this season, scoring 2 to our nil. Is this down to better players? No. Is this down to better management - No. (Don't start slagging Fenlon please, this is not down to him. Is this down to better supporters? Well, not exactly, but could this be down to the difference between positivity and negativity within the two clubs? I firmly believe that's a yes.

We as Hibs supporters have to give ourselves an effin shake here. How many off you feared the worse after fat Stevensons goal tonight? How many of you really believed we would score that equaliser and go on to win? (I mean truly believed, not just hoped). Our negative energy is transmitting from the supporters to the players to the dug out, and if you don't believe me, then you are on another planet.

Supporting Hibs doesn't just mean turning up and cheering when it's nil nil or Hibs are in front - it means' supporting the team when the chips are down. Hibs fans just don't do that.

You're last part is rubbish. You say we don't turn up when chips are down. We have been booted in the nuts god knows how many times by them yet look at the turn out tonight. Hibs are lucky folk are still going at all the ***** we have put up with. I hope to god everyone pies the next match if Pat is still here.

Bobby's Cinema
30-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Was it the fans fault at 1-5? was it the fans fault at 0-3? was it the fans fault at 0-7? was it the fans fault at the two defeats this season against a schoolboy hearts team? Shafted again.

The Green Goblin
30-10-2013, 09:34 PM
I couldn't disagree more. The fans have been immense. The "negativity" as you put it is as a result of being kicked in the sacks again and again and again.

andy1875
30-10-2013, 09:36 PM
The support is in no way to blame for our performances under this current "manager".

Fenlon isn't good enough and is competely out his depth.

End of.

Steve20
30-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Oh good, the old blame the fans crap.

The players? Yes The manager? Oh defo. The people that are NOT to blame for that pish are the fans that turn up and pay their money to suffer that embarrassment.

hibeerealist
30-10-2013, 09:43 PM

Absolute ****, their fans would be every bit as negative if they had to put up with what we have for far too many years. For so many hobbies to turn up tonight after fenlons eye bleeding football says so much about us, their lot would never turn out in same circumstances. fenlon is a fud

HiBremian
30-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Aye, right. Love the amateur psychology.

Wasn't at ER, but as a Hibs TV Xtra season ticket holder I still roll along the same coasters as the fans in the stands, and boy was I willing the team to equalise after that goal. Trouble is, the reaction and tactics from the team was just pure ****. The players chose to play the ball backwards rather than forwards, and I started to react to THEM.

If you really want to do football psychology, take a look at how the soap dodgers react to going a goal down. Their fans call for a reaction - AND THE PLAYERS GENERALLY GIVE IT - so the fans get behind them. Ever since I've supported Hibs (first game 5-5 against Clyde in 1958) I've quietly admired the way Celtc teams use their fans to get back into a game, but the reaction works two ways. The team has to react. We Hibs fans have given our team every chance to react in the same way after a setback, but there comes a time when the lack of a reaction from the team means that enough is enough.

the_ginger_hibee
30-10-2013, 09:46 PM
but can you moronic "Hibs supporters" who are all doom and gloom not realise that what you transmit from the stands, has a direct effect on our players?

What? :confused:

There was only a few morons inside Easter Road tonight...all in the Home dugout and all in the green on the pitch.

Hibs fans should be commended for STILL sticking by after years of derby failings and a years worth of horror results (1-0 Hearts x2 , 0-7 Malmo, 0-3 SCF). Your fishing for a reaction if you genuinley believe there is some sort of 'overriding negativity' causing the endless pish we have been subjected to.

lord bunberry
30-10-2013, 09:46 PM

What a load of complete and utter pish, the fans are the ones who have stuck by this club when many would have walked away. Imo people like you are the problem, people like you want to blame probably the most loyal fans in the country for our board and managers failing. Shame on you for suggesting otherwise.

brydekirk
30-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Totally agree with what you are saying, but it's the same old story time and time again. This is why it's the way it is!

Well I'm not putting up with the way it is anymore .
**** Petrie , **** Fenlon. No more STs for me.

Lanzahibby
30-10-2013, 09:49 PM
It's not about 1-5. It's not about 0-3. It's not about Fenlon. Can't you people see what is happening??

I said in my post that this has been happening for 30 odd years! Did you miss that bit?

In 33 years I've seen Hibs win the League Cup twice. That's shocking for a club like ours. Is that down to the players/board/various managers? We've spent plenty of money in this time no?

I'm not solely blaming the fans for this. ****, I'm a fan myself. What I'm saying is it's a negativity running deep within our club, and if we don't change it, then nothing will change.

IberianHibernian
30-10-2013, 09:51 PM

Supporting Hibs doesn't just mean turning up and cheering when it's nil nil or Hibs are in front - it means' supporting the team when the chips are down. Hibs fans just don't do that.I agree with a lot of this but use of " moronic " won`t go down well and rightly so . Like all the other clubs in our league with possible exception of Celtic we don`t have good let alone great players so can beat or lose to almost every team . I`m not that bothered about our results against Hearts since I don`t know any Hearts fans and would hope our amitions are higher than just getting good results against them .

Stringer
30-10-2013, 09:51 PM
I remember a player saying that the hibs fans are quick to turn on their team. Easter road isn't an intimidating atmosphere. Not saying that was the problem tonight. Pat has to go.

neil7908
30-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Sorry mate but this is a terrible post. As others have pointed out the fans have constantly backed the club. Not just in the last fews years but even going back to us getting relegated in 98 and still getting huge gates in the first division.

We honestly must be one of the worst treated set of fans in the country based on our support for the team and the success we get on the park as a result. Success maybe isn't even the right word, its not just winning games but how we go out playing our game and what we give back (or fail to give back) to the supporters in that way.

We're dire right now and can barely muster a shot on target against halfway decent SPL teams. I paid for myself and my girlfriend to go along against Aberdeen and that was £44 gone to watch a team that doesn't/can't attack and doesn't seem concerned about offering any kind of entertainment to their supporters. I never thought I'd look back at the days of Bobby Williamson with nostalgia but thats how I feel at the moment.

That is just unacceptable and the fans are at the stage now where I think we have every right to be negative about the team, the manager and the club.

The economy is in the tank at the moment, decent jobs are hard to come by, wages are stagnant and with loads of high quality football available on TV these days the club has to do more than just rely on loyalty to keep its supporters. Folk always talk about Petrie being a businessman. Well his current business model is broken and unsustainable.

I'm getting to the stage where I cant justify spending money that should be going towards a flat or a car on going to ER every 2nd week to watch us fail to muster a shot at goal.

GreenCastle
30-10-2013, 09:54 PM

I will bite - I think your a yam on the wind up.

The fans are the last one who should be blamed in all of this - quite the opposite - the way they back the team in their numbers! :confused:

OsloHibs
30-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Completely disagree. We should be beating a very poor Hearts team at home. End of. This is the worst Hearts team I have seen since I've followed Hibs. The way the players froze after the Hearts goal was shocking. I expect a team filled with hunger & desire, and we didn't get that, and I have had enough.

Lanzahibby
30-10-2013, 10:00 PM
I will bite - I think your a yam on the wind up.

The fans are the last one who should be blamed in all of this - quite the opposite - the way they back the team in their numbers! :confused:

I don't think you understand the post tbh. There could have been 20,000 of us there tonight, but it's how you support the team that matters.

We all feel negative as Hibs supporters, as there is a feeling of under achieving for many many years as a club. In my 30 years as a Hibby, I have seen many hundreds of players come and go. Many managers, assistants, chairmen, physios etc come and go. But one thing has remained constant - the fans in the stadium. And we are the ones who have had to suffer the poor performances. I am not putting all the blame on the fans. What I am saying is that there is a negative feeling within the club, and we can change this. Get behind the team when the chips are down.

cmcd
30-10-2013, 10:01 PM
What? :confused:

There was only a few morons inside Easter Road tonight...all in the Home dugout and all in the green on the pitch.

Hibs fans should be commended for STILL sticking by after years of derby failings and a years worth of horror results (1-0 Hearts x2 , 0-7 Malmo, 0-3 SCF). Your fishing for a reaction if you genuinley believe there is some sort of 'overriding negativity' causing the endless pish we have been subjected to.
I have supported Hibs all my life and believe me this is Not (by far) the worse team i have seen and im sure some of the more mature posters on here would back me up on this

lord bunberry
30-10-2013, 10:02 PM
It's not about 1-5. It's not about 0-3. It's not about Fenlon. Can't you people see what is happening??

I said in my post that this has been happening for 30 odd years! Did you miss that bit?

In 33 years I've seen Hibs win the League Cup twice. That's shocking for a club like ours. Is that down to the players/board/various managers? We've spent plenty of money in this time no?

I'm not solely blaming the fans for this. ****, I'm a fan myself. What I'm saying is it's a negativity running deep within our club, and if we don't change it, then nothing will change.

What negativety arw you talking about then. When I go to the football I'm generally upbeat about the day ahead as I'm sure most people are. Its the pish on the park that drags most of us down, then to make matters worse I have to listen to idiots like you blaiming me for all the clubs problems. You are so far out of touch its unbelievable.

Holmesdale Hibs
30-10-2013, 10:04 PM
I agree with alot of what the OP says. The atmosphere tonight was poisonous. We might not have an intimidating atmosphere for away teams but our own players must be ****ting themselves before every home game. When the booing started tonight it must have been better than a home game for Hearts.

I'd stop short of calling everyone moronic - the team playing brutal football and never winning is obviously plays a massive part, but the atmosphere at ER is ****, there's no denying it.

leggeto
30-10-2013, 10:11 PM
I spend over a grand on this club every year and if I want to moan at the players I'll ****in moan at them

hibbydog
30-10-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't think you understand the post tbh. There could have been 20,000 of us there tonight, but it's how you support the team that matters.

We all feel negative as Hibs supporters, as there is a feeling of under achieving for many many years as a club. In my 30 years as a Hibby, I have seen many hundreds of players come and go. Many managers, assistants, chairmen, physios etc come and go. But one thing has remained constant - the fans in the stadium. And we are the ones who have had to suffer the poor performances. I am not putting all the blame on the fans. What I am saying is that there is a negative feeling within the club, and we can change this. Get behind the team when the chips are down.

So did we get all negative when we were 3-0 down against falkirk? Nope. We got right behind them and they responded for a change.

I think the team gets excellent support from the fans and we deserve better. I'd happily take dogs abuse for £2-3k a week, not to mention the privilege of pulling on the jersey.

Bobo
30-10-2013, 10:14 PM
We have a board of directors with no drive or ambition dare I say no pride in anything Hibernian, it's been the case for far too long. As long as the support accepts the sh!!te being dished up and keep on attending games nothing will change!

Managerial appointments suit their agenda, negative and bland, unimaginative and always the cheap or easy option. The manager is the most important position at any football club, it's about time Hibs board employed someone tried, trusted and recognised within the game instead of the constant appointment of untried no-marks that we've suffered for so long.

Lanzahibby
30-10-2013, 10:22 PM
We have a board of directors with no drive or ambition dare I say no pride in anything Hibernian, it's been the case for far too long. As long as the support accepts the sh!!te being dished up and keep on attending games nothing will change!

Managerial appointments suit their agenda, negative and bland, unimaginative and always the cheap or easy option. The manager is the most important position at any football club, it's about time Hibs board employed someone tried, trusted and recognised within the game instead of the constant appointment of untried no-marks that we've suffered for so long.

Let's go for Bobby Williamson then, shall we?

Mind you, I guess with your thinking you wouldn't want someone like Tony Mowbray who was untried, no? No idea............:aok:

Ianhibee
30-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Can't agree with any of this - we've turned up with remarkable positivity to a cup final against hearts when we had a terrible team and against a Celtic team who were really pretty good. To games against Malmo and tonight when we were behind the team for much of it but it's easy to lose patience - is it the fans who continually pass sideways and back and get a nosebleed past halfway - they're being guided and coached to play this way and it is not working.

GreenCastle
30-10-2013, 10:26 PM

Turning up and paying a fee - either by ST or ticket is a start to supporting your team.

All clubs have a negative element - are we just supposed to sit back and accept the crap we have been given over the last 2 years..2 years too long.

The fans / supporters like section 43 - are the only good thing about Hibs right now - the players / manager / lack of vision from the board are a disgrace.

Your doing a pretty good wind up job if your trying :wink:

Hibercelona
30-10-2013, 10:26 PM
You're right about the part about it being self inflicted.

We're self defeatests. We beat ourselves more than any opposition team do. We create our own short comings. We put all the pressure on ourselves. We turn up knowing that it's just not going to be our day.

It's depressing. It's a dark place to be in. And it's where we've been for quite some time, with only the odd glimmer of light here and there.

Bobo
30-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Let's go for Bobby Williamson then, shall we?

Mind you, I guess with your thinking you wouldn't want someone like Tony Mowbray who was untried, no? No idea............:aok:

Mowbray was a lucky appointment, a young untried manager who inherited the best group of youngsters Scottish football has seen for some time.

While he had us playing decent football, Mowbray showed no loyalty to Hibs or his players and jumped ship at the first offer, his attentions had been distracted well before he left and performances on the pitch were starting to reflect this. He hasn't set the heather on fire with any of his subsequent clubs since, no coincidence.

VPHIBEE
30-10-2013, 10:32 PM

In any other business, a Manager takes responsibility for his failings and short comings. I feel negative because I have endured another disaster under the management of Pat Fenlon. GTF

Lanzahibby
30-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Turning up and paying a fee - either by ST or ticket is a start to supporting your team.

All clubs have a negative element - are we just supposed to sit back and accept the crap we have been given over the last 2 years..2 years too long.

The fans / supporters like section 43 - are the only good thing about Hibs right now - the players / manager / lack of vision from the board are a disgrace.

Your doing a pretty good wind up job if your trying :wink:

Yeah it's just a wind up Greenstar, well done! I think you must be at the wind up with a quote like that.

Wtf are you on about the last two years for? Did you not read my opening post? I am talking about the last 30 years. Not the last 2. The last 30. Or could you not be ar*ed reading it properly?

Stop blaming the board! Would you rather have a board full of names like Romanov? FFS

Stop blaming the players! We have had countless players through the club in the 30 years I refer to. And countless managers too.

I'm not blaming the fans - I'm a fan too. But we need to stand up and be counted and start thinking positively and truly supporting Hibs, and that doesn't just mean turning up, it means truly supporting them when the sh*t hits the fan.

Lanzahibby
30-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Mowbray was a lucky appointment, a young untried manager who inherited the best group of youngsters Scottish football has seen for some time.

While he had us playing decent football, Mowbray showed no loyalty to Hibs or his players and jumped ship at the first offer, his attentions had been distracted well before he left and performances on the pitch were starting to reflect this. He hasn't set the heather on fire with any of his subsequent clubs since, no coincidence.

FFS don't give the board any credit now, will you? - that would be totally unhibs supporter like!! Deary deary me. We were all happy to go along on the Tony and Mark Venus roller coaster of happiness for a while though, eh? ;)

leggeto
30-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Yeah it's just a wind up Greenstar, well done! I think you must be at the wind up with a quote like that.

Wtf are you on about the last two years for? Did you not read my opening post? I am talking about the last 30 years. Not the last 2. The last 30. Or could you not be ar*ed reading it properly?

Stop blaming the board! Would you rather have a board full of names like Romanov? FFS

Stop blaming the players! We have had countless players through the club in the 30 years I refer to. And countless managers too.

I'm not blaming the fans - I'm a fan too. But we need to stand up and be counted and start thinking positively and truly supporting Hibs, and that doesn't just mean turning up, it means truly supporting them when the sh*t hits the fan.

the **** has hit the fan,I'll still support but you have to have a good moan at them or they won't get the finger out

lord bunberry
30-10-2013, 10:38 PM

We're self defeatests. We beat ourselves more than any opposition team do. We create our own short comings. We put all the pressure on ourselves. We turn up knowing that it's just not going to be our day.

It's depressing. It's a dark place to be in. And it's where we've been for quite some time, with only the odd glimmer of light here and there.

Maybe you are like that but I'm certainly not, and if I ever do I will call it a day.

Hibercelona
30-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Maybe you are like that but I'm certainly not, and if I ever do I will call it a day.

I'm not saying you're a self defeatest as a person. I am however saying that we're self defeatests as a club on a whole. I don't think that can really be denied.

Not that it really matters. If we can't beat a crippled Hearts side, perhaps the club should just call it a day.

The Green Goblin
30-10-2013, 10:45 PM
But we need to stand up and be counted and start thinking positively and truly supporting Hibs, and that doesn't just mean turning up, it means truly supporting them when the sh*t hits the fan.

What exactly does "truly supporting" them involve?

Lanzahibby

And with this post, I say good night. Many of you have replied with vitriol and defiance at my op. But I believe many of you actually share the same mindset as Hibercelona.

These types of negative feelings are the cancer running deep within the heart of the club that we all love, and until we change it, success will be but a dream.

Did any of you see match of the day in England at the weekend? If so, you may have just had a glimpse at the power of positive thinking, ala Fabio Borini. Food for thought, fellow "supporters".:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2477804/Sunderland-2-Newcastle-United-1-Fabio-Borini-settles-Tyne-Wear-derby.html

erskine-hibby
I don't see negativity, I see apathy and blind acceptance of what is put out in front of us.
Negativity may be a good thing if we want REAL change at our club.

Jones28
30-10-2013, 10:52 PM
We as fans are doing our bit. We have done time and time again. Cup finals, derby games, European games, cup ties, spending time and money. And we get **** all in return. Blind loyalty doesnt mean I've got a full wallet and can afford days off work to follow Hibs. We win a semi final here and there and that's as good as it gets. It's a piss take.

The systemic problem at Hibs ain't on the terraces, it's in the ****ing board room.

GreenOnions
30-10-2013, 10:58 PM
I agree with the OP 100%. I am increasingly shocked by the behaviour of a large percentage of Hibs fans. I don't feel I can refer to the Hibs "support" because that is the last thing that a large number of fans offer the team as soon as anything negative happens in a game.

Almost every game these days I feel like turning round to any one of a number of Hibs fans sitting near me and asking them if they actually do support Hibs as they shout never-ending abuse at our players. I feel that our support is among the least loyal and most negative support around. It's also becoming more and more difficult to even see the last ten minutes of games as hundreds of Hibs fans trying to leave early end up standing motionless on the steps making it impossible to see the game for those who remain in their seats until the end!

These fans should ask themselves why is our home record so much poorer than our away record. In my opinion the answer is obvious - there are more Hibs fans at Easter Road.

lord bunberry
30-10-2013, 11:00 PM
I agree with the OP 100%. I am increasingly shocked by the behaviour of a large percentage of Hibs fans. I don't feel I can refer to the Hibs "support" because that is the last thing that a large number of fans offer the team as soon as anything negative happens in a game.

Almost every game these days I feel like turning round to any one of a number of Hibs fans sitting near me and asking them if they actually do support Hibs as they shout never-ending abuse at our players. I feel that our support is among the least loyal and most negative support around. It's also becoming more and more difficult to even see the last ten minutes of games as hundreds of Hibs fans trying to leave early end up standing motionless on the steps making it impossible to see the game for those who remain in their seats until the end!

These fans should ask themselves why is our home record so much poorer than our away record. In my opinion the answer is obvious - there are more Hibs fans at Easter Road.

I think your 100% wrong.

AL-Qaholik
30-10-2013, 11:03 PM

What an utter pile of patronising pish...

GreenOnions
30-10-2013, 11:04 PM
I think your 100% wrong.

Wrong about the number of Hibs fans constantly screaming abuse at our players during a game - with even thousands booing when certain players make a mistake (eg tonight with Vine)? Or perhaps wrong about the number of fans who leave before the end of games? Or maybe even wrong about the fact that our home record is so much worse than our away record?

erskine-hibby
30-10-2013, 11:08 PM

But maybe not for long.
Then you might see a change, as there is no one left to make their feelings known. Yeah, maybe even see us win some games then. THEN we will be alright...no wait, then we will be out of business.

The club needs to take heed of the fans feelings, instead of ignoring them and taking them for granted...while there are some left.

Hibby 2005
30-10-2013, 11:14 PM

Get a grip.

2 Cup Finals in a row the Hibs support gave Fenlon and the Hibs team incredible backing and he/they let us down.

Tonight Fenlon should have called it quits but he won't as he's looking for the money.

GreenOnions
30-10-2013, 11:14 PM
But maybe not for long.
Then you might see a change, as there is no one left to make their feelings known. Yeah, maybe even see us win some games then. THEN we will be alright...no wait, then we will be out of business.

The club needs to take heed of the fans feelings, instead of ignoring them and taking them for granted...while there are some left.

I accept that completely. But we have to ask ourselves whether or not any action we, as fans, are taking is actually effective. There are places for criticism (such as here for example) and behind closed doors. There are also different ways to put pressure on the board and I don't agree with any behaviour that actually makes Hibs teams perform more poorly than they might do otherwise. That is what is happening at the moment IMO. On the player ratings thread - if we added a mark for the fans - I'd give a 1.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Sorry but for me the OP is self indulgent tosh. I have been following this club for more than 30 years and on average the chips are either down or on the way down. It is at least two if not three generations since the chips were consistently up,

erskine-hibby
30-10-2013, 11:25 PM
I accept that completely. But we have to ask ourselves whether or not any action we, as fans, are taking is actually effective. There are places for criticism (such as here for example) and behind closed doors. There are also different ways to put pressure on the board and I don't agree with any behaviour that actually makes Hibs teams perform more poorly than they might do otherwise. That is what is happening at the moment IMO. On the player ratings thread - if we added a mark for the fans - I'd give a 1.
Maybe for tonight, but overall I would give hibs fans 11/10 for following the team so long, with all the crap they have endured over the last few years.
Personally I would like to see big changes at the club starting with Petrie and Fenlon and if protesting at the games brings this about, or if we have to endure crowds of > 5000, then so be it.
This is OUR club, NOT Petries or anyone elses, OURS. It's time they took notice of that.

Speedy
30-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Sorry mate but this is a terrible post. As others have pointed out the fans have constantly backed the club. Not just in the last fews years but even going back to us getting relegated in 98 and still getting huge gates in the first division.

We honestly must be one of the worst treated set of fans in the country based on our support for the team and the success we get on the park as a result. Success maybe isn't even the right word, its not just winning games but how we go out playing our game and what we give back (or fail to give back) to the supporters in that way.

We're dire right now and can barely muster a shot on target against halfway decent SPL teams. I paid for myself and my girlfriend to go along against Aberdeen and that was £44 gone to watch a team that doesn't/can't attack and doesn't seem concerned about offering any kind of entertainment to their supporters. I never thought I'd look back at the days of Bobby Williamson with nostalgia but thats how I feel at the moment.

That is just unacceptable and the fans are at the stage now where I think we have every right to be negative about the team, the manager and the club.

The economy is in the tank at the moment, decent jobs are hard to come by, wages are stagnant and with loads of high quality football available on TV these days the club has to do more than just rely on loyalty to keep its supporters. Folk always talk about Petrie being a businessman. Well his current business model is broken and unsustainable.

I'm getting to the stage where I cant justify spending money that should be going towards a flat or a car on going to ER every 2nd week to watch us fail to muster a shot at goal.

It's not about financial support. It's about people booing and shouting "McPake you're f'in *****" 10 minutes into a game.

You'll get more money if you have an extra 5000 doing that but it won't help the team on the day.

Simmyalva
30-10-2013, 11:47 PM
During the 80s we had Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hearts 86 playing good football and as a fan base we we relished these games and any points we took from them.
Along came the 90s and the Rangers revolution which in my opinion killed Scottish football and our expectations became higher when we had a mediocrity team to say the least. We got relegated and signed some great players and enjoyed our football, however this nearly killed us off. We have become a club with a more solid base ( stadium, Training facility) than everyone outside the ugly sisters, but it ain't working for us.
tonight is the proof there is a fan base there and a win tonight might have seen a 20000 crowd on New Year's Day, I don't know what the answer is, but I hope there is one just around the corner.

Twa Cairpets
31-10-2013, 12:07 AM
OK.
Setting some points out first:
1) This isn't blaming fans solely for our failings tonight or in the past
2) This isn't a comment on Fenlon or Petrie
3) This is a support of the OP's take on the way we can be, and were tonight.

- The utter crap I heard around me tonight was, frankly, embarrassing. Some guy screaming about "all this sideways sh*te", then when a ball is humped forward it's whats the "point of that ya f****** C***. I cant believe some of these guys ever watch football, such is there ludicrous lack of understanding of what is going on.

- Vine - not the best player in the world for sure, but what he didn't do tonight was hide. Yet every time he did something that wasn't miraculous guys were screaming at him for being crap.

- I dont think I've ever heard a crowd actively booing a player for missing a chance. Unbelievable. I don't think I've ever heard that anywhere I've been.

- James Collins - young guy, clearly with potential, has had confidence removed from him, and for a large part this is directly the fans fault, who were screaming at him for not being Messi causing him to try too hard or just make the wrong decisions.

If any of these "I'll pay my money I'll shout what I want" muppets don't think their actions have a direct impact on the people they claim to support, they need to have a serious word with themselves.

Hibercelona
31-10-2013, 12:22 AM
For the first 25 minutes of the game, I thought things were very positive. The players were doing things right and the fans we're getting right behind the team.

But then the odd mistake began to creep in on the park and it was followed up by quite a few over-reactions from the crowd, which then led to even more mistakes being made and the team reverting back to the usual negative p!sh that we've been subjected to for so long.

Once Hearts snatched the goal, you got the general feeling that the game was already over. The positive attitude of the first 25 minutes just went completely. Fans were no longer feeling positive and players were no longer feeling positive.

This is an issue thats plagued ER for quite some time now.

And it's not that fans are to blame. It's just that we've seen such poor performances for so long, that even the slightest mistake is now highly scrutinized, which can severly dent the confidence of every player in a Hibs top. Players won't make runs, take on players and take any risks, if they're petrified of making any mistakes.

Emerald
31-10-2013, 12:23 AM

:agree:

Nakedmanoncrack
31-10-2013, 12:51 AM
Some utter drivel on this, unbelievable. Last night was disgraceful, yet some people manage to turn it round to blame those who are critical of the shambles our club has become.

Saorsa
31-10-2013, 12:55 AM

Supporting Hibs doesn't just mean turning up and cheering when it's nil nil or Hibs are in front - it means' supporting the team when the chips are down. Hibs fans just don't do that.Any negativity at this club starts right at the top with the ***** that own/run it

Bishop Hibee
31-10-2013, 12:59 AM

Rubbish. Hibs fans have had enough as they did when Miller was finally chased, Duffy and Calderclown. We are all proud to be Hibees and the real fans will not put up with our club being left to stagnate. Petrie and Fenlon out!

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2013, 01:53 AM

If you paid £20 for a nice meal and you were brought a plate with a huge steaming turd on it would you compliment the chef or hud yer nose?

If over the last 30 years the fans have at times been a tad negative it might have something to do with the fact that more than most we have been let down by our club.

The difference is that through it all we still come back for more and as far as I can see that puts us up there with the best fans around. I'm not saying that you dont have a point ... perhaps you do .... but as far as I can see theres only two answers here. 1) Instead of booing everybody stops going. Then we might win the league. 2 ) Hibs take some action to address the 30 years of mediocrity they have served up and give the fans something to ****ing well cheer about.

The cheer when the chips are down is a two way street thing ..... If the fans see an obvious effort to pull back a deficit they will get behind the team. I've seen it many times. If there appears to be no effort and no craft or guile on show to suggest that there is a way back they will sit on their hands or worse.

Tonight was a perfect example .... as soon as the Yams went a goal up I was certain that we wouldnt pull it around and I was right. I still shouted and cheered the team on coz its what I do. But there were just too many folk in that stadium tonight who had seen the whole sorry sight before and could see what was coming ..... It just knocks the stuffing out of a support sometimes.

Baader
31-10-2013, 02:11 AM
It's gross mismanagement that has brought Hibs to its current nadir - not the fans.

4 home wins this year, a recession, a very difficult economic climate - given the state of play I think we are lucky to have as many attending as we do. And that is a thoroughly depressing thought...

Boyle89
31-10-2013, 03:54 AM
I was shouting and screaming like a loony at the game, and yes I did boo. I was also cheering my team on to win the game. You can't ask everyone to be positive for the whole game, as there are spells in the game that people will get annoyed at, such as mcpake red card or Craig's miss. After our recent results I don't blame ANYONE for booing! Yes the atmosphere might have died in the 2nd half but it's a two way street. We turn up for them (the players) time and time again and in great numbers so why can't they turn up for us just once?!!

SouthamptonHibs
31-10-2013, 04:04 AM
This is the worst Hibs manager in years at Hibs, the boy must be punted. Least Calderwood had the excuse that he had a crap team, Hibs have a good midfield but are disgusting up front

Pete
31-10-2013, 05:16 AM
During the 80s we had Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hearts 86 playing good football and as a fan base we we relished these games and any points we took from them.
Along came the 90s and the Rangers revolution which in my opinion killed Scottish football and our expectations became higher when we had a mediocrity team to say the least. We got relegated and signed some great players and enjoyed our football, however this nearly killed us off. We have become a club with a more solid base ( stadium, Training facility) than everyone outside the ugly sisters, but it ain't working for us.
tonight is the proof there is a fan base there and a win tonight might have seen a 20000 crowd on New Year's Day, I don't know what the answer is, but I hope there is one just around the corner.

I know where the OP is coming from and I think some of the reasons behind his historic thinking lie here. In the eighties and nineties we've had the new firm, overspending hearts and the old firm to deal with and it's usually been us coming worse off against them. The Mcleish team had the old firm in their prime to deal with. Mowbrays organically developed team had Romanovs fake hearts above them when it mattered. Since 2007 we have been mismanaged and have slumped below teams traditionally lower in the pecking order. Rangers and hearts are on their knees and the league is wide open...so are we finally making a break for it after years of developing an infrastructure? We're making a total **** of it.

It's pure and simple frustration. Nothing more, nothing less and it's totally understandable. We do get behind the team from the off and the backing is immense, even after all the stuff we have been through recently. I agree we've sometimes been quick to turn over the last 30 years but we aren't that different to any other club and until recently we never had any reputation. It's a combination of the historic stuff, the landmark bad results and the rubbish football that is to blame for the fans booing.

I also agree with the OP about negative energy having an effect on the pitch. As long as Fenlon continues we will have fans starting off the negative cycle at times when other clubs perhaps wouldn't. I genuinely believe that someone coming in with fresh ideas and a real footballing philosophy will have us onside and willing to forgive the odd mistake as long as there is a vision.

After two years of Pat being in charge, I still don't know what his footballing philosophy is. He's never said anything and he's produced no evidence of one. I presume he was brought in to save us from the drop and become hard to beat but I'm only guessing. On the other hand, I don't need anyone to tell me about the Patrick thistle managers philosophy. It's evident when they play.

When you think about it, we are the best fans in the bloody country. We're nothing like our spoon fed neighbours who have purchased (default) this idea that they are superior to teams around them.
Ingredients for success are now there: great fans, decent players and infrastructure. The board have to be given credit for some of that but the last pieces aren't there. They are a decent manager and a selection process to ensure that one is appointed.

There's negative energy alright but there's only one part of the team that can solve the problem and it certainly isn't the supporters. It isn't rocket science and shouldn't be that difficult.

Speedy
31-10-2013, 08:37 AM
If you paid £20 for a nice meal and you were brought a plate with a huge steaming turd on it would you compliment the chef or hud yer nose?

If over the last 30 years the fans have at times been a tad negative it might have something to do with the fact that more than most we have been let down by our club.

The difference is that through it all we still come back for more and as far as I can see that puts us up there with the best fans around. I'm not saying that you dont have a point ... perhaps you do .... but as far as I can see theres only two answers here. 1) Instead of booing everybody stops going. Then we might win the league. 2 ) Hibs take some action to address the 30 years of mediocrity they have served up and give the fans something to ****ing well cheer about.

The cheer when the chips are down is a two way street thing ..... If the fans see an obvious effort to pull back a deficit they will get behind the team. I've seen it many times. If there appears to be no effort and no craft or guile on show to suggest that there is a way back they will sit on their hands or worse.

Tonight was a perfect example .... as soon as the Yams went a goal up I was certain that we wouldnt pull it around and I was right. I still shouted and cheered the team on coz its what I do. But there were just too many folk in that stadium tonight who had seen the whole sorry sight before and could see what was coming ..... It just knocks the stuffing out of a support sometimes.

Your analogy doesn't work. The pile of ***** isn't changed by your actions. Abusing the players worsens what is already on offer.

erskine-hibby
31-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Your analogy doesn't work. The pile of ***** isn't changed by your actions. Abusing the players worsens what is already on offer.

It does if you send it back and ask for a new one.
Mind you if it were Petries restaurant he would just give you out more poo...as he does.

stanton_4
31-10-2013, 09:03 AM
You can bleat on all you like about having to put up with c**p for years. You can throw blame around at this manager or that chairman etc etc but the OP is 100% correct. I have been watching Hibs for the best part of 40 years and it's been the same the entire time. There is an element of the support at Easter Road who are all too quick to vent their frustrations by booing the team or an individual when things are going t**s up during a game. Continue to debate amongst yourselves whether this is justified or not but the fact remains that it is not productive in spurring the team on to do better. In my opinion it's not appropriate during the 90 minutes but then that's just my opinion. You pay your money you have your say. Players tell us time and time again how the positive support of the fans can be like a 12th man at times. If that's the case then the opposite must also be true.

erskine-hibby
31-10-2013, 09:06 AM
You can bleat on all you like about having to put up with c**p for years. You can throw blame around at this manager or that chairman etc etc but the OP is 100% correct. I have been watching Hibs for the best part of 40 years and it's been the same the entire time. There is an element of the support at Easter Road who are all too quick to vent their frustrations by booing the team or an individual when things are going t**s up during a game. Continue to debate amongst yourselves whether this is justified or not but the fact remains that it is not productive in spurring the team on to do better. In my opinion it's not appropriate during the 90 minutes but then that's just my opinion. You pay your money you have your say. Players tell us time and time again how the positive support of the fans can be like a 12th man at times. If that's the case then the opposite must also be true.

Don't think you will get an arguement there, but it is a two way street.

stanton_4
31-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Don't think you will get an arguement there, but it is a two way street.

So are you saying that there was a lack of effort last night? Cos from where I was sitting I didn't see that. What I saw was 30 minutes of really good football. Good goalkeeping and unlucky efforts. Then a goal very much against the run of play. Locke changed the tactics to cope with Hibs dominance. Fenlon did not respond to this. The team however still attempted to play football by playing the ball around and looking for openings. They continued to do this when the booing started. The big punts up the park began shortly after though when the crowds impatience grew and the booing became louder. Even then though I still saw effort from the players. Like I said in my opinion booing your team within the 90 minutes is inappropriate an ill-conceived. It is not, and can never be seen as conducive to encouraging good performance and enhanced effort. I understand the frustration though and the need to vent but why not save it for the final whistle? Then you can boo and berate all you like but please... not in the 90 minutes.

Winston Ingram
31-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Utter bollocks

It's a ****in miracle we still have anyone coming to the games at all after the last 5 years. This clearly must have been your 1st game in a while...

erskine-hibby
31-10-2013, 09:31 AM
So are you saying that there was a lack of effort last night? Cos from where I was sitting I didn't see that. What I saw was 30 minutes of really good football. Good goalkeeping and unlucky efforts. Then a goal very much against the run of play. Locke changed the tactics to cope with Hibs dominance. Fenlon did not respond to this. The team however still attempted to play football by playing the ball around and looking for openings. They continued to do this when the booing started. The big punts up the park began shortly after though when the crowds impatience grew and the booing became louder. Even then though I still saw effort from the players. Like I said in my opinion booing your team within the 90 minutes is inappropriate an ill-conceived. It is not, and can never be seen as conducive to encouraging good performance and enhanced effort. I understand the frustration though and the need to vent but why not save it for the final whistle? Then you can boo and berate all you like but please... not in the 90 minutes.

I think the club has, for years, taken us for granted. In many cases sticking the two fingers up at us, so why shouldn't people vent their anger at what, despite what you say, was pretty poor fare last night. Whether it be at the ground on match day, or outside during the week, there is never going to be a good place to protest, but that is the nature of it.

Onion
31-10-2013, 09:37 AM

These are unusual times. The Hibs supporters have frankly had enough. 5 horrible years of turgid, losing football does that. If we got the sense that the club was concerned, annoyed or embarrassed about the SCF, Malmo, Yams (1-0), Yams (0-1) and all the dreadful performances in between, then at least we'd know there was someone looking to put things right. What we get is complete silence from the Board, platitudes from he Manager and zero from the owner. We are alone. IMHO Hibs fans are the ONLY ones who care about our club. The rest are systematically killing it through incompetence, neglect and through their own low personal standards. The players get the brunt of it, but most of the protest/boooing is aimed at Fenlon and Petrie.

stanton_4
31-10-2013, 10:14 AM
I think the club has, for years, taken us for granted. In many cases sticking the two fingers up at us, so why shouldn't people vent their anger at what, despite what you say, was pretty poor fare last night. Whether it be at the ground on match day, or outside during the week, there is never going to be a good place to protest, but that is the nature of it.

You may be right about the club and to be fair some of the football in the second half lacked basic skill and invention (predominantly from Vine who in my opinion will never be a decent footballer) but I still saw effort, even from him. 56% possession, 12 shots at goal with 5 on target looks to me like the match stats back me up. Overall the team is better than last season with one crucial difference. No Leigh Griffiths. To be fair to Fenlon was never going to get anyone to fill his boots. But back to last night. If it was me I would have hooked Vine early doors and played Zoubir up front with Collins or even changing the front two and having Zoubir and Caldwell up front for the second half. I did not see the point in taking off Taiwo for Caldwell. Granted Taiwo's creativity was lacking and his distribution was woeful at times but he did give 100% effort and is a ball winner. But hey... I only played Sunday league so what do I know?

Hibercelona
31-10-2013, 10:17 AM
You may be right about the club and to be fair some of the football in the second half lacked basic skill and invention (predominantly from Vine who in my opinion will never be a decent footballer) but I still saw effort, even from him. 56% possession, 12 shots at goal with 5 on target looks to me like the match stats back me up. Overall the team is better than last season with one crucial difference. No Leigh Griffiths. To be fair to Fenlon was never going to get anyone to fill his boots. But back to last night. If it was me I would have hooked Vine early doors and played Zoubir up front with Collins or even changing the front two and having Zoubir and Caldwell up front for the second half. I did not see the point in taking off Taiwo for Caldwell. Granted Taiwo's creativity was lacking and his distribution was woeful at times but he did give 100% effort and is a ball winner. But hey... I only played Sunday league so what do I know?

5 shots on target against a crippled under 21s Hearts side at home?

Anything below 50 is an embarrassment.

stanton_4
31-10-2013, 10:25 AM
5 shots on target against a crippled under 21s Hearts side at home?

Anything below 50 is an embarrassment.

Nonsense. I agree it should have been more but lets not exaggerate.

erskine-hibby
31-10-2013, 10:29 AM

You don't have to have played at professional club level to see the deficiencies in our squad.
I agree with your changes you would have made, but I also think that playing hearts 'd' team we should have pretty much walked it with the team on the pitch. Maybe they thought that too and that, if true, is a problem of attitude and that is a problem for the manager.

Hibrandenburg
31-10-2013, 11:00 AM
OK.

- The utter crap I heard around me tonight was, frankly, embarrassing. Some guy screaming about "all this sideways sh*te", then when a ball is humped forward it's whats the "point of that ya f****** C***. I cant believe some of these guys ever watch football, such is there ludicrous lack of understanding of what is going on.

- Vine - not the best player in the world for sure, but what he didn't do tonight was hide. Yet every time he did something that wasn't miraculous guys were screaming at him for being crap.

- I dont think I've ever heard a crowd actively booing a player for missing a chance. Unbelievable. I don't think I've ever heard that anywhere I've been.

- James Collins - young guy, clearly with potential, has had confidence removed from him, and for a large part this is directly the fans fault, who were screaming at him for not being Messi causing him to try too hard or just make the wrong decisions.

If any of these "I'll pay my money I'll shout what I want" muppets don't think their actions have a direct impact on the people they claim to support, they need to have a serious word with themselves.

Notice no one has tried to pick holes in this, probably because it's all true.

Hibs fans have always liked a good moan, I can remember thinking as a kid that that's why some folks went to the fitbaw. As soon as I was old enough to go to the games without my old man I couldn't get away from the old stand quick enough because of all the auld moaning faced gits in there, and this was whilst watching Turnbull's Tornadoes. I moved into the east terrace where the mob there used to take out their frustration on visiting fans and shop windows instead of the team.

It's always been the same at Hibs, it's just the intensity varies depending on the perceived success of what's happening down on the lawn.

Some criticise me for what they see as lack of ambition when I say I've come to accept our mediocrity with a few flash in the pan success stories but it's probably just my way of dealing with having green blood without going nuts.

steakbake
31-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Agree with a lot if this.

The bit in particular: Locke changed the tactics and Fenlon didn't. This is his biggest undoing as our manager - a failure to change the set up in response to the conditions of the game.

I was surprised by the fact he made a sub at or around the hour mark. He normally sets the team up, keeps it unchanged for 80 minutes then makes a pensive often slow substitution with a few minutes to go leaving the players to pick up scraps in the dying moments of the game.

Not good enough, I'm afraid. No plan B, or plan C-Z.

Hibercelona
31-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Nonsense. I agree it should have been more but lets not exaggerate.

Not exaggerating. We were up against a joke outfit.

If we were up to the standards that Hibs should be at, we'd have torn them a new hole.

silverhibee
31-10-2013, 12:00 PM

Are you for f***in real, it's the board players manager that are the negative tossers, not the Hibs fans.

As others have said, think your on the wind up here.

And come the next home game and that little prick is still in charge there won't be enough fans in the ground to give of any negativity.

Starting from the top.

I blame ST(stay away) F.

I blame Rod(no comment) Petrie and the rest of the Board.

I blame Pat (boring negative) Fenlon

One thing i won't do is blame the fans, well and truly stuck by this club through thick and thin, no blame at all should be laid at the feet of the Hibs fans who turn out week after week to watch this pish.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Oh good, the old blame the fans crap.

The players? Yes The manager? Oh defo. The people that are NOT to blame for that pish are the fans that turn up and pay their money to suffer that embarrassment.

Sums it up perfectly.

Speedy
31-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Are you for f***in real, it's the board players manager that are the negative tossers, not the Hibs fans.

As others have said, think your on the wind up here.

And come the next home game and that little prick is still in charge there won't be enough fans in the ground to give of any negativity.

Starting from the top.

I blame ST(stay away) F.

I blame Rod(no comment) Petrie and the rest of the Board.

I blame Pat (boring negative) Fenlon

One thing i won't do is blame the fans, well and truly stuck by this club through thick and thin, no blame at all should be laid at the feet of the Hibs fans who turn out week after week to watch this pish.

Do you think it helps the team when people boo and shout abuse at the players?

number 27
31-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Do you think it helps them when we turn up in numbers, cheer, clap and sing?

Results and performances suggest not.

Hibercelona
31-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Do you think it helps any team when fans boo and shout abuse at players?

Because every team has it!

Speedy
31-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Do you think it helps any team when fans boo and shout abuse at players?

Because every team has it!

No I don't. So why would it help us?

WhileTheChief..
31-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Once again folk on here blaming the fans. Total crap.

I dread to think where we would be as a club if the fans hadn't been as supportive as hey have been the last few years.

Not once have I heard chants of feon must go or whatever. Any other clubs fans would have had the manager removed ages ago.

We're too damn soft as a support and if anything more anger is required until we get the necessary change.

If you're not happy with fans showing their emotions then go do something else.

Those of you who think we are over reacting are part of the damn problem.

Deansy
31-10-2013, 07:48 PM

It's against human-nature to cheer on shows of stupidity, cowardice, lack of spirit etc - history shows that displays like that are booed.

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2013, 09:02 PM

Yeh well .. probably not .. whatever.

But if we are talking historically then lets not pretend that this reaction to last nights game, which I presume prompted Lanza's post in the first place, has anything to do with last night. Taken in isolation the fact is that in any 7 out of 10 of the last 30 seasons we would have taken comfort in the fact that last nights result was footballing theft and we were the better team by a distance. Thats a fact.

The problem is that last nights game was the fuse waiting to be lit to the pile of Dynamite which has been our last 5 seasons. These negative fans he has chosen now to criticise have, especially over the last two years, been an utter credit to not only Hibs but to the very concept of the loyal football fan.

Following the realisation of every football fans worst nightmare in 2012 the fans still turned up at Easter Road in hardly less numbers than the previous poor season which had been preceeded by the terrible season before it.

They also turned up in frankly amazing numbers for the Hearts Killie and Falkirk cup matches and from beginning to end in the Scottish Cup final stuck by the players, culminating in the most fantastic show of support for a beaten team I have ever been part of. That was criticised by some as a misplaced show of stoic loyalty at the time .. maybe it was, but it still happened.

Then along comes the Malmo game .... 16,000 treated to as abysmal a capitulation as has ever been witnessed from a Hibs team in any game in the whole of the near 130 year history of the club.

Then last night ... yet another brilliant turn out ... yet another chance for the Yams fans to celebrate at our place .. quite frankly you would think the novelty would have worn off by now given the number of times it has happened, but bless em they never seem to tire of it.

There might be something in what Lanza says ... I personally dont agree that for 30 years Hibs have been buried under waves of bad vibes eminating from the stands ... yes it happens, but not to the extent that he says in my opinion.

One thing I do know ..... The timing of his post sucked .... sorry.

jakeshibs
31-10-2013, 09:05 PM

I agree god bless the Hibs!

Speedy
31-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Yeh well .. probably not .. whatever.

But if we are talking historically then lets not pretend that this reaction to last nights game, which I presume prompted Lanza's post in the first place, has anything to do with last night. Taken in isolation the fact is that in any 7 out of 10 of the last 30 seasons we would have taken comfort in the fact that last nights result was footballing theft and we were the better team by a distance. Thats a fact.

The problem is that last nights game was the fuse waiting to be lit to the pile of Dynamite which has been our last 5 seasons. These negative fans he has chosen now to criticise have, especially over the last two years, been an utter credit to not only Hibs but to the very concept of the loyal football fan.

Following the realisation of every football fans worst nightmare in 2012 the fans still turned up at Easter Road in hardly less numbers than the previous poor season which had been preceeded by the terrible season before it.

They also turned up in frankly amazing numbers for the Hearts Killie and Falkirk cup matches and from beginning to end in the Scottish Cup final stuck by the players, culminating in the most fantastic show of support for a beaten team I have ever been part of. That was criticised by some as a misplaced show of stoic loyalty at the time .. maybe it was, but it still happened.

Then along comes the Malmo game .... 16,000 treated to as abysmal a capitulation as has ever been witnessed from a Hibs team in any game in the whole of the near 130 year history of the club.

Then last night ... yet another brilliant turn out ... yet another chance for the Yams fans to celebrate at our place .. quite frankly you would think the novelty would have worn off by now given the number of times it has happened, but bless em they never seem to tire of it.

There might be something in what Lanza says ... I personally dont agree that for 30 years Hibs have been buried under waves of bad vibes eminating from the stands ... yes it happens, but not to the extent that he says in my opinion.

One thing I do know ..... The timing of his post sucked .... sorry.

Yes the fans turn up, and they deserve credit for that, but many have booed and shouted abuse at the fans over the last 2 years. It even led to fans fighting amongst ourselves at the Falkirk game but then after half time there was a lift in spirits and then a goal and further lift from the fans and so on.

It's a cycle; abuse leads to poor performance and poor performance leads to abuse. The fans can only control one part of that and if they accept that abusing the players has an adverse effect on the team then they should accept some of the blame if they choose to do it.

Speedy
31-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Do you think it helps them when we turn up in numbers, cheer, clap and sing?

Results and performances suggest not.

Missed this earlier. I don't think anyone could suggest it makes things worse.

It certainly makes the match day experience better. I'd much rather be in a crowd that's enjoying themselves than not.

silverhibee
31-10-2013, 10:26 PM

If it's getting to the players then maybe time for a job change for them, they should be concentrating about what's happening on the pitch and not what is being said in the stands.

Just to let you know i don't abuse any of our players during the game, i go round to the car park to do that. :wink: :greengrin

Paisley Hibby
31-10-2013, 10:45 PM
OK.

Top post mate :top marks

Speedy
01-11-2013, 08:38 AM
If it's getting to the players then maybe time for a job change for them, they should be concentrating about what's happening on the pitch and not what is being said in the stands.

Just to let you know i don't abuse any of our players during the game, i go round to the car park to do that. :wink: :greengrin

Is that a no? Nobody seems to be answering the question.