PDA

View Full Version : Have you been chased for Student ID?

Scouse Hibee
12-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Just out of interest have the club chased up people who bought student ST's for valid ID that had to be produced by 1st October?

Maybe some people on here in that situation could clarify if they have. I believed the club were going to be more strict this year and hope they have followed it through.

yeezus.
12-10-2013, 11:14 AM
I've bought student match tickets online and never once had to produce my ID.

The only time I did was voluntarily against Stranraer a few weeks back.

frazeHFC
12-10-2013, 11:30 AM
They chased me up a few times so I scanned the card in and my dad sent the proof to them.

Keith_M
12-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Nobody's ever asked me for Student ID.

An OAP bus pass perhaps.....

hibby rae
12-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Never asked at the turnstile but I did show it when I renewed my season ticket.

clerriehibs
12-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Delighted if they check at the turnstiles,.best place to stop the pricing abuse.

Damned annoyed if I can 't pick up 4 student tickets along with a further 5 I've bought because I don't have tbe ids of people who wo.'t be in edinburgh until the night of the match.

Killiehibbie
12-10-2013, 01:40 PM
No but I got chased for using a child ticket on the tube.

Diclonius
12-10-2013, 01:51 PM
The one time I was asked for student ID was when I renewed my season ticket. I didn't have one at that point but they accepted my award letter no problem.

ZS DOOM
12-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Not been asked the past 3 years

Scouse Hibee
12-10-2013, 02:00 PM

Are you a student with valid ID?

JohnStephens91
12-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Delighted if they check at the turnstiles,.best place to stop the pricing abuse.

Damned annoyed if I can 't pick up 4 student tickets along with a further 5 I've bought because I don't have tbe ids of people who wo.'t be in edinburgh until the night of the match.

I agree, when I was buying a student ticket for my friend (he is a student before anybody asks :greengrin) I was asked to produce student I.D which was a major pain. What happened was I paid for the ticket then he had to pick it up with me the day before the match. Surely a check on the gate would root the problem out rather than a 'have you got your student I.D with you?' at the ticket office, only for someone to pass the already paid for ticket to a non-student.

danhibees1875
12-10-2013, 03:12 PM
On a similar note, does anyone know for sure that Hibs accept an NUS card as a student card?

I tried emailing through the official site but haven't heard anything...

Cheers :aok:

ZS DOOM
12-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Are you a student with valid ID?

yes

LioNeilMessi
12-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Really? I get asked for student ID every time I buy additional student tickets through my season ticket account :agree:

ZS DOOM
12-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Really? I get asked for student ID every time I buy additional student tickets through my season ticket account :agree:

yeah, and i have renewed in person at the clubstore every time they go on sale. maybe just my luck. I have bought tickets online and picked up from clubstore and not been asked

JIm
13-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Its an interesting topic, it appears the club are doing a more spot check basis as opposed to chase up everyone which is a good way of working IMO. Saves them wasting hours of their time when it could be applied elsewhere.

On the topic though I get the feeling Scouse feels this is getting abused too much. What are your views on this?

Danderhall Hibs
13-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Its an interesting topic, it appears the club are doing a more spot check basis as opposed to chase up everyone which is a good way of working IMO. Saves them wasting hours of their time when it could be applied elsewhere.

On the topic though I get the feeling Scouse feels this is getting abused too much. What are your views on this?

There's loads of folk ripping the club off by using student tickets or oap tickets or even kids tickets. The club are losing money because of it.

IMO.

jane_says
13-10-2013, 02:57 PM
I've had a season ticket for the last 2 years because of the pricing for students and not once have I been asked for student id. I am a student btw, but I'd imagine there are plenty who aren't.

JHFC
13-10-2013, 03:58 PM
what I do sometimes when ordering additional student tickets is just put them down as concession so you do not need to chase up all your friends for their cards and if checked on game day they will have their student cards as the tickets are the same for student and concession.

FRes Hibbie
13-10-2013, 04:48 PM
yes

Can I see your ID please?

Judas Iscariot
13-10-2013, 04:55 PM
There's loads of folk ripping the club off by using student tickets or oap tickets or even kids tickets. The club are losing money because of it.

IMO.

What do you think to the argument that the club's better off with someone paying for a false student season tickets/match day tickets rather than getting heehaw?!

ZS DOOM
13-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Can I see your ID please?

No

Danderhall Hibs
13-10-2013, 08:07 PM
What do you think to the argument that the club's better off with someone paying for a false student season tickets/match day tickets rather than getting heehaw?!

I think it's a ***** argument.

Judas Iscariot
13-10-2013, 08:20 PM
I think it's a ***** argument.

Based on?

Danderhall Hibs
13-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Based on?

When we all start paying student prices them the club will be skint. The longer they allow this to go on the sooner more of us will take a stand.

We complain about ticket prices but part of the reason they're so high is because of those cheating the club.

nonshinyfinish
13-10-2013, 10:03 PM
When I had a student ST I used to get asked for my matric card to pick up the season book, but I was never asked for ID at the turnstile (this was 2003-08).

I agree with folk above that there will be loads of people abusing this - getting a mate who's a student to buy the ST, knowing they'll never be checked later. I understand that some folk just can't afford a full price ST, but I'll bet there are far more that could pay, but would rather make a saving even if it means shafting 'their' club.

clerriehibs
14-10-2013, 07:39 AM
When we all start paying student prices them the club will be skint. The longer they allow this to go on the sooner more of us will take a stand.

We complain about ticket prices but part of the reason they're so high is because of those cheating the club.

How long did you try getting away with paying a boy"s price when you were a kid? How old were you when you finally stopped getting a lift over the turnstile? We've all been there, but I doubt it's a huge problem.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-10-2013, 07:49 AM

IMO.

When the clubs updates to their systems come onstream many of these issues will be a thing of the past. Management are actively on this as a by-product to a more efficient means of getting into the ground.

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2013, 08:43 AM
How long did you try getting away with paying a boy"s price when you were a kid? How old were you when you finally stopped getting a lift over the turnstile? We've all been there, but I doubt it's a huge problem.

There are "full blown" adults still paying for kids tickets that's a wee bit more than trying to get in as an under 16 when you're 16.

We need to implement a proper system to stop it or just ask the stewards on the gate to check.

wearethehibs
14-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Im of the opinion if people genuinly cant afford to pay full price to watch the team they love but they can afford to pay a concession price. Then Id rather they were putting something into the club other than nothing.

I do it at away games when its patg, as the stewerds dont seem to care.

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Im of the opinion if people genuinly cant afford to pay full price to watch the team they love but they can afford to pay a concession price. Then Id rather they were putting something into the club other than nothing.

How do you know if they're genuine?

It's more likely they're keeping some money back so they can have a pint before and after the match and a pie at HT.

marinello59
14-10-2013, 09:56 AM

I can't afford to pay full price for fillet steak at Tesco's so I just leave a couple of quid on the shelf and stick it up my jumper. It's better that they get something rather than nothing.

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2013, 10:02 AM
I can't afford to pay full price for fillet steak at Tesco's so I just leave a couple of quid on the shelf and stick it up my jumper. It's better that they get something rather than nothing.

:hilarious Exactly.

Judas Iscariot
14-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Wait till its in the reduced aisle :agree:

ZS DOOM
14-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Im sure sure there's been thread before bout it but I'll bring it up again.

Is it ok to sign up for a cheap course and get a valid student card and it works out out about £200 quid cheaper? Because to me thats the same thing. The club dont get any more money than if you didnt have id

marinello59
14-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Im sure sure there's been thread before bout it but I'll bring it up again.

Is it ok to sign up for a cheap course and get a valid student card and it works out out about £200 quid cheaper? Because to me thats the same thing. The club dont get any more money than if you didnt have id

Valid student card or not, the concession is only supposed to apply to full time students.

ZS DOOM
14-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Valid student card or not, the concession is only supposed to apply to full time students.

So as long as it's not day release then its fine?

superfurryhibby
14-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Some folks are getting their knickers in a twist on this one.

I think the principle has been clearly established that students need to show a valid matric card at some point in the season ticket purchasing process. If said student occasionally passes their ticket on for the odd match that they don't go to, so what? I would imagine that student season tickets constitute a tiny % of our overall season ticket sales, so no big deal here.

Bishop Hibee
14-10-2013, 12:24 PM
My kids have used my mates and brothers season tickets when they can't make it over the years. Surely this and no doubt other would be concessions use of adult ST's goes some way to redressing this 'problem'?

derekHFC
14-10-2013, 12:32 PM
My kids have used my mates and brothers season tickets when they can't make it over the years. Surely this and no doubt other would be concessions use of adult ST's goes some way to redressing this 'problem'?

Careful, some might suggest you're ripping off the club by taking away potential paying customers who are using someone else's season ticket.

All depends where your morale compass sits I suppose :tee hee:

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2013, 12:36 PM

How?

Scott Allan Key
14-10-2013, 12:36 PM

I think the principle has been clearly established that students need to show a valid matric card at some point in the season ticket purchasing process. If said student occasionally passes their ticket on for the odd match that they don't go to, so what? I would imagine that student season tickets constitute a tiny % of our overall season ticket sales, so no big deal here.

I'd be quite happy to pay full price if I could afford it. Even with a season ticket I couldn't go to all games, so pay at the gate would probably not cost over the season. I do have student season and am glad club is asking for validation. They wouldn't accept my award letter (some inconsistency here?) so I emailed them stamped enrolment letter and scanned student card. I'm on a full time course and anticipate getting a good job after this for anyone concerned I won't pay full price in future.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Good stewardship would suggest we at least secure the revenues we should expect from these games.
The club has clamped down on fraud at the turnstile where some turnstile attendants were skimming money from PATG.

It could be argued that going (falsely) as a concession is, whilst on a smaller-scale, the same in terms of the club losing out on the correctly entitled revenue and I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong but quite possibly fraud.

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I'd be quite happy to pay full price if I could afford it. Even with a season ticket I couldn't go to all games, so pay at the gate would probably not cost over the season. I do have student season and am glad club is asking for validation. They wouldn't accept my award letter (some inconsistency here?) so I emailed them stamped enrolment letter and scanned student card. I'm on a full time course and anticipate getting a good job after this for anyone concerned I won't pay full price in future.

Are you saying you won't pay full price when you're no longer a student?

Viva_Palmeiras
14-10-2013, 12:44 PM
£380 versus £170 for Adult versus student ST.

Economically it looks like an opportunity for fraudsters or non-Hibby students to make a deal... Although would it be worth the risk?

Scott Allan Key
14-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Are you saying you won't pay full price when you're no longer a student?

When I say full price I mean a ticket for whole season. I would PATG FULL PRICE most likely unless I graduate with a good job, then I'd happily pay full price for season ticket. Read the detail in my post, I am on a FULL TIME COURSE. I am a student. Sorry if it's not clearer. If there wasn't a concession I would still try to get to as many Hibs games as possible, home and away, finances permitting. I have a family too. I'm not rich enough or daft enough NOT to take a concession when it applies to me. I want Hibs to have as much money as possible and I've never short changed them by dishonestly taking a ticket. Rod Petrie once gave me a ticket when I was going through bad times but I reimbursed Hibs later and he put money towards Hibs Community Trust, but that's another story!

18Craig75
14-10-2013, 01:24 PM
I wasn't asked when I renewed my season ticket and haven't been chased up yet.

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2013, 01:35 PM
When I say full price I mean a ticket for whole season. I would PATG FULL PRICE most likely unless I graduate with a good job, then I'd happily pay full price for season ticket. Read the detail in my post, I am on a FULL TIME COURSE. I am a student. Sorry if it's not clearer. If there wasn't a concession I would still try to get to as many Hibs games as possible, home and away, finances permitting. I have a family too. I'm not rich enough or daft enough NOT to take a concession when it applies to me. I want Hibs to have as much money as possible and I've never short changed them by dishonestly taking a ticket. Rod Petrie once gave me a ticket when I was going through bad times but I reimbursed Hibs later and he put money towards Hibs Community Trust, but that's another story!

I've no complaint against actual students getting concession rates.

Bishop Hibee
14-10-2013, 02:23 PM
How?

The kids attended on a ticket paid for at a higher price per game than if they paid at the gate. If ST's were non-tranferable then many fans wouldn't buy them. They are however happy for them to be used by 'concessions' even though the ST holder actually loses money compared to if they 'walked up' to the games they could actually attend.

As for the original topic, pretty bad if fans are ripping off their own club but tempting for some given how overpriced Hibs games are.

S4uzee
14-10-2013, 02:42 PM
I wasn't asked when I renewed my season ticket and haven't been chased up yet.
Did you not get sent a letter with your ST saying the card would be deactivated in October with first match being Celtic game if student ID was not provided?

IanM
14-10-2013, 03:00 PM

:agree:

If people can't pay the full adult season ticket but will still go to home games when they can afford them, simply opt into the payment plan they have instead - £36 a month.. very affordable

Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts at home this month for £36.. £12 a game.. albeit, cup top up but perks of the early bird..

EH54
14-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Not sure what Hibs take on all this is, I have am a full time student but was asked questions at TO last week, Asking me if i worked when i said yes they told me i would need to pay full price for the ST, after telling them im a full time student and have valid ID the women said that because i worked it didn't count after showing them my Valid student card that says full time student she told me i wasn't because i worked. they accepted me last year and the beginning of this year ( had to wait for new ID coming through ) she told me she would accept it this year but next year they wouldn't be so kind.

Not sure if anyone else had this problem but are students not allowed to work? It might not be fair but been a ST for past 10 years now and only been a student for 2 of them and im not paying full price when they have a option for student regardless if i work or not.

I would pay full price if i needed to or if there wasn't a student option but since there is.

ZS DOOM
14-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Not sure what Hibs take on all this is, I have am a full time student but was asked questions at TO last week, Asking me if i worked when i said yes they told me i would need to pay full price for the ST, after telling them im a full time student and have valid ID the women said that because i worked it didn't count after showing them my Valid student card that says full time student she told me i wasn't because i worked. they accepted me last year and the beginning of this year ( had to wait for new ID coming through ) she told me she would accept it this year but next year they wouldn't be so kind.

Not sure if anyone else had this problem but are students not allowed to work? It might not be fair but been a ST for past 10 years now and only been a student for 2 of them and im not paying full price when they have a option for student regardless if i work or not.

I would pay full price if i needed to or if there wasn't a student option but since there is.

So hibs expect students not to work and rack up even more debt? Makes sense

frazeHFC
14-10-2013, 04:09 PM

That's ridiculous! The point in having a part time job at Uni for me would be so I can afford to go to the games (ie give them money to go). I don't have one and therefore can't afford all the games, tbf additional £20 each time for home games on travel.

If you are a student of any kind then a 'student ticket' should be available.

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2013, 04:20 PM
The kids attended on a ticket paid for at a higher price per game than if they paid at the gate. If ST's were non-tranferable then many fans wouldn't buy them. They are however happy for them to be used by 'concessions' even though the ST holder actually loses money compared to if they 'walked up' to the games they could actually attend.

As for the original topic, pretty bad if fans are ripping off their own club but tempting for some given how overpriced Hibs games are.

The ticket's already been paid for so what Hibs are losing out on in your example is however many x concession price at the gate. If the kids didn't go the club would be in no different a position?

As for your 2nd point the ticket prices are too high but that could be due to the numbers of folk ripping the club off.

mim
14-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Nobody's ever asked me for Student ID.

An OAP bus pass perhaps.....

Interesting to note that a bus pass doesn't mean you are entitled to a concession. You get a bus pass at 60, concession age is 65.

Tyler Durden
14-10-2013, 05:35 PM

I think it's a bigger problem. There will be many instances of genuine students being used to buy tickets for adults. It can be policed easily by turnstile operators validating student ID when scanning the season ticket. A zero tolerance policy would quickly end the abuse of the student season card.

Who cares if people can't pass on their book when they miss the odd game?

It's these small things IMO that Hibs commercial operation really need to improve on. If I can manage to attend a future LWT meeting and its appropriate to the agenda this issue is definitely one I would raise.

ZS DOOM
14-10-2013, 05:55 PM
I honestly cant see there being that many people who abuse the system tbh

Danderhall Hibs
14-10-2013, 06:02 PM

I can. I know of folk who are doing it.

Gus Fring
14-10-2013, 06:02 PM
It's only a small number of people so might not reflect the entire support but between 2002-2006 I went to every home game with a group of 8 guys who went to Napier uni. 6 of them stopped going when we were no longer eligible for student prices. For them, it was just something to do with the lads on a Saturday but it became too expensive, so they stopped going. They've been back occasionally since but nothing major.

I know a lot of people including these guys I'd consider to be 'cash-strapped' and football is just too expensive for them. For 2 people to go watch 90 minutes of potentially mediocre football, it's close to £60 all in. Compare that to the cinema or a round of golf or something and the choice is clear.

Sadly not everyone can be an uber fan and love the club as much as some of us do but that's just the way it is. Hibs do very little to entice the casual fan. Unfortunately it looks like football is pricing the working class out.

Keith_M
14-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Not sure what Hibs take on all this is, I ..am a full time student but was asked questions at TO last week, Asking me if i worked when i said yes they told me i would need to pay full price for the ST.....

Just to confirm, the fact that you have a job is irrelevant. She is completely wrong.

If you have this problem again, ask for the name of the person and then send an E-Mail to Judith Quinn at Hibs. She'll be very interested to know if some of the ticket office staff are confused about the rules and giving false information.

ZS DOOM
14-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Report them all to the club and get their tickets cancelled then

Scott Allan Key
14-10-2013, 06:35 PM

We're in agreement. People should pay what they are only entitled to.

I believe part of reason for high ticket prices is anti-competitive nature of football market, not just in UK but Europe. Certain countries, England, Germany, Spain, Italy have players with vastly inflated salaries because of lucrative TV deals. Our football bureaucrats have been so busy milking the teats of the Gruesome Glesgae Twosome who are desperate to operate in that exclusive market that they have completely undersold, undervalued and ignored Scottish football as a product for a number of years. To the point that there is nothing said by Englishmen Neil Doncaster or Stewart Regan to BBC AFAIK about how Lineker or Hansen get more BBC Licence money than SPL does altogether for TV rights.

Yet, Scotland is effectively operating in the same market as EPL or Championship teams for relative cities in creating competitive football teams. Certainly Glasgow and Edinburgh but even Aberdeen and Dundee are comparable to cities operating in English Premiership. The players that teams can afford are coming from League 1 and 2. It would be inconceivable now for even Celtic or Rangers to sign a quality English Premiership player. The wages to compete with market, especially from traditional scouting systems in English-speaking countries- Ireland, Scotland, England mean that EPL clubs are hoovering up talent from Scotland before they get to top Scottish sides (and we're one of them).

To offer decent wages and fees, Hibs have had to have pretty high prices compared to what would be on offer for similar fare in a lower division in a TV deal rich nation. If a TV deal was properly negotiated (or TV deals were all lower and fairer) the players, resources would be better too or more evenly spread, IMHO. There are EPL teams in smaller cities with lower prices at the gate and for season tickets, but some of their players might be on millions.

Students and their ilk can be quite obnoxious as I have found so I can understand ire at them, nevermind misuse of concessions, there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to Scottish football's finances. Cheating and there not being a level playing field in football in Scotland/UK makes mockery of notion of competition.

And give cheaper tickets to unemployed and those on low wage to put the cherry on the top.

I'm_cabbaged
14-10-2013, 06:39 PM

Me too, the best of it is they're the first to moan about not spending enough on wages!!

Tyler Durden
14-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Maybe costs the club about £10k a year. Even if its half of that - it would cost nothing to fix. It's the principle, there's a general lack of standards and attention to detail IMO.

clerriehibs
14-10-2013, 07:34 PM
We're in agreement. People should pay what they are only entitled to.

I believe part of reason for high ticket prices is anti-competitive nature of football market, not just in UK but Europe. Certain countries, England, Germany, Spain, Italy have players with vastly inflated salaries because of lucrative TV deals. Our football bureaucrats have been so busy milking the teats of the Gruesome Glesgae Twosome who are desperate to operate in that exclusive market that they have completely undersold, undervalued and ignored Scottish football as a product for a number of years. To the point that there is nothing said by Englishmen Neil Doncaster or Stewart Regan to BBC AFAIK about how Lineker or Hansen get more BBC Licence money than SPL does altogether for TV rights.

Yet, Scotland is effectively operating in the same market as EPL or Championship teams for relative cities in creating competitive football teams. Certainly Glasgow and Edinburgh but even Aberdeen and Dundee are comparable to cities operating in English Premiership. The players that teams can afford are coming from League 1 and 2. It would be inconceivable now for even Celtic or Rangers to sign a quality English Premiership player. The wages to compete with market, especially from traditional scouting systems in English-speaking countries- Ireland, Scotland, England mean that EPL clubs are hoovering up talent from Scotland before they get to top Scottish sides (and we're one of them).

To offer decent wages and fees, Hibs have had to have pretty high prices compared to what would be on offer for similar fare in a lower division in a TV deal rich nation. If a TV deal was properly negotiated (or TV deals were all lower and fairer) the players, resources would be better too or more evenly spread, IMHO. There are EPL teams in smaller cities with lower prices at the gate and for season tickets, but some of their players might be on millions.

Students and their ilk can be quite obnoxious as I have found so I can understand ire at them, nevermind misuse of concessions, there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to Scottish football's finances. Cheating and there not being a level playing field in football in Scotland/UK makes mockery of notion of competition.

And give cheaper tickets to unemployed and those on low wage to put the cherry on the top.

Not half as obnoxious as those prone to sweeping generalisations. They really are a pain in the proverbial.

Scott Allan Key
15-10-2013, 02:03 AM
Not half as obnoxious as those prone to sweeping generalisations. They really are a pain in the proverbial.

Sorry, as I am among some (I never said all), immature and offensive youth at my university, I am a lot older, the lack of wisdom and courtesy amongst some of the laddish elements is annoying to many, not just myself, and I am a position to judge that. Age begets wisdom, alcohol fuelled parties and behaviour when one has family and kids, etc is obnoxious as is some of what I found shocking from college students; racist bullying of schoolchildren as well. I'm not saying it's typical of students but the lack of responsibility and callowness in some is no doubt responsible for bad behaviour that gets up people's noses.

As for your rudeness and wrong assertion about me, you don't know me well enough to make that statement. If you see fit to apologise, I'll accept, otherwise, more fool you.:rolleyes:

clerriehibs
15-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Sorry, as I am among some (I never said all), immature and offensive youth at my university, I am a lot older, the lack of wisdom and courtesy amongst some of the laddish elements is annoying to many, not just myself, and I am a position to judge that. Age begets wisdom, alcohol fuelled parties and behaviour when one has family and kids, etc is obnoxious as is some of what I found shocking from college students; racist bullying of schoolchildren as well. I'm not saying it's typical of students but the lack of responsibility and callowness in some is no doubt responsible for bad behaviour that gets up people's noses.

As for your rudeness and wrong assertion about me, you don't know me well enough to make that statement. If you see fit to apologise, I'll accept, otherwise, more fool you.:rolleyes:

I'll accept your apology. I must admit, I can be guilty of sweeping generalisations myself. These old folk who have beget wisdom can have serious problems driving on the correct side of a dual carriageway. And regular rants against young people could be considered ageist.

But what really bugs me? I always hold the door open if someone is following me through. Youngsters will ALWAYS acknowledge that. Old folk, you're lucky if you get a thank you even 50% of the time. Not sure what kind of wisdom age has begot them.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-10-2013, 10:18 AM
It's only a small number of people so might not reflect the entire support but between 2002-2006 I went to every home game with a group of 8 guys who went to Napier uni. 6 of them stopped going when we were no longer eligible for student prices. For them, it was just something to do with the lads on a Saturday but it became too expensive, so they stopped going. They've been back occasionally since but nothing major.

I know a lot of people including these guys I'd consider to be 'cash-strapped' and football is just too expensive for them. For 2 people to go watch 90 minutes of potentially mediocre football, it's close to £60 all in. Compare that to the cinema or a round of golf or something and the choice is clear.

Sadly not everyone can be an uber fan and love the club as much as some of us do but that's just the way it is. Hibs do very little to entice the casual fan. Unfortunately it looks like football is pricing the working class out.

Whilst it is a price comparison is it a fair comparison? There is only one choice if you want to go to see Hibs live (unless you blag/accept hospitality :). There are multiple cinemas out there all ultimately offering the more or less the same film and Golf courses are varied in price/quality/experience. As an experience football compared with these activities is/should be different in terms of interaction. Fixed costs for Cinemas and Golf Courses versus Hibs will be miniscule.

The fairest (not in terms of beauty!) comparison would be to compare the Hibs experience with Hearts.
And football on the continent whilst a closer comparison is not quite the same as I believe many grounds are shared and belong (and are therefore costs) to the municipality/council. Do TV companies not effectively subsidise football in the likes of Germany too?

That said these are other forms of entertainment and ultimately people pays there money they makes there choice. So whether they attend or not like your mates is based on that.

In terms of making football cheaper for the fans I'm not too sure how that could be achieved - Hibs are streamlining and continue to seek to become more efficient as best they can. The fixed costs are what they are and they will be higher than the likes of Partick - although with their new academy I wonder the extent that their maintenance costs will increase.

It seems like the massive correction required in wages is despite the recession not happening (at least not in Spain or England) is it happening in Scotland? Perhaps with the likes of Thomson, Boyd, McFadden and McManus... That and the increasing reliance on youth or from cheaper developing/debt-laden nations could see average wages fall. Then IF the reduced costs were reflected in ticket prices then maybe...

The only way to go after a price decrease is up though perhaps its better to let inflation erode things by keeping prices the same and as the cost of living increases it appears relatively "cheaper"?

Bishop Hibee
15-10-2013, 10:25 AM
The ticket's already been paid for so what Hibs are losing out on in your example is however many x concession price at the gate. If the kids didn't go the club would be in no different a position?

As for your 2nd point the ticket prices are too high but that could be due to the numbers of folk ripping the club off.

The point I was trying to make, not very well, is that people would think twice about buying a ST if it was not transferrable.

I personally doubt there are hundreds of people ripping the club off with concession tickets they are not entitled to.

Gus Fring
15-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Whilst it is a price comparison is it a fair comparison? There is only one choice if you want to go to see Hibs live (unless you blag/accept hospitality :).

The problem I was highlighting is that not everyone has a need to see Hibs live. They can take it or leave it and with only a small amount of disposable income it's becoming too expensive for the casual fan. When people are weighing up the options of what to do with your family/mates of a Saturday then unfortunately Hibs (and Scottish football more widely) are fast becoming a less "bang for your buck" proposition.

Judging by the attendances at cup finals compared to attendances at Easter Road, it appears to me at least half of the Hibs fan base doesn't bother turning up unless it's worth their while. People that work in minimum wage jobs can't afford to go all the time at full price and people like that used to be the bread and butter of Football. I grew up in Leith and in my 'community' and amongst most of the people I know, going to Easter Road in the 80's and 90's was the done thing. It was expected. Nowadays I'm struggling to find someone to go to the matches with me and I've not had an adult season ticket buddy next to me for years. I hear the same thing over and over "I'm not paying £22 to sit in the freezing cold and watch Hibs get beat off *Insert gash team du jour*."

Or maybe I just smell of BO and they're all secretly sitting in the West and avoiding me? Could be either.

fatbloke
15-10-2013, 06:20 PM

IMO.
Big style. There are quite a few who openly braf about this. I was even told about a serving Police Officer allegedly abusing the systems.

Up to club to sort systems out methinks.