PDA

View Full Version : Alex Cropley

Hibs History
25-10-2013, 03:09 PM
There's a new book coming out in November about Hibs legend and Turnbull's Tornado Alex Cropley

Written by club historian Tom Wright, it's sure to be a great read.

A sneak preview - Link (http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/blog/item/175-crops-the-alex-cropley-story)

Crops - The Alex Cropley Story

Please leave your memories of Alex Cropley below

GGTTH

poolman
25-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Genius left peg

Crops was a great player to watch

A real shame he had those bad injuries :agree:

cmcd
25-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Genius left peg

Crops was a great player to watch

A real shame he had those bad injuries :agree:
Very slim and very skillful Strong as an ox and could run all day What more could you ask

brog
25-10-2013, 03:55 PM
A magnificent player & too brave for his own good. I hope the book covers his broken leg at Falkirk, inflicted by Sir AF & the story of how Shades tried to break down the dressing room door to get at Fergie, maybe thats in the Shades book! My Xmas list is full already, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Shades & now Crops!

J-C
25-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Fantastic player in a fantastic team, enough said

Stantons Angel
25-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Alex Cropley: a player of considerable talent with the heart of a lion that played an important role in the football the Tornadoes put together from his midfield position. IMO he didnt really get the recogition he deserved by playing alongside a team of such talent.

Even thought Alex was small and slim in stature he managed to boss the oposition players with his guil and speed and was often seen sending a pinpoint pass over the field to either Arthur of Erich going down the left wing.

The injuries inflicted on him cut short his career but left the fans with memories of displays never to be forgotten.

Hope his book sells well for him. GGTTH.

Sergey
25-10-2013, 06:17 PM
He was guest of honour at the London Hibs Burns Night a few years ago and I had the misfortune to be sat at his table. Jesus, he was hard work. To say he was dour and sullen would be doing him a favour.

I also had a guest with me who remembered him play while he was at Crystal Palace and he gave up trying to converse with him after a few minutes.

I don't expect the book to be full of too many humourous anecdotes.

Hamish
25-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Alex Cropley: a player of considerable talent with the heart of a lion that played an important role in the football the Tornadoes put together from his midfield position. IMO he didnt really get the recogition he deserved by playing alongside a team of such talent.

Even thought Alex was small and slim in stature he managed to boss the oposition players with his guil and speed and was often seen sending a pinpoint pass over the field to either Arthur of Erich going down the left wing.

The injuries inflicted on him cut short his career but left the fans with memories of displays never to be forgotten.

Hope his book sells well for him. GGTTH.

:agree: ah the memories- when you were genuinely excited about what you were going to see at ER.

Or maybe I am just getting like the auld guys then who would tell you that Turnbull's team couldnae lace the boots of the team of the 50's

Hiber-nation
25-10-2013, 06:37 PM
He was guest of honour at the London Hibs Burns Night a few years ago and I had the misfortune to be sat at his table. Jesus, he was hard work. To say he was dour and sullen would be doing him a favour.

I also had a guest with me who remembered him play while he was at Crystal Palace and he gave up trying to converse with him after a few minutes.

I found him to be like that at first when he ran his boozer but when I had my stag there he was brilliant company, telling some great tales about the old days. Shame he got the bottles of Tennents in, that was just daft...

Anyway, he was my favourite player when I was young, magical left foot.

Tom Hart RIP
25-10-2013, 06:42 PM
I remember his double in the 7-0 game and him going into a 50-50 challenge with John Greig who got carried off.
I am certain that I read a q&a in Shoot for Osvaldo Ardiles and when asked about his toughest opponent he said Alex Cropley. No one believes me but I am convinced. Can anybody else remember reading that?

CropleyWasGod
25-10-2013, 06:44 PM
40-yard crossfield balls to John Brownlie.

:agree:

Jonnyboy
25-10-2013, 06:53 PM
A wonderful player with poise, balance and a crunching tackle that left a few wondering what had hit them!

eastterrace
25-10-2013, 06:58 PM
I found him to be like that at first when he ran his boozer but when I had my stag there he was brilliant company, telling some great tales about the old days. Shame he got the bottles of Tennents in, that was just daft...

Anyway, he was my favourite player when I was young, magical left foot.

use to drink in his bar as well (my wife worked behind the bar) hes a nice guy but very rarely talked about his career, so maybe a bit quiet. he was agreat player in a great hibs team. still lets on to us when we bump into him and his wife.

ShadesLongThrow
25-10-2013, 07:00 PM
My memory of him was an extraordinary goal at Tynecastle where he scored from the bye-line. I was behind the goals that day and still can't believe he scored from that angle!

PatHead
25-10-2013, 07:00 PM

I usually like your posts but why? just why? Apart from being a genuine Hibs legend, a word used far too often nowadays, I have met Alex a few times at the Radical Road, he is a decent guy. No need for your comments.

lapsedhibee
25-10-2013, 07:02 PM
A wonderful player with poise, balance and a crunching tackle that left a few wondering what had hit them!

Modern player that reminds me most of him is Wilshere - has the same way of going in for tackles which unfortunately leaves him open to injury imo. I think, sadly, the tackling style may have contributed to the relative shortness of Crops's career. Great player though.

davym7062
25-10-2013, 07:05 PM
he drinks in the radical road (right wing), really nice guy, very quiet :not worth

Jonnyboy
25-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Modern player that reminds me most of him is Wilshere - has the same way of going in for tackles which unfortunately leaves him open to injury imo. I think, sadly, the tackling style may have contributed to the relative shortness of Crops's career. Great player though.

Agreed. Three separate leg breaks surely took a toll.

Pretty Boy
25-10-2013, 07:14 PM
What ever became of his son Jordan who was with us for a while?

I know he was released but has he done much elsewhere?

Sergey
25-10-2013, 07:18 PM
I usually like your posts but why? just why? Apart from being a genuine Hibs legend, a word used far too often nowadays, I have met Alex a few times at the Radical Road, he is a decent guy. No need for your comments.

We put a shed-load of work into organising the evening in question and paid for Alex (and his wife), all expenses paid, for a two night stay in London and he barely showed one iota of gratitude.

I don't doubt that he is/was a Hibernian legend, and I travelled to Villa Park to pick up a memento from their club historian who held him in similar regard, but that doesn't deflect from the fact that he didn't cover himself in glory that evening.

Sorry if that ruffles a few feathers.

PatHead
25-10-2013, 07:21 PM
We put a shed-load of work into organising the evening in question and paid for Alex (and his wife), all expenses paid, for a two night stay in London and he barely showed one iota of gratitude.

I don't doubt that he is/was a Hibernian legend, and I travelled to Villa Park to pick up a memento from their club historian who held him in similar regard, but that doesn't deflect from the fact that he didn't cover himself in glory that evening.

Sorry if that ruffles a few feathers.

Always believed if you didn't have something nice to say..............just feel now isn't the time or place for your comments.

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-10-2013, 07:23 PM
I know Alex fairly well and he is a sound guy, also used to drink in his pub but sadly his wife didn't really fancy a crowd of us drinking there most nights especially after a home game as I don't think we were the kind of clientele she was looking for...shame that as we were boisterous but not over the top, a wee sing song through the back was great but she had us bounced.

Crops was a gifted player and as we all know injuries took it's toll, he could tackle like a tiger for his slight frame and his vision and shooting were incredible.

hibee_nation
25-10-2013, 07:23 PM
When John Collins was breaking into the first team he reminded me of Alex. Fantastic player and fearless. :flag:

Jonnyboy
25-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Think he's in the Juniors now PB. Possibly Newtongrange Star

eastterrace
25-10-2013, 07:30 PM
I know Alex fairly well and he is a sound guy, also used to drink in his pub but sadly his wife didn't really fancy a crowd of us drinking there most nights especially after a home game as I don't think we were the kind of clientele she was looking for...shame that as we were boisterous but not over the top, a wee sing song through the back was great but she had us bounced.

Crops was a gifted player and as we all know injuries took it's toll, he could tackle like a tiger for his slight frame and his vision and shooting were incredible.

yes used to go after the match as well, it was a good pub with a good crowd, also use to go on a sunday when jim jeffries use to tape the english game that was on the telly but we couldnt get it up in the edinburgh area so crops use to drive down for the tape and put it on in the pub, we use to try and not get the score so not to spoil it which was a lot easier back then as you didnt have wall to wall sport on the telly.

Adniston Burn
25-10-2013, 07:32 PM

Fantastic player who had all these qualities and was never found wanting when the going got tough.

Sergey
25-10-2013, 07:34 PM

Think he's in the Juniors now PB. Possibly Newtongrange Star

He had another son who played for the London Hibs team a few years ago.

Not sure of his name, though.

clerriehibs
25-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Funny that, because he doesnae shut up when you're in the back of his taxi!

brog
25-10-2013, 07:58 PM
I agree Crops can be hard work at times but I think it's mostly shyness & he's also not too good at remembering many incidents from his career. Oh & G, I don't think he ever played for Palace, you may be getting mixed up with Jim Scott or Neil Martin, 2 LHSC guests who did play for Palace.

Jonnyboy
25-10-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree Crops can be hard work at times but I think it's mostly shyness & he's also not too good at remembering many incidents from his career. Oh & G, I don't think he ever played for Palace, you may be getting mixed up with Jim Scott or Neil Martin, 2 LHSC guests who did play for Palace.

That confused me too B :greengrin

Iggy Pope
25-10-2013, 08:47 PM
use to drink in his bar as well (my wife worked behind the bar) hes a nice guy but very rarely talked about his career, so maybe a bit quiet. he was agreat player in a great hibs team. still lets on to us when we bump into him and his wife.

Amazingly, so did mine (although she wasn't my wife then) and I was never out the place.

Mr White
25-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Amazingly, so did mine (although she wasn't my wife then) and I was never out the place.

Which pub did crops run?

Iggy Pope
25-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Which pub did crops run?

Wait for it. ....

Cropleys.

Now the Iona Bar (and previously The Iona Bar before Cropleys!)

Mr White
25-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Wait for it. ....

Cropleys.

Now the Iona Bar (and previously The Iona Bar before Cropleys!)
:tee hee:

snooky
25-10-2013, 10:22 PM
IIRC, Sodjer was the first "Englishman" to be capped for Scotland - no?

One thing that's often omitted when describing the Tornados was the variety of the players.
Rocky the 6 yard box poacher, Tosh in the air (and on the ground), Crops' left peg and tenacity, Arthur's speed, etc, etc.
What a lucky bag of talent that team was.
Noo, where's ma hanky :boo hoo:

CropleyWasGod
25-10-2013, 11:31 PM

One thing that's often omitted when describing the Tornados was the variety of the players.
Rocky the 6 yard box poacher, Tosh in the air (and on the ground), Crops' left peg and tenacity, Arthur's speed, etc, etc.

Think that was Bob Wilson... although they were both around the same time.

Wee Scottie Dug
26-10-2013, 12:01 AM

He was only tagged as an 'Englishman' due to being born in aldershot whilst his father was stationed there during his army days ........ He and his brother Tom were very much Scottish if my childhood memories serve me correctly ..... Both were cracking players even in their early teens as we played umpteen a side with jumpers for goalposts adjacent to the 3rd hole at portobello Golf course! Ah memories!

IWasThere2016
26-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Beautiful footballer Cropley.

He had all the vital components - touch, a pass, composure and commitment.

If we could only produce one a year similar to him we'd be in clover!

O'Rourke3
26-10-2013, 01:15 AM
First leg of the UEFA cup versus Leeds and the 0-0 draw at Elland Road, Sportsnight with Coleman (remember that). Leeds running away with Div 1 and Hibs outplayed them. Cropley spraying passes all over the pitch. "You don't see passes like that every day" reckoned Coleman. You did when you went to ER....

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-10-2013, 09:16 AM
His laddie is now with Haddington Juniors.

PathheadHibby
26-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Met him once, very quiet man. He drove our taxi on our wedding night back in 94 taking us from Dalhousie Court to Carlton. Not sure if this has come up on another thread but in the film Sunshine on Leith, there's a scene with a taxi and thought it might have been Cropley driving?!

Ray_
26-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Think that was Bob Wilson... although they were both around the same time.

I'm sure it was the same game, the 2-1 win against Portugal at Hampden in October 1971, his second game was against Belgium in Aberdeen, where he was injured and Scottish football's second most highly rated youngster, Kenny Dalglish, replaced him to gain his first cap.

During the Portugal game, "The Doc's" team was chanted by the crowd, it went, Wilson, Jardine, Davie Hay, Bremner, Colquhoun, Stanton, Johnstone, Graham, John O'Hare, Archie Gemmell, Cropley, na, na, na, na, na, na, na na, na, na na, na, na na. etc [well I was 15 at the time!] :greengrin

Just as an aside, in a football mag interview a couple of months before the game, Crops listed being unable to play for Scotland as his biggest disappointment, the rules changed with parentage and Tommy Docherty put him straight in to his next team.

jdships
26-10-2013, 10:22 AM

In his defence I got know him quite well through my friendship with " Shades" and he really was a very shy person who was defensive in what he said and discussed until he got to know you
A lovely lad when you did get close to him !!

In late 1974 I was flying Edinburgh/London on business and by chance was seated beside Bertie Mee , the then Arsenal manager, who in the course of the flight chatted about how excited he was about signing AC .
He believed he had made a steal at the price ( which he didn't divulge ) which was later confirmed as being around £150000

Ray_
26-10-2013, 10:26 AM
In his defence I got know him quite well through my friendship with " Shades" and he really was a very shy person who was defensive in what he said and discussed until he got to know you
A lovely lad when you did get close to him !!

In late 1974 I was flying Edinburgh/London on business and by chance was seated beside Bertie Mee , the then Arsenal manager, who in the course of the flight chatted about how excited he was about signing AC .
He believed he had made a steal at the price ( which he didn't divulge ) which was later confirmed as being around £150000

:agree: He did have a steal, Tom Harts worst piece of business involving Hibs.

jdships
26-10-2013, 10:31 AM

A point confirmed to me , some years later , by no less than Alex Miller .:greengrin

Ray_
26-10-2013, 10:35 AM
A point confirmed to me , some years later , by no less than Alex Miller .:greengrin

My Ex's brothers were season ticket holders at Highbury and they were gutted when Terry Neil sold him to Villa. There was speculation and Terry Neil said there was no way he was going, then at the weekend, he got both the Arsenal goals against Stoke, he was sold a few days later. I wonder if RP had anything to do with Arsenal in them days :greengrin

hhibs
26-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Close, but the top prize goes to buying Joe Harper and the subsequent sales of Gordon and O'Rourke and the end of the Tornados. IMHO

Ray_
26-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Close, but the top prize goes to buying Joe Harper and the subsequent sales of Gordon and O'Rourke and the end of the Tornados. IMHO

It was all tied in, Cropley was sold to balance the books after the outlay in bringing in Harper, as Hibs didn't take off as expected. Ironically, ET had tried to sign Alan Gordon, to team him up with Joe Harper, while they were both at Aberdeen & Dundee United didn't want to sell.

bruno
26-10-2013, 12:05 PM
My Ex's brothers were season ticket holders at Highbury and they were gutted when Terry Neil sold him to Villa. There was speculation and Terry Neil said there was no way he was going, then at the weekend, he got both the Arsenal goals against Stoke, he was sold a few days later. I wonder if RP had anything to do with Arsenal in them days :greengrin

I wonder what happened to Cropley in terms of Scotland if he made debut in 71 and was obviously a top player for Hibs until 74.
I know Scotland were strong in those days but who kept him out the team
I vaguely remember him at villa but remember Des Bremner better.
Who kept him out Scotland team.did he go to the 74 world cup
As I say just before my time so don't remember him and telly was very limited then so most memories are of seeing players in the flesh
Cheers

Hiber-nation
26-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I wonder what happened to Cropley in terms of Scotland if he made debut in 71 and was obviously a top player for Hibs until 74.
I know Scotland were strong in those days but who kept him out the team
I vaguely remember him at villa but remember Des Bremner better. Not much better.
Who kept him out Scotland team.did he go to the 74 world cup
As I say just before my time so don't remember him and tell was very limited then so most memories are of seeing players in the flesh
Cheers

It would be Asa Hartford and/or Archie Gemmill. No idea why these 2 were ever played in the same team, far too similar!

Baker9
26-10-2013, 01:07 PM
He was only tagged as an 'Englishman' due to being born in aldershot whilst his father was stationed there during his army days ........ He and his brother Tom were very much Scottish if my childhood memories serve me correctly ..... Both were cracking players even in their early teens as we played umpteen a side with jumpers for goalposts adjacent to the 3rd hole at portobello Golf course! Ah memories!

I played in the same U-21 team as Tom (Tam). He was an excellent player. I think he went Junior with Newtongrange? Maybe lacking a bit in pace for senior football but a player nonetheless. We played a cup game against Melbourne Thistle with him and a young (16?) Alex (brought in for the day). Erich Schaedler played for Melbourne at the time. One for the historians.

Bostonhibby
26-10-2013, 02:30 PM

:agree: Indeed, "if my memory serves me right their granny lived in the balconies at Magdalene where Alex used to visit.

Ghaax
26-10-2013, 08:33 PM
It would be Asa Hartford and/or Archie Gemmill. No idea why these 2 were ever played in the same team, far too similar!

Was it no' a bit early for them two?

Reason he didnae get more caps was that he played for Hibs.
Ah mind Alan Gordon telling me about getting invites to play in a World XI (Gerd Muller's testimonial or similar) yet no getting a sniff of a Scotland call up.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Look at the paltry totals for Stanton, Brownlie and Blackley as well.

Hiber-nation
26-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Was it no' a bit early for them two?

Reason he didnae get more caps was that he played for Hibs.
Ah mind Alan Gordon telling me about getting invites to play in a World XI (Gerd Muller's testimonial or similar) yet no getting a sniff of a Scotland call up.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Look at the paltry totals for Stanton, Brownlie and Blackley as well.

I checked earlier and they both played against England in 1972. I was surprised too, didn't think they were in the team back then.

gorgie greens
26-10-2013, 10:16 PM
i started driving Taxis in Edinburgh in 1989,and got to know a few of the guys,there was a few who played 5's at the Jack Kane and started going there myself,one time Alex turned up (must have been early 90's)i had played for Salveson when i was a boy and thought i wasnae Pele but thought i could play a bit,
Anyway i must have been 21/22 at the time and here was this old guy,walking with a limp,to say he tore me a new one is an understatement,guy was so quick and hell mend you if you got in front of one of his shots,getting skinned by a cripple nae fun at all,met him over the years driving taxis and hes a nice decent guy,but he gave me a football lesson.

derek0762
27-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Met him once, very quiet man. He drove our taxi on our wedding night back in 94 taking us from Dalhousie Court to Carlton. Not sure if this has come up on another thread but in the film Sunshine on Leith, there's a scene with a taxi and thought it might have been Cropley driving?!

It was Crops driving the taxi in SOL,

I've also met him a few times and although quite shy, still a really nice guy & my fave Hibs player when growing up, always had number ten on my strips :-)

Wee Scottie Dug
27-10-2013, 08:21 AM
:agree: Indeed, "if my memory serves me right their granny lived in the balconies at Magdalene where Alex used to visit.

Yip, top landing 2/18 IIRC. I was a couple of levels below (2/5) in the 60s and 70s. With 20 households there were a fair sprinkling of talent in those balconies!

Ray_
27-10-2013, 08:56 AM
I checked earlier and they both played against England in 1972. I was surprised too, didn't think they were in the team back then.

In 1971 Hartford was already performing well enough at WBA, in England's top flight to attract the on/off transfer to England's then top team, Leeds United, for 200K, where the medical results found him to have a hole in his heart. With Archie Gemmell's being a first team fixture, Derby won the English first division in 1972.

Tom Hart RIP
30-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Alex Cropley : 'Wearing that famous green jersey was absolutely magical.' He tells of how good that Hibs team were ( Much better than Arsenal who had won the double a couple of years earlier) and compares Eddie Turnbull to other managers in England. http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2013/10/alex-cropley-to-wear-that-famous-green-shirt-was-absolutely-magical/ What a fantastic time to be a Hibs supporter. If only he was available tonight.

stu in nottingham
30-10-2013, 01:35 PM
In 1971 Hartford was already performing well enough at WBA, in England's top flight to attract the on/off transfer to England's then top team, Leeds United, for 200K, where the medical results found him to have a hole in his heart. With Archie Gemmell's being a first team fixture, Derby won the English first division in 1972.

You might remember Asa signed for Cloughie at Forest later on, Ray? I think he was seen as a replacement for Gemmill if I recall correctly. Extremely good player that he was, he didn't last very long at the City Ground. Remember this story from a chat during the half-time break in the changing room:

Clough: 'What were you doing there young man?

Hartford: 'I was was floating the ball out to the wing, boss'.

Clough: Young man, we don't float passes at this club, we DRIVE them.'

:not worth

PeeJay
30-10-2013, 01:38 PM
For me, Cropley was one of the real legends at ER - I loved the way he committed himself to a game for our team, the long crossfield passes that were usually spot on, the surging runs he made, the wholehearted tackles he got into and his sheer enthusiasm for the game - a great player, who never wanted to lose - another one who if he had played for the OF would have been a regular Scotland player. He really caught my attention when he made his debut at ER - I remember thinking at the time, "Wow, where did he come from then?" Consider myself really lucky to have seen him in a Hibs jersey along with all his gifted mates ...

Tom Hart RIP
30-10-2013, 01:45 PM
He is still considered to be a legend at Aston Villa and played in the team that hammered the great Liverpool side 5-1. Broke his leg at 26 for the third time and never made it back to he same standard.