PDA

View Full Version : Is McPake ready?

Wotherspiniesta
22-10-2013, 09:59 PM
With Nelson looking like being out for a few weeks, is our captain ready for a return to first team action? How do we reckon he will cope? The man himself seems very bullish about his fitness on twitter. I think Nelson will be a loss. He may not be a fantastic player but he's certainly steadied the ship for us. Still, would love to see our captain back in action :jmcp:

IanM
23-10-2013, 07:04 AM
With Nelson looking like being out for a few weeks, is our captain ready for a return to first team action? How do we reckon he will cope? The man himself seems very bullish about his fitness on twitter. I think Nelson will be a loss. He may not be a fantastic player but he's certainly steadied the ship for us. Still, would love to see our captain back in action :jmcp:

I think he has a point to prove, no better way than coming back into a team on the back of a good run commanding that back 4.. can he do it? yeah i think so, will he do it? time will tell..

I certainly don't have a problem with him filling the gap though, we all know how good he can be, lets just hope his injury is behind him and he gives Nelson something to think about

Billychaotic182
23-10-2013, 11:50 AM
I want the McPake back from his loan spell. He will have a point to prove which I think will bring out the best in him

ahibby
23-10-2013, 11:56 AM
I'd rather have Nelson but we play the hand we've been dealt with. I am angry that Nelson and McPake were clearly targeted by Celtic players last weekend, and that has been kept quiet, probably because of Lennon's comments.

Anyway our set up will be disrupted and that can't be good, you know we were in a period of not losing many goals so would have liked the defence to continue in that vein. Like last Saturday, I'm sure McPake will get extra attention from opponents to see how his back stands up to it. He hasn't had a lot of SPL level practice lately and that's unfortunate.

Fingers crossed and wait and see.

PatHead
23-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Thank god McPake is available. It shows the difference in depth of the squad compared to previous seasons. I have every faith in him.

lord bunberry
23-10-2013, 12:16 PM
If he is fit then mcpake is a far better player than nelson, he is a good motivator and captain. The problem is he hasn't been fit for such a long time.

Scouse Hibee
23-10-2013, 02:33 PM
If he is fit then mcpake is a far better player than nelson, he is a good motivator and captain. The problem is he hasn't been fit for such a long time.

I disagree.

jdships
23-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I disagree.

:thumbsup::agree:

dmc1875
23-10-2013, 02:42 PM

Not so sure. Nelson has impressed me to be honest apart from one or two slips.

He has made some tremendous last ditch tackles to save certain goals in recent weeks too...

green.and.white
23-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Not so sure. Nelson has impressed me to be honest apart from one or two slips.

He has made some tremendous last ditch tackles to save certain goals in recent weeks too...

:agree: The one at the weekend off the rebound from Williams' save was fantastic.

Nelson will not be a loss if McPake finds his old form, unfortunately I am not so sure that will happen...

Billy Whizz
23-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Should be able to slot into Nelson's position if he doesn't make it. Can McPake play 2 games in a week would be my concern. Hopefully Nelson may be able to make it back for the Hearts game

bad_news_boab
23-10-2013, 03:52 PM
McPake was a class player for us during his loan spell. A back injury though is very hard to come back from id imagine. If he gets injured again with a back injury I would have to say it's very bad news for McPake. I would get him off the wage bill.

LeithBoozy
23-10-2013, 08:46 PM
I would not normally have any worries about him coming in he is a good defender, only problem is his match fitness.

erin go bragh
23-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Should be able to slot into Nelson's position if he doesn't make it. Can McPake play 2 games in a week would be my concern. Hopefully Nelson may be able to make it back for the Hearts game

Cant see Nelson playing till December . Mcpake is a great replacement imo

Ggtth

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2013, 09:18 PM
McPake cant be fit, he's hardly played any football in the last 6 months? He might get through a game on adrenaline alone, but i'd be worried about him playing a few games in quick succession.

Capt Mainwaring
23-10-2013, 09:26 PM
McPake has the heart of a lion and will be absolutely fine to fit into the defence. He'll keep those around him organised as well

No worries

J-C
23-10-2013, 11:28 PM
With McPake looking likely to come in for Nelson, can someone tell me what's actually happened to Forster:confused:, seems to be a no no since the end of last season

lord bunberry
24-10-2013, 02:10 AM
I disagree.

Opinions eh, I don't think nelson is anywhere near as good a player as a fully fit james mcpake.

Judas Iscariot
24-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Opinions eh, I don't think nelson is anywhere near as good a player as a fully fit james mcpake.

I agree..

McPake played a major part in us staying up 2 seasons ago

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2013, 06:46 AM
With McPake looking likely to come in for Nelson, can someone tell me what's actually happened to Forster:confused:, seems to be a no no since the end of last season

He's injured at the moment.

Scouse Hibee
24-10-2013, 07:19 AM
I agree..

McPake played a major part in us staying up 2 seasons ago

Exactly.

Andy74
24-10-2013, 08:45 AM
McPake cant be fit, he's hardly played any football in the last 6 months? He might get through a game on adrenaline alone, but i'd be worried about him playing a few games in quick succession.

I think he will be physically fit enough. He's been back training for weeks. He also has a bit of game time - he has played at least a couple of games for the Under 20s and he played a fair bit of the second half at St Johnstone. A few minutes last week too.

That's about as much as any player coming into the team would get - he can only get up to first team match fitness by playing now.

J-C
24-10-2013, 11:37 AM
He's injured at the moment.

Cheers for that G, never heard obviously, not a great deal of luck with defenders and injuries this year eh?

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I think he will be physically fit enough. He's been back training for weeks. He also has a bit of game time - he has played at least a couple of games for the Under 20s and he played a fair bit of the second half at St Johnstone. A few minutes last week too.

That's about as much as any player coming into the team would get - he can only get up to first team match fitness by playing now.

I dont know why Paul Cairney is playing so many games at the minute, he clearly does not need them?

J-C
24-10-2013, 02:29 PM
I dont know why Paul Cairney is playing so many games at the minute, he clearly does not need them?

Very surprised Cairney hasn't had a start or even been on from the bench, his skill and trickery is needed in the team at the mo, it's no coincidence that's we were playing our best football when he was flying at the start of last season, him on left and Spoony on the right.

Andy74
24-10-2013, 02:30 PM

I presume he does as he is playing them. They are different players with different injuries and I presume different fitness plans.

I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make?

McPake has already been on the pitch for the first team twice over the last month or so so must be well ahead in terms of his injury and fitness.

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2013, 03:15 PM
I presume he does as he is playing them. They are different players with different injuries and I presume different fitness plans.

I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make?

McPake has already been on the pitch for the first team twice over the last month or so so must be well ahead in terms of his injury and fitness.

The point i'm making is the same point i made in my original post, he's not match fit, and 2 brief appearances in the first team will not have made him fit.

He's had the best part of 6 months out the first team, and is not match fit but as i said he'd probably get through a game?:confused:

Andy74
24-10-2013, 03:26 PM
The point i'm making is the same point i made in my original post, he's not match fit, and 2 brief appearances in the first team will not have made him fit.

He's had the best part of 6 months out the first team, and is not match fit but as i said he'd probably get through a game?:confused:

No, and the only way to be match fit for the SPFL is to play in the SPFL. So long as he is physically fit, which he appears to be, I'm not sure what else we can do other than chuck him in when needed. He's played some football in matches so I don't think it's a big deal.

Aldo
24-10-2013, 03:36 PM
No, and the only way to be match fit for the SPFL is to play in the SPFL. So long as he is physically fit, which he appears to be, I'm not sure what else we can do other than chuck him in when needed. He's played some football in matches so I don't think it's a big deal.

It is a big deal in my book. There is a difference in being fit and match fit. Another concern being that he tries too hard to show the fans he is fit.

IIRC he's not played many games for U20's or indeed the EOS team so where does his match fitness come from?

I really really want him to be back to his best but u gave my reservations.

Hopefully after his first real challenge he will have no after effects.

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2013, 03:44 PM

You wouldn't Andy, i hope it does not come back and bite you on the erse.

Personally i think he will get through Saturday, but playing Saturday Wednesday is not ideal for someone like him who's been out for so long.

Although i await your reply on just how it is terrific he will play games in quick succession, maybe he's only going to play 30 minutes in each match?