PDA

View Full Version : Jason Cummings

Unseen work
08-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Anyone who watched the under 20s able to shed some light on him? Seems to be scoring a lot at that level and seems to have moved ahead of Caldwell who wasn't in the team for first team and under 20s this week?

DaveF
09-10-2013, 06:48 AM
I've seen him in a couple of games. Seems small (ish) but has a good touch, work rate and is quite tricky. All left foot from what I can remember.

Pedantic_Hibee
09-10-2013, 09:38 AM
I've seen him in a couple of games. Seems small (ish) but has a good touch, work rate and is quite tricky. All left foot from what I can remember.

Sounds like a young Pedantic. Except I'm 6'4, have zero work rate, have lost all my tricks and am two-footed. Actually we're nothing like each other. Barry!

Geo_1875
09-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Sounds like a young Pedantic. Except I'm 6'4, have zero work rate, have lost all my tricks and am two-footed. Actually we're nothing like each other. Barry!

Can't kick with either foot?

Pedantic_Hibee
09-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Can't kick with either foot?

How very dare you. I wasn't the "Leith Laudrup" for nothing :fenlon:

Leishy1995
09-10-2013, 10:40 AM
My team mate played against him last year when he was at hutchie, and he said Jason will become a first team player, he's that good.

Was scoring more than 2 goals a game at hutchie aswell I believe.

Hibby Bairn
09-10-2013, 10:43 AM
My team mate played against him last year when he was at hutchie, and he said Jason will become a first team player, he's that good.

Maybe we should sell East Mains and pitch up at Fords Road.

Billy Whizz
09-10-2013, 10:47 AM

I've seen him in most of the SPFL under 20's home games, and I like what I see. Great touch and finisher, and a work rate to match. Definitely for a chance of making it at 1st team level

HTD1875
09-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Played against him last season and he was fast tricky with a great first touch, finishing wasn't great but suppose he'll be working on that at the HTC with help of the first team players and good coaches. Scored hundreds of goals in the 2nd division but was still a class above when playing against teams from the 1st division.

Unseen work
09-10-2013, 01:53 PM
I've seen him in most of the SPFL under 20's home games, and I like what I see. Great touch and finisher, and a work rate to match. Definitely for a chance of making it at 1st team level

From what you've seen do you think he is better than Caldwell?

SaulGoodman
09-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Hope he gets a chance soon.

Billy Whizz
09-10-2013, 03:06 PM

It's hard to say, not really the same sort of player. I like Caldwell, he just needs to knuckle down and work hard

SMAXXA
09-10-2013, 03:48 PM

To be honest I don't think Caldwell looks that good. Thought that from day 1 that he didn't look like he had it, but giving him the benefit of the doubt as he is still very young. Not that convinced with Handling either but same with Ross need more of a chance as still young.

Harris I think looks a player, the other 2 I will hope to be convinced.

Billy Whizz
09-10-2013, 03:54 PM
To be honest I don't think Caldwell looks that good. Thought that from day 1 that he didn't look like he had it, but giving him the benefit of the doubt as he is still very young. Not that convinced with Handling either but same with Ross need more of a chance as still young.

Harris I think looks a player, the other 2 I will hope to be convinced.
You don't rate Handling? Find that staggering!
Talented player who will definitely make it at Hibs

truehibernian
09-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Maybe we should sell East Mains and pitch up at Fords Road.

To be honest, back in the day it was almost considered a Hibs academy - Hibs, Dundee and Hearts were the three clubs most of my Hutchie teammates went to to train - mostly Hibs.

Still recall those cold November nights having to take turns going into the river to get the balls - clearly it was my shooting skills that made them end up there :greengrin

hibeemikey21
09-10-2013, 04:00 PM

I'm not so sure. Hope I'm proven wrong of course, but I don't think handling or Caldwell will make it with us.

Pedantic_Hibee
09-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Putting my neck on the line here, I don't think Caldwell or Handling will make it. Higher hopes for Handling but if have a feeling it's all going to go horribly Kurtis Byrne for they two.

truehibernian
09-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Putting my neck on the line here, I don't think Caldwell or Handling will make it. Higher hopes for Handling but if have a feeling it's all going to go horribly Kurtis Byrne for they two.

I think both will make it PH but maybe not at the pace they want it to happen. I'm concerned for Handling as I think he is a cracking player being asked to play a position in a pro team he isn't used to. As a striker he is top notch, but for me, never a midfielder or wide player.

Ross is a bit like Kris Boyd - same level of impact when Boyd was that age. He will look a bit disjointed at times, a bit 'disinterested' on occasion, but he does have a high work rate and he'll be a striker that has a stinker for 85 minutes but then be in the right place at the right time to score a cracker or an important goal.

Ross has to watch his social media use though - this week and pre-derby he didn't do himself favours (although for me he should have played in the derby due to the record he has, the fact he scored the winner there months before, and psycholigically it would have been on Hearts defenders minds).

SMAXXA
09-10-2013, 04:17 PM

I don't see what's so staggering about it to be honest, what's he actually done so far that would have me thinking any different compared to say Harris?

Don't get me wrong I'm not writing him off just not seen enough to convince me, same with Ross and tend to agree with Pedantics comments

Unseen work
09-10-2013, 04:18 PM

Personally think Danny definitely will. Is very good on the ball beating players or linking up play/playing intelligent passes. Just before his injury he was one of our best players. Hopefully he bulks up a wee bit tho. Also want him to be given a chance up top

B.H.F.C
09-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Where about is he going to get in to the team? And ahead of who?

Billy Whizz
09-10-2013, 04:23 PM
I don't see what's so staggering about it to be honest, what's he actually done so far that would have me thinking any different compared to say Harris?

Don't get me wrong I'm not writing him off just not seen enough to convince me, same with Ross and tend to agree with Pedantics comments

He's 19 years if age with around 20 appearances for Hibs, mostly from the bench or out of position. I think Handling is and will be quality for Hibs. Not the quickest, but good control and a great football brain. In the last game he played for us at ER before he was injured, I thought he was the only footballer in our team

SMAXXA
09-10-2013, 04:34 PM
He's 19 years if age with around 20 appearances for Hibs, mostly from the bench or out of position. I think Handling is and will be quality for Hibs. Not the quickest, but good control and a great football brain. In the last game he played for us at ER before he was injured, I thought he was the only footballer in our team

I think that's part of the problem me may have is lack of pace, modern game now is general about players that are quick, Forrest, mac-Stevens etc

HappyHibby93
09-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Like both Handling and Caldwell, however I wouldn't say they're dead certs to make at ER. when you compare them to the start Harris has made to first team football, I wouldn't say they are of the same quality, at the moment! Not to say that they won't I very much hope they do! Just to add, think Caldwell would be a crackin' poacher!

Jack
10-10-2013, 07:06 AM
In the cut and thrust of professional football I suppose these young laddies will have seen colleagues dissappear on a regular basis but I hope none of them are reading this.

It seems a bit early in these kids development to be subjected to the ferocity of a dotnet inquisition!

Hibby Kay-Yay
10-10-2013, 07:30 AM
I remember Fletcher was playing out on the wing/midfield when he broke through. Perhaps it's a tried and tested method of blooding young strikers.

MrRobot
10-10-2013, 08:00 AM
I don't think Handling will make it.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Is Jason not listed as a member of the first team on the official website?

With the training centre / academy our young players are perhaps more heavily scrutinised than before.
I don't know if that's a good thing or not time will tell.

J-C
10-10-2013, 09:42 AM
I remember Fletcher was playing out on the wing/midfield when he broke through. Perhaps it's a tried and tested method of blooding young strikers.

Arsen Wenger like to play his strikers out wide for a while, says they gain a lot more experience than just being an out and out striker, the modern game means that as a forward, you need to be able to slot in to any forward position when needed.

Kato
10-10-2013, 10:43 AM
....... but I hope none of them are reading this.....

It seems a bit early in these kids development to be subjected to the ferocity of a dotnet inquisition!

Exactly, unbelievable how much importance people put on making sure their negative opinions are put about. Especially on the subject of youngsters breaking through, who should be given every encouragement.

Kato
10-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Arsen Wenger like to play his strikers out wide for a while, says they gain a lot more experience than just being an out and out striker, the modern game means that as a forward, you need to be able to slot in to any forward position when needed.

It's always been standard practice to introduce young strikers as wingers. Lawrie Reilly spent a couple of seasons in various forward positions before being given his rightful berth at centre forward. Practice goes way back.

Pedantic_Hibee
10-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Exactly, unbelievable how much importance people put on making sure their negative opinions are put about. Especially on the subject of youngsters breaking through, who should be given every encouragement.

If they've got anything about them, they'll read the above and ram it down our throats. I'll happily eat humble pie no problem.

oconnors_strip
10-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Is Jason not listed as a member of the first team on the official website?

With the training centre / academy our young players are perhaps more heavily scrutinised than before.
I don't know if that's a good thing or not time will tell.

He was on the bench at Kilmarnock that's why he is listed in first team squad.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Reality tv and social media encourage / facilitate off-the-cuff outpourings without care for consequence. If we all acted with the brashness Sugar shows the cameras (and encourages in others) there would be carnage in the workplace. Ways and means. You can't make an omelette without breaking an egg but it doesn't mean you obliterate it in the process...

Kato
10-10-2013, 12:13 PM
You can't make an omelette without breaking an egg but it doesn't mean you obliterate it in the process...

But you could keep the fact you're breaking eggs to yourself rather than thinking it's more important than the omlette.

Velma Dinkley
10-10-2013, 01:39 PM
But you could keep the fact you're breaking eggs to yourself rather than thinking it's more important than the omlette.

You could just have a sandwich.

Jonnyboy
10-10-2013, 01:57 PM
I think Danny and Ross have suffered because in the eyes of some they have failed to burst onto the scene ala Boozy. Young Harris looked amazing from the off and the other lads didn't

Personally I think both Ross and Danny have the ability but at the moment I worry about the mentality/attitude of one of them

Kato
10-10-2013, 01:58 PM
You could just have a sandwich.

Omlette sandwich, mmm.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I think Danny and Ross have suffered because in the eyes of some they have failed to burst onto the scene ala Boozy. Young Harris looked amazing from the off and the other lads didn't

Personally I think both Ross and Danny have the ability but at the moment I worry about the mentality/attitude of one of them

I do wonder about how the important transition is handled. I guess a lot will depend on personality however thre coaches have a duty of care of the kids to ensure they keep on track and avoid worst case go off the rails.

On the indiscipline side I don't know if Hibs are different from any other club in this respect but we've had (and I won't take up old muck) a drugs tragedy and drink/driving instanceS and now twitter fails.

Can management/coaches do more? If our future is youth it's pretty important to get things right.

WellingtonHibby
11-10-2013, 01:40 AM

Ive only seen him a few times, but the boy runs like he's pulling a train behind him. No pace at all. :confused:
If he wants to be play up front, then he needs to work onhis speed or bulk up.
All IMO, of course, happy to be told other wise by uys who see him more regularly

truehibernian
11-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Ive only seen him a few times, but the boy runs like he's pulling a train behind him. No pace at all. :confused:
All IMO, of course, happy to be told other wise by uys who see him more regularly

Ally McCoist didn't have pace, and to an extent (and who Danny reminds me of) Kenny Miller didn't have searing pace either - both however terrific, prolific goal scorers. They were however very intelligent players and workers.

Danny is being played wrongy, absolutey no two ways about it - played up top, off a second striker, he has a very intelligent eye, sees a pass ahead of others and uses space well. If he got good midfield support and was played as a striker he'd flourish, I've no doubt.

Sadly Pat sees him as some sort of attacking wide midfielder which he isn't - even at the 19's and 20's he isn't. He's very very quick feet and as I say has that habit of right place right time up front. Many coaches I have spoken to say the same about Danny and rate him very highly.

number 27
11-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Ally McCoist didn't have pace, and to an extent (and who Danny reminds me of) Kenny Miller didn't have searing pace either - both however terrific, prolific goal scorers. They were however very intelligent players and workers.

Danny is being played wrongy, absolutey no two ways about it - played up top, off a second striker, he has a very intelligent eye, sees a pass ahead of others and uses space well. If he got good midfield support and was played as a striker he'd flourish, I've no doubt.

Sadly Pat sees him as some sort of attacking wide midfielder which he isn't - even at the 19's and 20's he isn't. He's very very quick feet and as I say has that habit of right place right time up front. Many coaches I have spoken to say the same about Danny and rate him very highly.

Agree with this, for me Handling's best role would be something similar to how Heff is playing at the moment, maybe he would be the ideal replacement for the cup tie?

truehibernian
11-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Agree with this, for me Handling's best role would be something similar to how Heff is playing at the moment, maybe he would be the ideal replacement for the cup tie?

The cup tie is where I would introduce Zoubir to be honest, and play Liam Craig centrally behind Collins.

I'm not a huge advocate of 4-5-1 but against Hearts I'd go with a little width and some height/attack central midfield. McGowan and Wilson are a hapless and hopeless pair of footballers and are continually being found out in games, particularly Dylan McGowan. McHattie likes to venture forward but has always always struggled when up against a player who runs at him - perfect for Zoubir.

If James Collins can rough Wilson up and tie up the central pair then Craig can be advanced just behind. I'd allow Zoubir to switch flanks as and when he sees fit, but to target McHattie in particular.

Andy74
11-10-2013, 01:30 PM

He played a couple of games up front and he struggled. I don't think he is quite there yet for that.

It's quite normal to introduce young attacking players in wide areas.

Don't let that stop the endless Fenlon ripping though!

B.H.F.C
11-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Problem is that he's not going to play in front of Heff who's proven at this level. He's not going to play in front of Collins. Even though he's been far from brilliant the fact we shelled out a lot of money makes it fairly likely that he is going to continue in the team. Beyond that Pat looks as if he wants to use Zoubir as a second striker. And I think its fair that he's showed more potential in his brief appearances.

Hibby Bairn
11-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Thought this thread was about Jason Cummings? :aok:

J-C
11-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Thought this thread was about Jason Cummings? :aok:

Like most threads on .net they go off on a tangent after a page, never return to the original post

Jonnyboy
11-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Not particularly aimed at you but I find it quite frightening that young players can be written off by people who've only seen them play a few times.

I can think of a few Hibs players who lacked real pace but still made the grade and scored goals in the first team

Kato
11-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Not particularly aimed at you but I find it quite frightening that young players can be written off by people who've only seen them play a few times.

I can think of a few Hibs players who lacked real pace but still made the grade and scored goals in the first team

Going back on Hibs.net I've heard Kenny Miller was never going to make it, Scott Brown's attitude was all wrong, Derek Riordan was too skinny for a footballer, Latapy was too much of a luxury.

People's egos dragging their opinions along.

Fergus52
11-10-2013, 10:36 PM
He played a couple of games up front and he struggled. I don't think he is quite there yet for that.

It's quite normal to introduce young attacking players in wide areas.

Don't let that stop the endless Fenlon ripping though!

:agree:

monktonharp
12-10-2013, 09:27 AM
note to Admins, how does a Wonga advertisement appear in the bottom right corner, at the foot of this page? sorry to take this debate off in a totally different tangent:greengrin