PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Targets

worcesterhibby
08-10-2013, 08:42 AM
The lack of an answer to the question about what Hibs Targets are at the AGM has led me to thinking about how I would set targets for the team and the club.

I've thought about it for a few days and it really doesn't seem like rocket science. If Hibs are to move forward then ongoing progress needs to be made. Year on year, season on season.

I believe that each season we should have an ultimate target and a Christmas time interim assessment stage. There should be a bold main target along with a reserve minimum that is required for the manager to keep his Job. The Interim assessment stage would have a slightly easier to achieve target and failure to meet the interim target would NOT result in an immediate sacking, it would result in a review of the managers position. Obviously if Top six were set as the interim target and in actual fact we were 7th but maybe only 6points off 3rd place, there would be no need to panic and the managers job would be safe.

So the next three years targets would have looked something like this.

Targets

2013/2014

League (final position) Top Four -- Minimum Requirement Top six
Interim target (where we are at Christmas) Top Six
Cup - At least one semi final

2014/2015

League (final Position) Top three -- Minimum requirement Top five
Interim target (where we are at Christmas) Top five
Cup - At least one Semi Final

2015/2016

League (final position) Top three ---- Minimum requirement Top four
Interim Target (where we are at Christmas) Top four

This would be a real statement of intent and would set out what is expected of both the team and the manager.

Not a perfect system by any means, but at least it would show a desire to improve ourselves as a club footballing wise. Any thoughts ?

Bleeds green
08-10-2013, 08:46 AM
What if we finish 10th but win a cup

worcesterhibby
08-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Even if we won a cup I don't think tenth place is good enough for a manager that has been in the Job for three seasons. Liverpool won a cup with Dalglish in charge but made no progress in the league. Liverpool didn't settle for that and brought in a new manager. They are now equal top of the league and look like they can really challenge this year.

Saorsa
08-10-2013, 09:16 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2hn6pso.jpg

The Sea-gull
08-10-2013, 09:25 AM
The lack of an answer to the question about what Hibs Targets are at the AGM has led me to thinking about how I would set targets for the team and the club.

I've thought about it for a few days and it really doesn't seem like rocket science. If Hibs are to move forward then ongoing progress needs to be made. Year on year, season on season.

I believe that each season we should have an ultimate target and a Christmas time interim assessment stage. There should be a bold main target along with a reserve minimum that is required for the manager to keep his Job. The Interim assessment stage would have a slightly easier to achieve target and failure to meet the interim target would NOT result in an immediate sacking, it would result in a review of the managers position. Obviously if Top six were set as the interim target and in actual fact we were 7th but maybe only 6points off 3rd place, there would be no need to panic and the managers job would be safe.

So the next three years targets would have looked something like this.

Targets

2013/2014

League (final position) Top Four -- Minimum Requirement Top six
Interim target (where we are at Christmas) Top Six
Cup - At least one semi final

2014/2015

League (final Position) Top three -- Minimum requirement Top five
Interim target (where we are at Christmas) Top five

2015/2016

League (final position) Top three ---- Minimum requirement Top four
Interim Target (where we are at Christmas) Top four

This would be a real statement of intent and would set out what is expected of both the team and the manager.

Not a perfect system by any means, but at least it would show a desire to improve ourselves as a club footballing wise. Any thoughts ?

Think these are bang on. Realistic without settling for mediocraty. Your target for 2015/16 might have to be looked at though as the Dundee United kids will have matured, Derek McInnes will have created a dynasty at Aberdeen, Terry Butcher will own Inverness by then (the town and the football team)we'll probably have Rangers and a resurgent Hearts back in the league by then so top 3 will be tougher.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Do other teams do this?

if so how ...
and if not why not?

Did Yogi achieve the target? Why was he "mutually'd" ?

Fwiw I do believe in targets - I think we should have them across the club for a number of things. Whether they should be published is the question. Well why not?

I do however think purely focusing on targets can lead to an imbalance - you may say we have this over the years cos the "targets" or focus were skewed to infrastructure. Look at the NHS and Scotland WC qualification to see examples of focusing purely on targets - it's fine if they are the right targets but if not patient care suffers, the old guard are favoured instead of blooding newer generations (thanks Pa Broon et al)

Andy74
08-10-2013, 12:55 PM
What's the point in targets if they can be written off if they haven't been achieved in the style of Brazil 1970?

There will always be a yes, but....,attached to anything we achieve just now by the looks of things.

HibbyAndy
08-10-2013, 04:40 PM
What's the point in targets if they can be written off if they haven't been achieved in the style of Brazil 1970?

There will always be a yes, but....,attached to anything we achieve just now by the looks of things.

Top six EVERY single season should be MANDATORY never mind a target.

rcarter1
08-10-2013, 05:02 PM
I believe that setting a minimum target for a club like Hibs is sensible.
An acknowledgement of our size as a club in relation to the league, with targets in place would set a clear message to players, coaches etc as to what we are about.

Does however depend on who is in the league, so setting anything stone is dangerous.

In a season with both Old Firm in decent enough shape, you could identify Aberdeen, Hearts, and to a lesser degree Motherwell, Dundee Utd, and say A.N.Other 'in form' team as rivals. Finishing bottom of that group leaves us on 8th. For me thats abject failure to compete with your rivals, and should lead to the sack. 7th is shoogly peg, 6th questions asked, 5th Ok, 4th well done, and 3rd crack open the champagne.

Anything above that would lead to the manager being headhunted, so is in effect a sacking offence.. :greengrin

MrSmith
08-10-2013, 05:35 PM
2nd, two finals and we are the hibees! Anything less is unacceptable!!!!

Andy74
08-10-2013, 05:55 PM
I believe that setting a minimum target for a club like Hibs is sensible.
An acknowledgement of our size as a club in relation to the league, with targets in place would set a clear message to players, coaches etc as to what we are about.

Does however depend on who is in the league, so setting anything stone is dangerous.

In a season with both Old Firm in decent enough shape, you could identify Aberdeen, Hearts, and to a lesser degree Motherwell, Dundee Utd, and say A.N.Other 'in form' team as rivals. Finishing bottom of that group leaves us on 8th. For me thats abject failure to compete with your rivals, and should lead to the sack. 7th is shoogly peg, 6th questions asked, 5th Ok, 4th well done, and 3rd crack open the champagne.

Anything above that would lead to the manager being headhunted, so is in effect a sacking offence.. :greengrin

Where do you work in points for artistic impression?

Jack
08-10-2013, 06:08 PM
What if we get more points, more goals season on season but don't end up in the required placing?

weonlywon6-2
08-10-2013, 06:12 PM

Id settle for that every year

rcarter1
08-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Where do you work in points for artistic impression?

Good question, perhaps a feel good questionnaire? :dunno:

I suspect that one could come up with an algorithm whereby you could relate season attendances to both results and entertainment. For example finishing 4th but average crowds of 10,000 would be classified as a 6th place finish, and a 6th place finish with 12,000 crowds would be classified as a 4th place.

where is the 'frustrated maths guy making an arse of his calculations' smilie.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Arsenals George Graham or Wengers?

rcarter1
08-10-2013, 06:14 PM
What if we get more points, more goals season on season but don't end up in the required placing?

Sack everyone.:grr:

greenlex
08-10-2013, 06:15 PM
What if we play like Bazilil and are relegated year on year into the Lowland leagues with crowds of over 14k?

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Think these are bang on. Realistic without settling for mediocraty. Your target for 2015/16 might have to be looked at though as the Dundee United kids will have matured, Derek McInnes will have created a dynasty at Aberdeen, Terry Butcher will own Inverness by then (the town and the football team)we'll probably have Rangers and a resurgent Hearts back in the league by then so top 3 will be tougher.

So you think by 2016 everything will have gone swimmingly for everyone ... other than us? That's positive.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 06:18 PM
What if we play like Bazilil and are relegated year on year into the Lowland leagues with crowds of over 14k?

Then we get a manager in who gets us playing like Brazil to get us back. :wink:

rcarter1
08-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Come to the conclusion that Brazilil are rubbish. :fishin:

greenlex
08-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Then we get a manager in who gets us playing like Brazil to get us back. :wink:

That was a second attempt too. I need to think about trading these fat fingers in.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 06:23 PM
That was a second attempt too. I need to think about trading these fat fingers in.

:greengrin