PDA

View Full Version : Rugby League World Cup

LancashireHibby
25-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Starts tomorrow, off to Cardiff early doors for England v Australia then Wales v Italy. All of the England games are on BBC1 but Premier Sports are covering every game. Going to New Zealand v Samoa on Sunday and Fiji vs Ireland on Monday plus a few more the following week, can't wait!

Pretty Boy
25-10-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm sure i saw earlier that Wales are at 6/4 with the bookies to beat Italy. That must be worth a few pound.

mrdependable
25-10-2013, 08:57 PM
I went to a Scotland game in last world cup (at Tynecastle, im afraid) and have also been to magic weekend and the Challenge Cup final at Murrayfield, so im looking forward to watching some of the world cup. :aok:

LancashireHibby
26-10-2013, 01:57 AM
I'm sure i saw earlier that Wales are at 6/4 with the bookies to beat Italy. That must be worth a few pound.

You'd think so, but Italy have got a lot of NRL experience and beat England last weekend! I've got an England-Wales double at 8.5/1.

HH81
26-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Currently got tickets for 2 games. LH can you pay at the gate for all games?

The dance offer at shay was very good, got tickets for 5 quid :greengrin

LancashireHibby
26-10-2013, 04:39 AM
Might struggle for some of the games pal, only 300 left for Fiji v Ireland on Monday. Bought tickets in batches so it's been a bargain, especially going in the cheaper areas and the voucher codes knocking about.

HH81
26-10-2013, 06:46 AM
I wanted to do that game Monday but working till 8:rolleyes:

Are you going to shay game should be good crowd.

HH81
26-10-2013, 10:05 AM
What does that stand behind the posts at Leigh hold?

LancashireHibby
27-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Yeah I'm going to the Shay. Think North at Leigh holds about 3,000. Went to the New Zealand-Samoa game tonight, absolutely amazing.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Scotland win 26-24 after being 20-4 up at HT.

LancashireHibby
29-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Scotland win 26-24 after being 20-4 up at HT.
What an utterly fantastic game, the best I've seen since, well, last night! Had a fiver on Scotland from scratch at 7/1 so that'll come in handy for the trip tomorrow :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Never actually watched any of it, too busy switching between The Emirates, Barca and Inter. Beer vouchers are always handy though!

worcesterhibby
08-11-2013, 09:06 AM
With Scotland doing pretty well in the Rugby League World Cup I have watched the highlights of a couple of the games and got a little more interested in the team. Unfortunately what I have found is that the whole thing is a complete farce (IMHO). Of the 24 man Scotland Squad only two players were either born in Scotland or have lived in Scotland. Almost the entire team is actually English or Australian. In fact it would be a lot more honest if they were representing Yorkshire as that is where the majority of the players were born and bred. They aren't Scottish by any stretch of the imagination.

I will guarantee you that every one of the guys playing for Scotland (apart from Russell and Scott who are both from Scotland) would have stated their nationality as either English or Australian if you had asked them before their call up. If they had thought they had any chance of representing England or Australia they would be playing for them instead of Scotland. International sport is just nuts these days.

E10 Rifle
08-11-2013, 09:12 AM
I actually think what they have achieved is brilliant and the fact they are winning shows more passion for our country than many international teams we've put out in the past across many different sports. For me, I'm right behind them and have long since given up with the notion that you have to be born here to play for us. What they have achieved may just drive more home-grown players to take up a sport that has very little, if any grounding in our country.
:saltireflag
'Mon the Bravehearts (and Tonga)

cabbageandribs1875
08-11-2013, 09:30 AM
good result in beating USA last night but we have to rely on Tonga taking at least a point from Italy, what a great chance we blew the other night by ending up drawing with Italy when we were quite a few points in front at one stage, still....a QF with the holders New Zealand awaits the winner of group C

Sergio sledge
08-11-2013, 09:36 AM
With Scotland doing pretty well in the Rugby League World Cup I have watched the highlights of a couple of the games and got a little more interested in the team. Unfortunately what I have found is that the whole thing is a complete farce (IMHO). Of the 24 man Scotland Squad only two players were either born in Scotland or have lived in Scotland. Almost the entire team is actually English or Australian. In fact it would be a lot more honest if they were representing Yorkshire as that is where the majority of the players were born and bred. They aren't Scottish by any stretch of the imagination.

I will guarantee you that every one of the guys playing for Scotland (apart from Russell and Scott who are both from Scotland) would have stated their nationality as either English or Australian if you had asked them before their call up. If they had thought they had any chance of representing England or Australia they would be playing for them instead of Scotland. International sport is just nuts these days.

Danny Brough actually switched to represent England in 2009 but didn't manage to make an appearance for them so decided to play for Scotland again when he realised he wasn't going to get a game for England.

The difficulty that Scotland RL have is that they can't grow the game in Scotland without exposure, and they can't get exposure without playing at a decent level which means they have to select players who probably don't / didn't ever class themselves as Scottish or have many links to Scotland. International eligibility is a difficult thing though as there are so many complications in who should be allowed to play for which countries.

I don't think you can doubt this squads commitment to the cause though, they have been excellent so far.

Come on Tonga on Sunday!

DaveF
09-11-2013, 07:55 PM

I just had a quick look at at the SRU squad page and found 6 backs who were not born in Scotland. I didn't bother looking for more. Over the last 10 years, England's RU side has been well represented with players born elsewhere and it's rife in other sports too.

Of course Scotland RL is going to grab players from all over. As sergio has stated, the game is trying to get a foothold in here so any exposure it can get will do it the world of good. I'd like to think the Super League will give a franchise to Scotland but with the failed attempt in Wales that might not happen for a few years yet, which is a shame as rugby league is a great game to watch.

LancashireHibby
09-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Noticed your posting on TotalRL WH, certainly an interesting debate. Must admit I'm an Englishman who was at the game on Thursday night and belted out Flower of Scotland with pride, and that wasn't even close to the passion shown by the lads on the field. Even got on telly at half time in my Scotland hoody and Sect43 scarf!

Off to HH's patch tomorrow to watch the game. Would have cheered on Tonga anyway as they've been based in Leigh throughout the tournament, but it takes on extra significance now! See you in the Three Pigeons, John!

LancashireHibby
09-11-2013, 08:11 PM
BTW Sergio I'd also point out that Brough has been arguably the best 'British' half back in the Super League this season and there was all sorts of clamour to get him in the England squad, but he said all along he was only interested in playing for Scotland, fair play to him.

HH81
09-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Got a feeling i could be rough tomorrow:greengrin

HH81
10-11-2013, 07:08 AM
I was correct :agree:.

I am going on in fax for early game so dont kniw where i will be Matt,. I will message youu.

Didn't catch you at Leigh other day but thought it was decent.

DaveF
10-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Scotland qualify and play the Kiwi's next as Tonga beat Italy 16-0

HH81
10-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Scotland qualify and play the Kiwi's next as Tonga beat Italy 16-0

I thought it was a poor game today. Having thought about my 5 min drive home and how LancashireHibs were getting home all seems not so bad.

Anyone know when the Scotland game is? if its at Warrungton next Sunday I already have a ticket.

jodjam
10-11-2013, 08:10 PM
I thought it was a poor game today. Having thought about my 5 min drive home and how LancashireHibs were getting home all seems not so bad.

Anyone know when the Scotland game is? if its at Warrungton next Sunday I already have a ticket.

Friday at headingley

LancashireHibby
11-11-2013, 01:02 AM
I thought it was a cracking game, really enjoyed it. Got home about 20 minutes ago John though in fairness we were back in Leigh for 10ish!

PatHead
15-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Not watched any of it so far but being a Hibs supporting gloryhunter wondered if it was on "it tellybox tonight"? (Think that is how you speak in Lancs)

Jonnyboy
15-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Not watched any of it so far but being a Hibs supporting gloryhunter wondered if it was on "it tellybox tonight"? (Think that is how you speak in Lancs)

Here you go K

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24928518

HH81
16-11-2013, 07:40 PM
LH you off to Warrington tomorrow? If so see you there :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
23-11-2013, 01:56 PM
superb finish to the first SF....New Zealand 20-18 v the hosts

jodjam
23-11-2013, 01:59 PM
England seconds away from the final. Some finish

DaveF
23-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Not often that I feel sorry for England, but that was really harsh on them today. I thought they played really well and it was a fantastic game to watch. Burgess will be sick at making that high tackle. Without that, England were through.