PDA

View Full Version : One Footed Players

HFC_NYC
07-10-2013, 09:10 PM
I've read tonight that Lewis was causing some frustration due to the fact that he is unwilling to take the ball down the line and prefers to cut in on his favored left foot. He's not the only one and sadly, won't be the last. But I can't understand how this is not addressed in training. Is it too much to ask that an hour a day be spent playing bounce games where it is forbidden to use your preferred foot? Even just hitting shots for 20 minutes with your weaker foot can surely yield some results?

lapsedhibee
07-10-2013, 09:19 PM
I've read tonight that Lewis was causing some frustration due to the fact that he is unwilling to take the ball down the line and prefers to cut in on his favored left foot. He's not the only one and sadly, won't be the last. But I can't understand how this is not addressed in training. Is it too much to ask that an hour a day be spent playing bounce games where it is forbidden to use your preferred foot? Even just hitting shots for 20 minutes with your weaker foot can surely yield some results?

Training? I can't understand why it's not addressed in Primary School. Absolutely bizarre that people can reach the age they are and be virtually unable to kick with fully half of their available feet!

Mr White
07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
It needs to be taught and learned at an early age. The way the brain develops, things like motor skills (language too) are way harder to learn after the age of ten- using ones weaker side included. I think it's worse for left footed youngsters as, being in the minority, they are played on the left from an early age and rarely encouraged to use their right foot.
Edit- maybe Liam Craig has been practicing with his weaker foot- that was a cracking strike with his right!

Number69
07-10-2013, 11:13 PM
I can kick with my weak foot because I practised to do it and I'm not talking anything strenuous, kicking the ball around with the wee man trying to teach him to do it...why cant anyone else?

Anyway the baw bag commentator said we have a few lefties, anyone able to name them?

SMAXXA
07-10-2013, 11:16 PM
I can kick with my weak foot because I practised to do it and I'm not talking anything strenuous, kicking the ball around with the wee man trying to teach him to do it...why cant anyone else?

Anyway the baw bag commentator said we have a few lefties, anyone able to name them?

Hanlon
McGivern
Stevenson
Craig
Thomo

half of tonight's team

lucky
07-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Maradona was one footed, left, did him no harm. Most players have a stronger side. Very few are equally competent on both feet.

Number69
07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Hanlon
McGivern
Stevenson
Craig
Thomo

half of tonight's team

Strange statistic. Is Nelson not a left pegger anaw?

lapsedhibee
08-10-2013, 05:23 AM
Maradona was one footed, left, did him no harm. Most players have a stronger side. Very few are equally competent on both feet.

Except that he'd have been better if he'd been able to kick with his right foot an aw.

What next, cocaine did him no harm, because he's regarded as a legend in spite of it?