PDA

View Full Version : James Collins

Berwickhibby
26-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Have a word with yourself, open goal with just the keeper to beat, if your score its back to 1 - 1 and you cant even hit the target...... simply not good enough son

chrisski33
26-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Have a word with yourself berwickhibby

SteveHFC
26-10-2013, 04:18 PM
And we paid £200K for him :faf:

CallumLaidlaw
Harsh. It was very wide out and the keeper had got back in place quickly.

Borderhibbie76
Bad miss agreed but not quite an open goal...it was a tight angle

18Craig75
26-10-2013, 04:21 PM
He could have rolled it side ways for one of two players to tap in. Shocking miss.

Berwickhibby
26-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Still got to hit the target, early in the first half McPake blocks an Aberdeen shot stopping a certain goal, the Dons fans did not complain as the shot was on target, when the keeper saved Heffernans shot in the first half did you moan, no why, because it was on target. Collins effort looked more like a sideways pass. I don't need to have a word with myself..... I know a bad miss when I see one.

dmc1875
26-10-2013, 04:25 PM
A terrible miss, especially considering he didnt even manage to get it on target and could have rolled it to one of two players for a tap in.

No doubt he will have nightmares about it tonight. Chin up but what a difference that goal would have made, although we deserved absolutely nothing from the game.

basehibby
26-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Not quite an open goal but should have scored and will have a sleepless night over that one - a major turning point of the match.

California-Hibs
26-10-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm sorry but he's poor. Sooooo slow. Very very worrying that we're just going to have him upfront on Wednesday with no Heff.

dmc1875
26-10-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm sorry but he's poor. Sooooo slow. Very very worrying that we're just going to have him upfront on Wednesday with no Heff.

A ffs you just reminded me of that... :rolleyes:

LaMotta
26-10-2013, 04:30 PM

:agree: said after the Hearts game he looked out his depth against a terrible Hearts youth team but hopefully would improve after a few more games. Unfortunately seen nothing from him since to suggest he is going to be decent.

Aldo
26-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Wonder if any if the U20's strikers are at the point for the step up. They seen to be scoring regularly .

Berwickhibby
26-10-2013, 04:31 PM
With Collins and Vine up front on Wednesday the Yams must be bricking themselves :wink:

neil7908
26-10-2013, 04:32 PM
A bad miss by Collins but I think he's a decent striker. We as a team create zero chances over 90 minutes week in, week out and any misses by our forwards prove more costly as we never have another look at the opposition goal.

We need to start giving out forwards better service so their not relying on one decent chance a game.

Sprouleflyer
26-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Did anyone else in the SPL pay £200k for a player during the transfer window?.....Nae ****** wonder if that's what you get for the money!

Hibercelona
26-10-2013, 04:34 PM
No doubt he will have nightmares about it tonight.

I doubt it. He'll be dreaming about the pay cheque he recieves regardless of how poorly he plays.

Onceinawhile
26-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Its an open goal, but he had the keeper to beat... run that one by Me again...

Heisenberg
26-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Not worth 200k so far IMO.

green.and.white
26-10-2013, 04:42 PM
The guy's useless, said it for weeks. For a 200K striker, we need more than 2 goal in 11 games and working quite hard. So poor.
The thought of him or Vine up front on Wedneaday fills me with dread

Viva_Palmeiras
26-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Did anyone else in the SPL pay £200k for a player during the transfer window?.....Nae ****** wonder if that's what you get for the money!

But it's speculate to accumulate right?

Beefster
26-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Collins is a decent player but he's not like Griffiths - he needs service.

Elephant Stone
26-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Have a word with yourself, open goal with just the keeper to beat, if your score its back to 1 - 1 and you cant even hit the target...... simply not good enough son

I'm sure he needs this thread in order to realise it was a bad miss. This thread will remedy that and will also improve his confidence at the same time. Good thinking, OP.

Waxy
26-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Perhaps time to give Caldwell another run.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2013, 04:48 PM
If he hit it 1st time with his left foot there is a good chance he would have scored. He made it more difficult.

andy1875
26-10-2013, 04:52 PM
He could an should have done better but strikers miss chances. He'll know himself he should have done better.

More worryingly was how poor we were all over the park today with the exception of Heffernan who I thought did well with the very limited service.

Wake up call before Wednesday night.

God Petrie
26-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Good work judging a player based on one chance. Half the clowns on here were slating griffiths in his first season too.

Elephant Stone
26-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Good work judging a player based on one chance. Half the clowns on here were slating griffiths in his first season too.

This place is packed with experts, actually, and when they berate the players it makes them play better. Leave them to it.

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2013, 04:56 PM

In the words of the great David Cassidy.... I am a clown.

So, given that I didn't rate LG initially, and thought that Vaz Te was a waste of space.......can I join in the general slagging of Collins, in the sure and certain knowledge that I have no eye for a fitba player and that he will turn out to be a superstar?

:greengrin

hibeemikey21
26-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Collins to redeem himself on Wednesday. Guaranteed and fact.

Also, for those who keep on claiming that we stumped up £200k - you are incorrect. It's bad enough starting a thread to criticise, but don't base the majority of your criticisms on a falsity.

Onion
26-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Harsh. It was very wide out and the keeper had got back in place quickly.

Just a very bad miss. If he had a left foot it would be been in the net before the keeper got up. Sadly he lacked the confidence to hit with his left and the rest is just .... bad. For a man who cost us good money and told us he'd make us all forget about Leigh Griffiths..... well Leigh would never have missed that !

Onion
26-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Collins to redeem himself on Wednesday. Guaranteed and fact.

Also, for those who keep on claiming that we stumped up £200k - you are incorrect. It's bad enough starting a thread to criticise, but don't base the majority of your criticisms on a falsity.

So what did he cost us ? Media keep saying £200k. Was it more or less than this ?

Berwickhibby
26-10-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm sure he needs this thread in order to realise it was a bad miss. This thread will remedy that and will also improve his confidence at the same time. Good thinking, OP.

Strange, I thought this was a fans forum where fans can voice their opinion, my opinion is that James Collins had a horrendous pathetic miss today which cost the team at least a point. God forbid that I might hurt the "puir wee lambs confidence" maybe a kick up the ar$e and a dose of reality is what he needs.

Velma Dinkley
26-10-2013, 05:06 PM
We didn't pay 200k for him and he's had very little game time.

Elephant Stone
26-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Strange, I thought this was a fans forum where fans can voice their opinion, my opinion is that James Collins had a horrendous pathetic miss today which cost the team at least a point. God forbid that I might hurt the "puir wee lambs confidence" maybe a kick up the ar$e and a dose of reality is what he needs.

They can, I just gave you mine.

hibeemikey21
26-10-2013, 05:08 PM
So what did he cost us ? Media keep saying £200k. Was it more or less than this ?

Less

Cameron1875
26-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Bit of a huddy but i do think he could work if we had a pacy forward up top with him. I like Heffernan though so would rather have the Heff and someone else than Collins and a fast player.

nonshinyfinish
26-10-2013, 05:10 PM

I haven't seen it, but if he had the keeper to beat then it can hardly be described as an open goal.

skipster7
26-10-2013, 05:13 PM
If he hit it 1st time with his left foot there is a good chance he would have scored. He made it more difficult.

Exactly, had to score and a bad miss. Aside from that I think Collins is an excellent stiker who continually makes great runs but rarely gets played in. Been living of scraps since he came to ER.Struggling to think of one instance where hes had a cross to attack.

Brightside
26-10-2013, 05:18 PM
He's a waste of a player if we arent going to get crosses into him.

leggeto
26-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Bad miss should have hit the target at least,hopefully will be forgotten about come we'd night around 9o clock

leggeto
26-10-2013, 06:02 PM

a point today mate

Alfred E Newman
26-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Less

How much less?

Zazu62
26-10-2013, 06:48 PM

This.

hibeemikey21
26-10-2013, 06:54 PM
How much less?

No idea tbh. It wasn't £200k though - I imagine this figure comes from add-ons (ie appearance based/we win the league and both cups and we will have to pay in full)

People can't honestly think that Petrie would pay £200k cash in this climate for a League 1 striker!

stoneyburn hibs
26-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Certainly no huddy, create chances for him and he will score regularly. The problem is that to create chances for him we need a new manager.

Alfred E Newman
26-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Was the same story with Claros, Robertson and Craig. Some fans need to realise that not all players hit the ground running. Collins has the makings of a good striker. Plays much better with Heffernan alongside him as well, I think.

If we payed anything other than a signing on fee we were done.

Andy74
26-10-2013, 08:06 PM

Yep. Crosses and getting to the bye line. We'd see a different player then.

SMAXXA
26-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Bore off ffs, shock striker misses a chance stroke sitter. Remember a number of much better striker missing open goals, RVP springs to mind this season.

why are some people so quick to have a go? He missed so what, it happened.

Mon Dieu4
26-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Collins seems to me to be a natural fininsher, ie get the ball in the mixer and he will score, if he has time to think then its not going to happen, if we had wingers playing balls for him to get on the end of then he will be fine, he will never make goals for himself

Jonnyboy
26-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Bore off ffs, shock striker misses a chance stroke sitter. Remember a number of much better striker missing open goals, RVP springs to mind this season.

why are some people so quick to have a go? He missed so what, it happened.

Indeed. Although the sin for me was not missing but failing to square the ball where a team mate would have faced an open goal.

I actually like Collins. I think he'll get goals IF we can provide the opportunities

LaMotta
26-10-2013, 09:05 PM

:agree:

SMAXXA
26-10-2013, 09:12 PM

:blah:

goosefat
26-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Certainly no huddy, create chances for him and he will score regularly. The problem is that to create chances for him we need a new manager.

Indeed. My opinion of Fenlon is that he does have a fairly decent eye for a player and has assembled a relatively strong squad for SPFL level (with the exception of not addressing the fact that we have no pace). To me, he seems like a scout that's been given a managers job and doesn't quite know how to work with the personnel he has got. It's really hard not to criticise Fenlon when you genuinely believe that we could be challenging for the top 3 with a less negative approach, getting the players to work harder, closing the opposition down, playing less narrow and passing the ball quicker - all of which are basics. I think a frontline of Collins, Vine, Heff (already proven at this level) and Handling would flourish given the right direction.

Right now, it's so hard to watch Hibs. They're just so frustrating. I'm starting to loose any judgement on what's good, bad or average. The way Aberdeen were pinging the ball around at pace in between our midfield this afternoon made me think I was watching Barcelona - then I had to remind myself that their squad is really not much better (if at all) than ours. It just seems that the majority of teams we face know exactly how to play to their strengths as a team and consequently they look miles ahead of us. We have a knack of making teams look way better than they really are and that makes us think our squad is mince. It's not. We just have a guy at the helm that doesn't know how to get the best out of them. Sure, there will be times during the season when it will click but we need to be doing it consistently. I just can't see Fenlon being able to do that.

There are, of course, a couple of turkeys in the pack (Tudur Jones, to name but one) but I think the squad is decent for this level. The problem is whoever Fenlon brings in during the next transfer window won't change how he uses them, which is essentially in a negative and often naïve fashion. I think we should shake Fenlon's hand at the end of the season, after what will probably be a 5-7 place finish, say thanks for assembling the squad but we have to let you go now and employ someone who can get the best out of them.

AlbertK86
26-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Think he will come good

Took Leigh a guid while to settle in mind

Let's back the boy

The Green Goblin
26-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Thought he looked a bit like he was playing with his head down today. Confidence? We played with no width today, so (miss aside) he was never going to get the kind of service he needed.

JCHibby
26-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Played at a reasonable level and have seen better than his guy, rocket up his erchie is required

nonshinyfinish
26-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Indeed. My opinion of Fenlon is that he does have a fairly decent eye for a player and has assembled a relatively strong squad for SPFL level (with the exception of not addressing the fact that we have no pace). To me, he seems like a scout that's been given a managers job and doesn't quite know how to work with the personnel he has got. It's really hard not to criticise Fenlon when you genuinely believe that we could be challenging for the top 3 with a less negative approach, getting the players to work harder, closing the opposition down, playing less narrow and passing the ball quicker - all of which are basics. I think a frontline of Collins, Vine, Heff (already proven at this level) and Handling would flourish given the right direction.

Right now, it's so hard to watch Hibs. They're just so frustrating. I'm starting to loose any judgement on what's good, bad or average. The way Aberdeen were pinging the ball around at pace in between our midfield this afternoon made me think I was watching Barcelona - then I had to remind myself that their squad is really not much better (if at all) than ours. It just seems that the majority of teams we face know exactly how to play to their strengths as a team and consequently they look miles ahead of us. We have a knack of making teams look way better than they really are and that makes us think our squad is mince. It's not. We just have a guy at the helm that doesn't know how to get the best out of them. Sure, there will be times during the season when it will click but we need to be doing it consistently. I just can't see Fenlon being able to do that.

There are, of course, a couple of turkeys in the pack (Tudur Jones, to name but one) but I think the squad is decent for this level. The problem is whoever Fenlon brings in during the next transfer window won't change how he uses them, which is essentially in a negative and often naïve fashion. I think we should shake Fenlon's hand at the end of the season, after what will probably be a 5-7 place finish, say thanks for assembling the squad but we have to let you go now and employ someone who can get the best out of them.

Four up front? Really?

Feed McGraw
26-10-2013, 09:40 PM
A bad miss by Collins but I think he's a decent striker. We as a team create zero chances over 90 minutes week in, week out and any misses by our forwards prove more costly as we never have another look at the opposition goal.

We need to start giving out forwards better service so their not relying on one decent chance a game. Spot on, sir. That is SO true.

goosefat
26-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Four up front? Really?

Just naming what I think are our 4 best strike options. Clearly, we're not going to be having 4 up front, I just assumed that was obvious to the majority.

However, to 'assume' can sometimes make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'

:wink:

nonshinyfinish
26-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Just naming what I think are our 4 best strike options. Clearly, we're not going to be having 4 up front, I just assumed that was obvious to the majority.

However, to 'assume' can sometimes make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'

:wink:

'A frontline of'

Hmm.

goosefat
26-10-2013, 09:55 PM
'A frontline of'

Hmm.:applause:

nonshinyfinish
26-10-2013, 09:58 PM
:applause:

Some of us enjoy precision.

LaMotta
26-10-2013, 09:58 PM
'A frontline of'

Hmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgKS6lyhKdQ

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Rather than a miss, I would put it down to a lack of awareness. Square ball and it's a goal. That said, I will not slag the boy for having a pop on a day when it looked line everyone in the team had been warned that anyone having a dig would be fined two weeks' wages.

monktonharp
26-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Rather than a miss, I would put it down to a lack of awareness. Square ball and it's a goal. That said, I will not slag the boy for having a pop on a day when it looked line everyone in the team had been warned that anyone having a dig would be fined two weeks' wages.certainly looked like that at times, when playrs had the ball on the 18yd area they were playing it sidewards or back, rather than having a pop at goal.

SquashedFrogg
26-10-2013, 10:46 PM

Garbage. Young guy who runs his guts out. Anything but slow.

Horrendous comment CH

Bishop Hibee
26-10-2013, 10:54 PM
James Collins=waste of money. One of the many reasons Fenlon won"t be kept on at the end of the season.

B.H.F.C
26-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Needs to start showing a hell of a lot more than he has done so far. Part of it may be down to a lack of service but still not seen enough from him.

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Had the chance fell to Heffernan he would have buried it first time with his left sadly our most likely goalscorer was off the park at the time.

CallumLaidlaw
26-10-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm shocked by some opinions on here. I really like Collins. A hard working player with ability that will score goals when given service. He missed a great chance today, but what striker hasn't? Him and Heff looked to be striking up a good partnership before the international break

JoeT_WasTheBest
26-10-2013, 11:31 PM
The guy's useless, said it for weeks. For a 200K striker, we need more than 2 goal in 11 games and working quite hard. So poor.
The thought of him or Vine up front on Wedneaday fills me with dread

Considering he didn't play at all last week and only got 20 minutes today I think it's a bit harsh to say 2 goals in 11 games. Not saying he shouldn't be scoring more mind you, I think he'll come good though.

Jones28
26-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Collins is a decent player but he's not like Griffiths - he needs service.

Nail on the head. We're playing like Griffiths is still in the team, giving a striker the ball 30 yards out and waiting for them to finish it off.

Give them a better service and you will see goals.

Should've hit the target though.

truehibernian
26-10-2013, 11:59 PM
He's howling - pure and simple. a poor man's Higdon - and Higdon was okay at best.

Could have got Lyle Taylor for half the cost - blame penny pinching Petrie. Rod fairly survives flak here - strange really.

Swindon substitute when we bought him - says it all really !

What's wrong with Hibs playing our far better youngsters ? Pat scared that James gets too much credit ? I'm beginning to wonder !

LaMotta
27-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Considering he didn't play at all last week and only got 20 minutes today I think it's a bit harsh to say 2 goals in 11 games. Not saying he shouldn't be scoring more mind you, I think he'll come good though.

The fact he has been on the bench says it all....even pat has figured out hes not up to it.

SaulGoodman
27-10-2013, 12:15 AM
He's howling - pure and simple. a poor man's Higdon - and Higdon was okay at best.

Could have got Lyle Taylor for half the cost - blame penny pinching Petrie. Rod fairly survives flak here - strange really.

What's wrong with Hibs playing our far better youngsters ? Pat scared that James gets too much credit ? I'm beginning to wonder !

How is Lyle Taylor doing by the way?

truehibernian
27-10-2013, 12:20 AM
I nearly always think your posts are excellent and spot-on, TH, so it worries me to disagree with you here!

Collins at 22 is little more than a youngster himself and in my opinion has shown more than Handling or Caldwell thus far. I don't see how we can call them "far better." That's not a dig at the youngsters, I like Handling in particular very much, but I think Collins has a much more developed game than them and has shown that he is capable of scoring goals and bothering defences. He's not had it easy so far, but he's not exactly had the service he needs either.

I don't think he's a lone striker, and I don't think he plays well with Vine, but he started to form a decent partnership with Heffernan and I think the two of them will work well together. I can understand why he was left out for the Celtic game but felt he should have started today alongside Heffernan, especially since he'll most likely be playing in the derby.

Heffernan is quality and has proved it throughout his career. He'd form a decent partnership with any decent front player because he's intelligent as a footballer.

My huge concern is we paid all that money for a player we didn't need - quite simply Pat looked at 'Well and saw Higdon, couldn't get him, Petrie was an idiot with Falkirk, and we ended up with a 3rd choice striker who was a sub at Swindon - and Doyle refused a contract so it makes it worse.

I want pace up top, I don't think a team needs braun up top, it needs pace and speed - none of the top sides need a 'physical striker' - take a look round the leagues, I'd rather have two nippy pacy front men - defenders hate it. Sadly we think pace is unnecessary - and have done for years.

Pat's tactics annoy me - not his formations, his tactics.

I watched Lennon last week swear at his subs for not warming up quick enough and chastise one for smiling when they were one down - I watched our bench laughing and one running down the tunnel to check whether our goal was offside - that to me is the difference between professional and Hibs ! And it pains me to say it mate !

JMac
27-10-2013, 01:35 AM
It cost us a point tbh, been really disappointed with him since we paid 200K for him. Looked like he was getting it together a few weeks ago but the miss today was awful. Could make up for everything on Wednesday though :wink::wink::wink:

SouthamptonHibs
27-10-2013, 06:16 AM
The lad is pish end off w e can't score, five let's hope Liam Caribbean his shooting boots on, get yer money on 0v0, in pat we trust haha

Jonnyboy
27-10-2013, 08:22 PM
The lad is pish end off w e can't score, five let's hope Liam Caribbean his shooting boots on, get yer money on 0v0, in pat we trust haha

Is he related to Kevin West Indies or Owain Trinidad and Tobago by any chance :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
27-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Lillian Martinique?

Jonnyboy
27-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Lillian Martinique?

:greengrin

SMAXXA
27-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Just watched the highlights and cannot believe what I just saw. Before seeing this I was under the impression he miss a shocker of a miss and having watched it, certainly not as bad as some make it out to be.

i shouldn't be shocked I suppose with the amount of guff posted on here at times.

Billy Whizz
27-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Just watched the highlights and cannot believe what I just saw. Before seeing this I was under the impression he miss a shocker of a miss and having watched it, certainly not as bad as some make it out to be.

i shouldn't be shocked I suppose with the amount of guff posted on here at times.

Never be surprised by what you read on here

JimBHibees
27-10-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm shocked by some opinions on here. I really like Collins. A hard working player with ability that will score goals when given service. He missed a great chance today, but what striker hasn't? Him and Heff looked to be striking up a good partnership before the international break

Completely agree really like his attitude. Can work on his touch however given a run he will do well. We have an excellent striker in Heffernan to play next to him so please play both and leave Zoubir for the bench.

Robinho08
27-10-2013, 08:37 PM
He's decent, and will come good if given time. May take a new manager right enough.

Alfred E Newman
27-10-2013, 09:14 PM
It cost us a point tbh, been really disappointed with him since we paid 200K for him. Looked like he was getting it together a few weeks ago but the miss today was awful. Could make up for everything on Wednesday though :wink::wink::wink:

Of course, just as he was settling in and gaining a bit of confidence , he was dropped. :dunno:

EK_Hibs
27-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Craig will score on Wednesday I'm not worried.

Bostonhibby
27-10-2013, 09:22 PM

:agree:We signed the type of striker who will score when he gets the right service and we play to his strengths, guy is a goal scorer and will score if this happens. I was kind of expecting that Fenlon might have noticed his playing style and how to use it to our best advantage before buying him rather than working it out later or experimenting and trying to use him differently, Time will tell.

HibbyAndy
27-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Id have that dundee utd player before collins and he cost zero.

Collins may well or not come good but for 200K is a waste money..Id have Kris Doolan before Collins

Bostonhibby
27-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Four up front? Really?

Nae chance - Fenlon doesn't even put 4 counters on the front line when he is playing draughts and he has filed the points of his darts :wink:

Hibercelona
27-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Collins may well or not come good but for 200K is a waste money..Id have Kris Doolan before Collins

There is 1 other player we could get for free. Just for the derby. :wink:

Hibs90
27-10-2013, 09:50 PM
"Just watched the highlights and cannot believe what I just saw. Before seeing this I was under the impression he miss a shocker of a miss and having watched it, certainly not as bad as some make it out to be.

i shouldn't be shocked I suppose with the amount of guff posted on here at times. "

This, some of the folk on this thread were just waiting for the chance to start slating him. He's a good player, who is only 22 (2 years older than Caldwell). He will make mistakes, and will get better. Idiots.

Jonnyboy
27-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Like I said elsewhere, the miss was not the shocking thing to me it was the failure to look up and pick out Craig who was unmarked in front of the open goal.

I like JC and rate him unlike some. This £200k figure seems to be influencing views a bit too. RP implied at the AGM that the £200k figure was invented by the media

FromTheCapital
27-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Forgot football players never miss chances... :rolleyes:

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Some quite bizarre comments here. It was a bad miss but he's certainly not a terrible footballer like some are making out. Looked low on confidence yesterday after being dropped. His confidence will be right back up though if he's read 5 pages of how pish he is!

B.H.F.C
27-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Forgot football players never miss chances... :rolleyes:

They do. But he doesn't seem to get in there to miss them very often. 2 in 12 (I think) appearances.

Must do better. As must the whole team in fairness.

LioNeilMessi
27-10-2013, 10:58 PM
He's a good player and tries very hard. Not his best game when he came on yesterday and he didn't play well v Partick Thistle but I've been impressed with his performances before then. Might of been mentioned on the thread already but even the mighty Leigh Griffiths missed a sitter v Celtic in the League cup two years ago.

Pedantic_Hibee
27-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Shocking thread.

He'll be excellent once Fenlon produces a team that plays to his strengths. He's not a target man.

HoboHarry
27-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Torres missed a sitter for Chelsea today as well. He must be ***** anaw eh??? :rolleyes:

TAHibby
28-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Can't help but wonder how he'd be getting on in a side like Aberdeen with players like Hayes, Mcginn, Wylde etc all able to create. The way we play at the moment doesn't do much for him but I believe he is a good player and will come good, be it under the current chap or the next one employed at the club...

3pm
28-10-2013, 07:18 AM

Kris Doolan? Good one Andy.

Aldo
28-10-2013, 07:23 AM
The boy Ciftci at UTD does look good and has an eye for the goal.

Collins is a good player and like any strikers needs service in the right areas.

I believe he will score on Wed.

Berwickhibby
28-10-2013, 07:34 AM
I never said that James Collins is a bad player, but on Saturday he was culpable for a very bad miss, at the very least he should have worked the keeper. Football is all about opinions and my opinion remains that it was a bad miss. However while he pulls on a Hibernian shirt he will have my support and I hope he starts finding the back of the net regularly beginning on Wednesday GGTTH

Brightside
28-10-2013, 08:01 AM
:agree:We signed the type of striker who will score when he gets the right service and we play to his strengths, guy is a goal scorer and will score if this happens. I was kind of expecting that Fenlon might have noticed his playing style and how to use it to our best advantage before buying him rather than working it out later or experimenting and trying to use him differently, Time will tell.

We need to stop blaming players, esp strikers when they get NO service. This is 100% Fenlons way of playing. Coliins would score plenty if we got some crosses into him.

SMAXXA
28-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Kris Doolan? Good one Andy.

I seen that and thought WFT, but each to their own I guess

danhibees1875
28-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Like I said elsewhere, the miss was not the shocking thing to me it was the failure to look up and pick out Craig who was unmarked in front of the open goal.

I like JC and rate him unlike some. This £200k figure seems to be influencing views a bit too. RP implied at the AGM that the £200k figure was invented by the media

Exactly this. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Shocking thread.

He'll be excellent once Fenlon produces a team that plays to his strengths. He's not a target man.

Never gonna happen.

lucky
28-10-2013, 01:02 PM
He is a young guy who has played less than 10 games in anew country and a higher standard of football than he is used to but .net doom and gloom merchants have written him off already. Give him time. Leigh Griffiths hardly looked prolific when he first came to Hibs.

TheFamous1875
28-10-2013, 01:19 PM
I like him too, but he's completely different from LG. He needs service, and a good team working with him in the wide areas and behind him creating chances for him. Our way of football is starving him, and he's looking a lot worse than he is. E has a great work rates and I think he could be a great player if utilised properly.

Regardless of any positives, he should have levelled the ball for Craig to pass it in. That was a mistake on Collins' part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Green Goblin
28-10-2013, 01:28 PM
As someone else said, he was looking like he was settling in, then he was dropped. Why was that?

The Sea-gull
28-10-2013, 01:40 PM
All this "he is 22, new country, give him time" stuff is all well and good but we have signed him as our top striker. We don't have time to give him time. He needed to hit the ground running for us. He hasn't.

I don't mind signing a young striker with potential to complement our top sriker but if you are brought in as the main man then you have to be ready what ever age you are.

I'm sorry to say but thus far the James Collins signing looks a bad call from Petrie/Fenlon/the scouts or whoever was involved in signing him.

Irrespective of whether we play to his strengths or not, at that price I would be looking for more than 2 goals from 12 appearances. Three quarters of which have been starts.

Another bad call from the managerial genius that is Pat Fenlon.

The_Horde
28-10-2013, 02:48 PM
How many clear cut chances did we create on saturday?

How many goals have we scored this season?

It's nowt to do with Collins. We don't get the ball to the strikers quickly or well enough. We should be looking to get the ball to our creative forward players at every opportunity but we don't. We set up to just not get beaten every game.

It's pish.

rcarter1
28-10-2013, 06:42 PM
;3782308']How many clear cut chances did we create on saturday?

How many goals have we scored this season?

It's nowt to do with Collins. We don't get the ball to the strikers quickly or well enough. We should be looking to get the ball to our creative forward players at every opportunity but we don't. We set up to just not get beaten every game.

It's pish.

This. Bold in particular. Our midfield is still incapable of supporting our strikers properly. I suspect this is to keep things tighter at the back. Case in point vs Aberdeen, when we did push up after they went 1-0 up we were suddenly exposed. We are in a catch 22, as the midfield isnt quick enough to do both attacking and defending. Im always impressed by Collins workrate and attitude, but he's not a one man band. The manager will have to assess this in January, but if he ends up blaming his players for bad performances, then its going to go sour soon.

Paisley Hibby
28-10-2013, 07:58 PM

We need to start giving out forwards better service so their not relying on one decent chance a game.

Spot on. The problem is the way Fenlon sets us up to play. Only Hearts and East Fife have scored fewer goals than us in the whole of the SPFL this season. I feel Collins will come good once we get a half decent manager.

michael_wilson1
28-10-2013, 08:13 PM
whenever he gets the ball he looks so uncomfortable and always loses it, wouldnt play him on wednesday

silverhibee
28-10-2013, 08:16 PM
whenever he gets the ball he looks so uncomfortable and always loses it, wouldnt play him on wednesday

Who would you play instead of him.

cabbageandribs1875
28-10-2013, 08:17 PM
We need to stop blaming players, esp strikers when they get NO service. This is 100% Fenlons way of playing. Coliins would score plenty if we got some crosses into him.

a thing of the past down ER way the last two seasons

Holmesdale Hibs
28-10-2013, 11:16 PM
I don't think it was as bad a miss as some are making out. It was a good chance but not a sitter.

He's looked alright but it's difficult to judge him when the majority of service he receives is from big punts up the park. If he starts missing good chances every game then we can moan about him, but until then I think it's too early to tell.

matty_f
28-10-2013, 11:54 PM

If you actually watch Collins, he retains possession far more often than he loses it.

Dashing Bob S
28-10-2013, 11:58 PM

Who would you play upfront alongside the free-scoring Rowan Vine, in order to strike terror in the Jambo's defence and give us the cricket score we crave?

1two
29-10-2013, 06:53 AM
I think he's a confidence player

He needs to get a couple of goals one day and I'm sure we'll see the best of him.
Tomorrow would be a good day to start

hibbymick
29-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Who would you play upfront alongside the free-scoring Rowan Vine, in order to strike terror in the Jambo's defence and give us the cricket score we crave?

get yer cash on him scoring on Wednesday now :greengrin

Aldo
29-10-2013, 07:54 AM

He's only lost it because by the time the others get near him the opposition has surrounded him and taken the ball.

I've seen enough of him to see there is a player there. Let's get the ball to him in the box and see what he can do, not near the half way line.

rcarter1
29-10-2013, 08:10 AM
He's only lost it because by the time the others get near him the opposition has surrounded him and taken the ball.

I've seen enough of him to see there is a player there. Let's get the ball to him in the box and see what he can do, not near the half way line.

this. If he was playing for the better sides in this league he'd be a player we would be screaming out for.

Thecat23
29-10-2013, 08:19 AM

I honestly don't think folk have a clue when watching Hibs. Collins work rate closing defenders down is second to none. His touch is very good and believe me he doesn't "always" lose it when he has it. In fact he very rarely loses it. He holds it up well.

The stick on here he is getting is ****ing embarrassing. He's a good player simple as that. Try watching him on wed night and tell me if he's still a "bad" player.

Aldo
29-10-2013, 08:44 AM
I honestly don't think folk have a clue when watching Hibs. Collins work rate closing defenders down is second to none. His touch is very good and believe me he doesn't "always" lose it when he has it. In fact he very rarely loses it. He holds it up well. The stick on here he is getting is ****ing embarrassing. He's a good player simple as that. Try watching him on wed night and tell me if he's still a "bad" player.

Tbh TC the poster has also slated Collins on the Deek thread. Maybe he's on a wee trip (if you get my drift).

Given the correct service and that includes Heff into the right areas then I am more that certain they will score. But the service has to right.

The Sea-gull
29-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Exactly. There is nobody else really. With Heff cup tied, Caldwell out of favour and Handling not really looking like an out and out striker it has to be JC and Rowan vine.

Personally, I would like to see Caldwell get a run of games. It's not like others have been banging them in.

To be fair to Vine, he's not really an out and out striker but I have serious question marks over Fenlon's signings in the forward areas. Only Heff has proven he can score regularly in the SPL.

People say Fenlon has assembled a balanced squad. Perhaps, on paper anyway, he has but as far as I can see, we still toil at right back, central defence still has a tendancy to go missing, midfield lacks creativity and I don't think Fenlon knows how to play wide players. Then to cap it all we have strikers who are starved of service and whose confidence is evapourating by the week.

We saw him do it last year - decides a front two isn't working so goes to one up front. Only this time we don't have Leigh Griffiths. Not even anyone close. We'll challenge either side of the top 6 this year in a yawn fest of a season. Got to hope we do well in the cups to keep the interest up.

Still, in wee Pat we trust.......................

The Modfather
29-10-2013, 10:34 AM

Petrie giving a vague answer at an AGM. I've seen it all now!! :dizzy:

greenlex
29-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I honestly don't think folk have a clue when watching Hibs. Collins work rate closing defenders down is second to none. His touch is very good and believe me he doesn't "always" lose it when he has it. In fact he very rarely loses it. He holds it up well.

The stick on here he is getting is ****ing embarrassing. He's a good player simple as that. Try watching him on wed night and tell me if he's still a "bad" player.
Couldn't agree more. I think the poor football has too many folk playing games on their phones and they must only glance up occasionally.

FitbaFolkKen
29-10-2013, 01:31 PM

How is going for an option twice as expensive penny pinching?

FitbaFolkKen
29-10-2013, 01:36 PM
I like Collins, he's strong, decent movement, good in a the air and can hit a shot. The return of Harris/Cairney could provide him with better service as either of them will give more of an attacking threat from midfield.

we are writing off these players far too soon

Spike Mandela
29-10-2013, 02:36 PM
I like Collins, he's strong, decent movement, good in a the air and can hit a shot. The return of Harris/Cairney could provide him with better service as either of them will give more of an attacking threat from midfield.

we are writing off these players far too soon

What better opportunity is there to win over the doubters than with a cup derby performance.

Leishy1995
29-10-2013, 02:41 PM
I really don't understand why everyone is hyping cairney's return when I've seen posts saying he has struggled for EOS and u20s. Harris I'm buzzing to see back, but not Paul. He needs to go back to running with the ball and teasing ful backs and the way he played in the latter half of last season showed zero confidence to do that.

hibsbollah
29-10-2013, 03:20 PM
I have a feeling Collins will score tomorrow.

3pm
29-10-2013, 03:35 PM
I have a feeling Collins will score tomorrow.

Billy Brown knows him cos he mentioned the price tag in his presser that was shown on SSN!

CmoantheHibs
29-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Personally I think he is a cracking player but we haven't got the players/style that suits his game yet.He runs his socks off, holds the ball up well(considering he is so isolated he still manages to retain possession for the team a good percentage of the time)and has a good goalscoring record.Give the team more of a licence to get forward and I think he will score loads and we will take the league by storm.

FitbaFolkKen
29-10-2013, 05:47 PM
What better opportunity is there to win over the doubters than with a cup derby performance.

Fingers crossed!

rcarter1
29-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Personally I think he is a cracking player but we haven't got the players/style that suits his game yet.He runs his socks off, holds the ball up well(considering he is so isolated he still manages to retain possession for the team a good percentage of the time)and has a good goalscoring record.Give the team more of a licence to get forward and I think he will score loads and we will take the league by storm.

Indeed. He must have a case for being the most frustrated forward in the SPFL. Doesnt help that Heff seems to have stolen the good vibes in the striking department. I actually think they are both really good 'Top half of top 6' players.

bigwheel
29-10-2013, 06:30 PM

Agree with this. He is a top notch striker for our level. We need to give him service and he will get goals - great ability.

jakeshibs
29-10-2013, 07:04 PM

I agree:agree:

jakeshibs
29-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I hope he scores tomorrow night, it will win over the doubters just scoring against them:greengrin

NorthNorfolkHFC
29-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Here here. We'll said.

ancient hibee
29-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Collins is fine-strong and brave-makes good runs -lacks a little pace but positional play will make up for that once we have someone give him the ball at the right time.

Jonnyboy
29-10-2013, 08:17 PM

This 100%

It was always going to be a tough gig replacing Leigh and sadly the modern day need by many for instant success creates pressure on players that they frankly don't need.

JC is a good player. He holds the ball up well more often than not and his work rate is excellent. As others have said, if he gets the service he will score goals

rcarter1
29-10-2013, 08:21 PM
This 100%

It was always going to be a tough gig replacing Leigh and sadly the modern day need by many for instant success creates pressure on players that they frankly don't need.

JC is a good player. He holds the ball up well more often than not and his work rate is excellent. As others have said, if he gets the service he will score goals

And he knows the finer points of forwards play - like chasing down the keeper - something he was pointing out to young Handling.

Onion
29-10-2013, 08:28 PM

:agree: He's another hard working player and does a power of thankless work up front, but his job is to score goals. He will be judged on the goals he scores - plain and simple. His primary job is scoring goals. He can be a superb player, great control, good link up player, give 100%, but he needs to score goals. Griffiths was not a team player, he rarely passed the ball. He was greedy and selfish.... but boy did he score goals. Griffith is a top player, loved by the Hibs fans for two reasons:

1. He ran and ran; tried his bullocks off.
2. He scored goals, great goals, plain goals, lots of goals.

Collins need to start doing No 2.

rcarter1
29-10-2013, 08:37 PM
:agree: He's another hard working player and does a power of thankless work up front, but his job is to score goals. He will be judged on the goals he scores - plain and simple. His primary job is scoring goals. He can be a superb player, great control, good link up player, give 100%, but he needs to score goals. Griffiths was not a team player, he rarely passed the ball. He was greedy and selfish.... but boy did he score goals. Griffith is a top player, loved by the Hibs fans for two reasons:

1. He ran and ran; tried his bullocks off.
2. He scored goals, great goals, plain goals, lots of goals.

Collins need to start doing No 2.

Youve highlighted the big difference between the two. Griffiths scores in spite of the team, and Collins will score as part of a team - in an attacking sense, we are not much of a team, but it isnt Collins at fault.

Onion
29-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Youve highlighted the big difference between the two. Griffiths scores in spite of the team, and Collins will score as part of a team - in an attacking sense, we are not much of a team, but it isnt Collins at fault.

Not sure if anyone is blaming Collins for anything as most see that he's not getting the support he needs. Our midfield on Saturday was awful. But when the chances come, he is really under pressure to take them. Not the fans fault, the fault of our manager and midfield which appears to have forgotten that the object of the game is to put the ball in the net at the other end of the pitch.

rcarter1
29-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Not sure if anyone is blaming Collins for anything as most see that he's not getting the support he needs. Our midfield on Saturday was awful. But when the chances come, he is really under pressure to take them. Not the fans fault, the fault of our manager and midfield which appears to have forgotten that the object of the game is to put the ball in the net at the other end of the pitch.

Agree he is under more pressure to score the few chances that come his way. If he wasnt, he might have squared for Liam on Saturday. Even Griffiths had a tricky start with us when missing some early chances.

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Agree he is under more pressure to score the few chances that come his way. If he wasnt, he might have squared for Liam on Saturday. Even Griffiths had a tricky start with us when missing some early chances.

This.

I was at a great angle on Saturday and from Collins point of view it looked like the keeper was going to be up in time to save his shot. I agree though that if he had hit it first time he may have scored. At no time did he look up to find support, but a striker in need of a goal probably wont.

I think the stick the guy is getting is out of order. To compare him to LG is just mental, about 2 thirds of the goals Griffiths scored he created himself. Most professional strikers labour under the impression that its their job to stick away chances. How can you do that in a team which creates one every 90 minutes and the strikers need binoculars to see the nearest midfield player.

The fact that Pat Fenlon has seen fit to drop the guy is seen by some as Collins failure. I see it as Fenlon's failure and a condemnation of the fact that its his negative style of play which is preventing our strikers from scoring. 9 goals in the first round of games speaks volumes.

On that note I see that the slagging of Zoubir has already started. The guy might tackle like a fairy and fail to track back, but if we were any bloody good we would have room in the team for a player like that so long as he could beat a man and get into the box. Unfortunately that appears to be low on the list of priorities.

Thecat23
30-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Collins to score first and Hibs to win 2-0 28/1 I'm all over it like a tight rain coat.

Aldo
30-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Collins to score first and Hibs to win 2-0 28/1 I'm all over it like a tight rain coat.

That's tempting mate very tempting.

Thecat23
30-10-2013, 10:35 AM
That's tempting mate very tempting.

It's happening mate trust me ;)

Aldo
30-10-2013, 10:37 AM
It's happening mate trust me ;)

The way my lucks been going tho mate. But will have a wee look at that.

Brightside
30-10-2013, 10:42 AM

I've said it many times now. Loads of people just don't watch the game and never see the movement that some players make off the ball. Collins is a proper player. BUT he's wasted in our team at the moment. Samuel E'To would look rubbish playing for the Hibs at the moment.

MotherSuperior
30-10-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm sorry but he is garbage.

NOLA
30-10-2013, 08:39 PM
swindon getting us back for alan o'brien 200k ffs

CRAZYHIBBY
30-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Just rank rotten

northern-hibee
30-10-2013, 08:55 PM
One of the worst ever

Mixu62
30-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Angry, very very angry. Liam Criag *****, Collins, biggest waste of money this season, Vine, utterly dire. Fenlon - simply not good enough. Bringing Zoubir on with 16 minutes to go?!! Have a f***ing word you clown!! Please just leave. That's the polite version of what I'd like to say to you.

Del Boy
30-10-2013, 09:00 PM
He's crap.

LaMotta
30-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Just rank rotten

Some shocking posts on this thread claiming he is a cracking player and that people who arent seeing this dont have a clue. Well after another abject performance where he gave the ball away at least 70 percent of the time im going stick to with my opinion.

I would suggest anyone who thinks he is a cracking player doesnt have a clue

sleeping giant
30-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Furious, embarrassed, enough, end of

You are a troll.

loanheadhibby
30-10-2013, 09:10 PM
One of the worst ever

Honking is the word you are looking for.

vine is worse tho. Who is worse, lee power or vine?

LaMotta
30-10-2013, 10:58 PM

Watched him closely tonight - he is a bad player.

AFKA5814_Hibs
30-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Whatever we paid for him it was too much.

leithsansiro
30-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I think that there's several reason's why he's doomed to fail for Hibs, and none of them are because he's gash.

He's not Griffiths - coming to a club to replace the most prolific (and fan adored) marksman for years is a hard shift
We paid serious money for him, and with that comes pressure
We don't play to his strengths - he is never going to score 20+ a season if we hoof it up to him and offer no support

I genuinely believe that if and when he moves on to another club, he'll show he's a decent forward. When he plays with decent support (such as Hefferman or an on-form Craig), he looks much better.

SteveHFC
30-10-2013, 11:42 PM
£200k :faf:

FitbaFolkKen
30-10-2013, 11:51 PM
You would think this guy is a seasoned pro stepping into a performing team. He is 22 years old, give the lad a break.

seanshow
30-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Like Mcpake & Taiwo, Collins has been left out the team and lost confidence, subsequently his first touch and control is horrible.

What you cannot excuse is the lack of pace and fitness....He needs the old style laps of Arthur's seat or along Portobello asap.
He's Nade-esque at the moment, shocking condition!!

Sammy7nil
30-10-2013, 11:58 PM
I think that there's several reason's why he's doomed to fail for Hibs, and none of them are because he's gash.

He's not Griffiths - coming to a club to replace the most prolific (and fan adored) marksman for years is a hard shift
We paid serious money for him, and with that comes pressure
We don't play to his strengths - he is never going to score 20+ a season if we hoof it up to him and offer no support

I genuinely believe that if and when he moves on to another club, he'll show he's a decent forward. When he plays with decent support (such as Hefferman or an on-form Craig), he looks much better.

I am not having a pop but not sure what his strengths are is he one trick pony that needs balls played in from the bye line?
If so i was hoping for just a wee bit more :rolleyes:

Jones28
31-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Jury out on Collins. He's still a young guy and we are still playing as though Leigh griffiths is still in the team. Strikers get the ball outside the box and are expected to do the rest. Noticed this against Aberdeen and tonight.

He needs proper service, into feet or in the air on the head.

ForeverHibs93
31-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Jury out on Collins. He's still a young guy and we are still playing as though Leigh griffiths is still in the team. Strikers get the ball outside the box and are expected to do the rest. Noticed this against Aberdeen and tonight.

He needs proper service, into feet or in the air on the head.
All he got tonight was KABOOOOMMMM *ball flies in to box, hearts clear* *repeat* *repeat* *repeat infinitely*

Sir David Gray
31-10-2013, 12:16 AM
To think that Collins was billed as the big replacement for Griffiths.

I was nearly in tears at half time seeing Griffiths again and realising what we had lost from last season.

It's enough to give you nightmares.

The guy might still come good but the signs aren't great.

cleanyman
31-10-2013, 12:19 AM
People can point to lack of service etc.

But....his general hold up play is really, really poor. I've seen him enough this season, his first touch is like a brick wall. Reminds me of Colin Nish.

Hibby 2005
31-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Collins off and Vine stays on, only Pat could explain that one.

Jonnyboy
31-10-2013, 12:21 AM
To think that Collins was billed as the big replacement for Griffiths.

I was nearly in tears at half time seeing Griffiths again and realising what we had lost from last season.

It's enough to give you nightmares.

The guy might still come good but the signs aren't great.

Therein lies the problem FH. Replacing Leigh was never going to be easy. JC has that burden to carry as well as playing in a team whose manager thinks creating chances comes after defending, two holding midfielders, no width and picking Vine. What chance did the laddie stand!

leithsansiro
31-10-2013, 12:34 AM
People can point to lack of service etc.

But....his general hold up play is really, really poor. I've seen him enough this season, his first touch is like a brick wall. Reminds me of Colin Nish.

You can't hold the ball up if there's nobody coming to support...

MrRobot
31-10-2013, 12:34 AM
Zoubir should have replaced Vine and told to get down the wing crossing to Collins.

Collins looks a good player, Fenlob doesn't seen to have a clue how to play to his strengths though.

And I do not believe Caldwell will make it at Hibs.

cleanyman
31-10-2013, 12:35 AM
You can't hold the ball up if there's nobody coming to support...

.....Whit?

Never mind that, he can't even control the ball to hold it up.

The Voice Of Reason
31-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Collins was poor tonight again. Based on what I've seen of him so far, he is never a £200,000 (or so) player !

Him and Vine up front and no pace in the team.............enough said, we are a really average side at best.

carnoustiehibee
31-10-2013, 12:39 AM
Therein lies the problem FH. Replacing Leigh was never going to be easy. JC has that burden to carry as well as playing in a team whose manager thinks creating chances comes after defending, two holding midfielders, no width and picking Vine. What chance did the laddie stand!

Collins 1st 2nd 3rd 4th touch was ****ing terrible and has been since he signed.

green.and.white
31-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Collins isn't a target man, and he is dreadful with the ball at his feet and at holding up the ball, and he is slow and doesn't make runs in behind... So what the hell is he?

SouthamptonHibs
31-10-2013, 04:09 AM
Terrible player, can't run, shoot, pass, hold the ball up, the boy is terrible. Mind you he is not as bad as Vine. Hope Hibs play Caldwell and Heff all season both vine and Collins should never get a chance to wear a hibs Jersey again

Bleeds green
31-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Whoever it was needs punted, never a 200k signing in his life, he's a tryer and never shirks away from the ball but I'm afraid he's just no got it...and how slow is he to turn!!!

Leishy1995
31-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Whoever it was needs punted, never a 200k signing in his life, he's a tryer and never shirks away from the ball but I'm afraid he's just no got it...and how slow is he to turn!!!

You're right, he was never a 200k signing.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Don't get hung up on a price tag that was never made public.
Re his touch I think his first touch is pretty good certainly not the worst at the club and whilst there maybe the occasion where things don't work out I don't think his 1,2,3,4 touches have been honking since he signed.

Collective confidence has been eroded. Time to go Pat.

Sergio sledge
31-10-2013, 10:22 AM
He said when he came that he wasn't a target man. He's being played as a target man and getting high balls lumped up to him all game. Remember how bad O'Connor looked when Bobby Williamson told everyone to punt the ball up to somewhere near O'Connor and we'd play from there? Remember the turnaround when Mowbray came in and started playing to O'Connor's strengths?

IMHO Collins is similar to O'Connor in that he likes getting the ball to feet facing goal, rather than landing on his head with his back to goal. The one time he really got the ball in this situation he drove forward and forced a good save out of MacDonald in the first half.

SeanWilson
31-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Don't get hung up on a price tag that was never made public.
Re his touch I think his first touch is pretty good certainly not the worst at the club and whilst there maybe the occasion where things don't work out I don't think his 1,2,3,4 touches have been honking since he signed.

Collective confidence has been eroded. Time to go Pat.

You have to be kidding on the first touch.... It may well be down to lack of confidence, however as it currently stands (i have no knowledge of him prior to hibs), he has the first touch of a tractor.

I actually think Collins (at times) looks like he could be a good holding striker/someone who could get himself on to crosses etc. I also see him positioning himself (at times) for a through ball, however it just never comes. Ball gets just past halfway line, Mcgivern/Lewis/Craig then looks for Thomson, who nine times out of ten passes back to Hanlon/Nelson etc... Hoof.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to see James Collins play football, however i cannot see it under PF.

Heisenberg
31-10-2013, 10:24 AM
He's maybe a bit of a penalty box striker? I'm hoping he is and we've just not given him the service yet as he's hopeless when asked to be a target man.

green day
03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I know he came on as a subby, and didnt get that many touches, but - kinda like a keeper who does nowt all game and has a great save - strikers (good ones that is) should just need a sniff.

He should have slotted that chance at the end, but I dont want to slag him off too much - as I said, he did come on as a sub.

Is it a confidence thing, or are we just not giving him enough ammo?

Hermit Crab
03-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Shocking miss. Simple as that.

Alfred E Newman
03-11-2013, 02:46 PM
I know he came on as a subby, and didnt get that many touches, but - kinda like a keeper who does nowt all game and has a great save - strikers (good ones that is) should just need a sniff.

He should have slotted that chance at the end, but I dont want to slag him off too much - as I said, he did come on as a sub.

Is it a confidence thing, or are we just not giving him enough ammo?

Strikers like Collins need wide players to feed off. Our recently departed manager did not believe in them.

green.and.white
03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Strikers like Collins need wide players to feed off. Our recently departed manager did not believe in them.

Another myth. Collins never wins headers when its played high up to him, what makes you (and everyone else who thinks we need service from out wide) that he will win headers from crosses? The guy is useless.

Onion
03-11-2013, 03:01 PM

Yip, but he'll make us forget about Griffiths, apparently :faf:

Beefster
03-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I think we should resurrect this thread every time he takes a shot and doesn't score. That'll help him succeed.

For the record, a whole load of half-wits on here were writing Claros and Griffiths off at the end of 2011/12.

green day
03-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I think we should resurrect this thread every time he takes a shot and doesn't score. That'll help him succeed.

For the record, a whole load of half-wits on here were writing Claros and Griffiths off at the end of 2011/12.

Indeed.

That was my point, I don't think he is crap, but perhaps needs the ball played in to him at pace from the wings etc?

If so, and PF brought him here but didn't spot the glaringly obvious gap in that plan - well that kinda sums up PF as a manager/tactician really!

green.and.white
03-11-2013, 03:22 PM

And could you blame them? Claros was absolutely disgraceful in that cup final and was honking when he first joined us. He came good, in fact great, and we all hope Collins does the same but right now, he is utter p*sh, and we will call him so until he stops playing p*sh.

Beefster
03-11-2013, 03:35 PM
And could you blame them? Claros was absolutely disgraceful in that cup final and was honking when he first joined us. He came good, in fact great, and we all hope Collins does the same but right now, he is utter p*sh, and we will call him so until he stops playing p*sh.

That's the spirit. I'm surprised that teachers don't follow the "green.and.white" theory of motivation and development. You could be onto a winner.

Elephant Stone
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM

This place is becoming unbearable. :faf:

green.and.white
03-11-2013, 03:49 PM
That's the spirit. I'm surprised that teachers don't follow the "green.and.white" theory of motivation and development. You could be onto a winner.

Hilarious. I think Collins is terrible, and I'm not the only person on here who thinks so. I'm not on here to motivate players, I'm here to give my OPINIONS.

green.and.white
03-11-2013, 03:57 PM
This place is becoming unbearable. :faf:

And you can get off your high horse as well :greengrin Like you have never had an opinion of a player, Hibs or otherwise, that has changed over time :confused:

Bronson
03-11-2013, 05:47 PM
The guy has been a massive disappointment so far. Had a great track record and he hasn't lived to expectation. I know he's still quite young but i've yet to see what qualities he has really brought to the team. Heffernan by far and away a superior player.

I'll give collins a chance, i do genuinely believe he'll come good, just not impressed with what i've seen so far.

Alfred E Newman
03-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Another myth. Collins never wins headers when its played high up to him, what makes you (and everyone else who thinks we need service from out wide) that he will win headers from crosses? The guy is useless.

There is a difference in attacking crosses and trying to get your head to long lumps up the park. I know what good defenders would rather face. The guy might well be useless but don't judge him on his inability to win headers from service he never receives.

Moon unit
03-11-2013, 06:58 PM
There is a difference in attacking crosses and trying to get your head to long lumps up the park. I know what good defenders would rather face. The guy might well be useless but don't judge him on his inability to win headers from service he never receives.
I'd stick with the Guy, he will come good and the only way that will happen is to play him!..decent record at Swindon.