PDA

View Full Version : Nelson could be out for weeks!

Scouse Hibee
22-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Will be a big loss to the defence.

flash
22-10-2013, 12:40 PM
The captain lifted the club when he arrived. Its time for him to step up again.

Vault Boy
22-10-2013, 01:02 PM
The captain lifted the club when he arrived. Its time for him to step up again.

He did well in his brief appearance against Celtic, lets just hope he can stay fit for a while!

Pretty Boy
22-10-2013, 01:05 PM
A fully fit McPake should be an adequate replacement.

If he's not right then Forster is fine.

Even if those 2 are struggling a fit Maybury to right back, Stevenson to left and McGivern to centre back would do.

We have ok options in there imo.

cabbageandribs1875
22-10-2013, 01:13 PM
aye yer team certainly were physical lennon, you ****

Glesgahibby
22-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Gentlemen,when was the last time we had experience to cover this or any other position on the pitch?
When was the last time James mcpake had to prove himself?once a shoehorn,now an opertunity !
Its amazing how far this squad has come :greengrin
:pfgwa :wink:

GreenCastle
22-10-2013, 01:16 PM
McGivern centre back or Forster.

McPake is also an option.

kaimendhibs
22-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Alluded to this on another thread on Sunday, but apparently my source was talking 'horse feathers'.

Sent from my iphone

The Harp Awakes
22-10-2013, 01:44 PM
McGivern centre back or Forster.

McPake is also an option.

Paddy has assembled the best squad we have had for many a season. We have decent cover now in most positions although we are still pretty reliant on Williams and Zoubir for goalkeeper and a wide player.

Hopefully this means that we should avoid our usual post Xmas slump this season when the injuries and suspensions kick in.

Andy74
22-10-2013, 01:49 PM
I know I'm against the grain on this one but would not like to see Forster and Hanlon for any period. The young guy did okay but I think we need more aggression and leadership in there. So hopefully McPake stays fit.

SMAXXA
22-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I know I'm against the grain on this one but would not like to see Forster and Hanlon for any period. The young guy did okay but I think we need more aggression and leadership in there. So hopefully McPake stays fit.

I agree :agree:, let's be honest if Pat thought Jordan was better than what we have he would be in, mcpake everyday of the week for me at the moment.

oconnors_strip
22-10-2013, 02:10 PM
I agree :agree:, let's be honest if Pat thought Jordan was better than what we have he would be in, mcpake everyday of the week for me at the moment.

Jordon is currently injured

SMAXXA
22-10-2013, 02:38 PM

I mean from day one of the season

silverhibee
22-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Who will be back up for McPake in case he gets injured.

Maybury still out.

oconnors_strip
22-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Who will be back up for McPake in case he gets injured.

Maybury still out.

Donaldson could be called back from his loan club?

Franck Stanton
22-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Paddy has assembled the best squad we have had for many a season. We have decent cover now in most positions although we are still pretty reliant on Williams and Zoubir for goalkeeper and a wide player.

Hopefully this means that we should avoid our usual post Xmas slump this season when the injuries and suspensions kick in.

re bit in bold - Decent cover ? Christ, we don't even have a R/B, haven't had for a while now-never mind decent cover for that position.

theonlywayisup
22-10-2013, 04:30 PM

re bit in bold - Decent cover ? Christ, we don't even have a R/B, haven't had for a while now-never mind decent cover for that position.

Maybe that is why The Harp Awakes said most rather than all.

truehibernian
22-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Won't happen, however if injuries start to take effect again then young Baptie in the 20's is a terrific prospect and being honest I wouldn't have any hesitation putting him at left back and moving Ryan McGivern into centre half.

By all accounts young Baptie knows he's a player (ego) but tell you what he's as impressive a full back I've seen in years (from youths point of view). Composed, quick, good passer - just needs to work on his positional sense at times, but a really really good player. I'm as confident about him making it as I was after seeing Harris years ago for the first time :agree:

andy1875
22-10-2013, 04:40 PM
I like big Nelson, a no nonsense centre half.

I thought him and Hanlon were good on Saturday and the goals against column suggests we are doing something right defensively.

Hopefully he's not out long.

snooky
22-10-2013, 05:52 PM
I thought him and Hanlon were good on Saturday and the goals against column suggests we are doing something right defensively.

Sorry, but I think he's a huddy. :coffee:

greenlex
22-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Rubbish

Aldo
22-10-2013, 06:04 PM

We have one at the moment and he's being doing just fine his name

Lewis Stevenson

;-)

andy1875
22-10-2013, 06:08 PM

Really?

I like him as I said. Just what Hanlon needs beside him imo.

The number of weak goals we conceded last season which came as a direct result of a poor centre half showing was unreal.

That same centre of the park looks a bit more solid to me this season.

Time will tell I guess.

gaz1875
22-10-2013, 06:13 PM

Agree, he has had a couple of ropey matches, but gets the ball up the pitch when he has to clear, how many times have you watched a backs to the wall game in the past and the ball rarely gets out our 18 yard box!! :greengrin

TheFamous1875
22-10-2013, 06:48 PM
He's a no nonsense huddy. He seems a great defender who lacks pace and any real footballing skill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SMAXXA
22-10-2013, 06:58 PM
He's a no nonsense huddy. He seems a great defender who lacks pace and any real footballing skill.

I agree he is a no nonsense centre half and not sure if by coincidence but I think Hanlon has looked much better this season, like anyone else he's made mistakes but I am full of praise for him so far. Which is a nice change as I'm normally quick to criticise him, but credit where it's due.

Tyler Durden
22-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Will be a big loss to the defence.

Where has the "weeks" of the thread title come from - has this been reported somewhere?

On his Twitter Nelson says he won't find out until Thursday.

neil7908
22-10-2013, 07:28 PM
I wasn't sure about Nelson when he first joined but to be fair to him he's won me over. His distribution is still poor (although I think he's beginning to learn that we cant play 50 yard passes and is starting to keep it simple) but overall he looks like the definition of a no-nonsense centre half.

He will be missed if indeed he is out but would hope McPake has been given enough game time off the bench recently that he could come back into the team on Saturday if need be.

Zazu62
22-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Nelson is what we have been crying out for since jones left, ok so he's not gonna execute 60 yard passes or dribble out of defence like David Luiz but he will play for the badge and he looks a bit of a radge. Maybe we should just get Stephens and o'hanlon back eh .

WhileTheChief..
22-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Nelson has been fantastic since he came in. Made a huge difference and is part of the reason we are no longer such push-overs.

PFs best signing as far as I'm concerend

snooky
22-10-2013, 10:04 PM
. He's a no nonsense huddy. He seems a great defender who lacks pace and any real footballing skill.

Okay, since you put it that way, I agree. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
23-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Where has the "weeks" of the thread title come from - has this been reported somewhere?

On his Twitter Nelson says he won't find out until Thursday.

Reported in EEN as "could be out for weeks" hence the thread title.

GreenOnions
23-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Nelson has been fantastic since he came in. Made a huge difference and is part of the reason we are no longer such push-overs.

:faint: This has got to be a wind up!

Nelson has some.qualities we need like being dominant in the air and being big and strong.

However his.weaknesses have cost us several goals so far this season and do not help us retain possession

McPake or Hanlon would have been slaughtered on here if they'd made even half the number of errors that Nelson has chalked up so far.

Scouse Hibee
23-10-2013, 03:50 PM

:faint: This has got to be a wind up!

Nelson has some.qualities we need like being dominant in the air and being big and strong.

However his.weaknesses have cost us several goals so far this season and do not help us retain possession

McPake or Hanlon would have been slaughtered on here if they'd made even half the number of errors that Nelson has chalked up so far.

No-one is saying he's the complete footballer, however his strengths have made a huge difference to our defence without a doubt.

GreenOnions
23-10-2013, 05:12 PM
No-one is saying he's the complete footballer, however his strengths have made a huge difference to our defence without a doubt.

Fair enough. I completely disagree though. I do agree that his physical presence helps us defend set pieces better. However, I think that's a quality of which there is an abundance in the lower leagues and it is not difficult to obtain.

If we're looking at the overall package I'd say it's a net negative for us because of Nelson's poor distribution, extraordinary lack of pace and general error-prone performances (see balls over the top for goals against v Motherwell & DUFC, failing to prevent header for winning goal by his man v Hearts, poor headed clearance directly to Killie player prior to Killie goal, various errors leading to two goals v Stranraer and complicity in the loss of two of our goals v ICT and generally being rescued on several occasions by Paul Hanlon v Thistle).

I would accept slightly less dominance in the air for someone who can run faster (allowing our defence to play a higher line without being done by long balls over the top), someone who can pass the ball better (allowing us to retain possession more effectively) and someone who makes fewer errors.

Scouse Hibee
23-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Fair enough. I completely disagree though. I do agree that his physical presence helps us defend set pieces better. However, I think that's a quality of which there is an abundance in the lower leagues and it is not difficult to obtain.

If we're looking at the overall package I'd say it's a net negative for us because of Nelson's poor distribution, extraordinary lack of pace and general error-prone performances (see balls over the top for goals against v Motherwell & DUFC, failing to prevent header for winning goal by his man v Hearts, poor headed clearance directly to Killie player prior to Killie goal, various errors leading to two goals v Stranraer and complicity in the loss of two of our goals v ICT and generally being rescued on several occasions by Paul Hanlon v Thistle).

I would accept slightly less dominance in the air for someone who can run faster (allowing our defence to play a higher line without being done by long balls over the top), someone who can pass the ball better (allowing us to retain possession more effectively) and someone who makes fewer errors.

That's why football is such a great game........it divides opinions. :thumbsup:

GreenOnions
23-10-2013, 05:20 PM
That's why football is such a great game........it divides opinions. :thumbsup:

Exactly - all I'm asking for is Hummels or Varane :wink: Not too much to ask is it?

LeithBoozy
23-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Aye, but apart from that. :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-10-2013, 09:02 PM

Nah. That O'Hanlon sort was a huddy but there is nothing wrong with a nonsense free defender that knows not to let the ball bounce and to fire it back straight where it came from.

B.H.F.C
23-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Nah. That O'Hanlon sort was a huddy but there is nothing wrong with a nonsense free defender that knows not to let the ball bounce and to fire it back straight where it came from.

Aye that's fine under pressure. I think Nelson, with the ball at his feet under very little pressure, gives it away far too much. I'm not looking for someone with the distribution of Sauzee but we need to retain the ball better from the back.

He's certainly not the worst we've had. I'd say he's been fairly hot and cold. Few solid performances but an equal few where he's been culpable for goals.

Good guy to have in the squad but not much more than that, for me.

GreenOnions
23-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Aye, but apart from that. :wink:

:greengrin

hibsbollah
24-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Nelson has been mostly solid, with some dodgy distribution spoiling his good defensive qualities. 6.5/10 so far.

Fenlons best signing? Nowhere near IMO, Ben Williams without a doubt.

Brightside
24-10-2013, 08:33 AM

If only Paul Hanlon had a right footed twin brother. We can but dream.

dangermouse
24-10-2013, 08:34 AM
I mean from day one of the season

Jordon was suspended for the start of the season

gorgie greens
24-10-2013, 10:18 PM

disagree with you,how many games have set pieces been our weak point,Celtic could have had another 10 corners and they would still get nothing,i would love his passing to be better but the way were defending is a credit to PF and all the players ,and they all seem to be working as a unit,and i think we can overlook his blistering pace or his passing and look at his good points,too many negative stuff about Hibs players,get behind the team

GreenOnions
24-10-2013, 10:28 PM
disagree with you,how many games have set pieces been our weak point,Celtic could have had another 10 corners and they would still get nothing,i would love his passing to be better but the way were defending is a credit to PF and all the players ,and they all seem to be working as a unit,and i think we can overlook his blistering pace or his passing and look at his good points,too many negative stuff about Hibs players,get behind the team

I take your point about getting behind the team - and you're right.

This is a forum for people to discuss opinions though. That's a good thing I think.

I'm not sure where we should draw the line but I wouldn't like to see people keeping their views to themselves unless it's simply vitriol.

The Official site is the place for "the party line" is it not? (or the Daily Record if you're an old firm fan :wink:)

The Voice Of Reason
25-10-2013, 08:58 AM
So has it been confirmed if big Nelson is out or not ?? :confused:

(Apologies if I have misseed this!)

P.S I think Nelson has done pretty well so far - a decent signing IMHO :agree:

marti1875
25-10-2013, 09:23 AM
So has it been confirmed if big Nelson is out or not ?? :confused:

(Apologies if I have misseed this!)

P.S I think Nelson has done pretty well so far - a decent signing IMHO :agree:

I just this very minute read The Edinburgh rag from yesterday and it says that they were waiting on news late yesterday as to the extent of his injury but that he's expected to be out for weeks!!

JimBHibees
25-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Nelson has been mostly solid, with some dodgy distribution spoiling his good defensive qualities. 6.5/10 so far.

Fenlons best signing? Nowhere near IMO, Ben Williams without a doubt.

Pretty much agree word for word. A decent experienced player though and good for Hanlon next to him thought he was excellent v Celtc.