PDA

View Full Version : 'Sevco' is now considered 'Sectarian Language' by the Scotsman

Keith_M
19-10-2013, 09:46 AM
That's right, the word Sevco is now flagged up as Sectarian Language on the Scotsman Forums.

It's impossible to post a comment with the word Sevco and any attempt to get round this, e.g. using the word S3vco, results in the comment removal then an E-Mail from the moderators warning you not to use Sectarian Language.

The world has now officially gone crazy!

:rolleyes:

Hibernia Na Eir
19-10-2013, 09:51 AM
no surprise really. how dare anyone criticise that mob.

Keith_M
19-10-2013, 09:56 AM
no surprise really. how dare anyone criticise that mob.

I know, but in what Universe could the word Sevco be considered Sectarian?

We have thousands of these idiots at Ibrox singing actual sectarian songs every week that is completely ignored by the press, government and football authorities but instead a newspaper decides to define Sevco as sectarian and censor its comments pages as a result.

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2013, 09:58 AM
I know, but in what Universe could the word Sevco be considered Sectarian?

We have thousands of these idiots at Ibrox singing actual sectarian songs every week that is completely ignored by the press, government and football authorities but instead a newspaper decides to define Sevco as sectarian and censor its comments pages as a result.

:agree: Tail wags dog again. :rolleyes:

ballengeich
19-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Today's Scotsman sport section has a large front page photo of two Sevco staff, an article about the League 1 club which takes over a page (more space than is given to any premier game this weekend) and a further photo which states that Rangers were demoted from the SPL. Don't their journalists have any self-respect?

Bishop Hibee
19-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Today's Scotsman sport section has a large front page photo of two Sevco staff, an article about the League 1 club which takes over a page (more space than is given to any premier game this weekend) and a further photo which states that Rangers were demoted from the SPL. Don't their journalists have any self-respect?

Newco propaganda. We won't be conned. They went bust not demoted.

Jim44
19-10-2013, 10:45 AM
I get the Scotsman in preference to the Redtop tabloids, as the general content is fine. The football content, with Bathgate at the helm, however is trash and gets progressively worse each week. There really isn't a national Scottish paper worth buying.

vla_di_vla
19-10-2013, 10:54 AM
I get the Scotsman in preference to the Redtop tabloids, as the general content is fine. The football content, with Bathgate at the helm, however is trash and gets progressively worse each week. There really isn't a national Scottish paper worth buying.

I stopped buying when it became a no vote propaganda machine with independence scare stories every other day. No surprise it's now championing sevco's cause

Keith_M
19-10-2013, 10:55 AM

Surprising as it may sound, The Herald is actually much better.

Even although it's a Glasgow based paper, it has better coverage of football in general and has been known to be critical of the Glasgow clubs. Spiers, while a bit full of himself, also generally gives quite an honest view on things.

You won't get much about Hibs, same with other papers, but at least it hasn't turned into a mouthpiece for Hearts and Sevco.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Not such a bad thing though? There must be a thought process or a qualified list behind this and as long as that is published or at least is accessible, then we will all know what you can or can't say and the reasons why?

Keith_M
19-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Not such a bad thing though? There must be a thought process or a qualified list behind this and as long as that is published or at least is accessible, then we will all know what you can or can't say and the reasons why?

Really?

:confused:

You think it's OK to define the word Sevco as sectarian? Sorry mate but you're really gonna have to explain the logic behind that one to me.

Treadstone
19-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Really?

You think it's OK to define the word Sevco as sectarian? Sorry mate but you're really gonna have to explain the logic behind that one to me.

Can you provide the link/copy the email as to where it is now said that 'sevco' is sectarian ?

Keith_M
19-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Can you provide the link/copy the email as to where it is now said that 'sevco' is sectarian ?

OK, firstly it's impossible to enter the word 'Sevco' in the comments. Try it out and see if it's the same today.

When I tried a work around (S3vco) I got this E-Mail in reply (username removed by me).

----

Dear [removed],

We have removed your post from scotsman.com for sectarian language, which is a violation of the Terms of Service. Please note we will remove any profiles that continue to breach these terms which can be found at http://www.johnstonpress.co.uk/terms-access-website.

Comment Removed: "Why can't I say S3vco?"

In Response to -- Rumour Mill: Rangers | Mikael Lustig | Scott Brown

Deansy
19-10-2013, 11:40 AM
That's right, the word Sevco is now flagged up as Sectarian Language on the Scotsman Forums.

It's impossible to post a comment with the word Sevco and any attempt to get round this, e.g. using the word S3vco, results in the comment removal then an E-Mail from the moderators warning you not to use Sectarian Language.

The world has now officially gone crazy!

:rolleyes:

It's getting ridiculous the 'Do's and Don'ts surrounding the Hun - hopefully Alex Thomson (C4) receives copies of these E-mails ........... am off to join in today's 'The Scotsman- Rumour Mill' forum to get mine !

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Really?

Read my post again. What I have said is that there must be a thought process behind this and that should be made public.

hhibs
19-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I stopped buying when it became a no vote propaganda machine with independence scare stories every other day. No surprise it's now championing sevco's cause

It is without doubt something Herr Goebbels would be proud of,a disgrace to journalism.

.Sean.
19-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Only in Scotland. Europe's backwater.

Sir David Gray
19-10-2013, 05:33 PM
This takes me back to the point I was making in the thread about Roy Hodgson and the supposed racist comment that he made last week.

If we're getting nonsense like this cropping up and being deemed sectarian, it's taking away from the genuine cases where people are behaving in a sectarian manner.

How on Earth is "Sevco" a sectarian term?

It's just getting silly now.

Phil D. Rolls
19-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Read my post again. What I have said is that there must be a thought process behind this and that should be made public.

It would be nice to know what it's all about. Smells more of lawyers than succulent lamb.

lapsedhibee
19-10-2013, 06:39 PM
How on Earth is "Sevco" a sectarian term?

Probolly because it's universally used in a pejorative, mocking way to refer to a notoriously proddy 'institution'.

Sir David Gray
19-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Probolly because it's universally used in a pejorative, mocking way to refer to a notoriously proddy 'institution'.

As I originally thought.

Nonsense.

fatbloke
19-10-2013, 06:54 PM
There is not a newspaper in Scotland i would wipe my ar5e with. It would only add to the faeces already there.

Jonnyboy
19-10-2013, 09:36 PM
OK, firstly it's impossible to enter the word 'Sevco' in the comments. Try it out and see if it's the same today.

When I tried a work around (S3vco) I got this E-Mail in reply (username removed by me).

----

Dear [removed],

We have removed your post from scotsman.com for sectarian language, which is a violation of the Terms of Service. Please note we will remove any profiles that continue to breach these terms which can be found at http://www.johnstonpress.co.uk/terms-access-website.

Just call them SebCoe and see if they consider him sectarian :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
19-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Isn't the 'Scotsman' a discriminatory title for a supposedly national newspaper?

Oops, I forgot, it's almost dead and nobody cares.

stoneyburn hibs
19-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Hunbelievable.

The Green Goblin
19-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Just further confirmation of the total farce that paper is.

johnrebus
20-10-2013, 10:22 AM
'The Scotsman.'

Did that not used to be a newspaper?

Keith_M
20-10-2013, 10:39 AM

What I responded to was the fact your first sentence was 'not such a bad thing though?'. In the context of declaring the word 'sevco' as sectarian, can you blame me for how I read your reply?

FWIW, I would also welcome a list of items they consider to be offensive with reasoning why. However, this is just crazy.

Hibercelona
20-10-2013, 11:10 AM
$3<(0

See if they pick up on that one. :wink:

down-the-slope
20-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Surely if you want to make the point (and lets be honest reason for using it is to needle :wink:) that they are not who they claim to be be then just keep referring to them as 'THE Rangers' ...... same point and legally undeniable....

Whatever we must NOT let history be rewritten (its only the victors that do that)

Carheenlea
20-10-2013, 12:08 PM
If the word sevco is now deemed to be an offensive word to use when referring to Rangers, then all the more reason to use it. :lolrangers:

basehibby
20-10-2013, 12:16 PM

----

Dear [removed],

That's disgusting - they should really appologise to you for groundlessly inferring that you are sectarian. I actually buy the Scotsman a couple of times a week but am tempted to boycott them on the grounds of this insulting attitude to truth

Jack Hackett
20-10-2013, 04:41 PM
S£vco works. Seems appropriate as well :greengrin

SurferRosa
20-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Try Zombie FC. They really, really don`t like that one.

Or will the hootsman try and class that as being predjudicial toward the living dead...?

NAE NOOKIE
20-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Its simply unacceptable in this day and age to use any term which folk who used to follow Rangers FC before they ceased to be find abusive.

The Rangers

Zombie Huns

ExGers FC.

Sevco

Soon these fans will be back in the Premiership following the new club to which they have switched their allegiance and not a moment too soon in my opinion. Thank goodness there will be a set of supporters around to show us the way to tolerance and sanity and as far as I can see its good that the Scotsman is in there fighting their corner until their hugely anticipated and welcome return.

I for one know that there are a number of Hibs fans out there who dont bother much taking their kids to Easter road because of the swearing & that, but that will change once they have an example to show their kids.

You can see where the Scotsman is coming from.

Keith_M
21-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Just an update that I've E-Mailed the Scotsman asking for an explanation. This is their reply (or cop-out)

------------------------------------
Dear [name removed],
Unfortunately we are not able to debate decisions already made regarding moderation. As per the Johnston Press Terms of Service, decisions around removing user content from the site are at the discretion of Johnston Press and the Moderation Team.

Full terms of access for the site can be found at http://www.johnstonpress.co.uk/terms-access-website (http://www.johnstonpress.co.uk/terms-access-website).

Moderation Team
------------------------------------

Nowhere in the T&Cs does it mention the list of banned words and how they come into a particular category. I've replied to this mail asking them to put me in touch with someone that actually can explain this decision.

I await the answer with baited breath......

JeMeSouviens
21-10-2013, 11:21 AM
They (the Old Huns, not the Scotsman) did exactly the same with the word "Hun". As far as I'm concerned it was always just a simple pejorative for a Rangers supporter, used by fans of all other clubs regardless of faith. The Huns took it upon themselves to imagine it as a sectarian term so they could try to paint everyone else in the same light as themselves.

marinello59
21-10-2013, 11:30 AM
They (the Old Huns, not the Scotsman) did exactly the same with the word "Hun". As far as I'm concerned it was always just a simple pejorative for a Rangers supporter, used by fans of all other clubs regardless of faith. The Huns took it upon themselves to imagine it as a sectarian term so they could try to paint everyone else in the same light as themselves.

Spot on.

Part/Time Supporter
21-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Yup. When Cosgrove and Cowan were first starting Off the Ball circa 1996/97, the Rangers fan* they frequently had on as a guest was always introduced with the monicker "the Hun with the heart of gold". He, or the many Huns who phoned in, never complained about this.

It was only when sectarian legislation started being introduced circa 2002/03 by Jack McConnell's government (rightly so) that they started taking offence at being called Huns. I think this was because the use of pejorative Irish terms they would use for Celtic fans were being outlawed. The Huns then started scrambling around for equivalent terms used by Celtic fans for them that they could get banned. Huns was about the "worst" one they could find, because it was also used in Northern Ireland as a term of abuse.

*Chris (?), not the walloper Chris Graham who is a media whore nowadays.

Spike Mandela
21-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Perhaps Sevco's media team headed by Blobbo Traynor have been firing out legal threats to various publications which have rightly or wrongly taken the threat seriously. It is the Sevco way.

CropleyWasGod
21-10-2013, 11:58 AM
There are 81 companies listed at Companies House with the word "Sevco" in their name.

I look forward to their (and, indeed, Companies House) being prosecuted for the use of sectarian words.

snooky
21-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Hunbelievable :eek: