PDA

View Full Version : Pat having a dig at BBC Sportsound? (merged)

The Harp Awakes
08-10-2013, 07:17 AM
The anti-Hibs bias on this show really is going into overdrive now. In the lead up to the Partick game each of the pundits took turns to have a go at the team and/or Pat Fenlon. In contrast they were lavish in their praise of Partick and even took time out to have their usual wee love in with Aberdeen, who seem to be the media darlings even though they have no more points than us.

If I was Pat I'd have a photo on the dressing room door of Michael Stewart, Chick Young, Alan Preston, Billy Dodds etc, and use it as a siege mentality.

We may not be the finished article and we didn't play well for much of last night's game but we certainly don't deserve the stick we get in the media.

Treadstone
08-10-2013, 07:23 AM
The anti-Hibs bias on this show really is going into overdrive now. In the lead up to the Partick game each of the pundits took turns to have a go at the team and/or Pat Fenlon. In contrast they were lavish in their praise of Partick and even took time out to have their usual wee love in with Aberdeen, who seem to be the media darlings even though they have no more points than us.

Thought PF alluded to that in his interview something about not getting credit for the wee run before the Inverness game.
Although had to wait ten minutes for that as Sportsound dedicated a story about serial bluenose fantasist Dave King after the match.

lapsedhibee
08-10-2013, 07:25 AM

If I was Pat I'd have a photo on the dressing room door of Michael Stewart, Chick Young, Alan Preston, Billy Dodds etc, and use it as a siege mentality.

We may not be the finished article and we didn't play well for much of last night's game but we certainly don't deserve the stick we get in the media.

Understatement of the week. For virtually the whole of last night's match we looked as if we'd never played football together, and for the first half as if we'd never even met each other. As another poster so succinctly put it, TAP-TAP-TAP-HOOF. The Particks, on the other hand, tried to play as a team from the word go. Sportsound is crap and I don't listen to it any more, but if they're saying we're crap they're right.

Frazerbob
08-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Thought PF alluded to that in his interview something about not getting credit for the wee run before the Inverness game.
Although had to wait ten minutes for that as Sportsound dedicated a story about serial bluenose fantasist Dave King after the match.

PF also had a dig when Chic mentioned that we'ere now joint 4th with Aberdeen. Something along the lines of "yes and they've had a fantastic start to the season so congratulations to them". It seems to me that he is developing a bit of a siege mentality and quite rightly so. The constant questioning of Mikey Stewart, every week, about his opinions on Fenlon and the continual harping back to Stewart's thoughts on John Collins is pathetic.

Whilst I actually agree with Stewart on Fenlon and have never thought he's up to the job, the bottom line is, he has got us up to 4th, we are not going to get relegated and he is not going to get the sack. We should now give him absolute support until the end of the season. Then, with his contract up, we can thank him for his efforts in steadying the ship and bring in somebody who is capable of taking us to the next level.

Golden Bear
08-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Dunno if the highlights have already been posted, but if not:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/24439372

Matty_Jack04
08-10-2013, 08:34 AM
I think it's hard to criticise sportsound on this one considering there basically talking about the same things we've been moaning about all season, I don't think they need much excuse to put the boot in anyway but we've certainly gave them more than enough ammo for it

Glesgahibby
08-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Chick Young "joint forth with Aberdeen,don't see how people can get upset about that"
Pat Fenlon "no but they've had a fabulous start to the season I beleive"
:cb

SMAXXA
08-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Chick Young "joint forth with Aberdeen,don't see how people can get upset about that"

Totally agree with him

The Sea-gull
08-10-2013, 08:46 AM

I picked up on that and wasn't sure if it was a dig or not. Not sure if he said the "I believe" part? Think he just left it at "and they've had a fantastic start to the season."

Was definitely an open ended comment anyway.

Andy74
08-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Our medium term form is okay really. Last 15 league games we've won 7 drawn 4 and lost 4.

If we can replicate that type of pattern we'd be 2nd or 3rd.

Malmo and then the two poor league results right after have obviously had a big effect but I think since then we've been able to bring in and bring back from injury some of the players we have been lacking.

The football could be a lot better but I honestly don't see why so many are quite so negative.

We won away from home last night on the type of night we are famous for slipping up in.

We've lost 1 game in 8 and had some good disaplays in some of those matches.

Part/Time Supporter
08-10-2013, 08:50 AM
I think that was more of a dig at the media (aka Sportsound) than anyone else. They've been droning on all season about how brilliant Aberdeen are now supposedly. Pat appears to be getting cheesed off at the way anytime one of the media darlings has a poor result it is glossed over, but each time Hibs have a poor result it's back to the "Fenlon under pressure" headlines. The worst example of this was when even after Hibs had produced a good performance and won well against St Mirren, you still had Mikey Stewart on the radio saying that Fenlon wasn't up to the job.

PeeJay
08-10-2013, 08:53 AM
We're 5th, we're 5 points from being 2nd but only 4 from being 8th or 9th ... only 2 teams have scored fewer goals than us, none of them are in the top 6 ... this mid term "high" means very little if you ask me ..

The Sea-gull
08-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Defintely think that there is a something going on with the BBC radio and Hibs and have done for a while. Not sure what it is but they seem to be heavily loaded with Yams and even the non-yams seem to line up to have a pop. In fact some of them are even worse than the likes of Robbo, Stewart and Biscuits who I think are actually reasonably fair in their comments.

Worst offenders for me are Liam McLeod, Rob McLean, Richard Gordon, Jonathan Sutherland and worst of all Kenny "lets talk about John Collins' problems with the players when he was Hibs manager 6.5 years ago" McIntyre who I have no idea what his issue with us. I reckon four out of that five support aberdeen (no idea who McIntyre supports) so no idea what there beef with us is.

Then there is Cowan and Cosgrove who can't wait to stick the boot in on Off the Ball. What about Keith Jackson. I could go on.

Some of it is justified as we have been rank for a few years but some of it is way over the top and you just get a sense of seethe and dissappointment when we score/win. Also, our defensive disasters and pumpings seem to get emphasised way more than other teams.

Having said that, on last night's programme I didn't really disagree with much Mikey Stewart said and tend to find him a decent pundit. Dodds, another who I don't mind, was fair too and Chick Young even said a few times that while he duidn't think Hibs were that good a team, the results we had got this season and where wee are is decent enough and the criticism from some quarters of the media of PF was way over the top. Kenny McIntyre on the other hand was at the jobby stirring and gets away with it as he is the presenter so expresses his opinion in the form of leading questions rather than statements of his opinion.

RickyS
08-10-2013, 09:10 AM
We're 5th, we're 5 points from being 2nd but only 4 from being 8th or 9th ... only 2 teams have scored fewer goals than us, none of them are in the top 6 ... this mid term "high" means very little if you ask me ..

exactly, he just beat the team with the lowest budget and they played better football and we should be fighting at that end of the table, sounds to me he is playing the hard done by card

worcesterhibby
08-10-2013, 09:11 AM
The key thing we lack (IMHO) is a willingness to drive forward. So much of our passing is aimed at trying not to be the guy who gives the ball away, so the short passing is negative and usually leads to a player feeling under too much pressure to do anything but hoof the ball up the park. Very, very rarely do we see Hibs players running on to the ball with the pass made in front of them to run on to. When we have possession we need midfielders who are willing to burst forward and take a pass on the run. Players who have the ability and desire to drive at defences and open up space. Zoubir seems about the only guy willing to do that at the moment, Harris too when he is back from injury.

Without that drive and without the willingness to pass the ball ahead of a player to run on to it, we will continue to struggle, create few chances and lack the dynamism required to get anywhere near the top 4 at the end of the season.

Glesgahibby
08-10-2013, 09:12 AM
I picked up on that and wasn't sure if it was a dig or not. Not sure if he said the "I believe" part? Think he just left it at "and they've had a fantastic start to the season."

Was definitely an open ended comment anyway.
I recorded the radio and tv last night as sometimes the bbc edit interviews later,"I believe"where the last words pat used and most defiantly in a sarcastic(GIRUY) manner:aok:

Aldo
08-10-2013, 09:15 AM
I think it's hard to criticise sportsound on this one considering there basically talking about the same things we've been moaning about all season, I don't think they need much excuse to put the boot in anyway but we've certainly gave them more than enough ammo for it

Yeah but we are fans if the club they are not. They have been like this for years and frankly don't listen to them anymore.

They don't need much these days to have a dig at our club.

Aberdeen (the best of the rest) one week, yams love in every week. They can all GTF.

Bout time we had a BBC media blackout at ER

The Sea-gull
08-10-2013, 09:17 AM
I think that was more of a dig at the media (aka Sportsound) than anyone else. They've been droning on all season about how brilliant Aberdeen are now supposedly. Pat appears to be getting cheesed off at the way anytime one of the media darlings has a poor result it is glossed over, but each time Hibs have a poor result it's back to the "Fenlon under pressure" headlines. The worst example of this was when even after Hibs had produced a good performance and won well against St Mirren, you still had Mikey Stewart on the radio saying that Fenlon wasn't up to the job.

To be fair to Mikey, he is only expressing an opinion on PF when he has been asked a question (usually by Kenny McIntyre). It's not like he is banging on about Fenlon all the time.

The BBC have stumbled accross a forumla that is working for them right now. Stewart is not daft and even said last night to McIntyre before the game when responding to a question about Hibs' form "I know where you are trying to take me" in reference to McIntyre trying to get his opinion on PF out of him again. McIntyre's response was "not yet".

It is obviously a topic that gets them lots of tweets, emails etc and fills a bit of air time for them when it is a Hibs related show or segment. As lonmg as they get a reaction and a response they will keep doing it.

The Sea-gull
08-10-2013, 09:18 AM
I recorded the radio and tv last night as sometimes the bbc edit interviews later,"I believe"where the last words pat used and most defiantly in a sarcastic(GIRUY) manner:aok:

Oh well, nothing open ended about that then!

keep the faith
08-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Sportsound are saying what they see. Any neutral would be bored to tears watching hibs. We never take the game to anyone and we have no pace. Its great we got a win last night but im not kidding myself that we deserve more credit or there is any media conspiracy against us.

Glesgahibby
08-10-2013, 09:23 AM
The key thing we lack (IMHO) is a willingness to drive forward. So much of our passing is aimed at trying not to be the guy who gives the ball away, so the short passing is negative and usually leads to a player feeling under too much pressure to do anything but hoof the ball up the park. Very, very rarely do we see Hibs players running on to the ball with the pass made in front of them to run on to. When we have possession we need midfielders who are willing to burst forward and take a pass on the run. Players who have the ability and desire to drive at defences and open up space. Zoubir seems about the only guy willing to do that at the moment, Harris too when he is back from injury.

Without that drive and without the willingness to pass the ball ahead of a player to run on to it, we will continue to struggle, create few chances and lack the dynamism required to get anywhere near the top 4 at the end of the season.
Confidence and expression was lacking last night,even simple passes were over or under played,this led to lack of possession and thistle winning just about every second ball.

ekhibee
08-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I think Michael Stewart has been a breath of fresh air on Sportsound whether you agree with him or not. He gives a genuine opinion instead of a bog standard no commitment reply. Okay so he's a Hearts fan, but yesterday before the game he was saying, quite rightly, in my opinion, that Hibs should be up there challenging for second place, and that he doesn't see us progressing to that level with our current manager. He also replied to questions from Twitter about who he thought could do a better job and he said Peter Grant, with Beuzelin as head coach. I did agree with Chick Young though when he pointed out that they shouldn't really be having a discussion about prospective candidates for the Hibs job when there's already a manager in place.

Glesgahibby
08-10-2013, 09:44 AM
I have said before and will say again,some(not all)on sportsound have had it in for hibs since yogi got the bullet,add to this the abuse rod Petrie got for not throwing money at Collins or yogi when hearts where abusing other peoples money.
i think wee pats right to have a dig.we are 9 games in and have had our ups and downs like every other team in the league including Aberdeen.

Part/Time Supporter
08-10-2013, 09:49 AM
I think Michael Stewart has been a breath of fresh air on Sportsound whether you agree with him or not. He gives a genuine opinion instead of a bog standard no commitment reply. Okay so he's a Hearts fan, but yesterday before the game he was saying, quite rightly, in my opinion, that Hibs should be up there challenging for second place, and that he doesn't see us progressing to that level with our current manager. He also replied to questions from Twitter about who he thought could do a better job and he said Peter Grant, with Beuzelin as head coach. I did agree with Chick Young though when he pointed out that they shouldn't really be having a discussion about prospective candidates for the Hibs job when there's already a manager in place.

Peter Grant was poor as Norwich manager, and quit after about a year. I think Hibs considered him once around that time.

jacomo
08-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Pat and the team should use this as a motivation.

People are talking about us and expectations are high. Why not aspire to meet them?

Happy with the result last night but at best it was a dogged performance, very far from inspirational. Could have easily gone behind before we scored, and we created very little. I thought Thistle did poorly for the goal, too - Zoubir allowed to cross despite the close attention of two defenders, then the ball is played right across the 18 yard line to Craig who was given loads of space.

Nice finish though. :aok:

Phil MaGlass
08-10-2013, 10:00 AM

I think you under estimate the fact we are 5th, I am not a big fenlon supporter but teams like St.Mirren and Killie would give their right hands to be where we are, we may not have been setting the heather alight recently but either have the rest of the league.We have been picking up points regularly by not playing well in some of our games, we do have a good team, I think things are coming together, albeit slowly, but itīs coming together.
We definitely are not getting the coverage we deserve in a biased media.
I think now really is the time for everyone(not a dig at you) to get behind the team.A noisy vocal support getting behind what I see as a decent team we could achieve something this season.

AndyM_1875
08-10-2013, 10:03 AM
BBC Sportsound Is basically Pacific Quay CSC or an occasional Aberdeen love in.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 10:10 AM
I think you under estimate the fact we are 5th, I am not a big fenlon supporter but teams like St.Mirren and Killie would give their right hands to be where we are, we may not have been setting the heather alight recently but either have the rest of the league.We have been picking up points regularly by not playing well in all our games, we do have a good team, I think things are coming together, albeit slowly, but itīs coming together.
I think now really is the time for everyone(not a dig at you) to get behind the team.A noisy vocal support getting behind what I see as a decent team we could achieve something this season.

I dont see this happening, mainly because of what folk are watching. I know of at least 5 people who watched the game last night on the telly who won't be back until the cup game against the gimps. And the only reason they are going to that game is the social side of things.

Nowadays with the expense of it, i know personally i want much more for my money than what i saw last night.

I know it will go against the grain with some folk, but that was abysmal and did nothing to change my mind on just how awful a football team we have become.

If thats the kind of stuff folk are happy with, then i'm glad for them but its just not for me.

Ray_
08-10-2013, 10:21 AM
I dont see this happening, mainly because of what folk are watching. I know of at least 5 people who watched the game last night on the telly who won't be back until the cup game against the gimps. And the only reason they are going to that game is the social side of things.

Nowadays with the expense of it, i know personally i want much more for my money than what i saw last night.

I know it will go against the grain with some folk, but that was abysmal and did nothing to change my mind on just how awful a football team we have become.

If thats the kind of stuff folk are happy with, then i'm glad for them but its just not for me.

I'm with you on that one, the performance was very workmanlike but very primitive, it was like watching the bottom tier of professional football, Kevin Thomson was Hibs the only outside player that looked as though he was playing in a country's top division.

Crazyhorse
08-10-2013, 10:24 AM
I think you under estimate the fact we are 5th, I am not a big fenlon supporter but teams like St.Mirren and Killie would give their right hands to be where we are, we may not have been setting the heather alight recently but either have the rest of the league.We have been picking up points regularly by not playing well in some of our games, we do have a good team, I think things are coming together, albeit slowly, but itīs coming together.

Problem is our defence looked like the keystone cops last night against a very poor quality strike force. Williams and appalling finishing prevented it being 4 or 5 goals for Thistle. Balls over the top, through the middle, down the flanks and from set pieces seemed to cause chaos for Hibs with defenders constantly leaving the ball for someone else to deal with. We still seem a badly organised and unsure team. I'll happily take a 1-0 win rather than a 0-7 humiliation but the performance last night wasn't much above the Malmo level and we were lucky it was PT we were up against - a team with a couple of half decent strikers would have given us a hiding. We had a jammy run last season which saved our (and Pat's bacon) but our luck ran out eventually. In my view we need a big improvement to finish in the top six this season.

WhileTheChief..
08-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Stewart and McIntyre were bang out of order last night. Was a disgrace the way that pair go on non stop about Fenlon and Petrie. Every damn week it's the same.

Stewart saying we need a football man on the board and a philosophy as a club. Aye right then, name me one board in the SPFL that has someone with more experience than RP.

What philosophy do St J have , or Aberdeen or anyone else??

Cheap digs for thrills. Pair of total roasters and the love in with Stewart on here is sickening.

I usually really like sportsound and stick up for them but last night was shocking.

Hibs should tell them to gtf in future.

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 10:40 AM

You don't bother mentioning our goals against column. I assume it's because it doesn't tie in with the hibs are crap because... theory.

Goals against 8; only celtc and the arabs better that.

bbc sport may not like hibs for whatever reason (mostly the amateurish yam influence there), but they're ignoring the eleephant in thw room. They might wax lyrical about the yama, but the one seriously bad team in the premiership is ... the yams. They're about to implode, football-wise, big-time. Can't wait.

I support Hibs, and we're 4th and on the way up. I saw some **** from the tornadoes.as.well. Anyone who wants to continue to pull our club apart can **** off. I wish they would.

J-C
08-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Pretty much sums up my feeling exactly G.

Kato
08-10-2013, 11:02 AM
I have said before and will say again,some(not all)on sportsound have had it in for hibs since yogi got the bullet.

I reckon it's since Collins left.

Kato
08-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Stewart and McIntyre were bang out of order last night. Was a disgrace the way that pair go on non stop about Fenlon and Petrie. Every damn week it's the same.

Stewart saying we need a football man on the board and a philosophy as a club. Aye right then, name me one board in the SPFL that has someone with more experience than RP.

Cheap digs for thrills. Pair of total roasters and the love in with Stewart on here is sickening.

I usually really like sportsound and stick up for them but last night was shocking.

All of this.

Peevemor
08-10-2013, 11:11 AM

Well said.

Glesgahibby
08-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Met Petrie a few years back at love st.we lost 2-1(tommy Craig's last game) took time out to sit at our table when I approached him.I thanked him for his efforts in structuring the clubs stability and securing our future,his reply was a quick and polite thank you followed by an indephth view on the game.
He didn't hold back on how poor our performance was and responded like any hibs fan would.
If I am reading Stewart's comments correctly he thinks an ex pro or manager would be better on the board to review manager/coaching staffs progress,I would disagree as this would not allow a manager to do his job properly(good or bad)

flash
08-10-2013, 11:22 AM
You don't bother mentioning our goals against column. I assume it's because it doesn't tie in with the hibs are crap because... theory.

bbc sport may not like hibs for whatever reason (mostly the amateurish yam influence there), but they're ignoring the eleephant in thw room. They might wax lyrical about the yama, but the one seriously bad team in the premiership is ... the yams. They're about to implode, football-wise, big-time. Can't wait.

I support Hibs, and we're 4th and on the way up. I saw some **** from the tornadoes.as.well. Anyone who wants to continue to pull our club apart can **** off. I wish they would.

The only flaw in your plan is we would lose half the posters on this forum.

Onion
08-10-2013, 11:25 AM

And there's only one person he can blame for that .

SaulGoodman
08-10-2013, 11:27 AM
The only flaw in your plan is we would lose half the posters on this forum.

Is that a problem? :greengrin

flash
08-10-2013, 11:28 AM
And there's only one person he can blame for that .

The good thing is at least we know Michael stewart doesn't have an axe to grind against Hibs.

s.a.m
08-10-2013, 11:31 AM

:agree:

The way to the Sportsound team's hearts seems to be squandering lots and lots of other people's money, going bust and metamorphosing into valiant folk-heroes.

Glesgahibby
08-10-2013, 11:37 AM

:top marks

silverhibee
08-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Cannot argue with that BH, went to the game with my lad last night and will probably be my last away game for this season, the football on show from my team was f***in terrible, Partick seemed to know what there plan was and there players knew what they were doing, the only thing that let them down last night and will probably let them down in more games to come is they are not very good at taking there chances, a decent striker for them and no doubt about it they would have picked up more points this season.

As for Hibs, there is no plan, just prey and hope for the best with the 11 that are picked to play on the day/night, hoof, back the way hoof or side ways then back the way and hoof again, it was so painful to watch last night and the fans made it quite clear what they thought of the teams performance at half time as the boo's rung out from the main stand from the Hibs fans in attendance, we didn't grind out that result last night we just got very lucky and stole the 3 pts that were up for grabs, we had a 2 minute spell in the 2nd half and got a good goal from Craig who had been very poor up until that point, the 3 points are more than welcome but the performance and how we play football is so boring and pish too.

PeeJay
08-10-2013, 11:52 AM

No need for your cheap invective - we're all entitled to our opinions! I see no reason to paint a rosy picture of the club's current situation: you may choose to do otherwise, as you wish. As to goals against, we haven't played many top 6 teams yet and I couldn't be bothered - and - FWIW - the "worst team in the SPFL" (the elephant in the room as you say) beat us - so how do you get round that then?:greengrin
Mentioning the TTs along with this team in this thread is a bold move on your part - can't see the comparison myself ... and the BBC are certainly not the reason why we are so poor a team at the moment - Fenlon that's the reason - IMO!

B.H.F.C
08-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Cannot argue with that BH, went to the game with my lad last night and will probably be my last away game for this season, the football on show from my team was f***in terrible, Partick seemed to know what there plan was and there players knew what they were doing, the only thing that let them down last night and will probably let them down in more games to come is they are not very good at taking there chances, a decent striker for them and no doubt about it they would have picked up more points this season.

As for Hibs, there is no plan, just prey and hope for the best with the 11 that are picked to play on the day/night, hoof, back the way hoof or side ways then back the way and hoof again, it was so painful to watch last night and the fans made it quite clear what they thought of the teams performance at half time as the boo's rung out from the main stand from the Hibs fans in attendance, we didn't grind out that result last night we just got very lucky and stole the 3 pts that were up for grabs, we had a 2 minute spell in the 2nd half and got a good goal from Craig who had been very poor up until that point, the 3 points are more than welcome but the performance and how we play football is so boring and pish too.

That about sums it up for me. The thread has posters slating sportsound when really our problems are closer to home. For what it's worth I agreed with a bit of what Michael Stewart said. Pat has been there two years and the team doesn't have an identity. We plod through games and it's painful to watch.

Something that just sums up things for me is that we have a very promising young centre half coming through and he's going to be nowhere to be seen this year. Instead we have a journeyman like Nelson on a two year deal while Forster is out of contract at the end of the season. It just shows the way Pat wants to go.

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 12:04 PM
No need for your cheap invective - we're all entitled to our opinions! I see no reason to paint a rosy picture of the club's current situation: you may choose to do otherwise, as you wish. As to goals against, we haven't played many top 6 teams yet and I couldn't be bothered - and - FWIW - the "worst team in the SPFL" (the elephant in the room as you say) beat us - so how do you get round that then?:greengrin
Mentioning the TTs along with this team in this thread is a bold move on your part - can't see the comparison myself ... and the BBC are certainly not the reason why we are so poor a team at the moment - Fenlon that's the reason - IMO!

How do I beat that? We hosed on st mirren, who hosed on the yams. Which is as crap an argument as yours is. Otherwise, Scotland really were the best in the world in 1967.

The yams fluked it against us, they fluked it against the dons and they fluked it against Patrick. They maybe deserved their point v the Arabs, but they got what they deserved v Ross county.

The point is, overall thus far, they have been lucky. They will be lucky to reach 0 by Christmas, and remain the BBC"s lovespawn, while they continue to pick holes in the team who are equal on points to the other current favorites, Aberdeen.

It wasn't cheap invective; I meant every ****ing word of it.

IMHO

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Problem is our defence looked like the keystone cops last night against a very poor quality strike force. Williams and appalling finishing prevented it being 4 or 5 goals for Thistle. Balls over the top, through the middle, down the flanks and from set pieces seemed to cause chaos for Hibs with defenders constantly leaving the ball for someone else to deal with. We still seem a badly organised and unsure team. I'll happily take a 1-0 win rather than a 0-7 humiliation but the performance last night wasn't much above the Malmo level and we were lucky it was PT we were up against - a team with a couple of half decent strikers would have given us a hiding. We had a jammy run last season which saved our (and Pat's bacon) but our luck ran out eventually. In my view we need a big improvement to finish in the top six this season.

Yeah, I don't see the point of having a decent keeper either. Waste of money when he shouldn't have anything to do.

Similar to having a great striker; makes you a 1 man team, by all accounts.

Sammy7nil
08-10-2013, 12:10 PM

I think you are WAY Over estimating where we are and should be. This league has no Rangers and effectively no Hearts team to try to talk up 5th place is laughable. Neither Hibs or us as supporters should be content with only a top 6 place in this VERY weak league. Hibs and the fans MUST aim higher and demand better.

Sammy7nil
08-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Stewart asked not talk about Fenlon saying he had already made his thoughts known and was unlikely to change his opinion. The co-presentor continued to press Stewart who had no option but to answer. I think it is wrong to slag off Stewart when he is saying what a very large chunk of the Hibs support agree with.

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Stewart asked not talk about Fenlon saying he had already made his thoughts known and was unlikely to change his opinion. The co-presentor continued to press Stewart who had no option but to answer. I think it is wrong to slag off Stewart when he is saying what a very large chunk of the Hibs support agree with.

No option? Really? Wow.

Stewart is an incoherent twat who offers no insight on the game. I'd rather hear Steven Thompson any day, even robbo.

patlowe
08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Just about every sportsound programme agenda goes something like this.

First 20 minutes: Let's talk about Neil Lennon's latest controversial comments. It's probably irrelevant, and bitter, but it's about Celtic so we may as well discuss it.

Next 10 minutes: Speak about a non-OF club using pundits that don't really have any sort of in-depth knowledge regarding said club at the current time. Try to spin the conversation on to the OF if possible (see recent phone-in/discussion about Kilmarnock's troubles where they pretty much just decided to speak about Celtic instead!)

Last 30 minutes: "And now let's turn our attention to Rangers...".

steakbake
08-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Just about every sportsound programme agenda goes something like this.

First 20 minutes: Let's talk about Neil Lennon's latest controversial comments. It's probably irrelevant, and bitter, but it's about Celtic so we may as well discuss it.

Next 10 minutes: Speak about a non-OF club using pundits that don't really have any sort of in-depth knowledge regarding said club at the current time. Try to spin the conversation on to the OF if possible (see recent phone-in/discussion about Kilmarnock's troubles where they pretty much just decided to speak about Celtic instead!)

Last 30 minutes: "And now let's turn our attention to Rangers...".

In a nutshell...

Sammy7nil
08-10-2013, 12:32 PM
No option? Really? Wow.

Stewart is an incoherent twat who offers no insight on the game. I'd rather hear Steven Thompson any day, even robbo.

Yeah Wow ! I suppose he could have said no comment / refused to answer / stay stum / lie and say pat is doing a damn fine job etc etc I wonder if he would be asked to "work" again Wow :greengrin

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 12:35 PM

Michael Stewart; failed at Man U, failed at homfc, failed at Hibsd, failed at homfc again, amongst other failures of his. And he's what - 30? - and no longer a professional player.

And people give him credence. Unbelievable.

Sammy7nil
08-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Michael Stewart; failed at Man U, failed at homfc, failed at Hibsd, failed at homfc again, amongst other failures of his. And he's what - 30? - and no longer a professional player.

That is nonsense and you know it. No one is saying M Stewart is totally correct however he was asked his opinion for which he is PAID to give right or wrong. Perhaps the BBC should run their guest list past this forum and let us decide who should be allowed to speak on their shows. As you say Unbelievable some people getting so upset about a few comments, if you really are that upset contact the BBC and let them know. I am sure they will read out your comment live on air and 100 % of listeners will agree with you :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
08-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Spot on. Closest he ever got to achieving something was the bench for us in the final. He's no bitter though eh.

Played about 200 games in his career , scoring a dozen times. He's a total nobody wanting to be a pundit.

PeeJay
08-10-2013, 12:48 PM
It wasn't cheap invective; I meant every ****ing word of it.

IMHO

Never doubted you for a moment ... :na na:

Sammy7nil
08-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Spot on. Closest he ever got to achieving something was the bench for us in the final. He's no bitter though eh.

Played about 200 games in his career , scoring a dozen times. He's a total nobody wanting to be a pundit.

I will use the buzz word WOW :greengrin no bitterness there either.
Did you ever try to play football? Did you picked for the school team?
Michael Stewart was paid by possibly the biggest team in the world to play football, he went on to play for his boyhood hero's, he has made (I would guess) a very good living playing football a job he probably really enjoyed. On the back of that he is now a "pundit" making a (again I would guess) decent living.

I wonder how many on here would like to emulate his failure :greengrin

P.S. I never liked Mr Stewart but never doubted his "success" just to be paid to play football at the top level in any country for me is a success.

WhileTheChief..
08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Michael Stewart was paid by possibly the biggest team in the world to play football, he went on to play for his boyhood hero's, he has made (I would guess) a very good living playing football a job he probably really enjoyed. On the back of that he is now a "pundit" making a (again I would guess) decent living.

P.S. I never liked Mr Stewart but never doubted his "success" just to be paid to play football at the top level in any country for me is a success.

I did play football, in a very succesful primary 5 side! Also won a medal at a gala day once. More than Stewart can claim probably.

Me bitter? Too damn right I am when it comes to him slagging off the Hibs.

Jack
08-10-2013, 01:03 PM
It makes me quite cross when I hear them on the wireless so I tend not to listen or scoff at their ignorance.

We haven't played well, lets just moan about this season for now, so far. We are in 4th place playing some dire stuff but we're still fourth.

We have a squad that is capable of being so much better, we know that.

I really can't wait for it to click because if this is ***** and we're 4th and I'm feeling a bit giddy we'd better get the oxygen ready.

Fourth? Who'd have thunk?

Hiber-nation
08-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Sportsound are saying what they see. Any neutral would be bored to tears watching hibs. We never take the game to anyone and we have no pace. Its great we got a win last night but im not kidding myself that we deserve more credit or there is any media conspiracy against us.

Hooray, common sense at last.

If we play well and entertain we'll get praise.

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 01:16 PM
That is nonsense and you know it. No one is saying M Stewart is totally correct however he was asked his opinion for which he is PAID to give right or wrong. Perhaps the BBC should run their guest list past this forum and let us decide who should be allowed to speak on their shows. As you say Unbelievable some people getting so upset about a few comments, if you really are that upset contact the BBC and let them know. I am sure they will read out your comment live on air and 100 % of listeners will agree with you :greengrin

I'm not upset about the bbc and stewart et al.

I do get upset at the way our fans continually, repeatedly, repetitively, ad nauseaum, pull us apart rather than seeing things to build on.

Supporting the tam is one thing the yams are better at than us, it seems.

No matter what the bare stats say, there's 'supporters' who will always want rid of the manager/the ceo/the owner/east mains/the east stand rather than just getting behind the team.

Why won't they just ****.off and let the actual supporters do the through thick and thin stuff, instead of bleat bleat bleat.

Northernhibee
08-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Had a long drive up the road last night so didn't get the chance to listen in - someone on here posted that in the last seven games only Celtic have picked up more points than us.

Did they mention that fact or was it just laying into Hibs again?

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 01:19 PM

And he ****ed.up. End.of.

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Had a long drive up the road last night so didn't get the chance to listen in - someone on here posted that in the last seven games only Celtic have picked up more points than us.

Did they mention that fact or was it just laying into Hibs again?

They don't need.to, when our 'fans' do.

doddsy
08-10-2013, 01:35 PM
I was going to post a thread regarding the jamboism that is loud and naked on the BBC Sportsound and Sportscene. Consider this, football is a game of two halves

while I agree the first half wasn t great, we played much better in the second. This can be quite typical of a run of the mill scottish game. Have you ever heard

Hearts criticised on Sportsound or Sportscene when they have won a game completely against the run of play. No thought not, neither have I. It is all how they

bravely manned the barricades, then their tactics paid off when they scored against the run of play. That would typically be what the creepy jamboists do on

Sportsound or Sportscene. They reverse it when it is Hibs by saying how awful and lucky Hibs were and use some anonymous texts that could have come from any

where and use it to criticise Pat Fenlon. Just remember that the jamboists are hurting DEEPLY and trying sly and sneaky tactics to upset the Hibees.

Long may it continue. GITRUY Jamboist BBC

Sammy7nil
08-10-2013, 01:38 PM

I do get upset at the way our fans continually, repeatedly, repetitively, ad nauseaum, pull us apart rather than seeing things to build on.

No matter what the bare stats say, there's 'supporters' who will always want rid of the manager/the ceo/the owner/east mains/the east stand rather than just getting behind the team.

Why won't they just ****.off and let the actual supporters do the through thick and thin stuff, instead of bleat bleat bleat.

Sorry but again that is a very short sighted view, if you only had 3 - 4k of supports who followed the team through thick and more likely thin not questioning the board, the manager, the players etc the club would die on it's ****. We need to include all fans and potential fans we need common aims and goals. Most of all we need to listen to the fans who dont just follow blindly and findout how they can be brought back onside. We all want a bouncing ER with a great atmosphere and a winning team we just don't all agree on the best way to get there.

P.S. The yams have finished above us in the league and stuffed us regularly for nearly 30 years with the expetion of a couple of blip years (how they did that lets not go there cheating !) it is easy to be a better supporter in those circumstances lets see how they cope in the next 5 - 10 years.

Sammy7nil
08-10-2013, 01:39 PM
And he ****ed.up. End.of.

I wish I had been a **** up :greengrin

Ray_
08-10-2013, 01:57 PM

You clearly haven't been on KB since Saturday tea time.

Bobby's Cinema
08-10-2013, 02:28 PM
The mis-management of this club over the last few years I find it amazing that anyone watching Hibs on a regular basis can continue to have an axe to grind with the fans. Ridiculous

greenlex
08-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Hardly. Williams made the one on one block and the save with his foot. Thats two if he hadnt. The top corner one wouldnt have happened if the one with his foot had gone in so I make that two. The others were missable and hardly clear cut and we defended them well enough. To say 4 or 5 is a gross exaggeration. I do agree about needing an improvement though. The next 5 games are as difficult as they come and will shape our season and probably Pats futue.

hughio
08-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Totally agree.

Are we the only 2 who see this?

Why can't the management?

GlenrothesHibee
08-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure where Pat would get the time to listen to Sportsound. And as for lastnight, how many times during the Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, Yogi era were people moaning that we couldn't win ugly. Yes we weren't at our best lastnight but we won the football match and id take that every week (as we usualy do at the moment). What is it...4 wins in 6 or there abouts?

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 03:28 PM

Why's he all washed up at 30, claiming he coulda been a contender?

He's no success - he should have been, but he's out the game at 30 and passing bitter comments on the telly.

He's a no-mark. A loser. A never quite was has-been. And he knows it.

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 03:30 PM

You probably are; have you achieved what you were capable of?

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Sorry but again that is a very short sighted view

actually, short-sighted is a continual bleating for the manager's head on an 18 month cycle over a period of 10 years.

That's worked wonders for us, right enough.

B.H.F.C
08-10-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure where Pat would get the time to listen to Sportsound. And as for lastnight, how many times during the Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, Yogi era were people moaning that we couldn't win ugly. Yes we weren't at our best lastnight but we won the football match and id take that every week (as we usualy do at the moment). What is it...4 wins in 6 or there abouts?

Last night wasn't winning ugly. It was just sheer luck IMO. Not the goal of course, that was our one moment of quality on the ball. If Thistle had a striker then we would have been 2 or 3 down by the time we scored.

I think the difference in the StMirren and StJonstone games was that we had a lot of good performances. Last night we were poor all over the park, except the goalie. I came away from The StMirren game thinking we were on the right track but after the Inverness game, and despite winning last night, I just feel like we've taken a step or two back. A performance like we've had in the last two games will see us murdered against Celtic.

Northernhibee
08-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Last night wasn't winning ugly. It was just sheer luck IMO. Not the goal of course, that was our one moment of quality on the ball. If Thistle had a striker then we would have been 2 or 3 down by the time we scored.

I think the difference in the StMirren and StJonstone games was that we had a lot of good performances. Last night we were poor all over the park, except the goalie. I came away from The StMirren game thinking we were on the right track but after the Inverness game, and despite winning last night, I just feel like we've taken a step or two back. A performance like we've had in the last two games will see us murdered against Celtic.

After the derby when Pat complained that we short of luck many on this board ripped into him saying that a manager shouldn't be judged on luck but results.

Now results are coming our way people are screaming that it's just luck.

Velma Dinkley
08-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Quite right. If Partick had different players and were a better team they might have beaten us :top marks :greengrin

johnrebus
08-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Sportsound is IMHO symptomatic of the whole slide in the quality of BBC Radio Scotland, which quite frankly is absolutely bloody awful.

B.H.F.C
08-10-2013, 05:11 PM
After the derby when Pat complained that we short of luck many on this board ripped into him saying that a manager shouldn't be judged on luck but results.

Now results are coming our way people are screaming that it's just luck.

Last night was luck. As I said in my last post there were a lot of positives in the StMirren and StJonstone games.

However, our next 4 league games are Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Inverness. If we continue to perform as we have in the last two games we won't pick up any points.

WhileTheChief..
08-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Last night was luck. As I said in my last post there were a lot of positives in the StMirren and StJonstone games.

However, our next 4 league games are Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Inverness. If we continue to perform as we have in the last two games we won't pick up any points.

How were we lucky? We ground out a 1-0 win away from home, hitting them on the counter attack with an excellent goal.

The game was crap and we were awful for most of it but tell me what luck we had??

Their bad finishing and our good goalkeeping does not equate to luck.

B.H.F.C
08-10-2013, 06:00 PM
How were we lucky? We ground out a 1-0 win away from home, hitting them on the counter attack with an excellent goal.

The game was crap and we were awful for most of it but tell me what luck we had??

Their bad finishing and our good goalkeeping does not equate to luck.

Our performance was terrible. We were lucky in the sense that numerous defensive mistakes didn't cost us. The point I'm trying to make is that if we perform like that against a better quality of opposition, as we did last week at Inverness, we will get absolutely nothing from the game.

greenlex
08-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Liam Craig was lucky that nestled in the top corner. It could have gone anywhere! !!!!

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Our performance was terrible. We were lucky in the sense that numerous defensive mistakes didn't cost us. The point I'm trying to make is that if we perform like that against a better quality of opposition, as we did last week at Inverness, we will get absolutely nothing from the game.

The infirm have been winning for years, as often as not grinding out 'lucky' wins when being outplayed because they had a better keeper and a better finisher than the opposition.

We're hardly celtc, but let's stop pulling Hibs to bits when we're winning.

I support Hibs.

Jack
08-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Liam Craig was lucky that nestled in the top corner. It could have gone anywhere! !!!!

I suspect he practices being lucky almost every day.

B.H.F.C
08-10-2013, 07:57 PM

To be fair, I don't think anyone said Liam Craig's goal was luck

ancient hibee
08-10-2013, 08:49 PM
To be fair, I don't think anyone said Liam Craig's goal was luck

Not yet you mean.

Jonnyboy
08-10-2013, 09:05 PM

Pedant alert

I don't think a ball can nestle in the top corner A. I reckon things can only nestle on a surface - as in bottom corner :greengrin

Jack
08-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Pedant alert

I don't think a ball can nestle in the top corner A. I reckon things can only nestle on a surface - as in bottom corner :greengrin

Trevor Brooking disagrees :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf5aLJLP-vw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jonnyboy
08-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Trevor Brooking disagrees :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf5aLJLP-vw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Trevor who? :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
08-10-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure where Pat would get the time to listen to Sportsound.

He downloads the podcasts and listens in his lunch break.

Argylehibby
08-10-2013, 09:50 PM
It is strange how people think the goalkeeper performing well means the team is lucky. The rules say that a team should start a game with 11 players one of whom must be a goalkeeper and even if they are reduced to the minimum of 7 players during the game one of those 7 must be a goalkeeper. The keeper is part of the team and if he does his job better than the opposition players how is that "luck"? Someone mentioned earlier on this thread that Craig probably gets luckier the more he practices, same goes for Williams.

In short a member of our team did his job better than the Partick players whose job it was to get the ball in the net, that's not lucky.

The Green Goblin
08-10-2013, 10:00 PM
It is strange how people think the goalkeeper performing well means the team is lucky. The rules say that a team should start a game with 11 players one of whom must be a goalkeeper and even if they are reduced to the minimum of 7 players during the game one of those 7 must be a goalkeeper. The keeper is part of the team and if he does his job better than the opposition players how is that "luck"? Someone mentioned earlier on this thread that Craig probably gets luckier the more he practices, same goes for Williams.

In short a member of our team did his job better than the Partick players whose job it was to get the ball in the net, that's not lucky.

Good post. Williams was outstanding last night.

Geo_1875
08-10-2013, 10:50 PM

Why is he taking lunch breaks? Surely he could better spend his time on the training pitch.

greenlex
09-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Pedant alert

I'm lucky you were paying attention.

The Falcon
09-10-2013, 06:57 AM

Very true. If the situation was reversed and the Thistle keeper kept us at bay and they snatched a win against the run of play this place would be in meltdown about why we cant identify and sign a keeper like that, poor finishing and no end product, Pat and Rod must go.

But instead we won and (ahem) we were rubbish, we shouldnt be happy about this. Pat and Rod must go.

mjhibby
09-10-2013, 07:07 AM

Ive never got this goalkeeper thing either.He played well and did his job.While i would prefer more entertaining games the aim is to score one more than the opposition.Of course the papers say their striker had an off day but had that been us it would have been that our strikers were poor.Craig and williams are two very good players and the press need to live with the fact that on occassion they will win us games.Get over it.

hib1947
09-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Pat was one of the best player and captain for hibs and at that time hibs were one of the best teams to see because they were good and had a lot of good players at that time and if I remember right he only won a league winners medal when he when to Celtic :confused:and was glad for him not Celtic :confused:won but for him and the player he was for hibs he earn it and wish it had been the Hibs:flag:

IWasThere2016
09-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Best wait and see where we are after a full round of fixtures.

We've got Celtc and the Sheep next, before the Puddle-drinkers in the CIS.

The next 3 games are pivotal for our season - and more so PF IMHO.

JimBHibees
09-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Best wait and see where we are after a full round of fixtures.

We've got Celtc and the Sheep next, before the Puddle-drinkers in the CIS.

The next 3 games are pivotal for our season - and more so PF IMHO.

Dont disagree and alot will be how we play and if we lose to Aberdeen and Celtic the manner of any loss. If we lose all 3 including the cup that would be a sore one to take I think and PF would go in all likelihood.

cocopops1875
09-10-2013, 11:44 AM
I normally think this kinda chat is paranoid and awfully celticish, but having heard bits and bobs of the 6pm sports show on 810mw it's clear they don't rate Hibs, Fenlon or the way we play, contrast this to the total suck-fest they had for Derek McInnes last night "Great start" was one point getting thrown about "He's Really turned them round" another and my favorite "I have no doubt they will finish 2nd" all that while being on the same points as us

patlowe
09-10-2013, 12:14 PM
I normally think this kinda chat is paranoid and awfully celticish, but having heard bits and bobs of the 6pm sports show on 810mw it's clear they don't rate Hibs, Fenlon or the way we play, contrast this to the total suck-fest they had for Derek McInnes last night "Great start" was one point getting thrown about "He's Really turned them round" another and my favorite "I have no doubt they will finish 2nd" all that while being on the same points as us

I tend to agree with you re the paranoia stuff. I actually think the opinions of Jackson, Spiers et al towards the non-OF teams are less about an agenda and more about ignorance and a lack of effort to look into the circumstances of the clubs they are talking about. They go into ridiculous depth about the intricacies of the coma-inducing Rangers saga but when it comes to the rest they are clearly blagging it. Last night for example, why talk about the respective qualities of the teams going for 2nd when you can analyse Sir Walter Smith's tired ramblings for half an hour.

Technofob
09-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Are you entitled to a lunch break if you finish at 1 o'clock? :cb

Paisley Hibby
09-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Not biased in my opinion. They just think we are crap and they are right about that.

flash
09-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Not biased in my opinion. They just think we are crap and they are right about that.

To be honest they will never hate Hibs as much as some of the posters on this forum do.

NAE NOOKIE
09-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Borderhibbie76
09-10-2013, 05:34 PM
To be honest they will never hate Hibs as much as some of the posters on this forum do.

So true mate....ok we were poor on monday but ffs we won!! Some of the posters on here are unbelievable. ..

ancient hibee
09-10-2013, 05:35 PM

The Falcon
09-10-2013, 06:37 PM

:aok:

Phil D. Rolls
09-10-2013, 07:02 PM

Can't help feeling that some of the posts on here reflect what the poster thinks the pundit has said, rather than what was actually said. I believe this is called transference.

clerriehibs
09-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Can't help feeling that some of the posts on here reflect what the poster thinks the pundit has said, rather than what was actually said. I believe this is called transference.

But the window's closed ...