PDA

View Full Version : 2nd place is on!

LancsHibs
21-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Why not us? The race for second is wide open, Inverness' early season bubble has burst and we are steadily improving. There is nobody who are stand outs to claim 2nd spot, realistic candidates are us, Inverness, Motherwell, Aberdeen & Dundee United. If we can keep improving and get a run together can't see any reason why not. Next weeks game v the sheep is a huge test of our credentials. Come on the Hibees:flag:

ronaldo7
21-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Why not us? The race for second is wide open, Inverness' early season bubble has burst and we are steadily improving. There is nobody who are stand outs to claim 2nd spot, realistic candidates are us, Inverness, Motherwell, Aberdeen & Dundee United. If we can keep improving and get a run together can't see any reason why not. Next weeks game v the sheep is a huge test of our credentials. Come on the Hibees:flag:

:agree:

Keith_M
21-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Why not first place? They're only 8 points ahead of us :wink:

Hibercelona
21-10-2013, 11:29 AM
What makes you so sure that their bubbles burst? They were always going to lose a game eventually. Celtic will lose games as well this season.

Waxy
21-10-2013, 11:33 AM
I agree. Great squad of players.
They are getting stuck in now that we've played our way out of our early season nerves.
Lets just see how it goes now that we fear no one.

Elephant Stone
21-10-2013, 11:48 AM
What makes you so sure that their bubbles burst? They were always going to lose a game eventually. Celtic will lose games as well this season.

They've lost 2 in a row, St Johnstone beat them 4-0. Maybe not bubble-bursting form but not just 'losing a game' either.

Andy74
21-10-2013, 11:53 AM

Nice of us to be so understanding for them.

I'm sure we would be brushing off a 4-0 loss to St Johnstone and a home loss to Partick in the same manner.

The Modfather
21-10-2013, 11:58 AM

I'm sure we would be brushing off a 4-0 loss to St Johnstone and a home loss to Partick in the same manner.

If we had been punching above our weight consistantly for a few seasons while also playing a very attractive style of football I'm sure we would. In fact, we did so under mowbray.

SMAXXA
21-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Can you imagine the meltdown? Would be scary stuff :wink:, would still be Fenlon out even if still in 2nd like ICT from some.

carnoustiehibee
21-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Butcher out Fenlon in they cry from inversnecky

JJP
21-10-2013, 12:01 PM

:not worth

hibby rae
21-10-2013, 12:11 PM

We were kind enough to give them 3 points as well otherwise they would have lost their last 4 games!

HibbySpurs
21-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Agree, if we can improve steadily and put a run together then no reason why we cant be at the right end of the table come May. I just hope that PF is starting to get it right. Make no mistake though at times we have been lucky recently.

Oh, BTW, you missed Hearts off your candidates list :faf:

PeterboroHibee
21-10-2013, 12:17 PM
2nd place is achievable for any team currently sitting from about 2nd to 9th. Celtic will win the league, Hearts are as good as relegated, and I think Killie and St Mirren will be battling with each other to avoid that 11th spot, but I dont think there is too much between the rest. In another 4 or 5 games we should have a better idea!

PatHead
21-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Got a feeling that Ross County will struggle this season as well. It is really about what we do rather than what others do though. Worrying we are on this run over 9 games but are not in 2nd or 3rd place. We simply have to start winning at home.

SMAXXA
21-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Got a feeling that Ross County will struggle this season as well. It is really about what we do rather than what others do though. Worrying we are on this run over 9 games but are not in 2nd or 3rd place. We simply have to start winning at home.

I think they will struggle also.

mcfly
21-10-2013, 12:48 PM

I agree but we must start scoring more goals. Only hearts have scored less than us and unless we start scoring more often we won't be 2nd IMO

GreenPJ
21-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Without applying a more attack minded approach we will never finish second. We don't score or create enough to hope for anything better than top 6.

I remember the days when we fancied our chances of beating Celtic at home as opposed to celebrating a draw against them and having 4 shots on target. :bitchy:

Craig_in_Prague
21-10-2013, 01:17 PM
If we had been punching above our weight consistantly for a few seasons while also playing a very attractive style of football I'm sure we would. In fact, we did so under mowbray.

spot on

LancsHibs
21-10-2013, 01:29 PM
2nd place is achievable for any team currently sitting from about 2nd to 9th. Celtic will win the league, Hearts are as good as relegated, and I think Killie and St Mirren will be battling with each other to avoid that 11th spot, but I dont think there is too much between the rest. In another 4 or 5 games we should have a better idea!

I think there is still a seat on the bus for the 30th if you fancy it!:wink:

TheFamous1875
21-10-2013, 02:27 PM
I think a main ingredient for success for Hibs is consistency. If we can consistently work hard for each other like we did on Saturday, not just in the 'big' games but in all the games, and battle and rough up our opponents (not to the level Neil Lennon somehow hallucinated) we are more than capable of doing it.

No team in this league is capable of applying anywhere near the amount of attacking pressure Celtic are,which means when playing against everyone else the pressure is minimised and it gives us a chance to play some football, like we did on Saturday for brief periods. My point is, if we can play football fleetingly against Celtic, then we can do it copiously against everyone else.

Keep the back tight, and the forward should be able to flourish knowing they can rely on the guys behind them. It's all hard work and determination, team work, playing for each other and the crest. That's all it was against Celtic, we should treat every team the same and go for their throats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir David Gray
21-10-2013, 07:04 PM

They've lost 3 out of their last 4 league games.

Col2
21-10-2013, 08:23 PM
As mentioned already we don't create enough chance and therefore score enough goals.

I honestly think the sheep have the best squad outside Celtic, Motherwell have the experience of being up there before and still have a decent team and ICT are still a very good team with a goal machine upfront. Dundee United have good attacking/wide options and can go on a run.

So anything between 2nd and 6th for me and realistically best case 4th behind sheep and mothers.