PDA

View Full Version : Performance v Celtic wasn't good

DJ HIBBY
20-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Tin hat on here!

Yes I agree we battled well and put in 100% with great performances from McGivern, Thomson and Williams in particular.

However, I still think we were absolutely honking to watch and due to our inability to keep the ball was the reason we had to battle so hard and invited pressure from Celtic. A wee bit of luck and another amazing performance from Williams ensured we got a point we didn't really deserve being totally honest. On another day, we would have been heavily punished.

At no point where I could see us actually trying to win a game of football and I am afraid after yesterday's result that Fenlon will still believe this is the way we should play against everyone.

4 points is a good return from the last 2 games but we need to start working hard on our passing game, retaining possession and playing on the front foot in order for us to improve and push on for 2nd place.

Heisenberg
20-10-2013, 11:58 AM
I can't think of any team this season in the league that's played on the front foot for long periods against Celtc. I agree we need to do it against other teams but against Celtc our tactics were spot on.

DJ HIBBY
20-10-2013, 12:01 PM
I can't think of any team this season in the league that's played on the front foot for long periods against Celtc. I agree we need to do it against other teams but against Celtc our tactics were spot on.

I am not saying long periods mate but we didn't really have any periods where we put them under too much pressure. I do think Celtic have good attacking options but they are fragile in defence and there to be got at.

I also think we have a fairly good squad and if managed correctly have the ability to finish 2nd but not with our current style.

hfc rd
20-10-2013, 12:02 PM

This. If we play like that against the other teams, then we will definitely start winning a lot more games. Yesterday, PF got his tactics spot on.

truehibernian
20-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Stokes has been on fore this season yet yesterday was the first game of the season he was nullified - similarly Samaras. Both flitted between flanks as they were getting no joy, and you only had to watch Lennon on the touchline to see that Hibs' tactic was working.

In every game I've watched Celtic, their big centre half Van Dijk has been allowed to venture deep into the opposition half yet I can't recall once where he was either allowed to or wished to.

Celtic are on top form coming into the game and Hibs outfought them - far from it being 'honking' it was 'efficient' and workmanlike.

DJ HIBBY
20-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Stokes has been on fore this season yet yesterday was the first game of the season he was nullified - similarly Samaras. Both flitted between flanks as they were getting no joy, and you only had to watch Lennon on the touchline to see that Hibs' tactic was working.

In every game I've watched Celtic, their big centre half Van Dijk has been allowed to venture deep into the opposition half yet I can't recall once where he was either allowed to or wished to.

Celtic are on top form coming into the game and Hibs outfought them - far from it being 'honking' it was 'efficient' and workmanlike.

Our defensive play was very good and I did say we battled and pressed well. I would however have liked to see more offensive play and I am not just referring to yesterday. We do have players who can hurt teams.

I agree what you say with Samaras and Stokes. I thought it was strange that Samaras was in the centre with Stokes out wide. Think they would have had more joy the other way around

Thecat23
20-10-2013, 12:12 PM
I know what your saying mate, but when Celtic come to town it's hard to try play an attacking game as their players are far better than ours. It will work the odd time but mostly we need to just dig deep. If that's how we play against the dons next week though and try just defend then that's a different story.

We now need to take the game to the opposition. I said the games against St. Mirren and Celtic won't reflect where we are as Saints were shockingly bad and Celtic are far superior. The teams in between are the ones I'll judge Pat on. We should fear no one it's simple as that. We will have games were we don't play well or get beat but it's how we play and if we actually are trying to win them that will matter. Not set out not to lose.

Pat got it spot on for me yesterday.

Aldo
20-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Tin hat on here! Yes I agree we battled well and put in 100% with great performances from McGivern, Thomson and Williams in particular. However, I still think we were absolutely honking to watch and due to our inability to keep the ball was the reason we had to battle so hard and invited pressure from Celtic. A wee bit of luck and another amazing performance from Williams ensured we got a point we didn't really deserve being totally honest. On another day, we would have been heavily punished. At no point where I could see us actually trying to win a game of football and I am afraid after yesterday's result that Fenlon will still believe this is the way we should play against everyone. 4 points is a good return from the last 2 games but we need to start working hard on our passing game, retaining possession and playing on the front foot in order for us to improve and push on for 2nd place.

Playing against the current champions and a very good team home or away is very difficult.

For me tactics were spot on however we rode our luck at time and didn't get many chances.

For me it was a very very good team performance with everyone contributing. If you offered me a point before the game and at half time I would of taken it.

Don't be fooled Smellic put out a very strong side.

I will however expect us to attack the Sheep a wee bit more next weekend.

Andy74
20-10-2013, 12:39 PM
This. If we play like that against the other teams, then we will definitely start winning a lot more games. Yesterday, PF got his tactics spot on.

We are winning games though.

Andy74
20-10-2013, 12:42 PM
I know what your saying mate, but when Celtic come to town it's hard to try play an attacking game as their players are far better than ours. It will work the odd time but mostly we need to just dig deep. If that's how we play against the dons next week though and try just defend then that's a different story.

We now need to take the game to the opposition. I said the games against St. Mirren and Celtic won't reflect where we are as Saints were shockingly bad and Celtic are far superior. The teams in between are the ones I'll judge Pat on. We should fear no one it's simple as that. We will have games were we don't play well or get beat but it's how we play and if we actually are trying to win them that will matter. Not set out not to lose.

Pat got it spot on for me yesterday.

Saints have been pretty decent in recent weeks. We play every team in the league and all count.

We seem to be finding new ways each week to try and hide the fact we are actually doing quite well.

Northernhibee
20-10-2013, 12:43 PM
One loss in nine games is a stat any team would want - we're a good side.

Emerald
20-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Tin hat on here!

Yes I agree we battled well and put in 100% with great performances from McGivern, Thomson and Williams in particular.

However, I still think we were absolutely honking to watch and due to our inability to keep the ball was the reason we had to battle so hard and invited pressure from Celtic. A wee bit of luck and another amazing performance from Williams ensured we got a point we didn't really deserve being totally honest. On another day, we would have been heavily punished.

At no point where I could see us actually trying to win a game of football and I am afraid after yesterday's result that Fenlon will still believe this is the way we should play against everyone.

4 points is a good return from the last 2 games but we need to start working hard on our passing game, retaining possession and playing on the front foot in order for us to improve and push on for 2nd place.

It will take a lot more to convince me that Fenlon ever tries to win matches and I don't think he is the right man for Hibs. However, we tried to play football yesterday for a change and with Zouby playing in that position there was a link up from midfield to the front, resulting in less aimless punts up the park. If he takes this approach for the rest of the season then I'm more optimistic. Although I have my doubts he deserves credit for yesterdays performance as he did last year against Celtic. Its what comes next and consistency that matter from now on, we shall have to wait and see.

Wotherspiniesta
20-10-2013, 12:44 PM
It was a hard earned point, but a fully deserved one. To suggest otherwise is just wrong, IMO.

Northernhibee
20-10-2013, 12:46 PM
It will take a lot more to convince me that Fenlon ever tries to win matches and I don't think he is the right man for Hibs. However, we tried to play football yesterday for a change and with Zouby playing in that position there was a link up from midfield to the front, resulting in less aimless punts up the park. If he takes this approach for the rest of the season then I'm more optimistic. Although I have my doubts he deserves credit for yesterdays performance as he did last year against Celtic. Its what comes next and consistency that matter from now on, we shall have to wait and see.

Stopped reading after your first sentence.

Edit: Maybe should have read the rest after all :grin:

PF is a definate winner though.

Andy74
20-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Yeah if you wait then every couple of months you can be proved correct.

rcarter1
20-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Tin hat on here!

I agree to an extent. On another day, Heffs goal would be chopped off (correctly), and Celtic would be 3 up at half time. The performance was very determined, and this on its own is great to see, but we could have been destroyed purely on quality. Its difficult to judge how we will now do against Aberdeen from that performance, but I thought we showed a good bit of nice passing against far quicker and athletic opponents. I suspect that passing could be used to better effect against lesser opposition. Zoubir needs a wee word told to keep it simple and wait for the right moment to go for the tricky stuff.

Emerald
20-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Stopped reading after your first sentence.

That was silly because I was giving him credit and hoping for more of the same. Two years of mince takes more than a couple of results to change my mind though. However, I am willing to wait and see until the end of the season.

Sas_The_Hibby
20-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Potential Future Headline:

"Hibs Only Win League By Ten Points - Fans In Revolt"

:wink:

Northernhibee
20-10-2013, 12:51 PM
That was silly because I was giving him credit and hoping for more of the same. Two years of mince takes more than a couple of results to change my mind though. However, I am willing to wait and see until the end of the season.

To be fair if Pat didn't try to win matches he wouldn't have such an array of achievements. It'd be totally beyond belief to suggest otherwise.

Keith_M
20-10-2013, 12:51 PM
I've criticised Fenlon a lot but it's fair to say that the team is now showing some consistency.

Despite having never stated this himself, it appears that his style of play is to make the team hard to beat. There were spells last year when this idea seemed laughable, as we were anything but hard to beat, but it may just be that this is it coming together now.

If this is the case, I wonder if it is now a matter of whether we as fans are willing to accept that this is the new 'Hibs way'.

Emerald
20-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Yeah if you wait then every couple of months you can be proved correct.

Its usually not that long though is it and that is not intended to be a dig, its just what has been happening. He is on a decent run results wise and I hope it gets better and better. I WANT us to be winning and entertaining, is there something wrong with that?

Northernhibee
20-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I've criticised Fenlon a lot but it's fair to say that the team is now showing some consistency.

Despite having never stated this himself, it appears that his style of play is to make the team hard to beat. There were spells last year when this idea seemed laughable, as we were anything but hard to beat, but it may just be that this is it coming together now.

If this is the case, I wonder if it is now a matter of whether we as fans are willing to accept that this is the new 'Hibs way'.

Thing is, we start being hard to beat on a consistent basis then add another couple of flair players and we could be very good indeed.

Keith_M
20-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Thing is, we start being hard to beat on a consistent basis then add another couple of flair players and we could be very good indeed.

That would be ideal, so I hope you're right :wink:

rcarter1
20-10-2013, 01:00 PM

this :thumbsup:

Borderhibbie76
20-10-2013, 01:02 PM
One loss in nine games is a stat any team would want - we're a good side.

THIS...its about time we started looking for the positives!!

Borderhibbie76
20-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Maybe some should also bear in mind we are first team to take a point off septic at home this season...and only us and ict have held them to a draw!! In fact we were 15 mins away from beating them. ..

mutley
20-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Maybe some should also bear in mind we are first team to take a point off septic at home this season...and only us and ict have held them to a draw!! In fact we were 15 mins away from beating them. ..

This..... And as I was clock watching the entire second half, I really though we were going to clinch it. Sadly that never happened, but a point is a point and far better than the loss that we all expected

Andy74
20-10-2013, 01:44 PM

It's the two years of mince thing that's just nonsense.

gillie
20-10-2013, 01:44 PM
yesterdays game was the 1st iv seen since january it looked to me that we have come on a long way since then, imo we were not playing great then and i would have been happy for pf to go but after yesterdays game id give him a chance

marinello59
20-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Tin hat on here!

Good.
Man for man the Celtic players are far more skillfull in most areas of the pitch so the best way of ensuring that we took something from that game was to do exactly what we did, make sure we matched them physically and for work rate. Defending against their front men was not only exhausting mentally but physically so to restrict them to just one goal (scored when one of our defenders was off the pitch) suggests the performance was more than OK. To dismiss getting a draw against the current champions as due only to luck and Williams strikes me as churlish. We fully deserved a t least a draw.
After Craig gave away a free kick on the 55th minute Fenlon was out urging the team to press up more rather than to sit back and invite Celtic on to us. Hardly the actions of a man who didn't want to secure the win.
The football is ugly but it is getting results.

--------
20-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Tin hat on here!

Not trying to win the game? Not even when we were defending our lead - a period of over an hour?

Until FIFA change the rules to allow extra points to be awarded for style and technical merit, the result in goals scored remains the main thing that counts in a game of football. A well-fought 1-1 means a lot more than a stylish performance where we lose 5-3; maybe not as entertaining, but a point's a point and well done Pat and the team.

Celtic are playing in the Champions' League - Hibs fell out of the Europa League in circumstances too painful and embarrassing to mention in detail. IMO it's distinctly possible that if the team had played against Malmo the way they played against Celtic yesterday, they might have progressed and got their humping from Swansea instead. Or maybe they wouldn't have got a humping, but a reasonable and honourable defeat?

Playing the sort of open attractive football that you seem to be suggesting Hibs should have played against Celtic is asking for trouble. If Hibs had done as you suggest, I suspect you would be on here demanding Pat Fenlon's head on a platter for not modifying his tactics to take account of Celtic's technical superiority. The guy can't win with some of this support.

We gave the other teams 6 points of a start. Against Motherwell I thought the midfield was far from competitive or combative. Against Hearts we should have won, but again, a lack of bite and fire brought us down. And against ICT the screams were that the players were a bunch of wimps who totally failed to turn up, that they needed some fire in the bellies to compete for the ball and win the midfield.

Now they do, and some of us still aren't happy. We gotta be "stylish" as well.

IMO marinello59's right. "Churlish" is the word.

I give up. :brickwall

fife hfc
20-10-2013, 02:08 PM

As you say in recent seasons we have been far from hard to beat. If this is Pats first achievement then that is a big step forward. The next step is to keep us hard to beat but add more so called 'flair' to the team. He said himself in an interview a few weeks ago that he needs more attacking options in the midfield area and as I see this as a building process after the mess of the last few seasons (under Calderwood etc) then if he can add that then we will move in the right direction. yesterday was a good performance as celtic are a club with a huge budget compared to us and to compete with teams like this then yesterday was the way to do it (celtic were over the moon at beating barca last season on the same type of performance).

basehibby
20-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Tin hat on here!

Poor and negatively blinkered analysis - Celtic in case you hadn't noticed are on a different financial planet from every other team in the league including us. Fenlon set out his stall to contain them and hit them on the break - and it worked a treat - we took the lead and Celtic had to conjur up something special to grab a point in the end.
Fenlon has drawn justified criticism at times but it's clear that some of his critics are losing their perspective and it comes across as a churlish and graceless refusal to acknowledge they could be wrong and give credit where it's due.

Lucius Apuleius
20-10-2013, 03:06 PM
**** flair fitba. Points is points. I enjoyed that game yesterday. All positives from me.

Franck Stanton
20-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Not trying to win the game? Not even when we were defending our lead - a period of over an hour?

Until FIFA change the rules to allow extra points to be awarded for style and technical merit, the result in goals scored remains the main thing that counts in a game of football. A well-fought 1-1 means a lot more than a stylish performance where we lose 5-3; maybe not as entertaining, but a point's a point and well done Pat and the team.

Celtic are playing in the Champions' League - Hibs fell out of the Europa League in circumstances too painful and embarrassing to mention in detail. IMO it's distinctly possible that if the team had played against Malmo the way they played against Celtic yesterday, they might have progressed and got their humping from Swansea instead. Or maybe they wouldn't have got a humping, but a reasonable and honourable defeat?

Playing the sort of open attractive football that you seem to be suggesting Hibs should have played against Celtic is asking for trouble. If Hibs had done as you suggest, I suspect you would be on here demanding Pat Fenlon's head on a platter for not modifying his tactics to take account of Celtic's technical superiority. The guy can't win with some of this support.

We gave the other teams 6 points of a start. Against Motherwell I thought the midfield was far from competitive or combative. Against Hearts we should have won, but again, a lack of bite and fire brought us down. And against ICT the screams were that the players were a bunch of wimps who totally failed to turn up, that they needed some fire in the bellies to compete for the ball and win the midfield.

I give up. :brickwall

This. Well said that man, agree with every word.

Sir David Gray
20-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I sometimes wonder what people actually expect.

Yesterday we were playing against a team whose wage bill is many times higher than ours, who will most likely win the league title by at least 20 points and who are playing in the Champions League in a couple of days' time.

We were in front against that team for an hour and came very close to holding on for the three points.

Just after half time yesterday, I heard some guy behind me going absolutely mental at the team and Pat Fenlon for some unknown reason and I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing.

We have played 10 games so far and find ourselves with 15 points. If we continue that sort of ratio throughout the season, we'll be close to making 60 points and going on previous seasons, that would hopefully see us in and around the top four places.

I think the target should be second place but it's a lot more positive than it has been over recent years.

Hibercelona
20-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Yesterday wasn't great. Neither was it unexpected. We've played that exact same style (if you can call it that) against every team in the league so far this season.

But I fear this is just another one of those Yogi Hughes type of runs. Where it's only a matter of time before our fortune runs out and people begin to realize again that we're not really improving at all.

We've been very dogid which isn't a bad thing. But there has to be a mixture of football in there as well, and currently, we just don't have that.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2013, 03:32 PM
You cannot fault yesterdays performance, Celtic should beat us 9 times out of 10. We as a team gave everything for the cause, and fought scrapped and battled our way to a draw. Its the way we have to play against them now, we can't match them these days football wise.

Now i'd agree we have been poor to watch for a long time, and for me to bother my arse and get up to games regularly again, then the entertainment just has to be a lot better than its been, its taken years for me to think this way, but thats where i am now.

Pretty Boy
20-10-2013, 03:39 PM
We were absolutely fine yesterday.

I'll be the 1st to criticise Fenlon and the team when they deserve it but they deserve plenty praise for yesterday.

Contrary to what some believe that is a very decent Celtic team and we came within 15 minutes of beating them. Ok it was backs to the walls stuff for long spells but they have a squad worth millions. I also thought we played some decent stuff in spells.

I was very quick to stick the boot in after the Partick game because that was piss poor but yesterday was exactly what i expected against Celtic and it was very good.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Yesterday we were playing against a team whose wage bill is many times higher than ours, who will most likely win the league title by at least 20 points and who are playing in the Champions League in a couple of days' time.

We were in front against that team for an hour and came very close to holding on for the three points.

Just after half time yesterday, I heard some guy behind me going absolutely mental at the team and Pat Fenlon for some unknown reason and I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing.

We have played 10 games so far and find ourselves with 15 points. If we continue that sort of ratio throughout the season, we'll be close to making 60 points and going on previous seasons, that would hopefully see us in and around the top four places.

I think the target should be second place but it's a lot more positive than it has been over recent years.

While i agree with 99% of your post, i think you know what most people expect or want from a visit to watch Hibs.

Speaking personally, i want to be excited, i want to be off my seat with expectation, i want to come away from games excited about going to the next game and wishing it would come quicker.

I agree about yesterday, as i said earlier, we shouldn't even be able to come close to them, they should beat us at least 9 times out of 10. Yesterday was a very good point, but we shouldn't be playing the way we did against Celtic, against teams like Partick.

DJ HIBBY
20-10-2013, 03:40 PM
You cannot fault yesterdays performance, Celtic should beat us 9 times out of 10. We as a team gave everything for the cause, and fought scrapped and battled our way to a draw. Its the way we have to play against them now, we can't match them these days football wise.

Now i'd agree we have been poor to watch for a long time, and for me to bother my arse and get up to games regularly again, then the entertainment just has to be a lot better than its been, its taken years for me to think this way, but thats where i am now.

I guess this is where I am with things at the moment, totally scunnered with our style of play. If we had been playing well around this performance, i guess I wouldn't be looking at it so negatively.

I am not dismissing a point against the champions. my concern though like our last win against celtic at Easter Road is that Fenlon thinks this style of play is the way forward

Feed McGraw
20-10-2013, 03:42 PM
It's the two years of mince thing that's just nonsense. You`re right Andy, its at least six years. :greengrin

silverhibee
20-10-2013, 03:48 PM
**** flair fitba. Points is points. I enjoyed that game yesterday. All positives from me.

Me too, hope there is more to come like that.

I did say that we should be looking to get 7 points from the Thistle celtc and sheep games and win the cup game against them.

Pat could be in for Manager of the month award. :cb

Sir David Gray
20-10-2013, 03:52 PM
While i agree with 99% of your post, i think you know what most people expect or want from a visit to watch Hibs.

Speaking personally, i want to be excited, i want to be off my seat with expectation, i want to come away from games excited about going to the next game and wishing it would come quicker.

I agree about yesterday, as i said earlier, we shouldn't even be able to come close to them, they should beat us at least 9 times out of 10. Yesterday was a very good point, but we shouldn't be playing the way we did against Celtic, against teams like Partick.

I agree with your post and I would like to be entertained as well when I go to watch Hibs, but my comments were borne out of frustration at the sorts of comments I have seen and heard from fans specifically in relation to yesterday's match.

I haven't seen a lot of our matches over the last month or so, in fact before yesterday the last game I was able to make was the Ross County game at the end of August. However I realise that we haven't been particularly great at times, especially against Partick Thistle, despite the positive result.

However I don't see the point in coming out with negative comments about the players or about Fenlon's management skills after a draw against the team that is the best in the country by a mile.

erin go bragh
20-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Correct , plus they scored their goal when we were a man short , pretty sure Samaras flattened Mcgivern causing him to go off and receive treatment but no foul was given . Id say if Mcgivern had stayed on the park we would have won 1-0 , imo .

Ggtth

LeithBoozy
20-10-2013, 03:58 PM
I agree 100% with the positive posts of the lads above, we secured a draw against a very good Celtic team and the lads fought hard for it. The icing on the cake for me, was a reporter telling Pat that Lennon was not pleased with the tackling from Hibs. What a great reply from Pat, GOOD, that shows they are beginning to listen to me, he has went up mega in my eyes with that retort. :greengrin

B.H.F.C
20-10-2013, 04:00 PM
If you'd offered me a point beforehand I'd have been delighted. We were playing against a better team with better players pretty much in every position. But we matched them for work rate, dug in and earned our point so fair play.

It's just a shame that under Pat opinions aren't going to change. There has been too many embarrassments and poor performances. You only had to look around at all the empty seats yesterday when we are actually one of the form teams in the league and playing the champions.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I agree with your post and I would like to be entertained as well when I go to watch Hibs, but my comments were borne out of frustration at the sorts of comments I have seen and heard from fans specifically in relation to yesterday's match.

:agree: There are some folk who just won't change their opinion, i cant see whats wrong and dont have a problem praising the management and team after a good battling performance against Celtic?

As i said before, against Celtic those tactics are virtually thrust on us, we cant go out and match them at football. We have to be in their faces and scrap for every ball, while defending a bit deeper than we'd probably like.

Any point or win is a good result against that mob, and a result we should be proud of.

Ricky Bobby
20-10-2013, 04:07 PM

This is exactly how i see it, we were playing against a team with resources far greater than ours with a team full of players that cost way in excess of what Pat has assembled. The performance yesterday was as much as anyone could have expected and had some very decent individual performances.
I would just like to see the same commitment on a more regular basis, if we can get that then this could be a half decent season.

Thecat23
20-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Saints have been pretty decent in recent weeks. We play every team in the league and all count.

We seem to be finding new ways each week to try and hide the fact we are actually doing quite well.

Andy read my post again, I'm actually saying Pat got it spot on and we done well. My point is valid as at the time saints were shocking no matter how you look at it. Like us they have picked up. But I'm saying you can't judge Hibs on playing against the best in the league or the worst. It's the teams In between that you get a good idea of how we are. If we got skelped yesterday I wouldn't be on here saying its pats fault as Celtic are such a good side I expected a defeat to be honest. They had pretty much all the ball but we defended superbly.

Stevie Reid
20-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Shouldn't really be surprised a thread like this being started, but disappointing that such a good performance could be criticised by anyone.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game yesterday, I enjoyed watching us defend as doggedly and bravely as we did, and I didn't see a failure in the whole team. When we did have the ball I thought the players were happy to take possession in tight areas and used it pretty well, not easy to do given the surface and the amount of rain.

Often when you take points from Celtic it's down to them not playing well, but I thought they were excellent yesterday - a couple of years back they beat us 5-0 at ER and they were miles better yesterday than they were that day IMO.

We showed real character to defend our lead for as long as we did, and then to withstand further pressure afterwards, without capitulating. All in all, we were tactically sound and took a point due to a good team performance where everybody could be proud of their individual efforts. I came away having been entertained and happy with a point.

bigwheel
20-10-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm guessing the op is dreaming of a football performance that we are not capable off against Celtic. The reality is they are a much better team and set of individuals than us, Yet we managed to compete strongly against them for the whole game. We were well organised, defended very well and our spirit was superb. The work rate matched them man for man. The thing that made yesterday an even better performance was that Celtic played well. It wasn't as if they didn't turn up. They put in a strong 90 too, yet our work deserved the point. It's strange, although not a real surprise people take a negative view...for the first time in ages, we looked like a team with some fight about us. I'll take that against Celtic every time.

jonny
20-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Correct , plus they scored their goal when we were a man short , pretty sure Samaras flattened Mcgivern causing him to go off and receive treatment but no foul was given . Id say if Mcgivern had stayed on the park we would have won 1-0 , imo .

Ggtth

Agree with this. They had all but run out of ideas, then our left back has to go off and their right winger is afforded extra space to move into the box and have a speculative shot.

J-C
20-10-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm guessing the op is dreaming of a football performance that we are not capable off against Celtic. The reality is they are a much better team and set of individuals than us, Yet we managed to compete strongly against them for the whole game. We were well organised, defended very well and our spirit was superb. The work rate matched them man for man. The thing that made yesterday an even better performance was that Celtic played well. It wasn't as if they didn't turn up. They put in a strong 90 too, yet our work deserved the point. It's strange, although not a real surprise people take a negative view...for the first time in ages, we looked like a team with some fight about us. I'll take that against Celtic every time.

Pretty sure last year against Barca, Celtic did exactly what we did yesterday, got in their face and made it hard for them, had a bit of luck and won the game, even though they were outplayed man for man by a better team.

NAE NOOKIE
20-10-2013, 05:19 PM
You are correct. Yesterday's performance wasnt good ..... it was bloody excellent.

When you play celtic its almost a one off game because its a totally different challenge from playing any other team in the Premieship. To get anything off them you have to close them down all over the park and put your body on the line. To a man Hibs did that very well yesterday and PF was right to play that way in that game.

I was very annoyed with Hibs against Partick because we were second best all over the park and so fortunate to win given our total lack of decent forward movement of any quality in that game, in fact we lacked football of any quality at all apart from the goal. That performance deserved every bit of criticism it got.

Yesterday we actually played better football in possession than we did at Firhill because we tried to play the ball on the deck instead of aimless lumps up the park to Paul Heffernan.

So yeh.. I'm more than happy with the way Hibs played yesterday .. if we use the same tactics agains Aberdeen next Saturday I will be a hell of a lot less happy, because we need to play like the home team against the other clubs in the league and go for the win, we have the players, all we need is the courage and attitude to attack.

Like a lot of other folk I hope to hell that just because a fighting backs to the wall performance against a team streets ahead of us quality wise gets a draw that we should play that way in every game .... we shouldnt.

ancient hibee
20-10-2013, 05:20 PM

Would that be the Partick who have just taken 3 points off ICT(the team and manager that everyone on here was creaming themselves about)?

PeeJay
20-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Think the OP's got a point myself. I watched the game on tv/Internet and while I enjoyed the game and the point gained, we weren't really "good" in any positive footballing sense - we were up for it, we certainly battled well, and we held them at bay for long periods, but we didn't control the game (apart from perhaps a 10 minute spell second half, where Celtic appeared to have lost the plot), we were unable to retain the ball for any length of time (despite Fenlon's pre-match interview saying that possession would be crucial), and when we had the ball we did little with it creatively, where it counts. We scraped a point, at home. Celtic were not clinical up front, they had several chances, but we had a great keeper and a defiant team, and we rode our luck. We scored a well taken goal, but on another day it would have been flagged. We didn't test their goalkeeper much, if at all. As to Celtic's finances - if it's a problem, one has to wonder why we bother turning up? ... Whatever, while there are certainly some positives to take from the game, on this showing I can't see us challenging for 2nd or winning a trophy - The performance was decent yesterday, no reason to go OTT. We're a long way from being good. ... and Fenlon is a long way from making up for the disgraceful series of results we have had to put up with under his tenure.

Thecat23
20-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Would that be the Partick who have just taken 3 points off ICT(the team and manager that everyone on here was creaming themselves about)?

When are folk going to get the point folk like myself and BH are saying. It was about how we played that night. It was ****ing terrible. Yes we won, yes I was delighted as I'm sure BH was but I was left wondering how the hell anyone played that bad and won. We don't think hibs have to play like Barca or that like some smart ***** think. We are saying the performance was totally unacceptable against Partick and we got lucky.

Yesterday was a super point and I was delighted with the performance but another like the Partick game and more fans will stop going. Look at attendances those are the facts folk are fed up simple as that.

SMAXXA
20-10-2013, 05:33 PM
When are folk going to get the point folk like myself and BH are saying. It was about how we played that night. It was ****ing terrible. Yes we won, yes I was delighted as I'm sure BH was but I was left wondering how the hell anyone played that bad and won. We don't think hibs have to play like Barca or that like some smart ***** think. We are saying the performance was totally unacceptable against Partick and we got lucky.

Yesterday was a super point and I was delighted with the performance but another like the Partick game and more fans will stop going. Look at attendances those are the facts folk are fed up simple as that.

Exactly, you get the 3 points walk away and not look too much into it, what all the panic, we didn't play well but so what? Many wont remember that come may, some folk want it all and unfortunately games like this happen.

ancient hibee
20-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Hopefully ICT got10/10 for artistic impression-no doubt their fans are delighted.

J-C
20-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Wasn't just the Partick game tho was it, it was the Euro farce and the 4-5 games prior, we may have had a wee unbeaten run but the football on show has been some of the worst for a while. Yesterday was an improvement against a good Celtic team and a good point gained but we now need to start playing that way and even better against the rest, not just another one off decent performance we've been used to from Fenlon.

My only annoyance yesterday was Fenlon saying he'd be happy with a point prior to the game, surely as the home side and being Hibs he should be saying we're looking to take the game to Celtic and are looking for all 3 points, happy with just the 1 point has been his problem, too negative at times.

SMAXXA
20-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Wasn't just the Partick game tho was it, it was the Euro farce and the 4-5 games prior, we may have had a wee unbeaten run but the football on show has been some of the worst for a while. Yesterday was an improvement against a good Celtic team and a good point gained but we now need to start playing that way and even better against the rest, not just another one off decent performance we've been used to from Fenlon.

My only annoyance yesterday was Fenlon saying he'd be happy with a point prior to the game, surely as the home side and being Hibs he should be saying we're looking to take the game to Celtic and are looking for all 3 points, happy with just the 1 point has been his problem, too negative at times.

Wouldnt all hibs people have been happy with a point against the home or away before a ball is kicked? Ask Celtic what they thought before playing barca.

J-C
20-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Wouldnt all hibs people have been happy with a point against the home or away before a ball is kicked? Ask Celtic what they thought before playing barca.

Yes we would but I'd like to see our manager being more optimistic about our chances rather than looking for a point before we've kicked a ball, after all we beat them last season and had a good record against them before the final.

Thecat23
20-10-2013, 05:43 PM

I agree and no matter how many results we grind out I still think Fenlon is very like Potter with Scotland. Tries to set us up not to lose and sometimes it's works but it's rank to watch. Folk on here can say its great to steel a win after being poor for 89 mins of a match but football fans will never accept that in a million years. Attendances don't lie. If we were worth watching we would have a much better average than we do now. Mowbray proved it and that football attracts punters. That's the cold hard facts.

Thecat23
20-10-2013, 05:44 PM

I'll be honest after playing a good Celtic side I'm happy with a point. Thought we deserved the point as well.

matty_f
20-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Yes we would but I'd like to see our manager being more optimistic about our chances rather than looking for a point before we've kicked a ball, after all we beat them last season and had a good record against them before the final.

Do you remember how we beat them last season?

SMAXXA
20-10-2013, 05:46 PM

A know what you mean mate

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2013, 06:06 PM

Hopefully ICT got10/10 for artistic impression-no doubt their fans are delighted.

If you are happy with how we have played for the vast majority of Fenlons tenure, then thats up to you.

Now i dont know what the crowd was yesterday, but from watching on the telly i could see huge gaps in our stands, do you wonder why thats the case?

I mean as andy keeps telling us, its one defeat in 8 or 9?

You can dismiss it all you like, but a lot of fans have been that scunnered with the type of football they have witnessed over the last few seasons, they are just not going.

Make fun, take the piss even call them fairweather fans or glory hunters, it makes no difference to me, but to ignore why they are not going to games is foolish.

As i said earlier, yesterday was very good but those same tactics have been employed against every club in the spfl, and like it or not thats whats driven folk away.

B.H.F.C
20-10-2013, 06:06 PM
I agree and no matter how many results we grind out I still think Fenlon is very like Potter with Scotland. Tries to set us up not to lose and sometimes it's works but it's rank to watch. Folk on here can say its great to steel a win after being poor for 89 mins of a match but football fans will never accept that in a million years. Attendances don't lie. If we were worth watching we would have a much better average than we do now. Mowbray proved it and that football attracts punters. That's the cold hard facts.

Agree with most of that. You just needed to look at how empty it was yesterday. Take in to account that we are actually one form teams in country in terms of results and it's one of our big games. It just goes to show that the results alone won't make people come back.

Stevie Reid
20-10-2013, 06:12 PM
According to the BBC there was an attendance of 14,220 yesterday. Not exactly a poor crowd, especially for a 12.30 game live on telly in the pissing rain.

rcarter1
20-10-2013, 06:21 PM
According to the BBC there was an attendance of 14,220 yesterday. Not exactly a poor crowd, especially for a 12.30 game live on telly in the pissing rain.

Celtic had 3900 ish, and that leave us 10300 ish. Thats pretty marginal for a Celtic game.

Stevie Reid
20-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Celtic had 3900 ish, and that leave us 10300 ish. Thats pretty marginal for a Celtic game.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it.

jgl07
20-10-2013, 06:36 PM

It is still better than average for a game against Celtic in recent years. There was a big crowd new year last season but generally it is in the order of 12,000 - 13,000.

JimBHibees
20-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Spot on an excellent point against a team with about 10 times the resources of us. Good spell in the second half where a wee bit more composure could have nicked another goal.

JimBHibees
20-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Yesterday wasn't great. Neither was it unexpected. We've played that exact same style (if you can call it that) against every team in the league so far this season.

But I fear this is just another one of those Yogi Hughes type of runs. Where it's only a matter of time before our fortune runs out and people begin to realize again that we're not really improving at all.

We've been very dogid which isn't a bad thing. But there has to be a mixture of football in there as well, and currently, we just don't have that.

It was a passionate performance with good physicality mixed with a desire not to be beaten. We defended very well and were only outdone when McGivern was off. We played some good stuff in spells and had some excellent performances from guys like KT and Ryan McGivern. I am staggered with some supposed Hibs fans who seem to find it so difficult to offer praise when it is due as they fill their boots when there are reasons to be critical. A bit of a joke really.

JimBHibees
20-10-2013, 07:05 PM
We were absolutely fine yesterday.

I'll be the 1st to criticise Fenlon and the team when they deserve it but they deserve plenty praise for yesterday.

Contrary to what some believe that is a very decent Celtic team and we came within 15 minutes of beating them. Ok it was backs to the walls stuff for long spells but they have a squad worth millions. I also thought we played some decent stuff in spells.

I was very quick to stick the boot in after the Partick game because that was piss poor but yesterday was exactly what i expected against Celtic and it was very good.

Agree word for word.

basehibby
20-10-2013, 07:23 PM

:agree: Personally, I didn't go purely because of the pishy KO time (nothing to do with PF even if we were crap against Partick) and I'm sure I'm not alone in that - a decent crowd in the context of recent times.

marinello59
20-10-2013, 07:26 PM
:agree: Personally, I didn't go purely because of the pishy KO time (nothing to do with PF even if we were crap against Partick) and I'm sure I'm not alone in that - a decent crowd in the context of recent times.

Not an ideal kick off time but does 2 and a half hours really make the difference between going and not going?

Holmesdale Hibs
20-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Yes we would but I'd like to see our manager being more optimistic about our Chances rather than looking for a point before we've kicked a ball, after all we beat them last season and had a good record against them before the final.

He said later in the same interview (on bbc website) something along the lines of he'd want to win the game but a point is still a decent result. I think he realised he was a bit too honest the first time and tried to backtrack with a more media friendly answer to the same question.

Personally, I don't have a problem with him saying he'd be happy with a point before kick-off. If he said otherwise then it would be BS and he'd have been slagged off for that as well. I see where you're coming from though, it's not exactly the kind of quote that'll have folk rushing to but a ticket for the next Celtic game.

Jonnyboy
20-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Can't help thinking that if we'd won the point the way we did but at Parkhead rather than ER there'd be less bleating about us not being good

Feed McGraw
20-10-2013, 08:05 PM
According to the BBC there was an attendance of 14,220 yesterday. Not exactly a poor crowd, especially for a 12.30 game live on telly in the pissing rain. I do not trust the BBC reporting in Scotland - as in they seem to get stuff wrong all the time. I do not think there were 14,220 at the match, even if all our ST`s were present, that would mean we had around 2,500 walk ups (not necessarily "walk ups" but you know what I mean) for a lunchtime k.o. on the telly. Something there doesn`t add up for me with the way things are just now.

Stevie Reid
20-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I do not trust the BBC reporting in Scotland - as in they seem to get stuff wrong all the time. I do not think there were 14,220 at the match, even if all our ST`s were present, that would mean we had around 2,500 walk ups (not necessarily "walk ups" but you know what I mean) for a lunchtime k.o. on the telly. Something there doesn`t add up for me with the way things are just now.

The BBC will simply be reporting what the club passed on.

Feed McGraw
20-10-2013, 08:19 PM
The BBC will simply be reporting what the club passed on. Well maybe they didn`t hear right :greengrin. Seriously though, I think someones got their wires crossed, I know ER is much bigger now but that crowd doesn`t sound right and didn`t LOOK right.

Hedlund12
20-10-2013, 08:22 PM

I give up. :brickwall You and me both mate..... I used to enjoy reading some of the posts/opinions on .net - not any more - I get more fun reading the small print on a credit card statement! And in response to some other posts - yes numbers are down in the crowds turning up at Easter Road but IMO this isn't all solely down to the style (or lack of style)of football being played. The economic decline has (again IMO) played a big part in declining attendances at most (if not all) football grounds(and probably other sports) in general!! This website should have a section called MFMF - moaning faced mudder futters...... Nice to see some good hearted upbeat Hibs fans doing some good in another thread - Cancer is Pants.

basehibby
20-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Not an ideal kick off time but does 2 and a half hours really make the difference between going and not going?

If I want it to yeah - added to the £28 price for something that's on the box anyway and the fact I'd have been going on my tod as opposed to watching it with some mates down the boozer - yup the 2 and a half hours made all the difference for me and I would imagine one or two thousand others.

erin go bragh
20-10-2013, 08:29 PM

Away end only holds 3500 no ?

Ggtth

Expecting Rain
20-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Have to agree with the opening post the performance wasn`t as fantastic as some are suggesting though the work rate and result against a team that should really hammer everybody in the league is more than welcome. If we had the same application against every team in the division second in the league would be a formality alas i cannot see that happening.:cb

NAE NOOKIE
20-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Well maybe they didn`t hear right :greengrin. Seriously though, I think someones got their wires crossed, I know ER is much bigger now but that crowd doesn`t sound right and didn`t LOOK right.

Got to agree with that. From my seat in the FF nearest the East the West stand had massive gaps at both ends and even at a bad angle you could see that the East past sect 43 was near enough empty.

A pretty poor turn out from us to be honest .... but having said that hats off to those who think supporting the team is just as important as getting Barcelona type football for their £28

Never mind ... things will be good when we start playing gooder.

Stantons Angel
20-10-2013, 08:32 PM
[its about time we started looking for the positives!!

There are times when i despair about you lot i really do!

We started this season on a downer and any time there seems to be any just any look of improvement some one starts to panic and woe is me!

Im not saying that Hibs are anywhere near the standard i would like them to be, but compared to earlier this season we have came some way in respect of improvement.

The manager took the brunt of the complaints and moans from all around us and has constantly asked the support to be patient whilst he starts to rebuild the team.

Over the last while we have only been beaten once in ten games. All the results have not been easy to watch but we have taken the points and gone forward.

Yesterday we took on the champions, who are still top of the league as we played them. They are undoubtedly the strongest team in Scotland and unfortunately have the utmostly infuriating manager that i have ever come accross.

We took them on and played them at their own game, our goal is one for the record books right enough. These are the types of goals that happen against us when we play the weegie teams so i for one took it quite happily. The team fought as a team and a few individual performances shone through.

Yes they pinned us back for most of the second half and we hardly got a look at the ball because of that. Our goalie was tremendous in keeping out chance after chance from them.

Only when our fullback was off field injured did they get up that wing and scored their goal, as good as it was.

Moaning meenie Lennon paid us no respect in his after match interview, saying we played differently than usual and went out to tackle his players. He also stated they had a big game on Tuesday that was important.

He put out his strongest team against us and thought he would walk all over us but they didnt! He gave us no respect for the teamworkor the hard work from all of our players.

Now the day after the game he is in the papers shooting his wee mouth off and spitting the dummy out again. Along with this we have our own supporters telling we were not good yesterday or in the last nine games we have played.

Why cant we as Hibs supporters just take the time to savour some good play a wee bit of controversey and a bit of the luck that often passes us buy?

We are all intelligent enough not to get carried away with things, we all know that there is still a huge amount of work to do but we still have to dampen the spirit of the game.

Why cant the original poster look at the content of his post and the replies he has prompted and give us a break, at least till monday!

There are not many teams in the league that can go to places and take points off teams in the league, but we have. Please give them a wee bit of support you never know it may help the lads get better together.

The next two matches are at home and are crucial to our season. The crowds have to turn out and push the team on to victory, there was a good atmosphere on Saturday at Easter Road where we kept them so quiet. Lets do it again and this time get your mates who have fell by the wayside out to support the team.

If we play well and give a good account of ourselves i hope to read some of the encouraging things you will write.

Hedlund12
20-10-2013, 08:41 PM

We started this season on a downer and any time there seems to be any just any look of improvement some one starts to panic and woe is me!

Im not saying that Hibs are anywhere near the standard i would like them to be, but compared to earlier this season we have came some way in respect of improvement.

The manager took the brunt of the complaints and moans from all around us and has constantly asked the support to be patient whilst he starts to rebuild the team.

Over the last while we have only been beaten once in ten games. All the results have not been easy to watch but we have taken the points and gone forward.

Yesterday we took on the champions, who are still top of the league as we played them. They are undoubtedly the strongest team in Scotland and unfortunately have the utmostly infuriating manager that i have ever come accross.

We took them on and played them at their own game, our goal is one for the record books right enough. These are the types of goals that happen against us when we play the weegie teams so i for one took it quite happily. The team fought as a team and a few individual performances shone through.

Yes they pinned us back for most of the second half and we hardly got a look at the ball because of that. Our goalie was tremendous in keeping out chance after chance from them.

Only when our fullback was off field injured did they get up that wing and scored their goal, as good as it was.

Moaning meenie Lennon paid us no respect in his after match interview, saying we played differently than usual and went out to tackle his players. He also stated they had a big game on Tuesday that was important.

He put out his strongest team against us and thought he would walk all over us but they didnt! He gave us no respect for the teamworkor the hard work from all of our players.

Now the day after the game he is in the papers shooting his wee mouth off and spitting the dummy out again. Along with this we have our own supporters telling we were not good yesterday or in the last nine games we have played.

Why cant we as Hibs supporters just take the time to savour some good play a wee bit of controversey and a bit of the luck that often passes us buy?

We are all intelligent enough not to get carried away with things, we all know that there is still a huge amount of work to do but we still have to dampen the spirit of the game.

Why cant the original poster look at the content of his post and the replies he has prompted and give us a break, at least till monday!

There are not many teams in the league that can go to places and take points off teams in the league, but we have. Please give them a wee bit of support you never know it may help the lads get better together.

The next two matches are at home and are crucial to our season. The crowds have to turn out and push the team on to victory, there was a good atmosphere on Saturday at Easter Road where we kept them so quiet. Lets do it again and this time get your mates who have fell by the wayside out to support the team.

If we play well and give a good account of ourselves i hope to read some of the encouraging things you will write.
:aok:

marinello59
20-10-2013, 08:55 PM
If I want it to yeah - added to the £28 price for something that's on the box anyway and the fact I'd have been going on my tod as opposed to watching it with some mates down the boozer - yup the 2 and a half hours made all the difference for me and I would imagine one or two thousand others.

Sorry, wasn't criticising, we all have our own priorities. The 24/7 lifestyle is maybe further away than we think. :greengrin

SMAXXA
20-10-2013, 09:03 PM

Thank god people like you still exist :top marks, some people on here make me despair they really do, really refreshing reading posts like this.

FitbaFolkKen
20-10-2013, 09:13 PM
http://vvcap.net/db/_Ns7Zbcutb_rUCKoE7Ow.htp

If we had sacked Fenlon after the Hearts game, I and probably most on here would have thought that was reasonably fair. If a new man had come in and taken the team to 5 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat after taking over from the 4 defeats at the start of the season they would have been hailed a miracle worker.

I think Fenlon deserves more credit than a new man would for turning this round, after the 4 defeats at the start of the season the heads must have been down etc... but he took it on the chin has noised up the media a bit and got the players fighting for the jersey again. I'm delighted with the turn around, yeah the football isn't amazing all the time but watching a team with a bit of fight at Easter Road that doesn't get bullied is nice.

It's not fair he is getting a hard time now, yes he needs to keep it up over an extended period of time but we are in a much better place than we have been for a long time.

Well done Pat, keep it up!

B.H.F.C
20-10-2013, 10:14 PM

If we had sacked Fenlon after the Hearts game, I and probably most on here would have thought that was reasonably fair. If a new man had come in and taken the team to 5 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat after taking over from the 4 defeats at the start of the season they would have been hailed a miracle worker.

I think Fenlon deserves more credit than a new man would for turning this round, after the 4 defeats at the start of the season the heads must have been down etc... but he took it on the chin has noised up the media a bit and got the players fighting for the jersey again. I'm delighted with the turn around, yeah the football isn't amazing all the time but watching a team with a bit of fight at Easter Road that doesn't get bullied is nice.

It's not fair he is getting a hard time now, yes he needs to keep it up over an extended period of time but we are in a much better place than we have been for a long time.

Its a valid point about how it's turned round from the start of the season. Looking at that period of results in isolation looks good. However, the empty seats show that despite the good recent run a lot of people just won't change their opinion on Fenlon.

For a lot of people there is just too much history with him. Stats can be twisted to suit whatever argument. Some people will look at it as 1 defeat in 9. Some people will look at it as two home wins in the league this calendar year. If we keep up the ratio of only losing 1 game in 9 for the rest of the season, not that I think we will, then it'll be the best league season in a long time. We've got an absolutely great chance of winning the league cup if we can keep our nerve a week on Wednesday as well.

I said in the league cup quarter final thread that I really believe the Hearts game is a defining one for Fenlon. If we lose to that Hearts team on our own patch in a cup quarter it undoes so much of the good work that has been done over the last 6 weeks or so. I think that would be one massive defeat too many.

As for yesterday I have no problem with the way we played. Against Celtic you just need to fight and scrap and hope that you get a result. You are never going to outplay Celtic. Absolutely no doubt that performances do need to improve against the rest of the teams in the league though. We need to be better on the ball and try to be a bit more free flowing. Hopefully the confidence from the results we've had starts to bring that out.

--------
20-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Can't help thinking that if we'd won the point the way we did but at Parkhead rather than ER there'd be less bleating about us not being good

What about if we'd gone out to play open, attractive, attacking football and got horsed 4-0?

What would folks be saying about Pat and the team then? :rolleyes:

hibeedonald
20-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Agree with that set up v Celtic, but I want to see us take to the game to Aberdeen on Sat. Still not convinced by Hibs at the moment feel we have been pretty lucky this season, time will tell.

The Green Goblin
20-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Thought we played really well yesterday. Really fought for everything, played as a team, well organised and some excellent passing. A thoroughly deserved point.

monktonharp
20-10-2013, 10:40 PM
I was at Partick, (sorry thistle) and it was dire. never expected us to perform like that , and yet we got the points. thems the breks, we've played a lot better and lost when it looked like we should have won. as for yesterday, we set out our stall and played to our strenths. we got in their face and scunnered that wee torn faced tosser in their dugout which pleased me immensely! well done Pat Fenlon. hopefully we can continue to use our midfield in the same manner for the next 2 games at ER. we've been very lightweight in the midfield area for many a day.the other teams in the league are in no way as strong or skillfull as Celtic, let's get intae them in the same manner!

monktonharp
20-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Agree with that set up v Celtic, but I want to see us take to the game to Aberdeen on Sat. Still not convinced by Hibs at the moment feel we have been pretty lucky this season, time will tell. could be a big battle against the Dons. I noticed that they had 4 bookings yesterday, as opposed to the Arabs none.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2013, 11:06 PM
What about if we'd gone out to play open, attractive, attacking football and got horsed 4-0?

What would folks be saying about Pat and the team then? :rolleyes:

They'd probably be saying he'd got his tactics completely wrong, why would any manager in this league go toe to toe with Celtic? :confused:

Brightside
21-10-2013, 06:48 AM
Fenlon played the game perfectly against Celtic and is rightly getting the plaudits. If we could get the players at that level every weeks, and if Pat can change to a more attacking style against the "lesser" teams in the league we could easily challange for 2nd place.

southsider
21-10-2013, 07:52 AM
The two full backs from Partick would be really good signings come the transfer window. They both bomb forward and can put a tackle in too.

Andy74
21-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Fenlon played the game perfectly against Celtic and is rightly getting the plaudits. If we could get the players at that level every weeks, and if Pat can change to a more attacking style against the "lesser" teams in the league we could easily challange for 2nd place.

I can only assume some people didn't see the St Johnstone, St Mirren or Stranraer games?

Brightside
21-10-2013, 10:02 AM
I can only assume some people didn't see the St Johnstone, St Mirren or Stranraer games?

I assume a lot of people didnt see those games Andy. I did. We were good in patches in those games, and we were awful in patches during those games.

Hibrandenburg
23-10-2013, 05:09 AM

Aren't we already challenging for 2nd spot?

Andy74
23-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Aren't we already challenging for 2nd spot?

Yeah if you go out to at least 15 games back the average points accumulation would have had us second or third in recent seasons. Going a bit further out we slip a little.

We didn't have a great start but we are now back in a good position to push for 2nd.

Islington Hibs
23-10-2013, 07:12 PM

Great post!!! No more to say.