PDA

View Full Version : Unseen Work

spike220
10-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Which players were most well known for their unseen work?

bingo70
10-10-2013, 08:01 AM
The obvious answer is Brian Kerr but I'm wondering if OTJ might fall into that category. He looks a big awkward player and not sure he'll ever be popular but without looking at the stats I think we're probably a harder team to score against with him in the team.

Example of that is the malmo matches, I thought he looked poor in the first leg but second leg he never played and they just strolled through the middle. We also improved on Monday when he came on althoughi couldn't tell you what he actually did to improve the team.

Unseen work
10-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Thought this was going to be a thread b**ching about me hahaha.

In answer to your question I'm actually inclined to say thomson, I don't think a large majority see what a class act he is wether it be passing/breaking up play etc

Viva_Palmeiras
10-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Steve Pinau's work with the exception of limited sub appearance was unseen

RyeSloan
10-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Brian Kerr couldn't hold a candle to Jarko Wiss I'm afraid.

horseflesh
10-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Brian Hamilton!

jdships
10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Matty Jack NEVER got the credit he deserved :rolleyes:

BT58
10-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Brian Hamilton!

i`m with you HF, Pat McGinlay got all the plaudits for scoring loads of goals,[rightly so] but BH did a lot of the unseen work, just a pity he went on to the yams
bt

snooky
10-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Which players were most well known for their unseen work?

Stevie Wonder?

Peevemor
10-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Charles Townsend

KingFranck
10-10-2013, 11:34 AM
John Rankin chased from ER and not appreciated by the fans :confused:

Winston Ingram
10-10-2013, 12:38 PM
John Rankin chased from ER and not appreciated by the fans :confused:

Rankin may have done a lot of great unseen work, but that wasn't the problem. It was his seen work that was the problem.

The countless duck-hooked, shanked, sliced, duffed attempted long range passes and corner-flag endangering 50 yard shots was his problem. :duck:

Speedway
10-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Jorge did a power of unseen work and was tremendous. Some fans still never rated him. Some fans are impaired.

KingFranck
10-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Rankin may have done a lot of great unseen work, but that wasn't the problem. It was his seen work that was the problem.

The countless duck-hooked, shanked, sliced, duffed attempted long range passes and corner-flag endangering 50 yard shots was his problem. :duck:
Just remember his tackling in midfield and runs into the box oh and making a tube of a certain Celtic goalie!

brydekirk
10-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Matty Jack NEVER got the credit he deserved :rolleyes:

This. Full Stop. End off, Fact.

brydekirk
10-10-2013, 07:31 PM
This might not sit well, but, Paul Hartley.
Jgp did know how to play him.

Mark79
10-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Edwin de graaf did a lot of unseen box to box work.

nonshinyfinish
10-10-2013, 08:40 PM
I don't know, I wasn't watching.

Nailrod
10-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Ma-Kalamby.

Played over sixty games for us and still has the best record, in terms of both goals conceded and shutouts, of any keeper we've had in the last fifteen years. Never ceases to bug me, the stick he took and still takes. Sure Maka made some very high profile howlers, but nobody would be stupid enough to describe a striker who scored more goals for us than anybody else in the last fifteen years as 'useless' because he missed some real sitters. You would judge him on his overall record. Maka's record suggests that alongside the howlers he must have been doing something right. I guess that would be 'unseen work'.

Hiber-nation
10-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Brian Kerr was just a lazy git, couldn't be bothered tracking back Anders Svensson in the Elfsborg game for their goal, given a bollocking by Jones/Hogg and responded by shrugging his shoulders - then immediately hooked by Mixu. Then he was unseen....until he signed for Dundee.

BVB Hibs
11-10-2013, 02:25 PM
The obvious answer is Brian Kerr but I'm wondering if OTJ might fall into that category. He looks a big awkward player and not sure he'll ever be popular but without looking at the stats I think we're probably a harder team to score against with him in the team.

Example of that is the malmo matches, I thought he looked poor in the first leg but second leg he never played and they just strolled through the middle. We also improved on Monday when he came on althoughi couldn't tell you what he actually did to improve the team.

:agree: Took a lot of stick the first few weeks when we were playing poorly, because he's not really seen to be doing all that much. But Monday showed just how good he is, when we have him on the park we're much more difficult to get through, and actually manage to get a hold of the ball.

He's never going to be a great footballer, but in terms of winning the ball back and breaking up play he's fantastic. If we had a proper, passing midfielder beside him we'd be quality. Unfortunately, our other DM's are also mainly about breaking up play, so we can't really deploy him as effectively as we should. If we force him to play the ball, he's going to look poor. Even at his best, he's not going to look like he's doing much, but it's noticeable when he's not there IMO.

dp00
12-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Ma-Kalamby.

Played over sixty games for us and still has the best record, in terms of both goals conceded and shutouts, of any keeper we've had in the last fifteen years. Never ceases to bug me, the stick he took and still takes. Sure Maka made some very high profile howlers, but nobody would be stupid enough to describe a striker who scored more goals for us than anybody else in the last fifteen years as 'useless' because he missed some real sitters. You would judge him on his overall record. Maka's record suggests that alongside the howlers he must have been doing something right. I guess that would be 'unseen work'.

Where is make now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Fergus52
12-10-2013, 01:16 AM
Jorge did a power of unseen work and was tremendous. Some fans still never rated him. Some fans are impaired.

agree with this, his reading of the game and interceptions were excellent.

God Petrie
12-10-2013, 03:32 AM
We need someone in the rocastle role.

To be serious, first pass out of defence is definitive as to how the team plays. With Nelson,Hanlon and McGivern shanking it up at the earliest opportunity we will never play football. People criticise Lewis but he never does that. He at least attempts a ball to a Hibs shirt.

Play the ball to the feet of our talented midfield players of Taiwo, Thommo, Robertson or Craig. They are good enough to create or distribute from that position. With a "solid" defence horsing it upfield our midfielders will never even get the opportunity to create or play football.

Jonnyboy
12-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Where is make now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Apparently at Royal Antwerp in Belgium

http://uk.soccerway.com/players/yves-makabu-makalamby/2526/

Andy74
12-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Ma-Kalamby.

Eh, naw.

Billy McKirdy
13-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Eh, naw.

Because of his howlers, Maka will unfortunately always provoke this type of response from most of us on here.

At his best however, Maka was absolutely brilliant and he's gone on to have a good career at a decent level.

Winston Ingram
13-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Just remember his tackling in midfield and runs into the box oh and making a tube of a certain Celtic goalie!

He certainly worked hard and tackled. Problem was he easily gave the ball away more than he won it back

The Leith Dutch
13-10-2013, 09:15 AM
With Nelson,Hanlon and McGivern shanking it up at the earliest opportunity we will never play football. People criticise Lewis but he never does that. He at least attempts a ball to a Hibs shirt.

Play the ball to the feet of our talented midfield players of Taiwo, Thommo, Robertson or Craig. They are good enough to create or distribute from that position. With a "solid" defence horsing it upfield our midfielders will never even get the opportunity to create or play football.

Just read the John Collins interview mentioned in another thread and thinking this is the managers fault surely?

Presumably PF has eyes and that suggests that he's either explicitly told the defence to punt it up the park or he never brings them up on it. Neither of these is acceptable.

The impatience of some parts of the support screaming at the players to get the f'ing ball forward probably plays a role too.....granted it's a little frustrating seeing a lot of backward passing but surely better than losing possession no?

Hiber-nation
13-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Because of his howlers, Maka will unfortunately always provoke this type of response from most of us on here.

At his best however, Maka was absolutely brilliant and he's gone on to have a good career at a decent level.

He's played a few times for DR Congo but as far as I can see he's only played 1 league game since leaving Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
13-10-2013, 09:54 AM

:confused: Has he?

Andy74
13-10-2013, 10:23 AM

He's done what?

RyeSloan
13-10-2013, 12:21 PM
He's done what?

Bugger all by the looks of it..one game in 2 seasons after leaving Hibs according to wiki....that's some progression!

Billy McKirdy
13-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Well he's signed for a few decent clubs, game time is another matter I suppose :greengrin

At his best he was very, very good.
At his worst.......(I'll let you fill in the blanks) ______________ ;)

GlenrothesHibee
13-10-2013, 12:52 PM
John O'Neil

Billy McKirdy
13-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Derek Collins

Keith_M
13-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Benny Brazil.

Nobody ever appreciated just how great he really was. He was in the starting line up one game at ER yet managed to sell me a Hot Dog at the snack bar half way through the first half.

Now THAT, my friends, is unseen work!