PDA

View Full Version : NHC Chelsea's controversial goal against Cardiff

hfc rd
20-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Just seen Hazard's goal yesterday against Cardiff. A lot of controversy surrounding it. Cardiff GK Marshall is in control of the ball with his hands. He bounces it off the ground and from there E'too challenges for it and wins it, which then results in Hazard scoring. But the big question is, should that goal have stood?
According to FIFA Law 12, this is what it states in regards to a GK being in control of the ball:

A GK is considered to be in control of the ball:

- While in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air.
- When a GK has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot be challenged by an opponent.

So looking at that, the goal shouldn't have really stood.
Thoughts?

magpie1892
20-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Just seen Hazard's goal yesterday against Cardiff. A lot of controversy surrounding it. Cardiff GK Marshall is in control of the ball with his hands. He bounces it off the ground and from there E'too challenges for it and wins it, which then results in Hazard scoring. But the big question is, should that goal have stood?
According to FIFA Law 12, this is what it states in regards to a GK being in control of the ball:

- When a GK has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot be challenged by an opponent.

Thoughts?

Indirect free kick to Cardiff.

Biggie
20-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Thoughts?
Yeah foul...ref thought he'd dropped it.....shades of George best against England !

magpie1892
20-10-2013, 10:31 AM
ref thought he'd dropped it

Ref didn't see it, was looking away at the time. Linesman thought it was a legal challenge.

wearethehibs
20-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I know the rules say the goal shouldn't have stood but I don't agree with it.

Why does a goalkeeper have to bounce the ball? They don't but they all do for some reason. So for me this is a unneeded action and if they get caught out by doing it then tough luck.

Onceinawhile
20-10-2013, 10:34 AM
I remember when we beat hearts 2-1 at tynie (O'Connor and Sheils) Derek Riordan did something similar, except he knicked it as Gordon was dropping the ball to kick it. Was disallowed then as well.

No chance that goal should have stood.

magpie1892
20-10-2013, 10:36 AM

Write to FIFA.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Shocking decision by the ref. Did anyone see the Jack Wiltshere goal for Arsenal, now is that just a piece of beauty you could watch every day? :top marks

matty_f
20-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Shocking decision by the ref. Did anyone see the Jack Wiltshere goal for Arsenal, now is that just a piece of beauty you could watch every day? :top marks

:agree:

marti1875
20-10-2013, 10:42 AM
It wasn't the ref's call as he never saw it. According to Match of the Day, Sky news etc it was the linesman who gave it as he said he thought the keeper had "dropped" the ball thus not being in any control of it....

brian6-2
20-10-2013, 10:44 AM
seen it earlier, was never a goal.

probs deserves its own thread but arsenals goal v norwich?? how good. one of the best of all time in the prem if im being honest.

Hibercelona
20-10-2013, 11:02 AM

Why does a goalkeeper have to bounce the ball? They don't but they all do for some reason. So for me this is a unneeded action and if they get caught out by doing it then tough luck.

They do it to check the condition of the ball.

The last thing a goalkeeper would want is to miskick the ball, because it had gone flat or something.

It's just an instinctive thing that goalkeepers do, and it should be allowed as long as they're not time wasting.

The goal should not have stood.

Keith_M
20-10-2013, 11:38 AM
It is controversial but nowhere near giving a goal for a shot that hit the outside of the netting, then fell through a hole into the back of the net.

How gutted would you be to get that given against you. Can you imagine that happening against Celtc? It would be World War Three :greengrin

HibbyAndy
20-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Unbelievable goal

hfc rd
20-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Another thing noted, when Eden Hazard takes the shot to score, it deflects off Samuel E'too who is lying on the ground in an offside position. So pretty much, there are two ways that the goal should have been disallowed.

wearethehibs
20-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Write to FIFA.

Will do

wearethehibs
20-10-2013, 12:09 PM
They do it to check the condition of the ball.

The last thing a goalkeeper would want is to miskick the ball, because it had gone flat or something.

It's just an instinctive thing that goalkeepers do, and it should be allowed as long as they're not time wasting.

The goal should not have stood.

They can pick the ball up, its already in their hands. Why do you need to bounce it to see if its flat?

I realise its just an instinctive thing but its not something that they have to do.

magpie1892
20-10-2013, 02:09 PM
They can pick the ball up, its already in their hands. Why do you need to bounce it to see if its flat?

I realise its just an instinctive thing but its not something that they have to do.

Jeez man, give it up. How can you judge the bounce of the ball by having it in your hands, through goalkeeping gloves? You can't, hence bounce it off the turf.

GavinHarris 10
20-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Should have been an indirect free kick to Cardiff with a yellow card to eto for unsporting behaviour/ delaying the restart of play

PeterboroHibee
20-10-2013, 03:46 PM

I agree, if he wants to take the risk and bounce it right beside an opposition player then he should have to deal with the consequences if that player reacts. I also dont think if the keeper is bouncing the ball they are 'in control' of it, but I imagine most wouldnt do it right beside an opponent in the first place.

In saying that, the fact it is a rule means that the decision shouldnt have stood, but I think it was a fairly honest mistake by the ref - MOTD showed he turned his head right at the moment Eto'o got a touch on the ball.

lapsedhibee
20-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Can't be long before that daft bloke Herbert pipes up that people are only wanting it disallowed because it was a black player who took the ball off a white goalie.

MWHIBBIES
20-10-2013, 06:27 PM

Why does a goalkeeper have to bounce the ball? They don't but they all do for some reason. So for me this is a unneeded action and if they get caught out by doing it then tough luck.Because he isn't allowed to have it in his hands for more than 6 seconds probably. If he doesn't bounce it he gives away a free kick.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2013, 06:36 PM
I agree, if he wants to take the risk and bounce it right beside an opposition player then he should have to deal with the consequences if that player reacts. I also dont think if the keeper is bouncing the ball they are 'in control' of it, but I imagine most wouldnt do it right beside an opponent in the first place.

In saying that, the fact it is a rule means that the decision shouldnt have stood, but I think it was a fairly honest mistake by the ref - MOTD showed he turned his head right at the moment Eto'o got a touch on the ball.

The officials got it wrong, there should be no risk in bouncing the ball? If the ref and linesman were doing their jobs properly, the goal is not allowed.

It matters not a jot if you or anyone else think the keeper does not have the ball under control, because the rules clearly state they have.

There are many rules i don't agree with, but just because i don't agree with them doesn't mean i can disregard them when i feel like it.

mim
20-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Because he isn't allowed to have it in his hands for more than 6 seconds probably. If he doesn't bounce it he gives away a free kick.

Bouncing the ball doesn't restart the 6 second clock.

PeterboroHibee
20-10-2013, 07:18 PM
The officials got it wrong, there should be no risk in bouncing the ball? If the ref and linesman were doing their jobs properly, the goal is not allowed.

It matters not a jot if you or anyone else think the keeper does not have the ball under control, because the rules clearly state they have.

There are many rules i don't agree with, but just because i don't agree with them doesn't mean i can disregard them when i feel like it.

I said in my post that according to the rules they got it wrong though :confused:? That doesnt mean I cant have an opinion about the rule itself!

MWHIBBIES
20-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Bouncing the ball doesn't restart the 6 second clock.Really, fair enough, Marshall is an idiot but it still shouldn't have stood

Holmesdale Hibs
20-10-2013, 07:57 PM

I agree. When I saw it on MOTD, I didn't get what the fuss was about and I was surprised when Hanson and Shearer said it was a foul.

So clearly Cardiff have been screwed by a terrible decision but it was so blatant I wonder if the ref and/or Eto'o knew the rule at the time.

Pretty Boy
20-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Probably worth noting that Marshall was very lucky not to be sent off for deliberately catching the ball about a yard outside his box not long before.

Rules are rules though and that shouldn't have counted. He's clearly bouncing the ball as opposed to having dropped it.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2013, 11:00 PM
I said in my post that according to the rules they got it wrong though :confused:? That doesnt mean I cant have an opinion about the rule itself!

I agree, you can have an opinion on the rule or any rule.

jacomo
20-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Can't be long before that daft bloke Herbert pipes up that people are only wanting it disallowed because it was a black player who took the ball off a white goalie.

:tee hee: