PDA

View Full Version : England v Poland

Hibby Bairn
15-10-2013, 07:08 PM
About 30,000 Poles at Wembley. Like an away game for Engerland. Booing everytime England have the ball.

Brilliant. 10/1 to win Polska btw.

Onceinawhile
15-10-2013, 07:11 PM
What's the implications tonight? Draw enough for England?

Hibby Bairn
15-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Not sure. Think they need to win.

QMU-1875
15-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Need to win if ukraine beat San Marino

The Green Goblin
15-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Draw guarantees the playoff, I think. A win guarantees a place next year. Pretty sure anyway

Baldy Foghorn
15-10-2013, 07:15 PM
A win for England sees them qualify, a draw for play-offs (as Ukraine playing San Marino, who have lost all 9, are a cert to win).....

johnbc70
15-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Now 7/1 Poland - still worth a punt?

Hibby Bairn
15-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Now 7/1 Poland - still worth a punt?

Very open game. Poland looking dangerous every time they go forward. Roared on by 30,000.

Onceinawhile
15-10-2013, 07:20 PM
England need to win. Confirmed by the itv boffins. Looking at the England team, I Wouldn't say they have anyone in their Team who is the best in the world in their position. Except potentially baines/a Cole. The rest are probably lucky to get top 5.

Sergey
15-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Very open game. Poland looking dangerous every time they go forward. Roared on by 30,000.

Half of them built the bleedin' stadium :agree:

Hibby Bairn
15-10-2013, 07:23 PM
What a miss by Lewandeski (sp).

Onceinawhile
15-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Lewandowski misses a very good chance. Poland should be winning. If poland win are they in the play offs at England's expense?

HH81
15-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Lewandowski misses a very good chance. Poland should be winning. If poland win are they in the play offs at England's expense?

No.

TRC
15-10-2013, 07:26 PM
England need to win. Confirmed by the itv boffins. Looking at the England team, I Wouldn't say they have anyone in their Team who is the best in the world in their position. Except potentially baines/a Cole. The rest are probably lucky to get top 5.

Lahm might have something to say about that even if he is a right back is still a better left back than those two.

Onceinawhile
15-10-2013, 07:27 PM
England knocking on the door. Townsend rattled the bar from 20 yards.

Hibby Bairn
15-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Great game so far.

Onceinawhile
15-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Lahm might have something to say about that even if he is a right back is still a better left back than those two.

The spanish boy too, is it alba? I'm not saying either of them are the best only That you could make an argument for them.

HH81
15-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Welbeck is crap :agree:

Onceinawhile
15-10-2013, 07:36 PM

Him and sturridge are doing their best to mess up any sort of half chance. England definitely settled now and looking likely.

Danderhall Hibs
15-10-2013, 07:38 PM

I've thought that for a long time - quite a lot of folk seem to disagree though.

kdhibees1
15-10-2013, 07:42 PM
1-0 tattie heid

David_D
:grr: nice goal though. Damn Shrek

Onceinawhile
1-0 Rooney. Text book cross from baines and text book headee

Gus
15-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Goaaaaaaaaaal

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 07:52 PM
What a fantastic game and fantastic atmosphere.

Leighton Baines for me is a better player than Ashley Cole

Mon Dieu4
15-10-2013, 07:54 PM
What a fantastic game and fantastic atmosphere.

Leighton Baines for me is a better player than Ashley Cole

Absolutely, he is a great wee player Baines

kdhibees1
15-10-2013, 08:45 PM
2-0 Gerrard

Aldo
15-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Well that'll be them winning the 2014 World Cup then.

Mon Dieu4
15-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Glad they are going through, will give me something to look forward to next year ;)

eastterrace
15-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Glad they are going through, will give me something to look forward to next year ;)

yes will get a laugh next year so better they are through.

Spike Mandela
15-10-2013, 09:04 PM
The English build up to the World Cup in all it's jingoistic glory will have Alex Salmond rubbing his hands with pleasure on the run up to the referendum.:cb

PatHead
15-10-2013, 10:14 PM
At least I know who I am supporting next summer- ABE!

monktonharp
15-10-2013, 10:25 PM
The English build up to the World Cup in all it's jingoistic glory will have Alex Salmond rubbing his hands with pleasure on the run up to the referendum.:cbgot something there Spike, luvvly jubbly. need another war though, to even things up. Falklands2.

Scouse Hibee
16-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Oh how I love a world cup.

weecounty hibby
16-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Oh how I love a world cup.

Me too! Must be crap for you guys to only have one team to support whereas we have every team except one to support ;-)

Onion
16-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Me too! Must be crap for you guys to only have one team to support whereas we have every team except one to support ;-)

:greengrin Scotland qualified last night, too.

Deansy
16-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Well that'll be them winning the 2014 World Cup then.

Aye, didn't take long -

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/weve-chance-says-roy-hodgson-2450383

“We’ve got a chance. If you want to win the lottery, buy a lottery ticket. We have our ticket"

Oh Goody - same chance as me of actually winning it, then !!

Danderhall Hibs
16-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Aye, didn't take long -

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/weve-chance-says-roy-hodgson-2450383

“We’ve got a chance. If you want to win the lottery, buy a lottery ticket. We have our ticket"

I think "we" make more of it. They've definitely got more if a chance than you of winning it.

Hibbyradge
16-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Aye, didn't take long -

That reply is very measured. In fact, winning the lottery is a 1:14000000 chance.

If Scotland ever qualify again, what would you expect the manager to say?

"No, we have no chance"?

matty_f
16-10-2013, 09:00 AM
I think "we" make more of it. They've definitely got more if a chance than you of winning it.

:agree:

Scouse Hibee
16-10-2013, 09:26 AM

It's more more enjoyable watching the tournament when you have your own country's team to support though. :wink:

Scouse Hibee
16-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Aye, didn't take long -

I love these type of posts :greengrin

Posh Swanny
16-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Aye, didn't take long -

Seven one-off football matches and you don't even need to win any of them if you're good at taking penalties. Everyone has a "chance" - although England would clearly need to win all of their games. :wink:

Obviously the likelihood is that England will not win the tournament but the "one game at a time" nature of a World Cup (or any knock out competition) means the excitement at a possible win is there for every game. Of course we'll probably lose against Spain/Germany/Brazil/Italy if we were to meet them at any point - but much like a Hibs trip to Celtic Park or Ibrox, I'd be absolutely buzzing in the build up to the game and hope for a win! I'd probably even spout things like "let's get into these *****, they're not all that!".

You merely need to apply that mentality to seven matches to see why people will probably answer "yes" when asked if England CAN win the World Cup. But that is very different to being asked if England WILL win the World Cup.

lapsedhibee
16-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Seven one-off football matches and you don't even need to win any of them if you're good at taking penalties. Everyone has a "chance" - although England would clearly need to win all of their games. :wink:

Obviously the likelihood is that England will not win the tournament but the "one game at a time" nature of a World Cup (or any knock out competition) means the excitement at a possible win is there for every game. Of course we'll probably lose against Spain/Germany/Brazil/Italy if we were to meet them at any point - but much like a Hibs trip to Celtic Park or Ibrox, I'd be absolutely buzzing in the build up to the game and hope for a win! I'd probably even spout things like "let's get into these *****, they're not all that!".

You merely need to apply that mentality to seven matches to see why people will probably answer "yes" when asked if England CAN win the World Cup. But that is very different to being asked if England WILL win the World Cup.

Hasn't Greg Dyke, or someone else entirely, already said that Engerlund won't win before 2022? Which means of course that they will win in 2022. It's only a matter of time. Winning next year would be like Greece or Denmark or some other no-mark country winning a major championship - no gonnae happen.

Scouse Hibee
16-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Hasn't Greg Dyke, or someone else entirely, already said that Engerlund won't win before 2022? Which means of course that they will win in 2022. It's only a matter of time. Winning next year would be like Greece, Denmark or some other no-mark country like Scotland winning a major championship - no gonnae happen.

Fixed that for you.

Hibbyradge
16-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Fixed that for you.

I'm surprised you think England are as poor as Scotland.

Everyone to their own, I suppose.

Scouse Hibee
16-10-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm surprised you think England are as poor as Scotland.

Everyone to their own, I suppose.

At winning major championships they certainly are!

ZS DOOM
16-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Hasn't Greg Dyke, or someone else entirely, already said that Engerlund won't win before 2022? Which means of course that they will win in 2022. It's only a matter of time. Winning next year would be like Greece or Denmark or some other no-mark country winning a major championship - no gonnae happen.

Imagine Greece winning a major tournament. Just cant see it happening

Hibernia Na Eir
16-10-2013, 01:15 PM
thought the Polish fans were brilliant last night. Never heard such a racket! They certainly drowned out the English Anthem too :-)

Posh Swanny
16-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Imagine Greece winning a major tournament. Just cant see it happening

I imagined that was his point - hence Denmark as well! :wink:

brian6-2
17-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Had a wee chuckle at this. Cant wait to hear the reaction from the english.............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24562306

magpie1892
17-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Had a wee chuckle at this. Cant wait to hear the reaction from the english.............

Well, here's one reaction from an Englishman: England are ***** and will be lucky to get out of our group.

I think you'll find that the 'reaction from the english' will be pretty muted.

brian6-2
17-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Well, here's one reaction from an Englishman: England are ***** and will be lucky to get out of our group.

I think you'll find that the 'reaction from the english' will be pretty muted.

doubt that very much.

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-10-2013, 09:26 AM
They are already bumping their gums on SSN and I see that the knives are out for Hodgson already about the alleged "feed the monkey" comment he made at half time during the Poland game.

I couldn't give two hoots about them but it seems the English press are hell bent on disrupting any preparations they have before they have even started :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work lads! :wink:

Scottie
17-10-2013, 09:56 AM
They are already bumping their gums on SSN and I see that the knives are out for Hodgson already about the alleged "feed the monkey" comment he made at half time during the Poland game.

I couldn't give two hoots about them but it seems the English press are hell bent on disrupting any preparations they have before they have even started :rolleyes:

Just heard the reporter who broke the story on Talk Sport this morning

Said the English player phoned him directly to break the story yesterday morning

Turns out the reporter works for the Sun newspaper and is of course is a Scotsman :na na: Magic

Onion
17-10-2013, 09:57 AM

They reported that yesterday and were pretty relaxed about it. Makes no diff, the English Press have them winning it anyway, which is interesting as this is probably the WORST England team in 40 years. Almost as deluded as the Yams.

This bit I found interesting ...

"Scotland have climbed 28 places to 35th..."

Posh Swanny
17-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Looking at the teams who didn't get seeded, it's pretty balanced from a "wouldn't want to play against them" point of view anyway. We might draw Brazil but we won't draw Holland. We might play Spain, but we won't play Italy. And I'd probably take Switzerland over the other European nations expected to be in the "Euro" pot.

Andy74
17-10-2013, 03:41 PM

Just caught up with this one. Mental. Any racism groups or whatever making an issue out of this need to have a word. He was talking about an actual monkey. It's the people putting that together with race who need to think about their own views.

lapsedhibee
17-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Just caught up with this one. Mental. Any racism groups or whatever making an issue out of this need to have a word. He was talking about an actual monkey. It's the people putting that together with race who need to think about their own views.

:hmmm:

Andy74
17-10-2013, 03:55 PM
:hmmm:

What's up? The animal in the story was a monkey.

lapsedhibee
17-10-2013, 04:05 PM
What's up? The animal in the story was a monkey.

I don't think it was an actual monkey.

Andy74
17-10-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't think it was an actual monkey.

Okay I'm lost now.

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2013, 04:17 PM
What colour was the monkeys laces?

Danderhall Hibs
17-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Sounds to me like he was telling a story about an actual monkey then turned to Townsend and said "no offence pal"?

Mon Dieu4
17-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Just read up on all this, the media will twist anything to meet their agenda

Id be hard pressed to think of a less likely person to come out with something like that, he seems a well mannered and well spoken gent who wouldn't want to cause offense to anyone

Mikey
17-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Hodgson should find out who leaked the "monkey" story and give him the chance to watch the World Cup at home on TV.

As for their seeding, when have England ever ended up in the Group Of Death? They'll get the weakest top seed, third seed and fourth seed!

Where's McGlashan when you need him..............

Keith_M
17-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Sounds to me like he was telling a story about an actual monkey then turned to Townsend and said "no offence pal"?

Then you're wrong.

He used a humorous story made up by members of NASA in the 60s to make a point about 'feeding' a particular player with he ball. He's apparently used that in club football, referring to various players whether black or white.

The only time race was brought into this was when some idiot at The Sun decided to splash it on their Front Page, leading 'Kick it Out' to take it at face value.

The player in question, Andros Townsend, tweeted this today...

"I don't know what all this fuss is about.
No offence was meant and none was taken!
It's not even news worthy!"

Guardian Article (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/17/roy-hodgson-fa-greg-dyke-space-monkey)

Danderhall Hibs
17-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Then you're wrong.

He used a humorous story made up by members of NASA in the 60s to make a point about 'feeding' a particular player with he ball. He's apparently used that in club football, referring to various players whether black or white.

The only time race was brought into this was when some idiot at The Sun decided to splash it on their Front Page, leading 'Kick it Out' to take it at face value.

The player in question, Andros Townsend, tweeted this today...

"I don't know what all this fuss is about.
No offence was meant and none was taken!
It's not even news worthy!"

Guardian Article (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/17/roy-hodgson-fa-greg-dyke-space-monkey)

Cheers for the full story.

Why did he feel the need to apologise immediately after saying it?

(((Fergus)))
17-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Strangely, I hope the England team do well with their supposed no-hoper of a manager and get it right up the english ********s who're trying to undermine them

Sir David Gray
17-10-2013, 06:11 PM
These sorts of stories really wind me up.

Anti-racism groups who are reacting to this story and demanding investigations to take place are, in my opinion, undermining the work that is being done to battle against genuine cases of racism in this country, where people are being denied jobs because of the colour of their skin, are being physically and verbally abused because of the colour of their skin and are being bullied in schools because of the colour of their skin. Cases like this are extremely damaging to the anti-racism campaign because it detracts from the serious nature of actual racism.

People who are saying that they are offended by what Hodgson said honestly need to get a life. It was a joke, there was absolutely no offence intended and the person who was the subject of the joke has publicly said that he did not take offence.

That should be the end of the matter but I guess in this country, it will be anything but.

Discussions surrounding the subject of race are a massive problem in this country. People are far too sensitive and far too quick to take "offence" at harmless and innocent comments and it's really quite sad.

Pretty Boy
17-10-2013, 06:17 PM
I don't know much about Roy Hodgson tbh.

However i've always thought he comes across as a decent, relatively intelligent and pleasant enough man. He would be pretty low on my list of people i'd expect to make a racist comment and this has been taken way out of context.

Mountain out of a molehole imho.

lapsedhibee
17-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Really don't think this is an actual monkey:

“NASA decided they’d finally send a man up in a capsule after sending only monkeys in the earlier missions,” the joke goes.

“They fire the man and the monkey into space.

“The intercom crackles, 'Monkey, fire the retros.'

“A little later, 'Monkey, check the solid fuel supply.'

“Later still, “Monkey, check the life support systems for the man.'

“The astronaut takes umbrage and radioes NASA, 'When do I get to do something?'

“NASA replies, 'In 15 minutes - feed the monkey.'

Cheers for the full story.

Why did he feel the need to apologise immediately after saying it?

Did he do that? :hmmm:

Danderhall Hibs
17-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Really don't think this is an actual monkey:

“NASA decided they’d finally send a man up in a capsule after sending only monkeys in the earlier missions,” the joke goes.

“They fire the man and the monkey into space.

“The intercom crackles, 'Monkey, fire the retros.'

“A little later, 'Monkey, check the solid fuel supply.'

“Later still, “Monkey, check the life support systems for the man.'

“The astronaut takes umbrage and radioes NASA, 'When do I get to do something?'

“NASA replies, 'In 15 minutes - feed the monkey.'

Did he do that? :hmmm:

That's what they said in SSN.

Is this just the Sun trying to get Roy out and 'Arry in?

Andy74
17-10-2013, 07:45 PM
These sorts of stories really wind me up.

Anti-racism groups who are reacting to this story and demanding investigations to take place are, in my opinion, undermining the work that is being done to battle against genuine cases of racism in this country, where people are being denied jobs because of the colour of their skin, are being physically and verbally abused because of the colour of their skin and are being bullied in schools because of the colour of their skin. Cases like this are extremely damaging to the anti-racism campaign because it detracts from the serious nature of actual racism.

People who are saying that they are offended by what Hodgson said honestly need to get a life. It was a joke, there was absolutely no offence intended and the person who was the subject of the joke has publicly said that he did not take offence.

That should be the end of the matter but I guess in this country, it will be anything but.

Discussions surrounding the subject of race are a massive problem in this country. People are far too sensitive and far too quick to take "offence" at harmless and innocent comments and it's really quite sad.

That's not right though. No one was the subject of the joke. The astronaut maybe.

lapsedhibee
17-10-2013, 07:46 PM
That's what they said in SSN.

Is this just the Sun trying to get Roy out and 'Arry in?

Not much reason to suppose the MSM in Englandland is any better than here. They don't have an Old Firm to fawn over so the objects of their affection are more diverse - but 'arry's definitely one of them. Jolly good laugh that his dug had a bank account, and nothing suspicious or fraudulent about it at all. And how his halfwit son makes a living there as a fitba pundit is a mystery of really quite large proportions.

lapsedhibee
17-10-2013, 07:52 PM
That's not right though. No one was the subject of the joke. The astronaut maybe.

I think maybe Smalling was the astronaut analogue, and Townsend the monkey analogue.

If you're suggesting the joke's on the astronaut, shouldn't Hodgson now be apologising to Smalling for implying that he's a thick **** ? :devil:

Sir David Gray
17-10-2013, 08:00 PM

OK, I should have said the perceived subject of the joke.

The people who are taking this seriously are implying that Hodgson's comments were derogatory towards Andros Townsend.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2013, 09:22 AM
OK, I should have said the perceived subject of the joke.

The people who are taking this seriously are implying that Hodgson's comments were derogatory towards Andros Townsend.

They are the ones who are wrong, Hodgson made no bigoted remark. He mentioned a monkey while making a comment on how the game was panning out.

Maybe we need a list of words that are now banned for footballers and managers during the football season?

These new initiatives we are all supposed to adhere to, seem to be coming back to bite folk right on the arse. :thumbsup:

Treadstone
18-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Looks like 'our own' Gordon Smart is being implicated in the story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10386615/England-camp-has-been-let-down-by-anonymous-player-who-leaked-Roy-Hodgsons-space-monkey-joke.html

Apparently now the attention seeking Peter Herbert (The Society of Black Lawyers) is getting involved. Thought he would have learned his lesson over the Clattenburg debacle.

Danderhall Hibs
18-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Looks like 'our own' Gordon Smart is being implicated in the story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10386615/England-camp-has-been-let-down-by-anonymous-player-who-leaked-Roy-Hodgsons-space-monkey-joke.html

Apparently now the attention seeking Peter Herbert (The Society of Black Lawyers) is getting involved. Thought he would have learned his lesson over the Clattenburg debacle.

If the sun's involved I wouldn't be surprised if they made it up.

Which paper did Redknapp's book serialisation run in last week?

Haymaker
18-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Roy Hodgson has cause more controversy after describing Ashley Young as a "Football player".

silverhibee
18-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Roy Hodgson has cause more controversy after describing Ashley Young as a "Football player".

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
18-10-2013, 04:33 PM
If the sun's involved I wouldn't be surprised if they made it up.

Which paper did Redknapp's book serialisation run in last week?

More likely that Frank Lampard, 'Arry's nephew and dropped the other night, is the dressing room mole who leaked the 'story'.

I really can't believe that anyone is still trying to make this out to be racism. It's only going to dicredit that organisation in future. Thankfully Kick It Out have declared the matter closed as far as they are concerned.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2013, 04:58 PM
If England were to go on and win the world cup, would it be a black or white person who would be first to say thank god that monkey is off our back? :confused: