PDA

View Full Version : Bad songs by good bands.

hibby rae
22-10-2013, 12:36 PM
I'll get the ball rolling,

'Love Cats' by The Cure.

The Cure are a great band but Love Cats is just god awful and yet it's possibly their best known song. It really makes me cringe.

nonshinyfinish
22-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Lady Madonna.

Girlfriend in a Coma.

Pretty much every live version of Dazed and Confused.

Bob Dylan 1976–1996.

Run DMC's Walk This Way. Aerosmith? WTF were they thinking?

This is a great idea for a thread, I could spend hours trawling through my collection looking for the s***e songs.

Northernhibee
22-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder
Ob La Di - The Beatles

snooky
22-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Stop Stop Stop - Hollies
Yellow Submarine - Beatles

Pretty Boy
23-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Pretty much anything by Led Zeppelin post Physical Grafitti.

jodjam
23-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Lady Madonna.

Girlfriend in a Coma.

Pretty much every live version of Dazed and Confused.

Bob Dylan 1976–1996.

Run DMC's Walk This Way. Aerosmith? WTF were they thinking?

This is a great idea for a thread, I could spend hours trawling through my collection looking for the s***e songs.

Girlfriend in a coma is a great shout. Def one of their worst

The Modfather
23-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Anything by the Style Council. Why did the Modfather not just give us another 6 years of The Jam :agree:

Peevemor
23-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Chuck Berry - "My ding-a-ling"
Bowie - Laughing Gnome

hibby rae
23-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Chuck Berry - "My ding-a-ling"
Bowie - Laughing Gnome

Probably should mention Bowie and Jagger's cover of Dancing in the Street.

hibsbollah
23-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Some harsh ones already :greengrin 'Girlfriend' is fairly bland lyrically from Morrissey but its got a great Marr repetitive riff which makes it probably their catchiest single. Dylan did Oh Mercy and 'Slow Train Comin' in that 20 year stretch which are both brilliant albums (still a thin period in his career, no doubt). And how can you not like Dancing in the Street?! Stevie Wonder is a genius but 'Ebony and Ivory' makes me want to leap out of a tall building. 'Isnt she lovely' is cheezy but not as bad as that.

Two great shouts by Peevemor, to which id add Springsteens Human Touch/Lucky Town albums. Just awful.

hibby rae
23-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Some harsh ones already :greengrin 'Girlfriend' is fairly bland lyrically from Morrissey but its got a great Marr repetitive riff which makes it probably their catchiest single. Dylan did Oh Mercy and 'Slow Train Comin' in that 20 year stretch which are both brilliant albums (still a thin period in his career, no doubt). And how can you not like Dancing in the Street?! Stevie Wonder is a genius but 'Ebony and Ivory' makes me want to leap out of a tall building. 'Isnt she lovely' is cheezy but not as bad as that.

Two great shouts by Peevemor, to which id add Springsteens Human Touch/Lucky Town albums. Just awful.

Desire and Street Legal also fall in that 20 year period and they're decent. Never heard Slow Train Coming but Oh Mercy has some great tracks. Agree with the Springsteen choices, I love Bruce but they're not great. If we're talking Stevie then 'I just called to say I love you' has to make the list!

I stand by 'Dancing in the Street'! The Martha Reeves version is flawless but the Bowie/Jagger? Sweet Jesus.

Peevemor
23-10-2013, 06:49 PM
I would say that 'I just called ...' is far worse than 'isn't she lovely'

Surely though the biggest culprits are Sirs Paul McCartney and Elton John who, having shown themselves capable of greatness, have churned out an inordinate amount of utter crap over the past 30 years. You have to recognise when it's time to stop.

hibby rae
23-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I would say though, as the Laughing Gnome is very early in his career, I can't think of anyone more consistent and inventive than Bowie. What I would give to see him live!

Peevemor
23-10-2013, 07:04 PM
I would say though, as the Laughing Gnome is very early in his career, I can't think of anyone more consistent and inventive than Bowie. What I would give to see him live!

I saw him at Murrayfield about 30 years ago (supported by the Thomson Twins and Icehouse IIRC).

hibsbollah
23-10-2013, 07:28 PM
I saw him at Murrayfield about 30 years ago (supported by the Thomson Twins and Icehouse IIRC).

I was there! Serious Moonlight tour, I got taken by a Bowie loving parent when I was 13. Everytime I hear Lets Dance I get transported back there :agree:

nonshinyfinish
23-10-2013, 08:50 PM
I would say that 'I just called ...' is far worse than 'isn't she lovely'

Surely though the biggest culprits are Sirs Paul McCartney and Elton John who, having shown themselves capable of greatness, have churned out an inordinate amount of utter crap over the past 30 years. You have to recognise when it's time to stop.

Funny you should mention that... my friend emailed me this link a few days ago, with the comment 'McCartney's problem was that after The Beatles, he didn't have anyone to go "that is s***e".'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdCH7ZewAfY

Jesus.

Hiber-nation
23-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Funny you should mention that... my friend emailed me this link a few days ago, with the comment 'McCartney's problem was that after The Beatles, he didn't have anyone to go "that is s***e".'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdCH7ZewAfY

Jesus.

Wow, that is an utter abomination!

Difficult thread, most artists with any longevity have had their fair share of turkeys. But I've still no idea why Paul Weller stuck that crap version of Heatwave on the end of a classic album like Setting Sons.

deek
30-10-2013, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=Peevemor;3777873]I saw him at Murrayfield about 30 years ago (supported by the Thomson Twins and Icehouse IIRC).

I was there too, 10 pound a ticket and the rip off 50 pence for booking fee, ridiculous price for a ticket!!! It was a great gig though.

Hibrandenburg
30-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Captain Sensible-Happy Talk

Made him a mint but WTF?

Peevemor
30-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Captain Sensible-Happy Talk

Made him a mint but WTF?

I think you answered your own question. You could say the same about his rap thing (He said Captain, I said wot?).

Musical whoring at it's best.

Hibrandenburg
30-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Naaaaaaaaaw! Now I've got that in my head. Need to change the text.

Jambos I said what, jambos I said what's the score?

snooky
02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
"Bad songs by good bands"
See my McCartney CD review on other thread