PDA

View Full Version : Dundee Hibs and others

Miguel
28-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Was watching a YouTube vid of Ian Wood giving a talk to the St Pat's branch. He mentioned how there were many teams in Scotland who took our name. The obvious one is Dundee Hibernian. The only current one I can think of is the Fife junior team Thornton Hibs. Anyone know others from past/present?

Davy Mac
28-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Was watching a YouTube vid of Ian Wood giving a talk to the St Pat's branch. He mentioned how there were many teams in Scotland who took our name. The obvious one is Dundee Hibernian. The only current one I can think of is the Fife junior team Thornton Hibs. Anyone know others from past/present?

I'm sure there was/is a team called Cambuslang Hibs also there is a team in Kirkintilloch that play in Hibs strips.

Although born in Leith I have many family connections from Glasgow and you'll be quite surprised how many Hibs fans there was in Glasgow at one time, particularly through the 50's, 60's and early 70's.

Spike Mandela
28-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Edina Hibs
Duntocher Hibs

The Harp
28-10-2013, 11:07 PM
In Alan Lugton's 1st book he mentions how we - helped inspirationally and financially to found clubs such as Glasgow Hibernian, Paisley Hibernian, Cambuslang Hibernian, and Springburn Hibernian.

Spike Mandela
28-10-2013, 11:08 PM
On a more global note check out these guys by the way...

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/tokyohibernian/112440/Home

Tokyo Hibernian FC were founded in 1998, combined by two teams, the Albion FC and Tokyo Irish. The club has won 5 Championships and 4 Cups in the TML, and have been finishing in the Top 3 every season since TML started. The uniqueness of the club is that we have a good mix of all kinds of nationalities and the strength of the team is we are very united as a group.

Miguel
28-10-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm sure there was/is a team called Cambuslang Hibs also there is a team in Kirkintilloch that play in Hibs strips.

Although born in Leith I have many family connections from Glasgow and you'll be quite surprised how many Hibs fans there was in Glasgow at one time, particularly through the 50's, 60's and early 70's.
I have heard that. Think there was a remnant of the pre Celtic Hibs support and others who just picked up on team for no reason other than liking the strip or the name! I knew a few guys like that in the 90s.

Davy Mac
28-10-2013, 11:30 PM
I have heard that. Think there was a remnant of the pre Celtic Hibs support and others who just picked up on team for no reason other than liking the strip or the name! I knew a few guys like that in the 90s.

Absolutely, sadly our west coast support has wained over the years with a successful Celtic team but there was many fans who were empathetic, traditionalist and nostalgic for what Hibs stood for.

I also seem to recall a strong Motherwell Hibs branch, some of my family were from Wishaw and they were Hibs fans.

GGTTH

monktonharp
28-10-2013, 11:56 PM

were Lochee Harp not a slight offshoot?

monktonharp
29-10-2013, 12:01 AM
see Leamington Hibs. ....they have a website. based in Leamington spa Warwickshire. I've been in the Irish club there and a great wee place.dont know if the boys teams run from there though(L.Hibs)

cabbageandribs1875
29-10-2013, 12:31 AM
scottish junior cup final winners

1895-96 - Cambuslang Hibs

1927-28- Maryhill Hibs

1930-31- Denny Hibs

there's also an Amateur team called Port Glasgow Hibs

and Malta Hibs of course :)

and a Maltese wummin's basketball team called Hibs Medsea :)

monktonharp
29-10-2013, 12:37 AM
scottish junior cup final winners

1895-96 - Cambuslang Hibs

1927-28- Maryhill Hibs

1930-31- Denny Hibs

there's also an Amateur team called Port Glasgow Hibsthank god for that. here's me thinking the last time Hibs won a Scottish cup was 1902.wait till I see that f/kin brother-in-law of mine!

cabbageandribs1875
29-10-2013, 12:38 AM
thank god for that. here's me thinking the last time Hibs won a Scottish cup was 1902.wait till I see that f/kin brother-in-law of mine!

:greengrin

IWasThere2016
29-10-2013, 04:49 AM
On a more global note check out these guys by the way...

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/tokyohibernian/112440/Home

Tokyo Hibernian FC were founded in 1998, combined by two teams, the Albion FC and Tokyo Irish. The club has won 5 Championships and 4 Cups in the TML, and have been finishing in the Top 3 every season since TML started. The uniqueness of the club is that we have a good mix of all kinds of nationalities and the strength of the team is we are very united as a group.

Something no right there..

They're far too successful to use the Hibs brand!

Lucius Apuleius
29-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Denny Hibs long gone unfortunately. They could have saved me a lot of travel evrery week. :-)

lapsedhibee
29-10-2013, 08:07 AM

Two possible reasons at the start of that period ...

(1) Famous Five

(2) League Titles - was there was a time when glory hunters followed US?

Waxy
29-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Glasgow Hibs. They even play in hoops like we did before them.

lord bunberry
29-10-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm not so sure all these teams names are anything to do with us, I'm sure I read on here that there used to be hibs clubs all over the country, I suspect in alot of cases the names are derived from them rather than us.

Jonnyboy
29-10-2013, 07:22 PM
There's a story that Aberdeen FC's creation was down to Hibs. Apparently, Hibs were seriously thinking of relocating to Aberdeen and when that news reached the city, clubs got together and formed Aberdeen Football Club.

Got that info from Alan Lugton's books and have no reason to doubt it

LancsHibs
29-10-2013, 07:36 PM
There's a story that Aberdeen FC's creation was down to Hibs. Apparently, Hibs were seriously thinking of relocating to Aberdeen and when that news reached the city, clubs got together and formed Aberdeen Football Club.

Got that info from Alan Lugton's books and have no reason to doubt it

Not disputing but what would have been our motive for thinking about relocating to Aberdeen?? Our existing support would have been lost, at the turn of the last century a journey to Aberdeen was a long one! Can't imagine that there was a large Irish community there:confused:

Jonnyboy
29-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Not disputing but what would have been our motive for thinking about relocating to Aberdeen?? Our existing support would have been lost, at the turn of the last century a journey to Aberdeen was a long one! Can't imagine that there was a large Irish community there:confused:

I'd have to go back and read it through again to be sure but I think it was to do with the Edinburgh establishment making life impossible

Viva_Palmeiras
29-10-2013, 07:41 PM
I'd have to go back and read it through again to be sure but I think it was to do with the Edinburgh establishment making life impossible

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Hibernia Na Eir
29-10-2013, 08:48 PM

think there were something like 30 odd Hibs in this country at one point.