PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell on Wednesday?

DaveF
26-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Why the hell not?

I'm not expecting a goal fest with the Collins \ Vine Combo and Caldwell seems to have the sign over the yams so chuck him in and see what happens.

I know Fenlon won't select him, but the thought of Vine and Collins up front won't be keeping the Hearts back line awake at night.

Aldo
26-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Why the hell not? I'm not expecting a goal fest with the Collins \ Vine Combo and Caldwell seems to have the sign over the yams so chuck him in and see what happens. I know Fenlon won't select him, but the thought of Vine and Collins up front won't be keeping the Hearts back line awake at night.

I posted in another thread about the U20's and if any of the strikers are in a position to step up to the plate. I know that they have been playing really well and scoring a few.

And Dave I fully expect to see Collins and Vine both starting on Wed.

SMAXXA
26-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Why the hell not?

I'm not expecting a goal fest with the Collins \ Vine Combo and Caldwell seems to have the sign over the yams so chuck him in and see what happens.

I know Fenlon won't select him, but the thought of Vine and Collins up front won't be keeping the Hearts back line awake at night.

What signs that like? Cause he scored once against them or am I missing other important goals in the derby?

typical hibs.net response to today and our first team players that a a bit older, lets play Caldwell who can't even make the bench this season.

hibee6
26-10-2013, 08:30 PM
caldwells not really had the game time to start and collins has been on the bench the last few games when he was coming into a bit form, hopefully collins will produce an outstanding display wednesday after today, would like to see an attacking 4-3-3 and right go at them right till the end. goal after goal can only hope suppose.

DaveF
26-10-2013, 08:31 PM
What signs that like? Cause he scored once against them or am I missing other important goals in the derby?

typical hibs.net response to today and our first team players that a a bit older, lets play Caldwell who can't even make the bench this season.

Obviously I didn't mean 1st team goals since he's only scored the one against them. He has a good scoring record at youth level and YES, I know it's different, but he's made it a bit of a habit so why not?

As for a typical response - It's a message board for debating points. Good or bad. If you don't like my post then put the case against it without the lazy sarcasm.

IberianHibernian
26-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Why the hell not?

I know Fenlon won't select him, but the thought of Vine and Collins up front won't be keeping the Hearts back line awake at night.Only reason for playing Caldwell is because there are no other options . Apart from the goal at Tynie in almost his only touch in the whole game , he hasn`t done much in the first team ( goal at Paisley perhaps ) and most of his recent goals for Under 20s seem to have been penalties . Alternatives ? Collins , Vine , Cainey , Handling , Zoubir , Cummings ( ? ) . Doesn`t look great so vital that Craig and Robertson get into scoring positions .

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Back in August Dave, he was the obvious choice to come on, couldnt believe he didn't get a chance then. But he's so far down the pecking order now and with only 5 subs can't see him being in the squad. But your right. Neither Collins nor Vine will really strike fear into the yams tbh.

SMAXXA
26-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Obviously I didn't mean 1st team goals since he's only scored the one against them. He has a good scoring record at youth level and YES, I know it's different, but he's made it a bit of a habit so why not?

As for a typical response - It's a message board for debating points. Good or bad. If you don't like my post then put the case against it without the lazy sarcasm.

Scoring in anything less than first team leve against a team doesn't make for Indian signs over a ten IMO. Not lazy sarcasm at all, there is no case, Collins and or vine play wouldn't even consider handling even although he is pearly he'd in the pecking order than Caldwell.

frazeHFC
26-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Was saying this today with my dad after the game, what the hell is keeping him away from the team? He came in last season and scored a couple of important goals, then seems to have completely disappeared. On Wednesday i'd play Collins and Handling at the start for what it's worth, really hope we can create some chances and actually take some of them!

SMAXXA
26-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Back in August Dave, he was the obvious choice to come on, couldnt believe he didn't get a chance then. But he's so far down the pecking order now and with only 5 subs can't see him being in the squad. But your right. Neither Collins nor Vine will really strike fear into the yams tbh.

aye and Ross would? :confused:

skipster7
26-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Not a patch on james collins tbh. He missed a sitter today but is a far better than Caldwell imo. Get some decent service/ crosses in and he might start scoring regularly.

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-10-2013, 08:45 PM
aye and Ross would? :confused:

Maybe not but Caldwell has scored loads of goals against those same Hearts players at different levels.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2013, 08:47 PM
He was all set to start in the SC final last year before Sparkys injury and now can barely make the bench.

Sums up Fenlons time in charge. Confusing.

AlbertK86
26-10-2013, 08:48 PM
I would definitely have Ross on bench

Think I would bench Zoubir and bring him on second half

Collins and handling up front for me with

Robbo thommo Craig Cairney

Behind them

Think Cairney if fit and playing like he did when he first signed could create a lot against the young naive upstarts

SMAXXA
26-10-2013, 08:50 PM
He was all set to start in the SC final last year before Sparkys injury and now can barely make the bench.

Sums up Fenlons time in charge. Confusing.

Lets he honest what options did we have last year?

how does it sum Fenlon up like? So the player takes no responsibility? I have yet to meet a manager that deliberately doesn't play a striker that would be playing and is one of his best options personally, or maybe I've not been in football long enough.

Andy74
26-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Caldwell has been poor in the under 20 games I've seen.

Tweeting or retweeting about the boss can't help.

Aldo
26-10-2013, 08:53 PM
I would definitely have Ross on bench Think I would bench Zoubir and bring him on second half Collins and handling up front for me with Robbo thommo Craig Cairney Behind them Think Cairney if fit and playing like he did when he first signed could create a lot against the young naive upstarts

I think that's a plan you have there Albert. Handling was playing quite well until his injury. Would be surprised if he brought Cairney in but can see TT in place of OTJ.

skipster7
difficult to asses any young striker in fenlons team because we simply barely create anything. from what ive seen off Caldwell so far with movement etc hes not ready imo

Jonnyboy

how does it sum Fenlon up like? So the player takes no responsibility? I have yet to meet a manager that deliberately doesn't play a striker that would be playing and is one of his best options personally, or maybe I've not been in football long enough.

There's been talk on here of Caldwell's attitude. Is that what you mean?

Hiber-nation
26-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Any striker would struggle in Fenlon's no-width, no pace line up. Only a special player like Griffiths who can create his own goals would flourish. Can't see Caldwell in the squad.

SMAXXA
26-10-2013, 09:10 PM
There's been talk on here of Caldwell's attitude. Is that what you mean?

It would be unfair to say this was the case solely but more to do with ability and application. In terms of what is in front of him there are much stronger all round options than Ross at the moment, I should say IMO.

I don't get why some fans seem to put all their hope on young lads who have shown little to nothing to warrant it, wever seen it with Wotherspoon, Caldwell, handling, Byrne etc and we seem to easily dismiss players that have been there and done a lot more, and yes I'm talking about the likes of vine and collins.

these young guys are no white knight, and fwiw I've not seen enough to believe any of the aforementioned have what it takes to really be a KT, DR, G O'C, SB etc. Harris is the only one I believe will do well, yet he needs time to develope and be a bit part player for us to allow that development imo

Jonnyboy
26-10-2013, 09:13 PM
It would be unfair to say this was the case solely but more to do with ability and application. In terms of what is in front of him there are much stronger all round options than Ross at the moment, I should say IMO.

I don't get why some fans seem to put all their hope on young lads who have shown little to nothing to warrant it, wever seen it with Wotherspoon, Caldwell, handling, Byrne etc and we seem to easily dismiss players that have been there and done a lot more, and yes I'm talking about the likes of vine and Caldwell.

these young guys are no white knight, and fwiw I've not seen enough to believe any of the aforementioned have what it takes to really be a KT, DR, G O'C, SB etc. Harris is the only one I believe will do well, yet he needs time to develope and be a bit part player for us to allow that development imo

Thanks for that answer :aok:

I agree 100% about the unrealistic level of expectation put on young players. Harris looks the business but earlier this season, just before his injury, some on here were calling him a one trick pony etc - unbelievable

Pete
26-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Any striker would struggle in Fenlon's no-width, no pace line up. Only a special player like Griffiths who can create his own goals would flourish. Can't see Caldwell in the squad.

:agree:

Up front isn't really where the problem lies. It's the service.

Aldo
26-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for that answer :aok: I agree 100% about the unrealistic level of expectation put on young players. Harris looks the business but earlier this season, just before his injury, some on here were calling him a one trick pony etc - unbelievable

That's cos the majority of folk couldnae spot a good player if they stood in front of them.

Harris was getting consistent and I think that's the hardest part for a young player, being consistent.

Harris played rely well last season but I think a lot of that was to do with Griffiths and his work rate and support.

Heff is at his best playing from the edge if the 18 yard box not the half way line. We miss Harris, his ability to beat players with his directness.

Once he's back I'm sure we will score a lot more and we will see the best of Collins

Jonnyboy
26-10-2013, 09:23 PM
That's cos the majority of folk couldnae spot a good player if they stood in front of them.

Harris was getting consistent and I think that's the hardest part for a young player, being consistent.

Harris played rely well last season but I think a lot of that was to do with Griffiths and his work rate and support.

Heff is at his best playing from the edge if the 18 yard box not the half way line. We miss Harris, his ability to beat players with his directness.

Once he's back I'm sure we will score a lot more and we will see the best of Collins

Hope you're right but it's a big ask for a kid still learning the game :agree:

Aldo
26-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Hope you're right but it's a big ask for a kid still learning the game :agree:

Sure is JB. Tbh he's the only player we have in the squad that has that bit of pace and directness.

Mind you Cairney is getting there.

Agree re there being a big responsibility but heay if your good enough and all that. Fingers crossed.

trev the hat
26-10-2013, 09:27 PM

I would expect this to have zero impact on team selection & would be disappointed should it do so.

Jonnyboy
26-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Sure is JB. Tbh he's the only player we have in the squad that has that bit of pace and directness.

Mind you Cairney is getting there.

Agree re there being a big responsibility but heay if your good enough and all that. Fingers crossed.

Getting fit yes and I'm happy about that but he has no pace either!

Andy74
26-10-2013, 09:40 PM

I would expect this to have zero impact on team selection & would be disappointed should it do so.

Why not? I'd probably be sacked for similar. Anyhow, in football terms he's not really got much argument either.

SMAXXA
26-10-2013, 09:41 PM

I wouldn't be so sure

Jonnyboy
26-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Why not? I'd probably be sacked for similar. Anyhow, in football terms he's not really got much argument either.

I've just read a tweet from Pat about Rod :wink::greengrin

trev the hat
26-10-2013, 09:58 PM

If this were an issue regarding a possible starting slot for RC it would say more about PF than any social media comment ever could.
In football terms with Heff ineligible there ain't no pecking order in terms of strikers IMO, I'd have Handling / Collins starting & happily have RC as sub.

truehibernian
26-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Caldwell has been poor in the under 20 games I've seen.

What games ? You've watched hee haw of Ross and you are in no place to comment on him - you talk guff and have no knowledge of Ross or his ability, end of.

Forget his recent tweets, that's a youngsters frustrations which he's been punished for !

Andy, you annoy me more than anyone on message boards - Ross Caldwell will be a good Hibs striker - I'll guarantee he'd have buried Collins' chance.

I ask again - how long have you followed Ross's career and what games have you been at to justify his 'poor' tag ?

Ross's family, non Hibees I may add, follow Hibs home and away even when he ain't playing - I'm ever hopeful Pat will see beyond Collins and play Ross - because Collins isn't as good, simple as that !

Still, you've seen him being poor in the 20's eh ?

silverhibee
26-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Why the hell not?

F*** it, just sign Deek on Monday and play him on Wednesday. :greengrin

truehibernian
26-10-2013, 10:23 PM

I was crying into my beer tonight about Deek silver mate - get the boy told, get fit, get ready and get playing - tragic tragic waste !!

Baldy Foghorn
26-10-2013, 10:24 PM
RC and PF don't see eye to eye, don't expect to see RC in the team anytime soon

Aldo
26-10-2013, 10:28 PM

The Deek of old would be wasted by PF IMHO.

One of the most talented players to wear the Hibs jersey and should be in his prime.

Pete
26-10-2013, 10:33 PM
RC and PF don't see eye to eye, don't expect to see RC in the team anytime soon

That's a shame. I'm sure I saw him after the match walking towards the ground and it got me thinking about that goal against hearts and his much talked about potential at the time. He would benefit from some game time (not under 20's) if he is to progress and if not here then maybe somewhere else on loan.

If he isn't good enough he isn't good enough but he should at least be given a sustained chance at a decent level, such as the championship.

truehibernian
26-10-2013, 10:40 PM
That's a shame. I'm sure I saw him after the match walking towards the ground and it got me thinking about that goal against hearts and his much talked about potential at the time. He would benefit from some game time (not under 20's) if he is to progress and if not here then maybe somewhere else on loan.

If he isn't good enough he isn't good enough but he should at least be given a sustained chance at a decent level, such as the championship.

Ross will definitely play for Hibs this season - Pat has sorted it with Ross I'm told - it's up to Ross.

Collins' performances should make it easy to bring him in. Collins is mince - and paid for mince !

Andy74
27-10-2013, 08:46 AM
What games ? You've watched hee haw of Ross and you are in no place to comment on him - you talk guff and have no knowledge of Ross or his ability, end of.

Forget his recent tweets, that's a youngsters frustrations which he's been punished for !

Andy, you annoy me more than anyone on message boards - Ross Caldwell will be a good Hibs striker - I'll guarantee he'd have buried Collins' chance.

I ask again - how long have you followed Ross's career and what games have you been at to justify his 'poor' tag ?

Ross's family, non Hibees I may add, follow Hibs home and away even when he ain't playing - I'm ever hopeful Pat will see beyond Collins and play Ross - because Collins isn't as good, simple as that !

Still, you've seen him being poor in the 20's eh ? Idiot !

You are being the idiot with that post. No need.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-10-2013, 08:52 AM

[Cough] Levein [cough]

Thought whether he's a manager can be debated - certainly not one currently ... ;)