PDA

View Full Version : Hearts game in London

allezsauzee
23-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Does anybody know of any decent boozers near the strand that would be likely to show the game? Gutted to be missing it due to work commitments :boo hoo:

monktonharp
23-10-2013, 12:49 PM
almost certain that one of the London Hibs boys will direct you to a place called Quinns. don't know where in London town it is though. possibly a restruant attached to it?

CyberSauzee
23-10-2013, 12:53 PM
almost certain that one of the London Hibs boys will direct you to a place called Quinns. don't know where in London town it is though. possibly a restruant attached to it?

Yes indeed MH, Quinn's in Camden, with the adjoining Orangery and Japanese Garden (with newly installed sex pond) available for dining.

s2hart
23-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Does anybody know of any decent boozers near the strand that would be likely to show the game? Gutted to be missing it due to work commitments :boo hoo:

The Sports Cafe in Haymarket should be showing it if you want some over priced crap beer and probably some Jambo company, or just jump on the Northern Line at Charing Cross and head up to Camden Town and head along to Quinn's for some top notch scran :wink:, a decent pint and most of all plenty of fellow Hibee's for some banter. :thumbsup:

Brummie_Hibs
23-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Indeed, a delightful and alluring public house and fine dining eatery. A hidden gem in a friendly and charming suburb of North London.

I've been on the phone and booked for a party of 3.

Brummie_Hibs
23-10-2013, 01:06 PM
The Sports Cafe in Haymarket should be showing it if you want some over priced crap beer and probably some Jambo company, or just jump on the Northern Line at Charing Cross and head up to Camden Town and head along to Quinn's for some top notch scran :wink:, a decent pint and most of all plenty of fellow Hibee's for some banter. :thumbsup:

The Sports Cafe has closed down.

s2hart
23-10-2013, 01:19 PM
The Sports Cafe has closed down.

I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm not, had some good nights in there years ago but it certainly looked haggard and gone down hill the last time I was in. It was always a good central back up option for Hibs & Scotland games in the past, hey oh sign of the times! Cheers for letting us know.

jacomo
23-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Indeed, a delightful and alluring public house and fine dining eatery. A hidden gem in a friendly and charming suburb of North London.

I've been on the phone and booked for a party of 3.

Wow! You got a table?! Are you a well known celebrity or just well connected?

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2013, 01:28 PM
I know Vincent the chief sommelier, even he couldnae get me a table!

London Hibs Supporters Club
23-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Get yourself up to Camden as we'll be meeting up at Quinn's.

The good news is we've been allocated exclusive use of the brasserie from 5pm onwards for the Hearts match. Covers are limited to 85, so any latecomers will have to stand at the back.

Please note that the match will only be shown in the brasserie. The orangery is booked for another private party (wine tasting) and the piano bar is accommodating the brasserie pre-bookings. The restaurant is once again fully booked.

I'm liaising with Pierre with regards the menu and hope to post this later this evening.

allezsauzee
23-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the responses . I'll head to Quinn's then to enjoy our glorious victory! GGTTH :flag:

lyonhibs
23-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Get yourself up to Camden as we'll be meeting up at Quinn's.

The good news is we've been allocated exclusive use of the brasserie from 5pm onwards for the Hearts match. Covers are limited to 85, so any latecomers will have to stand at the back.

Please note that the match will only be shown in the brasserie. The orangery is booked for another private party (wine tasting) and the piano bar is accommodating the brasserie pre-bookings. The restaurant is once again fully booked.

I'm liaising with Pierre with regards the menu and hope to post this later this evening.

I await with slavering chops.

Will the half-time treats of "vol au vents au porc" and "ailes de poulet epicées" be available?

Need to see if my local - a shabby, over-priced Swiss affair - will put it on.

23-10-2013, 05:38 PM
The menu is the single most important item in a restaurant. It is its calling card, its advertisement, its mission statement. Menus are pored over minutely by restaurateurs, considered through bottles of wine and cups of coffee. The one bit of a restaurant that is like the theatre is the menu. It’s casting an epic: many dishes are called but few are chosen. Everyone is looking for that magic combination that ignites the fickle palate of the customers into insatiable desire. Do you go for a cast of thousands and overstretch the kitchen, waste ingredients and risk mediocrity, or do you go for a focused drama and limited choice for a few big stars that you know you can do well but risk limiting and boring the punters?

The totemic mystical importance that Pierre and restaurateurs invest in the grail of the perfect menu is enormous. The received wisdom says that you can open a place in an attic room on the Isle of Dogs decorated by Yam Fuds and the public will queue round the block and pay through the nose if the menu is right. Restaurateurs’ rules say a menu must have certain things. It must have a soup. Pierre hates doing soups and waiters hate serving soups, customers rarely choose soup, but you have to have a soup. There must be two sorts of fish, a vegetarian starter and a chocolate pudding. These are the rules that are carved in chalk on a restaurateur’s ethereal blackboard.

In the hothouse of the capital, menu paranoia and menu envy run riot. Ingredients go from obscurity to ubiquity and back to obscurity faster than a Lithuanian loanee at Tynecastle. Of all the things that gastronomic London envies Pierre at Quinn’s for, it’s not its regular customers, it’s not its waiting list, nor the loyalty of its staff – but it’s Pierre’s menu.

Next Wednesday will see us once again served seasonal fair. Autumn sees a mellow, misty abundance of squash, pumpkin, apples, mushrooms, pears, cobnuts and dark leafy greens. Shellfish is at its best, too.

Bearing this in mind, our starter will be Scallops with Black Pudding, Apple and Celeriac. Pierre assures that these ingredients marry well and this simply yells of autumn. Our main course will be Roasted Chorizo with Squash, Pancetta and Chilli with a side dish of Kale Salad with Sesame and Soy.

Next weeks house wine is another from Portugal (from the fine folks at winechap.com): Outeiro Tinto 2010, Quinta Pellada, Alvaro Castro, Dão at £16.99 per bottle.

Hope to see a few old and new faces.

lyonhibs
23-10-2013, 06:42 PM
The menu is the single most important item in a restaurant. It is its calling card, its advertisement, its mission statement. Menus are pored over minutely by restaurateurs, considered through bottles of wine and cups of coffee. The one bit of a restaurant that is like the theatre is the menu. It’s casting an epic: many dishes are called but few are chosen. Everyone is looking for that magic combination that ignites the fickle palate of the customers into insatiable desire. Do you go for a cast of thousands and overstretch the kitchen, waste ingredients and risk mediocrity, or do you go for a focused drama and limited choice for a few big stars that you know you can do well but risk limiting and boring the punters?

The totemic mystical importance that Pierre and restaurateurs invest in the grail of the perfect menu is enormous. The received wisdom says that you can open a place in an attic room on the Isle of Dogs decorated by Yam Fuds and the public will queue round the block and pay through the nose if the menu is right. Restaurateurs’ rules say a menu must have certain things. It must have a soup. Pierre hates doing soups and waiters hate serving soups, customers rarely choose soup, but you have to have a soup. There must be two sorts of fish, a vegetarian starter and a chocolate pudding. These are the rules that are carved in chalk on a restaurateur’s ethereal blackboard.

In the hothouse of the capital, menu paranoia and menu envy run riot. Ingredients go from obscurity to ubiquity and back to obscurity faster than a Lithuanian loanee at Tynecastle. Of all the things that gastronomic London envies Pierre at Quinn’s for, it’s not its regular customers, it’s not its waiting list, nor the loyalty of its staff – but it’s Pierre’s menu.

Next Wednesday will see us once again served seasonal fair. Autumn sees a mellow, misty abundance of squash, pumpkin, apples, mushrooms, pears, cobnuts and dark leafy greens. Shellfish is at its best, too.

Bearing this in mind, our starter will be Scallops with Black Pudding, Apple and Celeriac. Pierre assures that these ingredients marry well and this simply yells of autumn. Our main course will be Roasted Chorizo with Squash, Pancetta and Chilli with a side dish of Kale Salad with Sesame and Soy.

Next weeks house wine is another from Portugal (from the fine folks at winechap.com): Outeiro Tinto 2010, Quinta Pellada, Alvaro Castro, Dão at £16.99 per bottle.

:top marks

How much thought goes into such a well crafted and enticing restaurant review?

Not to be missed :agree:

Velma Dinkley
23-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Will they not be doing onion rings and chicken wings? :(

CyberSauzee
23-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Will they not be doing onion rings and chicken wings? :(

Surprise surprise Cilla - just for you Pierre may oblige with some rondelles d'oignon and ailes de poulet.

Pierre did not earn his wings without knowing his onions.

WellingtonHibby
23-10-2013, 09:44 PM

I was lucky enought to taste Pierre's Roast Cauliflower and truffled Veloute the last time I managed to secure a table at Quinns. It was part of his brief dalliance with high-end ottoman cuisine in which he pushed boundaries of conventional fine dining, introduced a pop up Turkish bathing house where the sex pond is now situated and brought the delicacies of Istanbul to London. It was the delight of the chattering classess in late 2009 and paved the way for the inclusion of the Marmara grape to the wine list which, i believe, can still be found there today and is much loved by the patrons.

s2hart
24-10-2013, 12:33 AM
I preferred the secluded part of the Japanese garden where a variation of sushi was served on the body of a near perfect japanese lady, although I went for the oyster and seaweed and got a slap in the puss and a lifetime ban!

I'm still in negotiations with Vincente about at least being aloud back into the piano bar but Pierre still isn't having it, he's a hard man to please!

wpj
24-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Wow! You got a table?! Are you a well known celebrity or just well connected?

This clip was the from the Monday night game against Partick recently............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sr-vxVaY_M

borstalboy
24-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up chaps! I'm also working in London that week and would much prefer to find somewhere to watch the game with fellow Hibees!
:hibees

jabis
24-10-2013, 04:44 PM
ok,it may be just me...What in the name of the wee man is a "sex pond" :confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-10-2013, 04:49 PM
ok,it may be just me...What in the name of the wee man is a "sex pond" :confused:

If you don't know at your age you're not doing it right! :tee hee:

Pete
24-10-2013, 05:07 PM

Part of me actually wants to fly down to London for the game after reading that.:yum yum:

tamig
24-10-2013, 06:15 PM
I was in Quinns the last time we played them in the league cup quarter final - and for the semi. Two great nights indeed. Any Hibby looking for some good like minded company when the Hibees are on in London need look no further than Quinns.

Haymaker
24-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Hoping to pop up for the game, looking forward t0 pierres food more than the game I think!

WellingtonHibby
24-10-2013, 07:17 PM
I was in Quinns the last time we played them in the league cup quarter final - and for the semi. Two great nights indeed. Any Hibby looking for some good like minded company when the Hibees are on in London need look no further than Quinns.

The 1-0 game? That was a grand night. I recall Pierre sanctioning the opening of Quinns cave privée and selecting, for the victorious hibees, the bottle of Louis Roederer, 1990 Cristal Brut which he had been saving. If i recall he cheekily matched it with a fine example of an aged Normandy brie.

jacomo
24-10-2013, 07:53 PM
This clip was the from the Monday night game against Partick recently............

Beautiful.

24-10-2013, 08:07 PM
The 1-0 game? That was a grand night. I recall Pierre sanctioning the opening of Quinns cave privée and selecting, for the victorious hibees, the bottle of Louis Roederer, 1990 Cristal Brut which he had been saving. If i recall he cheekily matched it with a fine example of an aged Normandy brie.

Pedant alert - it was an aged Normandy Camembert from the renowned cheese-makers of Sainte Hilaire.

Fantastic evening was had by all :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
24-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Part of me actually wants to fly down to London for the game after reading that.:yum yum:

Which part? :greengrin

WellingtonHibby
24-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Pedant alert - it was an aged Normandy Camembert from the renowned cheese-makers of Sainte Hilaire.

Fantastic evening was had by all :thumbsup:

True: I fear I had rather indulged in the pre match Oysters Kilpatrick and the matching Martin Codax Albarino Baixas. I always find it difficult to turn down such an unctous grape. Consequently, my memory is not what it should be! thankyou. Pierre would be most put out had my aspersions on his cheese matching abilities been allowed to stand.. :aok:

Pete
25-10-2013, 01:55 AM
Which part? :greengrin

The part that isn't frightened of the other half.:duck:

CyberSauzee
25-10-2013, 07:37 AM

A wonderful piece on modern suberban living by that quality on line publication, The Daily Mash, may help you:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/hot-tub-owners-pretending-its-not-a-nasty-sex-pond-2013042266204

The Harp
25-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the heads up chaps! I'm also working in London that week and would much prefer to find somewhere to watch the game with fellow Hibees!
:hibees

Was in London last week, visiting my laddie, and went to Quinn's with him for the game v Celtic on Saturday. We missed most of the match due to disruptions on the SE rail network, but it was great to speak to some of the branch members - tasty buffet too. Very welcoming guys and a great pub.

jabis
25-10-2013, 04:44 PM
A wonderful piece on modern suberban living by that quality on line publication, The Daily Mash, may help you:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/hot-tub-owners-pretending-its-not-a-nasty-sex-pond-2013042266204

aaaaahhhhhh :aok:

CyberSauzee
28-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Maître d' Jean Claude informs me that as Quinn's are expecting a large gathering, he has asked Pierre to put on some of his world famous canapes before dinner and the match itself.

Expect some exquisite offerings to delight your taste buds, including noix salées, oeufs marinés and Pierre's award winning grattons de porc.

Brummie_Hibs
28-10-2013, 03:47 PM
T'was in there on Saturday evening, and Vincente and his team have pulled out all the stoppers to give us a real spooky Halloween treat on Wednesday. He is hoping that we all turn up in fancy dress to get into the spirit of it.

The festive ale for the evening will be Ghastly Ghoul.

WWWoooooooooo!!

One Day Soon
28-10-2013, 05:44 PM

Salut! You're a funny guy...

29-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Just a wee reminder to all London based lads that tomorrow nights match is a 7 pm kick-off (dinner will be served immediately after the match finishes).

Get there as early as possible as indications are this could be a bumper turn-out :thumbsup:

See y'all tomorrow.

GGTTH

Watford_Mark
30-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Just a wee reminder to all London based lads that tomorrow nights match is a 7 pm kick-off (dinner will be served immediately after the match finishes).

Get there as early as possible as indications are this could be a bumper turn-out :thumbsup:

See y'all tomorrow.

GGTTH

Hi,
Im hoping to come along to this. Im guessing Camden Town is the nearest tube?

See you there!

Mark

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi,

See you there!

Mark

Aye, or Camden Road on The Overground.

Sergey
30-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi,

See you there!

Mark

Kentish Town is also an option which is served by the Thameslink service (or whatever it's called now). Just walk down Kentish Town Road and Quinn's is on your right at the junction with Hawley Road.

wpj
30-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Salut! You're a funny guy...

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f..... up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f..... amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

:aok: