PDA

View Full Version : Have Hibs Ever Played In Poland?

Chuck Rhoades
15-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Having a chat with a boy in work and he raised the question. Any details?

Golden Bear
15-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Not according to this:-

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_record_by_country.php

Purple & Green
15-10-2013, 11:33 AM
We did play Górnik Zabrze at Easter Road in a friendly once. I can't think of us ever playing in Poland though.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Not according to this:-

Not so sure about these stats in relation to Brasil. We played at least 3 times in Brasil: Vasco 3-3, Botafogo 3-1, Fluminese 3-0.

Purple & Green
15-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Not so sure about these stats in relation to Brasil. We played at least 3 times in Brasil: Vasco 3-3, Botafogo 3-1, Fluminese 3-0.

They relate to competitive games only, although I'm not sure why I just didn't put those world club games as competitive as I think I have full details on them. The single game v a Brazil side relates to when Hibs played as Toronto.

joebakerforever
15-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Another Edinburgh sports club has been in action in Poland in the past.

The then Old Meadowbank based Edinburgh Monarchs Speedway team raced six matches in Poland in October 1967.

The venues were Bydgoszcz, Gdansk, Gorzow, Krakow, Wroclaw and Rybnik.

monktonharp
15-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Not so sure about these stats in relation to Brasil. We played at least 3 times in Brasil: Vasco 3-3, Botafogo 3-1, Fluminese 3-0.unbeaten by Brasilians then?:greengrin

monktonharp
15-10-2013, 03:24 PM
also unbeaten by Polish teams too:greengrin

hibbybrian
15-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Gornik won 2-1 at ER :wink:

Ray_
15-10-2013, 04:21 PM

You beat me to it Brian :greengrin, a couple of weeks earlier they had totally outplayed Rangers over two legs in the Cup Winners Cup, beating them 3-1 in both games. Gornick reached the final and was beaten 2-1 by Man City. Wlodzimierz Lubansi was their great talent and played wonderfully well at ER in that 1969 friendly.

He went on to tear England a new one in the home leg in June 73, as Poland beat them 2-0 in that famous campaign to get in to the 1974 World Cup finals, but he got a serious leg break in that game and it wrecked his career. He only won four more caps after that, the first of which was four years later, he was fantastic against Rangers and in that friendly against us and it is a great shame how his career pittered out after the injury.

eastterrace
15-10-2013, 05:38 PM
You beat me to it Brian :greengrin, a couple of weeks earlier they had totally outplayed Rangers over two legs in the Cup Winners Cup, beating them 3-1 in both games. Gornick reached the final and was beaten 2-1 by Man City. Wlodzimierz Lubansi was their great talent and played wonderfully well at ER in that 1969 friendly.

He went on to tear England a new one in the home leg in June 73, as Poland beat them 2-0 in that famous campaign to get in to the 1974 World Cup finals, but he got a serious leg break in that game and it wrecked his career. He only won four more caps after that, the first of which was four years later, he was fantastic against Rangers and in that friendly against us and it is a great shame how his career pittered out after the injury.

eric stevenson was superb against gornick as well, he ripped them part but we never took our chances

Ray_
15-10-2013, 06:02 PM
eric stevenson was superb against gornick as well, he ripped them part but we never took our chances

Superb game against two very skilled and attacking teams, it was about the only time in my youth that I never left the game totally gutted that we had lost. Lubanski was special though.

Who didn't Eric Stevenson rip a new one against :greengrin

I remember the Liverpool fans raving about him at Annfield during the game just before Xmas, 1970. they had pretty good wingers back then as well, Steve Heighway, Ian Callahan & Peter Thompson.

weonlywon6-2
15-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Every other week we play in Poland.Leith is like little Warsaw when youre out and about!!

delbert
15-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Gornik won 2-1 at ER :wink:

My very first Hibs game, I wasn't much of a football fan at 9 years old but my old man who was a Hibby all his life decided to take me, remember coming over the top of the old terracing with the floodlights blazing down and that was it I was hooked. I reckon my Dad, God bless him, knew exactly what he was doing, glad he did, cos 44 years later I'm still a Hibby and proud of it. Dont remember too much about the game other than the result although I'm pretty sure Peter Cormack got our goal that night, but I stand to be corrected, went to loads more games with him after that, wish I still could, memories eh ?!

eastterrace
15-10-2013, 07:33 PM
My very first Hibs game, I wasn't much of a football fan at 9 years old but my old man who was a Hibby all his life decided to take me, remember coming over the top of the old terracing with the floodlights blazing down and that was it I was hooked. I reckon my Dad, God bless him, knew exactly what he was doing, glad he did, cos 44 years later I'm still a Hibby and proud of it. Dont remember too much about the game other than the result although I'm pretty sure Peter Cormack got our goal that night, but I stand to be corrected, went to loads more games with him after that, wish I still could, memories eh ?!

im sure it was a penalty we got think joe davis took it as he was or penalty taker, but my memory a bit clouded so could be wrong

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Superb game against two very skilled and attacking teams, it was about the only time in my youth that I never left the game totally gutted that we had lost. Lubanski was special though.

Who didn't Eric Stevenson rip a new one against :greengrin

I remember the Liverpool fans raving about him at Annfield during the game just before Xmas, 1970. they had pretty good wingers back then as well, Steve Heighway, Ian Callahan & Peter Thompson.

Rightbackski

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 07:56 PM
im sure it was a penalty we got think joe davis took it as he was or penalty taker, but my memory a bit clouded so could be wrong

Was indeed a penalty but it was Peter Cormack that took it :aok:

eastterrace
15-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Was indeed a penalty but it was Peter Cormack that took it :aok:

probably joe davis away by then , so will go with your better judgement:top marks

mca
15-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Every other week we play in Poland.Leith is like little Warsaw when youre out and about!!

I understand.. the european invasion has even reached the ouskirts of west-lothian now.. but met a few polish hibbys the other week and if they bring money to hibs whilst flooking up our economy then so be it.. :wink:

IberianHibernian
15-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Wasn`t at the friendly against Gornik but remember it being mentioned . A lot of friendlies bring up stories - the Dutch goalie wearing glasses in 5 v 0 defeat about the same time ( Nijmegen maybe ) , Gordon Banks keepimg a clean sheet for Stoke on a very misty night ( I was in Dunbar End and could hardly see halfway line and Banks only had one eye then ) , Jackie Mac scoring at Leicester in our only away win of season ... . Would a friendly against a Polish team not be a good way ( if handled rightly by Hibs and supporters ) of promoting Hibs in Poland ?

Hiber-nation
15-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Wasn`t at the friendly against Gornik but remember it being mentioned . A lot of friendlies bring up stories - the Dutch goalie wearing glasses in 5 v 0 defeat about the same time ( Nijmegen maybe ) , Gordon Banks keepimg a clean sheet for Stoke on a very misty night ( I was in Dunbar End and could hardly see halfway line and Banks only had one eye then ) , Jackie Mac scoring at Leicester in our only away win of season ... . Would a friendly against a Polish team not be a good way ( if handled rightly by Hibs and supporters ) of promoting Hibs in Poland ?

Hah, forgot about the bespectacled keeper! Was it not Maastricht?

The game against Stoke was a strange one, not sure why Banks played. I think a very young Garth Crooks scored for Stoke.

Also recall a friendly against Swansea in the early 80s when Leighton James ripped us apart.

Sorry for going off-topic ...:wink:

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 09:56 PM

The game against Stoke was a strange one, not sure why Banks played. I think a very young Garth Crooks scored for Stoke.

Also recall a friendly against Swansea in the early 80s when Leighton James ripped us apart.

Sorry for going off-topic ...:wink:

The 5-0 game was Nijmegan when the barrel scored them all :greengrin

Maastricht was 3-0 Graham, Cropley and Davidson

IberianHibernian
15-10-2013, 10:00 PM

Sorry for going off-topic ...:wink:Apologies also for going off topic . You`re right about Crooks . Think we played Swansea a few times at ER in 70s / 80s / 90s . I remember a 1 v 0 win on a Friday the day before Scotland played Wales in a rugby international at Murrayfield (match was supposed to attract Welsh rugby fans but didn`t succeed ) but think later results weren`t so good .

PatHead
15-10-2013, 10:10 PM
The 5-0 game was Nijmegan when the barrel scored them all :greengrin

Maastricht was 3-0 Graham, Cropley and Davidson

Kenny Davidson?

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Kenny Davidson?

Yep :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2013, 10:14 PM

We've played in the south of morocco and we've played in the USA, not Poland though! ;-)

IberianHibernian
15-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Kenny Davidson?Are you sure about this ? Thought game with Dutch goalie with specs was before Harper`s time at Hibs so Kenny Davidson sounds about right ( my first Hibs European match was against Victoria Guimaraes and I think Davidson scored in it , if not he played in it ) .

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Are you sure about this ? Thought game with Dutch goalie with specs was before Harper`s time at Hibs so Kenny Davidson sounds about right ( my first Hibs European match was against Victoria Guimaraes and I think Davidson scored in it , if not he played in it ) .

Not sure about the specs :greengrin

The KD match was played at the end of the 70/71 season when Hibs played a series of friendlies following cancellation of a trip to North America and Bermuda!

Wigan 1 Hibs 1 Joe Baker
Oldham 1 Hibs 0
Elgin City 0 Hibs 3 Jimmy O'Rourke 2 and John Brownlie
Nairn County 1 Hibs 1 Johnny Graham
The Maastricht game
Real Majorca 2 Hibs 1 Joe Baker

Who cared about Bermuda when Elgin and Wigan were on offer :greengrin

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Apologies also for going off topic . You`re right about Crooks . Think we played Swansea a few times at ER in 70s / 80s / 90s . I remember a 1 v 0 win on a Friday the day before Scotland played Wales in a rugby international at Murrayfield (match was supposed to attract Welsh rugby fans but didn`t succeed ) but think later results weren`t so good .

Tuesday 5 August 1980 drew 1-1 at ER. Leighton James and Arthur Duncan scored. Terracing wasn't opened for the game so the massive crowd of c3,000 had to slum it in the stand and enclosure :greengrin Was also the first game at ER played after the undersoil heating was installed

Friday 18 February 1983 Hibs won 1-0 Willie Irvine scoring. 16 year old Paul Kane made his debut off the bench

10 August 1983 Hibs won 2-0 Brian Rice and Gary Murray

As an aside, the season ticket prices for 1982/83 were Centre Stand – Adult £60; Junior/OAP £40; North Stand – Adult £50; Junior/OAP £35; North Enclosure – Adult £35; Junior/OAP £25 and Main Terracing – Adult £32; Junior/OAP £22.

Changed days :wink:

Ray_
15-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Not sure about the specs :greengrin

The KD match was played at the end of the 70/71 season when Hibs played a series of friendlies following cancellation of a trip to North America and Bermuda!

Wigan 1 Hibs 1 Joe Baker
Oldham 1 Hibs 0
Elgin City 0 Hibs 3 Jimmy O'Rourke 2 and John Brownlie
Nairn County 1 Hibs 1 Johnny Graham
The Maastricht game
Real Majorca 2 Hibs 1 Joe Baker

Who cared about Bermuda when Elgin and Wigan were on offer :greengrin

Bloody Hell! I thought my memory was pretty decent from back then, I'll be like King Edward and think again :greengrin The Maastricht game, Dave Ewing's last home game as manager and what a performance by Alex Cropley, which was a prelude to the massive impact he had playing on the wing, under Eddie Turnbull, at the start of 71's season's league cup section games. Almost immediately he was being touted by the English press as a 200k superstar and he was linked to all the big clubs down south.