PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian History

NAE NOOKIE
18-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I was fascinated to see on the Hibs Wikipedia entry that "the club were closely associated with the Irish home rule movement during the 1880s"

That is absolutely fascinating and a part of the history of Hibernian Football Club of which I was unaware.

Perhaps some of the clubs historians, or even the person who updated the Wikipedia entry if he or she posts on here, could post some links on this thread to that part of the written history of the club or other historical documents which attest to this fact. As a long standing supporter of the club I am always keen to learn new things about its background and history.

Thanks in advance.

GGTTH

Part/Time Supporter
19-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Bob Crampsey's centenary history of the SFL (1990) states that, giving the example of the team spending their free time in London (while playing a friendly down there) at a trial of a man named Piggott, who was accused of forging letters signed by Parnell, the leader of the Irish nationalist party.

Alan Lugton goes into a lot of detail about the political affiliation in his Making of Hibernian book. For example, the president of the CYMS was effectively sacked by the archbishop of St Andrews & Edinburgh diocese in 1888 because he supported a campaign and boycott in favour of (Irish) home rule. This wasn't well received because all of the CYMS members (ie the Hibs players) were also in favour of the campaign. Earlier in 1888 the team had attended a demonstration in Glasgow in support of the imprisoned Irish nationalist MP John Dillon. Lugton points out that Celtic (and John Glass in particular) deliberately stayed clear of the politics and association with the church.