PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh football quality - 8 years ago

Col2
20-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Was killing some time on net and came across the game below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4381670.stm

I remember the atmosphere and the banter with the yams but look at the quality of players in both teams... You could make a case for both teams being capable of winning the 13/14 SPFL championship? That midfield for us was just sublime.

Quality has deteriorated big time over the years.

jacomo
20-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Was killing some time on net and came across the game below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4381670.stm

I remember the atmosphere and the banter with the yams but look at the quality of players in both teams... You could make a case for both teams being capable of winning the 13/14 SPFL championship? That midfield for us was just sublime.

Quality has deteriorated big time over the years.

:agree: no doubt about it.

KeithTheHibby
20-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Our team was built on youth and free transfers, that mob spent a fortune buying decent players. I wonder what happened 8 years down the line....?

Hibercelona
20-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Our team was built on youth and free transfers, that mob spent a fortune buying decent players. I wonder what happened 8 years down the line....?

My prediction would be that both teams turn to complete Scheiße. All because one team runs out of money while the other team that does actually have money, doesn't know how to use it effectively enough to improve performances on the pitch.

jgl07
21-10-2013, 01:37 AM
Neither team were sustainable from a financial point of view.

Hearts couldn't afford the players they signed. They have gone into administration trying to maintain a much weaker team than that of 2005-6.

Hibs could not afford to keep the team they assembled from the Youth Team and Free Transfers. Either the players would be sold (Thomson, Brown, O'Connor, Whittaker, Fletcher, Murphy) or they would have run down their contracts and walked for nothing or next to nothing (Caldwell, Riordan).

Hibs managed to complete the development of Easter Road and East Mains with the proceeds of transfers. Chopping and changing managers has prevented Hibs from benefiting from the legacy of their golden generation.

Phil D. Rolls
21-10-2013, 07:19 AM
My prediction would be that both teams turn to complete Scheiße. All because one team runs out of money while the other team that does actually have money, doesn't know how to use it effectively enough to improve performances on the pitch.

:yawn2:

Fans of both teams continued to repeat the same mantras, in the hope that they were actually true. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

hibby rae
21-10-2013, 07:39 AM

Now now remember we splashed the cash and spent 5 grand on Ivan. :)

hibby rae
21-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Neither team were sustainable from a financial point of view.

Hearts couldn't afford the players they signed. They have gone into administration trying to maintain a much weaker team than that of 2005-6.

Hibs could not afford to keep the team they assembled from the Youth Team and Free Transfers. Either the players would be sold (Thomson, Brown, O'Connor, Whittaker, Fletcher, Murphy) or they would have run down their contracts and walked for nothing or next to nothing (Caldwell, Riordan).

Hibs managed to complete the development of Easter Road and East Mains with the proceeds of transfers. Chopping and changing managers has prevented Hibs from benefiting from the legacy of their golden generation.

Agree, at that time we also did have a high debt that needed bringing down. Rod done all right there and I don't think there's many teams that spent their windfalls so wisely. What happened to the £9,000,000 they got for Gordon?

1two
21-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Malkowski

I still shiver when I read his name

1two
21-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Also, David murphy is the best left back I've seen in green and white in my 23 years watching Hibs.