PDA

View Full Version : Letting Players Run at You

SMAXXA
19-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Never understand why we seem to back of players so much and let them come at us, guys like Forrest and stokes love it and will do you, big samaras is the same. Get right on top of them and don't give them the space :confused:

green.and.white
19-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Can be a lose-lose though as if you dive in they'll just knock the ball past you and off they go. Both situations happened today and players as good as celtics can beat you that easily. I thought we defended well very well today though

MWHIBBIES
19-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Dive in and let quicker players walk past you? No thanks, backing off and waiting for the right moment is the correct way to defend that situation.

Fergus52
19-10-2013, 06:23 PM
jockeying well is an under-rated art-form. If you go right in a good player will just go past you

SMAXXA
19-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Can be a lose-lose though as if you dive in they'll just knock the ball past you and off they go. Both situations happened today and players as good as celtics can beat you that easily. I thought we defended well very well today though

I know mate but you get right on top of someone and force them backwards they can't run at u etc, wont always work but feel its more effective than standing off, see their goal today. Someone take him out and regroup.

SMAXXA
19-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Dive in and let quicker players walk past you? No thanks, backing off and waiting for the right moment is the correct way to defend that situation.

jockeying well is an under-rated art-form. If you go right in a good player will just go past you

Like today?

Ozyhibby
19-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Forest is a special player who took great advantage of McGivern being of the pitch to score his goal.

MWHIBBIES
19-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Like today?Craig was defending the situation because McGivern was injured right? There is your problem. Diving in unless you are 100% sure of getting the ball is the wrong way to defend any situation, not just players running at you.

SMAXXA
19-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Craig was defending the situation because McGivern was injured right? There is your problem. Diving in unless you are 100% sure of getting the ball is the wrong way to defend any situation, not just players running at you.

Not saying dive in I'm on about get up there arse so they have no space to run into, when you have to take someone out them yes I believe you do it.

MWHIBBIES
19-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Not saying dive in I'm on about get up there arse so they have no space to run into, when you have to take someone out them yes I believe you do it.If you get too close they knock it past you and it becomes a straight race, Forrest for example wins that against Craig, McGivern, Lewis and Maybury. Again backing off and blocking the shot, pass or cross is the right way to defend this.

Brightside
19-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Not saying dive in I'm on about get up there arse so they have no space to run into, when you have to take someone out them yes I believe you do it.
Nope - thats a crazy way to defend.

neil7908
19-10-2013, 07:20 PM
The very best defenders have the necessary skills (pace, quick reactions, positioning) and decision making to know when to press and when to back off.

I do find it frustrating when it seems like we let the opposition run at us and we just back off and back off but its a tough choice for a defender to make. Stay too tight on a player and you'll leave gaps around the pitch which the opposition will easily exploit or be out of position to cover your team mates.

Unfortunately players who can read the game really well will never come up to Scotland or if they start their careers here, will be away down to England at the first sign of their potential due to the money on offer.

Thats why we end up with a left footed central midfielder playing right back for us (not saying Lewis had a bad game or was in any way at fault for their goal just making a point).

SMAXXA
19-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Nope - thats a crazy way to defend.

Sure it is

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Never understand why we seem to back of players so much and let them come at us, guys like Forrest and stokes love it and will do you, big samaras is the same. Get right on top of them and don't give them the space :confused:

I watched the game in a pub in Eyemouth with my old man and his mate and said to them about 5 mins after Forrest came on that if Celtic were going to get anything from the game it would be through him, the amount of space he got was frightening. A bit annoying he scored when we only had ten men on the park though.