PDA

View Full Version : Players Ratings versus Partick Thistle

Davy Mac
07-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Williams 9 - Fantastic save with a one 2 one and with his legs to prevent certain goal MOM

Stevenson 5 - A sticking plaster in this position but will be ripped with smarter opposition
McGivern 5 - I really thought this guy was class when he first arrived but looked unsure and nervy
Nelson 8 - Part of the spine that won the game tonight
Hanlon 6 - Form is a bit up and down like a yoyo, good one minute ropey the next

Taiwo 4 - Game passed him by tonight but sat deeper than the deep blue sea
Thomson 7 - Quality performance and again part of the spine that we so badly need
Robertson 5 - Poor first half, don't know if tactics didn't allow to push higher up the pitch
Craig 6 - Finished well other than that the ball tend top fly over his head to make more of an impact

Collins 4 - Struggled to get in to the game and quite rightly subbed
Hefferman 8 - Really impressed me tonight, great fitba player could play at higher level TBH

Subbies

Zoubir 6 - Creative spark we soooo badly needed
Jones 5 - Got his foot on the ball and relaxed the team a bit
Stanton 2 - No time to impress

Ref 8 - Helpful performance

Fenlon - 5 We will get our erchies felt massively if the players keep playing so deep and backwards, be braver for goodness sake it's awful to watch at times

Fans 7 - Excellent once again

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Williams 10
Stevenson, 4 struggled
Nelson 4, poor
Hanlon 4, poor
McGivern, 5 average
Robertson, 4 poor
Thomson 6, half decent
Taiwo 3, terrible
Craig 5, poor but marked up for a great finish.
Collins 3, shocking
Hefferman 4, poor

Subs
OTJ 7 Changed things when he and Zoobi came on, we got hold of the ball at last.
Zoobi 6, see above
Stanton 2, not on long enough.

jodjam
07-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Williams was def mom but I enjoyed watching the heff. Always wanting the ball and linked the game up.

Fergus52
07-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Williams - 9
Stevenson - 7 dont understand his poor marks from other posters, dealt with everything defensively and was decent going forward
Nelson - 5 made a couple of awful mistakes but apart from that wasn't too bad
Hanlon - 7 solid, dealt with everything and put in some great challenges
McGivern - 6 lost his man a couple of times, apart from that was okay
Robertson - 5 tried hard, not his best game
Taiwo - 4 passing was dreadful
Thomson - 7 good performance
Craig - 6 great goal, didn't do much else
Collins - 3 poor game, first touch was awful
Hefferman - 7 worked hard, held the ball up well

Stanton - n/a hardly had any time
Zoubir - 7 did great for the goal
OTJ - 4 some really slack passing

Dashing Bob S
07-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Williams 10
Stevenson, 4 struggled
Nelson 4, poor
Hanlon 4, poor
McGivern, 5 average
Robertson, 4 poor
Thomson 6, half decent
Taiwo 3, terrible
Collins 3, shocking
Hefferman 4, poor

Subs
OTJ 7 Changed things when he and Zoobi came on, we got hold of the ball at last.
Zoobi 6, see above

Pretty much how I saw it. Hibs were poor and a great display by Williams and poor Thistle finishing kept us in it. I'd give Thomson, Craig and Zoubir pass marks, but everybody was pretty awful.

SMAXXA
07-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Williams 10
Stevenson, 4 struggled
Nelson 4, poor
Hanlon 4, poor
McGivern, 5 average
Robertson, 4 poor
Thomson 6, half decent
Taiwo 3, terrible
Collins 3, shocking
Hefferman 4, poor

Subs
Zoobi 6, see above

:confused: At how McGivern got more than the other defenders he was poor at best

GreenOnions
07-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Credit to the players for sticking at it when clearly we were far from our best. Unfortunately though marks for performances have to be based on quality rather than simply resilience:

Williams - 9 - Fantastic. Saved us from a gubbing
Stevenson - 5 Dogged defensively.
Nelson - 2 Nowhere near good enough. Nearly gave away his customary goal by completely missing a long straight clearance. Saved by Hanlon tackle
Hanlon - 5 Did okay in a mess of a defence.
McGivern - 3 - Seems to have lost confidence.

Overall - The whole defensive unit sits so deep giving the opposition soooo much space to attack us. We didn't do this against St Mirren where we played a much higher line and snuffed out their possession.

Robertson - 3 I really like Robertson and his effort for the team is excellent. Seems short of confidence though. Passing poor.
Taiwo - 3 Tom needs a rest. I agree with above post. I thought Tudur-Jones did enough tonight to warrant a start in our next game.
Thomson - 5 - Did okay. Passing more accurate than most.
Craig - 6 - He is a quality player. Didn't have enough of an impact but goal was a quality finish. That was the difference between the teams

Overall - Not enough movement and looking for the ball from our midfield. We were outnumbered but we have better players so should have been able to cope

Heffernan - 5 - Looks to be calm and to have ability. No chance to show it though with poor service
Collins - 3 - Poor tonight. Unable to win the ball or hold it up.

Zoubir - 7 - Showed quality. Set up goal and had one of our few shots on target
Jones - 7 - Definitely improved us when he came on

Summary - Defence needs someone reliable to play beside Hanlon and to push up the pitch to close down space for the opposition. We need more of an attacking threat from midfield - someone who can beat people and/or get into the box to support the strikers. In the absence of Harris and Cairney I'd like to see Zoubir get a start.

.......................Williams

Maybury..McPake/Forster..Hanlon..Stevenson

Zoubir...Tudur-Jones...Thomson..Craig

..............Heffernan...Collins

Up The Bracket
07-10-2013, 11:02 PM
I'll probably need to see the highlights as our seats weren't great but:

Williams - 9
Stevenson - 7
Nelson - 5
Hanlon - 7
McGivern - 4
Robertson - 6
Thomson - 8
Taiwo - 5
Craig - 7
Collins - 5
Heffernan - 6

Zoubir - 8
OTJ - 5

Fans - 10

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2013, 11:04 PM
:confused: At how McGivern got more than the other defenders he was poor at best

Let me type this slowly so you understand, this is a thread on folks opinion on how each player played, and these are my marks based on my opinion along with others.

Its ok if you disagree, in fact you can post your opinion giving your marks. :na na: :wink:

SMAXXA
07-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Credit to the players for sticking at it when clearly we were far from our best. Unfortunately though marks for performances have to be based on quality rather than simply resilience:

Williams - 9 - Fantastic. Saved us from a gubbing
Stevenson - 6 Dogged defensively.
Nelson - 2 Nowhere near good enough. Nearly gave away his customary goal by completely missing a long straight clearance. Saved by Hanlon tackle
Hanlon - 5 Did okay in a mess of a defence.
McGivern - 3 - Seems to have lost confidence.

Overall - The whole defensive unit sits so deep giving the opposition soooo much space to attack us. We didn't do this against St Mirren where we played a much higher line and snuffed out their possession.

Robertson - 3 I really like Robertson and his effort for the team is excellent. Seems short of confidence though. Passing poor.
Taiwo - 3 Tom needs a rest. I agree with above post. I thought Tudur-Jones did enough tonight to warrant a start in our next game.
Thomson - 5 - Did okay. Passing more accurate than most.
Craig - 6 - He is a quality player. Didn't have enough of an impact but goal was a quality finish. That was the difference between the teams

Overall - Not enough movement and looking for the ball from our midfield. We were outnumbered but we have better players so should have been able to cope

Heffernan - 6 - Looks to be calm and to have ability. No chance to show it though with poor service
Collins - 3 - Poor tonight. Unable to win the ball or hold it up.

Zoubir - 7 - Showed quality. Set up goal and had one of our few shots on target
Jones - 7 - Definitely improved us when he came on

Summary - Defence needs someone reliable to play beside Hanlon and to push up the pitch to close down space for the opposition. We need more of an attacking threat from midfield - someone who can beat people and/or get into the box to support the strikers. In the absence of Harris and Cairney I'd like to see Zoubir get a start.

.......................Williams

Maybury..McPake/Forster..Hanlon..Stevenson

Zoubir...Tudur-Jones...Thomson..Craig

..............Heffernan...Collins

we are 9 games into the season how can Taiwo need a rest lol he had an off night no more imo

SMAXXA
07-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Let me type this slowly so you understand, this is a thread on folks opinion on how each player played, and these are my marks based on my opinion along with others.

Its ok if you disagree, in fact you can post your opinion giving your marks. :na na: :wink:

your eyes must be painted on :wink:

GreenOnions
07-10-2013, 11:14 PM
we are 9 games into the season how can Taiwo need a rest lol he had an off night no more imo

Maybe we need a thread on semantics? :wink:

I like tom taiwo as a player. However, I think he was poor tonight and he's also contributed slightly less than Thomson and Robertson of late. Moreover - I was impressed with the impact Tudur-Jones had when he came on. Not saying he changed the game or anything - just that he improved us. That's what I was trying to say. Only trouble is - if we described every player's performance in such detail it would become an essay rather than a post!

SMAXXA
07-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Maybe we need a thread on semantics? :wink:

I like tom taiwo as a player. However, I think he was poor tonight and he's also contributed slightly less than Thomson and Robertson of late. Moreover - I was impressed with the impact Tudur-Jones had when he came on. Not saying he changed the game or anything - just that he improved us. That's what I was trying to say. Only trouble is - if we described every player's performance in such detail it would become an essay rather than a post!

I agree OTJ did well when he came one, hopefully a sign of things to come from him.

Credit to Fenlon also for making the changes. I've heard people criticise him for his subs but he realised early in the second half it needed changed and the double subs won us the game imo

GreenOnions
07-10-2013, 11:22 PM
I agree OTJ did well when he came one, hopefully a sign of things to come from him.

Credit to Fenlon also for making the changes. I've heard people criticise him for his subs but he realised early in the second half it needed changed and the double subs won us the game imo

Yep - you could be right.

I also really liked seeing Liam Craig's reaction at full time when we'd won the three points.

J-C
07-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Williams.......8
Stevenson......6
Nelson.......3
Hanlon.......5
McGivern......4

Robertson......4
Thomson.......7
Taiwo......4
Craig......5

Heff.......5
Collins.....3

OTJ.....5
Zoubir......6

Overall, bloody boring, lack pace, width and creativity. Nelson is a bombscare and we need shot asap, McGivern isn't the player from last year and OTJ has to be the slowest player in the history of the SPL.
Passing was atrocious throughout except for maybe Thomson who strolled through the game, team lacks belief, whether this is coming from the manager I don't know but if he's as negative as his team plays then it looks like it will be a while before I venture back to ER to watch that rubbish.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-10-2013, 11:49 PM
I thought we were piss poor apart from Williams, Craig tucked the goal away well and Zoubir gave us a wee bit extra when he came on and that was that!

Sir David Gray
07-10-2013, 11:58 PM
I was working tonight so only caught the last couple of minutes.

I'm quite encouraged by some of the comments on here and the fact that we've managed to win away from home and keep a clean sheet after playing so poorly.

Obviously we need to see an improvement in our performances as the season goes on but I think it's a good sign that we're winning games that we probably deserved to lose.

erskine-hibby
08-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Williams-8
Stevenson-6
Nelson-5
Hanlon-6
McGivern-4
Robertson-4
Thomson-7
Taiwo-4
Craig-5
Heffernan-5
Collins-4
OTJ-4
Zouby-5

Average scores for all apart from Williams who, a couple of flaps at crosses apart, was superb and Thomson who strolled through the game. Big difference when Zouby came on and he picked out Craig well, who's finish was brilliant.

Steven_Hibs
08-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Stevenson - 7 dont understand his poor marks from other posters, dealt with everything defensively and was decent going forward
Nelson - 5 made a couple of awful mistakes but apart from that wasn't too bad
Hanlon - 7 solid, dealt with everything and put in some great challenges

Please tell me you are winding me up!? Stevenson? Dealt with everything. The entire first half they were attacking down their left cause Stevenson was so weak. Robertson ended up right wing back just to cover for him. Stevenson is out of position, but most importantly out of his depth.

Hanlon is such a poor defender. Positionally suspect. Got lucky with that through ball. Nelson got caught out once yes. But for Hanlon this is happening too much. It's time to play Forster instead of Hanlon. We need to get back to developing young players again. Hanlon has had his chance.

Big90inOz
08-10-2013, 12:19 AM
We were / are piss poor
Is there a more negative boring side playing in the league than our present setup?

If Partick had won by 3 goals tonight it would have been justified, they were the only team playing with their heads up.

Thank god for Williams tonight.

B.H.F.C
08-10-2013, 01:58 AM
Williams saves and one moment of brilliance from Craig earned us 3 points.

Defensively we were diabolical, there were so many basic errors it was unreal. If Partick had a decent striker they would have been two or three up.

Midfield never had a grip of the game and were far too negative on the ball. I actually thought that area improved when Jones came on for Taiwo.

I know know they both scored against StJonstone and StMirren but I don't see much of a partnership between Heff and Collins. They are too far apart a lot of the time and don't seem to play off each other. Heff looked a lot more lively when he had Zoubir playing with him. One thing I would say in defence of the strikers is that the service was non existent.

I thought we we got away with one tonight. After questioning their desire last week I found it strange that Pat went with the same team but I suppose he would say it was justified as we won. My argument would be that we only started to play a bit when he made the two subs.

500miles
08-10-2013, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't be too critical of the performance. Partick have been playing like that for a lot of the season, but still lacking goals. They will either start scoring goals and climb up the league, or they will lose confidence and the performances will deteriorate. They are quick, have plenty of players who like to run with the ball, they have plenty of good movement and are tenacious. However, they need a plan B, or they will be found out by Christmas.

In the first half I felt we could be fairly pleased with our performance. We forced them to play in the first two thirds, and squeezed them into wide areas when they did break through. In the second half, I felt Taiwo was getting impatient, along with one or two others when trying to get the ball forward, and we started to give it away in silly positions. Tudur Jones came on, used his height to win the ball in the air, and bring it down to feet, which is something he does very well. Zoubir wasn't outstanding when he came on - he gave the ball away a lot - but when he got it right we got a decent chances and a goal out of it, so fair play.

Tactically, I thought we were pretty spot on, and when we wandered off script, Pat's subs got us back on. When our goal went in we looked more at ease, although Partick responded by upping the tempo even further - although giving us more of the ball in the process

Hiber-nation
08-10-2013, 06:24 AM
In the first half I felt we could be fairly pleased with our performance.

Tactically, I thought we were pretty spot on,

Wow..if that first half performance was fairly errmm...pleasing and we really were tactically spot on then it's time I gave up.

lucky
08-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Think some of the marking is a bit harsh. We played poorly but won. Our defense got a clean sheet and have conceded 1 goal more than Celtic. We are 21 points clear of them and sitting 4th equal in the league. Whilst Hibs are no Barcelona, we are a decent SPFL team. It's early days but its getting better.

Vault Boy
08-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Williams 9 - Outstanding saves to keep us in it.
Stevenson 6/7 - Thought he was the most comfortably player in defence when pushing forward with the ball.
Nelson 5 - Few shakey moments and his passing wasn't great.
Hanlon 6 - Better distribution than Nelson and never made a particularly notable mistake.
McGivern 5 - Really rate him, but seems like he hasn't quite gotten back to match fitness yet, passing was poor.
Robertson 5 - Good player, out of position and didn't make much impact.
Taiwo 4 - One of those games for Tom, his passing was off and players got past him a bit too easily.
Thomson 7 - Strolled it IMO. His passing was by far the best in the team.
Craig 6 - Cracking goal, looked good in flashes but we didn't get forward enough for him to have enough of the ball in attacking positions. Much like Robertson, but scored.
Collins 3 - The service to the strikers before he was subbed off was near non-existent, it's hard to give a true rating as there was very little to judge it on. Felt a bit sorry for him at times.
Heffernan 6 - When the changes were made I thought Paul's link up play was excellent and he managed to manufacture a couple of efforts out of nothing. Suffered with the lack of service for an hour.

SUBS:
Zoubir 7 - Got his head up to assist Craig and changed our complexion with his direct running and turn of speed. Had a couple of decent runs but his one meaningful contribution resulted in a goal. Looks ready to start.
OTJ 6 - Kept possession really well, we looked better when he came on. Probably deserves to start ahead of Taiwo after last night.

Aldo
08-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Please tell me you are winding me up!? Stevenson? Dealt with everything. The entire first half they were attacking down their left cause Stevenson was so weak. Robertson ended up right wing back just to cover for him. Stevenson is out of position, but most importantly out of his depth. Hanlon is such a poor defender. Positionally suspect. Got lucky with that through ball. Nelson got caught out once yes. But for Hanlon this is happening too much. It's time to play Forster instead of Hanlon. We need to get back to developing young players again. Hanlon has had his chance.

Did you watch the game with yur eyes shut. If you think Lewis and Hanlon were poor then what about Nelson and McGivern. Both Lewis and Hanlon (especially 1st Half) did their jobs. Hanlon one swipe in 2nd half caused a wee scare.

Nelson well caught a few times very poor distribution and if it wasn't for Lewis and Hanlon and Williams save we'd be 1 down. As for McGivern... Ball watching poor in tackle and his position at times in 1st half was terrible. Craig at time was exposed.

As for Robertson covering... He was doing his job.... Marking the full back whilst he was attacking.

Once again Lewis was asked to fill in and again didn't let the side down. Same with Hanlon.

With this post You my friend are on a wee fishing trip.

Brightside
08-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Did you watch the game with yur eyes shut. If you think Lewis and Hanlon were poor then what about Nelson and McGivern. Both Lewis and Hanlon (especially 1st Half) did their jobs. Hanlon one swipe in 2nd half caused a wee scare.

Nelson well caught a few times very poor distribution and if it wasn't for Lewis and Hanlon and Williams save we'd be 1 down. As for McGivern... Ball watching poor in tackle and his position at times in 1st half was terrible. Craig at time was exposed.

As for Robertson covering... He was doing his job.... Marking the full back whilst he was attacking.

Once again Lewis was asked to fill in and again didn't let the side down. Same with Hanlon.

With this post You my friend are on a wee fishing trip.

THIS is bang on...

Some people are really at it if they think Hanlon and Stevenson ahd worse games then Ryan and Nelson. My biggest issue though is that the players are just doing as they are told. We brought that pressure on ourselves last night by playing a flat deep defensive formation, and that changed completely when we brought on Zouby and OTJ. Only Pat doesnt seem able to see this in almost EVERY GAME we play.

Brightside
08-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Wow..if that first half performance was fairly errmm...pleasing and we really were tactically spot on then it's time I gave up.

Ambition eh... tactically spot on if we are looking to grind out 0-0 draws all year. Pat knows the style the fans want and surely it can't be what we had last night...

PeterboroHibee
08-10-2013, 07:19 AM
I'm quite encouraged by some of the comments on here and the fact that we've managed to win away from home and keep a clean sheet after playing so poorly.

If you see the highlights its a miracle we kept a clean sheet, Partick had so many chances and quite a few 1 on 1s. Shambolic defending that a better team would punish.

As for the ratings -

Williams - 9 Some stunning saves and kept us in it, without him it could have been 5/6-0

Stevenson - 5 I thought he was okay, one of our more composed players on the ball, but needs to get forward more.
Nelson - 2 Ive marked him up because of his Cruijff turn when surrounded by 3 players. Dreadful performance apart from that, far too slow and it was ridiculous to miss such a simple long ball through like he did.
Hanlon - 5 Again part of a fairly dodgy CB pairing, but I think he had to spend a fair part of that game covering for Nelsons mistakes so maybe a bit harsh. With a more competent CB partner he will be able to focus on his own game.
McGivern - 3 I felt he was a bit sluggish at times, and didnt get forward as much as I would like from a fullback.

Robertson - 4 Dont understand playing him as a winger other than to fit in with Fenlons negative tactics, Robertson works hard but he doesnt have the skill or pace to beat a man. His first touch is also pretty poor, Id much rather see him in the middle of the park.
Taiwo - 3 Didnt really notice him tbh.
Thomsons - 6 Passing was a bit sloppy at times but it seemed to be solely on him to link play between defence and the strikers. Looks composed on the ball but he needs someone more positive and with more energy (Robertson?) beside him to really make things happen.
Craig - 6 As with Robertson, what is the point of playing Craig on the wing without a proper game plan? Im a huge fan of him but he was never really in a position to get a ball into the box. Marked up for his lovely finish.

Heffernan and Collins - 4 Got absolutely no service from either the wings or from the centre of the pitch. Fenlon can say the team need to up their game, which is true, but hes the one that put out 4 fairly similar CMs across the midfield that just couldnt link up play. With 2 strikers we need someone either pushing forward into the huge gap between midfield and the forwards, or wingers who will get crosses in. Yesterday we had neither.

OTJ 6 -Made a difference when he came on
Zoubir 7 - Dont think it was the best we will see from him, but he wanted the ball, kept it on the ground and tried to make things happen. Partick players didnt seem to know what to do with him, and he set up the goal. Even against Celtic I think he should start, the team that started will get absolutely hammered so we may as well have a go.
Stanton - Too late to do anything.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 07:22 AM
THIS is bang on...

Some people are really at it if they think Hanlon and Stevenson ahd worse games then Ryan and Nelson. My biggest issue though is that the players are just doing as they are told. We brought that pressure on ourselves last night by playing a flat deep defensive formation, and that changed completely when we brought on Zouby and OTJ. Only Pat doesnt seem able to see this in almost EVERY GAME we play.

I'm not sure just what McGivern did wrong last night, he tried to get forward when he could. He also defended ok, as good if not better than any of the others in my opinion?

Stevenson was poor, not his fault entirely as he's not comfortable on the right and yet again made the team so unbalanced the opposition team targeted that side as our weak spot.

Nelson was shocking, as was Hanlon. Both couldn't pass water and defended at times like schoolboys, primary schoolboys.

How we kept a clean sheet last night was down to 2 things, Ben Williams playing out his skin and Partick thistle being inept in front of goal and basically being another very poor football team.

You can pay up at anytime you like, as you have more chance of biting your own arse than winning this bet?

3pm
08-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Hanlon was nowhere near as you've made out Gary.

However, there is always one or two times during a game where he switches off or makes an erse of it.

Brightside
08-10-2013, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure just what McGivern did wrong last night, he tried to get forward when he could. He also defended ok, as good if not better than any of the others in my opinion?

Stevenson was poor, not his fault entirely as he's not comfortable on the right and yet again made the team so unbalanced the opposition team targeted that side as our weak spot.

Nelson was shocking, as was Hanlon. Both couldn't pass water and defended at times like schoolboys, primary schoolboys.

How we kept a clean sheet last night was down to 2 things, Ben Williams playing out his skin and Partick thistle being inept in front of goal and basically being another very poor football team.

You can pay up at anytime you like, as you have more chance of biting your own arse than winning this bet?

BBC were calling him Franco Baresi last night..

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 08:16 AM
BBC were calling him Franco Baresi last night..

Yip i heard that, i also heard it mentioned now that Moyes has left Everton he's expected to snub the toffee's and sign for Man United to replace Rio Ferdinand in the January window.

Brightside
08-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Yip i heard that, i also heard it mentioned now that Moyes has left Everton he's expected to snub the toffee's and sign for Man United to replace Rio Ferdinand in the January window.

He's a bit too good for Man U at the moment. Gus Poyet was watching him last night... (once he re-tuned his telly)

GreenArmy1875
08-10-2013, 10:43 AM

But he played for man city remember so deserves an extra one or two every so often

Liberal Hibby
08-10-2013, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't be too critical of the performance. Partick have been playing like that for a lot of the season, but still lacking goals. They will either start scoring goals and climb up the league, or they will lose confidence and the performances will deteriorate. They are quick, have plenty of players who like to run with the ball, they have plenty of good movement and are tenacious. However, they need a plan B, or they will be found out by Christmas.

In the first half I felt we could be fairly pleased with our performance. We forced them to play in the first two thirds, and squeezed them into wide areas when they did break through. In the second half, I felt Taiwo was getting impatient, along with one or two others when trying to get the ball forward, and we started to give it away in silly positions. Tudur Jones came on, used his height to win the ball in the air, and bring it down to feet, which is something he does very well. Zoubir wasn't outstanding when he came on - he gave the ball away a lot - but when he got it right we got a decent chances and a goal out of it, so fair play.

Tactically, I thought we were pretty spot on, and when we wandered off script, Pat's subs got us back on. When our goal went in we looked more at ease, although Partick responded by upping the tempo even further - although giving us more of the ball in the process

That's how I saw it too. Just don't get the negativety about a professional away performance.

clerriehibs
08-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I'll probably need to see the highlights as our seats weren't great but:

Williams - 9
Stevenson - 7
Nelson - 5
Hanlon - 7
McGivern - 4
Robertson - 6
Thomson - 8
Taiwo - 5
Craig - 7
Collins - 5
Heffernan - 6

Zoubir - 8
OTJ - 5

Fans - 10

Fans were never better than 'the goalie'

Sammy7nil
08-10-2013, 12:50 PM

You do see the contradiction in your quote? Zoubie was okay and did exactly what a footballer is expected to do he was in NO WAY outstanding. Hibs had one effort on target and maybe 3 off target overall we were very very average leaning towards poor. Partick missed 2 - 3 chances you would expect an u/13 team to score from Hibs were very very fortunate to get anything from the game.
All you can say is a win is a win and hope the team performance improves next time or that we continue to be very lucky :wink:

Andy74
08-10-2013, 12:59 PM
You do see the contradiction in your quote? Zoubie was okay and did exactly what a footballer is expected to do he was in NO WAY outstanding. Hibs had one effort on target and maybe 3 off target overall we were very very average leaning towards poor. Partick missed 2 - 3 chances you would expect an u/13 team to score from Hibs were very very fortunate to get anything from the game.
All you can say is a win is a win and hope the team performance improves next time or that we continue to be very lucky :wink:

It was 3 on target from 6 attempts. 1 goal scored and none conceded.

inglisavhibs
08-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Hanlon was nowhere near as you've made out Gary.

However, there is always one or two times during a game where he switches off or makes an erse of it.

Hanlon was our best outfield player in the first half by a mile. Not quite so impressive second half when he switched off with the ball over his head (he did get back well and block the shot) and the swipe at the cross ball. Nelson does a lot of the crucial centre half stuff really well but is making too many costly errors at the moment. Mcgivern does not look match fit yet although he did reasonably well in the second half last night. Stevenson should never be played right back again. His positional sense when Williams saved with his legs was really poor and it should have cost us 2 points. Despite all that it's our midfield that is our biggest problem. Pat seems to have no idea how to set a team up to get forward and playing with four guys who can't run, beat a man or run beyond a defense certainly isn't the answer.

Jonnyboy
08-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Please tell me you are winding me up!? Stevenson? Dealt with everything. The entire first half they were attacking down their left cause Stevenson was so weak. Robertson ended up right wing back just to cover for him. Stevenson is out of position, but most importantly out of his depth.

Hanlon is such a poor defender. Positionally suspect. Got lucky with that through ball. Nelson got caught out once yes. But for Hanlon this is happening too much. It's time to play Forster instead of Hanlon. We need to get back to developing young players again. Hanlon has had his chance.

Here we go again. Has it ever occurred to you that the right sided midfielder is supposed to help the right back when the team is defending? He didn't just wander over there because he thought Lewis was struggling. In fact if your observation is correct about Robertson having to make his way over there then the player you should be criticising is Robertson and not Stevenson.

Re Nelson - he was caught out more than once. Several times in fact.

I do agree Forster should play though - in place of Nelson

500miles
08-10-2013, 10:14 PM

....There is no contradiction in what I said? He set up a goal and a good chance when he got it right, but gave the ball away too often, so he wasn't outstanding like some people seemed to think?

I maintain that went out to stifle Partick last night, which is the right course of action, considering how they play. They are quick, and they know where each other are all the time. We didn't want to give them space in our half, and let them play in front of us in the first half. With Heffernan, Craig and Collins, we have guys that can nick goals, and Zoubir on the bench lets us add another dimension to our play for 20 minutes or so.

We had a rub of the green on two oppertunities - although if Williams hadn't saved the shot after the save with his foot, he would be getting slated.

Pre-Fenlon Hibs would have crumbled last night.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2013, 08:28 AM
....There is no contradiction in what I said? He set up a goal and a good chance when he got it right, but gave the ball away too often, so he wasn't outstanding like some people seemed to think?

I maintain that went out to stifle Partick last night, which is the right course of action, considering how they play. They are quick, and they know where each other are all the time. We didn't want to give them space in our half, and let them play in front of us in the first half. With Heffernan, Craig and Collins, we have guys that can nick goals, and Zoubir on the bench lets us add another dimension to our play for 20 minutes or so.

We had a rub of the green on two oppertunities - although if Williams hadn't saved the shot after the save with his foot, he would be getting slated.

Pre-Fenlon Hibs would have crumbled last night.

This was Partick Thistle we were playing, not Barcalona? Do you remember the days when we imposed our game on the opposition, and our players knew where their team mates were?

You have described exactly why i hate the way we play football at Hibs now, we stifle the game and then try and nick a goal late on.

This will never be an acceptable way of playing the game for me, unless we are playing an away game in Europe. :rolleyes:

Brightside
09-10-2013, 09:15 AM
This was Partick Thistle we were playing, not Barcalona? Do you remember the days when we imposed our game on the opposition, and our players knew where their team mates were?

You have described exactly why i hate the way we play football at Hibs now, we stifle the game and then try and nick a goal late on.

This will never be an acceptable way of playing the game for me, unless we are playing an away game in Europe. :rolleyes:

Exactly. This is Thistle whose whole team cost about £50! We have bought some of the best players in the league outside of Celtic. Yet we are trying to stifle Partick Thistle! It only makes sense to Fenlon.

JimBHibees
09-10-2013, 09:50 AM

Completely agree why are we scared of Thistle respect them yes, scared of no way. In Thistle's last home game Aberdeen went at them from the start and won comfortably 3-0 it is exactly how we should have played. Our players seem to go into the game with little confidence and play at such a slow pace it scares no-one. Taiwo always looks back for a pass and Thomson while the best we have in terms of dictating the game needs someone a bit more forward thinking next to him. We need someone in charge who will give the players belief and set the team up to start well and dominate games, we always take about 30 mins to see how the other team are then think about attacking. Frustrating and not good enough IMO.