PDA

View Full Version : Livingston in trouble?

greenlex
23-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Livingston in financial trouble again?

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Thats a vague opening post to say the least!

monktonharp
23-10-2013, 04:16 PM
source

greenlex
23-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Thats a vague opening post to say the least!
Im sure I caught the tail end of an article about a meeting with fans groups to discuss a £1.7M debt. Putting it out there as I cant find anyrhing anywhere on tinternet.

Sylar
23-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Looks like it:

http://www.livilions.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?22532-Board-Changes

Talk of an imminent winding up order against the club by the end of the week and they've been shuffling their board around a fair wee bit of late.

It genuinely would surprise me in one sense as the majority of the team are youth developed (with the exception of Andy Barrowman and Simon Mensing who joined this year) though having said that, attracting a crowd continues to be the problem, despite some of the football they play these days!

A club that's in constant farce/crisis and this'll just be another bump in a very long and uneven road but perhaps this time, possibly terminal (as unlike Hearts or Dunfermline, I doubt they have sufficient fans to mount a fan-ownership route and who in their right mind is going to invest into a proven financial black hole).

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-rankine-steps-restore-livi-2467812

greenlex
23-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Ta Scott.

TheFamous1875
23-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Provincial teams like Livi etc should have big banners up as soon as you drive in saying "LIVINGSTON - HOME OF THE MOTOROLAS" or whatever their nickname is. Imagine if everyone supported their local town or city's team? It'd be much more entertaining as all these clubs (and us) would all be stronger. I don't think I've met anyone from Inverness who isn't a Rangers fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HibbySpurs
23-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Provincial teams like Livi etc should have big banners up as soon as you drive in saying "LIVINGSTON - HOME OF THE MOTOROLAS" or whatever their nickname is. Imagine if everyone supported their local town or city's team? It'd be much more entertaining as all these clubs (and us) would all be stronger. I don't think I've met anyone from Inverness who isn't a Rangers fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Livingston were always doomed. To be fair as a team morphed out of Meadowbank Thistle and then shipped into an area already awash with Glasgow over spill and hence a large OF support they've done not bad but from early promise their support has dwindled as the novelty wore off and the locals went back to following the ugly sisters.

clerriehibs
23-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Livingston were always doomed. To be fair as a team morphed out of Meadowbank Thistle and then shipped into an area already awash with Glasgow over spill and hence a large OF support they've done not bad but from early promise their support has dwindled as the novelty wore off and the locals went back to following the ugly sisters.

stuff 'em. Although they finally got hit hard, they're just another team that cheated their way to glory, albeit in a less crooked way than the yamturds across the city.

Allant1981
23-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Friend of mines laddie plays CH for them, not good for the players

Just_Jimmy
23-10-2013, 06:55 PM
stuff 'em. Although they finally got hit hard, they're just another team that cheated their way to glory, albeit in a less crooked way than the yamturds across the city.

Exactly. Tin pot club who stole a league cup from us in 2004. Add them to the list of clubs I'd be happy to see go pop. :aok:

HibbySpurs
23-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Can't remember his name but didn't some boy rinse a lottery jackpot on them? What a waste of money.

Aldo
23-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Can't remember his name but didn't some boy rinse a lottery jackpot on them? What a waste of money.

Was it not john McGuiness. Won 10 million and invested in them

Jonnyboy
23-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Good news for Sevco Hertz - a free stadium!

Sylar
23-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Was it not john McGuiness. Won 10 million and invested in them

It was indeed. In fairness, Livingston have been the victims of 3 crooked owners, each of whom tried their best to destroy the club (Keane was eventually investigated for fraud, Flynn was never willing to discuss where his finances came from and Massone simply had no money despite his assertions to the contrary).

They were always going to struggle to attract a local support when, as HibbySpurs points out, they were competing against hordes of football fans travelling east and west every week.

I think a lot of the Livingston fans simply got fed up of all the drama which accompanied the club through the rise and fall. This might be one bump too many though as the support remains incredibly low.

mentalhibee
23-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Get Scougall snapped up in January!

1987green
23-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Get Scougall snapped up in January!

We already had him here and told him he was too small to make it cannae see him wantin to come back

monktonharp
23-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I remember the early days of Livingston, morphed, as someone said from Meadowbank. but if I recall, M/bank were some other name before that? (where's Jonny?) a couple of mates of mine, did the match day programmes for Livi, as well as HFC Homofc, D/utd among others. we were invited to a freebie as the mates always took a "table" for matches as they put money back into folk that gave them business. the chairman, Bill somebody? came to our table and he had a bloody stuffed Parrot tied onto his shooder! had a good laugh with him though, and I thought it would be good for the town of Livi to have their own team. A mate of mine from Livi (celtic fan) took his boy to games, saying that he wanted to bring him up ,away from any of the OF pish. hope they survive.

CropleyWasGod
23-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I remember the early days of Livingston, morphed, as someone said from Meadowbank. but if I recall, M/bank were some other name before that? (where's Jonny?) a couple of mates of mine, did the match day programmes for Livi, as well as HFC Homofc, D/utd among others. we were invited to a freebie as the mates always took a "table" for matches as they put money back into folk that gave them business. the chairman, Bill somebody? came to our table and he had a bloody stuffed Parrot tied onto his shooder! had a good laugh with him though, and I thought it would be good for the town of Livi to have their own team. A mate of mine from Livi (celtic fan) took his boy to games, saying that he wanted to bring him up ,away from any of the OF pish. hope they survive.

Ferranti Thistle :wink:

weecounty hibby
23-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Can't say I'm sorry to hear that. Another club to add to the list of fantasists who believe they are better or bigger than they are and spend way above what they can afford. Wont be sorry to see them consigned to the history books.

StevieT
23-10-2013, 09:16 PM

Ferranti Thistle became Meadowbank Thistle who in turn became Livi. Oops, too late.

monktonharp
23-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Ferranti Thistle became Meadowbank Thistle who in turn became Livi. Oops, too late.hard lines mate. does remind me of a tv advert though. "eat up, yir at Ferranti's" .:greengrin:duck:

Jonnyboy
23-10-2013, 09:21 PM

Ferranti Thistle :wink:

:agree:

erin go bragh
23-10-2013, 09:28 PM

The week after they won their only cup , they had a crowd of under 3000 at home . Pathetic plastic weegies that they are . Imo

Ggtth

HibbySpurs
24-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Good news for Sevco Hertz - a free stadium!

Almondvale is property of West Lothian Council I believe. It's actually quite a tidy little ground and has offices and 5 a side pitches attached as well as as full size training pitch round the back I think.

Used to have a night club I once had the misfortune to visit but I think it's no there anymore.

IIRC they do pay homage to their "history" the function suites are called things like the "Ferranti Suite" & "Meadowbank Suite".....

In terms of them going bust I wonderif WLC will help them out as I think they did previously???

ballengeich
24-10-2013, 09:04 AM
One of the reasons behind the financial redistribution of payouts in the new SPFL was to help teams in the second tier to remain full-time. Livingston will be one of the clubs benefiting from this but they may still have to go part-time, at least for a while.

From what I've read, debts are mainly to the main owners so it's not been the case of a club ripping off other businesses and the government to the extent of Rangers or Hearts.

dangermouse
24-10-2013, 09:45 AM

A friend of mine was quite vocal against Meadowbank moving to Livingston. The Bill you mentioned (can't recall his surname) barred him from Almodvale when they moved.

Green forever
24-10-2013, 10:00 AM
A friend of mine was quite vocal against Meadowbank moving to Livingston. The Bill you mentioned (can't recall his surname) barred him from Almodvale when they moved.

Bill Hunter ??

itslegaltender
24-10-2013, 11:20 AM
By the looks of it, the debt is owed to the directors. Think its more to do with Directors seeing who can pish highest up the wall. Cant see them going into admin.

IWasThere2016
24-10-2013, 11:25 AM

Exactly. Tin pot club who stole a league cup from us in 2004. Add them to the list of clubs I'd be happy to see go pop. :aok:

Can't say I'm sorry to hear that. Another club to add to the list of fantasists who believe they are better or bigger than they are and spend way above what they can afford. Wont be sorry to see them consigned to the history books.

:agree: Last one oot put the lights aff! :cb

Sylar
24-10-2013, 11:31 AM
:agree: Last one oot put the lights aff! :cb

:rotflmao:

IWasThere2016
24-10-2013, 11:32 AM
:rotflmao:

I'm allowed to dream :wink:

Keith_M
24-10-2013, 11:38 AM
I actually would have been in favour of having a team in Livingston if it had been done in a slow build, sustainable way. I actually think that without the various shenanigans, they could have gradually built a reasonably sized first division level support and sustained that.

What actually happened was the typical football owner ego project, with the club having a spell of paying stupid money for wages and outbidding more established rivals. Add to that the stupid rule to have a 10k capacity stadium of course, something in the region of 6k would have been more than enough.

I think it's a pity that an opportunity was lost

Sylar
24-10-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm allowed to dream :wink:

You certainly are but stay away from any moral high-ground...you'll get a nosebleed :wink:

bighairyfaeleith
24-10-2013, 12:07 PM
New stadium for hearts?

dangermouse
24-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Bill Hunter ??

That's the one. :agree:

The Sea-gull
24-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Rumours that they have been teetering on the brink of collapse again for a couple of years now.

Key to survival was a rumoured deal for the land the ground is on with Tesco who were to bulldoze the stadium and put one of their stores on the land and build, a smaller, more appropriate facility elsewhere in Livi for the football team.

Tesco seemingly have wanted a store in Livi for years as they feel the other big 4 supermarkets make decent sales in an area they have no representation.

Almondvale holds about 10k or something. Not sure what the SPL rules on capcity are under the new league set up but guess that Liviv could get away easily with a 4/5k capcity stadium. It would mean they miss out on a big pay day whenever, Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs or even Aberdeen come calling but surely better to have a club playing in a stadium that suits all games bar any against 5 teams who are not even in your league than dying in a big stadium.

Hibercelona
24-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Are you sure?

I thought we practically gave it away to them, as we tend to do in finals.

lucky
24-10-2013, 01:49 PM
I stay around a 15 minute walk to their ground and don't know anyone who supports them. This would seem to be their biggest problem. They just don't have any support in the town or surrounding area but Scottish football can't keep having clubs go bust. It is really time some radical changes to the game here and how it's run.

Jones28
24-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Would it be more cost effective to have a smaller stadium with half the capacity? Just in terms of catering, energy bills etc. because you need these things regardless of the size. I just wonder if the difference would be considerable or not.

Keith_M
24-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Almondvale holds about 10k or something. Not sure what the SPL rules on capcity are under the new league set up but guess that Liviv could get away easily with a 4/5k capcity stadium. ....

Almondvale capacity was increased for the SPL ruling at the time of a minimum 10,000. That was changed a couple of years back to 6,000.

The question is if they even really need that much. How often since they went down have they actually been genuine challengers to be promoted back to the SPL? I'd have thought 3-4,000 would be more than enough.

NYHibby
24-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Used to have a night club I once had the misfortune to visit but I think it's no there anymore.

Could you imagine if Tynecastle had a nightclub...

Gatecrasher
24-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Rumours that they have been teetering on the brink of collapse again for a couple of years now.

Key to survival was a rumoured deal for the land the ground is on with Tesco who were to bulldoze the stadium and put one of their stores on the land and build, a smaller, more appropriate facility elsewhere in Livi for the football team.

Tesco seemingly have wanted a store in Livi for years as they feel the other big 4 supermarkets make decent sales in an area they have no representation.

Almondvale holds about 10k or something. Not sure what the SPL rules on capcity are under the new league set up but guess that Liviv could get away easily with a 4/5k capcity stadium. It would mean they miss out on a big pay day whenever, Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs or even Aberdeen come calling but surely better to have a club playing in a stadium that suits all games bar any against 5 teams who are not even in your league than dying in a big stadium.
There was talk a couple of years ago that the council would sell the stadium land to tesco and livi would be moved to a smaller stadium near the sky tv buildings

Dashing Bob S
24-10-2013, 06:49 PM
A merger of Hearts and Livi is the way to go.

One team, one city.

And the 'city' is Livi.

IWasThere2016
24-10-2013, 11:08 PM
At least a TESCO would be of use/interest to the people of Livi..

Sylar
26-10-2013, 03:51 PM
At least a TESCO would be of use/interest to the people of Livi..

Get that right up ye :greengrin

ScottB
26-10-2013, 04:26 PM
I stay around a 15 minute walk to their ground and don't know anyone who supports them. This would seem to be their biggest problem. They just don't have any support in the town or surrounding area but Scottish football can't keep having clubs go bust. It is really time some radical changes to the game here and how it's run.

The radical solution is probably to allow a lot of the unsustainable clubs to go bust. Might sound heartless, but there are far too many clubs in our national leagues. The Swiss when they were being interviewed a lot when there were plans to adopt the failed multi split league system they'd tried said something along the lines of the best system for a county their size was a top league with not a lot below it essentially; the small teams effectively having to 'accept their place.'

There's not a lot of money in Scottish football and there's never going to be. Sharing it amongst 40+ clubs is a nonsense, when most of them are pulling in crowds of a 1,000 at best. Allowing some of these to go bust / merge / fall back into a regional set up would leave the clubs kept in the main national leagues, and I'd probably think 2 leagues would be enough, to get bigger slices of the pie.

Tynie01011973
28-10-2013, 07:49 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24718360

Bit of good news for Livi after all

:aok:

cabbageandribs1875
28-10-2013, 08:07 PM

that's good :agree:.........until the next time it happens

Sylar
21-11-2013, 06:15 PM

Seems it was a short lived respite...

Livingston majority shareholder Neil Rankine admits that administration remains a possibility with the Championship club haemorrhaging £250,000 per week and being sued by former chief executive Ged Nixon for more than £300,000 but hopes a new board can turn their fortunes around.

Haymaker
21-11-2013, 06:18 PM
£1m a month?!

monktonharp
21-11-2013, 06:23 PM
£1m a month?!
how many 5 week/months are there?

Onceinawhile
21-11-2013, 06:28 PM

Ummm 250,000 times 4 is 1 million. Not 5 times.

Killiehibbie
21-11-2013, 06:29 PM
how many 5 week/months are there?None, the longest month doesn't even have 4 1/2 weeks:greengrin

Haymaker
21-11-2013, 06:29 PM

£250k a week... Two weeks £500k so by my math £1m every four weeks? Which is generally seen as a month?

Killiehibbie
21-11-2013, 06:32 PM
£250k a week... Two weeks £500k so by my math £1m every four weeks? Which is generally seen as a month?But would it be 12 or 13 million per year?

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-11-2013, 06:33 PM
When HOMFC are preparing the payroll for the staff, it turn out that there is only one week in three months.

weonlywon6-2
21-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Haha,back to school for someone !!!!!

Haymaker
21-11-2013, 06:39 PM
But would it be 12 or 13 million per year?

That's pushing my math too far!

DaveF
21-11-2013, 06:48 PM
How the hell can Livingston lose £250,000 a week? Surely that figure is wildly wrong.

Bishop Hibee
21-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Good. The MK Dons of Scottish football. Guilty of financial doping before the term was coined.

Won't shed a tear if they go bust.

O'Rourke3
21-11-2013, 06:54 PM
There's a guy at work who is pretty close to Livingston. The 250,000 is what one of the directors wants out from his investment immediately as the two sides have fallen out (think this may have been posted a while back). The loss per week is just how papers normally print this stuff ( a bit like the length of 15 football pitches or times round the sun ) because no-one has the intellect to imagine a distance..... And further proves they've sacked all the sub editors who used to catch this guff....