PDA

View Full Version : McLeish's Team v Mogga's Team

DJ HIBBY
17-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Simple question - who do you think would win and what would the score be?

I would take McLeish's team to win 3-1 with goals from Mixu, Zitelli and Latapy.

brian6-2
17-10-2013, 09:04 AM
id have to say a highly entertaining 4-4 draw.

Shearer
17-10-2013, 09:51 AM
McLeish's team easily, guys like Latapy, Sauzee, Zitelli etc were guys who had achieved on a high European level, a class above the Mowbray team IMO.

Steve20
17-10-2013, 09:56 AM
McLeish's team comfortably.

soproni1
17-10-2013, 09:58 AM
McLeish's team easily, guys like Latapy, Sauzee, Zitelli etc were guys who had achieved on a high European level, a class above the Mowbray team IMO.

If you're goin by that logic - Mowbray's team repeatedly turned over a Rangers team (and gave Celtic a few games as well) full of 'European stars' - Prso, Ricksen, Buffel.

Think it would be a great game though I'd go for McLeish's team as they were better at the back and had Le God

The Sea-gull
17-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Good thread. Interesting one as two different styles and different make ups.

Early 2000s team largely experienced players, some who played at a decent level (Sauzee obviously, Latatpy, Zitelli, Mixu and Laursen) and others who either had a bit of a career recovery, stepped up to the plate with better players or were good seasoned pros (O'Neil, Smith, Fenwich, Lovell).

Mid 2000s team were largely young players playing with pace and enthusiasm. I think if both teams played against each other in the stages they were at when they were at ER then the experience and quality of the 2000s team would tell. If the mid 2000s team had all fulfilled their potential and ha been brought back together a couple of years down the line then they would win.

Depends how you do it as well as Mowbray's team evolved and changed a few times as did McLeish's. For example a lot of people bracket Rob Jones as being Mowbray's team but he actually only played under TM for about two months. If you do match ups on typical teams from the respective eras:-

Colgan v any of Mowbray's/mid 2000s goalies = Colgan every time.

Lovell v Whittaker = Whittaker
Sauzee v Caldwell = Sauzee (just about!)
Gary Smith v Gary Smith = Gary Smith!
Laursen v Murphy = Tough one, call it a draw

O'Neil v Brown = Brown
Jack v Thomson = Thomson
Latapy v Boozy = Latapy

Zitelli v Riordan = Riordan
Mixu v O'Connor = O'Connor
McManus v Sproule = Sproule

Based this logic the Mowbray team wins though direct comparisons are difficult as both teams played different formations and I still think the McLeish team would win a one off game but only just where as the Mowbray team would have consistently finished higher in the leage had they stayed together as most of their stars were on the rise compared to the McLeish team going the other way.

SunshineOnLeith
17-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Not really adding to the debate but Jack, O'Neil and Latapy were pretty much the perfect midfield 3. Would have been interesting to see Thomson, Brown and Boozy try and play in that system.

The Sea-gull
17-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Not really adding to the debate but Jack, O'Neil and Latapy were pretty much the perfect midfield 3. Would have been interesting to see Thomson, Brown and Boozy try and play in that system.

Two really good midfield threes IMHO. If you look at the holding role, in the first three Jack was an out and out spoiler who didn't really play much football but was excellent at breaking up play and playing short pases to the more skilful and creative O'Neil and Latapy.

Boozy on the other hand, tended to sit back and look to receive the ball from the likes of Thomson and Brown who tended to get stuck in and he would then pick passes from the back, often spraying it out wide, over the top, pin point style long balls looking for runners.

Thomson and Brown were perhaps a bit more industrious than O'Neil and Latapy (a lot more than Latapy anyway!) but both were less of a goal threat and less creative than O'Neil and Latapy.

Mon Dieu4
17-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Two great teams, most of the players you could have probably have chopped and changed with no problem at all

but the addition of Sauzee and Latapy in Eck's team means there would have only been one winner

patlowe
17-10-2013, 12:15 PM
It's maybe best to put the two line-ups at their strongest alongside each other, rather than comparing individual players. Both teams were great but each had one particular run of outstanding form when able to play the following sides consistently IIRC.

McLeish

Colgan

Smith
Sauzee
Fenwick

Lovell
Jack
Latapy
O'Neill
Laursen

Zitelli
Mixu

Mowbray

Brown (?)

Whittaker
Caldwell
Murray
Murphy

Brown
Beuzelin
Thomson
Glass

Riordan
O'Connor

As others have suggested, I reckon McLeish's team edges it based on experience and the significance of Latapy/Sauzee but it's a lot closer than I'd originally thought. The other thing to mention is that the SPL was arguably a lot stronger in the McLeish era and it's hard to argue against a team that tended to p*** all over the yams.

allezsauzee
17-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I think McLeish's team would have pumped Mogga's team and I think the respective wage bills reflect that! When we finished 3rd under McLeish, the Celtic and Rangers teams that finished above us were very strong and were up against players of the quality of Larsson, Petrov, Moravchik, Lambert, Van Bronkhorst, Alberz, Mols, De Boer, Kanchelskis

sambajustice
17-10-2013, 01:45 PM
McLeish's team would murder the Mowbray team.

Brown would get in ahead of Lovell.

Other than that, no-one from Mowbray team would definitely get in the side, perhaps Caldwell at the back and possibly THomson in ahead of Jack.

Riordan and O'Connor wouldnt get near the team. Look at some of the other forwards around the same time, Libbra and Luna for instance.

Murphy wouldnt get in ahead of Laursen. Whittaker? In the 3-5-2 system he's have played right mid so would've been him or Brown for that place.

Pedantic_Hibee
17-10-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm 31 and Murphy is the best left back I've seen play for Hibs. By a mile. And Uli Laursen was a very good player.

IWasThere2016
17-10-2013, 01:58 PM
McLeish's for me - Latapy and Sauzee would be decisive factors IMHO.

Some great talent and a hybrid of the two teams would take some stopping.

Colgan

Whittaker
Laursen
Sauzee
Murphy

O'Neill
Thomson

Brown
Latapy
Riordan

Mixu

Subs:
Boozy
Jack
Sproule
O'Connor
Murray
Smith
S Brown

Brilliant side(s) and so many options available! Would stroll the current SPL.

bandylegs_jLeighton
17-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Latapy and Sauzee make the difference to be honest.

Pretty Boy
17-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Either team would run the current Celtic team very close in the current SPFGHDSRKL

The Sea-gull
17-10-2013, 02:49 PM
McLeish's team would murder the Mowbray team.

Brown would get in ahead of Lovell.

Other than that, no-one from Mowbray team would definitely get in the side, perhaps Caldwell at the back and possibly THomson in ahead of Jack.

Riordan and O'Connor wouldnt get near the team. Look at some of the other forwards around the same time, Libbra and Luna for instance.

Murphy wouldnt get in ahead of Laursen. Whittaker? In the 3-5-2 system he's have played right mid so would've been him or Brown for that place.

Sorry totally disagree with that. Neither Luna nor Libbra made anywhere near the impact Deeks and Gaz did at Hibs when in their pomp. I'd even have Deeks and Gaz ahead of Mixu and Zitelli any day based on their respective times at Hibs. Granted, Mixu and especially Zitelli were class acts in their careers and the way it has ended for Deeks and Gaz is dissappointing but in terms of their times at Hibs, the stats alone suggest Gaz and Deeks were better than most other forwards who have played for Hibs this century and possibiliy a lot of the 80s and 90s too.

G O'C still had a decent strike rate of 16 for the season when he returned to us for season 11/12 and that was when he was an injury prone, over weight junky. More goals in a seson than Libbra and Luna ever got near. In fact more than Mixu or Zitelli ever got in a Hibs top. G O'C could have done so much more in the game if he was fit both mentally and physically on a regular basis.

Keith_M
17-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Could people please stop reminding me of Hibs teams lke that, I'm in tears here

:boo hoo:

Pretty Boy
17-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Could people please stop reminding me of Hibs teams lke that, I'm in tears here

:boo hoo:

How is Bulgaria this time of year?

cmcd
17-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Sorry totally disagree with that. Neither Luna nor Libbra made anywhere near the impact Deeks and Gaz did at Hibs when in their pomp. I'd even have Deeks and Gaz ahead of Mixu and Zitelli any day based on their respective times at Hibs. Granted, Mixu and especially Zitelli were class acts in their careers and the way it has ended for Deeks and Gaz is dissappointing but in terms of their times at Hibs, the stats alone suggest Gaz and Deeks were better than most other forwards who have played for Hibs this century and possibiliy a lot of the 80s and 90s too.

G O'C still had a decent strike rate of 16 for the season when he returned to us for season 11/12 and that was when he was an injury prone, over weight junky. More goals in a seson than Libbra and Luna ever got near. In fact more than Mixu or Zitelli ever got in a Hibs top. G O'C could have done so much more in the game if he was fit both mentally and physically on a regular basis.

I give you Gordon Smith Lawrie R Joe B Neil Martin Jimmy O Alan G Arthur D To name a few i would have in my team before G O and D R

The Sea-gull
17-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I give you Gordon Smith Lawrie R Joe B Neil Martin Jimmy O Alan G Arthur D To name a few i would have in my team before G O and D R

Yeah but did any of them play in the 1980s, 1990s or this century which was the criteria I mentioned.

Totally forgot about Leigh Griffiths but he is the only player I can think of in recent times who could lay claim to have done better in a Hibs shirt playing up front than these two.

Stokes maybe as it is only fair to include him as mentioning Leigh really on the basis of one season.

Keith_M
17-10-2013, 04:12 PM
How is Bulgaria this time of year?

Wet!

:wink:

cmcd
17-10-2013, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=The Sea-gull;3772733]Yeah but did any of them play in the 1980s, 1990s or this century which was the criteria I mentioned.

Totally forgot about Leigh Griffiths but he is the only player I can think of in recent times who could lay claim to have done better in a Hibs shirt playing up front than these two.

Stokes maybe as it is only fair to include him as mentioning Leigh really on the basis of one season.[/QUOTE
This Century ALL of them

Crossgates Hibs
17-10-2013, 04:43 PM

Agreed and not forgetting Killen who was a goal machine prior to injury. Always seemed overlooked but in half a season he rattled in a fair few goals.:flag:

The Sea-gull
17-10-2013, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=The Sea-gull;3772733]Yeah but did any of them play in the 1980s, 1990s or this century which was the criteria I mentioned.

Stokes maybe as it is only fair to include him as mentioning Leigh really on the basis of one season.[/QUOTE
This Century ALL of them

Or none of them.

The names you mention played for Hibs in the 20th century. I am talking about this current century, the 21st i.e. from 2000 or 2001 (debate on which of these years the century started is for another time). None of the players you highlighted have played for Hibs or any other football team this century.

SunshineOnLeith
17-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Colgan

Brown Sauzee(c) Fenwick

Whittaker Murphy

Latapy Boozy Thomson

G'OC Riordan

Subs: Brown, Laursen, Jack, Brown, O'Neil, Mixu, Zitelli

cmcd
17-10-2013, 06:44 PM

This Century ALL of them
I think you should read your post 17 where you say 1980s 1990s or THIS CENTURY

erin go bragh
17-10-2013, 06:51 PM

This 100%

Ggtth

erin go bragh
17-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Close call but with Sauzee and Latapy , Mcleish team every time for me . If ever a Hibs team deserved a trophy it was that one .

Ggtth

rcarter1
17-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Great to think what these teams would do to each other over 90 minutes...

My Select would be

Colgan

Murphy Sauzee Smith Whittaker

Riordan Thomson Latapy Brown

O'Connor Fletcher

Subs: Mixu, Jack, Laursen, Zitelli, Caldwell

Champions League Final here we come! :greengrin

weonlywon6-2
17-10-2013, 08:01 PM
If we are talking the team that played in the 2007 fi al then it would be close and a cracker,hard to call but would be brilliant to watch

GavinHarris 10
19-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Both teams were a joy to watch! I think mcleish's team would take it. Both teams had goals in them.

Hainan Hibs
19-10-2013, 12:30 PM
McLeish's team, best one I've seen at ER.

hfc rd
19-10-2013, 02:56 PM
I think McLeish's team would win quite comfortably.