PDA

View Full Version : Your Hibs Team?

heidtheba
13-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Just a wee thought coming on from a discussion with a friend the other day. Which Hibs line up is 'yours' - the one you most identify with, for whatever reason. Not the best line-up or the most successful, just the one you first think of when you think of Hibs.

Mine is from my first season as an ST holder (and apologies if memory has a few wrong uns in here!)

Leighton
Miller
Mitchell
Tweed
Hunter
Hamilton
McGinlay

O'Neill
McAllister

Jackson
Wright

Subs
Evans
Findlay
Farrell
Harper

Billychaotic182
13-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Ben Williams

David Murphy
Le God
Rob Jones
Steven Whitticker

Ivan Spoule
Scott Brown
Russle Latapy
Derek Riordan

Steven Fletcher
Leigh Griffiths

Jonnyboy
13-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Easy one for me

Herriot

Brownlie
Black
Blackley
Schaedler

Edwards
Stanton
Cropley

O'Rourke
Gordon
Duncan

Sir David Gray
13-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Ben Williams

David Murphy
Le God
Rob Jones
Steven Whitticker

Ivan Spoule
Scott Brown
Russle Latapy
Derek Riordan

Steven Fletcher
Leigh Griffiths

I think the OP is asking for people to name their favourite ever line up from a particular era (i.e. one that actually played together in the same match), rather than just their all time fantasy Hibs XI.

Jonnyboy
13-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Ben Williams

David Murphy
Le God
Rob Jones
Steven Whitticker

Ivan Spoule
Scott Brown
Russle Latapy
Derek Riordan

Steven Fletcher
Leigh Griffiths

Nice line up but not answering the OP correctly :wink:

It's not your all time favourite eleven, it's the team you most closely associate with - in other words they must have all played in the same eleven :aok:

PatHead
13-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Easy one for me

Herriot

Brownlie
Black
Blackley
Schaedler

Edwards
Stanton
Cropley

O'Rourke
Gordon
Duncan

X2.

rcarter1
13-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Has to be Mowbrays team(s)/squad

Malkowski
Makalambay

Whittaker
Caldwell
Smith
Hogg
Jones
Murphy

Brown
Beauzelin
Thomson
Stewart
Shiels
Sproule
Zemmama

OConnor
Riordan
Fletcher
Benjilloun

AlbertK86
13-10-2013, 07:18 PM
3 fantastic teams for me in order

Turnbulls tornadoes

McLeish's boys led by Le God and the magician that was Russell Latapy

Mowbrays teenage upstarts

all three teams were a joy to watch

Newcastlehibby
13-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Wilson
Duncan
Davis
Stanton
Madsen
McGraw
Scott
Quinn
Stein
Cormack
Stevenson
The 5-0 conquerors of Napoli.

thebakerboy
13-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Any team with Joe Baker in it , preferably also with Johnny McLeod and Davie Gibson or also the team that beat Real Madrid with Hamilton Cormack Quinn and Martin.

Lucius Apuleius
13-10-2013, 07:31 PM
X2.

x3

Although I wouldn't have written it like that!!!! :-)

hibsfan7
13-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Herriot
brownlie
black
blackley
shaedler
edwards
stanton
cropley
orourke
gordon
duncan

by a country mile

the best hibs team that i have ever seen

Billychaotic182
13-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Aw sorry lads was playing football manager at the same time so didn't read it properly

Ok my team would be then

Simon Brown (god is this the best we could get at this time)

Murphy
Jones
Caldwell
Whitticker

Zemmama
Thompson
Boozy
Brown

Riordan
O'Connor

Subs
Ally Brown
Hogg
Sproule
Stewart
Fletcher
Deano
Killen

So that's TM's 2005 team really. Was the most enjoyable time as a hibs fan with a good few wins at ibrox

Fergus52
13-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Aw sorry lads was playing football manager at the same time so didn't read it properly

Ok my team would be then

Simon Brown (god is this the best we could get at this time)

Murphy
Jones
Caldwell
Whitticker

Zemmama
Thompson
Boozy
Brown

Riordan
O'Connor

Subs
Ally Brown
Hogg
Sproule
Stewart
Fletcher
Deano
Killen

So that's TM's 2005 team really. Was the most enjoyable time as a hibs fan with a good few wins at ibrox

did jones and caldwell play together?

I thought jones was signed as his replacement, but i might be wrong

hfc rd
13-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Has to be Mowbrays team(s)/squad

Malkowski
Makalambay

Whittaker
Caldwell
Smith
Hogg
Jones
Murphy

Brown
Beauzelin
Thomson
Stewart
Shiels
Sproule
Zemmama

OConnor
Riordan
Fletcher
Benjilloun

The goalkeeping situation is the only part that has me biting my nails. If only if we had a good GK during that time.

Puddocky
13-10-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm nostalgic for the days when team line-ups (numbered 1-11 of course) were read out in 2-3-5 order, with the appropriate pauses between each section. Radio commentators especially always used to do that, long after formations had moved on to 4-2-4, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 or whatever. So I don't disagree with posters above, but my favourite team just sounds better if rendered as:

Herriot;
Brownlie, Schaedler;
Stanton, Black, Blackley;
Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley and Duncan.

Hiber-nation
13-10-2013, 09:00 PM
did jones and caldwell play together?

I thought jones was signed as his replacement, but i might be wrong

Yeah, I'm sure you're correct. Think Caldwell left at the end of 2005-06 and Jonesy signed for 2006-07.

Pretty Boy
13-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Would have to be a combination of teams from Mowbrays 1st 2 years here.

I watched Hibs for a long time before that and will watch for even longer after. But that was when i most enjoyed going to games. 4 of us travelling every week from Aberdeen, always an adventure, playing some great stuff and winning more than we lost. Good company, a lot of laughs and a fantastic football team.

Bobo
13-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Easy one for me

Herriot

Brownlie
Black
Blackley
Schaedler

Edwards
Stanton
Cropley

O'Rourke
Gordon
Duncan

Ditto :flag:

blackpoolhibs
13-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Easy one for me

Herriot

Brownlie
Black
Blackley
Schaedler

Edwards
Stanton
Cropley

O'Rourke
Gordon
Duncan

Wilson
Duncan
Davis
Stanton
Madsen
McGraw
Scott
Quinn
Stein
Cormack
Stevenson

These are the two teams i remember most fondly, and if we'd have married them two teams together over time, we could have seen Hibs winning a European trophy and League championship.

Although we probably still needed a better quality centre half to win the Scottish cup? :wink:

B.H.F.C
13-10-2013, 09:12 PM
The team from 06/07 because we won a trophy that year playing some great stuff.

Its the only trophy I've been there to see Hibs win as I was only 4 when they won it in 91 so it's an easy one for me.

Argylehibby
13-10-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm nostalgic for the days when team line-ups (numbered 1-11 of course) were read out in 2-3-5 order, with the appropriate pauses between each section. Radio commentators especially always used to do that, long after formations had moved on to 4-2-4, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 or whatever. So I don't disagree with posters above, but my favourite team just sounds better if rendered as:

Herriot;
Brownlie, Schaedler;

:agree:

J-C
13-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Easy one for me

Herriot

Brownlie
Black
Blackley
Schaedler

Edwards
Stanton
Cropley

O'Rourke
Gordon
Duncan

:top marks

bournehibby
13-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Any team with Joe Baker in it , preferably also with Johnny McLeod and Davie Gibson or also the team that beat Real Madrid with Hamilton Cormack Quinn and Martin.

Have to choose that team (also beat Rangers x 3 that season ) as I went abroad after that season and sadly never saw what was probably the best team in my lifetime ie TT,s :boo hoo:

bh

SonOfDavidFrancey
13-10-2013, 09:54 PM

Herriot;
Brownlie, Schaedler;

agree 99% but i think you also need AND between brownlie and schaedler, and between black and blackley, for it to sound right.

Eyrie
13-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Burridge
Miller
Hunter
McIntyre
Mitchell
Weir
Hamilton
McLeod
McGinlay
Wright
Evans

HoboHarry
13-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Herriot
brownlie
black
blackley
shaedler
edwards
stanton
cropley
orourke
gordon
duncan

by a country mile

the best hibs team that i have ever seen

Yes yes and a thousand times yes.....

MichelleHibs
14-10-2013, 06:06 AM
Has to be mcleishs team that finished 3rd n went to Athens! Although mowbrays team was a close second!

HappyHibby93
15-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Ben Williams

De La Cruz
Sauzee
Laursen
David Murphy

Latapy
Scott Brown (Defensive mid)
Zemmama (attacking mid)
Riorden

Leigh Griffiths
Steven Fletcher

Aldo
15-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Colgan
Smith. Franck. Fen wick

Lovall. ONeil. Jack latapy. Uli
Mixu. Zitelli

I picked this team because of its balance with a mixture of hard working and skilful players.

Had everything IMHO.

wookie70
15-10-2013, 03:35 PM
The Team of the late 70s would be mine. Something along the lines of McArthur, Brazil, Stewart, Paterson, McNamara, Duncan, Bremner, McLeod, Callachan, Rae, Higgins.

Not sure that team ever appeared on the same pitch as a starting line up but those players came to mind first. So much more character in sport back then. My favourite player at the time was Jackie McNamara but also liked Ally McLeod. Some true legends from the days when tackling was allowed.

southsider
16-10-2013, 02:13 PM
This team is based on guys i actually saw play for the Hibs and at the time they played. For that reason i have excuded Joe as i only saw him on his return and Bestie as he has a million miles from 'El Beatle'. 1) Goram 2)Brownnlee 5)Sauzee 6) Blackley 3)Shades 7)Marinello 4)PS 8)Desy B 11) Eric Stevenson 8)Stein 9)McBride (snr). Appologies to the guys i had to leave out like McNamara, G. Stewart, B.Duncan, Gordon, Latapy, many,many others and of course Corky (every on e knows his name !)

Jonnyboy
16-10-2013, 07:33 PM
This team is based on guys i actually saw play for the Hibs and at the time they played. For that reason i have excuded Joe as i only saw him on his return and Bestie as he has a million miles from 'El Beatle'. 1) Goram 2)Brownnlee 5)Sauzee 6) Blackley 3)Shades 7)Marinello 4)PS 8)Desy B 11) Eric Stevenson 8)Stein 9)McBride (snr). Appologies to the guys i had to leave out like McNamara, G. Stewart, B.Duncan, Gordon, Latapy, many,many others and of course Corky (every on e knows his name !)

That's an impressive team :agree:

Alfred E Newman
16-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Wilson
Duncan
Davis
Stanton
Madsen
McGraw
Scott
Quinn
Stein
Cormack
Stevenson
:not worth

andrew70
17-10-2013, 08:08 AM
As above, 3-5-2

Colgan

Smith Sauzee Fenwick

Lovell O'Neil Jack Latapy Laursen

Paatelainen Zitelli

I dont think I'll ever see such a well designed team again, with the perfect mix of true grit, professionalism and outrageous brilliance.