PDA

View Full Version : Flares/Smokebomb incident at Villa Park

Carheenlea
20-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Been a bit of debate on here arguing about the safety issues regarding the use of smokebombs and such like at the football. I`ve been on the side of those arguing it is a bit of harmless fun, but reading about a young lad requiring hospital treatment because of one at a previous Villa game is not good at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24603580

Chuck Rhoades
20-10-2013, 06:35 PM
BBC showing it's class again. The linesman was hit with a smokebomb, not a flare.

JimBHibees
20-10-2013, 06:47 PM
BBC showing it's class again. The linesman was hit with a smokebomb, not a flare.

Irrespective complete idiocy to throw these things or indeed take them into games. Only a matter of time before a fatality.

PatHead
20-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Don't know the difference myself but don't think they add anything to the atmosphere. Ban them all I say.

tamig
20-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Don't know the difference myself but don't think they add anything to the atmosphere. Ban them all I say.
Exactly. Continental wannabes.

marinello59
20-10-2013, 06:58 PM

That's OK then. Everybody should accept getting one of them thrown at them at work.

Cabbage East
20-10-2013, 07:06 PM
That's OK then. Everybody should accept getting one of them thrown at them at work.

Aye, that's exactly what he said.

Andy74
20-10-2013, 07:07 PM
I like them.

Chuck Rhoades
20-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Agreed about the idiot launching it at the linesman, but saying there'll be a fatality is OTT.

JimBHibees
20-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Agreed about the idiot launching it at the linesman, but saying there'll be a fatality is OTT.

How so doc? Smoke bomb let off in crowd someone seriously asthmatic has reaction and dies. Not that difficult.

PeterboroHibee
20-10-2013, 07:21 PM
I dont really see the point of them. People seem to let them off at random points during a game, chuck them on the pitch, and as we have seen today, give morons in the crowd another form of a missile.

green&left
20-10-2013, 07:28 PM
How so doc? Smoke bomb let off in crowd someone seriously asthmatic has reaction and dies. Not that difficult.

How many folk have died at the 1000s of paintballing arenas all over the country were these exact smoke bombs are encouraged to be used (including the indoor ine on Leith Walk)

Just Alf
20-10-2013, 07:35 PM
WHAT! yer telling me that someone who knows they've a breathing difficulty actually goes to places where they KNOW smoke/flares etc are being flung in their face?

Edit: just to be clear as a first aider (at work) I ended up unexpectedly giving someone some serious medical aid at an Everton game a few years ago... Didn't make for one of my best "away days"

marinello59
20-10-2013, 07:36 PM
How many folk have died at the 1000s of paintballing arenas all over the country were these exact smoke bombs are encouraged to be used (including the indoor ine on Leith Walk)

You mean controlled environments where people are warned what to expect so they can either not take part if it would cause them problems or accept a disclaimer?
I have enjoyed them but if I think back to all the best atmospheres I have enjoyed there were no flares involved. They are looking more and more like a self indulgence for the tiny band using thèm rather than a genuine attempt to add atmosphere.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Smokebombs and flares add atmosphere to football games in Scotland, on the same way that cigarettes added atmosphere to our pubs.

jacomo
20-10-2013, 08:35 PM
I dont really see the point of them. People seem to let them off at random points during a game, chuck them on the pitch, and as we have seen today, give morons in the crowd another form of a missile.

Is this not because they are banned though, so the people who set them off want to get rid ASAP?

I think they is a case for their controlled use.

tamig
21-10-2013, 03:07 PM
The scenes with the flares in Milan yesterday were outrageous. This was an extreme example but don't know how anyone would wish to be involved in anything like that.

PatHead
21-10-2013, 03:17 PM
The scenes with the flares in Milan yesterday were outrageous. This was an extreme example but don't know how anyone would wish to be involved in anything like that.

What happened? Personally I just think anything that involves throwing an object is not a good idea.

tamig
21-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Sorry bud i got the wrong end of the stick. They were showing old scenes from a few years back of a Milan derby when they were covering the smoke bomb story on SSN. The one where Dida got pelted by a flare.

PatHead
21-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Sorry bud i got the wrong end of the stick. They were showing old scenes from a few years back of a Milan derby when they were covering the smoke bomb story on SSN. The one where Dida got pelted by a flare.

No probs.

Deansy
21-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Fraid not -

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/379511/14-year-old-boy-dies-during-football-match-in-Bolivia

"Bolivian police have charged 12 Corinthians fans with homicide after the 14-year-old died after a flare hit the boy in the eye, reportedly killing him instantly"

PatHead
21-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Harmless fun eh! from BBC- In May, a 15-year-old boy suffered lung damage from a smoke bomb thrown during Villa's game at Wigan. The boy needed hospital treatment, while two women, aged 22 and 24, also required attention for the effects of the device, which was lit during the 2-2 draw.

Leishy1995
21-10-2013, 04:04 PM

The actual item is banned!

I think it depends on whether it's a flare or smokebomb. SMOKEBOMBS I've held and they aren't warm and didn't burn. Flares I've not but I expect they will burn!

ZS DOOM
21-10-2013, 04:17 PM
The actual item is banned!

I think it depends on whether it's a flare or smokebomb. SMOKEBOMBS I've held and they aren't warm and didn't burn. Flares I've not but I expect they will burn!

So it's you thats been setting them off at games then?

SmallvilleHibee
21-10-2013, 04:26 PM
I don't see any harm in using "pyro" but if they're outlawed they shouldn't be used. Saying that how long will it be until fans stand up against the brutal force used in these situations?

marinello59
21-10-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't see any harm in using "pyro" but if they're outlawed they shouldn't be used. Saying that how long will it be until fans stand up against the brutal force used in these situations?

Brutal force? I must have missed that when they have been let off by the Hibs support.

Aldo
21-10-2013, 05:11 PM

What brutal force is this? Have I missed something??

Care to explain ?

Hibernia Na Eir
21-10-2013, 05:27 PM
bit of a flare up.

Leishy1995
21-10-2013, 05:55 PM
So it's you thats been setting them off at games then?

I barely make it to games because of my own games, so no. It was thrown literally to me already lit on a march to Tynecastle. Clueless.

Andy74
21-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Harmless fun eh! from BBC- In May, a 15-year-old boy suffered lung damage from a smoke bomb thrown during Villa's game at Wigan. The boy needed hospital treatment, while two women, aged 22 and 24, also required attention for the effects of the device, which was lit during the 2-2 draw.

I'll bet more people have been injured by balls. Best get rid of them from the games too.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I'll bet more people have been injured by balls. Best get rid of them from the games too.

:faf:

hibee_nation
21-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Who keeps setting off the smoke bomb in the toilets in the east stand at half time. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
21-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Can you not use your super powers to help these poor fans out?

ZS DOOM
21-10-2013, 09:32 PM
I barely make it to games because of my own games, so no. It was thrown literally to me already lit on a march to Tynecastle. Clueless.

So you and your pal got pyro as someone gave/threw it to you both... :aok:

Glory Lurker
21-10-2013, 09:40 PM
These smoke bomb/flare threads are clearly the Sons of Flag Debate. Can we not just give it a rest and accept that it's only unkempt, long-haired, punk-listening, hoody-wearing, goth-type young layabouts who think it's a good idea? National Service would teach them proper respect - and they might get to run about through smoke bombs in battlefield training. Win-win for them.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-10-2013, 09:45 PM
I blame "fireworks Phil" myself...

Leishy1995
21-10-2013, 11:51 PM
So you and your pal got pyro as someone gave/threw it to you both... :aok:

My friend yes, mines was on the march to Tynecastle. I picked it up as it got me in the back. Clueless by name clueless by nature.

Weststandwanab
22-10-2013, 03:10 AM
Agreed about the idiot launching it at the linesman, but saying there'll be a fatality is OTT. I disagree.

How so doc? Smoke bomb let off in crowd someone seriously asthmatic has reaction and dies. Not that difficult. Precisely.

WHAT! yer telling me that someone who knows they've a breathing difficulty actually goes to places where they KNOW smoke/flares etc are being flung in their face?

Edit: just to be clear as a first aider (at work) I ended up unexpectedly giving someone some serious medical aid at an Everton game a few years ago... Didn't make for one of my best "away days" Spot on.

Smokebombs and flares add atmosphere to football games in Scotland, on the same way that cigarettes added atmosphere to our pubs. In a positive or negative way in your opinion ?

Is this not because they are banned though, so the people who set them off want to get rid ASAP?

I think they is a case for their controlled use. Ban them, no need to use them controlled or otherwise.

Weststandwanab
22-10-2013, 03:12 AM
Who keeps setting off the smoke bomb in the toilets in the east stand at half time. :greengrin The morons that think the can legally smoke probably.

My friend yes, mines was on the march to Tynecastle. I picked it up as it got me in the back. Clueless by name clueless by nature. Well said

Chuck Rhoades
22-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Who keeps setting off the smoke bomb in the toilets in the east stand at half time. :greengrin

Disgrace eh.

Chuck Rhoades
22-10-2013, 05:42 AM
My friend yes, mines was on the march to Tynecastle. I picked it up as it got me in the back. Clueless by name clueless by nature.

Boom. And he gets his bite!

ZS DOOM
22-10-2013, 08:07 AM

Haha. Pleasing

Viva_Palmeiras
22-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Listening to the dude on Sky I think it was controlled pyro is not what (in his opinion/research) the ultras/yoots/yoof want its a more anarchic less controlled atmosphere - they want to control the atmosphere. They dont want the authorities interfering with their singing, antics. So there's an undercurrent here.

Its never going to be allowed in my view. This recent incident merely outlines the hazards and will strengthen the resolve to stamp it out.

The thing that surprises me is that the champs league rules don't appear to outlaw use and Eufa and FIFA appear to have been relatively mute on the subject -the Eufa articles I could find a while back seemed to mainly focus on the Dida incident and leave the issue up to individual associations. If these bodies are not about the development, promotion, sustainability and safety of supporters then what do they do - award world cups without thinking things through?

SaulGoodman
22-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Disgrace eh.

I'd say it is, got nothing against smokeboms tbh, but can I not go for a piss without some fanny setting them off in the toilets?

Or is this part of the 'atmosphere'

Chuck Rhoades
22-10-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd say it is, got nothing against smokeboms tbh, but can I not go for a piss without some fanny setting them off in the toilets?

Refence was to smokers I think?

Scouse Hibee
22-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Plenty of fannys can't go 90 minutes without a fag it seems.

Leishy1995
22-10-2013, 02:26 PM

"Bite" is such a hearts comment after a Hibs fan had torn their debate apart.

SaulGoodman
22-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Refence was to smokers I think?

Indeed. Too early in the week for me, see yous all on Friday :greengrin

GavinHarris 10
22-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Never encountered a smoke bomb but at a music festival some fud in front of me lit a flare and held it just above his head, spraying sparks all over the place. Don't see why people think they add to atmosphere!

erin go bragh
22-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Got my coupen up because of that flare , game got abandoned with my team losing , in the 80 something minute .

Ggtth

frazeHFC
23-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Never encountered a smoke bomb but at a music festival some fud in front of me lit a flare and held it just above his head, spraying sparks all over the place. Don't see why people think they add to atmosphere!

Santiago Munez says they do, so much better than you at football anyway!

GavinHarris 10
23-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Santiago Munez says they do, so much better than you at football anyway!

Santiago's a nobody! Gav Harris is world class! 8million quid Newcastle paid for him. Worth every penny

ManBearPig
23-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Santiago was a ball greedy fud that flattered to deceive the toon were well rid of him.

cocopops1875
23-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Santiago was a ball greedy fud that flattered to deceive the toon were well rid of him.

His father did see his goal at Fulll-Ham before his death though

ManBearPig
23-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I still think he was a liar and a pre Madonna especially about his asthma and messing about with that gav harris...

GavinHarris 10
23-10-2013, 10:22 PM
His father did see his goal at Fulll-Ham before his death though

In tears when this comes on the zitelli! Most emotional moment in film history! Still raging England didn't pick me for the squad for goal 3! My class banter would have made the film bearable

GavinHarris 10
23-10-2013, 10:29 PM
I still think he was a liar and a pre Madonna especially about his asthma and messing about with that gav harris...

Santi is a grade A bottle merchant! Newcastle punted him after 5 games max and real only played him in the wee games! Tottenham signed him and then he was in a car crash and getting injured. He Broke his leg doing keepie uppies in 2 Talk about being injury prone! Mexican bawbag!

Carheenlea
24-10-2013, 08:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tDmPSjLeHM