PDA

View Full Version : Paddy Fenlon

Nevi_SOL
19-10-2013, 08:13 PM
As others have said on other thread's credit where its due to the man. I'm not saying we are the finished article but he took the flack when we were playing bad so he deserves credit for today and recent games. Next weeks a big test but I for one am confident we have the ability to get the 3 points

Boyle89
19-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Begs the question as to why have we not been playing like that from the start of the season. Think that is the best we have played so far as regards to passing and linking up. Also very sound defensively aswell so credit to PF for this result.

IberianHibernian
19-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Begs the question as to why have we not been playing like that from the start of the season. Think that is the best we have played so far as regards to passing and linking up. Also very sound defensively aswell so credit to PF for this result.Is there a team in the world that doesn`t raise its game against a supposedly stronger team ? Having 2 weeks to prepare will have helped especially with so many players signed in summer . Despite criticism here of PF he has consistently shown he can motivate team after a bad result / performance ( win against Celtic last December 3 days after home defeat against Ross C for example ) so it was o surprise to see team highly - motivated today ( and other days ) .

SMAXXA
19-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Begs the question as to why have we not been playing like that from the start of the season. Think that is the best we have played so far as regards to passing and linking up. Also very sound defensively aswell so credit to PF for this result.

Don't really think it does, we have a largely new squad and it takes time to find your best 11 and what will work, it's natural and fair to give people a chance to prove their worth, unfortunately not enough proved collectivley it was the right team IMO. Only recently have we seen a bit more of this and I'm sure Pat is clearer on what his best 11 is now. Until some of the injured players come back which will give him further food for thought, Harris and cairney particularly.

Boyle89
19-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Don't really think it does, we have a largely new squad and it takes time to find your best 11 and what will work, it's natural and fair to give people a chance to prove their worth, unfortunately not enough proved collectivley it was the right team IMO. Only recently have we seen a bit more of this and I'm sure Pat is clearer on what his best 11 is now. Until some of the injured players come back which will give him further food for thought, Harris and cairney particularly.
Just because the players haven't played together before doesn't mean they can't play the ball on the deck and fight like they did today. We were so solid on the tackle today. The perfect example being the goal where KT made a superb tackle in the middle of the pitch and it set up heff. Think this is probably our strongest 11 that played today with maybe harris coming in for zoubir. Wish it was next Sat already!

wookie70
19-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Good spirit in the team and we set up the only way we really could against Celtc. When we were under the cosh in the second half Pat changed Zoubir to go through the middle with Heff. For the next 10 mins or so we spent a good deal more time in the Celtc half and looked good on the ball. We were really unlucky with the McGivern injury today.

Pat's plan was good and gave us a decent chance of points against the best team in Scotland. The players bought into it and really gave their all. Not much more you can ask of a manager or players in the circumstances and obviously the Hibs fans were very happy with their efforts today.

IWasThere2016
19-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I think Jimmy Nick must be having an impact also.

SMAXXA
19-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Is he starting to change people's opinions on here yet or is there still a fair bit to go before this happens? IMO we are on the right track and steadily improving which is good to see.

i still get a bit peeved off with the media going on about how bad we have been this season yet we were joint 4th gong into today, despite some poor performances and we have only lost 3 games, 2 in the first 2 weeks and 1 in the last 9 games.

Ricky Bobby
19-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I am never normally in the ground early enough to see the players warm up, but i was today and it was as professional a session as i have seen from hibs.
Very organised and the players showed great intensity which seemed to carry forward into the game. I don't know if that's been since Nicol came in, but i was impressed.
Pat has shown a lot of bottle to continue to stay positive and things seem to be slowly turning his way. I for one would be happy to be proved wrong if the improvement continues and he turns out to be a success.

kentao
19-10-2013, 09:45 PM
I gave him abuse after the Partick performance so i better give him some credit. I dunno what he done with the boys during the international break but i like the way this team plays :D

Please keep this style

Pretty Boy
19-10-2013, 09:52 PM
He got it spot on today and i enjoyed how we playee. Solid, gritty and we played good, quick football in spells.

If he keeps this up then i'll be delighted to eat my words. The real test really is the next few weeks as raising our game against Celtic is one thing, maintaining that every week is another.

stoneyburn hibs
19-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Credit where its due, Pat set up the team perfectly today, we where always going to be on the back foot but as a team they played to the best of their ability. It will be a good measure as to where we are next Saturday.
Dont know if anybody else heard it but there was a guy called Ericthehibby on the BBC phone in, slated the performance and players, pissed me right off, no need.

Ricky Bobby
19-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Credit where its due, Pat set up the team perfectly today, we where always going to be on the back foot but as a team they played to the best of their ability. It will be a good measure as to where we are next Saturday.
Dont know if anybody else heard it but there was a guy called Ericthehibby on the BBC phone in, slated the performance and players, pissed me right off, no need.

I heard this muppets comments on the radio, a pissed off yam looking to make mischief i think.

J-C
19-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Credit today, tactics spot on but still annoys me with his subs,when and who. As has been said the team raised their game against better opposition, lets see what happens over the next few games and hopefully the performances continue to improve, the team look like they are starting to gel.

stoneyburn hibs
19-10-2013, 10:30 PM
I heard this muppets comments on the radio, a pissed off yam looking to make mischief i think.

Hope it was a yam as he will be extra pissed off after todays results :thumbsup:

c31
19-10-2013, 10:30 PM
He needs to win in the cup game if he does that then I think he will continue to get more fans off his back, if he doesn't then he will be hounded again.

matty_f
19-10-2013, 10:34 PM
I think when you look at his recent record, is it one loss in eight games now? It's hard not to have an improved opinion of him. I genuinely hope he continues to win people over.

Winning the cup game is critical, but our league position and current form would mean that he'd survive a cup defeat, imho.

Northernhibee
19-10-2013, 10:38 PM
I think when you look at his recent record, is it one loss in eight games now? It's hard not to have an improved opinion of him. I genuinely hope he continues to win people over.

Winning the cup game is critical, but our league position and current form would mean that he'd survive a cup defeat, imho.

One in nine IIRC.

Tbh I'd be up for offering an extention of two seasons if he makes it ten against the sheep then beats that lot.

Just_Jimmy
19-10-2013, 11:05 PM

Nah sorry. Form is good. Performances are still so so at best. Today aside.

If we lose in the cup he should go. The criticism i have of him is poor football usually, reactive rather than proactive subs and his teams have generally been found wanting in all the big games.

He MUST win this cup game. Celtic are out abd we have a home tie against a weak spl team.

Northernhibee
19-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Nah sorry. Form is good. Performances are still so so at best. Today aside.

If we lose in the cup he should go. The criticism i have of him is poor football usually, reactive rather than proactive subs and his teams have generally been found wanting in all the big games.

He MUST win this cup game. Celtic are out abd we have a home tie against a weak spl team.

IMO it would be absolutely ridiculous if he got punted if he lost the cup game given recent league form and a decent cup record.

Pretty Boy
19-10-2013, 11:20 PM
IMO it would be absolutely ridiculous if he got punted if he lost the cup game given recent league form and a decent cup record.

This.

Although jury is still out on the new contract imo.

Steve-O
19-10-2013, 11:27 PM
I thought we played well defensively but had very little going forward? The goal was offside and we barely had a sniff at goal the rest of the game?

We pressed the ball well but after they equalised there was only going to be one winner. Thankfully we held on.

HoboHarry
19-10-2013, 11:54 PM
It would be ludicrous if we punted him period. He has only had two years compared to, for instance, Terry Butcher who has had five (including a relegation) to make Caley the team they are now. I have never once doubted he would get us there in time.

Miguel
20-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Every time we get a bad result, people slate him. When we get a good one, people praise him. Fans are fickle.
Fenlon is good in parts, not in others, pretty typical of what you'd expect at this level. He's out of contract at the end of the season and we can make a better judgement then, with a couple of seasons and a bit behind him.

Steve-O
20-10-2013, 12:14 AM
My frustration is that we didn't really have a go at Celtic in an attacking sense. Of course I've not been much around Edinburgh since 2007, a time when having a go and beating Celtic was not that uncommon. Certainly this 'backs to the wall' sort of performance was not what we were about.

basehibby
20-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Fenlon got his tactics spot on today for me. I think he's equipped us pretty well to play against the likes of Celtic with good DMs like Thomson in particular and the ability to hit on the break. We've struggled at times when playing teams WE need to break down a bit - on the whole though results are showing he's getting it right on balance and that some of the criticism has been premature and OTT.
The style has been stuffy and unattractive at times but that's been improving as players like Craig, Zoubir and Heffernan have got into their stride and will hopefully get better still with the likes of Harris and Cairney pitching in.

Winston Ingram
20-10-2013, 11:12 AM
As others have said on other thread's credit where its due to the man. I'm not saying we are the finished article but he took the flack when we were playing bad so he deserves credit for today and recent games. Next weeks a big test but I for one am confident we have the ability to get the 3 points

I'm sorry can't agree with this. Even though we fluked a win at Partick, the performance was rancid and pretty similar to a lot of displays under him.

His decision to continually play Robertson & Craig wide is hindering the team & those players. We've never played decent football under him and I'm scratching my head to think of a game which we have won & come away thinking that we thoroughly deserved it.

I think I'm right in saying he's out of contract at the end of the season. I'd be very surprised if he gets a new one

SunshineOnLeith
20-10-2013, 11:35 AM
It's taken him longer than it should have, but if he's getting us going now and starts to make the best of the (very good) squad he's put together then there's no reason not to keep him on. If we bin him at the end of the season and get someone new in, it'll just be another 18 months of 'transitional period', 'get his own players in' etc. Pat's already got these things out of the way and if (and it's a big IF), we manage to avoid our usual post new year slump this season, then I'd keep him on.

Yes, there's been bad times and it has taken him far too long to get to where we are, but a decision on renewing his contract should be made based on going forward, not looking back. I remember Dundee Utd fans calling for Levein's head and he turned them around!

Northernhibee
20-10-2013, 11:38 AM
It's taken him longer than it should have, but if he's getting us going now and starts to make the best of the (very good) squad he's put together then there's no reason not to keep him on. If we bin him at the end of the season and get someone new in, it'll just be another 18 months of 'transitional period', 'get his own players in' etc. Pat's already got these things out of the way and if (and it's a big IF), we manage to avoid our usual post new year slump this season, then I'd keep him on.

Yes, there's been bad times and it has taken him far too long to get to where we are, but a decision on renewing his contract should be made based on going forward, not looking back. I remember Dundee Utd fans calling for Levein's head and he turned them around!

To be fair, I think he's not taken that long considering the total shambles that he inherited - we were absolutely brutal beyond belief under Calderclown.

Keith_M
20-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Oh dear, not another Fenlon thread

:offski:

brian6-2
20-10-2013, 11:45 AM
fenlon out

know it all .net members in

Heisenberg
20-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Fair play to him he's done well recently. It'll take a full seasons worth of it and a top three or four finish to alter my opinion though.

SMAXXA
20-10-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm sorry can't agree with this. Even though we fluked a win at Partick, the performance was rancid and pretty similar to a lot of displays under him.

His decision to continually play Robertson & Craig wide is hindering the team & those players. We've never played decent football under him and I'm scratching my head to think of a game which we have won & come away thinking that we thoroughly deserved it.

I think I'm right in saying he's out of contract at the end of the season. I'd be very surprised if he gets a new one

Hindering us? Even if you have a look at most fans on here raving about both Craig and Robbo? Add to that the praise Thomo is getting which playing those other 2 out there's allowing Thomo and another wether OTJ or Taiwo :confused:

Liam89
20-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Fenlon to stay and a new contract please, can't be arsed with getting another calderwood in and ruining all of fenlons good work. He's doing a great job this season bar the first couple of games. He's built a great spl side that will compete instead of us finishing bottom 6 again.

rcarter1
20-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Yesterday was entertaining, and the tactics were right, but the entertainment came from standing up to a far far better team, making great tackles and goal line blocks, and having the odd attack. Celtic are the only team that kind of game would be acceptable. If Aberdeen do the same to us, we will be up in arms. Bar the St Mirren game we have not dominated a game in the SPL. I believe Pat is moving us forward, but we are a few players still from being a really decent SPL side. If Zoubir, Harris, Handling etc can develop and add a bit of attacking threat then great, but really would like to see us get a pacy option in January (if the budget is there). If we do sign anything other than a pacy player, I will be perplexed.

Hibrandenburg
20-10-2013, 12:43 PM
It would be ludicrous if we punted him period. He has only had two years compared to, for instance, Terry Butcher who has had five (including a relegation) to make Caley the team they are now. I have never once doubted he would get us there in time.

Haven't you heard? Historians now claim Rome was built in a day.

Andy74
20-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Hindering us? Even if you have a look at most fans on here raving about both Craig and Robbo? Add to that the praise Thomo is getting which playing those other 2 out there's allowing Thomo and another wether OTJ or Taiwo :confused:

I don't think it's really worth it any more on here.

Keith_M
20-10-2013, 12:53 PM

...and yet you still try :thumbsup:

Hibrandenburg
20-10-2013, 12:54 PM

It's like preaching to the blind Andy. Recent results would suggest that we're actually starting to turn the corner but there are always those who will find new and inventive ways to stick the boot into PF.

Some have hung their reputation on PF failing and are therefore relieved when they can point out something negative to support their own "superior footballing knowledge". Don't hold your breath waiting for them to admit it though, let them carry on digging.

Sas_The_Hibby
20-10-2013, 12:55 PM

It was very shoddy workmanship though - have you seen the state of the Forum these days?!

Hibrandenburg
20-10-2013, 12:59 PM
It was very shoddy workmanship though - have you seen the state of the Forum these days?!

It was good while it lasted though!

Keith_M
20-10-2013, 01:00 PM

If Fenlon was Ceaser, they would never have invaded the known world. They would have just sat back and defended what they had.

:greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
20-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Probably like a fair number of fans, I'm not entirely convinced by Fenlon's tactics overall, but I don't think he's been a disaster either.

One thing I would say is that, ok he maybe gets it wrong sometimes, but at least he looks interested in doing well, for himself and for the club, as opposed to Calderwood who looked like he had no interest whatsoever.

In short I'm certainly willing to give Fenlon the benefit of the doubt for this season at the very least. Talk of him being punted if we lose one game against Hearts is just stupid IMO.

Hibrandenburg
20-10-2013, 01:02 PM
If Fenlon was Ceaser, they would never have invaded the known world. They would have just sat back and defended what they had.

Even the Romans built their city walls before they trashed the known world Keith, you build from the bottom up mate.

Sas_The_Hibby
20-10-2013, 01:07 PM

But they'd probably still be mid table in the Imperial League, as opposed to being relegated by the Visigoths....

Just_Jimmy
20-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Probably like a fair number of fans, I'm not entirely convinced by Fenlon's tactics overall, but I don't think he's been a disaster either.

One thing I would say is that, ok he maybe gets it wrong sometimes, but at least he looks interested in doing well, for himself and for the club, as opposed to Calderwood who looked like he had no interest whatsoever.

In short I'm certainly willing to give Fenlon the benefit of the doubt for this season at the very least. Talk of him being punted if we lose one game against Hearts is just stupid IMO.

I don't doubt he's interested.

It's not one game though is it? He's ready lost to this utterly pathetic Hearts team. He's lead us to two of the worst results ever, one in our biggest game potetially. He also lost without turning up, in the final last year.

That would be ok if the highs with him were worth it but they aren't. He flatlines with boring football and mediocre results. Then he throws in a completely unacceptable result. Hes done ok lately. I accept that. I also dont think he will lose the cup game fwiw. If he does he should go.

He wont be here next season. The board are just seeing out his contract.

JJP
20-10-2013, 01:37 PM
It would be an awful decision not to renew Fenlon's contract when, if we keep going in the direction we are, we will have improved each season he has been here. Especially with the loss of Leigh Griffiths' goals this season.

Keith_M
20-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Even the Romans built their city walls before they trashed the known world Keith, you build from the bottom up mate.

You keep my bottom out of this! I've heard about you army types, all snug in the barracks.

:wink:

p.s. My comment about Fenlon was a joke. You've been in Germany so long you're losing your sense of humour.

:na na:

Hibrandenburg
20-10-2013, 04:26 PM
You keep my bottom out of this!

I've heard about you army types, all snug in the barracks.

:wink:

p.s. My comment about Fenlon was a joke. You've been in Germany so long you're losing your sense of humour.

I know it was in jest but I wanted to make you look a twat. Kinda backfired :greengrin

Keith_M
20-10-2013, 04:26 PM
I know it was in jest but I wanted to make you look a twat. Kinda backfired :greengrin

Thanks but I'm perfectly capable of making myself look a twat :wink:

Hibrandenburg
20-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks but I'm perfectly capable of making myself look a twat :wink:

Here's to that and no shame in it. If there's one thing worse than looking a twat in public it's folks who''re always worried about looking a twat.

Surprised the sweary filter hasn't scrambled twat. I'll say it a bit more before the twats change it. Twat, twat twat! :greengrin

Onion
20-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Fenlon has not turned into a decent manager overnight. This is still about getting through this season as painlessly as we can, get rid and get a decent manager into the club for the first time in 5 years. That should be the Board's No1 priority and they should be laying the ground for that now.

jacomo
20-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Fair comparison with the Arabs, who like us had churned through a lot of managers in a short period of time before appointing Levein.

Everybody wants a bit of stability at Hibs, PF has benefited from this as if the 2012 SC result had happened under Mixu or Yogi they surely would have been punted soon after. PF has clung on and hopefully we are now going to see the benefits of that.

Nevi_SOL
20-10-2013, 06:18 PM

I never said it was a good performance but we came away with the 3 points. I dont think I would be the only one who would take that every time.

st mirren at home?

I think it depends hownthis season goes, im not fenlon-mad I was one who wanted him away. All the post was I dont think he is getting the credit he deserves.

SMAXXA
21-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Did I hear right that we have the same amount of points this seaso as we had at this stage last season? What was the census last year on how well we started can anyone remember? Be interesting to compare.

Andy74
21-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Did I hear right that we have the same amount of points this seaso as we had at this stage last season? What was the census last year on how well we started can anyone remember? Be interesting to compare.

We started well really and it was acknowledged.

As I've just said on the PM board, what we didn't have was anyone outwith our first 11.

McPake got injured and it was a blow, Deegan got hooked and was never the same, Clancy was injured, Cairney and Wotherspoon lost form but we had no other options.

I think we are in a better place to keep things going and to finish a lot higher than last year.

Perhaps people can't recall anymore just how bad we had become under CC.

Peevemor
21-10-2013, 02:47 PM
http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premier-league/2012-2013/table/2012-10-21

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premiership/2013-2014/table

SMAXXA
21-10-2013, 02:48 PM
http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premier-league/2012-2013/table/2012-10-21

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premiership/2013-2014/table

Cant access this on ma iPad can u copy and,paste?

Peevemor
21-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Cant access this on ma iPad can u copy and,paste?

Basically

Last year P10 W4 D3 L3 F17 A15
This year P10 W4 D3 L3 F9 A9

Andy74
21-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Basically

The additional goals probably helped generally. Lost a lot too though!

khib70
21-10-2013, 03:17 PM
We started well really and it was acknowledged.

As I've just said on the PM board, what we didn't have was anyone outwith our first 11.

McPake got injured and it was a blow, Deegan got hooked and was never the same, Clancy was injured, Cairney and Wotherspoon lost form but we had no other options.

I think we are in a better place to keep things going and to finish a lot higher than last year.

Perhaps people can't recall anymore just how bad we had become under CC.
Yes we can - it's just that some of us don't use it as a benchmark to big up the mediocrity and occasional rank badness we've had to put up with for most of PF's tenure.

He got it right against Celtc. They were the right tactics and he deserves full credit for that, as do the players for doing the job for him. But he uses the same tactics against everyone, and that's just not good enough. Containing Celtc is fine, and well done, but I expect us to compete, not contain, against Aberdeen and Hearts at home.

SMAXXA
21-10-2013, 03:24 PM
The additional goals probably helped generally. Lost a lot too though!

So a couple of goals worse of tHan last year.

We're we no out the cup this time last year tae?

The Modfather
21-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Basically

Proof that we are worse than last season, just look at the goal difference! I'm off to get my pitch fork and burn the Fenlon effigy :devil:

Andy74
21-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Yes we can - it's just that some of us don't use it as a benchmark to big up the mediocrity and occasional rank badness we've had to put up with for most of PF's tenure.

He got it right against Celtc. They were the right tactics and he deserves full credit for that, as do the players for doing the job for him. But he uses the same tactics against everyone, and that's just not good enough. Containing Celtc is fine, and well done, but I expect us to compete, not contain, against Aberdeen and Hearts at home.

So we contained St Johnstone and St Mirren? Maybe Stranraer?

147lothian
21-10-2013, 03:51 PM
We are badly missing Harris, I expect a different game plan when he returns, so far I think Fenlon has done ok with the players that are available to him

ancient hibee
21-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Surely containing is competing is it not-we were within 10 minutes of winning the game how competetive do we have to be.Stopping the other team scoring is surely a way of winning the game.

khib70
22-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Surely containing is competing is it not-we were within 10 minutes of winning the game how competetive do we have to be.Stopping the other team scoring is surely a way of winning the game.
Eh, no it isn't. It's a way of not losing it. We were within ten minutes of winning the game because we scored a goal. You don't score, you don't win. See Ross County home game , and ICT away, Hearts at the Wongadome, for a start. Since then r, ICT have been turned over twice by sides who actually attempted to beat them, and Hearts by just about everyone..

There were one or two good, positive attacking moves on Saturday, and credit for that, but I suspect PF will soon put a stop to that nonsense.

Thecat23
22-10-2013, 08:58 AM
So we contained St Johnstone and St Mirren? Maybe Stranraer?

That's only three teams Andy and out those three only St. Johnstone were decent. Also they played well for large parts of that game as well. St Mirren were bottom and rotten with zero shots at our goal. Stranraer gave us a bit of a game although we were always in control i have to say. Bu they are a lower league team so I'd expect a few goals. How do you honestly explain 2 home league wins in 2013? I've still not seen you answer this? Surely you can see why folk are frustrated at the way we have played at home in the league?

SMAXXA
22-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Eh, no it isn't. It's a way of not losing it. We were within ten minutes of winning the game because we scored a goal. You don't score, you don't win. See Ross County home game , and ICT away, Hearts at the Wongadome, for a start. Since then r, ICT have been turned over twice by sides who actually attempted to beat them, and Hearts by just about everyone..

There were one or two good, positive attacking moves on Saturday, and credit for that, but I suspect PF will soon put a stop to that nonsense.

Behave :confused:yeah sure he will put a stop to that. Isn't not losing kind of the idea aswell though?

matty_f
22-10-2013, 09:05 AM
I definitely think there's a stubbornness from some to refuse to acknowledge that Fenlon's results look to show that he's turned a very poor start around.

I was all for showing him the door after the derby and Malmo results but to go from that point to sitting in a decent league position and in the cup deserves credit, imho. I have been entertained on my last 3 visits to easter road and I'm looking forward to Saturday's game as well.

Andy74
22-10-2013, 09:20 AM
That's only three teams Andy and out those three only St. Johnstone were decent. Also they played well for large parts of that game as well. St Mirren were bottom and rotten with zero shots at our goal. Stranraer gave us a bit of a game although we were always in control i have to say. Bu they are a lower league team so I'd expect a few goals. How do you honestly explain 2 home league wins in 2013? I've still not seen you answer this? Surely you can see why folk are frustrated at the way we have played at home in the league?

I was adrressing the point that we don't change the way we play against lesser teams. We did, we attacked them quite nicely.

Our home record has been poor, of course it has, it's improving though. Our 3 wins from last 4 away games is helping overall too.

Thecat23
22-10-2013, 09:25 AM
I was adrressing the point that we don't change the way we play against lesser teams. We did, we attacked them quite nicely.

Our home record has been poor, of course it has, it's improving though. Our 3 wins from last 4 away games is helping overall too.

Away form has been pretty good I agree, But he needs to improve they way we play at home as 2 home wins in 2013 shows that his style of being negative hasn't worked. He may well change it with Zoubir there. For his sake I hope he does or the pressure will continue on him with that form.

Jonnyboy
22-10-2013, 06:48 PM
I definitely think there's a stubbornness from some to refuse to acknowledge that Fenlon's results look to show that he's turned a very poor start around.

I was all for showing him the door after the derby and Malmo results but to go from that point to sitting in a decent league position and in the cup deserves credit, imho. I have been entertained on my last 3 visits to easter road and I'm looking forward to Saturday's game as well.

I totally agree Matty. There's also a stubbornness from some to accept that he has gotten things wrong at times

SMAXXA
22-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Can we merge this with the other Pat Fenlon thread, basically the same discussions?

Northernhibee
22-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I totally agree Matty. There's also a stubbornness from some to accept that he has gotten things wrong at times

I don't see anyone saying that Pat has gotten everything right.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2013, 07:03 PM
I can only speak for myself and a few others who i watch games with on tv or who i have travelled up with to games.

And to a man they are bored rigid with what they have seen, and consequently stopped going as frequently as they once did.

We were watching on saturday and we were all impressed by how we played, yet only 1 game earlier we were pissed off at how we played, and all said this was the main reason we were not going now.

Now people can say i'm lying, but on my kids life this is the truth. And should be a huge worry for the club, as we are on a good run of points, and are sitting in the top 6.

Maybe its a money thing too now, where some folk want more for the expense it costs to go these days, but i know one thing. Personally speaking i want entertained much more than i have been these last couple of years before i come back regularly, and i dont think i'm the only one who thinks this way?

SMAXXA
22-10-2013, 07:11 PM
I can only speak for myself and a few others who i watch games with on tv or who i have travelled up with to games.

And to a man they are bored rigid with what they have seen, and consequently stopped going as frequently as they once did.

We were watching on saturday and we were all impressed by how we played, yet only 1 game earlier we were pissed off at how we played, and all said this was the main reason we were not going now.

Now people can say i'm lying, but on my kids life this is the truth. And should be a huge worry for the club, as we are on a good run of points, and are sitting in the top 6.

Maybe its a money thing too now, where some folk want more for the expense it costs to go these days, but i know one thing. Personally speaking i want entertained much more than i have been these last couple of years before i come back regularly, and i dont think i'm the only one who thinks this way?

Would you prefer entertainment and not winning as much or winning games and not being very entertaining? Genuine question as I'm thinking back to Hearts teams of old that finished 3rd but were rank to watch but effective and they seemed to like it that way.

Jonnyboy
22-10-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't see anyone saying that Pat has gotten everything right.

Did I say that?

There are times when the manager has made mistakes. Some find it hard to acknowledge that

Andy74
22-10-2013, 07:43 PM

Of course he has.

Jonnyboy
22-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Of course he has.

Glad you agree Andy :wink:

Andy74
22-10-2013, 07:44 PM

How you going to know though if you ain't there? Most games I've seen have been pretty good recently. Thistle aside and I wasn't in Inverness.

eastterrace
22-10-2013, 07:52 PM
How you going to know though if you ain't there? Most games I've seen have been pretty good recently. Thistle aside and I wasn't in Inverness.

he watches what written on here and puts 2 + 2 together and gets 5. i asume he went to lots of games and has lost his passion which can happen if you dont go to games.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2013, 08:02 PM

I have watched all the live games, and of course i have HI so see quite a bit. I'm not attending as much now because of the drivel i watched each week under Calderclown then Fenlon. This season from what i have SEEN has been nowhere near good enough to tempt me back.

Although if eastterrace was anywhere near correct, it would be farcical. If he was correct, it would appear there's many who just read this board and decide its not very good, although i'd imagine those who are posting its not been good have mainly been at the games.

SMAXXA
22-10-2013, 08:08 PM
I have watched all the live games, and of course i have HI so see quite a bit. I'm not attending as much now because of the drivel i watched each week under Calderclown then Fenlon. This season from what i have SEEN has been nowhere near good enough to tempt me back.

Although if eastterrace was anywhere near correct, it would be farcical. If he was correct, it would appear there's many who just read this board and decide its not very good, although i'd imagine those who are posting its not been good have mainly been at the games.

Glory hunter :wink:

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Glory hunter :wink:

I know, its been one trophy after another these last 45 years. :greengrin

eastterrace
22-10-2013, 08:12 PM

sorry mate but what i meant was you watch what you can and read whats on hear that gives you an overview of the situation. im right you have lost the passion to go the games but when we start playing better it will come back i hope.

SMAXXA
22-10-2013, 08:17 PM

To be fair though not aimed at you cause i know you have followed the team well but there are a number of folk that moan about this that and the next thing, style of football etc but as soon as there's a cup semi or final day out they are all over it. No an argument for double standards?

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2013, 08:19 PM
sorry mate but what i meant was you watch what you can and read whats on hear that gives you an overview of the situation. im right you have lost the passion to go the games but when we start playing better it will come back i hope.

I have not lost the passion to go, in fact we are running a bus up for the gimps match. I have been that bored with watching i just cant be arsed making the effort regularly.

This is not a knee jerk thing, i have had a season ticket for years, but didn't bother getting one this season because i was bored with what i was seeing.

We used to run buses regularly, then when train prices got cheaper we were getting return fares for just over £20 and we had at least 10-12 folk on the train every week.

That faded away to 2 or 3 and sometimes just me, and when we all spoke it was because of the drivel we were watching and how boring we'd become to watch that folk were no longer bothering.

eastterrace
22-10-2013, 08:27 PM
I have not lost the passion to go, in fact we are running a bus up for the gimps match. I have been that bored with watching i just cant be arsed making the effort regularly.

This is not a knee jerk thing, i have had a season ticket for years, but didn't bother getting one this season because i was bored with what i was seeing.

We used to run buses regularly, then when train prices got cheaper we were getting return fares for just over £20 and we had at least 10-12 folk on the train every week.

That faded away to 2 or 3 and sometimes just me, and when we all spoke it was because of the drivel we were watching and how boring we'd become to watch that folk were no longer bothering.
yes agree last few years have been dire, but call it canny be arsed or canny be bothered or im no passionate anymore for goin to watch them it boils down to the same. its a pity that hibs have lost supporters like yourself but when the good times return which i hope they will then maybe all the people who use to travel with you will return as well. also you do travel a fair distance to go to a game as well so fair dos.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2013, 08:27 PM

To be fair though not aimed at you cause i know you have followed the team well but there are a number of folk that moan about this that and the next thing, style of football etc but as soon as there's a cup semi or final day out they are all over it. No an argument for double standards?

I'm not sure those folk who are all over cup final tickets are the ones we should be worrying about?

6 years ago we had decent crowds, sometimes 15k against St Mirren and the likes, we bought into the stand up and be counted mantra, and were probably lucky we had a manager like Mowbray who took a great set of kids and married them with some very good signings, plus he also had a couple of things going for him.

He spoke a great game, and got a team that was very poor under Williamson playing with a swagger and some great attacking qualities.

Crowds rose because of this, because they were excited about coming to easter road, who is excited these days about doing so?

Its those fans who we have lost we should be worrying about, cup finals will always take care of themselves.

PatHead
22-10-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure those folk who are all over cup final tickets are the ones we should be worrying about?

6 years ago we had decent crowds, sometimes 15k against St Mirren and the likes, we bought into the stand up and be counted mantra, and were probably lucky we had a manager like Mowbray who took a great set of kids and married them with some very good signings, plus he also had a couple of things going for him.

He spoke a great game, and got a team that was very poor under Williamson playing with a swagger and some great attacking qualities.

Crowds rose because of this, because they were excited about coming to easter road, who is excited these days about doing so?

Its those fans who we have lost we should be worrying about, cup finals will always take care of themselves.

Quite a few going next week. Hope we give them a reason to return

Andy74
22-10-2013, 09:53 PM

Isn't that sort of the point.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Isn't that sort of the point.

No its not, you have to see something for your money these days, its not about blind loyalty like it used to be. My money is worth more than that drivel.

J-C
23-10-2013, 12:07 AM
yes agree last few years have been dire, but call it canny be arsed or canny be bothered or im no passionate anymore for goin to watch them it boils down to the same. its a pity that hibs have lost supporters like yourself but when the good times return which i hope they will then maybe all the people who use to travel with you will return as well. also you do travel a fair distance to go to a game as well so fair dos.

Saturdays game against the unwashed was indicative of people like Blackpool(gary) and myself, a crowd of just over 14,000 whereas a game against Celtic would've been nearer 17,000, were missing around 2,500-3,000 fans. I've not been back since the Euro game and even tho we played slightly better on saturday and there seemed more spirit in the team, Fenlon's negativity and desire to not lose is killing the team and the fans. The inability to get the necessary width and pace into the team, certain players who looked like last minute signings (Vine, Nelson) and are nowhere good enough for us and continually playing players out of position, to the detriment of them and the team. Hopefully the rumours are true about shamrock Rovers and he goes soon, nothing personal but for the sake of the club he needs to leave.

PatHead
23-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Saturdays game against the unwashed was indicative of people like Blackpool(gary) and myself, a crowd of just over 14,000 whereas a game against Celtic would've been nearer 17,000, were missing around 2,500-3,000 fans. I've not been back since the Euro game and even tho we played slightly better on saturday and there seemed more spirit in the team, Fenlon's negativity and desire to not lose is killing the team and the fans. The inability to get the necessary width and pace into the team, certain players who looked like last minute signings (Vine, Nelson) and are nowhere good enough for us and continually playing players out of position, to the detriment of them and the team. Hopefully the rumours are true about shamrock Rovers and he goes soon, nothing personal but for the sake of the club he needs to leave.

I must admit that I have enjoyed the last 3 games at Easter Road (St Mirren, Stranraer and Celtic) and felt entertained. Even the last 20 minutes or so of the Dundee Utd game were decent (Once KT had been sent off). After 2 of those games I actually came out with a smile on my face and am looking forward to going to Easter Road on Saturday. It has been a few seasons since I felt like that, (probably up until Stokes scored the goal against Rangers under John Hughes). Lets see where we are next week at this time and perhaps the feel good factor might continue to grow. For what it is worth I know of 4 guys who are making their first return since the Malmo game on Saturday. Maybe a few more might catch the bug again and a crowd backing the team might lead to more confidence in the players.