PDA

View Full Version : Macsweens black pudding

sleeping giant
17-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Anyone know where to get this in West Lothian ?

stoneyburn hibs
17-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm 99% sure I got it from Asda Livi about 3 weeks ago.

Jay
17-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Anyone know where to get this in West Lothian ?

I don't know about McSweens but the black pudding in Aldi is the best I've ever tasted. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jack
17-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Macsweens black pudding? Got a few bits from Tescos Leith the other week.

I had 3 packets and followed the microwave instructions with the first. That didn't go well so I grilled the next and as a last resort fried.

Although it was reassuringly expensive it was the biggest black pudding let down I have experienced.

So. IMO not worth the trouble of chasing down.

johnbc70
17-10-2013, 05:46 PM
I had stornaway black pudding for the first time a few months back and it's like eating something completely different when compared to normal supermarket black pudding. It was lovely and do not think I could ever go back to Halls or any other supermarket brand. Try it if you can, but sure MacSweens is as good.

Aldo
17-10-2013, 06:50 PM
I had stornaway black pudding for the first time a few months back and it's like eating something completely different when compared to normal supermarket black pudding. It was lovely and do not think I could ever go back to Halls or any other supermarket brand. Try it if you can, but sure MacSweens is as good.

Stornaway Black pudding is the dugs nuts.
Howie's isn't too bad either.

Sergey
17-10-2013, 07:03 PM

I had 3 packets and followed the microwave instructions with the first. That didn't go well so I grilled the next and as a last resort fried.

Although it was reassuringly expensive it was the biggest black pudding let down I have experienced.

Agree with Jack on this as MacSweens aren't very good, due a lot of their products being mass-produced. Small artisan producers are where the real finds can be had. Findlays of Portobello have won awards for their black pudding and I'd recommend trying that. Morrisons own-label from their cold-meat counter is pretty decent and it also comes pre-sliced in the chiller aisle (£1 for 6 large slices).

I bought both black and white puddings today from a little Irish butcher (Corrigans) on Holloway Road, London. Fantastic eats these are and I've big plans for tomorrow mornings breakfast.

sleeping giant
17-10-2013, 07:09 PM
It's the father in law who has asked us to get it for him. We're visiting him next week.
Got it now anyway. Cheers

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-10-2013, 07:10 PM

The two highlighted areas in the quoted post should be kept as far apart from each other as possible! :rolleyes:

Jack
18-10-2013, 09:07 AM
The two highlighted areas in the quoted post should be kept as far apart from each other as possible! :rolleyes:

Its what it said on the packet - I was doing what I was told ... for a change ;-)

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Some things just arnae suited to a microwave, as you have recently discovered Jack. :-)

Wilson
18-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Some things just arnae suited to a microwave, as you have recently discovered Jack. :-)

No use for drying small domestic pets or cooking food. The clock on it works okay though.

cabbageandribs1875
21-10-2013, 01:08 PM
noticed macsweens microwave black pudding in bathgate tesco yesterday £1.49 for 2 slices, the thought of eating dried pigs blood makes me :sick: nowadays :( although i do treat myself to the macsweens microwave haggis now and then ;)

Scouse Hibee
21-10-2013, 01:34 PM
noticed macsweens microwave black pudding in bathgate tesco yesterday £1.49 for 2 slices, the thought of eating dried pigs blood makes me :sick: nowadays :( although i do treat myself to the macsweens microwave haggis now and then ;)

Try Stornoway black pudding then, sheep, cow and pigs blood is used. :greengrin

poolman
23-10-2013, 07:21 AM

:agree: And their haggis is overated as well

Stornaway black pudding is the biz and Hornig's is tasty as well :agree:

Hermit Crab
03-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Get Stornaway black pudding. Available from food halls in dobbies.

cabbageandribs1875
06-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Try Stornoway black pudding then, sheep, cow and pigs blood is used. :greengrin

seriously ? think i'l pass :sick: