PDA

View Full Version : Mowbray sacked by Boro

HIBERNIAN 1875
21-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Strong rumours that Mogga has been sacked by Boro, gutted for him personally, met him a few times when he was here, an absolute gent who put together a superb Hibs side.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-mowbray-parts-company-middlesbrough-6219331

Col2
21-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Wow. And now it begins. The first piece of the jigsaw in place.....

IanM
21-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Strong rumours that Mogga has been sacked by Boro, gutted for him personally, met him a few times when he was here, an absolute gent who put together a superb Hibs side.

defo away.. and agree, still think he jumped ship too.early from Hibs but likable guy and manager.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2013, 06:22 PM
He was a real legend there as a player so it would be a shame if it's come to that.

Been on the cards for a while though as they have had some poor results. Would i be right in saying he has had to deal with budget cuts in the last couple of years?

Unseen work
21-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Can't wait for all the rumours to come in such as

Mowbray will come in as manager with fenlon as assistant. Jimmy nichol first team coach and John Collins come back as director of football

Mowbray will re sign oconnor and riordan as he thinks he can get them back to their best

Hibs sign the next Amadou konte

TheFamous1875
21-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Mowbray will come in as manager with fenlon as assistant. Jimmy nichol first team coach and John Collins come back as director of football

It can happen!! GGTTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Golden Bear
21-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Sadly, Tony has outgrown us.

rcarter1
21-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Can't wait for all the rumours to come in such as

Mowbray will re sign oconnor and riordan as he thinks he can get them back to their best

Hibs sign the next Amadou konte

Mowbray has a great footballing philosophy in terms of entertainment, but dont think he could do much good to us with our budget. Im still in belief that had Mowbray not had half a Scotland team coming through the youth ranks, he would have struggled, and the entertaining football would have instead been regular heavy defeats. For one, Im not sure he has anything more tactically to say than Pat, its just he says attack instead of defend.

GreenCastle
21-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Fenlon out - Butcher in - Butcher out - Mowbray in

Billy Whizz
21-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Wow. And now it begins. The first piece of the jigsaw in place.....

No thanks

Leith Green

HAD outgrown us, past tense.. Wouldnt say so now..

Dalianwanda

Has he? He's not exactly set the heather alight with his other clubs?

Billy Whizz
21-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Has he? He's not exactly set the heather alight with his other clubs?

Emptied out of Celtic after a 4-0 defeat if I can remember v St Mirren

KdyHby
21-10-2013, 06:37 PM
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10753379.Tony_Mowbray_sacked_as_Middlesbrough_mana ger/

Billychaotic182
21-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Don't want to sound negative about a great hibs manager but there was a sportsound show a few days ago taking about te change in him after leaving hibs and saying his man management skills were awful. It was a show with Stephen McMannus and Kris Boyd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24617321

Mowbray has a great footballing philosophy in terms of entertainment, but dont think he could do much good to us with our budget. Im still in belief that had Mowbray not had half a Scotland team coming through the youth ranks, he would have struggled, and the entertaining football would have instead been regular heavy defeats. For one, Im not sure he has anything more tactically to say than Pat, its just he says attack instead of defend.

You say it was mostly to do with our youngsters but a lot of his signings were great players for us

Zemmama
Murphy
Deano
Jones
Sproule
Boozy
Killen
Benji

oneone73
21-10-2013, 06:45 PM
This.

SwanseaHibs
21-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Really nice guy but he's had that coming at Boro. They've been poor for a while and lost to Barnsley at the weekend, albeit with McCourt scoring a great goal for Barnsley.

Billy Whizz
21-10-2013, 06:50 PM
You say it was mostly to do with our youngsters but a lot of his signings were great players for us

Zemmama
Murphy
Deano
Jones
Sproule
Boozy
Killen
Benji

You're right, who was his scout

LancashireHibby
21-10-2013, 06:53 PM
He was the right bloke at the right time.

erin go bragh
21-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Entertainment !!! Yes , yes , yes , maybe with a great keeper (Williams )
TM imo would do a great job with us now .
Put it this way , Fenlon or Mowbray ? No brainer for me
TM every time .

Ggtth

BroxburnHibee
21-10-2013, 06:56 PM
IMO Mowbray got lucky with what he inherited at Hibs.

rcarter1
21-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Don't want to sound negative about a great hibs manager but there was a sportsound show a few days ago taking about te change in him after leaving hibs and saying his man management skills were awful. It was a show with Stephen McMannus and Kris Boyd

I get the impression he let guys like Riordan and O'Connor get away with murder, and was more put the arm around a man, than firm and decisive. It worked for us, because that team brought an uninhibited attacking flair to the pitch and had the ability to back it up. A really exceptional manager (a.k.a. out of our league), could have moulded that team into a league champion contending side. Mowbray is a really nice guy, but one of the also rans in management Im afraid.

tamig
21-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I get the impression he let guys like Riordan and O'Connor get away with murder, and was more put the arm around a man, than firm and decisive. It worked for us, because that team brought an uninhibited attacking flair to the pitch and had the ability to back it up. A really exceptional manager (a.k.a. out of our league), could have moulded that team into a league champion contending side. Mowbray is a really nice guy, but one of the also rans in management Im afraid.

In saying that he was very quick to empty Brebner and McManus - so not sure how your first statement can stack up.

clerriehibs
21-10-2013, 07:05 PM

I'm kinda leaning toward this point of view.

It's John Park we should get back; what's the point in being a fantastic talent scout at darkheid when very few home-grown youngsters get a chance there?

NAE NOOKIE
21-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Sorry TMs time at Hibs has come and gone.

He was the perfect manager for that young team because it was full of forward thinking players either inherited or brought in. Just the sort of team for a manager with an 'everything will be fine if we score more than them' attitude.

We just dont have the sort of players at ER now to play that way .... for a kick off we lack two swashbuckling full backs and a ball player in midfield.

Good luck in finding a new club though TM ......... You made watching the Hibees a pleasure.

rcarter1
21-10-2013, 07:12 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24617321

Zemmama
Murphy
Deano
Jones
Sproule
Boozy
Killen
Benji

It is a good point, and I will admit he brought in good players to complement what we had. Nonetheless, the number and standard of the young players at the time was extremely unusual for Hibs. The players brought in above, were over a decent length of time. Some of the wages available to him were because we could play 6 or 7 youth players who were on peanuts. Someone else has mentioned who was the scout? Its another great point, since Mowbray/Collins team we went rapidly backwards because

a) weve signed huddies
b) youth players not great

JeMeSouviens
21-10-2013, 07:13 PM

It's John Park we should get back; what's the point in being a fantastic talent scout at darkheid when very few home-grown youngsters get a chance there?

He scouts internationally now, Wanyama etc.

neil7908
21-10-2013, 07:16 PM

I was a big fan of Tony in his time at Hibs and have a lot of time for him as a guy. He comes across as one of the most genuine people in football and some of the stuff he had a us playing in his time at Easter Road was breathtaking.

However, the bit in bold is true IMO. The players available to him (some of them were brought in by Mowbray himself to be fair) were a class above most in the league at the time and although he gave me some wonderful memories, there were some incredibly frustrating times where we looked so soft it was unbelievable.

I really wanted him to be successful down in England but as other folk have said, despite still holding reservations about Fenlon, I wouldn't have Mowbray back at the club at the moment.

lord bunberry
21-10-2013, 07:16 PM
If fenlons contract isn't renewed I can't see anyone else out there that would be better for the job.
Tony mowbray or terry butcher?
Mowbray for me.

McD
21-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Loved him in his time with us, but he went down in my estimations when he was treated like a hero on returning to Easter road as Celtic manager, only to act like a (typical) petulant child, walked onto the pitch at full time to do a huddle just to be a dick, then continued acting like a bairn on live TV, refusing to watch the replay they had for him so he could continue to complain that mcgeady was harshly sent off (when it was shown clearly he dived).

I get get evryone has passion, but be a man.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Jones
Murphy
Killen
Stewart
Boozy
Benji
Zemamma
Sproule
Konte

If we could sign 2 or 3 of that quality from that list, to enhance this lot with Mowbrays style it would make things a lot easier on the eye, and dare i say it improve the team and in my opinion crowds would return.

leither17
21-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Loved him in his time with us, but he went down in my estimations when he was treated like a hero on returning to Easter road as Celtic manager, only to act like a (typical) petulant child, walked onto the pitch at full time to do a huddle just to be a dick, then continued acting like a bairn on live TV, refusing to watch the replay they had for him so he could continue to complain that mcgeady was harshly sent off (when it was shown clearly he dived).

Lost all respect I had for him that day too

Robinho08
21-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Worth noting we sustained a few heavy derby defeats under Mogga, albeit they were at the height of their financial doping.

Sudds_1
21-10-2013, 07:56 PM

sounds like a good start to me :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
21-10-2013, 08:01 PM
sounds like a good start to me :rolleyes:

I wish Mowbray's team could have defended during the last 10 minutes of games.

I think we lost late goals in 13 of our games in his last full season costing us a ream of points.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2013, 08:04 PM

I think we lost late goals in 13 of our games in his last full season costing us a ream of points.

I know what you mean Dave, i just love the way we defend for the full 90 minutes now. :wink:

Hibbyradge
21-10-2013, 08:05 PM
I know what you mean Dave, i just love the way we defend for the full 90 minutes now. :wink:

Aye, I know.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Aye, I know.

By the way dave, you must have been on your best behaviour last week. Kim said to me last night, what a lovely man you were. :greengrin

Sudds_1
21-10-2013, 08:11 PM

10 is fine.........its the other 80 that pisses me off mostly. :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
21-10-2013, 08:13 PM
By the way dave, you must have been on your best behaviour last week. Kim said to me last night, what a lovely man you were. :greengrin

:smug:

hibsbollah
21-10-2013, 08:14 PM

I remember that day well, he did behave like a dick which surprised me.
But you can't underestimate what he did for Hibs. It wasnt just the attacking play, talk to people behind the scenes, he tried to change the whole club philosophy while he was here, from small things like putting 'motivational' pictures and mottos around ER to major things like introducing state of the art post game video analysis tools which was a first in scotland at the time. He 'got' it that successful clubs need to have a professional approach at every level.

Andy74
21-10-2013, 08:18 PM
But you can't underestimate what he did for Hibs. It wasnt just the attacking play, talk to people behind the scenes, he tried to change the whole club philosophy while he was here, from small things like putting 'motivational' pictures and mottos around ER to major things like introducing state of the art post game video analysis tools which was a first in scotland at the time. He 'got' it that successful clubs need to have a professional approach at every level.

I'm not sure the players that played under him turned out to be too professional.

Some great times. Some disasters. Some great signings. Some brutal ones too!

Giving Zibi an extension after the semi final. Sorry but that's unforgivable!!

Cabbage East
21-10-2013, 08:22 PM

Eh? Hardly? Middlesbrough?

allezsauzee
21-10-2013, 08:24 PM
We don't need a new manager

Jim44
21-10-2013, 08:30 PM
We don't need a new manager

Steady now. :-)

Hainan Hibs
21-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Never looked like wanting to be at ER, managed us to some of the most embarassing derby defeats I've witnessed, came out with "unfinished business" pish before he left, and then turned into a complete and utter bawbag at Celtic, showing absolutely no respect whatsoever to the club who gave him his chance.

Get it ****ing right up ye monkeyheid.

bigwheel
21-10-2013, 08:35 PM
If Pat was to leave at the end of the season...I'd be delighted to have Mowbray back...

Mr White
21-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Never looked like wanting to be at ER, managed us to some of the most embarassing derby defeats I've witnessed, came out with "unfinished business" pish before he left, and then turned into a complete and utter bawbag at Celtic, showing absolutely no respect whatsoever to the club who gave him his chance.

Get it ****ing right up ye monkeyheid.
If saint tony came back I reckon he'd make Kev captain again. I'd like that.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure the players that played under him turned out to be too professional.

Some great times. Some disasters. Some great signings. Some brutal ones too!

Giving Zibi an extension after the semi final. Sorry but that's unforgivable!!

There's a couple of obvious exceptions but the majority of the team that played under Mowbray have went on to have decent careers at a good level or are/were decent pros.

Whittaker
Caldwell
Murphy
Thomson
Brown
Fletcher
Hogg
Shiels

Andy74
21-10-2013, 08:45 PM
If Pat was to leave at the end of the season...I'd be delighted to have Mowbray back...

If he promised not to sign goalkeepers or centre halfs!

snooky
21-10-2013, 08:49 PM

:agree: Very lucky.

TheFamous1875
21-10-2013, 08:49 PM
If he promised not to sign goalkeepers or centre halfs!

It was Sauzee that got Caldwell in, wasn't it? Now there's a man who should have great contacts...

TheFamous1875
21-10-2013, 08:53 PM
He never pushed on after Hibs. I think he and the group of players that flourished under him believed they were destined for greater things (apparently he preached this to them?), when really they were at their greatest together at ER. This was the beginning of most of those players' careers and his as a manager, and I can't think of anyone other than Fletcher that really served their 'apprenticeship' properly. Almost none of them lived up to their potential.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2013, 08:56 PM
:agree: Very lucky.

Bobby Williamson had the same core of players the year before.

Whilst they showed undoubted potential they didn't look a great team. Pretty poor at times.

Mowbray added a few good players (and a few duff ones as well) and we went from a bottom 6 side to 3rd in one season with some hugely memorable results again.

He may have been 'lucky', he may have been a bit of a dick when he came back with Celtic but turning over Rangers at Ibrox twice, absolutely embarrassing Celtic at Parkhead, genuinely expecting to win almost every game....

Mowbray was a million miles from perfect, worth remembering he was a rookie boss, but following Hibs under him was for large spells hugely enjoyable. Whether he's the right man if the job comes up again is another matter but Mowbray was good for Hibs when he was here.

Kato
21-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Sounds like people want a mix of both the current manager and a former one.

Pat Mowbray - out, Tony Fenlon in.

Truthfully I reckon TM suffered from his time at ER as the 5 in midfield became the fashion, post-Greece winning the Euros'. It's also true, as the guy said above, that having all those future Scotland stars helped - but he did develop them superbly. His time is been and done, though.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2013, 08:58 PM

Whilst they showed undoubted potential they didn't look a great team. Pretty poor at times.

Mowbray added a few good players (and a few duff ones as well) and we went from a bottom 6 side to 3rd in one season with some hugely memorable results again.

He may have been 'lucky', he may have been a bit of a dick when he came back with Celtic but turning over Rangers at Ibrox twice, absolutely embarrassing Celtic at Parkhead, genuinely expecting to win almost every game....

Mowbray was a million miles from perfect, worth remembering he was a rookie boss, but following Hibs under him was for large spells hugely enjoyable. Whether he's the right man if the job comes up again is another matter but Mowbray was good for Hibs when he was here.

:agree:

Kato
21-10-2013, 09:00 PM

:agree::agree:

eastterrace
21-10-2013, 09:02 PM

:top marks

Glory Lurker
21-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Loved Mowbray's time at Hibs, although it was beginning to go a little flat towards the end. In the past, but.

This thread has made me realise how totally Hibs-centric my view of football is - I had forgotten entirely that Mowbray was ever Celtic manager, and I had to google it to make sure I wasn't missing out on some hilarious .net joke!

hibsbollah
21-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Judging by the Boro facebook page, Mogga is still very popular with the fans and most of them blame WGS previous regime and the board.

weecounty hibby
21-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Why not just try to get Alex Miller back!!!! We have a manager who id doing ok at the moment. TM left us and has been largely pish since. Why would we want him back. No thanks for me. Celtic manager is easy you only have one team to beat. Boro failed under his leadership having spent millions. And as for the folk going on about attractive Mowbray type football enticing fans to games just look at boros last few home games. Crowds plummeting. Fans want winning teams not teams that play well and lose

OsloHibs
21-10-2013, 09:33 PM
We have a manager. Please not this :rolleyes: anymore. I'm really up for Aberdeen this weekend :pfgwa

McD
21-10-2013, 10:05 PM

Agreed, he brought a breath of fresh air with him, and was much more switched on than the usual faces who seem to go round and round Scottish fitba (Alex smith anyone?).

down-the-slope
21-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Sadly, Tony has outgrown us.pliers needed to extract tongue from cheek :rolleyes:

RIP
21-10-2013, 10:44 PM
East Mains

stu in nottingham
21-10-2013, 11:34 PM
I recall Tony Mowbray giving an interview when he was Hibs' manager saying that he didn't see himself ultimately as a 'career Scottish football manager' or similar. I wonder how he'd feel now given the right offer?

It's a funny old game.

cabbageandribs1875
22-10-2013, 01:32 AM
was it Tony Mowbray that left us a nice wee going away present when he left................ a 20 year contract extension for Zibi :brickwall

3pm
22-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Enjoyed Mowbray's spell but I wouldn't want him back.

poolman
22-10-2013, 06:53 AM
Enjoyed Mowbray's spell but I wouldn't want him back.

:agree: Not after his carry on at Er when he came back with the Smellies

Craig_in_Prague
22-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Why not just try to get Alex Miller back!!!! We have a manager who id doing ok at the moment. TM left us and has been largely pish since. Why would we want him back. No thanks for me. Celtic manager is easy you only have one team to beat. Boro failed under his leadership having spent millions. And as for the folk going on about attractive Mowbray type football enticing fans to games just look at boros last few home games. Crowds plummeting. Fans want winning teams not teams that play well and lose

Dont fans actually want their team to play well and win?
It IS possible.
Easter Road won't see increases in attendences until performances are better. Though, our boring "winning" team has won, 2 league games in 2013?

FWIW, I wouldn't want Mowbray back. He was ideal at the time and had Hibs playing a terrific way and he did make many good signings too (a few stinkers as well, but overall it was more positive than bad), but I am not sure if he would produce anything 2nd time round, with much less talent at his disposal and also even less money around the Scottish game.

Thecat23
22-10-2013, 07:20 AM

I'd love Park back at Hibs, never had a proper scouting system since he left. It really was a huge blow to us when he went along the M8.

As for Mowbray he did have a great group of players coming through but to get them playing the way he wanted is all done to him. I think people are being a tad harsh. Although he did have some shockers as well right enough.

Hibbyradge
22-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Fans want winning teams not teams that play well and lose

Boring, soulless, negative winning with little or no decent football wouldn't entice me to go more regularly.

Although we beat Stranraer 5 -3, I was disappointed in our performance and the win against Partick was horrible.

I was hopeful that we'd turned the corner against St Mirren because for large parts of that game, we played free flowing enjoyable football.

I'd rather we finished 6th playing good, entertaining football, than finish 3rd playing as we did against Partick etc.

IanM
22-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Boring, soulless, negative winning with little or no decent football wouldn't entice me to go more regularly.

Although we beat Stranraer 5 -3, I was disappointed in our performance and the win against Partick was horrible.

I was hopeful that we'd turned the corner against St Mirren because for large parts of that game, we played free flowing enjoyable football.

I'd rather we finished 6th playing good, entertaining football, than finish 3rd playing as we did against Partick etc.

really?? so you'd be more inclined to go watch a hibs team that got beat more than it won???

i get the football hasn't been great but whats wrong with wanting to see good football and a winning side, it's not impossible with the squad we have.. maybe need a change in direction somewhere along the lines but if our fans are happy with just better perfromances but an average season then whats the point?

yekimevol
22-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Im happy enough with paddy just now, if he was to leave I would take mogga back in a instant !

His fast flowing attacking football at easter road was the best time i remember for a long time, some very decent signing and we were entertained.

:flag::flag::flag:

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 08:19 AM

you must be at a right loose end now the festivals finished with comedy gold like that.

That has to be, easily the most dimwitted thing ive read on this forum.

Caversham Green
22-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Dont fans actually want their team to play well and win?
It IS possible.
Easter Road won't see increases in attendences until performances are better. Though, our boring "winning" team has won, 2 league games in 2013?

FWIW, I wouldn't want Mowbray back. He was ideal at the time and had Hibs playing a terrific way and he did make many good signings too (a few stinkers as well, but overall it was more positive than bad), but I am not sure if he would produce anything 2nd time round, with much less talent at his disposal and also even less money around the Scottish game.

We've actually won 8 league games in 2013 - 6 away from home.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Moan when we are p1sh and moan when were doing half decent. unreal.

Craig_in_Prague
22-10-2013, 08:34 AM
We've actually won 8 league games in 2013 - 6 away from home.

I had meant to write Home games.

2 in 2013.
Shocking.

Onion
22-10-2013, 08:37 AM

We also have a manager who is just two games away from everyone on hibs.net wanting sacked. Lose to the Dons and Yams and we'll all want his head. Football is a hard business and Hibs need to toughen up off the field and well as on it. The Board need to be looking ahead, more proactive in running the club and get away from the crisis buys and manager appointments we've had over the last few years. If a good man comes up (and not saying Mowbray is right) then the Board need to look at that. If sacking Fenlon NOW to get a better man in is the right thing to do, then Hibs need to look at that.

Carheenlea
22-10-2013, 08:37 AM
you must be at a right loose end now the festivals finished with comedy gold like that.

The Hibs job is now one of toughest managerial gigs in the game, with a high maintenance, hard to please support to contend with.

Onion
22-10-2013, 08:38 AM

Wait 5 minutes :greengrin

khib70
22-10-2013, 08:45 AM

Jeez - Hibs fans being abused on a Hibs forum for wanting to see the team play decent football. We really have sunk to a new low:confused:

Zazu62
22-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Why did he do the huddle with the Celtic players after the full time whistle at Easter road?

Onion
22-10-2013, 08:46 AM
The Hibs job is now one of toughest managerial gigs in the game, with a high maintenance, hard to please support to contend with.

Agreed, but the upside is any manager who can win us the Scottish Cup becomes an instant legend and will be revered for the rest of their life by generations of fans. Where else can you get that ? We want tough on and off the field !

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 08:48 AM

I dont think thats the case, the majority of folk on this forum who choose to run there mouths of are in no way shape or form the bulk or voice of the hibernian support. The majority of people i know are delighted to be hibs supporters at the moment, weve come of the back of a few dissapointing seasons,we have eventually this season started to look like a decent side, had a few good results and folk are still having a go. its mental and completely uncalled for. its no wonder we have a better record away from home.

With regards to the partick game, yes the performance was awful but even the best teams in the world would take playing badly and winning its called a lucky break, and right now we should be accepting any breaks we can get with open arms.

the negativity towards the club, our form and some of our players on this forum disgusts me.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Jeez - Hibs fans being abused on a Hibs forum for wanting to see the team play decent football. We really have sunk to a new low:confused:

care to explain where ive abused anyone?

khib70
22-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Cap, fits, wear

The Sea-gull
22-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Not a huge Fenlon fan but as have said before he still deserves a wee bit more time to continue his progress of us. There is no denying he does appear to be slowly progressing us.

We have to be realistic, it is difficult to go from genuine relegation contenders to Euro qualifiers in the space of two years. We were Tom Kite when Fenlon took over and he saved us from relegation. Only just but he still saved us. Last season he took us away from a relegation battle and into a challenge for the top 6. Not where we want to be but not bad considering we were relgation fodder the season before.

This season we need to stick with him and allow him to at least get us to the top 6. With nearly every passing week, I am actually thinking we might just about get there and I didn't always have that much faith in Fenlon.

A lot of ifs here but IF we finish in the bottom six and IF Mowbray is still available then he would be an option. I'm not sure you should ever go back and I do wonder if Mowbray is that good a manager. He did a decent enough job at WBA but has not met expectations at Boro and epically failed at Celtic after being given a lot of trust by the Celtic Board to do it his way.

I still believe Mowbray was more than just lucky at Hibs though. He signed some good players to go with the "golden generation". The "golden generation" would not have been as good without the likes of Shiels, Jones, Benji, Zemmama, Killen, Stewart, Boozy, Murphy et al. We'd take more or less everyone of those players now if they were at the level they were at 8 or 9 years ago. Whether we got them coz we paid better wages, had better scouts or had a management team with a better eye for a player than we have had since about 2006 is up for debate.

Golden Bear
22-10-2013, 09:05 AM

I agree 100% Mr Radge.

The key word is ENTERTAINMENT. It's expensive to attend a game and for the privilege of stumping up my cash I certainly don't want to be bored to death.

Hibs have beeen poor for so long now and we have an entire generation of fans who have become accustomed to the poor fare on offer and are willing to grasp a win (any win) regardless of the circumstances it was achieved.

We deserve better ------------ much better.

CropleyWasGod
22-10-2013, 09:09 AM

You're not on here very often, are you?

:greengrin

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Cap, fits, wear

Thats abuse is it??? oh dear. the mind boggles.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 09:15 AM
You're not on here very often, are you?

thankfully not :wink:

hibsbollah
22-10-2013, 10:18 AM
care to explain where ive abused anyone?

One of the definitions of abuse is to speak contemptuous or insultingly about someone. Which you did. Unless youre confusing 'abuse' with the tabloid 'Saville' definition theres really no need to get on your high horse about being called out for it :dunno:

I cant see why anyone thinks that radge's point is so ridiculous, to be honest. I would also take 6th place playing attractive football than 3rd place playing dull football, especially when the european qualification that 3rd gets you is inevitably going to lead to immediate elimination and embarrassment. For all his faults, Mowbray had us CAPABLE of playing in a way that Hughes, Mixu, Calderwood or Fenlon couldnt. We didnt do it every week but when it did click it could trouble almost anyone :agree:

chrisski33
22-10-2013, 10:22 AM
We need to be looking forwards not backwards! Who says mowbray would be a success 2nd time round? Dont think theres a chance hes coming back here anyway.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 10:25 AM
One of the definitions of abuse is to speak contemptuous or insultingly about someone. Which you did. Unless youre confusing 'abuse' with the tabloid 'Saville' definition theres really no need to get on your high horse about being called out for it :dunno:

I cant see why anyone thinks that radge's point is so ridiculous, to be honest. I would also take 6th place playing attractive football than 3rd place playing dull football, especially when the european qualification that 3rd gets you is inevitably going to lead to immediate elimination and embarrassment. For all his faults, Mowbray had us CAPABLE of playing in a way that Hughes, Mixu, Calderwood or Fenlon couldnt. We didnt do it every week but when it did click it could trouble almost anyone :agree:

mid-table over europe, aye, carry on.

Ive also no idea why your talking about fenlon in the past tense, he is currently our manager, deserves our full backing and is, at this present moment grinding out some decent results for us.

I cant for the life of me fathom out why anyone in there right mind would rather we finished further down the table.

Andy74
22-10-2013, 10:30 AM

Yeah, the debate is getting silly now. In any case I think 6th would show you coudn't really have played good football. Just passing the ball about means nowt if you can't win the games.

John Hughes tried to get the team passing at all times and what we'd think of as the right way but there is only so long before we get fed up of not winning and not being tough enough or having an other plan.

Pretty Boy
22-10-2013, 10:33 AM

Why is that so ridiculous?

Neither us or anyone else in Scotland are good enough to make the Europa group stages anytime soon. One of games against the likes of Malmo make us next to no extra money.

Many on here seem to either be pretending that Malmo didn't happen or treating itbas a glorified pre season friendly.

Give me a couple of decent cup runs and 6th over Europe any day.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Why is that so ridiculous?

Neither us or anyone else in Scotland are good enough to make the Europa group stages anytime soon. One of games against the likes of Malmo make us next to no extra money.

Many on here seem to either be pretending that Malmo didn't happen or treating itbas a glorified pre season friendly.

Give me a couple of decent cup runs and 6th over Europe any day.

So getting into the habit of competing at the highest level wouldnt benefit our current crop of players. finishing mid table would. i dont get that im affraid.

Its priceless experience not only as a team but for the players we have on board and will improve us as a team.

Finishing as high up the table as possible regardless of if we have played like barca to get there is key in any league competition and would only build confidence within the team.

Pretty Boy
22-10-2013, 10:40 AM
So getting into the habit of competing at the highest level wouldnt benefit our current crop of players. finishing mid table would. i dont get that im affraid.

Its priceless experience not only as a team but for the players we have on board and will improve us as a team.

What was priceless about the games v Maribor or Malmo?

Player don't hang about long enough at clubs like Hibs to massively benefit from 1 or 2 European games together. The good ones move on to pastures new and the bad ones are moved on whether they want to go or not.

The season we won the League Cup we finished 6th and i don't remember too much complaining about not making Europe then.

5 or 10 years ago Europe would have excited me, getting beat in the 1st or 2nd round now isn't really all that exciting to me i'm afraid.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Player don't hang about long enough at clubs like Hibs to massively benefit from 1 or 2 European games together. The good ones move on to pastures new and the bad ones are moved on whether they want to go or not.

The season we won the League Cup we finished 6th and i don't remember too much complaining about not making Europe then.

5 or 10 years ago Europe would have excited me, getting beat in the 1st or 2nd round now isn't really all that exciting to me i'm afraid.

whats priceless?? the experience for the club and fans, the finances, the experience for our younger players. the chance we might get a run going.

The point of our game is to be the best you can be is it not?

With rangers out the way we have a chance to become the second best club in the country, maybe even the first who knows its not mathimatically impossible. if we kick on, finish up there and get in europe then thats where these players want to play, at the highest level, there is far more chance of them jumping ship if we constantly finish 6th.

Andy74
22-10-2013, 10:46 AM

I think it was too early for us this time and we had a particular rebuild job to do that hopefully as you progress you mitigate that a bit by having players in contract. Going into next year we'd now already have Collins and Heff available, not just Vine as our only striker for example. Craig, Robertson, OTJ, Nelson all a year into their careers with us. It should start to get more settled to a position where you can try and compete a bit.

I do think UEFA need to address the thing though. Fitness aside the fact is these clubs already have their squad in place as well. We are still trying to do that at that time of year and much as we say we should plan then football world doesn't revolve around us and our early rerquirements.

Anyway, I'd much rather we got there than didn't.

The 5-1 hammering in Dnipro probably was a good experience in the long run for a few of the guys in that team. That was also at a time when we should have been a bit more prepared!

It's like getting to cup finals - the more you get there, the more chance you have of handling the situation next time.

Andy74
22-10-2013, 10:48 AM

Yeah there was a lot of complaing about league position. We barely won a game after the cup final, we got beaten in the Scottsh semi by a team that got relegated and there was a player revolt. We improved a lot ths start of the next season then collpased again. The nice passing the ball on the ground was no real comfort to the fact we were pretty dire at that stage.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I think it was too early for us this time and we had a particular rebuild job to do that hopefully as you progress you mitigate that a bit by having players in contract. Going into next year we'd now already have Collins and Heff available, not just Vine as our only striker for example. Craig, Robertson, OTJ, Nelson all a year into their careers with us. It should start to get more settled to a position where you can try and compete a bit.

I do think UEFA need to address the thing though. Fitness aside the fact is these clubs already have their squad in place as well. We are still trying to do that at that time of year and much as we say we should plan then football world doesn't revolve around us and our early rerquirements.

Anyway, I'd much rather we got there than didn't.

The 5-1 hammering in Dnipro probably was a good experience in the long run for a few of the guys in that team. That was also at a time when we should have been a bit more prepared!

It's like getting to cup finals - the more you get there, the more chance you have of handling the situation next time.

Couldnt agree more :thumbsup:

erin go bragh
22-10-2013, 11:24 AM

I see where your comming from HR but would you rather we play entertaining football next wed and lose or win ugly ?
Im all for being entertained but against that lot its the winning that counts ,.

Ggtth

Sammy7nil
22-10-2013, 11:37 AM
I see where your comming from HR but would you rather we play entertaining football next wed and lose or win ugly ?
Im all for being entertained but against that lot its the winning that counts ,.

Ggtth

I agree with HR and you (sitting on the fence :greengrin ) Lets play entertaining enjoyable football in 80% of all games. In the other 20% like cup games, OF games and derbies just WIN any which way you can. :wink:

Keith_M
22-10-2013, 11:44 AM
I think this thread has just overtaken all the previous ''could we tempt [Riordan,O'Connor,Matty Jack, etc] back to Hibs" in terms of ludicrousness *

* Is that a word?

Andy74
22-10-2013, 11:47 AM
I think this thread has just overtaken all the previous ''could we tempt [Riordan,O'Connor,Matty Jack, etc] back to Hibs" in terms of ludicrousness *

* Is that a word?

I don't see why it wouldn't be doable if we were looking for a manager.

Keith_M
22-10-2013, 11:54 AM
OK, here's my list, in order of most to least acceptable, of what I'd like to see from Hibs in terms of results/style.

1) Beat Hearts in any manner required.
2) Win with style (e.g. LC Final v Killie)
3) Beat a similar sized club with a mixture of pragmatism and skill.
4) Fight your way to a result against a superior side (e.g. Game against Celtc)
5) Play silky soccer against a vastly superior side and run them close, with all spectators admiring Hibs style of play.
6) Play silky soccer and get royally humped
7) Play eye-bleeding football and still get beat
8) Get beat by Hearts

SaulGoodman
22-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Agreed, but the upside is any manager who can win us the Scottish Cup becomes an instant legend and will be revered for the rest of their life by generations of fans. Where else can you get that ? We want tough on and off the field !

The way this forum goes we could win the Scottish cup but people would still be calling for the managers head after we lose our first pre season friendly! :wink:

jacomo
22-10-2013, 12:09 PM

* Is that a word?

ludicrosity??

:wink:

Keith_M
22-10-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't be doable if we were looking for a manager.

No, Hibs aren't looking for a manager and if we were, I don't think Mowbray would consider returning.

jacomo
22-10-2013, 12:14 PM
TM looked and sounded bored of Scottish fitba when he left us, then had a bruising experience with Celtc. I can't imagine he wants to come back to work north of the Border.

His return to ER with Celtc was an unedifying spectacle - I guess he was already under pressure at the time as he never really seemed comfortable there from day one - but still, his refusal to acknowledge the warm reception he got from us made all his chat about integrity ring hollow.

Still, I can't think ill of the man. He did a good job for us and the memories are mostly good. The poor away form and the semi-final drubbing by them were not good.

It's hard to see where he might go next - no club means more to him than Boro, does he really have a future in management? Maybe he could get a coaching job somewhere? Maybe they could mix it up and Mark Venus could be the figurehead next time??

lapsedhibee
22-10-2013, 01:45 PM
That wasn't the dichotomy suggested by HR though. It wasn't 6th v 3rd, it was good football v 3rd.

* Is that a word?

Famous, Fame
Nervous, Nerve
Gelatinous, Gelatine
Lustrous, Lustre
Ridiculous, Ridicule
Ludicrous, Ludicre :agree:

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 01:56 PM
That wasn't the dichotomy suggested by HR though. It wasn't 6th v 3rd, it was good football v 3rd.

to quote hr "I'd rather we finished 6th playing good, entertaining football, than finish 3rd playing as we did against Partick etc."

"id rather we finished 6th" being key to the points ive been making.

are you one of these hibs fans that would rather we finished as far down the table as possible as well?

Keith_M
22-10-2013, 02:26 PM
to quote hr "I'd rather we finished 6th playing good, entertaining football, than finish 3rd playing as we did against Partick etc."

"id rather we finished 6th" being key to the points ive been making.

are you one of these hibs fans that would rather we finished as far down the table as possible as well?

Sorry but the only possible response to your comment is...

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Joe Baker II
22-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Seems a bit harsh to attack Mowbray over his record against Hearts; it is I think

Won 3 Drawn 3 Lost 4

Given Hearts were decent most at that time, that is not too bad and the attitude of the Hibs Board in refusing to consider moving that game to Murrayfield contributed far more to the semi final defeat than anything Mowbray did.

There was certainly nothing under Mowbray that compares with the shame of the Malmo game (though would give some Fenlon some leeway over the 2012 final as at least he got us there). Using the Dnipro tie to attack TM is unfair too; we did everything right in the home game and we were somewhat unlucky to lose 5-1 away (4-2/4-3 would have been more accurately reflection of the run of play)

Agree not sure how effective a Mowbray return to ER would be but would take him over Fenlon any day, some fans seem to think Hibs league position (even in the unlikely event it is sustained) is more important than creating an atmosphere that makes supporters actually want to go to games more regularly.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Sorry but the only possible response to your comment is...

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

the only thing thats mildly amusing is folk that would rather we finished 6th than 3rd.

Onion
22-10-2013, 02:36 PM
The way this forum goes we could win the Scottish cup but people would still be calling for the managers head after we lose our first pre season friendly! :wink:

Is like to test that before I die :)

Brightside
22-10-2013, 02:47 PM
the only thing thats mildly amusing is folk that would rather we finished 6th than 3rd.

If you are only bothered about winning games and have no concern about the style of football we play why do you bother going? Really - why do you support Hibs? I want a team to play attractive football - I want that more than finishing 3rd in the SPL. If your only concern is winning things become a Celtic fan.

Andy74
22-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Seems a bit harsh to attack Mowbray over his record against Hearts; it is I think

Won 3 Drawn 3 Lost 4

Given Hearts were decent most at that time, that is not too bad and the attitude of the Hibs Board in refusing to consider moving that game to Murrayfield contributed far more to the semi final defeat than anything Mowbray did.

There was certainly nothing under Mowbray that compares with the shame of the Malmo game (though would give some Fenlon some leeway over the 2012 final as at least he got us there). Using the Dnipro tie to attack TM is unfair too; we did everything right in the home game and we were somewhat unlucky to lose 5-1 away (4-2/4-3 would have been more accurately reflection of the run of play)

Agree not sure how effective a Mowbray return to ER would be but would take him over Fenlon any day, some fans seem to think Hibs league position (even in the unlikely event it is sustained) is more important than creating an atmosphere that makes supporters actually want to go to games more regularly.

Ah so basically anything bad under Mowbray was a bit unlucky or someone else's fault?

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 02:51 PM
If you are only bothered about winning games and have no concern about the style of football we play why do you bother going? Really - why do you support Hibs? I want a team to play attractive football - I want that more than finishing 3rd in the SPL. If your only concern is winning things become a Celtic fan.

Have you actually read anything ive said?

Where do i say im only bothered about winning games? not concerned about the way we play?

and ive clearly stated i want hibs to do better and play at the best level. are you mental or something?

and im quite happy supporting hibs thanks.

read peoples posts before jumping on the bandwagon.

Brightside
22-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Have you actually read anything ive said?

Where do i say im only bothered about winning games? not concerned about the way we play?

and ive clearly stated i want hibs to do better and play at the best level. are you mental or something?

and im quite happy supporting hibs thanks.

read peoples posts before jumping on the bandwagon.

You said you'd rather come 3rd than 6th - despite the football being played. Thats what the whole discussion is about. Some of us are unhappy with the style of football we currently play, some appear to be only concerned with picking up points.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 03:01 PM
You said you'd rather come 3rd than 6th - despite the football being played. Thats what the whole discussion is about. Some of us are unhappy with the style of football we currently play, some appear to be only concerned with picking up points.

sorry if im confusing you here but is that not what its all about?

and whats wrong with wanting my club to win things? can you explain why you think i should be better of watching celtic for wanting my team to win things? wee bit out of order if im being honest.

all i want is for Hibs to get used to winning again, how we do that i couldnt really give a ****. once we are used to that then we can work on playing nice silky football. its folk like you that are wanting far to much from the club, win at all costs and win in style. we will get no-where with that cavalier attitude.

how about if we got relegated, but played some decent stuff along the way? would that be acceptable for you?

Brightside
22-10-2013, 03:09 PM
sorry if im confusing you here but is that not what its all about?

and whats wrong with wanting my club to win things? can you explain why you think i should be better of watching celtic for wanting my team to win things? wee bit out of order if im being honest.

all i want is for Hibs to get used to winning again, how we do that i couldnt really give a ****. once we are used to that then we can work on playing nice silky football. its folk like you that are wanting far to much from the club, win at all costs and win in style. we will get no-where with that cavalier attitude.

how about if we got relegated, but played some decent stuff along the way? would that be acceptable for you?

Thats an extreme. Look out our league, our squad. We should be more than capable of beating most teams by playing attractive football.

Andy74
22-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Thats an extreme. Look out our league, our squad. We should be more than capable of beating most teams by playing attractive football.

Yeah just like that after years of finishing well behind most of them. Let's win and win well when we can. But win.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 03:20 PM

wow. and youve got the cheek to tell me i should be watching celtic. your demanding a winning team, and one that plays silky attractive football and demanding it now.

make no mistake, i also want a silky attractive, easy on the eye hibs, winning constantly. but right now we have to roll with the punches. we need to find the habit of winning games and how we do that i couldnt give a ****, if its playing with 10 men behind the ball and snatching a last minute winner so be it. the good stuff will come when the confidence comes back.

ive read a fair ammount of ***** on this forum, and some of the stuff on this thread is comedy gold. complaining about the way we are winning. unreal.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2013, 04:12 PM
wow. and youve got the cheek to tell me i should be watching celtic. your demanding a winning team, and one that plays silky attractive football and demanding it now.

make no mistake, i also want a silky attractive, easy on the eye hibs, winning constantly. but right now we have to roll with the punches. we need to find the habit of winning games and how we do that i couldnt give a ****, if its playing with 10 men behind the ball and snatching a last minute winner so be it. the good stuff will come when the confidence comes back.

ive read a fair ammount of ***** on this forum, and some of the stuff on this thread is comedy gold. complaining about the way we are winning. unreal.

You will never hear me complain about a Hibs win, but i will say how we have played either good or bad.

Now we have crowds around the 9500 at the minute, i know the way we have played for virtually the whole of Fenlons tenure have made me give up watching regularly, in fact my last game was Malmo and my next one is the cup game.

I'm not alone it appears, and the sort of crowds we got under Mowbray and Collins are a distant memory, i'd be there every week if we played like we did under Mowbray win lose or draw.

You see i was excited about going to watch us,but that went a long time ago.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 04:18 PM
You will never hear me complain about a Hibs win, but i will say how we have played either good or bad.

Now we have crowds around the 9500 at the minute, i know the way we have played for virtually the whole of Fenlons tenure have made me give up watching regularly, in fact my last game was Malmo and my next one is the cup game.

I'm not alone it appears, and the sort of crowds we got under Mowbray and Collins are a distant memory, i'd be there every week if we played like we did under Mowbray win lose or draw.

i get what your saying and agree. but rome wasnt built in a day, we need to give pat time and right now he's showing signs that he might be getting there.

Joe Baker II
22-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Ah so basically anything bad under Mowbray was a bit unlucky or someone else's fault?

No I wasn't but his record against hearts, the 2006 semi final and the Dnipro games are often unfairly used to damn him as some Hibs fans seem very anti-Mowbray for some reason, may I ask what you are actually saying you disagree with in the post?

Joe Baker II
22-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Crowds now would imply there are several thousands feel the same way as you.

Andy74
22-10-2013, 04:53 PM
No I wasn't but his record against hearts, the 2006 semi final and the Dnipro games are often unfairly used to damn him as some Hibs fans seem very anti-Mowbray for some reason, may I ask what you are actually saying you disagree with in the post?

I actually agree with you and I liked Mowbray. What I don't agree with is the same leeway isn't being given to Fenlon. In fact certain people are going out their way to blame him solely for things there were also good reasons for.

The Hearts semi final for example. You could argue that by signing Zibi and not having after a decent period of time enough cover in other areas he was very culpable for a heavy and embarassing defeat. Just as bad as the 5-1 where Fenlon had only had a short period with a team who he had taken over and were fighting relegation.

The Dnipro game. We actually were very poor at home. We shut up shop when they were there for the taking. We got a skelping away from home. It was with a pretty settled team at an okay time of the season. It wasn't 7-0 at home but there were less excuses for him.

Just to illustrate that I ink a bit of the current criticism is over the top about those events.

Andy74
22-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Crowds now would imply there are several thousands feel the same way as you.

Along with the small matter of increased costs in going to football at the far end of a prolonged recession. Have you polled enough people to know why they aren't going?

lapsedhibee
22-10-2013, 05:32 PM

There's enough straw men inside your head to rent it out as a stable.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 05:35 PM
There's enough straw men inside your head to rent it out as a stable.

at least theres something in my head. fresh air is all thats in yours judging by the ***** you post on here.

your boring as ****, away over to kickback or something with your pals. they all have the same thinking as you, wanting us to finish as far down the table as possible.

cabbageandribs1875
22-10-2013, 05:45 PM
cup of tea anyone

http://buttercuppunch.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/tea_cup_small.jpg

hibsbollah
22-10-2013, 05:57 PM
at least theres something in my head. fresh air is all thats in yours judging by the ***** you post on here.

your boring as ****, away over to kickback or something with your pals. they all have the same thinking as you, wanting us to finish as far down the table as possible.

You're very annoyed indeed, it seems. And desperate to keep strawmanning till it comes out of your ears.

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 05:59 PM
You're very annoyed indeed, it seems. And desperate to keep strawmanning till it comes out of your ears.

annoyed? not in the slightest. im strawmanning my way home from work now so im out. you guys bach on with you negativity though its been entertaining.

hibsbollah
22-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Any chance of a 'straw man' smiley, admins?

hibsbollah
22-10-2013, 06:04 PM
annoyed? not in the slightest. im strawmanning my way home from work now so im out. you guys bach on with you negativity though its been entertaining.

I dont think you understand what negativity is.

weecounty hibby
22-10-2013, 06:50 PM
I get what folk say about silky football and winning like that would be great and would attract fans back but the main word in there is WINNING. Boros games probably were entertaining, Saturday was a 3-2 defeat i mean 5 goals that must have been great to watch. They also got beat 4-1 by Ipswich i think, now surely another 5 goals in the match must have had Boros fans purring with delight at the football on show! I know i certainly feel much happier when Hibs have won even if they have played poorly than i do when they lose even if it was a high scoring free flowing match

weecounty hibby
22-10-2013, 07:15 PM
I have to say that i dont know where all of this mythical style of play comes from. I have been a Hibby for 40 years now and can only very vaguely remember the Tornadoes. I have though memories of being relegated twice, battling to avoid relegation a number of other times. Bertie Aulds managerial style, 8 of Alex Millers 10 years were torture. Duffys time was terrible, Hughes turned to ****, Mixus time was terrible. Calderwood was horrific. McLiesh was good but nearly bankrupt the club. Mowbrays time was enjoyable. Collins gave us 2007. In short most of my time watching Hibs has been spent watching average at best football while being at the wrong end of the table and i suspect that most of us on here are the same

brian6-2
22-10-2013, 08:59 PM
I dont think you understand what negativity is.

look at about 90% of the pish you read on this forum. thats negativity.

Andy74
22-10-2013, 09:47 PM
I have to say that i dont know where all of this mythical style of play comes from. I have been a Hibby for 40 years now and can only very vaguely remember the Tornadoes. I have though memories of being relegated twice, battling to avoid relegation a number of other times. Bertie Aulds managerial style, 8 of Alex Millers 10 years were torture. Duffys time was terrible, Hughes turned to ****, Mixus time was terrible. Calderwood was horrific. McLiesh was good but nearly bankrupt the club. Mowbrays time was enjoyable. Collins gave us 2007. In short most of my time watching Hibs has been spent watching average at best football while being at the wrong end of the table and i suspect that most of us on here are the same

It's appeared the last few weeks due to results improving and people still wanting something to dislike Fenlon for.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Amazing.

IWasThere2016
23-10-2013, 11:52 AM

I agree 100% Mr Radge.

The key word is ENTERTAINMENT. It's expensive to attend a game and for the privilege of stumping up my cash I certainly don't want to be bored to death.

Hibs have beeen poor for so long now and we have an entire generation of fans who have become accustomed to the poor fare on offer and are willing to grasp a win (any win) regardless of the circumstances it was achieved.

We deserve better ------------ much better.

:agree: to both, and good posts from Pretty Boy and Blackpool also IMHO.

Aldo
23-10-2013, 12:38 PM
If and when PF does leave I believe the club will be in a far better state than when he took it over (wouldn't be hard) we need a manager that is going to come into the club and add one or 2 quality players that will enhance the team and for me the most important part - get us playing football again with a bit of tempo and pass in the deck.

I'm all for winning (and sometimes winning ugly) but our football has been really ugly since the tail end of season 2007. Instead of kicking on we've stumbled from one disaster to another when it comes to managers. Changing team after team season in season out.

Continuity is the key and managers that have the same ethos and ethics when it comes to playing and coaching should be looked at and for me this is what we should aim for when looking for managers.

Swansea being the prime example for me anyway.

I like other on here are happy to see the team win but we really really need to okay football how it should be played ... On the deck, high tempo and play teams off the park.

This can be done.

We have guys that can play a bit and we should be looking to build a team around them.

Heff being the prime example... Guy showed his quality and his work ethics on Sat but he doesn't want a sair neck looking up to the hoofball every week. Get it to feet.

We also still lack width and I'm really hoping that young Harris comes back fresh and raring to go because I really do think we have missed his nature ability to go past a player with pace.

I am not happy with the way we play our football at the moment (although happy with the ugly against Smellic) and for me that stops folk from going.

Entertaining teams will bring in the crowds.

Brightside
23-10-2013, 12:52 PM
It's appeared the last few weeks due to results improving and people still wanting something to dislike Fenlon for.

"Luke, I am your Father" :rolleyes:

Joe Baker II
23-10-2013, 01:38 PM
The Dnipro game. We actually were very poor at home. We shut up shop when they were there for the taking. We got a skelping away from home. It was with a pretty settled team at an okay time of the season. It wasn't 7-0 at home but there were less excuses for him.

Dnipro cannot in any way be compared to the Malmo embarrassment.

We were cautious at home but main aim in a home game first leg is not to lose a goal and we did that, hence giving us a decent chance in 2nd leg.

The 5-1 scoreline in the 2nd game was a travesty, we created chances and had a good goal disallowed (may even have been another disallowed goal too?). The goal that put Dnipro 2-1 up came from a very dubious free kick and they were beneficiaries of a soft penalty which sealed the win later. There was no equivalent bad luck at the Malmo game which is why as you say many have no intention of giving Fenlon the slightest leeway (I admit Fenlon general attitude and demeanour compared to Mowbray do not exactly endear him to fans though one could argue this should not matter fact is it does).

Dashing Bob S
23-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Can't believe some of the posts on this thread.

Yes, the team was boring, substantial wins at Ibrox and Parkhead where he played the opposition off the park - nah, best get another manager in.

About the only thing Mowbray did wrong was to sign, and persist with, butterfingered clowns in the goalkeeping position.

LancsHibs
26-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I know the consensus of opinion is that PF is with us until the end of the season and I understand the reasons why, but sometimes when an opportunity becomes available you have to take it!
There is an opportunity now, get TM in now before he joins another club!
Can't believe its 7 years since he left!!!
Good idea or should we not look to the past?

Biggie
26-10-2013, 11:29 PM
I think if hearts pap us out the cup, fenlon will be told enough is enough......the fact Mowbray is available might make it easier for hibs to make the decision as well.....

HoboHarry
26-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Absolutely no sense in that whatsoever. He did well with us after inheriting an extremely talented group of youngsters and left us for the first decent opportunity he got down south. How in the world anyone can think it would be a great idea now is beyond me.

chrisski33
26-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Yawn! It aint going to happen! He was great at the time but doubt he will be 2nd time round.

Sir David Gray
26-10-2013, 11:33 PM
I don't believe Tony Mowbray will be back at Easter Road as Hibs manager.

Golden Bear
26-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Dream on!

LancsHibs
26-10-2013, 11:35 PM

Neither do it, but would you take it if offered?

Emerald
26-10-2013, 11:36 PM
I think if hearts pap us out the cup, fenlon will be told enough is enough......the fact Mowbray is available might make it easier for hibs to make the decision as well.....

I would be excited just knowing it wasn't a Fenlon team I was watching. As for Mowbray, kind of agree he got lucky but anything replacing this abject pish would be an improvement.

Jones28
26-10-2013, 11:41 PM
No. Won't happen and don't want it to happen.

Mowbray was lucky with us that he had so much young talent to work with. We took a fair few tankings under him as well. Is Williamson back from Africa? Lets get him in

Sir David Gray
27-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Neither do it, but would you take it if offered?

I wouldn't sack Fenlon so it's a no from me.

Emerald
27-10-2013, 12:03 AM

What do see in Fenlon that would make you want to stick with him? I would be interested to know for the sake of a balanced debate.

Golden Bear
27-10-2013, 12:03 AM

One of these days Andy you'll see the light!

Sir David Gray
27-10-2013, 12:17 AM
What do see in Fenlon that would make you want to stick with him? I would be interested to know for the sake of a balanced debate.

I think he has finally assembled a team that, in the main, has the potential to stick together now for the next 2-3 years. That is the first time that we've been able to say that for a few years, given the number of loan players we've had on our books and also the large number of players we've had on short term deals. It gives me hope that we might just have a period of stability at the club for a change, which I think we are needing.

If we get a new man in, we're going to have another period of transition where he'll want to assess the squad for a couple of months and then get rid of the players he doesn't want and then bring in his own players. That will then signal another period of a number of months where we will need to give him time to get things sorted. I just don't think that's what we need right now.

I think the team that has been assembled by Fenlon is also a talented one. I accept that performances aren't reflecting that a lot of the time, particularly at home, but I look at the kind of players we have and I am quite hopeful that we are actually heading in the right direction. I still think we are short in a few areas as well. I would sign another striker, a proper right back and a wide midfielder. If we can get that done in January then I will be very hopeful that we can challenge at the top end of the league this season.

ScottB
27-10-2013, 12:27 AM
What's Mowbray done since he left us?

Was his Boro side an example of beautiful, passing football?

He would come in, have a squad not at all capable of playing like his previous Hibs side and would immediately be under pressure from those in the support who see him as some sort of Green Messiah that's mere presence will bring back free flowing passing football.

He was a decent coach who had a side that was naturally good going forward, frail at the back and he never did anything to fix that, never mind his continued ongoing support for the worst goalkeeper we have probably ever had.

JMac
27-10-2013, 01:36 AM
He would never come back here

Barney McGrew
27-10-2013, 01:43 AM
Mowbray thought Zibi was a goalkeeper and Konte was a striker.

Case closed.

bingo70
27-10-2013, 05:55 AM

Case closed.

Not quite as open/shut a case as that though is it?

He had his faults but he'd improve on the pish we're watching just now, I'm sure of that.

FWIW though I think there's no chance of him coming back.

Thecat23
27-10-2013, 06:11 AM
I think he has finally assembled a team that, in the main, has the potential to stick together now for the next 2-3 years. That is the first time that we've been able to say that for a few years, given the number of loan players we've had on our books and also the large number of players we've had on short term deals. It gives me hope that we might just have a period of stability at the club for a change, which I think we are needing.

If we get a new man in, we're going to have another period of transition where he'll want to assess the squad for a couple of months and then get rid of the players he doesn't want and then bring in his own players. That will then signal another period of a number of months where we will need to give him time to get things sorted. I just don't think that's what we need right now.

I think the team that has been assembled by Fenlon is also a talented one. I accept that performances aren't reflecting that a lot of the time, particularly at home, but I look at the kind of players we have and I am quite hopeful that we are actually heading in the right direction. I still think we are short in a few areas as well. I would sign another striker, a proper right back and a wide midfielder. If we can get that done in January then I will be very hopeful that we can challenge at the top end of the league this season.

He has improved the squad but he certainly can't manage them properly. Now is the perfect time to make a change and get the best out of these players by not restricting them.

He isn't getting a new deal and it won't be that much to pay him off. Sorry but for me he's finished it's only a matter of time till he leaves.

Thecat23
27-10-2013, 06:13 AM
I'd take Mark Venus before Mowbray. He was the real brains in training. Mowbray was a very good man manager though.

lucky
27-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Not for me, better options available. McLeish, O'Neill ( Michael) Shieldsu, Calderwood. Just to name a few. But hibs could try something different and appoint a woman

J-C
27-10-2013, 06:35 AM
Was summed up perfectly by radio pundit Alvin Martin, he said for a top class defender, Mowbray hasn't a clue about setting up a defence, that was his time at Hibs, great to watch but had to score bucket loads of goals to win matches. Very lucky with the players he had first time round, don't think he can work hls magic with this lot, IIRC someone posted a while ago that Mark Venus was the main guy in that partnership.

Pretty Boy
27-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Absolutely no sense in that whatsoever. He did well with us after inheriting an extremely talented group of youngsters and left us for the first decent opportunity he got down south. How in the world anyone can think it would be a great idea now is beyond me.

Absolute nonsense. Mowbray turned down Ipswich to stay at Hibs about 9 months before he left.

The West Brom job was a great opportunity at the time and anyone who turned it down would have been mental.

Iain G
27-10-2013, 07:06 AM

Case closed.

You forgot Simon Brown too ;-)

Gustavo Fring
27-10-2013, 07:17 AM
id rather we gave ian murray a shout at the end of the season

Viva_Palmeiras
27-10-2013, 07:17 AM
For a manager that has publicly stated when opportunity calls answer at the first ring he'd be off when a better opportunity arises.

Don't think he'd come. Not sure he'd make the impact folks would expect and if that arose certain punters would be spouting their bile at him come January.

Scapegoat material and quite possibly damaged goods.

That said if we can accept KT and IM (not sure Billy Brown was) then perhaps there's a chance as the only dude RP didn't bullet

Pretty Boy
27-10-2013, 07:24 AM
We need to move on from Mowbray imo.

I liked the guy and contrary to the revisionism in here he done a pretty good job at Hibs.

However we don't need another easy option or scapegoat in the job. I would like to see a foreign coach who might bring something different to the table.

bingo70
27-10-2013, 07:27 AM
For a manager that has publicly stated when opportunity calls answer at the first ring he'd be off when a better opportunity arises.

Don't think he'd come. Not sure he'd make the impact folks would expect and if that arose certain punters would be spouting their bile at him come January.

Scapegoat material and quite possibly damaged goods.

That said if we can accept KT and IM (not sure Billy Brown was) then perhaps there's a chance as the only dude RP didn't bullet

Getting a manager that will eventually leave for bigger things is what we should be striving for.

Of course we'd love to get the perfect manager and keep him forever but that's not how the real world works.

Ship Hibs
27-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Would have him back in a heartbeat. Every game of his last season I'd wake up proper excited I was going to watch the Hibs and traveled home and away to see them, these days I'm looking for excuses not to go. Don't think he'd come back but would be delighted if he did.

oldbutdim
27-10-2013, 08:23 AM
His stupid antics when he returned with the lesser greens should be enough to disqualify him from any employment at ER.
Joining in a huddle on the pitch, claiming McCheaty was assaulted when sent off for diving but refusing to watch a tv replay of the incident......

The man proved himself to be a total clown that day.

Dunno what it is about the Smellies managers....... Eejits to a man.

JimBHibees
27-10-2013, 09:32 AM
We need to move on from Mowbray imo.

I liked the guy and contrary to the revisionism in here he done a pretty good job at Hibs.

However we don't need another easy option or scapegoat in the job. I would like to see a foreign coach who might bring something different to the table.

Agree to an extent however personally would take the quality of a Mowbray team over the snail pace football we play. Mowbray whatever anyone says did an excellent job at Hibs.

ScottB
27-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Agree to an extent however personally would take the quality of a Mowbray team over the snail pace football we play. Mowbray whatever anyone says did an excellent job at Hibs.

'A Mowbray team' what's that? The one he had here he had a quality and type of player in abundance that we likely won't see again. Since he left us he's been drummed out of everywhere.

If we went to hire a manager with his record at Boro that wasn't 'St Tony' people would be screaming and protesting at it. Too much green tinted spectacles going on.

He underachieved with us, he underachieved at West Brom, he underachieved at Celtic and he was awful at Boro. Let's move on and go for a hungry, exciting young manager, not someone on a downward trajectory.

blackpoolhibs
27-10-2013, 09:44 AM
'A Mowbray team' what's that? The one he had here he had a quality and type of player in abundance that we likely won't see again. Since he left us he's been drummed out of everywhere.

If we went to hire a manager with his record at Boro that wasn't 'St Tony' people would be screaming and protesting at it. Too much green tinted spectacles going on.

He underachieved with us, he underachieved at West Brom, he underachieved at Celtic and he was awful at Boro. Let's move on and go for a hungry, exciting young manager, not someone on a downward trajectory.

Some clubs have managers that just fit, perhaps Mowbray's team is Hibs? I agree he's hardly set the world on fire since leaving, but he did sign some fantastic players for us, with little money.

If it was a straight choice i'd take him every time, in fact i'd take Bobby Williamson over Fenlon too.

Emerald
27-10-2013, 09:47 AM

I accept some of your points but for me it seems no matter who he has playing for him, the football is the same. If he is trying to get a team to play decent football he has had ample time and brought many players in but the football is still the same. We keep thinking we are getting there when we have a decent performance but all too often we are back watching the same rubbish over and over again. There is no way we can tell if things will suddenly click into place in the next few months and we start playing the football we all want to see. But based on what has gone on for two years now I think it all points to the same outcome, dull, depressing, slow and boring football. That is his thing.

JimBHibees
27-10-2013, 09:50 AM

One where he brought on and developed massively young players who maybe wouldnt have developed as well under other managers. He also bought brilliantly such as Murphy, Shiels, Boozy and Ivan although some other buys were poor. Whats the style of a Mowbray team? One that can go to Parkhead and totally outplay a team put together for 20 times what Hibs were. His complete restyling of Hibs over one pre-season was a remarkable transformation from the style of Bobby W. Not saying I would necessarily want him back however if the choice is PF or Mowbray, dear oh dear only one choice.

Stantons Angel
27-10-2013, 09:53 AM

It was only a matter of time before someone came on and suggested this move as the answer to all our problems!

I agree with the above poster, Tony inherited the "Golden Generation" brought through the ranks by Alister Stevenson's youth academy to show the flair and tenacity that all Hibs supporters want to see.

We all have some brilliant memories of the way they played their football, he got the best out of them as individuals and made them a team to be proud of.

He left us for the team of his heart and didnt do much there, now he has gracefully thrown in the towel because he cant do any more with the squad he had there.

How would he cope with the squad we have here? He himself would toil! Only last week we were praising Fenlon for the way he put out the team to face Celtic and the way he had them playing.

I agree its a managers job to get the best out of his players but sometimes the same players that shone last wee against Celtic thought all they have to do is turn up for the Aberdeen game.

Aberdeen knew we had played well last week and where ready for us, the gave us no time at all on the ball, no time to think, no time to pass. They played the way we did against Celtic..........

Too many of them out there were posted missing again.... the manager can only do his best but the players themselves must shoulder some of the blame for their displays.

Young Zoubir certainly has talent but he plays as if he is in a boys team and tries to take them all on by himself instead of looking up and passing to a Hibs player. He was put into great positions with the ball at his feet and seemed frightened to run at them with it. He should have been the one subbed.

No i dont think Tony Mowbary or any previous manager would be able to do any better in Scottish Football the way it is. Lets just keep our memories of him and his team fresh in our minds and let Pat Fenlon get on with his job. Such negativity doesnt help him or the team.

On Wednesday we get a chance to get into the Semis of a cup against our greatest rivals, Tony isnt there so lets get behind our manager and cheer them on to victory on Wednesday!!!

Ray_
27-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Some clubs have managers that just fit, perhaps Mowbray's team is Hibs? I agree he's hardly set the world on fire since leaving, but he did sign some fantastic players for us, with little money.

If it was a straight choice i'd take him every time, in fact i'd take Bobby Williamson over Fenlon too.

Don't let facts spoil a good witch hunt :greengrin

Eyrie
27-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Wasn't John Park in charge of our scouting when Mowbray was the manager?

Ray_
27-10-2013, 10:22 AM
It was only a matter of time before someone came on and suggested this move as the answer to all our problems!

I agree with the above poster, Tony inherited the "Golden Generation" brought through the ranks by Alister Stevenson's youth academy to show the flair and tenacity that all Hibs supporters want to see.

We all have some brilliant memories of the way they played their football, he got the best out of them as individuals and made them a team to be proud of.

He left us for the team of his heart and didnt do much there, now he has gracefully thrown in the towel because he cant do any more with the squad he had there.

How would he cope with the squad we have here? He himself would toil! Only last week we were praising Fenlon for the way he put out the team to face Celtic and the way he had them playing.

I agree its a managers job to get the best out of his players but sometimes the same players that shone last wee against Celtic thought all they have to do is turn up for the Aberdeen game.

Aberdeen knew we had played well last week and where ready for us, the gave us no time at all on the ball, no time to think, no time to pass. They played the way we did against Celtic..........

Too many of them out there were posted missing again.... the manager can only do his best but the players themselves must shoulder some of the blame for their displays.

Young Zoubir certainly has talent but he plays as if he is in a boys team and tries to take them all on by himself instead of looking up and passing to a Hibs player. He was put into great positions with the ball at his feet and seemed frightened to run at them with it. He should have been the one subbed.

No i dont think Tony Mowbary or any previous manager would be able to do any better in Scottish Football the way it is. Lets just keep our memories of him and his team fresh in our minds and let Pat Fenlon get on with his job. Such negativity doesnt help him or the team.

On Wednesday we get a chance to get into the Semis of a cup against our greatest rivals, Tony isnt there so lets get behind our manager and cheer them on to victory on Wednesday!!!

When TM took over things weren't as rosy as being painted on here. We had recently been humbled [for the umpteenth time], by Livingston in the cup final and we lost some of our better players that close season. He brought in some duffers, but hey, he was never going to be perfect, he also supplemented a seriously weakened squad by bringing in, some unknown and outstanding talent.

Managers before and after him had problems with keepers & Hibs hadn't managed to keep two of the better ones in Colgan and Andersson. We also had historic problems at center back, which also took time to resolve, but again there was the restrictive budget, while the cheats were prospering with Romanov's bank's clients cash.

Rather than just desert Hibs, TM stated publicly that Hibs had to invest in two quality players to take the next step, we didn't and he left sometime after that. I personally want to thank him for the period of time he was with us, when he gave us a team that was worth watching.

jdships
27-10-2013, 10:24 AM

Agree and also genuinely hope not !!:flag:

AngusHibby
27-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Not for me, better options available. McLeish, O'Neill ( Michael) Shieldsu, Calderwood. Just to name a few. But hibs could try something different and appoint a woman

What woman manager?

ScottB
27-10-2013, 10:56 AM
One where he brought on and developed massively young players who maybe wouldnt have developed as well under other managers. He also bought brilliantly such as Murphy, Shiels, Boozy and Ivan although some other buys were poor. Whats the style of a Mowbray team? One that can go to Parkhead and totally outplay a team put together for 20 times what Hibs were. His complete restyling of Hibs over one pre-season was a remarkable transformation from the style of Bobby W. Not saying I would necessarily want him back however if the choice is PF or Mowbray, dear oh dear only one choice.

Fat Bob blooded a lot of them, and it was the work of Park and others that created them, plus Venus alongside.

He brought in some good buys, he also signed and persisted with some of the worst players we have ever had. For every glorious Parkhead performance there was half a dozen embarrassing being kicked off the park moments by the falkirks of the world.

For me, this is no different than the posts by folk wanting Riordan back; happily day dreaming about what things were like 10 years ago, while ignoring the reality of everything that's happened since. Tony has struggled big time, his teams elsewhere, built with budgets ten times or more than we'd offer him have been murder. What evidence is there to suggest he'd come here and make us better? Did he make Boro or Celtic better? Or was he drummed out by fans wanting his head after terrible results?

He's built his entire career upon turning up at Hibs at exactly the right moment, he hasn't delivered anywhere else and with the current squad and budget we have he won't deliver here again. Worse still with everyone's green tinted memories he'd be getting abuse from the stands after the first long ball up the pitch.

Tyler Durden
27-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Fat Bob blooded a lot of them, and it was the work of Park and others that created them, plus Venus alongside.

He brought in some good buys, he also signed and persisted with some of the worst players we have ever had. For every glorious Parkhead performance there was half a dozen embarrassing being kicked off the park moments by the falkirks of the world.

For me, this is no different than the posts by folk wanting Riordan back; happily day dreaming about what things were like 10 years ago, while ignoring the reality of everything that's happened since. Tony has struggled big time, his teams elsewhere, built with budgets ten times or more than we'd offer him have been murder. What evidence is there to suggest he'd come here and make us better? Did he make Boro or Celtic better? Or was he drummed out by fans wanting his head after terrible results?

He's built his entire career upon turning up at Hibs at exactly the right moment, he hasn't delivered anywhere else and with the current squad and budget we have he won't deliver here again. Worse still with everyone's green tinted memories he'd be getting abuse from the stands after the first long ball up the pitch.

How well was Garry O'Connor doing before Mowbray took over? Whittaker didn't even have a position nailed down. Williamson was ready to trade him and Riordan for Bobby Mann FFS.

Mowbray was in charge of Park and Venus don't forget. He was also a success at WBA or he wouldn't have had the Celtic job. West Brom fans were gutted that he left, despite their relegation (he got them promoted remember).

If we had 6 crap games for every 1 good win how did we manage to finish 3rd then 4th in his only 2 seasons?

I don't disagree that it's possibly foolish to consider a return for Mowbray now but to undermine his achievements in his tenure is nonsense IMO.

JimBHibees
27-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Fat Bob also wanted to swap Deek and Whitty for Bobby Mann. He IMO played the young players out of necessity not some grand development plan. You are right Mowbray's record since Hibs hasnt been great however at the moment I would take him due to the fact you would know that the team were being coached to at least produce decent fast moving passing football.

I also think you are undermining his records at the other clubs. He did ok at West Brom and won the Championship only to get relegated out of the Premiership. He was poor at Celtic however still had a 50% win record when he left. He also had Boro 7th the year before last and would no doubt be able to do a job at a lower level such as Hibs.

JimBHibees
27-10-2013, 11:16 AM
How well was Garry O'Connor doing before Mowbray took over? Whittaker didn't even have a position nailed down. Williamson was ready to trade him and Riordan for Bobby Mann FFS.

Mowbray was in charge of Park and Venus don't forget. He was also a success at WBA or he wouldn't have had the Celtic job. West Brom fans were gutted that he left, despite their relegation (he got them promoted remember).

If we had 6 crap games for every 1 good win how did we manage to finish 3rd then 4th in his only 2 seasons?

I don't disagree that it's possibly foolish to consider a return for Mowbray now but to undermine his achievements in his tenure is nonsense IMO.

Completely agree.

blackpoolhibs
27-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Mowbrays time at Hibs compared to Fenlons time, now let me think about which one was better?

Mowbray was not perfect, he made mistakes all managers do. At least 99% of us went along thinking we'd be entertained, he also had us entertained at the right end of the league.

He did a good job overall in his time at Easter Road, and it was when The gimps and Sevco were spending way beyond their means.

Craig_in_Prague
27-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Mowbrays time at Hibs compared to Fenlons time, now let me think about which one was better?

Mowbray was not perfect, he made mistakes all managers do. At least 99% of us went along thinking we'd be entertained, he also had us entertained at the right end of the league.

He did a good job overall in his time at Easter Road, and it was when The gimps and Sevco were spending way beyond their means.

Yep, in addition the 2006 SC could have been ours, yet it was a final contested by 2 cheats.
Funny some say we are "harder" to beat now, I always think its harder for teams to beat you if you are able to score lots of goals.

JimBHibees
27-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Yep, in addition the 2006 SC could have been ours, yet it was a final contested by 2 cheats.
Funny some say we are "harder" to beat now, I always think its harder for teams to beat you if you are able to score lots of goals.

All that means is we never try and attack. :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
27-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Exactly. I wonder who some people think is good enough for Hibs, if Mowbray, with his track record and entertainment his team served up, is to be deemed a failure.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-10-2013, 12:17 PM

Manx to think Tony was pretty slated for saying well win more than we lose...

Pretty Boy
27-10-2013, 12:20 PM

It seems slagging Tony Mowbray is the new 'in thing'.

He was just a lucky, opportunistic traitor who dared to occasionally lose a game.

ScottB
27-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Exactly. I wonder who some people think is good enough for Hibs, if Mowbray, with his track record and entertainment his team served up, is to be deemed a failure.

I think failure is harsh, but I would argue he should have achieved more with the squad he had.

Had he managed to sign a vaguely competent keeper and organise a defence, we might have gotten more than a 3rd place. The same flaws have been evident at his other clubs, and when he's not had as good a squad to work with, he seems to struggle.

The Mowbray era was outstanding, but it was a one off, where everything came into alignment for everyone involved. We need to move forward as a club, we've had threads wanting McLeish back, wanting Mowbray back and now yet another ludicrous bring back Deek thread.

The answer is to follow the process that brought Mowbray in, not bring Mowbray himself back in; a hungry, talented, positive coach. Hopefully one that understands how to be hard to beat as well as pass the ball about.

Eyrie
27-10-2013, 12:28 PM
We did well under Mowbray, but he came into a favourable situation with the young talent coming through. Could he do as good a job for us again under different circumstances? My own feeling is that's unlikely and Mowbray's return is likely to only result in souring our memories of his first spell when he is unable to replicate that.

LancsHibs
27-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Mowbray might not be your 1st choice if Pat was to depart and it's entirely hypothetical but if TM was offered now as a straight free swap for PF you would have to be extremely bitter or crazy not to take the deal on offer.

Keith_M
27-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Not gonna happen.

Ray_
27-10-2013, 05:24 PM
I think failure is harsh, but I would argue he should have achieved more with the squad he had.Had he managed to sign a vaguely competent keeper and organise a defence, we might have gotten more than a 3rd place. The same flaws have been evident at his other clubs, and when he's not had as good a squad to work with, he seems to struggle.

The Mowbray era was outstanding, but it was a one off, where everything came into alignment for everyone involved. We need to move forward as a club, we've had threads wanting McLeish back, wanting Mowbray back and now yet another ludicrous bring back Deek thread.

The answer is to follow the process that brought Mowbray in, not bring Mowbray himself back in; a hungry, talented, positive coach. Hopefully one that understands how to be hard to beat as well as pass the ball about.

You really should get real. The squad he had, had to compete with three teams that seriously outspent Hibs on wages and transfer fees many times over. The squad was also full of young players, where you usually find inconsistancy and it was also seriously depleted even from the threadbare team that played the season before under Williamson. Mowbray was given very little money to find replacements for the departed players and still produced a team that was exciting and considering the circumstances, very successful. Like I mentioned earlier, he did want to improve things, but got knocked back by the board.

J-C
28-10-2013, 06:54 AM
I think failure is harsh, but I would argue he should have achieved more with the squad he had.

Had he managed to sign a vaguely competent keeper and organise a defence, we might have gotten more than a 3rd place. The same flaws have been evident at his other clubs, and when he's not had as good a squad to work with, he seems to struggle.

For a top defender in his day, this was something he hasn't achieved with any of his clubs, remembering his time here, you always thought we needed to score a good few goals cause we'd always let a few in.

Zazu62
30-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Fenlon out

Mowbray in

Torto7062
30-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Fenlon out

Mowbray in

not sure we could afford him now

Jones28
30-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Nah

theScientist
30-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Club should make a fishy statement now if we need to endure Fenlon for the rest of the season. Mogga in at the end of the season, unless he is prepared to go unpaid til the end of the season - come on tache make it happen!!!:aok:

shetlandhibee
30-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Fenlon out

Mowbray in

yes please!

The Voice Of Reason
30-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Fenlon out

Anybody In

nic81
30-10-2013, 11:40 PM
yes please!

Wasnt at ER for nothing:wink::thumbsup:

hibee_nation
30-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Club should make a fishy statement now if we need to endure Fenlon for the rest of the season. Mogga in at the end of the season, unless he is prepared to go unpaid til the end of the season - come on tache make it happen!!!:aok:

I predict you will be gone before Fenlon.

LTYF

Saorsa
31-10-2013, 12:48 AM
just Fenlon out would be a start

HKhibby
31-10-2013, 01:22 AM

Totally agree Fenlon out!...useless and clueless!, never liked the guy and said from the beginning that he will be no good with Hibs and wrong appointment completely for different reasons, but at the time was shouted down as usual by some and told give the guy a chance...well the chances in my estimation are long over...get rid of him!!...as for Mowbray in?...yes he did good things at Hibs and the style of play was good over all with him, but got a feeling bringing someone back for second time does not always work out, and more to the point he would just possibly use Hibs as a shop window again to move onto something bigger and be off to someone in the Championship halfway through a season?

LancsHibs
31-10-2013, 07:33 AM

Do you still believe this???? You are defending the indefensible:confused:

Pretty Boy
31-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Fenlon out

Mowbray in

Yes please.

If it goes wrong then so be it, nothing can be worse than this.

Bob Box Fish
01-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Cant make my mind up on Mowbray returning.

When he came in last time he had whittaker, Fletcher, brown, riordan, o conner and Thomson.

If he did come back he would still have handling, Caldwell, stanton, forster, Mullen, Harris etc to try and crack on with. At the start of this season I was hopeful that fenlon would have tried to build a team for the future but it never happened.

Springbank
01-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Give tm the job as a sinecure, and say welcome home