13-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Which Hibs players were involved?

hibby rae
13-10-2013, 04:23 PM

All of them except Alan Rough.

derek0762
13-10-2013, 04:29 PM
And the little snake that is Sally McMoist had a sly dig at Mark Fulton during the melee!

Green Reaper
13-10-2013, 04:37 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HYjSyWIli0E

Mental game.....go home ya' Huns

Viva_Palmeiras
13-10-2013, 04:38 PM
All of them except Alan Rough.

Even the good yins had an aversion to coming off their line.

Keith_M
13-10-2013, 04:54 PM
I think originally that, in addition to the Souness red, 20 players were yellow carded.

That included Beastie, who was lying prostrate on the turf after Souness' assault. A yellow card for being chopped in half...only in Scotland

trev the hat
13-10-2013, 05:12 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HYjSyWIli0E

Mental game.....go home ya' Huns

Best atmosphere I've experienced at ER no question, miss that terracing with the sways big time, good memories.

Fife-Hibee
13-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Loved that day, it was mental :-))

Hiber-nation
13-10-2013, 05:15 PM

It was Stuart Beedie who tackled him anyway. No Hibs player did anything wrong. Later on Colin West got away with a shocking elbow on Stevie Cowan.

What an atmosphere that was...

Kaiser1962
13-10-2013, 05:29 PM
And the little snake that is Sally McMoist had a sly dig at Mark Fulton during the melee!

Total sucker punch from the cowardly bawbag.

hibbybrian
13-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Better vid:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdesakrwn0

Really?

hibbybrian
13-10-2013, 06:11 PM
I think originally that, in addition to the Souness red, 20 players were yellow carded.

That included Beastie, who was lying prostrate on the turf after Souness' assault. A yellow card for being chopped in half...only in Scotland

Beastie missed 8 games through the injury that GS inflicted upon him and Hibs only scored 4 goals during his absence :grr:

as for McMoist :rolleyes:

hibees 7062
13-10-2013, 06:30 PM
It was Stuart Beedie who tackled him anyway. No Hibs player did anything wrong. Later on Colin West got away with a shocking elbow on Stevie Cowan.

It was a belter :agree:

Glory Lurker
13-10-2013, 06:37 PM
You couldn't have written a better script. Rangers were supposed to be moving up to a different level, and we were supposed to have no chance. Winning was great enough, but Souness getting sent off too was just unbelievable.

Green Reaper
13-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Really?

Duh! Deleted it

esjorto
13-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Alan Rough was already on a yellow card so if he had left his goal area he would have automatically got a second yellow and therefore a red and a sending off.

Argylehibby
13-10-2013, 06:54 PM

The elbow on Cowan was from Terry Butcher. West was the one that everyone thought had punched Fulton until the TV pictures showed that McCoist had done it and run away. Cowan was yellow carded in the same incident with Butcher for pulling his jersey. Souness, McCoist and Butcher should all have walked that day.

greenpaper55
13-10-2013, 06:56 PM
For some reason the atmosphere was electric that day, don't know if it was because Rangers had all their big name signings strutting their stuff or what but you kind of sensed that Hibs were up for it and would show them not to take them lightly.

AlbertK86
13-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Still the most venomous atmosphere I have ever felt at a football match.

Bettered only for best atmosphere by the AEK Athens home tie

The place was going mental even before this happened and that incident just tipped the balance from electric to hatred

My head was thumping for hours after

The singing, screaming and taunting at Souness and his big money signings as well as the hordes of the current buns has never been bettered since!!

They arrogant barstewards turned up expecting to steamroller us but were put right back in their box.

The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just thinking back to it.

.... and big Fulton is ..by his own admission ...still very embarrassed that Fat Sally decked him !!!!

Cabbage East
13-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Is there no a video of the goals?

derek0762
13-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Still the most venomous atmosphere I have ever felt at a football match.

Bettered only for best atmosphere by the AEK Athens home tie

The place was going mental even before this happened and that incident just tipped the balance from electric to hatred

My head was thumping for hours after

The singing, screaming and taunting at Souness and his big money signings as well as the hordes of the current buns has never been bettered since!!

They arrogant barstewards turned up expecting to steamroller us but were put right back in their box.

The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just thinking back to it.

.... and big Fulton is ..by his own admission ...still very embarrassed that Fat Sally decked him !!!!

The atmosphere that day was something else, and big Fulton should not feel embarrassed at all when you get an unexpected right hook from the side by a slimy cowardly little prick it's bound to knock you off balance and down!

Ricky Bobby
13-10-2013, 07:20 PM
The most tense atmosphere at a game that i have been to.
If i remember correctly there were are number of rangers supporters in the east, who were taken trackside to the Dunbar end when things kicked off.

Green Reaper
13-10-2013, 07:34 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpOIwA1OcI

Hope it works as highlights of whole game, great save by Roughie at the end

Lucius Apuleius
13-10-2013, 07:35 PM
I don't think venomous begins to describe it to be honest. I loved every soddin minute of it. Am I right in thinking the fences were still up then?

OxoHibby
13-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Brilliant atmosphere that day and brilliant win
I remember before the game the weedgie meeja basically saying there was no point in Hibs turning up

Hiber-nation
13-10-2013, 07:48 PM
The elbow on Cowan was from Terry Butcher. West was the one that everyone thought had punched Fulton until the TV pictures showed that McCoist had done it and run away. Cowan was yellow carded in the same incident with Butcher for pulling his jersey. Souness, McCoist and Butcher should all have walked that day.

Yeah you're right, just remembered it. Shocking!

Pretty Boy
13-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Why was Cowan booked after almost being decapitated by Terry Butcher?

trev the hat
13-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Thanks for posting that, just watched it thru. Didn't realise how good a game Kirkwood had, or Beastie was ko'd for 8 games. A Hun team totally out played & rightly sent packing, wee Mickey also sticks out for me.
Ps how keech was that huddy West.
As the bible says, the wise men come from the EAST :-)

Pretty Boy
13-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Sure Souness gave an interview a couple of years ago saying he was very embarrassed about his actions that day especially the way he let his Dad down.

Thing about Souness was that he was a dirty, arrogant dick but never pretended to be anything else. Great player but a right dirty ****. I'm not condoning that but someone like McCoist annoys me far more with his 'cheeky chappie' act yet he was and is a sneaky, snivelling little rat. His actions back then, with the Neil Lennon incident a few years back and practically every day now with his bleating to the press show him up for what he is. Thankfully more and more people seem to be seeing him for what he is now.

AlbertK86
13-10-2013, 08:38 PM

Nice one Green Reaper.... just watched that with my laddie ..... fantastic stuff and cannae believe Butcher never got sent off for that elbow and Durrant never even got booked for his two footer on Mickey

and then the blue nose commentator moanin about Hibs wasting time at the end

GIRUY rangers

Cannae believe that was 27 years ago

down-the-slope
13-10-2013, 08:39 PM
in the first few years i started watching Hibs_things still pretty rough off the pitch with Hooliganism a big feature...this match was billed as if the Messiah had come to change Rangers fortunes....

Very pleasing to be there and see them sent homeward to think again :greengrin

Sergey
13-10-2013, 09:00 PM
That was 'Mental Polis' that day, both on and off the park. Huge rucks at the top of Leith Walk after the game and I will forever remember this match and day.

Souness was sheer filth and he was a proper c--t. That day made me as proud as I've been as a Hibee. Doing that lot in the League Cup semi the next season over two legs is also up there.

Millwall away was another...but better no go there, eh!

greenginger
13-10-2013, 09:00 PM
A story I heard about that day told by the Hibs Doctor Jimmy Ledingham who was my doctor too.

After the stramash and things had calmed down a bit Souness wanted to go into the Hibs dressing room to apologise to Beastie. Hibs had a part time groundsman /handyman called Jackie Auld who had the job of looking after the dressing rooms on match days.
Jackie had been a roofer, worked for Harry Swan, and although retired was as strong as an ox and refused to let Souness into the Hibs dressing room without permission. Souness tried to push passed Jackie but Jackie picked him up by the throat with one huge roofers hand and pinned him against a wall and told him to wait until he sought permission for Souness to go in.
By the time Jackie returned Souness had sloped off back to the Rangers changing room.

I don't think that story was in Souness's book. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
13-10-2013, 09:08 PM
That was 'Mental Polis' that day, both on and off the park. Huge rucks at the top of Leith Walk after the game and I will forever remember this match and day.

Souness was sheer filth and he was a proper c--t. That day made me as proud as I've been as a Hibee. Doing that lot in the League Cup semi the next season over two legs is also up there.

I wasn't there but was stopped at New Cross Gate (nearest station to a The New Den) one a Saturday well after full time with my wife in 2000. I was aware of the Hibstory and thought carefully when asked by these guys in their 50s-60s wearing Millwall scarves "what's your team scotchman Rangers or Celtic?" Well I though 'these guys are mature and besides I'm here with my wife' well the answer didn't go down too well and it confirmed their reputation is well deserved. Time over I'd have said Partick Thistle...

FranckSuzy
13-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I remember that day well too. It was a lovely sunny Saturday afternoon and ER was bouncing. I was in the old West Enclosure and it seemed as if we had a birds eye view of all the 'action'. My favourite memory of the day (apart from the action on the pitch) was watching Scotsport/Sportscene later and seeing the shots of Souness, looking slightly sheepish, sitting in the North Stand after his red card :lolrangers: :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
13-10-2013, 09:24 PM
I remember that day well too. It was a lovely sunny Saturday afternoon and ER was bouncing. I was in the old West Enclosure and it seemed as if we had a birds eye view of all the 'action'. My favourite memory of the day (apart from the action on the pitch) was watching Scotsport/Sportscene later and seeing the shots of Souness, looking slightly sheepish, sitting in the North Stand after his red card :lolrangers: :greengrin

"The 'hing aboot wummin is they always git a burdz-eye view" Bam Cameron ... ;)

FranckSuzy
13-10-2013, 09:39 PM
"The 'hing aboot wummin is they always git a burdz-eye view" Bam Cameron ... ;)

He'd get a :take thatif I ever met him :agree: :rolleyes:

hibees 7062
13-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Better no :wink:

hibees 7062
13-10-2013, 09:51 PM
He'd get a :take thatif I ever met him :agree: :rolleyes:

Did you know we had 2 home games before the derby ? :duck::greengrin

Miguel
13-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Up there with the best Hibs games ever.

keep the faith
13-10-2013, 10:25 PM
In the tv commentary, jock brown referred to the game as "football of the red meat variety"
That summed up that day alright!!

CmoantheHibs
13-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Most games at that time had a tribal atmosphere but that game was special.The press coverage was pretty much all about them and how wonderful they were.We were just the lambs to the slaughter.A good lesson to be learnt from that day is that together we really are stronger.The players and the support were both up for it and we turned them over.The atmosphere was both electric and poisonous which, I feel, was the main reason they cracked and we turned them over that day.For sheer adrenalin and emotion its up there amongst the best games that Ive been to.

Cabbage East
13-10-2013, 10:56 PM

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Archie70
13-10-2013, 11:29 PM
As much as I loathe them and hope they get everything they deserve I am looking forward to their first visit back at Easter Road.

Kato
13-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Top quality youtubage. Thank you. Whole day was a scream from start to finish. Finished very very late.

Archie70
13-10-2013, 11:46 PM
One of the things I remember most was my dad brought an old friend of his to the game. He must have been about 50-year-old. He had been an ardent hibby but hadn't been for a few years. He sat there before the game telling us about how good it used to be and that football wasn't as good as it was and how he could never be so passionate about the game as he used to be.

At half time we were pulling him off the fence!

He bought a season ticket that week and, though well in his 70s now, has renewed it every year since.

When we go for a beer and reminisce he still on occasion talks about that as one of the best games he's ever seen.

That game had everything.

Ottawa Hibs
14-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Best atmosphere I've experienced at ER no question, miss that terracing with the sways big time, good memories.

For me too. Never experienced anything quite like it before or since. The joy of winning that game..it felt like we defeated pure evil....

Hibrandenburg
14-10-2013, 05:38 AM
I wasn't there but was stopped at New Cross Gate (nearest station to a The New Den) one a Saturday well after full time with my wife in 2000. I was aware of the Hibstory and thought carefully when asked by these guys in their 50s-60s wearing Millwall scarves "what's your team scotchman Rangers or Celtic?" Well I though 'these guys are mature and besides I'm here with my wife' well the answer didn't go down too well and it confirmed their reputation is well deserved. Time over I'd have said Partick Thistle...

I was at the game and spent a night down there a few weeks later. Got talking to some of their mob in a bar later and didn't have to buy a drink all night.

I absolutely hate London but that was one positive memory of my time spent down there.

SkintHibby
14-10-2013, 07:11 AM
I too was at that game. What an atmosphere. Scorcher of a day too. Brilliant!:greengrin

Killiehibbie
14-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Why was Cowan booked after almost being decapitated by Terry Butcher?The ref lost control, had no idea who done what, just sent Souness off and booked everybody else. I'm actually surprised he didn't book Rough again just for being on the pitch. What a waste of money, what a waste of money. Huns getting smacked all over the place after the game. That was the start of Rangers financial problems.

FranckSuzy
14-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Did you know we had 2 home games before the derby ? :duck::greengrin

Shut it you! ;)

SkintHibby
14-10-2013, 08:59 AM
As much as I loathe them and hope they get everything they deserve I am looking forward to their first visit back at Easter Road.

Newco huns have never played at ER before!:agree:

JimBHibees
14-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Does anyone remember both West and McCoist clearly spitting on Hibs players in the first half of that game mainly Fulton I think. It was absolutely disgusting. Surprise, surprise it wasnt covered in the mainstream press but there was a comment by Holmes (Murray's main lackey at the time) in one of the broadsheets (Scotsman?) on the Monday mentioning the spitting and that it wouldnt happen again. Dont suppose that was in Super's autobiography either. :greengrin

mim
14-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. Could someone list the Hibs team that day?

cabbageandribs1875
14-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the replies. Could someone list the Hibs team that day?

Hibernian: Alan Rough, Alan Sneddon, Joe Tortolano, Billy Kirkwood, Mark Fulton, Gordon Chisholm, Stuart Beedie, Michael Weir, Steve Cowan, George McCluskey, Eddie May.
Subs: Gordon Rae for Beedie, Willie Irvine for McCluskey.

mim
14-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Hibernian: Alan Rough, Alan Sneddon, Joe Tortolano, Billy Kirkwood, Mark Fulton, Gordon Chisholm, Stuart Beedie, Michael Weir, Steve Cowan, George McCluskey, Eddie May.
Subs: Gordon Rae for Beedie, Willie Irvine for McCluskey.

Ta

Bishop Hibee
14-10-2013, 11:09 AM
24000 capacity crowd, roasting hot day, mental game. McCoist throwing himself to the ground for the pen and then hitting Fulton and running away. What a rat.

Second only to the AEK Athens game for amosphere.

Argylehibby
14-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Did McCoist not get sent off playing for Scotland for a similar cowardly act?

Seveno
14-10-2013, 12:01 PM
A story I heard about that day told by the Hibs Doctor Jimmy Ledingham who was my doctor too.

After the stramash and things had calmed down a bit Souness wanted to go into the Hibs dressing room to apologise to Beastie. Hibs had a part time groundsman /handyman called Jackie Auld who had the job of looking after the dressing rooms on match days.
Jackie had been a roofer, worked for Harry Swan, and although retired was as strong as an ox and refused to let Souness into the Hibs dressing room without permission. Souness tried to push passed Jackie but Jackie picked him up by the throat with one huge roofers hand and pinned him against a wall and told him to wait until he sought permission for Souness to go in.
By the time Jackie returned Souness had sloped off back to the Rangers changing room.

I don't think that story was in Souness's book. :greengrin

I knew Jackie well and he was an absolute gem of a man. He wasn't a big man either so it's even better to hear that story.

That match stands out as one of my favourite matches at ER. Shame there isn't the same passion in either the team or the support these days.

Kato
14-10-2013, 04:01 PM
The ref lost control, had no idea who done what, just sent Souness off and booked everybody else. I'm actually surprised he didn't book Rough again just for being on the pitch. What a waste of money, what a waste of money. Huns getting smacked all over the place after the game. That was the start of Rangers financial problems.

The majority of the bookings were retrospective, applied a few weeks later. I think Mickey Weir appealed and his was recinded.

Ricky Bobby
14-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Speaking to Joe T today, he remembers that even on the park you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.
He was telling me that at half time in the dressing room Gordon Rae asked Roughie why he had'nt got stuck in during trouble when Souness got sent off, To every ones amazement Roughie stood up and said ' i thought you were all being really immature getting involved'. Which was met by a volley of abuse.
Joe said he really enjoyed the game and although he looked like Maldini at left back, he played like Maldinis' wife.

Top man.

Keith_M
14-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Anybody noticed that "Beastie" is actually viewing this thread?

Hello Mr McCluskey, how's tricks? :thumbsup:

Too late, he's gone :wink:

Pat 0-7
14-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I remember getting off the bus on London Road and walking right into the hun hordes at the top of Easter Road, I got some 'jovial' stick for the Hibs scarf I was wearing, they were all in a great mood cause they were heading for an easy victory with their new messiah........:faf:

One of the best days at ER for me.

Anyone else try to spot themselves in the East on that video??? :greengrin

Scorrie
14-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Was in the old east terracing that day. One of my favourite ever games. Butcher's first league game for the Huns I think and I could see him what he had come to! Brilliant day and great Hibs performance and crowd.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-10-2013, 08:27 PM
That was the east terracing at its best, absolutely bouncing, what a day!

Suburban Hibby
14-10-2013, 08:34 PM

Sergey- with you in every word- was a mad mad day. For an away atmos Millwall was weird, special, strange all of the above.

Suburban Hibby
14-10-2013, 08:43 PM
I remember getting off the bus on London Road and walking right into the hun hordes at the top of Easter Road, I got some 'jovial' stick for the Hibs scarf I was wearing, they were all in a great mood cause they were heading for an easy victory with their new messiah........:faf:

One of the best days at ER for me.

Anyone else try to spot themselves in the East on that video??? :greengrin

green and yellow OP sweatshirt getting its first outing, bought just for the day clearly visible from the top coming down down down the east.

Can't believe it was so long ago.

Davy Mac
14-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry not read all the thread but I remember chanting 'what a waste of money' referring to McCoist, but where did they get him from, wasn't St Johnstone was it or was it an English club and what did they pay for him?

Also, did Souness not admit he used to get 'a lift over' as a kid and his Dad was a Hibee?

Hot sunny day, precious memories............

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Sergey- with you in every word- was a mad mad day. For an away atmos Millwall was weird, special, strange all of the above.

Wasnae too special when they were trying to break down the gates on the terracing to get into the away end. Was certainly an "interesting" first trip to London for me though!

Jonnyboy
14-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Sorry not read all the thread but I remember chanting 'what a waste of money' referring to McCoist, but where did they get him from, wasn't St Johnstone was it or was it an English club and what did they pay for him?

Also, did Souness not admit he used to get 'a lift over' as a kid and his Dad was a Hibee?

Played for St Johnstone and was sold to Sunderland. Flopped there and was sold on to the club once known as Rangers who are no more :agree:

stantonhibby
14-10-2013, 09:21 PM

Think McCoist went from St J to Sunderland.

Suburban Hibby
14-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Wasnae too special when they were trying to break down the gates on the terracing to get into the away end. Was certainly an "interesting" first trip to London for me though!

You never saw what happened to the invincible Millwall per match - 25 years ago , how time flies

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-10-2013, 09:34 PM
I saw what happened to plenty of Hibbies in the lane behind the terracing just before ko, that was enough for me.

Suburban Hibby
14-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I saw what happened to plenty of Hibbies in the lane behind the terracing just before ko, that was enough for me.

The Old Den, definitely the most intimidating place I have ever been- old Ibrox Colin Harris winner, Kano winner at darkheid, Villa, Oldham was a laugh, Anderlecht blah blah blah.

Biggest Police escort ever seen after Millwall, thought we had royalty in our midst.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Aye, they were sunday school outings in comparison. Oldham might have been the first time I got served bevvy in a pub!

Mind you, the North Africans in Brussels were a bit naughty right enough on both UEFA Cup trips.

Miguel
15-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Don't think the atmosphere at that game will ever be matched. The combination of a hot day, crazed fans, infield riot, hibs win against the Evil Empire on their first big day out and the Emperor seeing red to boot...magic!

Davy Mac
15-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Aye, they were sunday school outings in comparison. Oldham might have been the first time I got served bevvy in a pub!

Mind you, the North Africans in Brussels were a bit naughty right enough on both UEFA Cup trips.

Aye right enough, was that the machete wielding nutters who caused havoc at the station?

Liege was a bit tasty too....

Leithenhibby
15-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Don't think the atmosphere at that game will ever be matched. The combination of a hot day, crazed fans, infield riot, hibs win against the Evil Empire on their first big day out and the Emperor seeing red to boot...magic!

I missed this game due to an old mate getting married. :(
Remember nipping into Shades for a pint before heading for the Bus that was leaving from the Persie. I had a blue suit on that day, I mean... b-l-u-e :(

Green & White Y's though :greengrin

Leithenhibby
15-10-2013, 05:36 PM
There was not a dirtier player in the game at that time... :agree:

Total W***** ............. :wink: (not the best photo)

bringbackbenny
15-10-2013, 05:48 PM
There was not a dirtier player in the game at that time... :agree:

Total W***** ............. :wink: (not the best photo)

There's a video of that tackle on YouTube. It was a premeditated, cowardly assault - he went in to break that players leg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Leithenhibby
15-10-2013, 05:54 PM
There's a video of that tackle on YouTube. It was a premeditated, cowardly assault - he went in to break that players leg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Your right, the quality ain't much better though. :wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-10-2013, 06:10 PM
I was up the old north stand that day, nearly went over after a rush doon the front!

Dirty fouling team of overpaid muppets they were, arrogance on yam level.

Paying a hefty price for it nowadays.

bringbackbenny
15-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Your right, the quality ain't much better though. :wink:

My memory not so great, not a broken leg rather stop the lad from ever fathering kids (:

Also suggests post assault that the other player injured him!

http://youtu.be/ygVgxYa3mlo

Speedway
15-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Magic thread. I've started a couple of these previously. Dunno if they are still on here but there's some great memories on them.

eastterrace
15-10-2013, 07:53 PM

we were singing what a waste o money at colin west and the other english brigade and not mccoist.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Aye right enough, was that the machete wielding nutters who caused havoc at the station?

Liege was a bit tasty too....

Liege was indeed tasty, based in Brussels with Sphere Travel, a good trip was had by all!

Pedantic_Hibee
16-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Is this game available on DVD? My old man wants a copy of it.

mim
16-10-2013, 05:40 PM
My memory not so great, not a broken leg rather stop the lad from ever fathering kids (:

http://youtu.be/ygVgxYa3mlo Was at Hamden for a Scotland v. Wales game and Souness committed a horrible assault. I turned to the guy next to me and said 'what a thug, eh?'. Turns out it was his old man.

Jonnyboy
16-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Was at Hamden for a Scotland v. Wales game and Souness committed a horrible assault. I turned to the guy next to me and said 'what a thug, eh?'. Turns out it was his old man.

Did he agree? :greengrin

Pretty Boy
16-10-2013, 07:48 PM

http://youtu.be/ygVgxYa3mlo

I love the way he points at his sock! What the **** is he trying to claim happened? Even the selective blindness of Scottish referees had to see that.

Was he sent off for that tackle?

cabbageandribs1875
16-10-2013, 08:00 PM
I love the way he points at his sock! What the **** is he trying to claim happened? Even the selective blindness of Scottish referees had to see that.

Was he sent off for that tackle?

apparently (back in the really auld days) all players for 'THE rangers' had to play with one sock up and the other one down, some mad ritual or sommit.....the sock was to blame

Hibiza
17-10-2013, 10:30 AM
great day. :flag:

Speedway
08-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Interesting that 27 years on, many of us are bedwetting that one of Souness' thugs that day might NOT become our new manager.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Dinnae see the connection myself. Never gave it a second thought.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Interesting that 27 years on, many of us are bedwetting that one of Souness' thugs that day might NOT become our new manager.

I'm hoping in the future there might be a slight chance Butcher may bring Souness in to help, this could be the dream team many of us have been dreaming of?

Speedway
08-11-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm hoping in the future there might be a slight chance Butcher may bring Souness in to help, this could be the dream team many of us have been dreaming of?

:agree:

hibsbollah
08-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I heard from someone at the club that after that game Butcher could be heard screaming and swearing from the away dressing room, punctuated by dull thuds. After they left some ER staff went in and the door had a huge hole in it. Butcher had apparently been nutting it :greengrin
Could Rod give him a post dated bill for the damage when he appoints him as manager? :hmmm:

Spike Mandela
08-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Sure Souness gave an interview a couple of years ago saying he was very embarrassed about his actions that day especially the way he let his Dad down.

Thing about Souness was that he was a dirty, arrogant dick but never pretended to be anything else. Great player but a right dirty ****. I'm not condoning that but someone like McCoist annoys me far more with his 'cheeky chappie' act yet he was and is a sneaky, snivelling little rat. His actions back then, with the Neil Lennon incident a few years back and practically every day now with his bleating to the press show him up for what he is. Thankfully more and more people seem to be seeing him for what he is now.

Yeah watching that was brilliant, great memories.

What you say about McCoist is spot on. Cowardly, sneaky and would use any tactic to get what he wants. The trying to 'out' the tribunal panel when Rangers already knew the names of the individuals was a clear move to get the media to provoke the Rangers 'brown shirts' in to action. The fact he is a hero of the Sevconian masses says it all. Thoroughly unpleasant individual.

southsider
08-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Na him, his faither and brother (gordon) were all hertz fans.

Speedway
08-11-2013, 01:05 PM
I heard from someone at the club that after that game Butcher could be heard screaming and swearing from the away dressing room, punctuated by dull thuds. After they left some ER staff went in and the door had a huge hole in it. Butcher had apparently been nutting it :greengrin
Could Rod give him a post dated bill for the damage when he appoints him as manager? :hmmm:

He still owes us for the one he bust when he was in charge of the Mothers.

sadtom
08-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Without a doubt one of my favourite games ever. Probably No1.
The build up to the game went on for weeks due to the Souness factor and all the big name, high profile players that were arriving. Butcher was the Englandshire captain and his last competitive game prior to that day was the 'Hand of god' game against Argentina. It was also the 1st game of the season and the 1st games since hawrts had lost the league and cup 3 months earlier.

Beadie had in fact scored the winner for the arabs against us on the last day of the season only to score for us on the 1st day of the season. (cant imagine too many folk have done that).

A crackin day, sunshine on Leith right enough. Electric atmosphere, trouble kicking off all over the shop, wi huns getting tw@tted right left and centre, before and after the game.
There just seemed to be the constant sound of sirens in the air all day.
On a personal level it was some weekend.

Butcher wasn't the only English blond to arrive in Embra that weekend. Met a gorgeous lass who was out my league and up for the festival the night before and rather foolishly arranged to meet her at 9pm on the night after the game.
I was reeking by teatime, re-enacting the goals on the pool table in the pub. Before nipping home to get a *****, shower and shave and somehow managed to sober up by the time i met her.
Got myself all smitten so i did (my 1st love and 1st woman i ever lived with), and she ended up moving up to Embra to be with me until she 'sobered up' and gave me the red card a year and a bit later.

If Carlsberg made weekends...they'd still be ***** compared to my one!!! :agree:

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2013, 05:54 PM

I didn't know that, would this maybe put him off joining Terry?

pacorosssco
08-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Yeah watching that was brilliant, great memories.

What you say about McCoist is spot on. Cowardly, sneaky and would use any tactic to get what he wants. The trying to 'out' the tribunal panel when Rangers already knew the names of the individuals was a clear move to get the media to provoke the Rangers 'brown shirts' in to action. The fact he is a hero of the Sevconian masses says it all. Thoroughly unpleasant individual.

Agree Mcoist must die. Repulsive man but the irony of him being a Rangers man while taking a EPL managers wage sums him up even more.

Make Sally History

stoneyburn hibs
08-11-2013, 06:30 PM
A lot have pre-conceptions about Souness after that game and during his Rangers tenure, i did myself.
Met him at Edinburgh airport about a month ago and he was a gentleman, decent chat and happy to pose with the Rangers fans in my group for a photo.

Dashing Bob S
08-11-2013, 06:41 PM
A lot have pre-conceptions about Souness after that game and during his Rangers tenure, i did myself.
Met him at Edinburgh airport about a month ago and he was a gentleman, decent chat and happy to pose with the Rangers fans in my group for a photo.

Agreed. Have been in his company a couple of times and he seemed a very decent sort. Neil Lennon is the same.

I suspect that very few players/coaches who come over as arrogant/aggressive/crazy are like that outside of football. Just as we all know supporters who regularly act in an over the top manner at the game, but are damn fine chaps in real life.

pacorosssco
08-11-2013, 06:56 PM

He wouldnt pose with the rest :dunno::dunno:?

H13BYM
09-11-2013, 12:22 AM
THE most incredible atmosphere ever at a game anywhere! Coupled with the fact it was my first ever pre match "session" at the ripe old age of 13 (I was a big lad) with my big sisters fella and his mate in the dalmeny then tommy youngers. The anti Englishness that aft was unbelievable. One of my greatest moments at ER.

Miguel
09-11-2013, 12:51 AM
Outside of cups, one of the top games ever.

theonlywayisup
09-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Agree Mcoist must die. Repulsive man but the irony of him being a Rangers man while taking a EPL managers wage sums him up even more.

Make Sally History

Delete that! Don't be so stupid!

Re the game, Rangers class if ever there is such.

McCoist dive for the penalty
Souness' tackles
"Oh west must be off for his assault on Fulton........oh no, its only a yellow"
Skillfull Duarant's assualt just prior to the second Hibs goal.
El Tel's elbow in the face.

Stewboy
09-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Remember that game - was a 7 year old laddie with my dad in the west stand. When we scored our 1st the guy on the other side jumped up with the rest of us and cracked my jaw with his elbow by mistake.

Even at that age that probably my favourite game of all time.

Build up was huge. Can ever remember where we were when my old man told me who we were playing in the 1st game

Jones28
09-11-2013, 09:18 AM
One of the games I would go back in time to watch. I get the shivers just watching the YouTube clip

Bostonhibby
09-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Here's a press picture of events just before the ref sent him off, no dea how to make the picture bigger, sorry - Souness is hiding just to the side - Chris Woods keeping a few Hibs players away by the look of it, Some good hair styles on show :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
09-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Here's a press picture of events just before the ref sent him off, no dea how to make the picture bigger, sorry - Souness is hiding just to the side - Chris Woods keeping a few Hibs players away by the look of it, Some good hair styles on show :greengrin

perms should have been banned

bringbackbenny
09-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Stuart Beedies mullet was especially impressive!

Danderhall Hibs
09-11-2013, 11:14 AM

I saw an interview with him a few years ago and he was talking about being a rangers fan - mentioned getting the train through from Waverley/haymarket to midweek European matches?

Danderhall Hibs
09-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Make Sally History

Deary me.

trev the hat
09-11-2013, 12:46 PM

Make Sally History

No excuses for that post, out of order IMO