PDA

View Full Version : 22 years ago today..

Jamesie
27-10-2013, 07:46 AM
...Murdo MacLeod lifted the League Cup for us at Hampden. Scary how the time goes by so quickly - I had just turned 11 earlier in the week and it was my first trip to Hampden, which was an entirely different stadium from what it is today.

Can still remember going down to the shops for sweets to take to the game and seeing the open top bus going along Portobello High Street early on the Sunday morning, hours before kick off, which just added to the whole excitement of the day!

tartanhibee
27-10-2013, 08:03 AM
I was 12 at the time and remember the clocks also had went back that day and it taking forever before we had to leave. Football is very different today than it was back then. My favourite memory as a hibs fan as my hero at the time Keith Wright made sure the cup was ours.

magpie1892
27-10-2013, 08:17 AM
I had so much to drink in that flat-roofed boozer before the match I had to hold onto a concrete stanchion for most of the match (the folly of youth).

I do remember we won though.

andy1875
27-10-2013, 08:28 AM
I was 7 at the time an it was my first trip to Hampden. Fond memories of getting a flag before the game, and the coach going back along Princes Street with loads of Hibbys already on the pavements, dancing and drinking the night away.

I also found a couple of photos from the Celtic Supporters Club before the game when I got a photo taken with a Teenage Mutant Hero Turtle outfit. Good times all round.

Can't believe that was 22 years ago, getting old!!

MSK
27-10-2013, 08:30 AM
I was night shift with Tennents Breweries that Sunday night after the game..never slept a wink on the Sat because of the excitement, think I floated through my shift on the Sun ..don't think I could manage that nowadays ..

Hibrandenburg
27-10-2013, 08:39 AM
I was on a mountain top on the Falklands, had to wait about 3 weeks for the video to arrive that my old man sent me. Still remember the hangover from the Chilean beer we'd been supplied with.

Eyrie
27-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Half a lifetime ago for me today, but a great birthday present.

Pretty Boy
27-10-2013, 09:46 AM
I was 5 at the time.

Don't remember much but can remember ER being absolutely packed in the evening and the place absolutely bouncing.

22 years ago.......i'm getting old.

Glory Lurker
27-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Was totally sober until getting back to Edinburgh, so remember it well!

A lot of the game was scrappy, both teams were really cagey and nervous but it didn't matter a jot when Keith Keith Keith buried the second. Hammy almost scored a cracker of a third from a free kick.

Atmosphere on the train back was really subdued. I don't think anyone could believe what had just happened, even though we'd been favourites. To have been so close to folding a few months before made it a bit surreal.

Immeasurably better than my first Hibs-at-Hampden experience, which was 28 years ago today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyy81cjv7Fo :boo hoo:

Zorro
27-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Always fondly remember the 27th October! Like others it was my first experience of Hibs winning a cup. I was 19 and remember dancing on a bar at the top of Easter Road after the parade, and the pic of the Sherlock Holmes statue with the Hibs scarf round its neck in the paper the next day! That was some hangover...

Keith_M
27-10-2013, 11:22 AM
I remember standing in the North Terrace, nearest the Dunfermline end, and the terracing getting fuller, and fuller, and fuller..... I'd honestly never seen so many Hibs fans in my life. The sense of expectation and atmosphere was incredible.

I was very nervous after the scrappy first half but when we got the penalty, the Hibs end just erupted and the noise was just amazing all the way through to the parading of the Cup.

Because Hampden was mostly open terrace in those days, you don't get a proper sense of the atmosphere when watching re-runs on video. The noise didn't travel over to the camera side in the Main Stand. Actually being in the terracing was a different matter entirely and it would have been even more amazing if it had been all covered, like stadia today.

lord bunberry
27-10-2013, 11:27 AM
The best part of the day was the open topped bus parading the cup, it was absolute bedlam. One of the happiest days I've had supporting the hibs.

LancsHibs
27-10-2013, 02:01 PM
What a magic day! I was 20 it was the first time I had seen Hibs lift a major trophy, sadly I have only witnessed this one further time:pray:

sleeping giant
27-10-2013, 02:06 PM
I was 19 and travelled through on club 85 bus from Wester Hailes. Nearly didn't get in due to the massive crowd.
Can see me on the telly :-)

Keith_M
27-10-2013, 02:49 PM
After a 19 year period of stagnation, including relegation, and regular thumping a at Hamoden, a mediocre Hibs team cheered up a small number of fans by lifting the league cup. (Is this right)

Take a lesson from history you whining wee toe rags. That was a hard time to go through. You've never had it so good.

Go and troll somewhere else.

Hiber-nation
27-10-2013, 02:52 PM
After a 19 year period of stagnation, including relegation, and regular thumping a at Hamoden, a mediocre Hibs team cheered up a small number of fans by lifting the league cup. (Is this right)

Take a lesson from history you whining wee toe rags. That was a hard time to go through. You've never had it so good.

:wtf:

Phil D. Rolls
27-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Go and troll somewhere else.

Sorry.

:wtf:

See the above. Sorry.

theonlywayisup
27-10-2013, 03:12 PM
My first cup final. I thought that they would all be like that.

Unfortunately, three League Cups and three Scottish Cups later has rewarded me with only one more win.

Phil D. Rolls
27-10-2013, 03:17 PM
First trophy as a Hibs supporter (too wee in 1972 to go on my own). It was as sweet as it was unexpected.

I turned 18 in 1979. I thought this was my time to follow Hibs around Europe, now I was working and grown up.

Of course, that's not the way my 20s panned out. We were relegated in 79/80, and even though we bounced back the next season, things were never the same.

For one thing, Tom Hart had stopped bankrolling the club. For another, Alex Ferguson had set out his stall by winning the league the season before. Ironically, by crushing us at Easter Road on the last day.

Scottis Football, and me were in a strange place. The surreal nature of events was to take a further twist in 1983. I had always believed that though ewe would never win the league, we would always be better than Hearts.

The world changed forever that season. We not only failed to beat them, they qualified for Europe - our spiritual home in my mind.

Over the coming years we struggled, not only to keep up with Hearts, but to stay in the league. Sure there was a reminder of what might have been in 1985, when Fergie trounced us again in a league cup final. Hibs though, we're not at the races.

Things looked set to change when Duff and Grey announced ground breaking news that we were to float on the stock exchange. The only thing that came close to breaking was the club.

The fact that we played at all in season 1991-92, was enough to celebrate. To win a trophy was the stuff of dreams.

We were the Team That Wouldn't Die. I can't speak for others of my age, but for me the events of that season, are the cornerstone of my Hibs supporting ambitions.

Maybe I was just at the right age to temper the joy of victory, with the realities of life. It was one of the best days of my life, I'll never forget the grin on Gordon Hubter's face as the open topped bus whiz zed doom Leith Street.

Keith_M
27-10-2013, 04:34 PM
First trophy as a Hibs supporter (too wee in 1972 to go on my own). It was as sweet as it was unexpected.

Maybe I was just at the right age to temper the joy of victory, with the realities of life. It was one of the best days of my life, I'll never forget the grin on Gordon Hubter's face as the open topped bus whiz zed doom Leith Street.

:thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
27-10-2013, 04:47 PM
:thumbsup:

:aok:

KeithTheHibby
27-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I always thought that final was a bit of an anti-climax as the pars were so poor that we were expected to win.

However first time I had seen my team lift a trophy and looking back a truly magical day all round.

Hiber-nation
27-10-2013, 05:20 PM

I turned 18 in 1979. I thought this was my time to follow Hibs around Europe, now I was working and grown up.

Of course, that's not the way my 20s panned out. We were relegated in 79/80, and even though we bounced back the next season, things were never the same.

For one thing, Tom Hart had stopped bankrolling the club. For another, Alex Ferguson had set out his stall by winning the league the season before. Ironically, by crushing us at Easter Road on the last day.

Scottis Football, and me were in a strange place. The surreal nature of events was to take a further twist in 1983. I had always believed that though ewe would never win the league, we would always be better than Hearts.

The world changed forever that season. We not only failed to beat them, they qualified for Europe - our spiritual home in my mind.

Over the coming years we struggled, not only to keep up with Hearts, but to stay in the league. Sure there was a reminder of what might have been in 1985, when Fergie trounced us again in a league cup final. Hibs though, we're not at the races.

Things looked set to change when Duff and Grey announced ground breaking news that we were to float on the stock exchange. The only thing that came close to breaking was the club.

The fact that we played at all in season 1991-92, was enough to celebrate. To win a trophy was the stuff of dreams.

We were the Team That Wouldn't Die. I can't speak for others of my age, but for me the events of that season, are the cornerstone of my Hibs supporting ambitions.

:aok:

Billy McKirdy
27-10-2013, 05:54 PM
The first time, like many here, that I saw my Hibs lift a trophy, I was too young to go the Scottish cup final in 79 and was left disappointed after my first final in 1985 against Fergusons Aberdeen in the League cup.

Me and my friends hired a minibus and my Uncle who was over from Australia at the time and who used to watch the Famous Five with my old man going to away games on his motorbike in the 50s came along.

I remember that the game was pay at the gate and I mind being pissed off I wouldn't have a ticket stub as a momento but at least I got in as thousands who later turned up could get in, I seem to recall that a section of the east terracing was closed off and empty or did I just imagine this?

Everything about that day was something special, the game itself wasn't though, but we won and I couldn't care less, the journey back from Hampden on the motorway was something else though and when our bus hit Princes Street I got off and joined the crowds waiting for the team to return, there is a clip on Hibs video of that day of the bus passing the Wellington statue and then the camera panning round to the old GPO and there I am running alongside the bus delirious :greengrin

The guy who drove the bus was a workmate and not long after the final he got stopped by the police one day in his car and they checked his tax disc where they discovered he had pinched one of the company's bus tax discs to use in his car.
He got sacked after that :rolleyes:

An amazing day and the type of day that makes me proud to be a Hibby :flag:

Miguel
27-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Remember it like it was yesterday.
Rugby World Cup semi final with Scotland and England was day before at Murrayfield and people were paying silly money for tickets. My mate had won a couple and asked me to go with him. Was one of the most boring experiences of my life. That wonderful Sunday made up for it. Bag of nerves until we scored, but heaven for rest of an unforgettable day. Must have been 400,000 Hibbies there...

HibbyAndy
27-10-2013, 06:38 PM
I remember hibs fans getting turned away at the turnstyle as thousands descended on Hampden

hibbymick
27-10-2013, 06:48 PM
I ran a bus that day from the foot of leith walk, lots of mates and lots of randoms. It wasnt until I started collecting the money for the bus that I realised i had organised a day trip for quite a few leith hash heids, a very happy bus indeed :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-10-2013, 06:51 PM
We had 33k fans there that day with loads locked out.

The polis were an absolute shower of morons and at half time I went to the toilet and they wouldn't let me back down the terracing, I explained I had left my 8 year old son with my mate there but they wouldn't budge, I then collared an Inspector and he told the 2 erseholes to let me though, I swear had one of them said anything I would have done time!

Anywiy!

A lasting memory of my laddie going absolutely nuts when KW scored that second goal will live with me forever :agree: :not worth

Hamish
27-10-2013, 07:12 PM
I couldn't watch Tommy Mac's penalty and covered my eyes.

Cue specs doing a somersault and ending a couple of rows down.

Phil D. Rolls
27-10-2013, 07:35 PM
We had 33k fans there that day with loads locked out.

The polis were an absolute shower of morons and at half time I went to the toilet and they wouldn't let me back down the terracing, I explained I had left my 8 year old son with my mate there but they wouldn't budge, I then collared an Inspector and he told the 2 erseholes to let me though, I swear had one of them said anything I would have done time!

Anywiy!

A lasting memory of my laddie going absolutely nuts when KW scored that second goal will live with me forever :agree: :not worth

Me too, was on my knees, and it had nowt to do with drink!

I couldn't watch Tommy Mac's penalty and covered my eyes.

Cue specs doing a somersault and ending a couple of rows down.

Can't remember if I looked, or not. I suspect I didn't.

Albanian Hibs
27-10-2013, 07:38 PM
I was 11 and it was my first cup final. I was sitting in the family section of the main stand. I remember everything from that day and was in the stadium for them coming home with the cup. A date I will never forget.

Aldo
27-10-2013, 07:47 PM
I was 21 and was on leave from Navy. Remember the game but bus home to Livi and sesh after was monumental.

Remember waking up in the Monday afternoon thinking WTF.

70hibby
27-10-2013, 07:49 PM
It was my first ever Hibs game that my dad took me to... never stopped going since !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

HibbyAndy
27-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Brian Hamilton ratttled the post from a 35 yard free kiick.