PDA

View Full Version : Report Card after first round of games complete

The Sea-gull
22-10-2013, 09:28 AM
This is usually a point where many people feel the first real appraisal of a seson can be done. If we beat aberdeen at home on Saturday, I think we can say we have had a pretty decent first round. If results go our way, this is how the table could look come the end of the weekend:-

Celtic - 26
Inverness CT - 19
Motherwell - 19
Hibernian - 18
Aberdeen - 17
St Johnstone - 15
Dundee Utd - 13
Partick Thistle - 13
Ross County - 13
St Mirren - 11
Kilmarnock - 9
Hearts - -7

That would leave 5 teams all tucked tightly in together with another three not too far back and the two below them miles ahead of the Yams at the bottom. Would look very good indeed. If results don't go our way:-

Celtic - 23
Inverness CT - 22
Motherwell - 22
Aberdeen - 20
Dundee Utd - 16
Partick Thistle - 16
Hibernian - 15
St Johnstone - 12
Ross County - 10
St Mirren - 8
Kilmarnock - 6
Hearts - -4

Not looking so good.

Why do Aberdeen games at home always seem to be big pivotal games? Last season we sort of lost our way a bit after we lost a game at ER v them which had been heavily billed as a big game. That said, they lost their way too not long after that.

SMAXXA
22-10-2013, 10:32 AM
If the first happens I think that will be a very decent start to the season trowing in the quarters of the cup aswell.

Mind on the flip side the other table and going out the cup next week would put a very different complexion on this.

very big week or so ahead

Keith_M
22-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Maybe you should do this review AFTER the Sheep game. So far, it involves a bit of speculation.

In fact, maybe after the game against Hearts next week would be a better idea. First round of fixtures past and we'll also know if Hibs are still in the Cup.

patlowe
22-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I really, really hope we beat Aberdeen. Barring the cup match last year they have had so many breaks at ER in recent seasons. I also can't understand why the media has got quite so excited about what is basically a reasonably decent start by them. Judging by the way Hibs and Aberdeen have been spoken about you would think we are fighting relegation while they are gunning for Celtic.

frazeHFC
22-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Most games are huge games, and as said just now its about staying near the top, don't want to be falling behind, but Saturday again is one of those games where a win will lift the whole club, right before a derby too. Can't wait for it, bring on Saturday!!

ian cruise
22-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Maybe you should do this review AFTER the Sheep game. So far, it involves a bit of speculation.

In fact, maybe after the game against Hearts next week would be a better idea. First round of fixtures past and we'll also know if Hibs are still in the Cup.

I think it was interesting to raise the point now. I really highlights just how tight the league is at the moment, not just for us. I think the team should see what both tables look like to hammer home how important the averse game is.

The Sea-gull
22-10-2013, 12:46 PM
I think it was interesting to raise the point now. I really highlights just how tight the league is at the moment, not just for us. I think the team should see what both tables look like to hammer home how important the averse game is.

That was why I posted the two tables. It was just to point out how different a weekend's worth of results could make the table look going one way or the other and the different complection it puts on things.

One table was all the results going Hibs way and the other all the results going against us. The reality is the table will probably be somewhere inbetween the two come the end of the weekend. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter as nothing is won or lost by the end of October.

Keith_M
26-10-2013, 04:32 PM
That's us now completed the first full round of league games, played everyone once each.

Played
Won
Drew
Lost
F
A

What's the Report Card for the team so far?

Sprouleflyer
26-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Played off the park in most games, lucky in a few and deserved the points against St Mirren. We are about 10 points better off than we should be.

SkintHibby
26-10-2013, 04:40 PM
D+

BT58
26-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Wasnt there
Try a bit fishing
Fenlon must go

Keith_M
26-10-2013, 04:48 PM
I think it's pretty much as a lot of people imagined.

Heading for a mid-table finish. Very low goal scoring shows the kind of play the team are either set out for or decide for themselves (according to your point of view).

On the plus side, have yet to be really humped by anybody.

neil7908
26-10-2013, 04:59 PM
If the opposition get the first goal then thats basically us finished. That for me is one of the biggest issues. We just really struggle as a team to get forward and create anything (the St Mirren game being the exception) and if we go a goal behind we are utterly clueless about how to turn the game.

At the Moment I'd give Fenlon a C-. Not good enough and even a win in mid-week should not be really seen as a big deal given how bad this Hearts team are. I know its a derby but we should be going out and really hammering them. We might we but it'll be by the odd goal.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Mid table mediocrity at best.

But it's progress so whoopy ****ing doo.

Thecat23
26-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Horrible eye bleeding most games with the odd win.

smack
26-10-2013, 05:06 PM
If the opposition get the first goal then thats basically us finished. That for me is one of the biggest issues. We just really struggle as a team to get forward and create anything (the St Mirren game being the exception) and if we go a goal behind we are utterly clueless about how to turn the game.

At the Moment I'd give Fenlon a C-. Not good enough and even a win in mid-week should not be really seen as a big deal given how bad this Hearts team are. I know its a derby but we should be going out and really hammering them. We might we but it'll be by the odd goal.

I could have sworn we came from behind to win away at killie and st Johnstone

Heisenberg
26-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Totally average and boring to watch.

Sir David Gray
26-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Promising signs and hopeful for the future.

However, not scoring enough goals and need to become more of an attacking threat.

fatbloke
26-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Epic fail.:taxi for Fenlon - please.

Aldo
26-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Tell you what tho if he's still here come Jan (and I have no reason to suspect he won't) Then he'll be given more funds in the Jan transfer window.

DJ HIBBY
26-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Promising signs and hopeful for the future.

However, not scoring enough goals and need to become more of an attacking threat.

Not sure what the promising signs are when you say that we are not scoring enough goals and need to become more of an attacking threat. I thought that the was the whole point of football was to score goals and attack

lucky
26-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Team improving but still should be doing better. I'd give Hibs a C but PF a D.

Mr White
26-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I could have sworn we came from behind to win away at killie and st Johnstone

And to draw with united, so 7 of our 15 points have been gained after losing the first goal.

basehibby
26-10-2013, 05:33 PM
After a poor and pedestrian start to the season there have been some good away performances resulting in 3 of those 4 wins. Fenlon has set us up to be stuffy and has largely succeeded and this works well away - and at home against teams like Celtic who will come and attack at ER - but the majority of performances at home have been dour and uninspiring.

Dour and uninspiring would keep Hibs fans reluctantly happy if it resulted in a steady stream of wins, but that has not been the case with the home record only including 2 performances to be relished - against St Mirren and Celtic. Against that there's been home defeats against two teams we should REALLY be looking to compete with in the league this term - Motherwell and Aberdeen - as well as a desperately dull and insipid 0-0 vs Ross County (just when the **** are we ever going to beat them BTW :grr:).

Away from home it gets better and just as well or the Jambos would be dreaming about catching us rather than Killie, St Mirren and Partick. As stated above, Fenlon seems to have set us up to be a stuffy team who can soak up pressure and hit on the break. While at home this has lead to a dearth of creativity, it has yielded 3 wins on the road - 2 of which came thanks to good performances while we could thank Partick Thistle's profligacy for the other one. At ICT we simply weren't at the races, and at Tynie this time round with the Merricks fielding a virtual youth team, the resulting defeat - throwing away as it did a 4 game undefeated run against THEM - cannot be categorised as anything other than pish poor!

In Fenlon's favour he's had very little luck on the injury front with Cairney and Harris's absence in particular being hard felt and probably contributing to the unadventurous style we've witnessed so far this season.

Overall, (and I'm restricting this analysis to the league and putting European misadventures to the side) considering where we are compared to where we should be aspiring to be (ie European qualification through league placing) I'd give Fenlon a C minus so far - 50% - has shown some promise but MUST DO BETTER.

SkintHibby
26-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Tell you what tho if he's still here come Jan (and I have no reason to suspect he won't) Then he'll be given more funds in the Jan transfer window.

Is that a good thing?:confused:

Aldo
26-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Is that a good thing?:confused:

Sorry no it's not a good thing. Didn't finish what I wanted to say and now forgotten. Der!

Keith_M
26-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Sorry no it's not a good thing. Didn't finish what I wanted to say and now forgotten. Der!

The drugs don't work!

:wink:

marinello59
26-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Poor. Lacking in ambition.

Aldo
26-10-2013, 05:47 PM
The drugs don't work! :wink:

Wibble!

The Voice Of Reason
26-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Average at best (in a very poor league minus Rangers and with a reserve Hearts team).

Severe lack of pace and unentertaining (is that a word?!) at home.

Difficult to be enthusiastic about Hibs if I'm really honest....... :boo hoo:

basehibby
26-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Not sure what the promising signs are when you say that we are not scoring enough goals and need to become more of an attacking threat. I thought that the was the whole point of football was to score goals and attack

Incorrect - that's half the point of football - the other half is to stop the opposition from scoring.

I like everyone else want to be entertained by my football team, but they always say that a good manager builds from the back and makes a team hard to beat first, You could certainly argue that Fenlon's tried to do that (although some would argue not very well).

Up to now I'd say that Fenlon has produced a sort of creeping progress from the dogs dinner he took over - going forward he'll need to produce the goods in an attacking sense otherwise we'll start going backwards.

Hibercelona
26-10-2013, 05:54 PM
We won't finish mid table.

We're mid table right now and that required some ridiculous luck in quite a few of the games.

That fortune won't continue on throughout the season and I can see us finishing around 8th or 9th in the table.

Hiber-nation
26-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Can't remember ever being less enthusiastic about Hibs. This is anti-football.

Dashing Bob S
26-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Garbage.

weonlywon6-2
26-10-2013, 05:59 PM
If we never play at home again we can finish second

silverhibee
26-10-2013, 06:34 PM
F*** off Fenlon you are boring me to death with your pish negative football.

The Voice Of Reason
26-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Say what you really mean SH, please stop sitting on the fence old bean ! :greengrin

Billy Whizz
26-10-2013, 07:55 PM

I agree

Pete
26-10-2013, 08:04 PM
The way I would describe us is "reactive". When they play us, teams do their own thing and try and impose themselves on the game. It's as if we set out to nullify them and then do our thing. As others have said, that is natural away from home or against better teams but we have done it in every game and it's become our style.

Thinking about it, have we ever went into a game with a proactive approach? The frustrating thing is that I know we have the quality to do so but it's as if the will isn't there.

Patenaccio: a counter attacking team that isn't very good at counter attacking.

Bostonhibby
26-10-2013, 09:05 PM
D-
Massive underachievers, must try harder to beat one of the top 6 / teams above us.

Jonnyboy
26-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Average at best (in a very poor league minus Rangers and with a reserve Hearts team).

Severe lack of pace and unentertaining (is that a word?!) at home.

Difficult to be enthusiastic about Hibs if I'm really honest....... :boo hoo:

Yes but you spell it P!SH :aok:

hibsitis
26-10-2013, 09:16 PM
I agree

Me too, big style.

JMac
27-10-2013, 01:38 AM
Not good enough, must improve for the next round of fixtures, final warning for Fenlon

rcarter1
27-10-2013, 02:21 AM
The way I would describe us is "reactive". When they play us, teams do their own thing and try and impose themselves on the game. It's as if we set out to nullify them and then do our thing. As others have said, that is natural away from home or against better teams but we have done it in every game and it's become our style.

Thinking about it, have we ever went into a game with a proactive approach? The frustrating thing is that I know we have the quality to do so but it's as if the will isn't there.

Patenaccio: a counter attacking team that isn't very good at counter attacking.

Im interested to know what this means. Spot on though, as we are reduced to counter attacking but were nae good at it. Pace required, weve no got it. Some good footballers but no cohesive plan. Vs St Mirren we did well, any comments from folk at the away wins vs Killie and saint johnstone, both were cracking results?

truehibernian
27-10-2013, 02:29 AM
No progress whatsoever. Turgid football, worse than under Calderwood, at the helm of the worst results in our proud club's history - FACT !

Stewboy
27-10-2013, 06:26 AM
At home Plan A is 0-0 draw. If they score Plan B is try to keep it at 1.

Away from home setup ok and will pick up points

Issue is we won't evolve our play and will be found out badly again during the 2nd round games

7th/8th finish predicted

SouthamptonHibs
27-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Must do better, unacceptable that Hibs have list four games in a league wi no Huns and jambo's minus 15, we are pish Fenlon must goooooooo

TrinityHibs
27-10-2013, 06:57 AM
I think it's pretty much as a lot of people imagined.

Heading for a mid-table finish. Very low goal scoring shows the kind of play the team are either set out for or decide for themselves (according to your point of view).

On the plus side, have yet to be really humped by anybody.

It's as well we don't count our European campaign.

Big90inOz
27-10-2013, 07:19 AM
I have watched Hibs for over 40 yrs and I have never ever been so disillusioned as I am now.

We are the most boring negative side I have ever watched, there is not a shred of positivity in PF's team, negative, negative , negative.

Saorsa
27-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Can't remember ever being less enthusiastic about Hibs. This is anti-football.Nowt else tae be said

.Sean.
27-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Boring, mediocre, average at best. Fenlonesque.

down-the-slope
27-10-2013, 09:23 AM
We have assembled the best squad for many years / ditched the Billy big baws / started to blood youth .......

And yet the teams we put out are less than the sum of the parts..........and when we get on the back foot the ability (players / manager coaches all culpable) to change things is in very little evidence......

Report...Must try harder

Boyle89
27-10-2013, 09:50 AM
The fact that we haven't beaten a team above us says it all really...2 points from a possible 15 is poor to say the least. It's a sorry state of affairs when you realise how many teams there are in this league that are just better than us, and quite a bit better than us. I'm suprised we haven't been hammered yet tbh.

HibbyAndy
27-10-2013, 09:58 AM
I have watched Hibs for over 40 yrs and I have never ever been so disillusioned as I am now.

We are the most boring negative side I have ever watched, there is not a shred of positivity in PF's team, negative, negative , negative.

This..Under Fenlon we are god awful to watch.

Utter dross served up by him.

Eyrie
27-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Underachieving and in need of a fresh approach.

Keith_M
27-10-2013, 12:26 PM
It's as well we don't count our European campaign.

I was told that doesn't count, as it was 'pre-season' :wink:

Frazerbob
27-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Piss poor but FAR better than Calderclown team. Very slow progress being made but not enough. Hearts game is a must win.

hibsbollah
27-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Results: B-
Entertainment E

blackpoolhibs
27-10-2013, 03:01 PM
His attendance could be a lot better, he's not turned up on a number of important occasions.

Onceinawhile
27-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Piss poor but FAR better than Calderclown team. Very slow progress being made but not enough. Hearts game is a must win.

I'd agree with this. Look at the progress Aberdeen seem to have made over one summer, compared to ours over two. It just Hasn't been enough. That said, I'm not of the opinion that he should be sacked based on his results. Though having not yet attended a game this season I'm somewhat Dettached from how poor our performances have been which might change my opinion.

greenlex
27-10-2013, 04:28 PM
The fact that we haven't beaten a team above us says it all really...2 points from a possible 15 is poor to say the least. It's a sorry state of affairs when you realise how many teams there are in this league that are just better than us, and quite a bit better than us. I'm suprised we haven't been hammered yet tbh.

What a lot of absolute drivel. One round of games and you come out with this????? In case you hadnt noticed we beat most of the teams below us in the league. Thats more or less how this **** works!!!!!! There are 5 teams above us and only two of them managed to beat us. My logic therefore says that there are only two teams better than us in the league. :wink: Most aren't quite a bit better than us and we have been hammered. Im now officially confused. :greengrin

Franck Stanton
27-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Give it time mate, give it time.

Ozyhibby
27-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Results: B-
Entertainment E

We're 7th in the league with no Rangers and Hearts financially crippled and you give a B for results? We really do lack ambition as a support.

Spike Mandela
27-10-2013, 06:46 PM
We're 7th in the league with no Rangers and Hearts financially crippled and you give a B for results? We really do lack ambition as a support.

Yip, having played everybody once we are in exactly the same league position we finished last year. Definitely C grades all round and a marked improvement is required.

MUST DO BETTER.

HiBremian
27-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Yip, having played everybody once we are in exactly the same league position we finished last year. Definitely C grades all round and a marked improvement is required.

MUST DO BETTER.

And last year at this stage we were 2nd. So is this "progress going forward" or just a different phase in the cycle of pish/not so pish/pish/not so pish......

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

MacGruber
27-10-2013, 10:08 PM
The team are picking up points because we have good players at this level. We are picking up these points without functioning particularly fluently or ever looking like there's ever any thought process/game plan - as is well documented on here.

The balance of the team is all over the place. Entertainment at a premium. Bored.

Go though 1-11 and it looks decent individually but there's jack cohesion.

He needs to stop playing a combination of Thomson, Craig, Robertson, OTJ, Tiawo in the middle. Sums it up for me:- individually, difficult to drop Thomson, Craig is having a great season, Robertson most improved player, OTJ gives us presence we lack without and Tiawo was one of the better players towards the end of last season. Difficult then to drop 2 or 3 but they are all too similar for me. Overall too defensive and leaves the striker(s) isolated. Not without attacking threat, Craig being the obvious one getting beyond but not enough guile/creativity in final third. Also, overall, pedestrian slow.

I'm sure this is stating the obvious though.

I've forgot what the question was.

B.H.F.C
27-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Little to be said. Boring. Easter Road will always be a horrible place to visit with this man in charge.

erin go bragh
27-10-2013, 10:27 PM

We were a goal down to St Johnstone and Killie but won both so that kind of blows your theory to bits .
Id give us a b minus , try's hard but must do better .

Ggtth

The Sea-gull
28-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Celtic - 26
Aberdeen - 20
Inverness CT - 19
Motherwell - 19
Dundee Utd - 16
St Johnstone - 15
Hibernian - 15
Partick Thistle - 13
Ross County - 10
Kilmarnock - 9
St Mirren - 8
Hearts -7

Well there we have it after 12 game (noting Ross Co V ICT still to come).

Results didn't really go for us other than the Yams being beat and Celtic winning. Would have want Saints to beat Well if we had won but that one has to go down as a bad one given we lost and they have over taken us.

As I said earlier in the thread, Saturday was a big game, a chance to make a statement and we blew it. Again. Had we won and gone on to beat Hearts on Wed it would have represented a decent start to the season. We now find ourselves needing to beat the Yams otherwise it has to be considered a poor return from the first three months of the season and the signs of things maybe starting to come together will be well and truly blown away. Seems harsh that the knives come out for Pat at the first signs of flater following a decent run but that is Scottish football, that is Hibs and that is representative to the motions of no confidence that most of us have passed in him over the bulk of his tenure.

While we can twist stats anyway we want, the only really decent performance we seem to have had this season was v St Mirren at home and we should remember how bad St Mirren were at that time. Looking at our other wins - St Johnstone away was ok but we were outplayed for a good 45 mins or so of that game. Ditto Killie away. Partick away we were simply dire and the attempts of Pat's few fans to try and claim that as a tactical master class were embarrassing. ICT away we were poor as usual up there and well beaten. Ditto Saturday v Aberdeen.

In draws against Dundee Utd and Ross County we were largely bogging. A point v Celtic is never to be sniffed at but we rode our luck then. Hearts away we we were poor and Motherwell at home on the opening day we were actually ok but had 0 conviction or confidence.

I would say we are where we are in the league just now coz that is about our level under Pat, and would actually say we are lucky, given the way some of our games have gone, to be up as high. I still belive with a better manager this squad would be higher up the table right now.

happiehibbie
28-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Celtic - 26
Aberdeen - 20
Inverness CT - 19
Motherwell - 19
Dundee Utd - 16
St Johnstone - 15
Hibernian - 15
Partick Thistle - 13
Ross County - 10
Kilmarnock - 9
St Mirren - 8
Hearts -7

Well there we have it after 12 game (noting Ross Co V ICT still to come).

Results didn't really go for us other than the Yams being beat and Celtic winning. Would have want Saints to beat Well if we had won but that one has to go down as a bad one given we lost and they have over taken us.

As I said earlier in the thread, Saturday was a big game, a chance to make a statement and we blew it. Again. Had we won and gone on to beat Hearts on Wed it would have represented a decent start to the season. We now find ourselves needing to beat the Yams otherwise it has to be considered a poor return from the first three months of the season and the signs of things maybe starting to come together will be well and truly blown away. Seems harsh that the knives come out for Pat at the first signs of flater following a decent run but that is Scottish football, that is Hibs and that is representative to the motions of no confidence that most of us have passed in him over the bulk of his tenure.

While we can twist stats anyway we want, the only really decent performance we seem to have had this season was v St Mirren at home and we should remember how bad St Mirren were at that time. Looking at our other wins - St Johnstone away was ok but we were outplayed for a good 45 mins or so of that game. Ditto Killie away. Partick away we were simply dire and the attempts of Pat's few fans to try and claim that as a tactical master class were embarrassing. ICT away we were poor as usual up there and well beaten. Ditto Saturday v Aberdeen.

In draws against Dundee Utd and Ross County we were largely bogging. A point v Celtic is never to be sniffed at but we rode our luck then. Hearts away we we were poor and Motherwell at home on the opening day we were actually ok but had 0 conviction or confidence.

I would say we are where we are in the league just now coz that is about our level under Pat, and would actually say we are lucky, given the way some of our games have gone, to be up as high. I still belive with a better manager this squad would be higher up the table right now.

I think you sum it up perfect

Fenlon has no clue i think out by christmas

rcarter1
29-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Hibernian are a largely ineffective unit.
While they can be difficult to break down, this comes at a great reduction in their own attacking threat.

Hibernian struggle to entertain their supporters, and seem incapable of moving forward in numbers.
In spite of some good players throughout the team, a lack of pace will hold them back.
Against pacy sides, they are liable to be exposed if they push forward.
As a consequence, against teams such as Celtic, Aberdeen, ICT, Dundee United, and to some
extent Motherwell, Partick and St Johnstone, they would be advised to sit deep and hope for a lucky
break up front. Until the club add players capable of playing on the break however, this will
rarely achieve more than the odd point.
Teams will less pace such as Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Ross County and Hearts, pose less threat,
and Hibernian should be able to compete well with these.
Hibs overall quality of player should be enough to win the majority of these contests.

In short: Relegation is no longer a concern for Hibernian which is satisfactory. However, until this club learns to add width and pace, the overall outlook is mid league mediocrity.
A win against Hearts - in particular a big win - will do much to boost morale, but should not hide the
fact that without the improvements suggested, the club will stagnate.

Ritchie
29-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Better than i feared but still no where near good enough!!! :rolleyes: