PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths on Fenlon

Andy74
11-10-2013, 01:27 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/leigh-griffiths-delighted-things-are-looking-up-for-pat-fenlon-1-3137431

Leigh seems to have a bit of time for Pat.

He has interesting views on the Malmo game and the Partick result and performance that I'm sure most people will set about savaging him about. Obviously doesn't have a clue. :greengrin

Thecat23
11-10-2013, 01:52 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/leigh-griffiths-delighted-things-are-looking-up-for-pat-fenlon-1-3137431

Leigh seems to have a bit of time for Pat.

He has interesting views on the Malmo game and the Partick result and performance that I'm sure most people will set about savaging him about. Obviously doesn't have a clue. :greengrin

Yeah because he's going to slate him right enough. Kenny used to give interviews all the time and say the usual standard guff punters want to hear. It would be very unprofessional for a player to slate the club and with the rep Leigh has with us it will never happen. But hey ho, whatever you like to believe. :aok:

Brightside
11-10-2013, 02:11 PM
I reckon Andy has a special room at home with all the positive Fenlon press cuttings and about 2000 blurred long range pics.

marinello59
11-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Yeah because he's going to slate him right enough. Kenny used to give interviews all the time and say the usual standard guff punters want to hear. It would be very unprofessional for a player to slate the club and with the rep Leigh has with us it will never happen. But hey ho, whatever you like to believe. :aok:

So if anybody says anything positive about or manager they are now liars? Griffiths was handled well by PF when he was having his troubles off field so I would reckon he does see him as a decent manager. I don't think Pat Fenlon is the man to take us forward but some of the stuff being said on here is getting silly now.

Sergio sledge
11-10-2013, 02:18 PM

“I’ve said it before that Pat has been massive for developing my career. He helped me settle down and got me concentrating on football again. People say Pat’s a negative manager, but I never found that. The way he set his team up last season didn’t exactly do me or Eoin Doyle any harm.”

Hardly your "usual standard guff."

I suppose Leigh Griffiths is lying when he says this, because no-one could actually think anything positive about our manager, never mind someone who's played under him in the past....

Thecat23
11-10-2013, 02:30 PM
So if anybody says anything positive about or manager they are now liars? Griffiths was handled well by PF when he was having his troubles off field so I would reckon he does see him as a decent manager. I don't think Pat Fenlon is the man to take us forward but some of the stuff being said on here is getting silly now.

I'm on about the Partick game. For the record Fenlon as i've said before has done many good things for Hibs behind the scenes which he prob doesn't get much praise for.

Thecat23
11-10-2013, 02:31 PM
“I’ve said it before that Pat has been massive for developing my career. He helped me settle down and got me concentrating on football again. People say Pat’s a negative manager, but I never found that. The way he set his team up last season didn’t exactly do me or Eoin Doyle any harm.”

Hardly your "usual standard guff."

I suppose Leigh Griffiths is lying when he says this, because no-one could actually think anything positive about our manager, never mind someone who's played under him in the past....

Read above post...

Thecat23
11-10-2013, 02:32 PM
I reckon Andy has a special room at home with all the positive Fenlon press cuttings and about 2000 blurred long range pics.

:faf:

marinello59
11-10-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm on about the Partick game. For the record Fenlon as i've said before has done many good things for Hibs behind the scenes which he prob doesn't get much praise for.

Fair enough, it wasn't clear though. :greengrin

Gus Fring
11-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Leigh was a laddie with talent but with a major attitude problem, much like other players we have had in the past. We;ve all noticed it's a recurring theme when it comes to our players, particularly strikers. Riordan, Stokes, O'Connor, Griffiths. Pat managed to take Leigh under his wing and convinced him to knuckle down and not bugger it all up by being daft.

Griffiths went from being frustrated at the club and the fans to being a poster boy in the space of one season, scoring a boatload of goals and needing a bigger mantelpiece for all his awards.

If there's anybody whose qualified to speak about how our current manager managed to turn his career around it's Leigh Griffiths. Look what a difference that couple of seasons has made.

down-the-slope
11-10-2013, 02:43 PM
why are some so cynical - whether you love or loath Pat - why would what Griff says be considered untrue?...his career was going down the plug..Hibs (and obviously Pat) were instrumental in reviving it...whats not to like? We benefited from that in that it saved our season

SaulGoodman
11-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Some pathetic responses on this thread :wink:

EDIT: and why did the interviewer not ask if he's signing In January? :greengrin

carnoustiehibee
11-10-2013, 03:00 PM

a bit like this you mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l76u8Z5Ic2U&feature=player_detailpage

Joe Baker II
11-10-2013, 03:16 PM
The logic is somewhat unsound, article claims "people forget that Malmo were half-way through their season and Hibs had barely finished their pre-season." Typifies the uncritical tone of the Evening News toward Hibs and Hearts and sums up why I refuse to ever buy that paper.

A message for the Evening News is that we had NOT forgotten the difference in the seasons between the 2 teams but that has not stopped other Scottish clubs coming away with non-embarrassing results in previous years (and for that matter Hibs in the 1st leg, the reason why such a decent crowd turned up for the embarrassment).

Pathetic attempt by that paper to patronise Hibs fans by claiming that they lack memory, hope if Griffiths reads his comments he will regret way he has come across.

Fenlon stay or go debate been done many times but don't think this insulting article has done him any favours.

marinello59
11-10-2013, 03:47 PM
The logic is somewhat unsound, article claims "people forget that Malmo were half-way through their season and Hibs had barely finished their pre-season." Typifies the uncritical tone of the Evening News toward Hibs and Hearts and sums up why I refuse to ever buy that paper.

A message for the Evening News is that we had NOT forgotten the difference in the seasons between the 2 teams but that has not stopped other Scottish clubs coming away with non-embarrassing results in previous years (and for that matter Hibs in the 1st leg, the reason why such a decent crowd turned up for the embarrassment).

Pathetic attempt by that paper to patronise Hibs fans by claiming that they lack memory, hope if Griffiths reads his comments he will regret way he has come across.

Fenlon stay or go debate been done many times but don't think this insulting article has done him any favours.

:faf:
It's a player giving an opinion on a game of football.

Keith_M
11-10-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm sure he's mentioned before how grateful he is to Fenlon for the way he rescued his career. You can't argue with the evidence, especially the difference between Leigh in his 2nd season at ER compared to his 1st.

Fenlon surely deserves credit for the things he does right, as much as he deserves criticism for the things he does wrong (sorry Andy :wink:).

ancient hibee
11-10-2013, 05:38 PM

The quote above is NOT by the Evening News but is by Leigh Griffiths-so if anyone is being patronising (in your opinion)it's him which really(in my opinion)makes your post a load of complete tosh.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-10-2013, 05:39 PM
So much overall fail in this thread.

Pretty Boy
11-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Does anyone really think Fenlon is either 100% wrong or 100% right about things?

Like anyone else he will get things right and he will make mistakes. Leigh Griffiths is a great example of something Fenlon got right and he deserves any praise that comes his way in that respect.

I'm one of Pat's biggest critics on this board but i would never deny he has done plenty good things for Hibs and his players and Leigh is a true Hibs success story that we should all be proud off, and grateful to Pat for helping develop him.

Iggy Pope
11-10-2013, 06:53 PM

Kenny?

blackpoolhibs
11-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Griffiths blossomed under Fenlon, Fenlon also seemed to tame him a little regarding his temper.

3pm
11-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Kenny?

Miller.

dp00
11-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Someone has obviously had a go at Leighton on twitter and he has replied with same stuff as paper so we can't be doubting what the paper has said... Its clear that's how he feels

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Iggy Pope
11-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Miller.

Right, right. Might have figured that out if it had been relevant. Could've been Dalglish, Sheils or perish the thought, Black.

Kato
11-10-2013, 08:05 PM

You've got some good things to say mate and some utter guff just like all of us but that is just arrogance beyond belief. Really rather than arguing specific points or getting yourself all hot under the collar regarding anyone's opinion re Fenlon which just happens to differ from yours a stand cut-and-paste "Fenlon Out" post might be better in future.

SunshineOnLeith
11-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Fenlon's undoubtedly excellent at man management, squad morale has never been an issue since he's been here. It's tactically where his shortcomings lie.

Luckily for us last season, Sparky is good enough that you just have to put him on the pitch for him to deliver, no tactical input required.

Stringer
11-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Pat is a good scout. His football tactics are awful

The Falcon
11-10-2013, 10:42 PM

Nacho Novo gave Super Ally a bit of a doing.

Northernhibee
11-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Pat is a good scout. His football tactics are awful

P7 W4 D2 L1 as of late suggests otherwise.

The football recently, apart from St Mirren, has been dull as dishwater. That's where the issue lies.

IanM
12-10-2013, 05:15 AM
P7 W4 D2 L1 as of late suggests otherwise.

The football recently, apart from St Mirren, has been dull as dishwater. That's where the issue lies.

agree it has been pretty dire!! however, lets continue to win ugly until we learn to win well. there's been glimpses of how well we can play but that's been about 90 minutes all season.

good point earlier about PJ's man managment and the team morale,e even just from twitter you can see the lads having a good bit of banter, maybe its time the team stood up to the challenge as well though? how was many times have we heard they've 'not been good enough' for parts of the game? or that PF has had to give them a going over at HT..

Geo_1875
12-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Nacho Novo gave Super Ally a bit of a doing.

Only because Swally wouldn't sign him for the new Huns.

Thecat23
12-10-2013, 06:35 AM
You've got some good things to say mate and some utter guff just like all of us but that is just arrogance beyond belief. Really rather than arguing specific points or getting yourself all hot under the collar regarding anyone's opinion re Fenlon which just happens to differ from yours a stand cut-and-paste "Fenlon Out" post might be better in future.

Again I'm on about the Partick game. Listen Pat has installed some good things at ER and behind the scenes he's worked very hard. I don't slate him for that and in fact think this should be noticed more by the press.

People's opinion regarding the footy is fine. If you don't mind poor football but winning now and then that's fair enough. It's not right or wrong. I just like to watch good football. So not to confuse that I'm saying I'm right with just what I'd like to see. There are people on here that if you quote a paper with anything bad about Fenlon it's "same old press having a go." Yet all I'm saying is how come when it's the other way around we have to take it as that's how it's said. Leigh prob did say all that In that way then again maybe it's been made to look better?

Everyone on here has an opinion about Hibs and in their own eyes it's right. That's what makes it good reading. Course some folk will think its good other rubbish that's life mate.

GlenrothesHibee
12-10-2013, 07:04 AM

:fenlon

The Falcon
12-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Only because Swally wouldn't sign him for the new Huns.

Yip.

But it also means that players dont always sing the praises of managers which was the point. Rather than comment on Fenlon Griffiths could have said nothing but he spoke highly of the man. Which hasnt gone down well here.

James70
12-10-2013, 08:12 AM
If we could get a manager with Fenlon's man management and player spotting skills merged with John Collins' coaching and tactical skills then we would have one heck of a manager.

On the other hand a manager with JC's management skills and Fenlon's tactical skills would be unthinkable. :greengrin

Andy74
12-10-2013, 08:19 AM
If we could get a manager with Fenlon's man management and player spotting skills merged with John Collins' coaching and tactical skills then we would have one heck of a manager.

On the other hand a manager with JC's management skills and Fenlon's tactical skills would be unthinkable. :greengrin

I must have been watching a different JC team then as other than the team he took over it was brutal. Short passing with no purpose or speed to it and we ended lower in the league than now.

J-C
12-10-2013, 08:39 AM
I must have been watching a different JC team then as other than the team he took over it was brutal. Short passing with no purpose or speed to it and we ended lower in the league than now.

We'll just stick to the eye bleeding hoofball Fenlon is giving us then, someone like Collins needs 2-3 years to get his style of football going, anyone can play hoofball with any players right from the word go. I think you're forgetting the style we played last year wasn't much different to this, only exception is we had Griffiths who was able to do something with the hoofs that came his way.

Getting back to the thread, I do think Fenlon is a good man manager of players, in Leigh's case he got him to screw the nut and knuckle down, he's now a regular in the Scotland squad, as for his tactics etc meh!!

Tyler Durden
12-10-2013, 10:13 AM

You mean literally now after 9 games? Finished the season higher than in either of Fenlons campaigns.

It's a bit of a non story this is it not? Player is greatful to manager for getting his career on track and having faith in him etc. It doesn't address the fact that with this superb player in the side we managed 1 home win in 5 months.

Also Griffiths opinion on the Malmo game is nonsense. So Hibs had teenagers in our side - perish the thought. Fenlon picked the team - he is responsible for the worst result in Scottish history.

Beefster
12-10-2013, 10:16 AM

Andy, your revisionism is breathtaking sometimes. I wasn't the greatest fan of Collins but to even try to compare his spell with the pish we sit through now is ludicrous.

Kato
12-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Again I'm on about the Partick game. Listen Pat has installed some good things at ER and behind the scenes he's worked very hard. I don't slate him for that and in fact think this should be noticed more by the press.

People's opinion regarding the footy is fine. If you don't mind poor football but winning now and then that's fair enough. It's not right or wrong. I just like to watch good football. So not to confuse that I'm saying I'm right with just what I'd like to see. There are people on here that if you quote a paper with anything bad about Fenlon it's "same old press having a go." Yet all I'm saying is how come when it's the other way around we have to take it as that's how it's said. Leigh prob did say all that In that way then again maybe it's been made to look better?

Everyone on here has an opinion about Hibs and in their own eyes it's right. That's what makes it good reading. Course some folk will think its good other rubbish that's life mate.

Waffle. You insulted anyone who might believe Leigh is being truthful in his praise of Fenlon.

Andy74
12-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Andy, your revisionism is breathtaking sometimes. I wasn't the greatest fan of Collins but to even try to compare his spell with the pish we sit through now is ludicrous.

You're right. When Collins left I think we'd won 1 in 7. At the moment we've only lost 1 in 8. No comparison.

Keith_M
12-10-2013, 12:28 PM
You're right. When Collins left I think we'd won 1 in 7. At the moment we've only lost 1 in 8. No comparison.

Nice bit of selective revisionism Andy. You decide to pick and choose the facts to suit your argument, as usual.

I could reply with saying that Fenlon was in charge during a Cup Final where Hibs lost 5-1 but Collins was in charge in a Cup Final where Hibs won 5-1.

The most important fact is that the general standard of play was infinitely more watchable under Collins. Do you deny that?

sleeping giant
12-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Why is Everyone dumping on Andy74 ? Is there something wrong with trying to find positives about supporting Hibs ? Some fans on this thread sicken me . Whaes like us eh ?

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I think its Fenlon thats getting dumped on, then Andy74 by association.

Opinions are obviously a tad polarised on the issue, so, when you take what would appear to be the minority view you leave yourself open to attack, its just human nature, dinnae lose any sleep over it.

Keith_M
12-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Why is Everyone dumping on Andy74 ? Is there something wrong with trying to find positives about supporting Hibs ? Some fans on this thread sicken me . Whaes like us eh ?

I don't think it's anything personal. There are quite a number of people that have strong anti-Fenlon views and Andy puts himself out there to defend him, seemingly at every opportunity. With those circumstances, he's gonna take a bit of flack.

FWIW, I've stated on other threads that I can see the qualities that Fenlon does have, so I'm willing to see both sides, but I do admit it irks me when people use selective logic to support their argument one way or the other.

IMO, Andy seems like a good Hibby and is entitled to his viewpoint...even if he is wrong :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
12-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Andy's a terrific poster. Consistent and unrelenting in his own opinions. Admirable traits in the face of the ruthless abuse he takes on here.

sleeping giant
12-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Andy's a terrific poster. Consistent and unrelenting in his own opinions. Admirable traits in the face of the ruthless abuse he takes on here.
Couldn't agree more. Excellent post.

Mikey
12-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Indeed. I do wonder why he bothers.

Andy74
12-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Nice bit of selective revisionism Andy. You decide to pick and choose the facts to suit your argument, as usual.

I could reply with saying that Fenlon was in charge during a Cup Final where Hibs lost 5-1 but Collins was in charge in a Cup Final where Hibs won 5-1.

The most important fact is that the general standard of play was infinitely more watchable under Collins. Do you deny that?

Yep credit for the fantastic cup result and the run before it.

After that though it was dire. The Dunfermline semi finals were shocking. The derby just after the cup win was shocking.

Next season it was fairly grim. Slow build up getting nowhere. It was actually a relief for a while when Mixu started getting the ball further up the pitch.

Thecat23
12-10-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't think it's anything personal. There are quite a number of people that have strong anti-Fenlon views and Andy puts himself out there to defend him, seemingly at every opportunity. With those circumstances, he's gonna take a bit of flack.

FWIW, I've stated on other threads that I can see the qualities that Fenlon does have, so I'm willing to see both sides, but I do admit it irks me when people use selective logic to support their argument one way or the other.

IMO, Andy seems like a good Hibby and is entitled to his viewpoint...even if he is wrong :wink:

Andy has posted things that has made me read it twice in disbelief with some of the defending of Fenlon. Saying that if that's what he believes them good on him for at least posting. We don't see eye to eye on many things but I'm sure he knows I respect the guy as a fellow Hibs fan who is only wanting the best out of the club. I really hope and I doubt he would stop posting what he thinks. Some of his posts I actually agree with so Andy I hope you don't ever think I don't have respect for you as that's not true. We may argue on stuff but that's football and that's why it's good to have boards like this.

Thecat23
12-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Waffle. You insulted anyone who might believe Leigh is being truthful in his praise of Fenlon.

So I'm lying? Fenlon must have had a part in the way Leigh turned out course he has. If you don't like my posts please ignore them. Bye now!!

Keith_M
12-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Yep credit for the fantastic cup result and the run before it.

After that though it was dire. The Dunfermline semi finals were shocking. The derby just after the cup win was shocking.

Next season it was fairly grim. Slow build up getting nowhere. It was actually a relief for a while when Mixu started getting the ball further up the pitch.

You see, you did it again :greengrin

I'm not sure if you're deliberately missing the point. I was giving an example of selective statistics with the Cup Final, not saying that the Cup Final was the be all and end all. What I asked was whether you were willing to accept that much of the play of the team under Collins was a lot more attractive to watch.

You do know that the following season, Hibs started with 9 league wins in a row. I don't deny for a moment that we then went on a bad run, with no wins in the following ten (not all defeats, obviously) but the average home league attendance that season, until Collins left, was just under 15,000. These people were turning up in big numbers for a reason, that the style of football on display was, on the whole, attractive to watch.

Thecat23
12-10-2013, 02:32 PM

I'm not sure if you're deliberately missing the point. I was giving an example of selective statistics with the Cup Final, not saying that the Cup Final was the be all and end all. What I asked was whether you were willing to accept that much of the play of the team under Collins was a lot more attractive to watch.

You do know that the following season, Hibs started with 9 league wins in a row. I don't deny for a moment that we then went on a bad run, with no wins in the following ten (not all defeats, obviously) but the average home league attendance that season, until Collins left, was just under 15,000. These people were turning up in big numbers for a reason, that the style of football on display was, on the whole, attractive to watch.

It does prove that if we had a manager who played the ball on the deck and played well (now and then) the fans will watch. Getting nine or ten thousand is very poor considering are fan base, who's fault is that I ask?

Keith_M
12-10-2013, 02:34 PM
It does prove that if we had a manager who played the ball on the deck and played well (now and then) the fans will watch. Getting nine or ten thousand is very poor considering are fan base, who's fault is that I ask?

Well, it's not Pat Fenlon's fault, that's for sure.

It's Mixu, Yogi and CC's fault that the crowds don't turn up. An expert in these matters told me so it must be true :wink:

blackpoolhibs
12-10-2013, 02:36 PM

:agree:

I'd say those numbers were turning up then because we'd had the Mowbray years and he'd had the stand up and be counted time.

He'd also brought through some great young players and married them with the likes of Murphy Killen and Sheilds.

Collins had taken over and won us the cup, and also started the next season well. When results are going well and folk are being entertained, more people will come through the doors.

I'd like to ask Andy just why Crowds are not flocking back in their droves now, as we are on a run of one defeat in 8 apparently?

Thecat23
12-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Well, it's not Pat Fenlon's fault, that's for sure.

It's Mixu, Yogi and CC's fault that the crowds don't turn up. An expert in these matters told me so it must be true :wink:

I agree, it's all of them that has contributed to the loss of our fans. Fenlon put the icing on the cake with the two finals. Folk simply had enough.

Beefster
12-10-2013, 02:40 PM

Fair enough. You're not comparing apples with apples but evidently debating is becoming frowned upon by some on here these days so time to go back to surfing porn.

Keith_M
12-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Fair enough. You're not comparing apples with apples but evidently debating is becoming frowned upon by some on here these days so time to go back to surfing porn.

Yep, I've decided the same. Those women in the Milk Photos (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/weird-news/sexy-models-milk-dresses-pictures-2357849) haven't argued with me once :wink:

blackpoolhibs
12-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Yep, I've decided the same. Those women in the Milk Photos (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/weird-news/sexy-models-milk-dresses-pictures-2357849) haven't argued with me once :wink:

Some cracking juggs of milk there, good spot. :thumbsup:

Keith_M
12-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Some cracking juggs of milk there, good spot. :thumbsup:

Yep, I may be gone some time :greengrin

Elephant Stone
12-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Agreed.

Kato
12-10-2013, 03:19 PM
So I'm lying? Fenlon must have had a part in the way Leigh turned out course he has. If you don't like my posts please ignore them. Bye now!!

Not when you post insults like...

I'll reply to guff like that,which insults fans and Leigh Griffiths, every time.

Pretty Boy
12-10-2013, 03:54 PM

This.

I don't always agree with him. However there is no doubt he is a poster who conbtributes well to the site.

The Green Goblin
12-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Fenlon oot Andy in :greengrin

Keith_M
12-10-2013, 04:10 PM

You do know they're one and the same person don't you?

:wink:

Andy74
12-10-2013, 05:23 PM

Only if I get leeway in January for the triumphant returns of De Graaf, O'Brien and Wiss.

The Green Goblin
12-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Only if I get leeway in January for the triumphant returns of De Graaf, O'Brien and Wiss.

Add in Zibi to that list and the job's yours.

147lothian
13-10-2013, 11:17 AM
So players have to praise the manager? Someone should have told Nacho Novo and Wayne Roonie that.

I remember one game ar ER Leigh ran half the length of the pitch to celibrate his goal with Fenlon, another game I think it was the A'deen game in the semi, when Leigh tried to lift Fenlon up while celibrating with the fans after the final whistle, so I have no doubt, Leigh believes that Fenlon was good at man managing him and he wanted to reward Fenlon, is that not quite obvious?

Keith_M
13-10-2013, 11:54 AM

The job's yours, if you also bring back Maka.

:singing:

An-dy, seventy-four's,
green and white army

:singing:

147lothian
17-10-2013, 06:59 AM
No more injuries please, stay in the top six and cups until then, and hopefully we will kick on, thats the plan